Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #351
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Except, he doesn't have equal talent to work with. Its a "David Carr in Houston" evaluating dilemma.

This is correct. The things to watch in this game are where he's putting the passes and how handles a pass rush. His actual stats aren't going to be important here.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #352
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
A lot of time left, but so far this is like watching the New England Patriots against an Arena League team.

I'd say the talent gap is wider in the Sugar Bowl.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #353
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

This was the only bowl game I had a lot of interest in seeing. Too bad it's been a stinker so far...Is anyone else finding it hard to get excited about OSU/LSU? Talk about a far cry from Texas/USC.

Last edited by Karlifornia : 01-01-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #354
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Oh, no. That guy is not moving at all. Looks like Kevin Everett.

EDIT: Looks like he just "got knocked THA FUCK OUT". He's sitting up now.

Last edited by Karlifornia : 01-01-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #355
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
This was the only bowl game I had a lot of interest in seeing. Too bad it's been a stinker so far...Is anyone else finding it hard to get excited about OSU/LSU? Talk about a far cry from Texas/USC.

Honestly, Michigan vs Florida will end up being the most exciting game of the bowl season. Nothing left seems that appealing at all.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #356
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The fluff stories to pass time have begun.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #357
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Honestly, Michigan vs Florida will end up being the most exciting game of the bowl season. Nothing left seems that appealing at all.

+1
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #358
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'd say the talent gap is wider in the Sugar Bowl.

Come on, its a travesty that this undefeated team was shut out of playing for the national title.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #359
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
UW does has a black cheerleader, . And I dunno if he was in that picture, but he's in this one and performed all season.

I glanced around quickly and didn't notice him, which led me to at first believe you were talking about him being the mascot with the oversized white head .

Last edited by Logan : 01-01-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:15 PM   #360
Jas_lov
College Starter

FUMBLE BRENNAN! GEORGIA RECOVERS! THIS IS DOWNRIGHT EMBARASSING!
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #361
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Come on, its a travesty that this undefeated team was shut out of playing for the NAIA national title.

Fixed that for you
Old 01-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #362
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow. I call game score 69-17
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #363
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

No reason to think Georgia doesn't go up 31-3 here....Hawaii might be hitting Bourbon St. tonight.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #364
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The only chance Hawaii had in this game was if CMR royally screwed up in the preparation.

He didn't.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #365
Jas_lov
College Starter

Go for it! They can't stop you!
Old 01-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #366
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
No reason to think Georgia doesn't go up 31-3 here....Hawaii might be hitting Bourbon St. tonight.

or possibly at halftime
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #367
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Hawaii gets a stop. Now lets see if the offense can get anything going.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #368
Jas_lov
College Starter

Nope. Another sack. Brennan limping.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #369
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Brennans delievery is gonna scare teams away.

I really think he is David Carr 2.0.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #370
digamma
Torchbearer

I just gave my wife the remote control.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #371
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

What an indictment against Hawaii.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #372
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tebow tried to warn Brennan beforehand.
"Tim told me that Georgia had the best defense that he saw all season, and no one gave him as much trouble as they did," Brennan said. "He just told me to get ready because they would be coming after me. I got the message."
Old 01-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #373
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Brennans delievery is gonna scare teams away.

I really think he is David Carr 2.0.

I agree. He throws it like a 5-year-old.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #374
DeToxRox
Head Coach

It's quiet with Hawaii being dominated, K0rupt0r has nothing to flood the thread about.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #375
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Chris Rose and Jimmy Johnson is the most unimpressive halftime duo ever.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:28 PM   #376
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Chris Rose and Jimmy Johnson is the most unimpressive halftime duo ever.

So, we should be seeing them on the NFL Network any minute now.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #377
Atocep
Coordinator

Hawaii goes into the locker room lucky to be down 24-3.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #378
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
But that's an undergrad population that's only 6% black (6% Asian, 5% "other", 83% white).

Wow, 5% made up of people from Lost, who didn't crash on flight 815? They must all have picked UGA.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:41 PM   #379
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not sure how this will turn out, but Washington is the only team from a BCS conference that Hawaii played this season. Washington came in next to last place in the Pac Ten (ahead of Stanford). Hawaii came from behind to beat Washington in a close game at Hawaii. Washington also beat Boise State this year.
Washington actually finished dead last in the Pac-10 this year.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #380
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

The Georgia band is playing "Don't Stop Believing". The Hawaii band should have been playing that.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #381
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Breaking news: Southern Cal just scored again.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:51 PM   #382
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Breaking news: Southern Cal just scored again.

Lol....Nothing quite like some "Southern College Football Fan Humor". I can dig it. Can I try, even though I'm not southern? Well, I'll just go ahead and imbibe:

Why did USC say "merci beaucoups" after every TD? Because they confused Illinois for the French army.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #383
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Last sighting saw Ron Zook at an ATM. When asked his plans he quickly put away a wad of bills and said "Um, going recruiting"
Old 01-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #384
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Last sighting saw Ron Zook at an ATM. When asked his plans he quickly put away a wad of bills and said "Um, going recruiting"

Unfortunately, it was temporarily out of service, as Neuheisel had just emptied it moments earlier.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #385
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Unfortunately, it was temporarily out of service, as Neuheisel had just emptied it moments earlier.

Well played.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #386
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wolverines give Carr special send-off

ORLANDO, Fla. -- They threw everything out there one last time, every last trick play, every last drop of sweat, everything. They did it because few thought they could, because they'd been beaten up all year. And in the end, the truth came out, impossible to hide anymore.

The Wolverines did it for their retiring coach, the man with the reluctant storyline, the man who took his final ride off the field Tuesday on the backs of his players, wearing a smile he may never lose.

In a dramatic finish to Lloyd Carr's coaching career, Michigan took a classic 41-35 victory over defending national champion Florida in the Capital One Bowl. And in the dressing room immediately afterward, all the pent-up emotions came spilling out.

There were tears and hugs and shouts of "Bowl win, baby!" and "Gator-bait!" The players popped cans of soda and sprayed each other. They sang "It's great to be a Michigan Wolverine," and then, in a wild scene of glee, they grabbed for their coach, pulling off his jacket, tearing at his shirt.

And together, they began the chant.

"Lloyd, Lloyd, Lloyd! Lloyd, Lloyd, Lloyd! Lloyd, Lloyd, Llooooooooyd!"
Carr, Michigan's coach for 13 years, then climbed onto a plastic chair in the middle of the room and addressed his team one more time.

"We overcame a lot of mistakes, but what a great, great victory for Michigan!" he said. "It defines this team. It doesn't define you individually because you've already done that. But this team will be remembered for what you did today in this great old stadium, after all the things that you went through. To me, you left a legacy here for all those teams to remember."

The players erupted in applause, then grew quiet again. This was the Wolverines' first bowl victory in five years, and capped a 9-4 season. But it wasn't about records and statistics anymore.

Carr continued, imploring his players to get their degrees. He thanked his coaches -- most of whom will depart -- and all his support staff. And then he turned to his key players, to Mike Hart, Jake Long, Shawn Crable, Chad Henne and the others.

"To the seniors, I love you," Carr said, and finally, his voice broke. "I love every man in this room. And it's been my great fortune to lead this program and to have these people with me. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart."

And lastly, there was this: "So gentlemen, what a happy day you've given me to remember the rest of my life."

Memorable ending

This is how every good story should end. This is why college football endures. Michigan was a huge underdog to Florida, and rightly so. The program had been under fire almost all year, from the opening game when tiny Appalachian State pulled the historic shocker.

More stumbles followed, capped by season-ending losses to Wisconsin and Ohio State. Then came the balky search for Carr's replacement, Rich Rodriguez, who was at the stadium Tuesday.

The Wolverines always said, when they got healthy, they could be great. The words became actions on an amazing day, when Henne, recovered from a shoulder injury, had the game of his life, throwing for 373 yards and three touchdowns.

Receiver Adrian Arrington, who might consider leaving for the NFL, was incredible. Hart, recovered from an ankle injury, rushed for 129 yards, and added to the day's drama by losing two fumbles. He had lost only one his entire career.

"I don't care about the fumbles because we won, and that's all that matters," Hart said. "Lloyd is one of the greatest coaches in college football history. This game was about the team, but when it's over, it's about Lloyd. We all realized that. That's why we all played so hard."

They played hard, although certainly not perfectly. There were turnovers and penalties and Florida kept coming back. But the Wolverines kept hitting the Gators' Heisman-winning quarterback Tim Tebow, showing a spirit they hadn't always shown, attacking with blitzes and determination.

On Florida's final two drives, Tebow was harassed into defeat, throwing six straight incompletions. When the last fourth-down pass hit the grass, Michigan's sideline erupted and the outnumbered pocket of Michigan fans in the stands cheered madly.

Emotions overflow

"We were hitting 'em high, we were hitting 'em hard, we were hitting 'em often," safety Jamar Adams said as the celebration calmed in the dressing room. "This is the best feeling in the world. We'd been through some hard times, everyone was talking bad about us, saying we had no chance. I knew it was possible because of all the great athletes here, and all the great coaches."

This game was framed by Carr's retirement, yes. And everyone was driven by that, although they'd cleverly dodged the topic beforehand.

The real emotions flew afterward. Defensive coordinator Ron English ended his stay at Michigan with an aggressive game plan to slow down the powerful Gators. And when it was over, he stood on the field and sobbed uncontrollably, tears rolling down his cheeks.

The assistants gave their best to the end, with nothing to gain but the satisfaction of a great victory, as they now look for their next jobs. English was the one who, before the game, stood up and fired up the team, saying the things Carr didn't want to say.

"Coach English told us we had to win it for Coach Carr, so that's what we did," defensive end Brandon Graham said. "We all took our vows that we weren't going to hold nothing back. We weren't going to have no regrets.

Everyonewas crying and yelling and saying, 'We gotta do it, we gotta do it.'"

So they did.

"People were disrespecting us all week, all year, our coaches, our players, our program!" Long shouted to the team after Carr spoke in the locker room. "Man, we killed them. We played together, we played for Michigan, we played for Coach Carr, we played for the coaches. And no one could stop us!"

With that, Long called for the fight song, and the old coach sang as loudly as anyone. The noise in that locker room rang pure and true, and for Carr and his staff and his senior players, it surely will ring forever.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #387
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Brennan looks horrible. Wow.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #388
bhlloy
Coordinator

Colt drops another round or two. Isn't his selling point his great accuracy?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #389
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Two very boring BCS games so far....
Old 01-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #390
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Wolverines give Carr special send-off

ORLANDO, Fla. -- They threw everything out there one last time, every last trick play, every last drop of sweat, everything. They did it because few thought they could, because they'd been beaten up all year. And in the end, the truth came out, impossible to hide anymore.

The Wolverines did it for their retiring coach, the man with the reluctant storyline, the man who took his final ride off the field Tuesday on the backs of his players, wearing a smile he may never lose.

In a dramatic finish to Lloyd Carr's coaching career, Michigan took a classic 41-35 victory over defending national champion Florida in the Capital One Bowl. And in the dressing room immediately afterward, all the pent-up emotions came spilling out.

There were tears and hugs and shouts of "Bowl win, baby!" and "Gator-bait!" The players popped cans of soda and sprayed each other. They sang "It's great to be a Michigan Wolverine," and then, in a wild scene of glee, they grabbed for their coach, pulling off his jacket, tearing at his shirt.

And together, they began the chant.

"Lloyd, Lloyd, Lloyd! Lloyd, Lloyd, Lloyd! Lloyd, Lloyd, Llooooooooyd!"
Carr, Michigan's coach for 13 years, then climbed onto a plastic chair in the middle of the room and addressed his team one more time.

"We overcame a lot of mistakes, but what a great, great victory for Michigan!" he said. "It defines this team. It doesn't define you individually because you've already done that. But this team will be remembered for what you did today in this great old stadium, after all the things that you went through. To me, you left a legacy here for all those teams to remember."

The players erupted in applause, then grew quiet again. This was the Wolverines' first bowl victory in five years, and capped a 9-4 season. But it wasn't about records and statistics anymore.

Carr continued, imploring his players to get their degrees. He thanked his coaches -- most of whom will depart -- and all his support staff. And then he turned to his key players, to Mike Hart, Jake Long, Shawn Crable, Chad Henne and the others.

"To the seniors, I love you," Carr said, and finally, his voice broke. "I love every man in this room. And it's been my great fortune to lead this program and to have these people with me. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart."

And lastly, there was this: "So gentlemen, what a happy day you've given me to remember the rest of my life."

Memorable ending

This is how every good story should end. This is why college football endures. Michigan was a huge underdog to Florida, and rightly so. The program had been under fire almost all year, from the opening game when tiny Appalachian State pulled the historic shocker.

More stumbles followed, capped by season-ending losses to Wisconsin and Ohio State. Then came the balky search for Carr's replacement, Rich Rodriguez, who was at the stadium Tuesday.

The Wolverines always said, when they got healthy, they could be great. The words became actions on an amazing day, when Henne, recovered from a shoulder injury, had the game of his life, throwing for 373 yards and three touchdowns.

Receiver Adrian Arrington, who might consider leaving for the NFL, was incredible. Hart, recovered from an ankle injury, rushed for 129 yards, and added to the day's drama by losing two fumbles. He had lost only one his entire career.

"I don't care about the fumbles because we won, and that's all that matters," Hart said. "Lloyd is one of the greatest coaches in college football history. This game was about the team, but when it's over, it's about Lloyd. We all realized that. That's why we all played so hard."

They played hard, although certainly not perfectly. There were turnovers and penalties and Florida kept coming back. But the Wolverines kept hitting the Gators' Heisman-winning quarterback Tim Tebow, showing a spirit they hadn't always shown, attacking with blitzes and determination.

On Florida's final two drives, Tebow was harassed into defeat, throwing six straight incompletions. When the last fourth-down pass hit the grass, Michigan's sideline erupted and the outnumbered pocket of Michigan fans in the stands cheered madly.

Emotions overflow

"We were hitting 'em high, we were hitting 'em hard, we were hitting 'em often," safety Jamar Adams said as the celebration calmed in the dressing room. "This is the best feeling in the world. We'd been through some hard times, everyone was talking bad about us, saying we had no chance. I knew it was possible because of all the great athletes here, and all the great coaches."

This game was framed by Carr's retirement, yes. And everyone was driven by that, although they'd cleverly dodged the topic beforehand.

The real emotions flew afterward. Defensive coordinator Ron English ended his stay at Michigan with an aggressive game plan to slow down the powerful Gators. And when it was over, he stood on the field and sobbed uncontrollably, tears rolling down his cheeks.

The assistants gave their best to the end, with nothing to gain but the satisfaction of a great victory, as they now look for their next jobs. English was the one who, before the game, stood up and fired up the team, saying the things Carr didn't want to say.

"Coach English told us we had to win it for Coach Carr, so that's what we did," defensive end Brandon Graham said. "We all took our vows that we weren't going to hold nothing back. We weren't going to have no regrets.

Everyonewas crying and yelling and saying, 'We gotta do it, we gotta do it.'"

So they did.

"People were disrespecting us all week, all year, our coaches, our players, our program!" Long shouted to the team after Carr spoke in the locker room. "Man, we killed them. We played together, we played for Michigan, we played for Coach Carr, we played for the coaches. And no one could stop us!"

With that, Long called for the fight song, and the old coach sang as loudly as anyone. The noise in that locker room rang pure and true, and for Carr and his staff and his senior players, it surely will ring forever.

Spare me. Everyone was pushing him out the door, and now you wanna rep that bullshit? Were you calling for his job to saved, or even for people to stop being hard on him? If so, I'll back off. If not, this sounds like someone co-opting something they had no belief in. Like Rudy's parents from that one movie...I think it was called...Rudy?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #391
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

My wife is watching Dr. Phil. I am eating prime rib and playing WoW.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #392
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Spare me. Everyone was pushing him out the door, and now you wanna rep that bullshit? Were you calling for his job to saved, or even for people to stop being hard on him? If so, I'll back off. If not, this sounds like someone co-opting something they had no belief in. Like Rudy's parents from that one movie...I think it was called...Rudy?

YEAH!!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #393
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Colt drops another round or two. Isn't his selling point his great accuracy?

was based on 6-7 yard routes. I think most scouts had their minds leaning towards low 2-3 rd. before this game. He will have to have a great combine to make this up
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #394
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

+1

Michigan fans make me ill.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #395
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
+1

Michigan fans make me ill.

I love you. I want your scatchy goatee on my chin.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #396
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
YEAH!!!!

or they realized the Buckeyes couldnt kick their ass again. Oh Yeah
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #397
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I love you. I want your scatchy goatee on my chin.

Its not scratchy, its very soft. I use conditioner.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #398
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I think most Michigan fans will tell you it was time for change in Ann Arbor, but the smart ones will also tell you Lloyd did a great job keeping the program running and winning that 97 NC. He was loyal to a fault and he made kids men. Anyone who personally bad mouths the guy is an idiot. I loved Lloyd, but as with anything, his time as coach was done. I wish him all the best and there is a reason so many kids come back to visit, he had that kind of effect on them.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #399
DeToxRox
Head Coach

RIP Colt Brennan

You just got killed
Old 01-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #400
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

That's gonna leave a mark.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote