Ask Butler.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #352
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
How's Rotnei doing btw?

He's sitting out the year at Butler. Will be eligible to play next year.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #353
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Penn State beats Boston College. Boston College is terrible to lose to that shit team.

Wake beats Nebraska. Nebraska must be DOUBLY terrible to lose to that even shittier team.
What happened with Dayton last night? I realize the BCS teams they beat weren't great, but to follow those up with 30 point loss at home to Buffalo came out of nowhere.

UMass had one of those vs. College of Charleston last Saturday, but the two excuses are that we ran out of gas with about 10 minutes left in our 4th game in 5 nights, and no 3-pointers were going down (4-28 I think). Although I fear the second one will happen multiple times in A-10 play.

(Re: BC - I might sound like a broken record at this point, but that's got to be the worst ACC team of all time. People can think I'm exaggerating due to my anti-BC feelings, but I'm sure a couple other ACC fans in here will catch some of their teams games vs. them this season and I feel confident they'll agree with me.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #354
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
(Re: BC - I might sound like a broken record at this point, but that's got to be the worst ACC team of all time. People can think I'm exaggerating due to my anti-BC feelings, but I'm sure a couple other ACC fans in here will catch some of their teams games vs. them this season and I feel confident they'll agree with me.)

I'll be watching, but its going to take an unbelievable amount of suck to live up to the mid-80s Wake Forest teams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_Fo...etball#Seasons

Under head coach Bob Staak, 1985-86, 0-14 in ACC Play. Other seasons 2-12, 3-11, 3-11. That's the worst ACC basketball team in my lifetime I think. Looking forward to seeing how BC holds up!

Last edited by Radii : 12-01-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #355
digamma
Torchbearer

BC and Utah may battle it out to be the worst Major Conference teams this season.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #356
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'll be watching, but its going to take an unbelievable amount of suck to live up to the mid-80s Wake Forest teams.

Wake Forest Demon Deacons men's basketball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Under head coach Bob Staak, 1985-86, 0-14 in ACC Play. Other seasons 2-12, 3-11, 3-11. That's the worst ACC basketball team in my lifetime I think. Looking forward to seeing how BC holds up!
Without knowing anything about the quality of their OOC schedule, it looks like those WF teams still went .500 or better OOC. BC is 2-5, with a high point total of 67 (against UNH) and their other win being in OT vs. UC-Riverside. 22 point loss to Holy Cross, 36 point loss at home to UMass, and double-digit losses at home to St. Louis and New Mexico. They did just keep Penn State within 8 though, so maybe they're improving
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #357
Izulde
Head Coach

Ah. Thanks, MJ4H and MBBF. Can't say I'm surprised. When I had him in class, I got the sense he wasn't very happy at the school.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #358
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting transfer news. Rivals is reporting that Jabari Brown has asked the Mizzou coaching staff to accept him as a transfer after SDSU declined. Will be interesting to see if Mizzou decides to take him.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #359
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Dola

For the stat geeks out there, might want to read the SI power rankings each week. They do a great job of providing a huge amount of stats to show why they're performing well (or poorly)..........

Ohio State Buckeyes knock North Carolina Tar Heels out of top spot - Luke Winn - SI.com
Old 12-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #360
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

(Without looking, is it safe to say Mizzou is higher than they are in any other ranking?)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-02-2011 at 11:41 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #361
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

80 & 81 Georgia Tech was pretty bad, first two years in the ACC & the final two season under Dwayne Morrison.

8-18 & 4-23 overall, 1-13 and 0-14 in the ACC

The 11-14 OOC record is kind of misleading too, especially in the last season.

The 4 wins that year were over Flagler, University of the South (by 3), Presbyterian (by 3) and Newberry (by 7). Not a single D1 win all season

That's a special kind of suck right there, almost NJIT bad.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #362
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Washington completely pissed away the game to Nevada tonight. All they really needed to do was guard Burton and they were winning that game. Easier said than done I guess.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #363
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
(Without looking, is it safe to say Mizzou is higher than they are in any other ranking?)

SI

No, they are higher in some other rankings.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #365
digamma
Torchbearer

This is a pretty fun game to watch. Kentucky by 1 with 47.7 left.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #367
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
No, they are higher in some other rankings.

Are you as shocked as I am at their start?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #368
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas - UCLA this afternoon. The Horns look to get their first road win.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #369
Radii
Head Coach

I started UNC/Kentucky late, fun game, congrats to Kentucky. I have to say though that I'm fucking appalled at how the game ended. In the 5 seconds after Henson's shot was blocked and Kentucky came down with it I had time to shout "FOUL. FOUL! FOUL! FOUL????" about 10 times while the UNC players stood around doing nothing.

The other issue I have is that the play was to go inside to Zeller. Kentucky closed down on Zeller all day. He got some points and he played hard on defense, but he lost the ball in the post countless times. I know UNC has a lot of good players but IMO there should never be a time when UNC is down by 1 with 15 seconds to go and the play doesn't begin with a pass to Harrison Barnes. We just have too much of a history of Barnes thriving at the end of games. Just get it to Barnes. *especially* when your post guys are collapsed on and harassed every time they touch the ball for 40 minutes.

Ah well, its December, but damn I wanted that to be a win!!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #370
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Are you as shocked as I am at their start?

Sure, you have to be surprised. We've known this talent is there with Denmon, English, and Ratliffe. I think we assumed that they'd never reach their full potential. But I don't think that we fully realized just how badly Anderson underutilized those three players. These guys are thriving in a different system.

Haith's strength has always been recruiting. His coaching was called into question due to what happened at Miami. We'll see what happens, but it appears that a new staff and new school might have given him the new start he needed.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #371
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Wisconsin gets knocked out at the Kohl Center against in state Rival Marquette. Bad game all around for Wisconsin. Marquette looks pretty tough this year. They shouldn't have a problem repeating what they did last year at least.

At least the football team won tonight.

Last edited by mauchow : 12-03-2011 at 10:56 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #372
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sure, you have to be surprised. We've known this talent is there with Denmon, English, and Ratliffe. I think we assumed that they'd never reach their full potential. But I don't think that we fully realized just how badly Anderson underutilized those three players. These guys are thriving in a different system.

Haith's strength has always been recruiting. His coaching was called into question due to what happened at Miami. We'll see what happens, but it appears that a new staff and new school might have given him the new start he needed.

We can only hope. I'll wait for more quality wins, but I'm happy as can be right now with this team and this coach.

Heck, I'm happy with SLU too.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #373
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
We can only hope. I'll wait for more quality wins, but I'm happy as can be right now with this team and this coach.

Heck, I'm happy with SLU too.

Majerus has been stirring the pot in the STL media of late. He's trying to bait Mizzou into a matchup. We'll see whether Haith decides to do so. I don't think it would hurt recruiting in that area to play SLU. We recruit KC very well. Probably want to hit STL a bit more now that our conference opponents are all to our east.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #374
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Majerus has been stirring the pot in the STL media of late. He's trying to bait Mizzou into a matchup. We'll see whether Haith decides to do so. I don't think it would hurt recruiting in that area to play SLU. We recruit KC very well. Probably want to hit STL a bit more now that our conference opponents are all to our east.

I would love it. I still believe Mizzou would beat them by 15+ but who knows?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #375
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV loses 89-70 to Wichita State for its first defeat of the season. Couldn't play defense and couldn't our offense untracked in the second half.

Not a horrible loss. Last year's NIT champions, returned most of their key players, a very tough court to be the away team in.

Plus, Wichita State needed to win this game to boost their NCAA tournament profile, so they were really hungry for it.

Basically a learning experience for the Runnin' Rebels. Maybe it drops us out the Top 25, maybe not. But it's not going to have the impact on our season that the Shockers losing would have had on theirs.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #376
digamma
Torchbearer

So, a top 25 ranking heading into a Thursday match-up with UConn. #nicewhileitlasted
Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #377
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

UW has a chance for a nice win tonight with some good national exposure. They have the athletes to run with Marquette, we just need to play smart.

Also, I can watch that Jimmy V speech a hundred times and every time I well up.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #378
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Incredible to see Mizzou play by far their worst game of the season and STILL beat 'Nova in the Garden by 10 points. Cardo continues to play extremely well and Marcus Denmon is putting together an All-American season thus far. Phil Pressey had 12 assists as well.

Three 'cupcakes' at home before the Braggin' Rights game on Dec. 22nd. That could be an undefeated matchup between MU and Illinois if Illinois can beat UNLV.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #379
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mizzou looks really nasty
Old 12-06-2011, 11:59 PM   #380
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We should have won tonight. Can't help but feel like we got screwed by the refs. 27-10 disadvantage in free throws is a joke
Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #381
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Incredible to see Mizzou play by far their worst game of the season and STILL beat 'Nova in the Garden by 10 points. Cardo continues to play extremely well and Marcus Denmon is putting together an All-American season thus far. Phil Pressey had 12 assists as well.

Three 'cupcakes' at home before the Braggin' Rights game on Dec. 22nd. That could be an undefeated matchup between MU and Illinois if Illinois can beat UNLV.

I was flipping back and forth between the Mizzou game and the Blues game. This team looks good.. kudos to Mr. Haith.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:16 AM   #382
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
We should have won tonight. Can't help but feel like we got screwed by the refs. 27-10 disadvantage in free throws is a joke
I dunno - Marquette was regularly driving to the hoop while we were much more of a jump-shooting team. Sometimes a free throw disparity is simply reflecting the difference in how teams play, not some screw-job by the refs.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #383
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Welcome to what the other nine teams feel like going to Hec
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #384
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Gabe DeArmond tweets confirmation that Jabari Brown will be at the Navy-Missouri game in Columbia this weekend. Sounds like the staff has mutual interest if he's visiting.

Expect a quick decision so he'd be eligible by the 2nd semester next year.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-07-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #385
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

That didnt help but either did them not finding a way to keep Wilcox in the game late. Its great that they have a lot of scoring options but its not so great when some of the good options ignore the great scoring option late in close games. I felt like in both of their last 2 losses Wilcox needed the ball more late in the games.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #386
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I find it slightly amusing that for all but 8 years between 1960 and 1989, I lived in 3 of the current top 4 teams (SU, UNC and UK).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #387
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Illinois and St. Bonaventure have combined for 13 second half points 11 minutes in.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #388
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What's the good word?

Old 12-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #389
molson
General Manager

Bernie Fine might overshadow Syracuse's best team ever. It's possible. The 2003 championship team had Syracuse's best player ever, but that team didn't have close to depth of this one. I've never seen Boeheim use his bench like this, he's going 10-deep.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #390
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
What happened with Dayton last night? I realize the BCS teams they beat weren't great, but to follow those up with 30 point loss at home to Buffalo came out of nowhere.

UMass had one of those vs. College of Charleston last Saturday, but the two excuses are that we ran out of gas with about 10 minutes left in our 4th game in 5 nights, and no 3-pointers were going down (4-28 I think). Although I fear the second one will happen multiple times in A-10 play.

Sorry I missed this last week. UD played a game too close to the end of the Old Spice tournament they won is what happened. I don't know if they would've beaten anyone. They didn't look interested in the game at all, they looked exhausted and frankly were terrible.

Then they went on the road and absorbed a largely expected loss against a good Murray State team. If Murray State beats Memphis this weekend, they may only lose 1 or 2 games this year.

THEN last night, UD shows up strong again against a good and ranked Alabama team led into town by UD '87 grad Anthony Grant. Dayton was up 17 in the 2nd half, then 'Bama cut it to 4... but the Flyers hit a couple of key 3 pointers and won by 12 or so. Not completely unexpected, as the Flyers almost EXPECT to beat any teams from the BCS at this point. They are something like 15-5 in the last 20 vs. teams from BCS conferences. Flyers were something like 10-19 from 3, and shot over 60% overall for the game. That'll beat nearly anyone.

This team is crazy. Never know what to expect from night to night.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #391
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Illinois and St. Bonaventure have combined for 13 second half points 11 minutes in.

Burn the film, glad to see Illini escape with a win in a "trap" game between Gonzaga and UNLV.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #392
Butter
Coordinator

As an A-10 homer, was sorry to see the Bonnies choke that game away. I mean, you hold a team under 50 points, you should win it.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #393
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Not completely unexpected, as the Flyers almost EXPECT to beat any teams from the BCS at this point. They are something like 15-5 in the last 20 vs. teams from BCS conferences. Flyers were something like 10-19 from 3, and shot over 60% overall for the game. That'll beat nearly anyone.

This team is crazy. Never know what to expect from night to night.

FWIW.....the BCS teams that they're beating are mostly second or third-tier schools. Their bigger problem has been that while they get some wins against name schools, they piss away that momentum by losing to teams they should be beating. That will kill your RPI. They should have beat Miami (OH) and Murray State. Those losses negate what the team does against BCS schools.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #394
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
FWIW.....the BCS teams that they're beating are mostly second or third-tier schools. Their bigger problem has been that while they get some wins against name schools, they piss away that momentum by losing to teams they should be beating. That will kill your RPI. They should have beat Miami (OH) and Murray State. Those losses negate what the team does against BCS schools.

I don't disagree with this. They schedule what BCS teams they can, which are mostly lower-half teams.

Dayton has had an ongoing problem with resume-killing losses. They usually have 1 or 2 quality wins per year out of conference, but then they will turn around and lose games they shouldn't, ESPECIALLY in conference, but this year OOC.

I don't think Murray State will be the killer this year, but Miami (OH) and losing to Buffalo at home by 29 is REALLY not helping. That's why a lot of these teams like us are middle-tier mid-major schools. Dayton won't progress to the next level until they can gain some sort of consistency as a program.

Take Xavier as a good example. They have now reached a level of consistency where BCS teams will play road games there, because they know that Xavier is not going to be a RPI sub-100 loss at the end of the year if they lose. Xavier has a great schedule every year, and more often than not the talent to match it. Teams like Dayton and UMass just aren't there yet... but the blueprint is there.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #395
Butter
Coordinator

Several years ago, UD had a couple of buy-road games at UNC and at Duke. UNC killed us, but we lost to Duke by only about 10. So I am by no means saying that Dayton being 15-5 vs. the BCS is some sort of predictor of success versus actual quality BCS teams. But we also did beat Pitt when they were top-10 4 years ago, and then you have the Alabama game last night. So we are capable at times, especially at home.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #396
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Several years ago, UD had a couple of buy-road games at UNC and at Duke. UNC killed us, but we lost to Duke by only about 10. So I am by no means saying that Dayton being 15-5 vs. the BCS is some sort of predictor of success versus actual quality BCS teams. But we also did beat Pitt when they were top-10 4 years ago, and then you have the Alabama game last night. So we are capable at times, especially at home.

I've always been of the opinion that a lot of big wins aren't that important. Taking care of the ones you shouldn't lose, especially in-conference games, is the best way to ensure consistent success.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #397
Atocep
Coordinator

WVU with a nice road win over K-State 85-80 in double OT. 5 Freshman get more than 20 minutes of playing time. Kevin Jones with 30 and 12.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #398
Kodos
Resident Alien

Big game for Indiana hosting Kentucky on Saturday. Hopefully we have improved enough to give them a game. I think we have a way to go before we can really hang with the top teams though.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #399
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
WVU with a nice road win over K-State 85-80 in double OT. 5 Freshman get more than 20 minutes of playing time. Kevin Jones with 30 and 12.

Nothing says love like a good 'what the f#$@ are you doing' speech on national TV. Martin is a schmuck........

Frank Martin Got A Bit Upset At The End Of Kansas State's 2-OT Loss To West Virginia

The new SI power poll is out. Love the center analysis on Kentucky and North Carolina........

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...?sct=cb_t12_a1
Old 12-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #400
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Reeves Nelson officially kicked off the UCLA squad. The rest of the Pac 12 rejoices.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote