Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #351
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I just rolled a double five with a human catcher on a relatively rookie team.

So Guard? +MA? I'm torn.

To do my research I went to the first place I usually do just things...talkbloodbowl.com. It has been down now since Friday evening. I'm wondering if the new traffic from the Cyanide game is causing some bandwidth issues for that forum.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 07-12-2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: c/?/./
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #352
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
So you are playing in a four team division, and you have to work your way up through nine levels to win the championship?

I think I like that format. I shall name it the Render Ruleset.

I'd love to take creadit for it but others have done the same before me =)

You can have as many as 56 teams in the championship, but I wanted to start modestly =)
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #353
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I just rolled a double five with a human catcher on a relatively rookie team.

So Guard? +MA? I'm torn.

To do my research I went to the first place I usually do just things...talkbloodbowl.com. It has been down now since Friday evening. I'm wondering if the new traffic from the Cyanide game is causing some bandwidth issues for that forum.

With a catcher I'd always take the +MA.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #354
Groundhog
Coordinator

Dissapointed that my two favourite races - Chaos Dwarves & Dark Elves - aren't included.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #355
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
With a catcher I'd always take the +MA.

That is where I'm at. It does make the most sense. The thought of being able to have a very mobile guard early in a league is tempting.

I think the long term thing to do is the MA. That is if you consider the life expectancy of a +MA catcher to be "long term"
Old 07-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #356
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dissapointed that my two favourite races - Chaos Dwarves & Dark Elves - aren't included.

The fact that they held the Dark Elves out, screams "There's going to be an expansion!". I just hope the Chaos Dwarves make the cut.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #357
RendeR
Coordinator

Even if they don't put out an expansion pack, its a guarentee that the people making Mods for the game will make several new races to play as time goes on, someone already added a "Norse" human team.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #358
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Oh, balls. GoGamer is out of stock. Grrrr.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #359
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
The fact that they held the Dark Elves out, screams "There's going to be an expansion!". I just hope the Chaos Dwarves make the cut.

Dark Elf and Undead files are already in the game for the most part and Cyanide said they'd be patching them in sometime after release.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #360
aran
High School Varsity

When all the races are in the game, I think the singleplayer will have enough variety to last a long time regardless of the numerous flaws. I've only played orcs, humans, and chaos so far and I've had a lot of fun.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:16 PM   #361
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
That is where I'm at. It does make the most sense. The thought of being able to have a very mobile guard early in a league is tempting.

I think the long term thing to do is the MA. That is if you consider the life expectancy of a +MA catcher to be "long term"

Yeah, I always aim to have a defensive catcher with guard or dauntless, but I think it depends on how you build your humies, and I think it's a skill I'd consider on any double except a 10. When I play humies I build all four blitzers as guard/stand firmers (though I believe the stand firm rules are different now in the latest rules? I'm not familiar with them) and look to score with my catchers when I'm receiving mainly, and use my one defensive catcher as a safety when I'm kicking off.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:46 AM   #362
aran
High School Varsity

I put a new competition together after reinstalling the game (that big boy mod messed up the teams in the beginning of the competitions, leading to playing teams that have 1400+ TV in the first season. I don't think that's particularly fun). I've got the most recent version of the AI mod and a few sim adjustments in place. I think the sim adjustments are necessary considering the insane beating AI teams get with default injury rates. It's also nice to get draws. If anyone wants me to post my changes, I'd be happy to.

I'm playing humans. 40 team league in four divisions, championship-style. Started off by beating another human team and a dwarf team each 2-0. I dominated the human team and outmaneuvered the dwarves. The games were more interesting than with the default AI. I faced my first real test versus a Skaven team. After rolling double skulls twice on the first turn, they got good downfield position on me before my thrower could even pick up the ball. They manage to bust my half-cage set up to protect my thrower and bring the ball in to make the game 1-0, early. I manage to score before the half, tying the game, thanks to my catcher making a double dodge and two GFIs to get to the endzone.

I thought I was doomed in the second half. They caged up and were ready to fly down my flank, but they had to make an intermediate pass to a lineman before putting the ball towards a gutter runner to put it in for the score. The pass was dropped by the lineman, leading to a massive brawl around the center of the field. I rushed my catcher up to grab the ball, but he's quickly knocked out. I barely managed to get the ball into the hands of my thrower, then run it down to a lineman (who was formerly beating people up around where my catcher was stationed downfield). Tow linerats get to the lineman before he can get into the endzone--he makes the dodge roll and scores the game winning touchdown! I had no rerolls left at that point, so it was a bit of a nailbiter.

One of the best games I've played yet.

Last edited by aran : 07-13-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:25 AM   #363
Icy
Pro Starter

Please aran, post the AI xml and the rest of changes you did to the sim engine.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:13 AM   #364
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Both are great. I had a +1 MA catcher and then gave him sure feet and sprint and he scored about 2 TDs a game. That said, guard would be helpful since catchers make great assist blockers. Then again, I usually try to keep them out of a situation where guard would be useful because they are so fragile.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #365
aran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Please aran, post the AI xml and the rest of changes you did to the sim engine.

This is my AI.xml (Data/Match/AI/AIxml)
Spoiler

This is my Match.xml
Spoiler
Old 07-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #366
RendeR
Coordinator

I feel totally inadequate after reading those....
Old 07-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #367
RendeR
Coordinator

Can you give some examples of how this makes the AI stronger? I'm old and feeble and totally not understanding most of what I read.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #368
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Back in stock at GoGamer! Just ordered it! Woot! Should be here in ....

7-15 days. Oh.

Guess I have a bit of a wait for this one.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #369
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz View Post

7-15 days. Oh.

Hang in there GB =)
Old 07-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #370
aran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Can you give some examples of how this makes the AI stronger? I'm old and feeble and totally not understanding most of what I read.

The AI is more aggressive and more willing to pass. They tend to cage more loosely, as well. It's not significantly better than what we currently have, but it has led the AI to make some pretty smart plays occasionally whereas before it would be too conservative.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #371
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:

7-15 days. Oh.

I broke down and paid the extra $2 ($4.99 instead of $2.99) to get 3-5 days USPS Priority mail

Last edited by Arles : 07-13-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #372
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I broke down and paid the extra $2 ($4.99 instead of $2.99) to get 3-5 days USPS

You are smarter than I am.

I just clicked through things as fast as I could. Go go go. If I had stopped to read things, I would have added the $2 to do the same thing as you did.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #373
Arles
Grey Dog Software

You can try calling them and see if they will change it
Old 07-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #374
Tasan
College Starter

Ugh...sold out again. I'm trying to get this cheaply for a friend of mine.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #375
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Ugh...sold out again. I'm trying to get this cheaply for a friend of mine.

S'okay. I just got an email that my order is on backorder.

"We expect to deliver within 30 days."

I'll just play vicariously through you all.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #376
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I started a lizardman team recently. I will gladly name one of them after you. It'd be a crime not to.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #377
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:

I guess the more expensive shipping was key as I got an email with a tracking number yesterday. According to USPS, it should be at my house by tomorrow.

I've used both normal and priority for gogamer, but I think I will go priority from now on. Seems like they fill orders first with that and then go to the "slow boat" crowd.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #378
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quick question:

I didn't check the rules, but if you're standing next to an opposing player, can you "blitz" that player (as your one blitz action that turn) and then keep moving?

I thought you could, but I couldn't seem to find that option in the PC game.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:12 AM   #379
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Quick question:

I didn't check the rules, but if you're standing next to an opposing player, can you "blitz" that player (as your one blitz action that turn) and then keep moving?

I thought you could, but I couldn't seem to find that option in the PC game.

Thanks.

I'll confirm that you can't do it in the PC version, but I don't know if you are supposed to be able to or not. The only time you can do it in the PC game is if you are prone on the ground, then you can blitz as part of your stand up action, hit the guy beside you, and run around after (assuming you are still alive!).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #380
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'll confirm that you can't do it in the PC version, but I don't know if you are supposed to be able to or not. The only time you can do it in the PC game is if you are prone on the ground, then you can blitz as part of your stand up action, hit the guy beside you, and run around after (assuming you are still alive!).

Thanks. That's been my experience with the game as well.

I was meaning to check the LBR5 rules this morning on it, but I forgot.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #381
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Because of my crazy and unpredictable work schedule (that's one gets when one is a the lackey to a crazy, work-a-holic ego maniac), I really can't be counted on to play a multiplayer league and I don't play random people, so I am pretty much stuck playing single player. And, despite the many flaws and the fact that the AI is really quite awful, I can't stop playing this game. I am sure I will get tired of it at some point, but I'm still getting enjoyment out of it.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #382
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

From the LRB5:
BLITZ MOVES
Once per turn a player on the moving team is allowed to make a
special Blitz move. A blitz allows the player to move and make a
block. The block may be made at any point during the move, but
costs one square of movement for the player to make. The
player may carry on moving after the effects of the block have
been worked out if he has any squares of movement left.

So it sort of sounds like you should be able to blitz a guy you're standing beside, then move around. But perhaps it depends on how you read the "costs one square of movement for the player to make". Does that maybe mean you have to use a movement action before the blitz (which would be why standing up works)?

Or, more likely, Cyanide just implemented it wrong or made the interface to perform it sufficiently impossible to discover
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 07-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #383
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Because of my crazy and unpredictable work schedule (that's one gets when one is a the lackey to a crazy, work-a-holic ego maniac), I really can't be counted on to play a multiplayer league and I don't play random people, so I am pretty much stuck playing single player. And, despite the many flaws and the fact that the AI is really quite awful, I can't stop playing this game. I am sure I will get tired of it at some point, but I'm still getting enjoyment out of it.

I am the same, I play strictly single player, and I'm still loving it, despite the flaws. Just started a Chaos competition recently, those guys are fun to use!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #384
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
From the LRB5:
BLITZ MOVES
Once per turn a player on the moving team is allowed to make a
special Blitz move. A blitz allows the player to move and make a
block. The block may be made at any point during the move, but
costs one square of movement for the player to make. The
player may carry on moving after the effects of the block have
been worked out if he has any squares of movement left.

So it sort of sounds like you should be able to blitz a guy you're standing beside, then move around. But perhaps it depends on how you read the "costs one square of movement for the player to make". Does that maybe mean you have to use a movement action before the blitz (which would be why standing up works)?

Or, more likely, Cyanide just implemented it wrong or made the interface to perform it sufficiently impossible to discover

I agree. The bolded language really seems to support your abilitly to block first and then move during a "blitz" action. I haven't played the table top game in almost 15, but I remember it working like that.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #385
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

To do a block-then-move blitz, you have to select the player to do the action and then, before you do the block, click the lightning bolt on the right side of the screen
Old 07-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #386
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
To do a block-then-move blitz, you have to select the player to do the action and then, before you do the block, click the lightning bolt on the right side of the screen

Cool. I will have to look for it next time I play.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #387
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

I thought I had tried that and it didn't work. I'll have to try again.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #388
Groundhog
Coordinator

I bought this yesterday. Played two single player games on medium difficulty, using Dwarves. Overall the AI is comparable to some of the poorer level players you'd find on fumbbl, maybe worse. I think the real problem is the make-up of the teams you play. I played another dwarf team that had a whole heap of blockers, one troll slayer, and one runner. Naturally I just took out the runner ASAP, and watched the AI try and pickup the ball with its blockers. I also played a human team (and beat them to an absolute pulp) that had 4 catchers, 1 thrower, no blitzers or ogre, and the rest of the team linemen.

The AI has trouble dealing with frenzy, moving lots of its guys 2 squares from the side, leading to many opportunities for crowd surfing with my troll slayers. But hey, so do a lot of folks on FUMBBL I guess.

Outside of that, very very fun. I played the heck out of the old DOS Blood Bowl single player back in the day, and this is miles ahead of that one.

I don't know how much I'll play with the online stuff, considering FUMBBL is probably better suited for that, but the single player stuff looks like it will keep my attention for some time.

Now I just need to get a grasp on some of these new skills in the latest Blood Bowl ruleset...
Old 07-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #389
thesloppy
Pro Starter

My favorite example of shabby AI:

When the dwarves use their death tractor, with no hands, to try and pick up the ball.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #390
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
My favorite example of shabby AI:

When the dwarves use their death tractor, with no hands, to try and pick up the ball.

LOL oh dear...

Not all that surprised. At one point in my game the ball was loose and in a tacklezone. The AI had two players who could reach the ball, a blocker and a runner. They decide to dodge with the AG 2 blocker, successfully mind you, and then pick the ball up in the TZ, which mercifully failed.

Also in the final turn of my Dwarves-Human game, I was stalling with my runner and it was the AI's final turn of the half. They had one guy who could reach the ball carrier, a prone catcher, with a dwarf blitzer TZ on him. Instead of blitzing with the catcher, they just stood him up and made no effort to stop me scoring on turn 8.

I'll bump it up to the hardest setting tonight and see if it makes a difference, though I'm not hopeful.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #391
aran
High School Varsity

From what I've read in the Cyanide forums, "hard" means "super-conservative". It's actually easier to beat than medium.

A good bet for a better game is to send me a PM or IM and set up a game with me! I'm available most nights after 8PM.

Last edited by aran : 07-16-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #392
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Just got absolutely destroyed by the computer in my Chaos competition. I took my 8 win, 0 loss, 1 draw, 1450 TV team against a bottom-feeding 970TV Skaven team that I'd beaten 2-0 earlier in the season.

Final score: 5-0 skavens

I couldn't do anything, I had about 5 turns end on my first dice-rolling action, I used up re-rolls like no tomorrow, I got knocked all over the pitch. It was sick.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #393
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Just got absolutely destroyed by the computer in my Chaos competition. I took my 8 win, 0 loss, 1 draw, 1450 TV team against a bottom-feeding 970TV Skaven team that I'd beaten 2-0 earlier in the season.

Final score: 5-0 skavens

I couldn't do anything, I had about 5 turns end on my first dice-rolling action, I used up re-rolls like no tomorrow, I got knocked all over the pitch. It was sick.

The beauty of Blood Bowl.

I've had some very frustrating games in FUMBBL and on the actual board game over the years that have gone down just like you say.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #394
Havok
College Starter

I've still never lost a game to the computer

I almost want to lose one. I've had a few 2-1 and 1-0 wins, but even on my human competition, i regularly beat the computer 3-0, and 4-0. (I should probably use gobo's next since they suck terribly)

The A.I. is just terrible. Everything that came from the actual blood bowl game itself is fantastic, but everything Cyanide added, such as the A.I., the campaign, the computer choosing new skills, Team Roster screen, etc... is all just terrible in my opinion.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:45 PM   #395
Groundhog
Coordinator

I played the hell out of this on the weekend, single player only. I was actually beaten once by a wood elf team. I think the AI did a good job using a team like that, but it was mainly because they never failed their numerous dodges or throws and catches in to tackle zones. Ended up losing 3-1, but it would have been 4-0 if not for two absolute BS plays that I managed to pull off. Outside of that I've had two 1-1 draws, but the vast majority of my games have been easy 3-0 or 4-0 wins.

I've been manually editing each team I play against and changing their skills to more realistic choices prior to the game, and this has made it a bit more challenging. I still can't believe they just have the players take random skills, considering skills are probably the most important aspect of the game. It gives you a massive advantage when you are playing against a team that has no linemen with block, yet two blitzers with strong arm...

Despite all the flaws, I'm enjoying the game. Created a 3 division 36 team comp, and got promoted up to division 2, where I'm 7-0 so far with my Chaos. I like how the mutations show up on your models, that's a nice touch.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #396
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I still can't believe they just have the players take random skills, considering skills are probably the most important aspect of the game. It gives you a massive advantage when you are playing against a team that has no linemen with block, yet two blitzers with strong arm...

Despite all the flaws, I'm enjoying the game. Created a 3 division 36 team comp, and got promoted up to division 2, where I'm 7-0 so far with my Chaos. I like how the mutations show up on your models, that's a nice touch.

What?!? That is how CPU teams pick their skills? That is disheartening.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #397
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
What?!? That is how CPU teams pick their skills? That is disheartening.

Well, at least I hope that's how it works, because if they actually designed it so we'd get players who can't pick up the ball taking "strong arm" or "sure hands", it's worse than I thought...

Seriously, the designers should have just gone to hxxp://fumbbl.com/skills.php and used that as the skill advance table. Even if there was absolutely zero deviation from that, it would have made the game a heck of a lot more challenging.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:26 AM   #398
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
Well, at least I hope that's how it works, because if they actually designed it so we'd get players who can't pick up the ball taking "strong arm" or "sure hands", it's worse than I thought...

Seriously, the designers should have just gone to hxxp://fumbbl.com/skills.php and used that as the skill advance table. Even if there was absolutely zero deviation from that, it would have made the game a heck of a lot more challenging.

Yep... that's what i can't figure out. How the hell does something like that 'slip' by the devs? I saw an Ogre on a computer team with strong arm, and sure hands!!!!!!!

They really really really did a shitty job with the single player stuff, but the multi-player and the translation of the rules is very good.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:32 AM   #399
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It's not random, I think, but I think in the files there is an AIWeight scioreon how much in general it should weigh those skills.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:34 AM   #400
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Dola: Additional teams mod released:

Blood Bowl Digital • View topic - All (Possible) Teams for Single Player