Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #351
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

It's weird, I know I shouldn't be surprised about the latest revelations regarding the glass box engine, but I am. I actually did believe them when they said they has stepped forward in their modeling of cities by doing it on a per sim basis (treating each sim as an actual person). I didn't ever think that while the calculation is based on the per sim level, that the logic would treat people like resources and the sims wouldn't have homes and jobs, etc. I thought that was the whole point of glassbox. I guess I dreamed to much...
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #352
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ooooofffff......front page of Foxnews.com. Granted, much of it has already been discussed here, but it's in front of quite a few more eyes on a national news website.

SimCity PR nightmare escalates | Fox News
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #353
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

it's like they had a 'everything that's wrong with modern gaming' checklist and hit every note

hard to believe this is the same company that completely scrapped an nba live
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #354
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
it's like they had a 'everything that's wrong with modern gaming' checklist and hit every note

hard to believe this is the same company that completely scrapped an nba live

Better yet, how bad was NBA Live in order to be scrapped given that they thought that SC5 was a good idea and ready for release?
Old 03-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #355
SportsDino
College Prospect

Their engine is not going to be fixed, they need a mass agent simulator and they do not know how to build one. They thought they could do it with a little doobob resource floating around according to a rule-set... but that will always break and NEVER scale.

The best way to build these systems (in my opinion) is to make the agents have permanence, but perform dynamic plans and adjustments on one cycle with a low frequency, and calculate the effects at real-time with a model.

What they are doing is basically dropping a sim into some sort of network model and on each iteration they are deciding where that sim goes next.

In the alternative you decide the sim's life (I live at A Street, I work at the bakery on B Street, I have a car) and you repeat the actions of that life until an event that resets the sim's life to something else. These life plans can actually be incredibly detailed and rich, as long as they can be rapidly modeled at various resolutions to provide the hard numbers that the simulation then presents to the user. It doesn't really matter that sim Bob actually traverses the traffic network from A Street to B Street every workday, all that matters is if you can calculate the effect of his daily trips from A Street to B Street and when the user is actually looking at A Street in zoomed in view you get a view of Bob's car making his daily drive with some probability.

If you play with some statistics magic you can make a world that looks extremely detailed and is perfect fidelity when the human observes it (models become concrete when you are actually viewing A Street)... but is calculated in macro via statistics to make it calculate nearly instantaneous. It is sort of like a Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, who cares where the hell the sim actually is in space as long as you can measure the cumulative effect of their passing or the position they are at when you are looking at them.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #356
Mota
College Benchwarmer

At this point my suggestion to EA would be to recall the game. Given what's been identified as problems, is the AI fixable by patches? I'm not sure.

Now I have no idea how those first reviews that came out before the game was released all ended up at 90+%. Did they actually play the game? I know that it's now the cool thing to trash the game, but didn't the reviewers click on a bus and see it going around in circles all day while the other side of your town was begging for transportation? And how you couldn't get power to your university and your town was becoming uneducated and losing industry, meanwhile your city actually had a surplus of power?

All these things were quite apparent to me as soon as my city hit around 50,000 people. As I tried to scale up to the next level, the rot started to come out. I love the systems and the advanced level game that comes into play, but the problem is that NONE OF IT WORKS.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #357
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
At this point my suggestion to EA would be to recall the game. Given what's been identified as problems, is the AI fixable by patches? I'm not sure.

Now I have no idea how those first reviews that came out before the game was released all ended up at 90+%. Did they actually play the game? I know that it's now the cool thing to trash the game, but didn't the reviewers click on a bus and see it going around in circles all day while the other side of your town was begging for transportation? And how you couldn't get power to your university and your town was becoming uneducated and losing industry, meanwhile your city actually had a surplus of power?

All these things were quite apparent to me as soon as my city hit around 50,000 people. As I tried to scale up to the next level, the rot started to come out. I love the systems and the advanced level game that comes into play, but the problem is that NONE OF IT WORKS.

Even when EA games largely review poorly, a handful of early reviews tend to be glowing. Someones probably getting a kickback, or at the very least interested in not losing their working relationship with EA.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #358
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Even when EA games largely review poorly, a handful of early reviews tend to be glowing. Someones probably getting a kickback, or at the very least interested in not losing their working relationship with EA.

I'd be interested in looking at some of those reviews to see how long those reviewers said they played the game. They're required to report that information in their review.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #359
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

If there were a fix they'd be able to fix it through patches, and I could see some things patched like cars driving to a house even though it's full. But a lot of the problems are the basic game mechanics themselves. Unless EA decides to do a FFXIV style reboot those things aren't going to get fixed as they'd require a complete remake/overhaul of the game.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #360
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Some of you may be over thinking it as far as the reviewers go. They likely did play the game and gave it a good rating. Playing the game is actually pretty fun, and if they got to play it pre launch at a time of low number of other players it is unlikely they did not hit any of the server issues.

The other issues as far as the engine likely aren't really noticeable until you play a considerable amount and most of them have work arounds in how to deal with it the same way we used to in sim city 4. So my guess is the reviewers really did play it and enjoyed it and have it a good review. I doubt any of them put in the 20-30 hours that you really start noticing some of the flaws.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #361
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

stock's down .30 since the news. this pleases me
Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #362
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Rumor: A New Video Shows Simcity's Debug Mode, Which Allegedly Has Almost Unlimited Offline Play
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #363
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

why do they lie? it's not like automakers who figured out that by computerizing everything and burying components under plastic people would be forced to get the cars serviced at dealerships. all it takes is one guy to get into the guts of this thing and the cat's out of the bag
Old 03-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #364
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Some of you may be over thinking it as far as the reviewers go. They likely did play the game and gave it a good rating. Playing the game is actually pretty fun, and if they got to play it pre launch at a time of low number of other players it is unlikely they did not hit any of the server issues.

The other issues as far as the engine likely aren't really noticeable until you play a considerable amount and most of them have work arounds in how to deal with it the same way we used to in sim city 4. So my guess is the reviewers really did play it and enjoyed it and have it a good review. I doubt any of them put in the 20-30 hours that you really start noticing some of the flaws.

This is it. Occasionally you see someone who has been obviously paid off for a review (EGM's Aliens Colonial Marines review is a perfect example), but more often reviewers don't play games long enough to uncover deep-seated problems. I know when I was paid for GamesDomain to review games, we had the very unusual policy of having to play a game to completion before writing the review. If a game wasn't ever able to be completed, we had to put in "substantial time" (approx. 20 hours) before writing the review. This was highly unusual back then and it's all but unheard of now.

In my estimation, most reviewers play the game for no longer than 2-5 hours before writing their reviews. If you look at the screenshots, they're often of early areas because that's what they're playing. So major issues don't get uncovered because they don't play the game enough. A perfect example is Empire: Total War. It has a 90% Metacritic rating, but it's a piece of shit. For example, countries could NOT mount a seaborne invasion in the original game. So if you played as England, you literally could not be defeated. That's one of many other countless errors, but you didn't see many of them (or realize they were there) until 10-20 hours in at least. Same goes for SimCity. I played it enough to know there were online connection problems and that the traffic simulation seemed to be screwed up, so I didn't buy it. But I didn't realize how deep the problems went until reading the stuff from the last few days. Traffic doesn't just have problems, it's fundamentally broken due to the pathfinding and the way agents work.

So I don't really blame the reveiwers for this (and I'm often a harsh critic of the reviewers). Many of them reviewed the game pre-release when the connection problems weren't prevalent. It would take a Simcity junkie like myself many hours to start to find the breakdowns and that's not something you're looking for when writing the review. Reviewers didn't play it enough to uncover the problems in the engine - and most of them probably wouldn't have the skill to notice them even if they did.

Last edited by Blackadar : 03-14-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #365
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 03-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #366
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

oh dear
Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #367
mckerney
Coordinator

I love the people who show up at the end hoping to join in.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #368
cuervo72
Head Coach

That's even worse than CoH pedestrians were.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #369
Blackadar
Retired

Round and round and round they go
Where they stop, nobody knows!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #370
mckerney
Coordinator

Modders have made progress on the game least, with the ability to continue to play offline and place roads outside a city so far.

Curious to see if EA reacts to this. On one hand their business plan for the game is selling $8 tilesets and special buildings which isn't compatible with allowing free modding. On the other if they're smart they'll realize they can afford more bad publicity around the game.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #371
mckerney
Coordinator

It seems like they might be able to increase city size, but with what we've seen from Glassbox so far that would probably result in an even bigger clusterfuck.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #372
JediKooter
Coordinator

Why does the in game music sound like it's from Star Trek the Motion Picture?

Ah, here it is: 01 Ilia's Theme - YouTube

The music in SimCity sounds almost exactly like the track I linked to, with a different tempo.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 03-14-2013 at 11:11 AM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #373
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Why does the in game music sound like it's from Star Trek the Motion Picture?

Ah, here it is: 01 Ilia's Theme - YouTube

The music in SimCity sounds almost exactly like the track I linked to, with a different tempo.
wow it totally does. EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GAME IS A LIE
Old 03-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #374
mckerney
Coordinator

I wanna be a fireman!

Old 03-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #375
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

What better? Maximum Football thread or SC5 thread?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #376
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

SC5 has a LONG way to go before it reaches Maxmmium levels.

And really, as much as I'm amused by how awful SC5 is shaping up to be, there's a level of sadness I'da never had with MF - I *really* wanted a new Sim City to be good.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #377
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
SC5 has a LONG way to go before it reaches Maxmmium levels.

And really, as much as I'm amused by how awful SC5 is shaping up to be, there's a level of sadness I'da never had with MF - I *really* wanted a new Sim City to be good.

I think this thread is kind of like the Raiders in preseason. It has the potential to reach a high level.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #378
spleen1015
Coordinator

When lbradshaw67 posts in this thread, it will surpass the MF thread.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #379
Blackadar
Retired

Well, let's up the ante then, shall we?

SimCity 5, where you can destroy anybody's public city!!!

Yep, someone figured out how to hack the code and it shows him going into a complete stranger's city and absolutely wrecking it. He doesn't save it the damage, but the potential is obviously there...

Last edited by Blackadar : 03-14-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #380
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Well, let's up the ante then, shall we?

SimCity 5, where you can destroy anybody's public city!!!

Yep, someone figured out how to hack the code and it shows him going into a complete stranger's city and absolutely wrecking it. He doesn't save it the damage, but the potential is obviously there...

Love this part of the description.....

Quote:
I am worried about people that go deeper into the code and start spoofing the owner ID's of cities and start doing this maliciously though. Hopefully there are server side safeties on this...

Yeah, I'm sure all is well.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #381
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Yep. I give it the weekend until news of people wrecking cities arrives.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #382
mckerney
Coordinator

Some buses decided to solve road congestion problems themselves and have taken to the skies.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #383
cuervo72
Head Coach

Magic Schoolbus!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #384
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Clearly going to hogwarts.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #385
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
wow it totally does. EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GAME IS A LIE

We are witnessing the beginning of the Matrix!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #386
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What game do I need to buy if I like the looks of this one in theory. Sim City4?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #387
Thomkal
Head Coach

SimCity tested: offline play, phantom Sims, and other controversies verified or debunked | Editorial, News | PC Gamer
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #388
Mota
College Benchwarmer

My friend was over yesterday and he's a hug SimCity classic fan, so I wanted to show him some of the cool stuff from the game. He then clicked on a bus to follow it, it joined a row of other buses, and proceeded to go around and around in circles for minutes, not delivering it's 20 passengers anywhere and essentially not doing ANYTHING. Fun! His response was that it's a prettier version of the SimCity he played but it didn't actually work. Yes my friend, you are absolutely right.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #389
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

When does Daivd add the beer tents?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #390
Blackadar
Retired

Eurogamer's review is up: SimCity review • Reviews • PC • Eurogamer.net.

I consider Eurogamer to be the best review site on the web because they're extremely consistent and play through the games in detail. Needless to say, they hammer Simcity - 4/10 - and the reviewer points out how the problems mentioned in the game all conspire to make the gameplay a sham. The closing paragraph is particularly damning:

Quote:
There was a time, perhaps eight or nine hours in, when I wondered why SimCity was so easy. Nobody ever complained about the air pollution, while using my depot to sell my recycling netted me endless profits. I kept playing because, back then, I kept having fun, I kept trying new things and I kept convincing myself that I was a good Mayor. Now I know that it was never really down to me - because in the city of Jefferson, as in all the cities in the game, only madness rules.

Last edited by Blackadar : 03-15-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #391
RendeR
Coordinator

Man am I glad I didn't pre-order this pile of smoldering crap on a stick.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #392
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Father wears his Sunday best
Mother's tired she needs a rest
The kids are playing up downstairs
Sister's sighing in her sleep
Brother's got a date to keep
He can't hang around

Our house, in the middle of our street
Our house, in the middle of our ...

Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #393
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'm just as curious about that parking mound off to the left as I am the house in the road.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #394
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I'm just as curious about that parking mound off to the left as I am the house in the road.

Or the tree growing out of the house. Or the one smack-dab in the middle of the sidewalk.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #395
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

or the swimming pool in the middle of nowhere
Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #396
mckerney
Coordinator

Blog Article

Quote:
During development we tested many cities in a variety of scenarios, but there are almost limitless permutations. Now that the game is in your hands we are seeing the emergence of many cities that test our systems in unique ways. It’s great to watch this happen because at its core SimCity is a game about experimentation and exploration. (Of course, it’s not so great when these experiments reveal bugs.)

"For example, some players built crazy cities where they had roads that intersected each other. This is the kind of unique city building that we never expected from our creative player base and naturally it wrecked havoc with our traffic systems."
Old 03-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #397
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Blog Article

"For example, some players built crazy cities where they had roads that intersected each other. This is the kind of unique city building that we never expected from our creative player base and naturally it wrecked havoc with our traffic systems."

A. I'll believe any improvement whatsoever when I see it
B. Reading that article and trying to imagine them surprised over the behavior of the game is hilarious. What, they code the entire thing within 2 months of release?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #398
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'd like to thank the developers during my childhood who only had one shot to get a game right and often did testing 99% better than what we've seen from this game.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #399
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
We wanted players to be invested in the lives of their individual Sims, which is why you can click on one and see a name and small story about what is happening to him or her at that moment.

Quote:
But many aspects of the Sims are not persistent. They don’t own a particular house or have permanent employment. We also don’t track their names, their clothing, gender, or skin color. We did this as in attempt to increase performance so that we could have more Sims in the city. Ultimately we didn’t feel that the cost of adding in that extra layer of micro detail made the macro game play richer.

:facepalm:

This is frustrating to continue to read from multiple people on the SimCity team. Sure, they did say they sims won't go to the same house and job everyday, but they also continuously said how the game would be about a personal experience with the residents of your city, and they did sacrifice the macro game to do this.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-15-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #400
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

So I managed to salvage Casino City.... and changed my focus to Trading! I am now making shitloads of money.

CleBrownsFan, I sent you 500k on your first city as a gift.

As soon as that processes, I'm sending 500k to you as well Alan.