Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2016, 02:50 PM   #351
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Not a good offseason to be a mid-range or lower team.

Never has been as far as free agency's concerned. After Aldridge, the most impactful player to actually change teams last year was probably Al-Farouq Aminu, and there were certainly quite a few players who got paid more than Aminu.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #352
Groundhog
Coordinator

Lakers moves seem crazy, but I guess it means they are all in on the core of Ingram/Russell/Clarkson and just want to surround them with vets while they learn the ropes and don't mind overpaying because the deals will be up when Ingram and Russell's rookie deals are up.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #353
nol
Banned

Looks like Horford's going to Boston for a 4-year max.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #354
wustin
College Prospect

Horford to Boston...I hope they beat the Cavs next playoffs.

Last edited by wustin : 07-02-2016 at 06:17 PM.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #355
RainMaker
General Manager

Wow. They should have gone all-in for Butler before the draft.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #356
RainMaker
General Manager

Also sounds like Atlanta didn't offer a full max. Kind of odd.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #357
Groundhog
Coordinator

Horford found the perfect place for his skillset IMO. I think Boston fans will love him.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #358
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Lakers moves seem crazy, but I guess it means they are all in on the core of Ingram/Russell/Clarkson and just want to surround them with vets while they learn the ropes and don't mind overpaying because the deals will be up when Ingram and Russell's rookie deals are up.

The Lakers are a mess. I honestly don't think there's much of a plan on place. Buss was telling people before last season if they weren't a playoff team he'd step down.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #359
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Also sounds like Atlanta didn't offer a full max. Kind of odd.
Yeah, that alleged final offer of 5/$136 and the side being $6m apart is weird... you're going to give him the 5th year, and go through trading Millsap, but you're unwilling to spend the extra $1.2 million a year to just offer him what he wanted?

Oh well, ego's never cease to amaze me, and I love it. If KD does come here...
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #360
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Horford found the perfect place for his skillset IMO. I think Boston fans will love him.
After the last couple of playoff series the smart fans already do!

And anyone complaining about the $$$ is crazy. $28m/y gets you Al Horford or Timofey Mozgov + Solomon Hill. I know which side I'm picking.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #361
wustin
College Prospect

I would be okay with Durant going to Boston.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #362
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah the East needs more talent. I'd be fine with Durant ending up in Miami or Boston.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #363
wustin
College Prospect

One of the side effects of this 20M+ cap space spike is that it makes it really hard for teams to tank since they have to reach the cap floor.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:06 PM   #364
whomario
Pro Starter

Biyombo to the Magic. Block City, Florida Be interesting how they stagger their minutes with Vucevic and Goordon (assuming all are there to start the season)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #365
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
One of the side effects of this 20M+ cap space spike is that it makes it really hard for teams to tank since they have to reach the cap floor.

Not really. There isn't much of a penalty for not reaching the cap floor. The money under the cap floor is essentially just spread out among the players on your roster IIRC.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #366
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post

You don't have to hit the cap floor. You can go below it and the difference just gets distributed between the players on the team.

You can also still trade for a bad contract for a pick and waive them. I do think it's harder to rebuild because 1st round picks are so much more valuable with the cap going up.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:11 PM   #367
wustin
College Prospect

Ah, I though the organization would get taxed or penalized for some reason like if they went over the luxury tax.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #368
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Biyombo to the Magic. Block City, Florida Be interesting how they stagger their minutes with Vucevic and Goordon (assuming all are there to start the season)

I'd be open to dealing Vucevic and/or Payton for Rubio. That defense could be as good as any Vogel had in Indiana and the Magic would surely be a playoff team.

No penalty for going under the floor, and it would be difficult to come up with a penalty worse than signing some mediocre player for $20 million just to hit the floor. Speaking of not paying out enough money, the entire league ended up over $100 million short of the 49 percent of revenue it owes the players last season, which makes hearing about players getting paid too much now even funnier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Yeah, that alleged final offer of 5/$136 and the side being $6m apart is weird... you're going to give him the 5th year, and go through trading Millsap, but you're unwilling to spend the extra $1.2 million a year to just offer him what he wanted?

Seemed weird to me as well. I could at least see the downside of 35-36-year-old Horford getting max money outweighing the upside of being a pseudo-contender for the next couple of years (assuming no Durant), especially based on how offering the extra year to keep Chris Bosh has turned out for the Heat, but once you even start to consider 5 years I don't know how you couldn't just go all the way for a player who has certainly outperformed what he's earned up to this point.

Last edited by nol : 07-02-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #369
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If it were another organization I might think the Hawks were at least aware of how giving max money to a non-max-worthy player might play to the fans ... bit I can't that actually getting much consideration based on the organization (or the fans, for that matter)

For as much as I hate the Howard signing, and had no love for giving Horford a max deal, not sure that I can understand letting $1m & change a year be any sort of difference making deal breaker.

Happy enough it turned out this way honestly, would much rather see Milsap stay & Horford go than the other way around, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense to me the way it played out.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:37 PM   #370
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess if you could have Clarkson for 4/72 and Deng for 4/50 it wouldn't be so bad looking.

But seriously who the fuck is Solomon Hill?
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #371
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Also isn't the 2019ish cap supposed to drop by a decent amount? Wonder if guys like Derozan and Conley will be making about 40% of the cap that year.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #372
Atocep
Coordinator

And Austin Rivers gets 3 years and $35 million. That makes all the other contracts look good in comparison.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #373
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Mavs offering Barnes a max offer sheet.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:52 PM   #374
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

You knew someone would. It's hard to imagine the Warriors not matching. With the obvious caveat of 'if Durant signs...' which seems really, really far-fetched.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:05 PM   #375
nol
Banned

Quote:
And Austin Rivers gets 3 years and $35 million. That makes all the other contracts look good in comparison.

Don't know what you've been looking at. Austin Rivers is a run-of-the-mill NBA bench player who signed for slightly more than the other run-of-mill bench players did because he's younger than all of them and can at least get slightly better.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #376
MrBug708
Head Coach

Rivers probably doesn't get that offer if his dad isn't the coach. The offer to Crawford is what makes that offer bad
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:11 PM   #377
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm not really sure what the Bulls plan is at the moment.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:13 PM   #378
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Rivers probably doesn't get that offer if his dad isn't the coach. The offer to Crawford is what makes that offer bad

Eh, he's a restricted free agent who by definition is going to be overpaid by a million or two a season. Not sure how that's bad enough to stand out from everything else. Dion Waiters is gonna get an offer sheet of around $16 million once the other options dry up.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #379
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Also isn't the 2019ish cap supposed to drop by a decent amount? Wonder if guys like Derozan and Conley will be making about 40% of the cap that year.

Last I saw they projected 107, 105, 106 then 112 and that was before the revenue for jerseys ads were known.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:25 PM   #380
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Eh, he's a restricted free agent who by definition is going to be overpaid by a million or two a season. Not sure how that's bad enough to stand out from everything else. Dion Waiters is gonna get an offer sheet of around $16 million once the other options dry up.

Last year was his best season and he improved to replacement level and he doesn't offer a single skill that isn't easily replaced. 66th rated pg by rpm last year, which was an improvement from 70th the year before.

If his dad wasn't coach of the Clippers he'd be in the D-League, if not overseas. He certainly wouldn't get $12 mil per season from anyone else, even in this market.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:43 PM   #381
nol
Banned

Quote:
Last year was his best season.

Yep, because he was 23 years old and players tend to be better at 23 than 22, 21, 20, or 19 (and better still at 24, 25, and 26). On the flip side, players tend to be worse at 33 than 32, 31, 30, or 29. Paying a 26-year-old Austin Rivers $12 million is certainly not worse than paying 33-year-old Timofey Mozgov $16 million, especially when you consider that as a team at the cap the Clippers could only replace Austin Rivers with a $4 million/year player (let me know when someone signs for that amount of money).

I could just as easily say that if Evan Turner hadn't had one good season at Ohio State and gotten drafted 2nd overall, he'd have been out of the league by now, but that doesn't stop him from being an average NBA player who's getting paid what he got.

Last edited by nol : 07-02-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:48 PM   #382
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Yup, we have a good comparison for Rivers price point in that of Dellavedova. Good defensive players with limited offensive skill sets.

Certainly dont think this is a great signing but fits into what players of that ability are being paid right now.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:56 PM   #383
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm not really sure what the Bulls plan is at the moment.

They're about one trade away from "see: Sixers, Philadelphia" being the answer to your question
Old 07-02-2016, 10:58 PM   #384
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
33-year-old Timofey Mozgov $16 million

But "he's seven feet tall ... and you can't ... teach ... dat"

Old 07-02-2016, 11:30 PM   #385
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dion and Boogie on the same team has gotta happen.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #386
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If it were another organization I might think the Hawks were at least aware of how giving max money to a non-max-worthy player might play to the fans ... bit I can't that actually getting much consideration based on the organization (or the fans, for that matter)

For as much as I hate the Howard signing, and had no love for giving Horford a max deal, not sure that I can understand letting $1m & change a year be any sort of difference making deal breaker.

Happy enough it turned out this way honestly, would much rather see Milsap stay & Horford go than the other way around, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense to me the way it played out.

Agreed. If it where between Saps and Horford, I want to keep Saps. I just couldn't see giving Horford a 5 year max deal, but then the way this FA period is going that is probably what he was worth.

In the end, the team took a big step back. Howard does things Horford can't (better rebounder, more post presence) but the team loses the things Hoford was so good at (spreading the floor, hitting midrange shots, hustle D). We now have no back pg (with very little money or resources to find one), and still need a starting sg (Korver desperately needs to move to the bench). I am very disappointed. This looks like a bottom level playoff team, which is probably the worst position to be in. Hell, if Howard gets injured (and he almost definitely will), the team might be better off because they will become a lottery pick team.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:18 AM   #387
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But "he's seven feet tall ... and you can't ... teach ... dat"

So Schröder is Enzo?

murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #388
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Who is Tyler Johnson?
Old 07-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #389
nol
Banned

Miami's version of Delly. The original Delly might need to reexamine things with his agent for what we're seeing other backup point guards get.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #390
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Feel like Durant is going to go back to OKC for a 1-year swan song rather than bolt now, but I guess we'll find out soon. Seems weird to drag it out this long if you're just gonna go back though.

David Aldridge on Twitter: "Kevin Durant has concluded his meeting with the Miami Heat. He will meet with the Thunder in NY later today & then hunker down to decide."
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #391
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Who is Tyler Johnson?

Bumpy getting paid!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #392
nol
Banned

Speaking of big free agents in 2017, I was already thinking of Seth Curry, who had a pretty nice finish to the season (16 ppg in April on 48% shooting from 3) as a possible bargain at backup point guard. Now if I'm Charlotte, I might as well throw $12-15 million per year at him in hopes he can put in the good word for his brother.

Edit: if you want to see some players who will be more relevant to the NBA in 2-3 years than most of the guys signing eight-figure contracts, the FIBA U17 World Championship is streaming here. USA has quite a few top recruits/future one-and-done type players.

Last edited by nol : 07-03-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #393
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Miami's version of Delly. The original Delly might need to reexamine things with his agent for what we're seeing other backup point guards get.
Forget Delly, Eric Gordon needs to have some questions... Tyler Johnson 4/$50, Austin Rivers 3/$35, Eric Gordon 4/$53. How does Gordon not get more?!? I know he's hurt (a lot), but he's a legit starter and in his prime.

And put me in the camp that thinks Austin Rivers isn't any better than multiple D-league guards available for the minimum. He has such a big ego on offense he's a minus player on that end imo.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:48 PM   #394
nol
Banned

Quote:
And put me in the camp that thinks Austin Rivers isn't any better than multiple D-league guards available for the minimum. He has such a big ego on offense he's a minus player on that end imo.

And if he's a slight minus on offense and a slight plus on defense, that averages out to be an ordinary NBA rotation player. Surely you could name at least one D-league guard if there are multiple players who could come in and put up 21 points and 8 assists in a playoff game. I mean, Memphis had the whole D-league to cycle through at the end of the season and obviously couldn't find anyone who wasn't horrendous against the Spurs. Here's Xavier Munford, a player who's actually older than Austin Rivers. He averaged 20 points and 6 assists in the D-league, so let's see how that stacks up in the NBA.

Last edited by nol : 07-03-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #395
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Forget Delly, Eric Gordon needs to have some questions... Tyler Johnson 4/$50, Austin Rivers 3/$35, Eric Gordon 4/$53. How does Gordon not get more?!? I know he's hurt (a lot), but he's a legit starter and in his prime.

Gordon's getting half of the max cause he will play half of the games.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #396
wustin
College Prospect

He'll also hog the ball half as many times as James Harden
Old 07-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #397
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Who is Tyler Johnson?

I asked that exact same question earlier today.

I suspect he might actually be the most anonymous of all the guys who got paid this off season so far.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #398
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
And if he's a slight minus on offense and a slight plus on defense, that averages out to be an ordinary NBA rotation player. Surely you could name at least one D-league guard if there are multiple players who could come in and put up 21 points and 8 assists in a playoff game. I mean, Memphis had the whole D-league to cycle through at the end of the season and obviously couldn't find anyone who wasn't horrendous against the Spurs. Here's Xavier Munford, a player who's actually older than Austin Rivers. He averaged 20 points and 6 assists in the D-league, so let's see how that stacks up in the NBA.
I'm not arguing there's a ton of D-league guys who could step in and be a good role player on a contender, I'm saying Austin Rivers isn't one either. No other team in the league wanted him when he was on an ELC, the Celtics would've released him if GM Doc didn't cough up an asset (that could be used to get a guy like Demetrius Jackson and see if you can find a good role player on a dirt cheap deal), and I very much doubt there was any team willing to give him a bigger offer sheet. GM Doc gave up top much in that trade for him, and now he's paying him too much money, and we all know it's connected to their relationship. He should be an 11th/12th man who ends up in a rotation when injuries happen, not your 7th/8th guy making 11% of the cap.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #399
Groundhog
Coordinator

I like Tyler Johnson based on what I've seen of him before his injury. Athletic, OK handles (but more of a combo guard), and a decent jumper. Only 24, so his money makes more sense to me than some of the others. I'd rather pay him than Austin Rivers, anyway, who has 1 or 2 games a season where he catches fire from deep and seems to make some folks forget all the other times he plays out of control and can't hit the side of the barn.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:16 PM   #400
wustin
College Prospect

Austin Rivers played very well this past season, if Jeremy Lin can get 8 figures I don't see how Austin couldn't either.

Edit: I know for marketing purposes, Jeremy Lin is more justified paying that amount of money. He's asian and there's that whole Linsanity craze in his career.

Last edited by wustin : 07-03-2016 at 06:18 PM.