Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #351
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Harbaugh to Kansas makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. No way he does that. That site is probably just trying to get traffic for being wrong.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #352
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, that site pretty much takes there information from other boards, emails, etc so they aren't the most reliable. The story itself is reportedly legit though they took it from a KU message board. The person supplying the information is a local radio host who is also a KU fan. One of his sources came to him with the information and said that Harbaugh has been offered, but there is some concern regarding Michigan. That was reported earlier this afternoon and nothing has been said since.

Another note, former Auburn head coach Tommy Tuberville is lobbying for the Kansas job. It sounds as if he's hoping for Kansas to contact him.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1623907.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I have heard questions of this sites credibility so take it FWIW:

Kansas:
FootballCoachScoop has BREAKING NEWS and the FIRST TO REPORT that Stanford Head Coach Jim Harbaugh is negotiating a contract with Athletic
Director Lew Perkins to be the new Head Coach of the Kansas Jayhawks. Our sources tell us that Harabugh will be named the new Head Coach at KU
when the contract details are worked out and finalized this weekend. According to our source he will be paid between $2.5 Million and 2.75 Million.

Last edited by the_meanstrosity : 12-11-2009 at 02:54 PM.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #353
Atocep
Coordinator

The Blue-Gray Sky: December 2009

Scroll about halfway down the page and you'll see an entry "Anatomy of a Rumor". Footballcoachscoop is a site with no sources and simply puts stuff up for traffic.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #354
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

If there ends up being truth to the Harbaugh to Kansas rumors, Stanford may as well just give up playing Division 1-A football. If they're not going to step up and pay good coaches what they're worth, what's the point?

FWIW, I've been told this site has much better credibility when it comes to coaching rumors:

http://www.footballscoop.com
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #355
molson
General Manager

We should start a rumor and see how far it goes.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #356
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Regarding Kelly at Notre Dame - I'd be surprised if he doesn't succeed there. He's done it in three different spots so far in his career (much like Urban Meyer), and Notre Dame has the enormous publicity and the connections of being "the" catholic university in the country with probably the most well-connected alumni base.

I don't think he's going to have any problems in recruiting. Notre Dame recruits nationally, and the school in many ways sells itself. In addition, it sure appears like Kelly has the personality of a great recruiter, and he's obviously passionate about the school.

I'm betting Kelly breaks the trend and has Notre Dame back into legit top-10 territory within a couple years.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #357
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I know a few people who have sent in false rumors to that site via email and had them posted. If you do go with a false rumor I suggest not using "Ghost of" a dead football coach. They have some pretty high standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
We should start a rumor and see how far it goes.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #358
RainMaker
General Manager

I would like to see an NCAA rule put in place that does not allow schools to contact other coaches while the season is in play. I think all this stuff is bad for college football.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #359
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I would like to see an NCAA rule put in place that does not allow schools to contact other coaches while the season is in play. I think all this stuff is bad for college football.

95% of the time they don't (the 5% being when the actual interview takes place). Usually someone associated with someone from a school is talking with someone that handles the coach, which is why many coaches aren't lying when they say they haven't talked to anyone about a job.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #360
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
If there ends up being truth to the Harbaugh to Kansas rumors, Stanford may as well just give up playing Division 1-A football. If they're not going to step up and pay good coaches what they're worth, what's the point?

FWIW, I've been told this site has much better credibility when it comes to coaching rumors:

Football Scoop

FWIW, a local Kansas station is reporting that Harbaugh will sign with Kansas after the Heisman ceremony tomorrow night:

610 Sports - Homepage
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #361
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola to add -

His wife is from Kansas and his daughter is a student at Kansas, and he is supposedly getting a big raise to 2.7 million a year, so it doesn't seem so off the wall. Personally, I was hoping he would stay at Stanford as I think his presence is good for the conference.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #362
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Plus the cost of living in Lawrence is about 1200% lower than Palo Alto
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #363
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

And the recruiting pool will be much higher.

I'm waiting for MBBF's response.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #364
Philliesfan980
Banned

Wow.. Kansas, really? I feel sorry for these small time programs. Nobody wants to build anything anymore.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #365
BYU 14
Coordinator

If Harbaugh goes to Kansas I can't help but smile thinking about Pete Carroll throwing shit around his office because he won't get a chance to avenge the 2 point conversion this year
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #366
SackAttack
Head Coach

Stanford to Kansas would be a lateral move at best, IMO. You'd be leaving a conference where you're gaining some name recognition and building recruiting opportunities after beating USC twice in three years for...what? An up-and-comer that has to play in the same division as Nebraska and compete against Oklahoma and Texas for recruits?

Not saying Harbaugh couldn't do well there, but I think if he has higher ambitions in college coaching, Stanford is a better place for him.

If it's more about family and locale, then that's a different matter.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #367
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kansas gives Harbaugh easier recruiting opportunities and his wife from Kansas.

And the money
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #368
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Very true. I fell in love with North California, SF particularly, and considered relocating there until I realized how high the cost of living was there.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #369
RainMaker
General Manager

Aren't the requirements for entry much tougher for Stanford? And what about facilities and budget? Similar to the discussions on Notre Dame, I wonder if Stanford makes it tougher to grab great recruits. Perhaps he sees a ceiling there while coaching Kansas in that division could put him in the Big 12 Championship game on an annual basis.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #370
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Aren't the requirements for entry much tougher for Stanford? And what about facilities and budget? Similar to the discussions on Notre Dame, I wonder if Stanford makes it tougher to grab great recruits. Perhaps he sees a ceiling there while coaching Kansas in that division could put him in the Big 12 Championship game on an annual basis.

Yes, Stanford is probably the hardest BCS school to get athletes into. Budget for staff is lower historically as well.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #371
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Yes, Stanford is probably the hardest BCS school to get athletes into. Budget for staff is lower historically as well.
Yes, it's tough to get kids admitted to Stanford due to their academic requirements. That said, they also score at a far higher rate on the kids they target - their academic rep is a big selling point for the kids they target, and as Harbaugh has shown (and Walsh and others before him) you can bring in good recruiting classes at Stanford.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #372
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Recruiting to Stanford is very different than most schools. Because of their academic requirements, they have a much more limited pool of people to recruit. On the other hand, they score at a far higher rate of the kids they target because of their academic repuation. Any high level recruit that is also a high academic achiever and values their education is going to be highly receptive to a Stanford offer.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #373
Galaxy
Coordinator

How many top-level talent, required to compete in the BCS conference, players would get into Stanford?

I'm guessing Stanford is even tougher than Notre Dame?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #374
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Glad I'm not the only baffled about Harbaugh to Kansas. Maybe his wife does want to be closer to home. But I still see this ending one of two ways:

(1) He won't win at Kansas because he doesn't have recruiting in roads in Texas, and at this point you can't win in the Big 12 without recruiting Texas very well; or

(2) He's an awesome coach and this is a mere pit top on his way to making twice the money at Michigan or in the NFL.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #375
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
How many top-level talent, required to compete in the BCS conference, players would get into Stanford?

I'm guessing Stanford is even tougher than Notre Dame?
Stanford has actually produced quite a bit of NFL talent over the years, and Harbaugh has brought in good classes the last two years. The cross section of highly talented recruits that have the academic chops to get admitted to Stanford is quite small, but they score at a remarkably high rate within that cross-section, especially when they have a good coach in place like Harbaugh.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #376
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Have you seen his recruiting at Stanford? He has a tendency to recruit all over the country and seems to do it well so I don't think he'll have any problems with Texas.

If he does come to Kansas and it's a pit stop as you suggest then he'll have elevated the program for the next hire. What does Kansas lose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Glad I'm not the only baffled about Harbaugh to Kansas. Maybe his wife does want to be closer to home. But I still see this ending one of two ways:

(1) He won't win at Kansas because he doesn't have recruiting in roads in Texas, and at this point you can't win in the Big 12 without recruiting Texas very well; or

(2) He's an awesome coach and this is a mere pit top on his way to making twice the money at Michigan or in the NFL.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #377
RainMaker
General Manager

The Kelly move does take the intrigue out of the most intriguing BCS game. Not really interested in any of them anymore. Was really looking forward to Cincy-Florida.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:57 PM   #378
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sure lookin' pretty likely Harbaugh is heading to Kansas. Seeing it in a lot of different places.

Pretty shocked but it makes some sense as I think about it. It's a lot of money and probably easier to win the Big 12 then the Pac 10 because the Big 12 North is not incredibly strong, though Nebraska and Missouri are on the rise, but you win that and then play a good title game and you're in the BCS.

Still, I wouldn't get off the Andrew Luck train till it reached the NFL.

The intrigue now is if Michigan struggles and RR goes, does Harbaugh take his third job in three years? I am sure there will be a huge buyout but he'll be the #1 target.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #379
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Mark Stoops will be Florida State's next DC.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:18 AM   #380
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
The intrigue now is if Michigan struggles and RR goes, does Harbaugh take his third job in three years? I am sure there will be a huge buyout but he'll be the #1 target.
See I think Kansas has a better shot at winning than Stanford. But I also don't think Kansas is that great of a job. I'm surprised he didn't stay and see if one of the higher profile jobs like you listed above opened up. I think RR has one more year to get back on track and I think it'll be the last year of Zook at Illinois.

There is nothing wrong with Kansas and I think he could turn them into a powerhouse. But it's still a basketball school and would not gain the same recognition he'd gain from winning at a Illinois or Michigan.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:49 AM   #381
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Still, I wouldn't get off the Andrew Luck train till it reached the NFL.

QFT - this guy is going to be an absolute monster and the future #1 pick in the NFL IMO. He really had a chance to build a good team around him with the last couple of classes and the buzz generated this year and a great college QB can take you a hell of a long way.

I just can't see Kansas as a step up even with the academic standards and other disadvantages in place at Stanford, and as Dawgfan suggested you can even treat it as something of a positive, you will get a few smart, highly ranked kids every year who would otherwise probably not ever consider a school of your size. Just shaking my head if this move turns out to be the case.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:53 AM   #382
Hammer755
High School Varsity

I'm shocked that Kansas hasn't given more consideration to Turner Gil. He's very popular in that part of the country, particularly among the age range of parents who would be sending their kids to play for him.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:56 AM   #383
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah, but the quality of life is about 1200% less as well. I shudder to think of leaving the Bay Area.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 12-12-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:20 AM   #384
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I wonder how long Notre Dame gets to be considered a "storied" football program.
If the last 15 years of mediocrity hasn't done it, it's not happening anytime soon. I'm trying to think of the last "prestigious" football school to completely lose that cachet. Not just a lull like USC, Oklahoma, Alabama and Michigan recently, but completely gone. Army and Navy maybe, although their success was mostly a product of other situations and Army-Navy is still considered a big game by people out there somewhere. Ole Miss with their racism? Pitt for whatever reason? U Chicago maybe? And none of those programs come close to ND's storied history.
Quote:
I have heard questions of this sites credibility so take it FWIW:

Kansas:
FootballCoachScoop has BREAKING NEWS and the FIRST TO REPORT that Stanford Head Coach Jim Harbaugh is negotiating a contract with Athletic
Director Lew Perkins to be the new Head Coach of the Kansas Jayhawks. Our sources tell us that Harabugh will be named the new Head Coach at KU
when the contract details are worked out and finalized this weekend. According to our source he will be paid between $2.5 Million and 2.75 Million.
There aren't really questions about the sites credibility - it's absolute shit that posts anything sent with no verification. Anything it gets right is only by dumb luck throwing shit at a wall. The Blue-Gray Sky: December 2009 (oh atocep beat me to it)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:22 AM   #385
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755 View Post
I'm shocked that Kansas hasn't given more consideration to Turner Gil. He's very popular in that part of the country, particularly among the age range of parents who would be sending their kids to play for him.
They clearly haven't because he's a black guy with a white wife. Oh wait no, that was why other teams didn't hire him.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:36 AM   #386
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Turner Gill still has a lot of question marks given the off and on success he's had at Buffalo. Could he be a great hire for Kansas or even Nebraska before they hired Pellini? Certainly. But he's going against some proven BCS coaches in the Kansas search. I'd rather Kansas hire Harbaugh, Holtz, or Tuberville before Gill. I'd be more than happy with Gill, but those other three have proven track records while Gill is still a bit of an x-factor especially for those of us who have only seen his Buffalo squad play on a limited basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755 View Post
Old 12-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #387
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Latest rumors are that Harbaugh is staying at Stanford after they upped their initial offer to over $2 million. If true it's a smart move by Stanford as they keep their coach and recruiting class in place and save money in the long run by not having to go through a coaching search hoping for the right hire.

Quote:
Sure lookin' pretty likely Harbaugh is heading to Kansas. Seeing it in a lot of different places.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #388
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The intrigue now is if Michigan struggles and RR goes, does Harbaugh take his third job in three years?

I still think he's going to be around past next year. Even a subpar 7 wins means he's gone from 3 to 7 and he can point to gaining momentum. If he wins 9 and then 11 after that, Michigan can point to sticking with their guy and him turning things around. Now, if the momentum isn't what it needs to be, then by all means he'll be gone sooner than later.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #389
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I still think he's going to be around past next year. Even a subpar 7 wins means he's gone from 3 to 7 and he can point to gaining momentum. If he wins 9 and then 11 after that, Michigan can point to sticking with their guy and him turning things around. Now, if the momentum isn't what it needs to be, then by all means he'll be gone sooner than later.

I think it depends on the AD. I agree though if they win 7 or so he probably stays which he probably should. 9 wins would give him some protection. 7 would just keep him on that edge of the cliff still.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #390
Swaggs
Coordinator

I suspect Michigan will be pretty good by the end of next season. A full off season will do wonders for Forcier and Robinson (I still think those two will be ahead of Gardner by virtue of experience and familiarity) and they will be a lot better, decision making-wise, which will turn some of those close losses into wins. The defense probably won't be quite up to par yet, but I think they'll beat most of the teams they are supposed to beat next year (unlike this past two years).

Here is their schedule next season:

Quote:
9-4 Connecticut
9-11 @ Notre Dame
9-18 Massachusetts
9-25 Bowling Green
10-2 @ Indiana
10-9 Michigan State
10-16 Iowa
10-30 @ Penn State
11-6 Illinois
11-13 @ Purdue
11-20 Wisconsin
11-27 @ Ohio State

I'd say that there are five pretty likely wins there (UMass, Bowling Green, @ Indiana, Illinois, and @Purdue), plus five more that are toss-ups due to being similar in talent and/or being played at home. Ohio State and Penn State, both on the road, will be pretty tough.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #391
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I suspect Michigan will be pretty good by the end of next season. A full off season will do wonders for Forcier and Robinson (I still think those two will be ahead of Gardner by virtue of experience and familiarity) and they will be a lot better, decision making-wise, which will turn some of those close losses into wins. The defense probably won't be quite up to par yet, but I think they'll beat most of the teams they are supposed to beat next year (unlike this past two years).

Here is their schedule next season:

I'd say that there are five pretty likely wins there (UMass, Bowling Green, @ Indiana, Illinois, and @Purdue), plus five more that are toss-ups due to being similar in talent and/or being played at home. Ohio State and Penn State, both on the road, will be pretty tough.

I'd tend to agree with that. Last year we didn't have enough DB's to play Nickel one time all season. So while we lose Graham and Warren, our depth will at least be better across the board. Usually our D started out strong and was worn down as the game went on because no one could come out. We should be a little better there.

The QB's are huge. I agree it'll be Forcier and Denard with Gardner preferably RS'ing. Had DG been an early enrollee I think he had a legit shot to play next year but I doubt it now.

Our QB's last year combined for I believe 10 more TO's then Threet and Sheridan the year before. That's just insane.

Our WR's will be good, our RB's are a question mark but the talent is there.

The OL will be better with Molk back and Omameh in the lineup all year.

The biggest thing will be being able to be consistent on O all game and scoring in the Red Zone which killed us the last half of last year.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #392
DeToxRox
Head Coach

CFT is reporting Bielama is the new leader for Kansas with Harbaugh staying at Stanford.

I feel for you KU if that's true. That guy is a damn joke.

He will be embarrassed in the Big 12.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #393
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I can't imagine Bielema is the leader with Skip Holtz and Turner Gill still on the wire plus Tuberville openly campaigning. With Harbaugh out, I'm for Tuberville, then Holtz, and then Gill. Bielema is a solid coach, but he is in no way an upgrade to Mangino aside from not being a bastidge to people. Of course that's a pretty big upgrade in and of itself, lol.

Quote:
CFT is reporting Bielama is the new leader for Kansas with Harbaugh staying at Stanford.

I feel for you KU if that's true. That guy is a damn joke.

He will be embarrassed in the Big 12.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #394
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'm not sure where KU goes next. The only other known interview was with Turner Gill, then they offer the job to Harbaugh which clearly tells Gill he was at least their second choice.

I doubt Bielama is the next guy either. His name hasn't even rated any buzz here locally yet. I think it's interesting that Tubberville is throwing his hat into the ring but the KU people don't seem to be excited. Everyone here still seems to think Gill, Edsall, Butch Jones and Holtz are the top names. Sumlin still gets named but I thought he was staying at Houston?
Old 12-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #395
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The Blue-Gray Sky: December 2009

Scroll about halfway down the page and you'll see an entry "Anatomy of a Rumor". Footballcoachscoop is a site with no sources and simply puts stuff up for traffic.
It's a funny story but clearly false. These bloggers claim FCS ran the rumor verbatim" when in fact the stories were completely different. They tried to start a rumor that Notre Dame was interested in Bielema when the story said it was the other way around, Bielema was interested in Notre Dame.

There is absolutely no reason to dismiss FCS and yet trust stories anyone else. FCS is merely a clearinghouse for every single rumor out there. It's no different than listening to the radio an hearing conjecture except this site gives you the rumors for everyone.

FCS was reporting the same thing in the local media here -- that Harbaugh had an offer, told KU he was planning to accept and would be rolled out on Sunday or Monday, then on Saturday turned them down after Stanford up their offer. That was being reported here Friday -- that Harbaugh had a final offer from KU and Stanford was going to bump him to $2 million to keep him. FCS didn't report anything that local media here wasn't saying.

I'm not arguing their crediblity -- clearly they are often wrong. But the source of those errors would appear to be the sames sources that we all heard and read in our local markets.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #396
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Sumlin has an extension on the table from Houston, but has not signed it. At least that's the last rumor I had heard.

I can tell you that a good chunk of Kansas fans I've talked to would love to have Tuberville. The problem is that he most certainly hasn't been contacted by Kansas which is why there's not a lot of buzz on him. If Kansas hasn't contacted him yet then the reality is he's probably not a candidate so that's pretty much the buzzkill for Tuberville.

I'm guessing with Harbaugh off the table that it's now between Holtz and Gill. My preference is Holtz since he's a bit more proven, but I'd be ok with Gill though I think he's a gamble like any young unproven coach. I'd love to see Fedora get a more serious look, but I'm guessing he too hasn't been interviewed.

Quote:
I'm not sure where KU goes next. The only other known interview was with Turner Gill, then they offer the job to Harbaugh which clearly tells Gill he was at least their second choice.

I doubt Bielama is the next guy either. His name hasn't even rated any buzz here locally yet. I think it's interesting that Tubberville is throwing his hat into the ring but the KU people don't seem to be excited. Everyone here still seems to think Gill, Edsall, Butch Jones and Holtz are the top names. Sumlin still gets named but I thought he was staying at Houston?
Old 12-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #397
Swaggs
Coordinator

Not really related to coach openings, but Barry Alvarez indicated that he would like to see the Big 10 add a team because the conference is largely forgotten during championship week.

I know the usual names that are tossed out are Missouri, Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse, Nebraska, and Notre Dame, but I wonder if there would be any thought to the Big 10 swinging for the fences and offering Texas a spot.

The TV money in the Big 10 is about twice as much per team as in the Big 12 (although, I know it is weighted by appearance in the Big 12, so I'm not sure how close Texas gets to the Big 10 teams) and the bowl ties are better in the Big 10, so there is a definite financial advantage for Texas. And, it isn't like the Big 12 has been around forever and Texas could keep playing Oklahoma and A&M.

The Big 10 would gain by being able to put the Big 10 network on every cable carrier in the state of Texas, adds another nationally marquee team to the conference, and improves the national perception of the B10 (this move would make the Big 10 a lot more competitive with the SEC and would clearly hobble the Big 12 dramatically). It would probably requrire Ohio State and Michigan to have to swallow their pride a bit -- I'm not sure they would go for it, but if Notre Dame passes, isn't Texas a much bigger home run than Nebraska or Missouri?

Would Texas say yes? Would the Big 10?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #398
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I can vouch for FCS's incompetence. I know a couple of Kansas fans who emailed them rumors which were then posted on their website without any factual evidence supporting those rumors aside from the email. No follow-up email to verify the rumor. They simply posted it on their website.

Quote:
I'm not arguing their crediblity -- clearly they are often wrong. But the source of those errors would appear to be the sames sources that we all heard and read in our local markets.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #399
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Not really related to coach openings, but Barry Alvarez indicated that he would like to see the Big 10 add a team because the conference is largely forgotten during championship week.

I know the usual names that are tossed out are Missouri, Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse, Nebraska, and Notre Dame, but I wonder if there would be any thought to the Big 10 swinging for the fences and offering Texas a spot.

The TV money in the Big 10 is about twice as much per team as in the Big 12 (although, I know it is weighted by appearance in the Big 12, so I'm not sure how close Texas gets to the Big 10 teams) and the bowl ties are better in the Big 10, so there is a definite financial advantage for Texas. And, it isn't like the Big 12 has been around forever and Texas could keep playing Oklahoma and A&M.

The Big 10 would gain by being able to put the Big 10 network on every cable carrier in the state of Texas, adds another nationally marquee team to the conference, and improves the national perception of the B10 (this move would make the Big 10 a lot more competitive with the SEC and would clearly hobble the Big 12 dramatically). It would probably requrire Ohio State and Michigan to have to swallow their pride a bit -- I'm not sure they would go for it, but if Notre Dame passes, isn't Texas a much bigger home run than Nebraska or Missouri?

I would absolutely love it and I think Texas would consider it but I just don't know if it would work. They fit that criteria though that the Big 10 wants.

Another team I'd love to see that fits most criteria as far as academic's and such is Navy.

I dunno the chances of that though.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #400
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I highly doubt Texas would leave their two biggest rivals (Texas A&M and Oklahoma). It's not as if Texas is hurting for money so I don't know that any financial advantages would make it worth it to the Longhorns.

Quote: