Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2016, 08:08 PM   #351
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I believe that's the point he's trying to make. If it's about Cam showboating, and not about race, why aren't those other players (who also showboat) having the same reaction?
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #352
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I believe that's the point he's trying to make. If it's about Cam showboating, and not about race, why aren't those other players (who also showboat) having the same reaction?

It's not because he's black. At least, not on a grand scale that is being purported by ESPN. As for Aaron Rodgers, I didn't realize he did the Discount Doublecheck every game...didn't know Favre had a celebration...same for JJ Watt! I DO know that Cam has one....thanks to ESPN. Logically though, it would appear that ... QB TD Celebration level of effort = level of "outrage". Not racism.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #353
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
It's not because he's black. At least, not on a grand scale that is being purported by ESPN. As for Aaron Rodgers, I didn't realize he did the Discount Doublecheck every game...didn't know Favre had a celebration...same for JJ Watt! I DO know that Cam has one....thanks to ESPN. Logically though, it would appear that ... QB TD Celebration level of effort = level of "outrage". Not racism.

What evidence do you need to be provided with that will prove that racism is a factor in the dislike of SOME for Cam Newton?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:14 PM   #354
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
What evidence do you need to be provided with that will prove that racism is a factor in the dislike of SOME for Cam Newton?

Sure for some. But people hated Manziel for show-boating as well. I think he is white, right?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #355
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Further on Cam....
Some people don't like him because of the laptop incident in college.
Some people still feel he knew his dad was trying to sell him to the highest bidder in college.
Some felt he was a cheater and never should have won the Heisman.
And some don't like him because he is black.
Racism may be a reason for some. But there are other reasons that probably make up the greater percentage. (btw, I don't have a problem with him expect he plays my Falcons).
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #356
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'd argue that most of the it is race related. The people who I usually confront about hating Cam by other examples say something like "I don't know about them showboating, if they do it to, then I don't like it either". Really, you don't know about JJ Watt's showboating? Or are you trying to backtrack from your racist statements?
Old 02-01-2016, 09:44 PM   #357
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Sure for some. But people hated Manziel for show-boating as well. I think he is white, right?

Nobody said that there are not reasons for people to hate Cam for his showboating if you are inclined to do so. If you hate showboating (specifically at the QB position), then you are absolutely going to hate Cam, Johnny, AND Aaron Rodgers (among others) because all three are showboating QBs. I am just wondering why we are uncomfortable with the idea that racism might be a factor for those that hate Cam.

I find it similar to the discussion as to whether hate towards Tim Tebow had anything to do with his religious views. Those on one side saying that the views have nothing to do with their hate for him as a QB and vice versa on the other side.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #358
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

I didn't discount some are in it because he's black. I put that disclaimer in the other post already.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:07 PM   #359
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
He seems to genuinely have fun playing the game. The league needs more like him.

The planet needs less assholes like him.

He's a CEI away from being worth a karmic chuckle afaic.

The sad part is that he's far from being the most deserving guy in the league for that fate, just one among the masses of them.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:08 PM   #360
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'd argue that most of the it is race related. The people who I usually confront about hating Cam by other examples say something like "I don't know about them showboating, if they do it to, then I don't like it either". Really, you don't know about JJ Watt's showboating? Or are you trying to backtrack from your racist statements?

Where do you confront these people?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:08 PM   #361
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Some people still feel he knew his dad was trying to sell him to the highest bidder in college.

Trying?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #362
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Where do you confront these people?

The local pub, Facebook, to name a couple places.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:20 PM   #363
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The local pub, Facebook, to name a couple places.

You must be a real joy at the local pub. "What the fuck are you racist bastards doing? Trying to relax? Fuck no...we're going to argue about how racist you bastards are right now!"
Old 02-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #364
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You must be a real joy at the local pub. "What the fuck are you racist bastards doing? Trying to relax? Fuck no...we're going to argue about how racist you bastards are right now!"

I most definitely am . Most of us can't stand those racist anti-Cam dance bastards. If you are trying to relax don't be talking about how you hate Cam due to showboating. Bring some sports intelligence if you are going to talk about sports with me.

I don't know how you do things in your local pubs, but we don't really like it when people spout off racist nonsense in ours. Though I guess you would rather just let them relax, even if they spout some slurs while chatting with you about the game?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-01-2016 at 10:41 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:29 AM   #365
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I didn't discount some are in it because he's black. I put that disclaimer in the other post already.

You stated that it is not because he is black at least not on a grand scale. All we are really discussing are the percentage breakdown of the factors that going into hating Cam and what percentage race has to rise to make it significant on a grand scale for each individual.

I can only tell you in discussions I have had with the anti Cam faction, showboating, fake personality and the most recent factor, he does not act like Peyton Manning have all come up as reasons to dislike him. Unfortunately, far too often, it ends with most saying something to the effect of "I know others also fit those factors but when Cam does "X", it just rubs me the wrong way." I think it is fair ask what this unknown emotional factor is.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:32 AM   #366
Kodos
Resident Alien

He's stopped doing this this season, but Cam always seemed to be pouting alone at the far end of the bench with a towel over his head when things went poorly in past seasons. Didn't seem like a "team" guy.

I don't consider myself a hater of Newton. I put myself as more of a Cam disliker. I like that he gives footballs to kids after scores. But I've always preferred the Barry Sanders type of player to the Deion Sanders type.

Regardless of how much I like him, he's turned into a hell of a dual-threat QB. He's much better than I ever thought he would end up being.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:44 AM   #367
Logan
Head Coach

I guess what's confusing me about the racism angle being so front and center is where was any of this the last two years? By my recollection there was a black QB starting for the NFC during the last two Super Bowls. Are the racists cool with black QBs as long as they don't dance?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:00 AM   #368
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I really like Cam Newton.

Football is a game and it's entertainment. We ask the guys playing it to play with a ton of emotion, give their all, put their bodies and minds on the line, but then get all pissy and upset if they show "too much" emotion after scoring a touchdown, getting a first down, or if something doesn't go their way (the pouting). It's a ridiculous double standard and it's so weird to me that there is this large portion of the fanbase that thinks the game should be treated so seriously and sacrosanct.

I like seeing players have fun and do their crazy ass dances and celebrations and shit. It's a game. It's entertainment. If these guys are going to put it all out there, let them have some fun and be expressive.

Also, when it comes to Cam Newton, I think a lot of it's race based. J.J. Watt does all kinds of shananigans on the field and sidelines and no one really says anything about him.

I do find Russell Wilson insufferable. He's an amazing player. I love watching him play, but he seems like a weird alien person with his Jesus water and his Googled twitter compliments about his girlfriend and all that. He doesn't seem like a real person.

Oh! The Lions signed Al Golden to coach their tight ends. All of the crappy ex-college head coaches are belong to us!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 02-02-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #369
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Travis Kelce is known for doing a different dance on every single touchdown. It amuses me. Not sure why Cam Newton is any different than that.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #370
Logan
Head Coach

The only people I've seen attempt to take on JJ Watt for being completely insufferable are the Barstool Sports guys.

Last edited by Logan : 02-02-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:36 AM   #371
Kodos
Resident Alien

Deion Sanders pulling his groin while high-stepping was a good moment for me.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:09 AM   #372
Thomkal
Head Coach

I think some people have a problem with Cam because at times he looks like he is celebrating himself-telling the world how great he is, how much of a superman he is instead of how good whomever just caught his TD pass is. With Benjamin hurt, he basically has a bunch of no-name receivers and Greg Olsen to throw to. Makes him stand out all the more.

Last edited by Thomkal : 02-02-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #373
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I do find Russell Wilson insufferable. He's an amazing player. I love watching him play, but he seems like a weird alien person with his Jesus water and his Googled twitter compliments about his girlfriend and all that. He doesn't seem like a real person.
Oh, he's real all right. He really is that religious, and he really does believe some of the crazy stuff he's trying to sell. Believe me, as a Seahawks fan I cringe at some of that stuff.

But his heart is in the right place, and I'll take his kind of weirdness over Adam Jones or Richie Incognito any day.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #374
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Travis Kelce is known for doing a different dance on every single touchdown. It amuses me. Not sure why Cam Newton is any different than that.

Maybe I can help with the difference.

Travis Kelce = who?

Give him an equivalent profile & if he's equally annoying I'm sure he'll get his turn in the barrel.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #375
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

how is this for an opinion.

I strongly disliked Cam because of, well everything that came before the NFL. Stolen laptops, Cecil made them pay, Auburn and the numerous accusation there et al.

I also thought he'd be an NFL flop.

I am actually coming around on him now Largely BECAUSE of the antics.

What does that mean about my racial views?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #376
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The only people I've seen attempt to take on JJ Watt for being completely insufferable are the Barstool Sports guys.

For one thing, I think I only saw one Texans game all season. So he's not even really on my radar.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #377
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looks like the Browns may be ready to cut bait on Johnny Football:

Statement from Cleveland Browns EVP of Football Operations Sashi Brown on Johnny Manziel
Old 02-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #378
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I don't know a lot about Cam. I saw some kind of talk show clip where he had bright pants and did a great job explaining all the things that he has to account for when running a play, which was cool and made me like him. He also seems really good at football.

That said, as a Broncos fan I fully expect to hate him by the end of SB50.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:57 PM   #379
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
how is this for an opinion.

I strongly disliked Cam because of, well everything that came before the NFL. Stolen laptops, Cecil made them pay, Auburn and the numerous accusation there et al.

I also thought he'd be an NFL flop.

I am actually coming around on him now Largely BECAUSE of the antics.

What does that mean about my racial views?

This mostly summarizes me as well. I like that he is enthusiastic on the field and has fun out there.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #380
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Carson Wentz moving all the way up to #2 on a mock. Would be the highest FCS player drafted since McNair went #3.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #381
AlexB
Pro Starter

Didn't know anything about Cam before he was drafted, but seems to be an enthusiastic guy, exciting to watch and love the way he presents the TD ball to the kids (that girl's excitement at getting the ball in the the Championship game was priceless!). And the Superman celebration is pretty cool IMHO.

Didn't realise he was hated - jealousy is at the root of it I'm guessing?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:31 PM   #382
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Didn't realise he was hated - jealousy is at the root of it I'm guessing?

Cam isn't really doing anything new this year but until they started winning no one really seemed to care, so I suppose so for the most part?

Also just from reading a little (and I do mean a little, I really don't go too far out of my way seeking out any of this) on a couple forums and reddit, a signifcant majority of people seem to like Cam. But it makes for a good storyline and there's 2 weeks between the NFC/AFC Championship and the Super Bowl so its getting a ridiculous amount of attention.

There are definitely people who dislike Cam a whole lot for various reasons, how much of it racial/generational is worthwhile to talk about, and its a legit story on the whole, but holy crap has it gotten to be a huge thing this week.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:26 PM   #383
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
This mostly summarizes me as well. I like that he is enthusiastic on the field and has fun out there.

Basically, this is me too. I remember that Cowboys WR back in the day with the gunslinging antics and loved it. Not sure why the NFL didnt like it. Its football, not golf.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #384
Thomkal
Head Coach

Report: Kaepernick wants to sever ties with 49ers to join Jets | FOX Sports
Old 02-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #385
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Chip Kelly is the best thing to happen to Kaep - he'd be an idiot to leave that behind.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:22 PM   #386
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

also would make 16M with the 49ers....much much less with the jets

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #387
Logan
Head Coach

I'd pay good money to watch the NYJ media and Kaep interact.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #388
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Chip Kelly is the best thing to happen to Kaep - he'd be an idiot to leave that behind.

Is he really? He sure didn't do well with his hand-picked choice for QB in Philly. Jury remains out on being a good NFL coach in my mind.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:45 AM   #389
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Is he really? He sure didn't do well with his hand-picked choice for QB in Philly. Jury remains out on being a good NFL coach in my mind.
Bradford was closer to what he wanted than Foles, but I'd hardly say he was who he really wanted.

It's funny how a 6-9 season after two 10-6 seasons suddenly puts his bonafides in question as a coach. As a GM? Sure.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #390
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Sad stuff. Kenny Stabler had CTE:

Quote:
On a scale of 1 to 4, Stabler had high Stage 3 chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or C.T.E., the degenerative brain disease believed to be caused by repeated blows to the head, according to researchers at Boston University. The relationship between blows to the head and brain degeneration is still poorly understood, and some experts caution that other factors, like unrelated mood problems or dementia, might contribute to symptoms experienced by those later found to have had C.T.E.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #391
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I think the NFL could be in trouble here. Just a feeling that we're just skimming the surface on concussions.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:26 PM   #392
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Manziel allegedly hit ex-girlfriend; won't be charged - NFL.com

I'm sure another team will be rushing to sign him when he's released.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:35 PM   #393
cuervo72
Head Coach

Cowboys ain't care.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #394
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Manziel allegedly hit ex-girlfriend; won't be charged - NFL.com

I'm sure another team will be rushing to sign him when he's released.

Cleveland Browns will cut Johnny Manziel on March 9 - NFL.com
Old 02-05-2016, 07:57 AM   #395
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:29 AM   #396
Logan
Head Coach

Manziel's agent fired him.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:02 AM   #397
Logan
Head Coach

His father was interviewed and said "if they don't get him help, he won't live to see his 24th birthday". Not sure who the "they" would be there but maybe his father should be part of that.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #398
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
His father was interviewed and said "if they don't get him help, he won't live to see his 24th birthday". Not sure who the "they" would be there but maybe his father should be part of that.

I can only assume (hope) that this is above and beyond help his father gives.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #399
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I have a relative who has major drug addiction issues, and has for years (nearly decades). They have an incredibly strong support system from the family and all of the reasons in the world to clean their act up (four children, dependent grandparents, etc), but they just can't do it. This person's father is still around, and the father can and does do everything in his power to support, help and admonish said person, all to no avail. Like I said, this has been going on for nearly twenty years.

It could very well be that Manziel's father is in the same place, and simply understands that it doesn't matter what he does.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 02-05-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:41 AM   #400
Kodos
Resident Alien

I have a sister-in-law who is in the same position. All sorts of support, but none of it matters, because she doesn't really want to stop.