Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #351
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Dunk City looked impressive tonight. This team won as a 15 seed a few years ago. Can they possibly put a scare or even pull of the unthinkable against a UNC team who has struggled at times and might come in over confident after their ACC tournament run?

No. FDU was that bad. I give the Eagles some credit, but their game with UNC will be over by early second half.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #352
Logan
Head Coach

I don't think the story about the Cal assistant being fired for sexually harassing a reporter made it here, but looks like Cuonzo Martin now has some questions to answer:

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:37 PM   #353
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Normally the cynic in me would say that Martin would skate on this, but given the issues Berkeley has had with sexual harassment lately, he could be in some real hot water.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #354
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Normally the cynic in me would say that Martin would skate on this, but given the issues Berkeley has had with sexual harassment lately, he could be in some real hot water.
And I'm cynical from the other side. Hufnagel sounds like a creep, but when the texting is over a period of months and you're meeting in bars and driving back to his apartment I'd at least like to hear his side of the story.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #355
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
And I'm cynical from the other side. Hufnagel sounds like a creep, but when the texting is over a period of months and you're meeting in bars and driving back to his apartment I'd at least like to hear his side of the story.

Hasn't he already admitted to trying to "trap her" in his apartment?
Old 03-16-2016, 05:04 PM   #356
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Hasn't he already admitted to trying to "trap her" in his apartment?
I just briefly read the SF Chronicle article linked above. He admits to trying to have sex with her for sure, but I think the implication from his side is that it was more of a two-way street than the firing suggests. (Looks like he used the word "trick", but never says he "trapped" her in the garage - that's her implication that she felt like he was trying to trap her, but both sides agree that no actual unwanted sexual contact occurred and she ended up leaving on her own accord, possibly driven by him.) If he's texting her over a period of months about hanging out in his apartment and threesomes, then she meets him at a bar and drives/is driven back to his apartment that's a pretty big red flag for me. (As well as the fact they can't agree on who drove.)

I'm not defending him as it's certainly unprofessional and at least a little creepy on his part, but I'm not even sure it qualifies as sexual harassment. As far as I can tell, she's not a university employee and I'm not sure there's anything that requires a college basketball staff to give the media any info. (I realize he had some press liaison title that complicates things, but that sounded unofficial.) If anything I think she'd have a case against whatever newspaper fired her if they fired her for losing access after turning down unwanted sexual advances.

I just think given the on-campus climate towards sexual allegations, and other past incidents like Duke Lacrosse or Dez Wells where the university obviously was more concerned with public perception than due process it's worth letting the actual courts handle this. Certainly before blaming Martin, because as far as I can tell from the timeline all the incidents happened before her email to Martin - if he told Huffnagel to knock it off, and no further incidents occurred I would consider that more than reasonable on his part. But that's a key part of the timeline I can't figure out; i.e. if the alleged harassment continued past that email and before the athletic department was notified 2 months later.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 03-16-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:06 PM   #357
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not even sure it qualifies as sexual harassment.

In today's environment? I'm pretty sure that even thinking about sex abstractly qualifies as "harassment" at this point.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:26 PM   #358
digamma
Torchbearer

I knew Yanni a little bit from when he was at Harvard. He always seemed like a decent enough guy and was fantastic coach who has quickly moved up the assistant ranks.

Definitely seems like a spot where he got caught a bit with his pants down. He took a relationship to be more than what it was and it blew up on him. I don't think he's the sleazeball asshole that the bloggers and commenters are making him out to be. He should have used better judgment and definitely should know better than to text stuff like that in his role.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #359
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
In today's environment? I'm pretty sure that even thinking about sex abstractly qualifies as "harassment" at this point.
Of course. I'm trying to use the legal definition. When we cover teams there are certain coaches who hate us, and having a good relationship is obviously beneficial for both sides, but it's not necessary to cover a team. And obviously that line is blurred all the time, and I don't want to get accused of victim blaming, but it IS also unprofessional on her part if she's going to bars and coaches houses. I can easily see how an inexperienced reporter could be led down that path, but it would never happen to someone like Jackie MacMullan who understands where the boundaries are, where journalist/source turns into just two mutual acquaintances hanging out, and has the confidence to end any of that shit real quick instead of letting it be a months long issue. Even the male reporters I know usually have some point where they need to separate personal relationships with coaches from the professional relationship.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:46 PM   #360
digamma
Torchbearer

It's a university policy matter, not a legal claim.

Edit: I mean Cal found that he violated their policies.

Last edited by digamma : 03-16-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #361
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
It's a university policy matter, not a legal claim.

Edit: I mean Cal found that he violated their policies.
Of course, and I was using legal definition as shorthand for campus policies etc as well as actual government legality, and I have zero interest in digging in to the legalese of it all right now and looking for Cal's applicable statutes But given what I assume of the campus climate in the People's Republic of Berkeley and the Orwellian-sounding Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination, I'm not even sure he violated anything official, and it does sound like he'll be suing the university. My extremely lazy guess on the limited information I got from one article is that the case will come down to where the line is drawn between him acting as a representative of the university and just being a creepy douchebag with a girl in his phone. The latter is extremely unwelcome on college campuses (and with anyone I interact with in person), but it's not illegal or grounds for a firing regardless of how many people protest or how many people actually are sexually harassed or assaulted in separate incidents on the campus.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 03-16-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #362
Atocep
Coordinator

TCU is making a big push for Jamie Dixon and it appears there's interest on his part. He's already signed through 2023 so I don't think this is just a push for a contract extension.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #363
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
My extremely lazy guess on the limited information I got from one article is that the case will come down to where the line is drawn between him acting as a representative of the university and just being a creepy douchebag with a girl in his phone. The latter is extremely unwelcome on college campuses (and with anyone I interact with in person), but it's not illegal or grounds for a firing regardless of how many people protest or how many people actually are sexually harassed or assaulted in separate incidents on the campus.

Au contraire. It's usually a part of the employee code of conduct on campuses that sexual harassment is a workplace violation punishable up to and including termination. The feds have forced colleges' hands on this.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #364
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Au contraire. It's usually a part of the employee code of conduct on campuses that sexual harassment is a workplace violation punishable up to and including termination. The feds have forced colleges' hands on this.

Exactly Brit. This would fall under Title IX, especially if she has alleged any of this stuff took place on the campus, through a university phone or its network. The amount of resources the government (states govts as well) have put into the sexual misconduct area is staggering.

Last edited by muns : 03-21-2016 at 01:43 PM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #365
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
TCU is making a big push for Jamie Dixon and it appears there's interest on his part. He's already signed through 2023 so I don't think this is just a push for a contract extension.

I'd be shocked by this. He would have to rebuild a program from the ground up, and leaving an established program with facilities and the money he is getting would be tough.

There is no doubt in my mind he is feeling all kinds of pressure because he cant seem to get over the hump in the tourney, so I can see him leaving (4 years ago I wouldn't have), just not for TCU though.

Many would argue that Jamie isn't all that great with X's and O's, but its his recruiting that is sub par. He needs Barry Rohrssen. When Barry left for Manhatten, so did all of Pitts recruiting. He hasn't had a top notch recruiting coach on his staff in years, and is feeling those effects yearly.

Last edited by muns : 03-21-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #366
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Anyone know how much Steve Henson makes @ Oklahoma? UNLV is claiming that Cronin from Cincy is their top choice and I'd like something realistic both price-wise and available.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #367
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
I'd be shocked by this. He would have to rebuild a program from the ground up, and leaving an established program with facilities and the money he is getting would be tough.

There is no doubt in my mind he is feeling all kinds of pressure because he cant seem to get over the hump in the tourney, so I can see him leaving (4 years ago I wouldn't have), just not for TCU though.

Many would argue that Jamie isn't all that great with X's and O's, but its his recruiting that is sub par. He needs Barry Rohrssen. When Barry left for Manhatten, so did all of Pitts recruiting. He hasn't had a top notch recruiting coach on his staff in years, and is feeling those effects yearly.

I agree with the arguments that the move to the ACC really hurt his ability to get the NYC kids that were the foundation of these strong Big East teams.

I wouldn't be surprised given that he might feel he hit a ceiling at Pitt and the chance to rebuild his alma mater.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #368
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Exactly Brit. This would fall under Title IX, especially if she has alleged any of this stuff took place on the campus, through a university phone or its network. The amount of resources the government (states govts as well) have put into the sexual misconduct area is staggering.
A muns sighting! How you doin' bud?
Old 03-21-2016, 02:37 PM   #369
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Anyone know how much Steve Henson makes @ Oklahoma? UNLV is claiming that Cronin from Cincy is their top choice and I'd like something realistic both price-wise and available.
This is from last June which had him receiving a raise up to $200,250:

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/oklaho...fff9e56bd.html
Old 03-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #370
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
This is from last June which had him receiving a raise up to $200,250:

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/oklaho...fff9e56bd.html

Uhoh, dude fits the cheap AD's budget so I'm starting the rumor now while everyone else talks about names from Mike Brown, Jay Wright and Mike Cronin.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:03 PM   #371
Logan
Head Coach

Dixon to TCU is happening. From Rothstein on Twitter.

Last edited by Logan : 03-21-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #372
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

When, thought UALR was going to lose Beard with his cheap buy out since he worked for Penders and Knight at Texas and Tortilla U. (and he's probably still gone).
Old 03-21-2016, 04:02 PM   #373
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm honestly not very surprised. Especially after word started to leak that he wasn't feeling appreciated at Pitt. TCU is his alma-mater and they've recently dumped a ton of money into improving their basketball facilities. It's a new challenge for him and one where he's going to be given as much time as it takes to complete.

It's going to be interesting to see who Pitt gets to replace him. Sean Miller is the obvious top guy, but the rumor has been he's very happy in Arizona and the NBA is what he's looking to jump to. Archie Miller seems unlikely. He's probably waiting for the NC State job to open up.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #374
MrBug708
Head Coach

Why would Miller leave for Pitt? Sure he's an alum but Arizona is a top 10 job in college aND ucla has decided to punt for a while in basketball
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:59 PM   #375
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Miller pretty much owns Tucson and has a top 7 recruiting class (maybe top 3 if they land Josh Johnson). Maybe he has a soft spot for Pitt, but he'd basically be starting over right when he's on the cusp of having the talent for a final four run at Arizona. I'm not sure I'd want to leave Arizona (perennial power) to go fight in the ACC against Duke, UNC, Louisville, Notre Dame and Virginia. But, I guess weirder things have happened...

Last edited by Arles : 03-21-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #376
MrBug708
Head Coach

Miller has been on the cusp of a final four for about 6 years. He'll get it eventually but he's going to need to figure out how to Coach an offense first.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:57 PM   #377
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

I'll throw out Kevin Willard for the Pitt job. Hasn't been that great at Seton Hall and should cash in off his 1 NCAA appearance if someone is dumb enough to pay him for his hot streak to end the year because he hasn't done much besides that.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:00 PM   #378
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I didn't realize women's basketball had gone to a 4 quarter format from halves.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #379
Atocep
Coordinator

Brad Underwood to Oklahoma State.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #380
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
A muns sighting! How you doin' bud?

I'll give ya a pm in a little bit
Old 03-22-2016, 07:27 AM   #381
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I'm honestly not very surprised. Especially after word started to leak that he wasn't feeling appreciated at Pitt. TCU is his alma-mater and they've recently dumped a ton of money into improving their basketball facilities. It's a new challenge for him and one where he's going to be given as much time as it takes to complete.

It's going to be interesting to see who Pitt gets to replace him. Sean Miller is the obvious top guy, but the rumor has been he's very happy in Arizona and the NBA is what he's looking to jump to. Archie Miller seems unlikely. He's probably waiting for the NC State job to open up.

I still am. There is a real good chance he regrets this move, but as long as there are no expectations down there it might work out for him. I just don't see how you are going to compete with Texas and the rest of the big boys down there with no established connections. He already knows recruiting is his weak point. Pitt has amazing facilities and that didn't bring the recruits everybody thought it would. I don't see that happening at TCU either, but its his first home.

Both the AD and President changed over at Pitt and had been pushing him to not play his typical soft OOC schedule. He had free rein before and not so much the past few seasons. He is kinda a victim of his own success. He built Pitt from just about nothing to something decent. Pittsburgh is a pro town and doesn't know what it had in Jamie. 11 out of 13 seasons in the tourney for a crap program before he and Howland got there. We pushed a good one out just like we did in football with Dave Wannstedt. Pitts been regretting that one for years now. Unless we land a top name, which is a possibility with the money Pitt has now, we will more than likely regret pushing Jamie out as well. Although I will say, this was a soft reason to leave. The real reason is he realized he hit his ceiling like you said, and couldn't pull the kids he needed to pull to be good in the ACC.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:32 AM   #382
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Why would Miller leave for Pitt? Sure he's an alum but Arizona is a top 10 job in college aND ucla has decided to punt for a while in basketball

I doubt Miller comes home as well, but if there was ever a time this would be it. His family name in Pittsburgh sports is at legend status, and if he was able to bring Pitt to where Dixon wasn't he would be elevated to icon coaching status in a pro town. His dad has a major ego, if either have fallen to his son's and the money is right, the opportunity to be a God is there. Pitt has basketball money, and the facilities are great. He has no problems recruiting. My only question is his ego up there or not.

I don't see it, but I didn't see Dixon leaving for TCU either.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #383
Logan
Head Coach

I would think Archie is much more likely than Sean.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #384
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Yeah I could see that for Archie Miller. I don't see Sean Miller ever leaving Arizona on his own. Archie is due for his next step.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:20 AM   #385
MrBug708
Head Coach

THere is apparently a lot of ill-will/bad blood with Sean and Pitt right now
Old 03-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #386
Atocep
Coordinator

Will Wade is rumored to the top target right now.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:18 AM   #387
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Is Pitt too big of a job for Keats from UNCW? He can't make that much and was the Hargrove coach before Louisville and UNCW. Think he'd be able to recruit the area.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #388
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Miller has been on the cusp of a final four for about 6 years. He'll get it eventually but he's going to need to figure out how to Coach an offense first.
I have issue with Miller on some of his sets, but I can't think of any Arizona team under him who hasn't lost to a better team (or atleast comparable) team. This year's squad was by far his worst and lost to a better Wichita State team (11 seed nonsense not withstanding). He's made the elite 8 in 3 of his first 5 appearances (and made the sweet 16 one other time). The losses against UCONN, Ohio State and two Wisconsin games were all either better or comparable teams (Arizona was only the higher seed once - in the 1 vs 2 Wisconsin matchup). He'll get to the final four soon, but atleast he's created a track record of success to sell kids on.

Last edited by Arles : 03-22-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #389
muns
Pro Starter

Local reporters are saying Pitt has offered job to Sean Miller and he is in town meeting with Pitt. This is just plain nutty especially as the report notes millers tweet today. Someone has to be lying to this dude right?

Sources: Pitt Offers Head Coach Job To Arizona’s Sean Miller « CBS Pittsburgh

Last edited by muns : 03-22-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #390
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Local reporters are saying Pitt has offered job to Sean Miller and he is in town meeting with Pitt. This is just plain nutty especially as the report notes millers tweet today. Someone has to be lying to this dude right?

Sources: Pitt Offers Head Coach Job To Arizona’s Sean Miller « CBS Pittsburgh

Yes. Miller already posted a response (from the west coast) saying he has no interest.

Then you have this from the reporter who ran with it. Of course he didn't mention the whole "in town" thing. Some great responses to that tweet BTW.

Last edited by Logan : 03-22-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #391
digamma
Torchbearer

Amaker interviewed at Stanford today.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #392
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Amaker interviewed at Stanford today.
If at first a former Duke PG doesn't work out, try again?

In all seriousness, I can see why they'd go after him - he played at an academically prestigious school and he's coached in the Ivy League and been fairly successful.

That said, I'd be cautious given his record at Michigan and Seton Hall and this season's downturn with the Crimson.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #393
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I have issue with Miller on some of his sets, but I can't think of any Arizona team under him who hasn't lost to a better team (or atleast comparable) team. This year's squad was by far his worst and lost to a better Wichita State team (11 seed nonsense not withstanding). He's made the elite 8 in 3 of his first 5 appearances (and made the sweet 16 one other time). The losses against UCONN, Ohio State and two Wisconsin games were all either better or comparable teams (Arizona was only the higher seed once - in the 1 vs 2 Wisconsin matchup). He'll get to the final four soon, but atleast he's created a track record of success to sell kids on.

His defense is good to great, it's what has given him so much success since coming to Arizona. But the offense hasn't been good and it's not because of a lack of talent
2011 - 4th best class in the nation
2012 - 3rd best class in the nation
2013 - 4th best class in the nation
2014 - 5th best class in the nation
2015 - 4th best class in the nation
2016 - 4th best class in the nation and trying to land the top prospect, Josh Jackson.

I do believe getting to the Final Four deserves some luck and the ball bouncing the right direction, but eventually you need to beat enough good teams to get there and Miller hasn't yet proven he can. This next year will be interesting because he's basically going to a bunch of 1 and done's and without any sort of true PG on the roster taller than 5'11, it could blow up in his face.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:18 AM   #394
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

That said, I'd be cautious given his record at Michigan and Seton Hall and this season's downturn with the Crimson.

I'd question the Michigan and Seton Hall years too, but with the injuries and turnover Harvard faced this year, the Crimson actually played pretty good basketball. The interesting thing is he has a top 15 recruiting class coming in, the kind that could take Harvard from interesting Ivy League story to Gonzaga-land. It will be interesting to see if he wants to play that out.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #395
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Yeah I could see that for Archie Miller. I don't see Sean Miller ever leaving Arizona on his own. Archie is due for his next step.

Archie just signed a contract "upgrade" today, tacking on a year to his contact and increasing his salary.

Rumor before was his salary was at $2.5 million, so expect it up close to $3MM now? We'll see what happens, but sounds like he's not interested in Pitt.

Last edited by Butter : 03-23-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:05 PM   #396
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Brian Gregory will not return as Georgia Tech head coach

Quote:
He was 76-86 overall and 27-61 in ACC play.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:37 PM   #397
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Quote:
Aah, I do think there's an interesting tangent about off campus conduct vs employer responsibility, but I forgot about the university issued phone. It will be interesting to see if he does end up suing the university. Either way, sexual assault claims are by far the hardest to determine the truth, and I think it's outrageous how much power is given to university departments that are not nearly as well trained as the actual legal system.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 03-25-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #398
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The refs really ley ND get away with a lot on that first steal and layup.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:41 PM   #399
Izulde
Head Coach

Cronin DeAndre Jordans UNLV. Tells the AD he's taking the job, then goes back to Cincy and announces he's staying there.

Lot of the FB idiots are screaming for Augmon or Theus. And I'm just like no - get someone with actual head coaching experience who isn't tied to the Tark era.

NMSU head coach Marvin Menzies is coming for an interview.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 03-25-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:45 PM   #400
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Heck of a defensive effort there at the end by the Irish.