Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #351
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Vancouver is trying to give Edmonton a run for their money as one of the worst run franchises. How can you turn two top starters into very little...

Yes, this was not great asset management. They turned Schneider and Lugongo into Bo Vorvat, Jakub Markstrom and Shawn Matthias.

Interesting note on Matthias, the Wings traded him to Florida for Bertuzzi, who was traded to Florida by Vancouver as part of the Luongo deal.

Maybe it's not that interesting, but now you know and knowing is half the battle.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #352
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yes, this was not great asset management. They turned Schneider and Lugongo into Bo Vorvat, Jakub Markstrom and Shawn Matthias.

Interesting note on Matthias, the Wings traded him to Florida for Bertuzzi, who was traded to Florida by Vancouver as part of the Luongo deal.

Maybe it's not that interesting, but now you know and knowing is half the battle.

That's Lupul territory...he was traded twice for Pronger I think. Anaheim and Edmonton.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #353
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm afraid in a few years we'll be talking about how amazing it was that WAS essentially traded Forsberg for a fourth line grinder and a third line prospect.

Amazing how that team completely fell apart in the span of three years while retaining all of their star level talent.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #354
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Callahan, '14 2nd and '15 1st to TB for MSL

Guess makes sense on both sides. Rangers weren't bringing Callahan back. MSL wanted out of Tampa, Lightning get 1st in a deep draft next year for their troubles.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #355
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Callahan, '14 2nd and '15 1st to TB for MSL

Guess makes sense on both sides. Rangers weren't bringing Callahan back. MSL wanted out of Tampa, Lightning get 1st in a deep draft next year for their troubles.

I'm happy with the deal. MSL can still score with the best of them and I think he can have some longevity beyond next year. Supposedly he's wanted to play in NY for a while, and if he will take a discount to stay, I think we'd have him.

Hate giving up the 2015 1st. The 14 2nd becomes a 1st if the Rangers make the conference finals, which I hate. Make the SCF the condition, if anything.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #356
bhlloy
Coordinator

The Rangers get a second if Callaghan signs with TBL, which would make the deal a lot more palatable for them. Otherwise, that's a lot for a 38 year old who might be done after next year and was only ever going to be traded to one team
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #357
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The Rangers get a second if Callaghan signs with TBL, which would make the deal a lot more palatable for them. Otherwise, that's a lot for a 38 year old who might be done after next year and was only ever going to be traded to one team

I think it was an interesting how Callahan was supposedly shopped, but all we ever heard for a potential return before this was Chris Stewart and maybe a pick, before he got traded on his own. Maybe there were things kept very quiet, but I think once word got out on his contract demands, there may have been no real market for him. I can't see any contending team willing to go to the years and money that the Rangers were offering, and I thought that was crazy to begin with. So you might need to basically cross his name off the list, or think of him like another 2nd rounder, when evaluating the return.

I think Cally ends up getting a big offer to play in Buffalo and serve as a mentor to their rebuilding project. Otherwise, he's going to need to take a 4x5 type deal from a potential contender.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #358
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

In the same realm...

Last time a Rangers captain was traded, Messier to Sharks in 2003, for a 4th round pick.

That 4th round pick became....Ryan Callahan.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #359
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Not sure what Holland was thinking today by trading Eaves, Jarnkrok, and a conditional 3rd to the Predators for a 33 year old David Legwand.

Unless he knows something about Jarnkrok (who has been compared to Henrik Zetterberg) that the rest of us don't, this deal looks awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #360
Logan
Head Coach

The NHL has reversed the Devils penalty on the Kovalchuk cap circumvention. They'll lose whatever slot they were supposed to be picking this year, and will pick 30th instead.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #361
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Not sure what Holland was thinking today by trading Eaves, Jarnkrok, and a conditional 3rd to the Predators for a 33 year old David Legwand.

Unless he knows something about Jarnkrok (who has been compared to Henrik Zetterberg) that the rest of us don't, this deal looks awful.

Here's what Holland was thinking. Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Weiss and Helm are all injured.

Prior to getting Legwand here were the Wings starting centers for tonight's (and perhaps the next couple of weeks) game:

Andresson
Sheahan
Glending
Emmerton

This would be a decent team down the middle for an AHL squad, not a NHL team fighting for its playoff life.

The injuries to Datsyuk and Helm forced Holland's hand here.

Even with Legwand the playoffs are a long shot now. The Wings gave up too many points early on in the season and are too badly injured now to make a big push. That said, without him it's pretty much done.

I am not too worried about the 3rd round (could become a 2nd round if the Wings make the playoffs) pick. Eaves was a throw in. I imagine that the Wings probably forced Nashville to take Eaves as part of the deal for cap/CBA/financial reasons. Eaves has been waived twice this season and has been claimed by zero teams. I like Eaves. I am sad to see him go, but his time here is done.

The trade will depend on how Jarnkrok pans out. He is a pretty highly regarded prospect. That said, there were rumblings that if he didn't make the Wings next year, he'd bolt to Sweden. He's not likely going to make the Wings next year. Sheahan has already passed him on the organizational depth chart. There were also rumblings that he may go back to Sweden any way. If Jarnkrok does stay in America and pans out a decent NHL center, then the deal is pretty bad. If not... The Wings desperately needed help at center and got a quality NHL center.

Too bad Garth Snow isn't Nashville's GM or that Vanek isn't a center.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #362
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The NHL has reversed the Devils penalty on the Kovalchuk cap circumvention. They'll lose whatever slot they were supposed to be picking this year, and will pick 30th instead.

It seems like the Devils are always getting off the hook for their cap shenanigans.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #363
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

woohoo! wonder what happened?

guess lou wasnt so dumb for keeping pick 29 in the cup final run year.

still wouldve been smarter to pass then, but hurts a LOT less now, with a 20 pick or so slide this year.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #364
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
woohoo! wonder what happened?

guess lou wasnt so dumb for keeping pick 29 in the cup final run year.

still wouldve been smarter to pass then, but hurts a LOT less now, with a 20 pick or so slide this year.

Unless he knew they were going to get the pick back (always a possibility with the NHL), yes he was so dumb for keeping that pick.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #365
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Unless he knew they were going to get the pick back (always a possibility with the NHL), yes he was so dumb for keeping that pick.

I like this line of thinking, since we can move on from the "Bettman promised Crosby to Pittsburgh" conspiracy, and now concentrate on the "Bettman told Lamoriello they'd get the pick back" conspiracy.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #366
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

there must've always been a chance, because if the devils had already given the pick up, there wouldnt have been much left to appeal. so it makes a lot more sense now why they didnt give it up then.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #367
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Crosby went full Ovie in SJ last night

Old 03-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #368
mrtourette
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
Crap, I really did not want Andrew MacDonald. I hope he proves me and the advanced stats community wrong.

Disappointed to see MacDonald leave the Islanders, always seemed to be one of those guys who contributed a lot through smart play despite it not being obviously quantifiable. Although it's probably only Islanders fans who thought that.

The Vanek situation was a massive kick in the nuts, but once he refused a new deal (not that unsurprising) it was always going to be.
mrtourette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #369
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Crosby went full Ovie in SJ last night

That is some awesome non-backchecking!

Quote:
Old 03-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #370
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Here's what Holland was thinking. Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Weiss and Helm are all injured.

Prior to getting Legwand here were the Wings starting centers for tonight's (and perhaps the next couple of weeks) game:

Andresson
Sheahan
Glending
Emmerton

This would be a decent team down the middle for an AHL squad, not a NHL team fighting for its playoff life.

The injuries to Datsyuk and Helm forced Holland's hand here.

Even with Legwand the playoffs are a long shot now. The Wings gave up too many points early on in the season and are too badly injured now to make a big push. That said, without him it's pretty much done.

I am not too worried about the 3rd round (could become a 2nd round if the Wings make the playoffs) pick. Eaves was a throw in. I imagine that the Wings probably forced Nashville to take Eaves as part of the deal for cap/CBA/financial reasons. Eaves has been waived twice this season and has been claimed by zero teams. I like Eaves. I am sad to see him go, but his time here is done.

The trade will depend on how Jarnkrok pans out. He is a pretty highly regarded prospect. That said, there were rumblings that if he didn't make the Wings next year, he'd bolt to Sweden. He's not likely going to make the Wings next year. Sheahan has already passed him on the organizational depth chart. There were also rumblings that he may go back to Sweden any way. If Jarnkrok does stay in America and pans out a decent NHL center, then the deal is pretty bad. If not... The Wings desperately needed help at center and got a quality NHL center.

Too bad Garth Snow isn't Nashville's GM or that Vanek isn't a center.

Yeah I get why he made the move, just don't agree with it. Comes off as a panic move after Helm went down. I like Eaves too but he was just a throw-in, and the draft pick is not a huge deal even if it turns into a 2nd. I am just surprised they moved Jarnkrok considering he was a top-5 prospect within the organization, and even if he did go back to Sweden there is a chance they could convince him to come back after a year or two. After all, the Wings are THE Swedish Connection in the NHL (no offense to Vancouver).

Garth Snow is a riot.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #371
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Yeah I get why he made the move, just don't agree with it. Comes off as a panic move after Helm went down. I like Eaves too but he was just a throw-in, and the draft pick is not a huge deal even if it turns into a 2nd. I am just surprised they moved Jarnkrok considering he was a top-5 prospect within the organization, and even if he did go back to Sweden there is a chance they could convince him to come back after a year or two. After all, the Wings are THE Swedish Connection in the NHL (no offense to Vancouver).

Garth Snow is a riot.

I listened to an interview with Holland yesterday. The organization felt like Jarnkrok projected out to be a 3/4th line center. The Wings have a glut of those types of players now.

The keys to this trade will be: 1) Whether the Wings can make it to the playoffs (unlikely) and 2) How Jarnkrok will develop. If he has a good, solid NHL career then it's a bad deal. If he's a middling player or never makes it, then deal isn't so bad.

The Wings tend to be very protective of their prospects. Very protective. I trust the Wings to have a better sense of their prospects' true potential than any website or other source. They've earned it. This isn't like the Lions or Pistons front offices making these calls.

While it's possible I am forgetting about one, in recent memory the only Wing prospect that they've dealt and who arguably has some NHL potential is Shawn Matthias (see above). Going way back you could say Tomas Fleischman is another, who they moved for Lang back in the day.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #372
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Old 03-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #373
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres are just loaded with high draft picks into the next three years. Add on back-to-back first round picks from the last two years, and a trio of second round picks from last year's draft, this team is really rebuilding.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #374
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Sabres are just loaded with high draft picks into the next three years. Add on back-to-back first round picks from the last two years, and a trio of second round picks from last year's draft, this team is really rebuilding.

Let's hope that the Sabres follow the Blackhawks and Penguins suck real bad, get high draft picks and rebuild plan and not the Oilers' suck real bad, get high draft picks and rebuild plan. So far, the fact that the Sabres actually drafted some defensemen is a good sign.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #375
Travis
Pro Rookie

Hey, the Oilers drafted defensemen too, they just haven't bothered to actually develop any of the guys currently on the team or gotten enough actual NHL caliber D to bridge us until the kids are ready.

But hey, the new coach made sure the press guys couldn't eat donuts anymore. Because he's big on being healthy and cardio and stuff. Hell, he has the guys up to playing hard 15 minutes a night now. Much more entertaining than the 10 minutes of effort we're used to.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #376
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Hey, the Oilers drafted defensemen too, they just haven't bothered to actually develop any of the guys currently on the team or gotten enough actual NHL caliber D to bridge us until the kids are ready.

But hey, the new coach made sure the press guys couldn't eat donuts anymore. Because he's big on being healthy and cardio and stuff. Hell, he has the guys up to playing hard 15 minutes a night now. Much more entertaining than the 10 minutes of effort we're used to.

Doesn't he also bike to work (on the three days that one can actually ride a bike in Edmonton during hockey season)?
Old 03-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #377
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Doesn't he also bike to work (on the three days that one can actually ride a bike in Edmonton during hockey season)?

Hadn't heard that. Makes the hair that much more epic if it holds up after the brisk sprint that must be his bike rides.

Oddly enough, winter biking really seems to be on the rise around here. I work/walk a lot around downtown and have seen at least a few people on bikes pretty much every day of the year no matter the conditions. They're a lot braver (or dumber) than I on quite a few of those days.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #378
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Let's hope that the Sabres follow the Blackhawks and Penguins suck real bad, get high draft picks and rebuild plan and not the Oilers' suck real bad, get high draft picks and rebuild plan. So far, the fact that the Sabres actually drafted some defensemen is a good sign.

Mark Pysyk (2010 first round pick), Rasmus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov (2013 first round picks) seem like they'll be strong-especially now that Darcy Reiger is gone. The question is will Tyler Myers be moved in the off-season.

The Sabres will also have the Islanders' first round pick this year or next. (If the Islanders have a top 10 this year, it will be defer to 2015). If Mikhail Grigorenko can get his work ethic and attitude in check, he could be a very good top 6 forward.

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-07-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #379
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Something strange is going on at the Stars-Blue Jackets game. The game is suspended and the players have gone to the locker rooms.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #380
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Rich Peverley collapsed on the bench and had to be carted off. He has a history of heart conditions, and missed a couple of games last week due to irregular heartbeat.

edit: they are reporting that he is conscious and responding on the way to the hospital, so that is good news

Last edited by cartman : 03-10-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #381
cartman
Death Herald

They've now called off the rest of the game, and will reschedule.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #382
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Was just coming to post about this. Scary shit. Hope Rich ends up being okay. Dude might want to consider hanging up his skates...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:00 AM   #383
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Was just coming to post about this. Scary shit. Hope Rich ends up being okay. Dude might want to consider hanging up his skates...

Glad to hear he is doing well. There was a report that once he regained consciousness, he asked how much time was left in the period and wanted back in to the game.

Hockey players.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #384
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Glad to hear he is doing well. There was a report that once he regained consciousness, he asked how much time was left in the period and wanted back in to the game.

Hockey players.

Lindy Ruff confirmed this, the first thing Peverley asked was "How much time is left in the game?"
Old 03-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #385
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Second Stars player hospitalized, Alex Chiasson, apparently had some kind of an emotional breakdown over the Peverly thing.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #386
MikeVic
Head Coach

Well I was at this Stars/Jets game. Crazy that it was 2-1 for Dallas at one point, and I was thinking the Jets were playing really sloppy at that point.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:28 PM   #387
TroyF
Coordinator

The Avalanche continue to take the "lets get outshot 400-32, but win 3-1" montra to the playoffs. Love Roy coaching them, love the effort the guys are showing and love how the youth is coming along. . . but this team is more smoke and mirror than the KC Chiefs were in football this year. They are going to get smoked by the Blackhawks in the playoffs.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #388
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Even SR has to laugh a little at these...

The Penguins’ #AskNeal Twitter Hashtag Went Horribly Wrong | Crossing Broad

My favorite is:

If you opened a bar how cheap would your shots be? #AskNeal

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 03-26-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #389
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Those tweets are amazing, I love it.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:16 AM   #390
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

My favorite is:

I honestly can't believe any team does these anymore...they have to know they are only getting bombarded with funny "questions".

The best I ever saw, and it made it to print, was #AskTK48, for Tyler Kennedy. He of the wild shot that either missed wide by 10 feet, or right to the goalies logo.

One of the questions submitted was -

"TK, where do you best like to shoot wide from - the wall, the slot, or the bench?"

It was included in the IceTime magazine (Penguins game program), without edit. His answer was something like "I think I'm best coming down the wing"
Old 03-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #391
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

There is a twitter feed called @SinceFlyersLastCup. His tweets everyday consist of just that - a number representing the number of days since the Flyers won the Cup (Today 14,184)

Flyers recently had an #Ask47, for newly acquired Andrew McDonald. @SFLC asked "Do you know how many days it's been since the Flyers last won the Cup?"
Old 03-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #392
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
DOLA

There is a twitter feed called @SinceFlyersLastCup. His tweets everyday consist of just that - a number representing the number of days since the Flyers won the Cup (Today 14,184)

Flyers recently had an #Ask47, for newly acquired Andrew McDonald. @SFLC asked "Do you know how many days it's been since the Flyers last won the Cup?"

This fits in line perfect with a comment I saw to that article...

Pitts Fan: I got 4 numbers for you 1975
Flyers Fan: That's 1 number you dumbass.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #393
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

My favorite is:

This is good stuff... lol

If a tree falls down in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does James Neal still cross check it in the face?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #394
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

My favorite is:

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #395
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

My favorite is:

I loved the elbow macaroni endorsement one

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #396
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Teammate Simon Despres' was pretty...interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Despres747

@jneal_18 are you shy in the showers? #AskNeal

Old 03-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #397
The Jackal
Coordinator

A Bruins fan sent this to me, funny stuff - I also liked the elbow macaroni one. Neal is a pretty talented guy but he's asking for this kind of stuff with the way he plays.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #398
Logan
Head Coach

After Brodeur's 'embarrassing' call out, Sean Avery responds with burn of the year | Puck Daddy - Yahoo Sports
Old 04-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #399
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

April Fools!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SinceLast.JPG (77.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 04-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #400
bhlloy
Coordinator

#1 overall prospect and hopefully the future of team USA goaltending John Gibson makes his NHL debut tonight for the Ducks vs Vancouver in what's a pretty huge game for a Ducks team who pretty much have to win the division to have any chance of another embarrassing first round exit
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote