Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #351
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Fuck. I hate the jets. I hate their smart mouth asshole of a coach, I hate their smart mouth asshole of a coaches father and I hate that fucking ass ugly green and white uniform.

Ok I think I'm done

Look at a fan who doesn't give a damn about either team:

You have jack ass Rex Ryan vs. jack ass Rivers. The only way this would work out for us is if the winner of this game gets their asses kicked next week. I think the Colts beat the Jets, so is should work out for most of us who don't care about either team

Manning, Brees, Favre. . Sanchez. Sanchez played well, but it's still funny seeing his name there.

Could both Warner and Favre play their last game in the Superdome?
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #352
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Saints never had a season ticket sellout before Katrina, never even close, since every season has been sold out with season tickets, with a ~50k people waiting line. This in a city in dire economic straits, that shouldn't even be able to support a NFL team right now. Did you see Jay Glazer's report before the game yesterday? After every away game, win or lose, when the Saints get in at night (often late-ish) thousands and thousands of Saints fans line the streets of the suburban NO airport streets just to wave at the passing cars of Saints players and coaches. Just a couple of examples there. In general I am sick of the feel good Saints reports, but that Katrina has made this extraordinary example of team support/connection in a city shouldn't be in dispute.

I am not going to say any fanbase deserves a winning team, but when a city's fan base has that kind of resume of support and connection, I think its fair to say that it would mean more to the city than elsewhere.

(*And as an aside, if Detroit started winning perhaps they would develop the same connection because of rough times there? I can't say.)

Wait...so before Katrina, they never supported the team, but now they're supporting it famously so they're a great fanbase?

I'm not so sure about that. A great fanbase will always have been a great fanbase. The Packers fans...that's a great fanbase. How about the Skins? How long have they sucked or blown it? But they have a waiting list a mile wide.

Now, I'm not saying the support for the Saints since Katrina as you have shown isn't fantastic--it is. But there's a long way to go there, IMO, before we start elevating this into one of the all time best fanbases or most deserving. It seems to this coincides rather nicely with the Saints actually winning, another relatively recent "tradition". So maybe it's more a fair weather thing, too.

And this comes from a guy who is ardently supporting the Saints. I'm a big Brees fan; I think he's fantastic, and I do want to see something good happen for the city of New Orleans.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #353
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
All I have to say is...

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heh. Good to see ya buddy.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #354
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I just want the Jets to make a Super Bowl. 1967 was such a long time ago, goodness.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #355
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Wait...so before Katrina, they never supported the team, but now they're supporting it famously so they're a great fanbase?

I'm not so sure about that. A great fanbase will always have been a great fanbase. The Packers fans...that's a great fanbase. How about the Skins? How long have they sucked or blown it? But they have a waiting list a mile wide.

Now, I'm not saying the support for the Saints since Katrina as you have shown isn't fantastic--it is. But there's a long way to go there, IMO, before we start elevating this into one of the all time best fanbases or most deserving. It seems to this coincides rather nicely with the Saints actually winning, another relatively recent "tradition". So maybe it's more a fair weather thing, too.

And this comes from a guy who is ardently supporting the Saints. I'm a big Brees fan; I think he's fantastic, and I do want to see something good happen for the city of New Orleans.

The Saints fanbase before the storm in terms of overall support (TV ratings, ticket sales compared to wins/economic conditions, ect) was very good, just not epic-great. Some games got blacked out during the bad years.

Saints fans sold out the dome with the huge waiting list after the 2005 Katrina year, following a 3 win season. There was always a big connection between New Orleans and the Saints, Katrina (and not winning games), just pushed it into the extreme levels.

Last edited by Tigercat : 01-17-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #356
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Lets go Payton. I think the Colts will have a serious chip on their shoulders for the rematch. "Dolts" eh? just try and keep up on the scoreboard

I can hope anyway.

Why all the hate man?
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #357
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I just want the Jets to make a Super Bowl. 1967 was such a long time ago, goodness.

Seriously I was -19 then.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #358
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Saints fanbase before the storm in terms of overall support (TV ratings, ticket sales compared to wins/economic conditions, ect) was very good, just not epic-great. Some games got blacked out during the bad years.

Saints fans sold out the dome with the huge waiting list after the 2005 Katrina year, following a 3 win season. There was always a big connection between New Orleans and the Saints, Katrina (and not winning games), just pushed it into the extreme levels.

Didn't you say that before Katrina, they had never even come close to selling out their season tickets? That doesn't even sound very good.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #359
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Seriously I was -19 then.

Now do the math as a Lions fan.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #360
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Didn't you say that before Katrina, they had never even come close to selling out their season tickets? That doesn't even sound very good.

Few cities sell out a years worth of tickets in the form of season tickets. New Orleans has been an economic wasteland since the oil bust of the 80s. Even before Katrina the Saints had the highest local TV viewership in the NFL, even if they ticket sales weren't always great. After Katrina it isn't even close when it comes to TV numbers.

Last edited by Tigercat : 01-17-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #361
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:

I want the Colts to win, I was too drunk to remember the last victory.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #362
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Few cities sell out a years worth of tickets in the form of season tickets. New Orleans has been an economic wasteland since the oil bust of the 80s. Even before Katrina the Saints had the highest local TV viewership in the NFL, even if they ticket sales weren't always great. After Katrina it isn't even close when it comes to TV numbers.

But you were using it as a seeming basis for the difference in support before and after, and the point of your info seemed to be to suggest there wasn't much support for the team before Katrina. Right now, you're backing up so fast on that, you should be beeping like a cross-country hauler.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #363
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
1967 was such a long time ago, goodness.

January 12, 1969
Old 01-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #364
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

The Vikes lined up and kicked our Cowboys ass. They looked like a team that wanted to play in a Super Bowl. Fine job by them, and I had no problem at all with the TD at the end of the game.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #365
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
But you were using it as a seeming basis for the difference in support before and after, and the point of your info seemed to be to suggest there wasn't much support for the team before Katrina. Right now, you're backing up so fast on that, you should be beeping like a cross-country hauler.

There is a difference, I thought I made it clear when I said

Quote:

A few blackouts during poor years for a poor franchise in a poor city does not define a totally uninvested fan base to me, although it may to you. The state of Louisiana before the storm had 2 fortune 500 companies, Wisconsin has 10, Maryland has 8, the small area of DC has 3. (New Orleans itself has 1.) After Katrina the ticket situation changed as more people started putting an insane percentage of their disposable income towards the Saints. Insane TV ratings remained. (As an aside: the other NFL city that ALWAYS does well in TV ratings? Pittsburgh.)

But again to make it clear, I am not saying Saints are awesome fans. I am not saying they are deserving. I am saying the city is right now more invested in this team than any other NFL city. That may not be the case in 5 years, that probably wasn't the case 5 years ago. But it is so since Katrina. Saints are the booze of the city, even in the last couple of years when the team was mediocre overall.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #366
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Insane TV ratings remained. (As an aside: the other NFL city that ALWAYS does well in TV ratings? Pittsburgh.)

I did a quick search for this kind of data, but couldn't find anything. But it's not surprising that smaller markets would have higher TV ratings (though not higher gross viewership). There's gotta be a higher % of local team fans in places like New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Green Bay vs. New York, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Boston, places that have more transplants, immigrants, people who don't know what football is.

Last edited by molson : 01-17-2010 at 07:59 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #367
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBollea View Post
Look at the bright side of all this. We'll all get to see the Jet's fans cry into their hair gel and turn on Ryan & Sanchez when Peyton passes 5 TD's on them. I mean, Phillip Rivers is a good QB but Peyton Manning is one of the five best ever. When the chips are down, I'll back the guy who's made like 23 4th quarter comebacks this season over the guy who was taking Matt Leinart's sloppy seconds a couple of years ago.

I don't use hair gel.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #368
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I did a quick search for this kind of data, but couldn't find anything. But it's not surprising that smaller markets would have higher TV ratings (though not higher gross viewership). There's gotta be a higher % of local team fans in places like New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Green Bay vs. New York, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Boston, places that have more transplants, immigrants, people who don't know what football is.

No doubt that plays a part. But in talking about connections between fans and fanbases, it is hard to measure people who can't watch their teams or go to the games because they are transplanted.

The last numbers I saw were on the Saints site in December, Saints were tops in their local market with Pitt second. Saints Patriots was the highest local market game in the NFL this year at that time.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #369
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There is a difference, I thought I made it clear when I said

A few blackouts during poor years for a poor franchise in a poor city does not define a totally uninvested fan base to me, although it may to you. The state of Louisiana before the storm had 2 fortune 500 companies, Wisconsin has 10, Maryland has 8, the small area of DC has 3. (New Orleans itself has 1.) After Katrina the ticket situation changed as more people started putting an insane percentage of their disposable income towards the Saints. Insane TV ratings remained. (As an aside: the other NFL city that ALWAYS does well in TV ratings? Pittsburgh.)

But again to make it clear, I am not saying Saints are awesome fans. I am not saying they are deserving. I am saying the city is right now more invested in this team than any other NFL city. That may not be the case in 5 years, that probably wasn't the case 5 years ago. But it is so since Katrina. Saints are the booze of the city, even in the last couple of years when the team was mediocre overall.

I think my problem is that you were originally responding to Lathum saying no fanbase "wants" it anymore than any other, and your response included the following:

Quote:
I am not going to say any fanbase deserves a winning team, but when a city's fan base has that kind of resume of support and connection, I think its fair to say that it would mean more to the city than elsewhere.

It is to this sentiment that I pointed out fanbases with far greater resumes--i.e. the Packers, the Skins, etc. The Saints' support, by your own admission, seems to be fairly recent, for all of its now high level of devotion. Your point was to make a case for why it would mean more to New Orleans, and you based it on a resume of support and connection. But it seems to me that other fanbases have a far greater level of support built over a far longer period of time, and you can't tell me the Green Bay area, for instance, has any less of a connection to its team than the Saints do.

You set out your hypothesis (means more to New Orleans) and the supporting reasons (resume of support and connection). I am pointing out other fanbases have a greater resume of support and connection, ergo your hypothesis would seemingly be incorrect.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #370
cougarfreak
College Starter

So, does Norv Turner get fired now?
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #371
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
I think my problem is that you were originally responding to Lathum saying no fanbase "wants" it anymore than any other, and your response included the following:

It is to this sentiment that I pointed out fanbases with far greater resumes--i.e. the Packers, the Skins, etc. The Saints' support, by your own admission, seems to be fairly recent, for all of its now high level of devotion. Your point was to make a case for why it would mean more to New Orleans, and you based it on a resume of support and connection. But it seems to me that other fanbases have a far greater level of support built over a far longer period of time, and you can't tell me the Green Bay area, for instance, has any less of a connection to its team than the Saints do.

You set out your hypothesis (means more to New Orleans) and the supporting reasons (resume of support and connection). I am pointing out other fanbases have a greater resume of support and connection, ergo your hypothesis would seemingly be incorrect.

I think your definition of connection and how to measure it is flawed, at least in my mind. If a higher percentage of local disposable income goes towards the team NOW (NOW = recent years, not necessarily this year) and a higher percentage of the city watches the games NOW, to me that city is more connected to that team NOW. Its as simple as that to me. By talking about long time support/resumes (which I would argue the Saints have had as well, but is not pertinent to my point either way) I fear you are getting into the realm of deserving and not of current want/connection. Damn semantics.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #372
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
So, does Norv Turner get fired now?

Don't mind if Turner stays (he didn't commit the stupid penalties or miss the kicks), but I think it's time to let LT go (if he doesn't retire).

One bummed Charger fan...
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #373
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
Don't mind if Turner stays (he didn't commit the stupid penalties or miss the kicks), but I think it's time to let LT go (if he doesn't retire).

One bummed Charger fan...

You aren't concerned that Norv just doesn't have what it takes to ever get his teams ready for the playoffs?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #374
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
You aren't concerned that Norv just doesn't have what it takes to ever get his teams ready for the playoffs?

I recall Norv Turner and the Bolts beating the Colts in the playoffs...twice. That's more than Shotty ever did.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #375
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think your definition of connection and how to measure it is flawed, at least in my mind. If a higher percentage of local disposable income goes towards the team NOW (NOW = recent years, not necessarily this year) and a higher percentage of the city watches the games NOW, to me that city is more connected to that team NOW. Its as simple as that to me. By talking about long time support/resumes (which I would argue the Saints have had as well, but is not pertinent to my point either way) I fear you are getting into the realm of deserving and not of current want/connection. Damn semantics.

It comes down to how to measure that connection then, or how to determine what establishes meaning to a fanbase. I just don't agree that your case for it meaning more to New Orleans than other cities/fanbases is all that clear cut.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #376
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

This game was really the only time they weren't ready under him for a playoff game. Even still, I really don't blame Norv for this. 2 missed makeable field goals, one fluke INT, numerous drops. Only issue I had was it seemed the O took way too much time to get the plays in, so there were way too many false start penalties/delay of games in the first half that kept the O from getting into a rhythm.

This game was on the players, not the coach - I mean, it wasn't like Norv went for it on 4th and 11 from the 30 in the first quarter (I'm looking at you, Marty...altho Nate would have probably missed the FG in that NE game, anyway).
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #377
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBollea View Post
the guy who was taking Matt Leinart's sloppy seconds a couple of years ago.

I've seen some of the ladies he "hangs out" with. I'll take those sloppy seconds.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #378
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:

I hear ya. But can you really put that squarely on the shoulders of the head coach? I guess you will probably say yes. Me, I've been impressed with Norv's preparation, play calling, and mid-game adjustments since the 2-3 start.

Today I saw the Chargers choke, and I won't deny that they didn't look as fired up as I would have wanted them to look. The Turner-haters are going to have a field day with this one, and I was feeling the same way after last years exit from the playoffs, but not this year. I just can't pin this one on him. After watching him now for a few years here in San Diego I think he's a good fit for the team.

I'm interested to know what exactly you think a head coach can do to get professional football players ready for the playoffs that they aren't already doing for themselves? A pep talk? Let them know the game is important and not make stupid penalties? Tell the kicker not to miss? What's Turner not doing? What is the "magic in the bottle" that Turner doesn't have?

The Jets wanted the game more today, and the Charger players got caught looking ahead. That's what it came down to IMO, not Turner.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #379
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
I hear ya. But can you really put that squarely on the shoulders of the head coach? I guess you will probably say yes. Me, I've been impressed with Norv's preparation, play calling, and mid-game adjustments since the 2-3 start.

Today I saw the Chargers choke, and I won't deny that they didn't look as fired up as I would have wanted them to look. The Turner-haters are going to have a field day with this one, and I was feeling the same way after last years exit from the playoffs, but not this year. I just can't pin this one on him. After watching him now for a few years here in San Diego I think he's a good fit for the team.

I'm interested to know what exactly you think a head coach can do to get professional football players ready for the playoffs that they aren't already doing for themselves? A pep talk? Let them know the game is important and not make stupid penalties? Tell the kicker not to miss? What's Turner not doing? What is the "magic in the bottle" that Turner doesn't have?

The Jets wanted the game more today, and the Charger players got caught looking ahead. That's what it came down to IMO, not Turner.

Could not disagree more. SD played not to lose the game today...pure coaching. They didn't want to make a mistake, make Sanchez beat them, etc. The problem is that's exactly what the Jets wanted them to do. Gates should have gone for 200 yards today with a bunch of 15 yard receptions across the middle like they did in the 1st quarter and then they quit. Either the Jets closed that up and opened something else up that SD didn't take advantage of, or Turner was a moron. The dude's a horrible coach. He has a boatload of talent which will show itself in a 16 game season. Playoffs are about coaching, motivation, and making adjustments, and San Diego failed all 3.

If Indy isn't careful next week, the Jets will do the same thing. Indy needs to go into that game with an FU attitude and just put the petal to the metal from start to finish. Get up on the Jets big and know they can't come back. These teams who are playing not to lose and hoping Sanchez will beat the Jets are being stupid. They play right into their hands.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #380
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I recall Norv Turner and the Bolts beating the Colts in the playoffs...twice. That's more than Shotty ever did.

That may not be saying much, though at least Caldwell seems to have gotten them ready this year.

It just seems like the Chargers do well in the playoffs when no one expects them to, but they can't handle the pressure of being the favorite.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #381
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
January 12, 1969

I always confuse Super Bowl I and Super Bowl III. I don't know why, but I do.

In any case, I wouldn't underestimate the fact that -- Curtis Painter notwithstanding -- the Jets have had the recent experience of going into Indianapolis and beating the Colts.

They again, have nothing to lose. I'm proud of them making it this far, honestly.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #382
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Playoffs are about coaching, motivation, and making adjustments, and San Diego failed all 3.

How does coaching or motivating or making adjustments lead to Gates not dropping the ball multiple times, LT playing well, Weddle making a tackle, or Kaeding making a kick? The Jets played a solid game, and the Chargers had a game plan to beat them, they just didn't execute. Why should the coach be any more accountable than the players when it comes down to execution? These guys get paid too much money to come out that flat, with or without a motivational head coach.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #383
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
It just seems like the Chargers do well in the playoffs when no one expects them to, but they can't handle the pressure of being the favorite.

Yep, nail on the head with that statement!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #384
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
So, I assume everyone outside of Minnesota is rooting for NO next week?

Well, I do live in Minnesota, but I am a Packers fan... and I will be pulling for Minnesota next week. Cheer for Favre / NFC North...
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:30 PM   #385
Daimyo
College Starter

This worked out well for the Colts. I'm sure there are a lot of Colts players who desperately wanted another shot at taking on the Jets at full strength.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #386
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Saints games also get higher local ratings than any other NFL team. Their ratings destroy just about every other hometown market.

This year. Pittsburgh won the local ratings title again last year however.
(Just to emphasize that this is a one off thing with a team that started 13-0, not some major post-Katrina trend or something)
Old 01-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #387
Groundhog
Coordinator

LT wasn't moving his hips towards another 6.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #388
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office Midget View Post
Well, I do live in Minnesota, but I am a Packers fan... and I will be pulling for Minnesota next week. Cheer for Favre / NFC North...

People act as if New Orleans was the only NFL city to experience a tragedy recently.

NEVAR FORGET! Go Vikings!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #389
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Playoffs are about coaching, motivation, and making adjustments, and San Diego failed all 3.

A Brad Childress coached team winning 34-3 in the playoffs shows that winning in the post season can't just be about coaching.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #390
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office Midget View Post

I was just in Manitowoc last weekend, and I'm pretty sure they didn't move that to Minnesota!

Or is the location out of date?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #391
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I was just in Manitowoc last weekend, and I'm pretty sure they didn't move that to Minnesota!

Or is the location out of date?

Kind of out of date. My family lives in Manitowoc; I go to college in Winona, MN.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #392
RainMaker
General Manager

My only hope for the games next week is no Vikings victory. I don't think I can handle 2 weeks of Favre Super Bowl pre-game. New Orleans vs anyone although I think the Colts would make a fun matchup.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #393
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
My only hope for the games next week is no Vikings victory. I don't think I can handle 2 weeks of Favre Super Bowl pre-game. New Orleans vs anyone although I think the Colts would make a fun matchup.

I was hoping for no Vikes victory today for the same reason. I didn't want potentially three weeks of Favre talk on the radio. Blah.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:41 PM   #394
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
They again, have nothing to lose. I'm proud of them making it this far, honestly.

Yeah, clearly this is already a success. But the 1998 AFC Championship game loss still haunts me. Wouldn't mind seeing them make (even if they lose) a Super Bowl now (even though i care about 3% as much as a did a few years ago).
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #395
RendeR
Coordinator

Saints -- Colts

Only way the Super Bowl lead up is even watchable.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:19 PM   #396
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

San Diego choked when they let Brees go and kept Rivers.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:17 AM   #397
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

My wrap up of the weekend that no one cares to read but I will post anyways.

1. Suck it Cowboy bandwagon fans! Got tired of seeing these people wearing their jersey out and about, now they can go into hiding again. My favorite though are the people who are wearing their jersey and are NOT even watching the game while it is on! Did soccer registration this weekend at Academy and was there while the Cowboy game was on. Dumbass people walking in wearing jerseys non-stop while the game just started...then in the second quarter....then the third quarter....then the flood of them who probably were watching the game and then left during the fourth quarter. My favorite though were the couple walking in and buying Cowboys gear in the middle of the game which I wanted to tell them to forget it because they were down 17-3 but it was too funny.

2. Congrats Vikings, looks like you finally brought in the right former Packers to make another run. Longwell, Sharper, now Favre. Some of your key players over the years lately have been from Green Bay. You people are more Green Bay fans then you know.

3. Happy for the Jets. Hey San Diego, looks like getting rid of Marty Ball really was the thing to put you over the top. Bravo!

4. Missed most of the Cards-Saints game. That surprised me. Maybe going out against the Cards the way the Pack did was better then going out like that against the Saints. I hope the Saints win against the Vikes, though that is because I am a Packer fan and don't want to see them go any farther. I am actually glad the Vikes slapped the Cowboys for one more TD.

5. Eh, the Colts, eh. Same old thing there I guess.

Last edited by Cringer : 01-18-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #398
JediKooter
Coordinator

Chargers beat themselves yesterday. The problems with the O-line run blocking shined brightly as well and then the Chargers also morphed into the Raiders with all of the personal foul penalties. Then, the most accurate kicker in the NFL, all of sudden turns into Steve Sax. Great timing Kaeding. Consider this a late christmas present Jets.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #399
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Mark my words, the Football Gods will make sure the Saints win next week simply because of that play.

Haha! For running a play action pass on 4th and 3 with 2 minutes left they are jinxed huh?

Lets explore their options.

A. Go for it

B. Kick a FG, Would this have running it in as well since the odds of making 3 points are 99 percent from this spot in the field while going for it made the success rate around 35-40 percent?

C. Kneel on it

I wish they wouldnt have scored but I dont see options B or C as better options. I cant think of too many teams in the history of the NFL that started kneeling down when the other team was going to get the ball back with 2 minutes left.

In other words the Vikings made the same decision any other team in the NFL would have.

It's not the Vikings fault that the Cowboys gave a token effort late in the game. If anything the football gods will turn on them for quitting.

If the game was over why was Dallas taking timeouts earlier in that same series? If they dont take them timeouts the clock runs out before the Vikings score again so we arent even talking about it.

This pretty much suns up what I think of whole deal.
Video: Vikings throw late TD in blowout, Brooking goes after Favre - Shutdown Corner - NFL Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-18-2010 at 02:06 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #400
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Or worse yet 2 weeks of Favre Old team vs Favre New Team if the Jets/Vikings make it to the Super Bowl. I think my head might explode from it if that happens.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote