Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-26-2003, 05:35 AM   #351
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I can vouch for all three of the above. #1 is quite a funny tale.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:49 AM   #352
ACStrider
High School JV

Hehe...yeah GB, I guess I had the question of what lies in the Forest of Midnight answered. I won't go back there until I'm a good four levels above what I am now and with a party of people who are similiar. It was nice being able to use the good arrows that I've been holding onto vs undead. They do bludgening dammage instead of piercing (good against skeletons) and add an extra 2d6 dammage on a hit. I took down 3 undead in that battle. I admit, though, I was lucky to come out without having died at all.

On a side note. As Fritz mentioned, using a camera hak to get a better angle on spotting isn't cheating or breaking the game in any way at all. How quickly you spot someone is completely dependant on your spot and listen checks. They are countered by the enemies move silently and hide checks. I guarantee you, pick a character (non-elf, though) who has no points in spot and listen, and who wears heavy clunky armor, travel alone, and you'll be surprised how often the enemy seems to appear right on top of you. As an elf with a lot of points in move silently and hide, I'm able to sneak around and spot things long before they spot me. That's when I break out the bard song and start letting the arrows fly. =)
Old 05-26-2003, 06:50 AM   #353
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla Blitz
3. Remember how you got somewhere. This comes in very handy when you are naked and looking for your corpse. You'll know what I mean when the time comes.

Yes, that one is pretty wise. Another one might be:

"Don't write down 'northeast' when in fact you died in the 'northern" area."

I've tried to play my INT 10 character fairly, and have decided that rather than make him a dummy (stereotypical) I'm just going to make him lacking in common sense and rather forgetful. I suspect this straddles the line between INT and WIS in the game milieu, but it seems to suit him fairly well.

So, I'm trying to stay in character by getting lost frequently - and that sort of thing.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:08 AM   #354
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla Blitz
3. Remember how you got somewhere. This comes in very handy when you are naked and looking for your corpse. You'll know what I mean when the time comes.

this struck me as the kind of funny where you want to jump up and show somebody. then I remembered this is about a D&D video game...
Old 05-28-2003, 09:46 AM   #355
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
anyone been to Mythos?
Old 05-28-2003, 12:43 PM   #356
Daimyo
College Starter

Don't know how to get there... I'd love to go if I knew how so I could actually play without lag for a while.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 12:46 PM   #357
Thomkal
Head Coach

I just guessing here, since they say the portal is in Elysia. The god Ptah, is the god of travel and there are several portals in that temple. Might be a good place to look. Not that I'm playing Avlis mind you.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:42 PM   #358
Daimyo
College Starter

Come on Dan... I'll give you Dorazio if you reconsider.

Fine print: I will actually give you the right to bid on Dorazio in the 2010 offseason
Old 05-28-2003, 03:57 PM   #359
Thomkal
Head Coach

Heh,

I'm too nearsighted to see that fine print, so I'll just take Dorazio now.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:50 PM   #360
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Anyone else having trouble logging in to Elysia?

Three days in a row it's been down for me.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 12:06 AM   #361
Daimyo
College Starter

The server died... I think they're working on getting it fixed. There are some threads about it at the avlis forum.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:14 AM   #362
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Daimyo
The server died... I think they're working on getting it fixed. There are some threads about it at the avlis forum.

Thanks. Just found the threads. Should have checked there first. Apparently they have a temp server running now.

I think I'll play in Mikona tomorrow, as it's unclear whether the experience gained during play on the temp server will carry over when they reboot the main one.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:41 AM   #363
QuikSand
lolzcat

I got in a pretty good session in the wilderness, near the entrace to Deglos, this morning. However, it seems the server has gone down - maybe all of them are out again. *sigh*

I'm getting very close to leveling... *itching*
Old 06-01-2003, 09:16 AM   #364
Thomkal
Head Coach

In my continuing quest to find some place other than Avlis to play NWN, I found City of Arabel. Had 40+ people on at the time, so figured it couldn't be all bad could it?

Created a character and found myself in the "holding pen" where you read the rules and such before you can enter the game proper. I was there a couple minutes when a female char joined me. She was fine at first, then asked me to join her in a group, to which I said no because I like getting a feel for the world alone before joining a group. She was fine with that...or so I thought.

She started running all around me, and all of a sudden began acting like she was having sex with either me or the NPC guide in the starting area. Lovely. She got bored when I didn't respond and quit the game. Went into the city proper, which looked real nice, found the new players area (Visitor's Center) easily, and got a couple of newbie quests.

As I was talking to the NPC's there a dwarf came up to me and I got the message that my longbow had been stolen. And looking at my inventory, the little money I had remaining. The dwarf quickly departed. At that point I figured I had enough of the City of Arabel.

So I checked the list of Persistant worlds and saw that there were a whole lot of ALFA worlds. It stands for A Land Far Away, and recently came out of Beta. Its a PW that strives to eventually have a server dedicated to each and every part of the Forgotten Realms setting. Quite a goal, but they already have quite a few areas. You have to send in an application though which I've yet to do. According to their website, http://www.alandfaraway.net/ they already have over 1200 players which seems like it can't possibly be true.

They have extensive message boards, a player's guide, and once in the game, you can take a RP 101 class when offered which I think is a neat idea. The drawback is that you have to have at least some knowledge of the Forgotten Realms setting though they do have some links for you to help with that. There is a Hak pack you need have no idea how big it is though.

I also checked out a PW (in the PW Story lits I think) called The Triad. It intrigued me because it had a seperate server for new characters. You start off shipwrecked on a small island, with apparantly just one survivor (plus any players that join while you are there) He tells you that we need food and water to survive and sends you off a mini-quest to get you off the island that's easy to figure out if a bit klunky. You don't gain experience while on the island for killing things, but when you complete the first two parts of the quest you gain a level. Oh and you got hit in the head when you shipwrecked, so you're not sure why you were on the ship in the first place. You're fed a little info when you complete parts of the quest and it looks like you will continue to find out more when you reach the main server.

Not sure I like starting the regular Triad world at 3rd level or not, and I worry its going to be a power/magic heavy world. I had to stop playing when I got off the island to the next part of the quest (or just the transition area not sure yet) because a sign tells me you need a hakpak to continue. The hakpak is called the 18in1 hak pak and a google search will find it easily (the link they give in game didn't work for me and there's no website I'm aware of for the game) It's over 100 MB which is going to take some time to download on my poor dialup connection. There is a small message board devoted to the Triad on the bioware official NWN site.

Dan
Old 06-02-2003, 09:09 AM   #365
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

for those that missed it, the website has moved to www.alvis.org

Don't use www.avlis.com unless you are interested in Raingutter & Downspout Accessories.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:56 AM   #366
Thomkal
Head Coach

Would help if you spelled avlis correctly, you doof.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:06 AM   #367
QuikSand
lolzcat

Has anyone from here traveled over to Mythos yet?

I was in the wildernes yesterday, and came upon a Mythos guy who was downright breathless over the ability to make so much money on Avlis. Reinforces my opinion that merging two worlds-- with two different standards about XP, GP, magic, and so forth-- is likely to cause some short term upheaval for both sides.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:31 PM   #368
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
Has anyone from here traveled over to Mythos yet?

I was in the wildernes yesterday, and came upon a Mythos guy who was downright breathless over the ability to make so much money on Avlis. Reinforces my opinion that merging two worlds-- with two different standards about XP, GP, magic, and so forth-- is likely to cause some short term upheaval for both sides.

Ah, if this guy has tried to earn some exp yet....
Old 06-02-2003, 12:47 PM   #369
QuikSand
lolzcat

Actually, I'm finding the open wilderness (North of Le'Or) to be a pretty palatable blend or challenge and reward on Avlis. I can handle myself fairly well there alone, but I do get into real peril sometimes. The XP awards for the foes are at least above the usual trifle... I think I am getting about 10xp for a lizardman cleric, and about 18xp for a T'Nanshi who comes after me (I don't provoke, but they come after me occasionally). If I spend a fairly productive hour or so doing that, I can make almost as many XP as I would by doing a rat pack, at (or course) no risk to myself.

It's hard not to thirst for XP on Avlis.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:04 PM   #370
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

my problem with the area north of LeOr is that some high level people frequent it. If they are on another part of the screen the mosters that spawn can be too tough for my Conjurer to take on.

----
Hornace, Misty, a rouge, and I did the Darrington temple the other day. A nice adventure, but not the most fun because I was mostly along for a ride. The exp was good (about 1000) and the treasure was decent. At then end of it, Lord Darrington offers a selection of Magic to pick from. I picked a green robe, which turned out to be Wizard Robe that grants +2 to AC and damage resistance vs acid. I will probably not wear it, but the sale price is good. In all the Darrington quest (Slavers/Elemental Tower/Temple) was very enjoyable. I hope they add more things like this.

Fritz has slipped up to lvl 9 and has some empowered fireballs (9d6 x 1.5) to burn his friends and new dire bear with. Just 8,000 more exp for 10 or 18,000 for 11 and 6th level spells....

Last edited by Fritz : 06-02-2003 at 01:05 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 02:53 AM   #371
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
my problem with the area north of LeOr is that some high level people frequent it. If they are on another part of the screen the mosters that spawn can be too tough for my Conjurer to take on.

I find this can happen anywhere. Today, I was outside the gates of Mikona with two other low level characters, when some turbo characters in the same zone (but nowhere near us) triggered a [i]huge[i] wave of bandits, zombie warriors, mages, etc. There were at least two dozen enemies swarming all over the place. The three of us had almost no chance. I ran back to the gates with about eight in tow, and let the guards help rip them apart. Then I hightailed it back to the graveyard, just in time to see our level one player get killed. I tried to get to her with a healing kit but got swarmed by four or five zombie warriors, and had all I could do to stay alive (I'm still only level 4). Then a new wave hit. It was by far the most intense melee I've been in yet. Must have gone on for five or more minutes, and I burned through more than 15 full potions tyring to stay alive. When the smoke cleared, the level one character had gone to a full death corpse, I was down to a handful of potions, and the other character in our party was nearly dead, having burned through all of her potions. We actually fully lost the level one character for good, as she could never get back to her corpse from limbo. Bummer. Picked up about 200xp in the battle though. Wild stuff.

I felt pretty bad about that player dying though, as she had joined our party by a mistaken invite, and we then had offered to help her find some farmer she was looking for. We were running protection for her, and had told her that bandits would be no problem. Oops. Sorry bout that. Back to start you go.

Then the same thing happened in the slums about an hour after that. Some turbo character with all the bubbles and floaty eyes and stuff jogged through the slums at the same time we did, and all of a sudden there were a dozen bandits led by some kick-ass half orc, and turbo player of course is long gone. We got the bandits, then stupidly charged the half-orc. Two hits later we were in Arborea, running the naked mile. Had to lure the half-orc away from the bodies in order to get some guards to kill him before we could finally get to our stuff.

_________

I too have been finding the wilderness a fun place to explore, although I spend a lot of time running when I'm alone. I found a secret hideout cave that came out right under LeOrTNanshi, but couldn't get past a locked door the second time I tried the route. Elven rouges are too much for me to handle out there, and druids kick my ass as well. I run from the Elvish warriors that attack me based on the principle that it would be out of charcter for me to kill them, plus some of the elven players get pretty uptight with a human they see killing elves in their territory. Some of the other stuff isn't a problem any more, but I still need a couple of levels and better weapons to be able to handle the bigger stuff.

Finally advanced a level in alchemy. Took forever, but now I can make some reasonably useful stuff. Anyone tried any of the other sciences yet (herbology, carpentry, blacksmithing, etc.)?

Been finding some good quality roleplaying, and some very poor stuff too. Some of the best sessions have just been sitting around somewhere and talking with people in character. Janos' shop in Elysia is always an interesting place to hang out. Seems like everyone comes through there at some point, and it's definitely gossip central for Elysia. Some of the players there are very good at playing their roles. There also seems to be a steady stream of beginning characters that type in broken leet speak, don't offer much in the way of conversation, don't seem interested in trying to recreate normal interaction within the parameters of the game, and seem to come from the "do whatever you can to get experience as fast as possible" school of thought. They don't seem to last long, though, which is probably a good thing.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:16 AM   #372
ACStrider
High School JV

Well, I'm back guys. I was in Dallas last week, so I wasn't able to play much. Since then I have been in Elysia and the Wilderness working on my alchemy.

I had one annoying day where I died, went to the Arborea, and was unable to leave because there was no exit (a real roach motel). Even a raise dead scroll used on my body didn't work.

Later I was doing alchemy in some nasty lag and the servers completely shut down. Several hours later they started up. Needless to say my nine magic bags (including one which had my bow hidden in it) were nowhere to be found. Fortunately I ran into Vedette who took me to her house (yes, she has her own HOUSE) and gave me some high quality magic bags, a replacement bow, and a +3 item!

Overall my character is really coming along (level 6, almost level 7). She's probably going to join the warrior maidens of Dre'Ana pretty soon (fascilitated by an encounter with Misty Moonbow). I think I'll eventually break my ties with Mikona and when I reach a high level I'll actually fight for T'Nanshi. Hopefully this alchemy will also pay off. I spend a good bit of time in it and with about 700 more experience in it I will be level 3.

Lately I have been exploring the Wilderness with Emilia de'Brogenhold (my roommie's other character) who is an energetic archer in service of Dre'Ana (another reason for me to become a fellow warrior maiden). We fixed the router issues, so we can play simultaneously. He likes Emilia a lot more, so you are actually a lot more likely to run into her then you are to run into Pollio.

Well, this is Arena Helerin signing out. Take care!
Old 06-05-2003, 02:15 PM   #373
QuikSand
lolzcat

I have yet to really explore all the tradeskills. Can someone give me a paragraph explaining how it works, generally?

I presume if you're doing alchemy (seemingly the popular thing) then you run around picking up ingredients, take them to an alchemy table somewhere, and mix them up... and see what happens. Over time, you learn what works and what doesn't. And I guess there's some sort of separate XP system for these skills... so you gain levels at that, also?

Is that basically the whole thing?

Speaking out-of-character for a moment (not that this is new) - I'm not really sold that this is how I want to spend my time on the server. I'm finding cash awfully easy to come by, so buying the stuff I need doesn't seem like a real hassle. I can run in cirles for three hourse trying to get glowmoss and bitterroot and whatever... or I can just go kill somebody and take his money, more traditional D&D fare, actually.

I don't mean to be as disparaging as it sounds... but is there more to this than I'm gathering?
Old 06-05-2003, 02:36 PM   #374
Daimyo
College Starter

Judging from what I've read on the board you can craft much better things than you can buy in stores. AlsoI've seen many comments from DMs that once players get better at crafting collectively, magic items and potions will stop spawning in shops and the sole source of them will be from PC crafters.

EDIT: Well I assume you'll still be able to get the regular +1 stuff from normal enemies, +2 for completing quests, and +3 for DM quests.

Last edited by Daimyo : 06-05-2003 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:55 PM   #375
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by ACStrider
I had one annoying day where I died...

This struck me as funny as hell.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:56 PM   #376
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
I presume if you're doing alchemy (seemingly the popular thing) then you run around picking up ingredients, take them to an alchemy table somewhere, and mix them up... and see what happens. Over time, you learn what works and what doesn't. And I guess there's some sort of separate XP system for these skills... so you gain levels at that, also?

Is that basically the whole thing?

That's pretty much the basics for alchemy, but some of the other systems appear a bit more complicated. One other thing though...

Although there is a seperate leveling system for each of the skills, the experience you gain in a particular field also applies to your overall experience.

For me...

The negatives
When you know how to make something, and you know where to get the ingredients, and getting the ingredients isn't challenging, the process definitely gets monotonous, although a quick run to make a couple dozen medium healing potions only takes me about 20-30 minutes now.

Trying to make stuff in lag is a royal pain in the ass. You get dropped and can lose all the stuff on your table. Also, since stacking ingredients isn't possible, you have to manually move each item from your inventory to the table. This works quickly when there is no lag, but in Elysia (otherwise known as "Lagland"), it can really suck at times.

You end up with a lot of crap in your inventory. I've got samples of almost every kind of flora I've run into.

The positives
There is a "puzzle element" to figuring out the ingredients to make stuff. This makes wandering the wilderness more interesting. You end up paying attention to the flora more, and when you bump into something you've never seen before, you find yourself thinking about how it could be used to make something.

Once you know what the ingredients are, actually getting them can be very challenging. First, you've got to find them, and second, you've got to survive the trip. When I was down at level 2, just trying to get to the damn Fairy Garden was a life-threatening adventure if I went alone. Both of these factors force you to interact with other players more often, and give you, in a sense, a lot of mini-quests (e.g., go find dire animal blood to make such and such an ingredient, etc.).

It's something to do when there is no one else online to go kill stuff with, and when you're too weak to go kill fun stuff on your own.

There is the usual sense of accomplishment when you gain a new level.

Quote:
Originally posted by Daimyo
Judging from what I've read on the board you can craft much better things than you can buy in stores. AlsoI've seen many comments from DMs that once players get better at crafting collectively, magic items and potions will stop spawning in shops and the sole source of them will be from PC crafters.

EDIT: Well I assume you'll still be able to get the regular +1 stuff from normal enemies, +2 for completing quests, and +3 for DM quests.

Ah! Very very interesting.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:08 PM   #377
ACStrider
High School JV

Good post GB. I think I'll add my .02 while we're on the topic of alchemy.

Things I like:
Making better potions then can be found in the shops
There are several items that you can craft that give MAJOR enhancements to your base stats. For example, Fey Wine gave me a +9 to Charisma, Brownsmoke seeds gave me a +7/8 to Constitution, Kao Kao Powder gave me a +10 to Dexterity, and so on. The downside is that these items are addictive (you suffer withdrawl if you don't take them continuously), illegal to consume, and my guess is that the more you use them, the less effect that you get. All in all, an interesting featur, though, and once you get to the higher level potions, they are less potent but also not addictive.

I like that it is a puzzle to figure out combinations for new potions
Any time that you can have an enduring problem that is constantly in the process of being solved, it keeps things interesting. It seems that time put into alchemy could pay off in the long run once you figure out how to make the more difficult potions.

Things I don't like:
Experience
I like that you get dual experience, but I think it ought to be reversed. As a level 2 alchemist I get 16 XP and 8 Alchemy XP for a cure moderate potion. I think it should be the other way around. The character should receive 16 Alchemy XP and 8 XP. I've gained a level now almost entirely from Alchemy. Maybe it's a reward for time spent gathering, but it seems like it's going to take forever for me to get to level 3 in alchemy.

Working tables in lag
Yeah, GB mentioned this above, but it's worthy of two mentions. Working an alchemy table in lag sucks royale. Moving each individual item from the inventory to the table is time consuming and tedious. On top of that if you have stuff in bags, you have to remove it from the bag outside of the table to your inventory before placing it on the table from your inventory. There are two good things to note. 1. You can place magic bags or containers directly onto the apparatus and it will work properly with the items within the container. (I wouldn't recommend doing this with a high percentage magic bag seeing as how rare they are) 2. The new AKN guild hall is about to become under construction. It will be in the Wilderness so you won't have all the lag issue that you face in Elysia. There will be tables there to work with, of course, along with people who sell things.

Well, I reached level 7 last night. Yea! So I look forward to seeing my character get a little more daring. C-ya all around!
Old 06-06-2003, 03:52 AM   #378
ACStrider
High School JV

Dola...
Hehe...I love your post at the Avlis Forum GB! I get a kick out of that. It can be a sort of running gag whenever there's a lull in conversation. "...as long as we're not going to the forest of midnight" Anyway, I'll see ya around.

Good running into you again Hornace! It's been a while!
Old 06-07-2003, 05:59 AM   #379
ACStrider
High School JV

Today I joined the warrior maidens of Dre'Ana along with Emilia. It seems really neat. I get my own place to live, a room where I can keep things, and I get to hang out with the warrior maidens. It looks promising.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:04 AM   #380
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

with all the server problems and such I have lost much of my interest. Anyone else in this boat?
Old 06-11-2003, 03:29 PM   #381
ACStrider
High School JV

Update on the servers...one of the biggest problems (if not THE biggest problem) was the lag and server instability. As of today they upgraded the entire system to a business connection. The lag and server issues are MUCH improved. If you got fed up with the lag, I suggest giving it another try. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:58 PM   #382
QuikSand
lolzcat

I still have the bug to play, but will be away the next couple of days and unlikely to get on. However, perhaps this weekend I'll get back. Glad to hear there's good news with the servers... I got *very* angry after dying due to a server glitch recently, and it left a very sour taste with me.

I'd still enjoy getting together a decent group of FOFCers and trying to make a go together sometime.

Hornace might be too big of a celebrity to hang around with us, though...
Old 06-11-2003, 10:08 PM   #383
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Boy the new servers are very nice now. Sometimes there is occasional lag but its pretty smooth.

I guess Hornace is somewhat of a celebrity, people walk up and say Hi Hornace and I dont even remember them.

In some other news, he is now attacked by some Mchek guards even though I never pledged or joined the TNanshi army. He got the spite the other day and is going through withdrawls from the cure. So now he basically hangs out up north near Deglos and crafts and lumbers down invis to mikona when he needs some silks and ice crystals.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:44 PM   #384
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
with all the server problems and such I have lost much of my interest. Anyone else in this boat?
I haven't played in over two weeks now mostly because of the lag. Hopefully I'll get some time to try it again now that the server's have been upgraded. I've been thinking about starting a new character though, but I'll probably wait until they decide what they're going to do with the prestige classes.

I'm thinking about a half-elf ranger in T'Nashi, with human as the favored enemy, to be prestige classed into assasin.

Last edited by Daimyo : 06-11-2003 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:13 PM   #385
QuikSand
lolzcat

I was just on the wilderness server for a while... got kicked off once, and had a "can't do anything" lag episode that lasted over five minutes. *sigh*
Old 06-13-2003, 10:03 AM   #386
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

I wonder if trying to use NWN to function like an EQ type game might be going a little far.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:12 PM   #387
daedalus
Pro Rookie

But is the problem a result of the limitation of the game or is it because of the server?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 01:29 PM   #388
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

I was talking in general, but as far as Avlis goes, I think there are four things to look at:

1.) Bandwidth
2.) Server Hardware and configuration
3.) Game
4.) Game Mods

1.) They have increased their bandwidth, but they are still limited by their network. T1, OC3 doesn't make a difference if they run through 100 Switch. I don't know if this is an issue or not.

2.) At one point it sounded like they were using workstation class machines for this. So many things could be here.

3.) NWN might not be well coded for 30 players at once. From a game play point of view I certainly thing there are some multi-party issues with the software.

4.) Custom scripts including a live data connection to a database (Access I think) might be a culprit as well.

----
Anyhow, I have no doubts that serving 1 5-8 party the game works as intended. But as you add people and parties I think it may have some problems. These problems are likely compounded by less than optimal hardware and modifications to the software.

I don't mean any of this as a gripe. Just thinking out loud...
Old 06-14-2003, 01:37 AM   #389
daedalus
Pro Rookie

1) What does having a 100 switch do? (I am network ignorant.)

2) Hrm. That's certainly a possibility.

3) That's one possibility. Or just that having to process 30+ players and actions at once just really tax it (going back to point 2).

4) Ick, ick and ick some more. Depending on how it's coded, database access could be seriously messy. What do they use it for?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 05:56 AM   #390
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

It just has to do with network speed. It is not uncommon for people to increase the size of the bandwidth (network speed to you site) but not consider network speed withIN the site.

Quote:
Originally posted by daedalus
1) What does having a 100 switch do? (I am network ignorant.)

In the case of Avlis, they do some nifty things with persistance. These things come at a cost though.

Quote:
Originally posted by daedalus
4) Ick, ick and ick some more. Depending on how it's coded, database access could be seriously messy. What do they use it for?

----------
Last night I was reading the Avlis board and somebody was bitching because he would have to spend skill slots to learn 1 rank of unlock if he wanted to use a key to his private area. "I only get 2 points per level, I shouldn't have to waste them to lock my door!"

People (myself included) quickly lose apprication for cool things.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:23 AM   #391
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, I was on Avlis for a while this morning... was in the middle of a manageable fight with the clerics in blue (from the northern wilderness) when the Avlis lag hits me hard. After being frozen for about 90 seconds, we come back - and I am surrounded by at least six of them, and they quickly make mincemeat of me.

After struggling through my "task" to get back to the PM plane, I am now heading northward to try to retrieve my belongings. I have had intolerable lags three times, have been kicked off twice, and am now signed back in, able to see my character, but cannot do anything but move from place to place. There are mercenaries who are also immobile - but they'll attack me once we get started, and I may not survive. (I came here invisible, but that's gone since I was kicked off by the server)

Lots of f-bombs on my end right about now... I thought this place was supposed to be getting better...
Old 06-15-2003, 08:46 PM   #392
QuikSand
lolzcat

Has anyone else run into Drem Glinklestein, in the Eastern Outskirts of Mikona?

I did by accident... he is apparently a very powerful druid (?). Anyway - I was battling with some bad cats and wolf-types, and he stepped in and let loose some fierce lightning on the whole area - french-fried all the beats, and me as well. Very thunderous.

Anyway, i wound my way back there, and eventually talked to him, and received his "quest."

has anyone else received and done this event? It sounds fairly interesting... anyone have insight?
Old 06-23-2003, 08:50 AM   #393
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, I have finally advanced to level 10 (a big step for a monk, getting an additional attack) - but things seem to have slowed down. Alas.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:08 AM   #394
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hmmm.... it seems that I am unable to patch up to version 1,30 of NWN - probably due to the legion of haks that I have used for camera angles and so forth. I don't know what i'll need to do here, but at the moment I cannot get onto Avlis.

If anyone else gets on in the next day or so - please send a message to Hornace (HFP) - that he needs to come up for air at some point and comfirm his Hattrick match for the Cup this week.

Feh, it's all my fault. He's completely hooked, spending 16 hours a day on Avlis.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:06 PM   #395
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

It's so easy to get hooked.

I was away for the past two weeks and have been wavering as to whether to log on again to Avlis now that I'm back. I can't just play a little bit. Absolutely impossible for me to stop.

I think of all the things I could get done in the real world, and realize that none of them will get done if I fire up that game just once.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:53 PM   #396
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Looks like I need to buy this game when I can afford it

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:14 AM   #397
darkfire
n00b

Hey, just wanted to let anyone that still plays NWN1 that Avlis is still up and running, atleast 1,000 strong.

Got 10 servers going, a very active playerbase and lots of DMs.

www.avlis.org

Hope there are still some of you around

-Darkfire
darkfire is offline   Reply With Quote