Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-06-2007, 01:30 PM   #351
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The quality control issues have caused some major PR hits for the 360.

Yeah, they really killed their October sales number and just took all the steam out of the Black Friday push
Old 12-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #352
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Maybe my math is off... but here goes:

I'll simplify it somewhat. Sony has to cut the console difference between the 360 and Sony by let say 7M units (this holiday isn't over yet obviously). Sony has to outsell the 360 worldwide by 3.5M each year to do it by the end of 2009. That's roughly 300K units/month worldwide for two straight years. Certainly a tremendous task to complete.

I believe there are going to be some boosts along the way that will decrease the margin needed in other months. I think the first major boost in 2008 worldwide will obviously be MGS4 in the April timeframe. GT5 should be another big boost month. God of War 3 could be coming as soon as Holiday season 2008 along with Resistance 2. FF games will come likely in late 2008 or early 2009 and will provide a huge boost.

On the MS side, while they have had some good exclusives, the only true system seller at this point is the Halo franchise. They need to prep another Halo game as soon as possible. I think that Gears has also reached the level where it will boost sales as well, though to a lesser degree than Halo.

Either way, the competition is wonderful. With the narrowing of the sales gap, developers are going to be on both systems creating some great titles for both user bases.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #353
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Yeah, they really killed their October sales number and just took all the steam out of the Black Friday push

As has been mentioned before, the sales figures for that weekend have been highly debated. Until we see the NPD figures, it's hard to tell who's telling the truth. But we'll know in the next week or so.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #354
Kodos
Resident Alien

I had an open-box 60 GB PS3 in my cart today for $399, but I just couldn't get myself to pull the trigger. I have a lot of games for the 360 that I haven't even played yet. Figured I would wait for another price drop on the 80 GB model and for a rumble-enabled controller to come around.

Does anyone know when the new controller is supposed to be available?

Main problem with my 360 is that I am pretty sure it is going to crap out soon, as it has been acting up a bit recently with RRODs.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-06-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #355
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Does anyone know when the new controller is supposed to be available?

Pretty sure the rumble is available in North America in February.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #356
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
I'll simplify it somewhat. Sony has to cut the console difference between the 360 and Sony by let say 7M units (this holiday isn't over yet obviously). Sony has to outsell the 360 worldwide by 3.5M each year to do it by the end of 2009. That's roughly 300K units/month worldwide for two straight years. Certainly a tremendous task to complete.

I believe there are going to be some boosts along the way that will decrease the margin needed in other months. I think the first major boost in 2008 worldwide will obviously be MGS4 in the April timeframe. GT5 should be another big boost month. God of War 3 could be coming as soon as Holiday season 2008 along with Resistance 2. FF games will come likely in late 2008 or early 2009 and will provide a huge boost.

On the MS side, while they have had some good exclusives, the only true system seller at this point is the Halo franchise. They need to prep another Halo game as soon as possible. I think that Gears has also reached the level where it will boost sales as well, though to a lesser degree than Halo.

Either way, the competition is wonderful. With the narrowing of the sales gap, developers are going to be on both systems creating some great titles for both user bases.

Reading what you type, it almost sounds like you think all the great Xbox 360 games have already been released... almost like you think there won't be another game released for the xbox this generation. Sure PS3 has some system selling games coming, buts its pretty silly to think Xbox won't at the very least keep pace from here out.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #357
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

As usual, you don't give enough credits to the 360 exclusives. Bioshock has become a player in the race. So has Mass Effect which has done very well in sales. Those games will have sequels and Bioshock's may be out in 2008. GOW 2 will likely be out in 08. Also, Ninja Gaiden was a major seller and the 360 exclusive of that will be out in 08. There are dozens of exclusives coming out for the 360, and some of them will be good enough to keep the sales of 360's flowing, not to mention the superior library that the 360 already has out. As far as the narrowing of the sales gap, that isn't even a foregone conclusion. I wouldn't be surprised if the final numbers for this holiday season show that the 360 has increased the gap.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-06-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #358
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
As usual, you don't give enough credits to the 360 exclusives. Bioshock has become a player in the race. So has Mass Effect which has done very well in sales. Those games will have sequels and Bioshock's may be out in 2008. GOW 2 will likely be out in 08. Also, Ninja Gaiden was a major seller and the 360 exclusive of that will be out in 08. There are dozens of exclusives coming out for the 360, and some of them will be good enough to keep the sales of 360's flowing, not to mention the superior library that the 360 already has out. As far as the narrowing of the sales gap, that isn't even a foregone conclusion. I wouldn't be surprised if the final numbers for this holiday season show that the 360 has increased the gap.

I agree that Bioshock, GOW2, NG2 and Mass Effect will all sell well. With that said, only Gears of War can be considered a console mover. Mass Effect is highly rated, but hasn't moved units at all. Bioshock provided a great game for existing owners, but didn't provide a substantial boost in console sales. NG2 is a niche game and will sell well, but no one's going to go out and buy a console to play that game. You highly overestimate the console moving power of 3 out of those 4 games. As I said before, Halo and GOW are the major console movers at this point.

In regards to the gap, the numbers will be here in a week. You stated earlier in this thread that we'd have to wait a long time to see the PS3 take a worldwide lead. This month's North American numbers should complete the picture and see just how close Sony gets.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-06-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #359
Atocep
Coordinator

FWIW, despite the spin coming from Sony market analysts are predicting that the 360 rivals Wii sales in North America this holiday season with both outselling the PS3 roughly 2:1.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #360
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
FWIW, despite the spin coming from Sony market analysts are predicting that the 360 rivals Wii sales in North America this holiday season with both outselling the PS3 roughly 2:1.

Analysts are a dime a dozen in this industry. They all have an opinion, but usually end up being wrong. I would be greatly interested to see the link to the analyst who said that, as the number for November are going to make him look silly in regards to the 360. I'm not sure who you're referring to, but there's no way in God's green Earth that the 360 will rival the Wii sales during the holiday season. I'm all for discussion, but let's deal in some numbers that have some basis in fact.

Here's the raw numbers for November according to VGChartz (standard disclaimer applies as they overstated the Xbox 360 sales numbers by over 250K in October):

Quote:
Worldwide Console Sales Numbers for November:

Wii: 3,219,000
PS3: 1,994,000
360: 1,769,000

Worldwide numbers show that the PS3 will outsell the 360 this month by over 200K units. Wii outsells the 360 by 82% and the PS3 by 61%.

Quote:
November North American Totals:

Wii: 2,261K
360: 1,390K
PS3: 1,263K

Week beginning October 28th:

Wii: 279K
360: 197K
PS3: 145K

Week beginning November 4th:

wii: 264K
360: 201K
PS3: 200K

Week beginning November 11th:

Wii: 433K
360: 241K
PS3: 229K

Week beginning November 18th:

Wii: 640K
360: 391K
PS3: 338K

Week beginning November 25th:

Wii: 645K
360: 360K
PS3: 351K

North America is now the only region where the 360 is not in last place amongst the 3 major consoles. The 360 outsold the PS3 by roughly 130K units. The Wii leads by a sizable margin over the PS3 and 360.

Quote:
November Japanese Totals:

Wii: 237K
PS3: 215K
360: 50K

Wii: 40K
360: 18K
PS3: 17K

PS3: 57K
wii: 35K
360: 7K

PS3: 47K
Wii: 36K
360: 6K

PS3: 55K
Wii: 51K
360: 7K

Wii: 75K
PS3: 39K
360: 5K

The PS3 made a big run at the Wii in Japan, falling just short of first place. The 360 is being outsold by both the PS3 and Wii by over a 4:1 margin.

Quote:
November PAL Totals:

Wii: 721K
PS3: 516K
360: 329K

Wii: 93K
PS3: 73K
360: 41K

wii: 83K
PS3: 79K
360: 49K

Wii: 130K
PS3: 87K
360: 59K

Wii: 171K
PS3: 108K
360: 75K

Wii: 244K
PS3: 169K
360: 105K

The Wii wins this region as well, outselling the PS3 by 200K and the 360 by over 400K. Very discouraging numbers for MS as they hoped they could hold even in Europe with the PS3.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #361
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Bad news for PAL territory Wii owners.......Super Smash Bros. Brawl has been delayed until the 3rd quarter of 2008.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/06-12-2007-7051.html
Old 12-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #362
Atocep
Coordinator

1.) The PS3 is still over 7 million consoles behind 360. It isn't catching MS in '08 and even '09 would be a major stretching considering the number of consoles sold is going to drop after the holiday season.

2.) Regardless of what happens Sony comes out of this generation as the big losers. Neither the PS3 nor Blu-Ray have performed anywhere near as well as Sony hoped and still trailing the 360 in '09 is still worst case scenario for Sony when you look at the expectations the PS3 had. There is no way to spin the way this generation has played out. It has been disaster after disaster for Sony.

3.) You spin absolutely everything in Sony's favor. You could look at those numbers and say that despite the much anticpated price drop the PS3 is still in last place in North America.

4.) The Wii is the winner this genration. There is no way around it, no way to spin it. Right now MS and Sony are battling for the bragging rights that come with 2nd place. The fact that both MS and Sony fanboys ignore the Wii is what makes it funny. They accept that they have no shot at catching it and just want to argue back and forth.

5.) Sony fanboys are a dime a dozen in the industry. They have an opinion, but this generation usually end up being wrong. I'm all in for discussion, but lets look at some numbers that have some basis in fact.

Quote:
Wii 15.56 Million
360 14.14 Million
PS3 6.73 Million

For those keeping score at home. That is Sony in last place and even at the current rate if they outsell the 360 by 200k per month (unthinkable) then its still nearly 3 years before they catch the 360.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #363
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
1.) The PS3 is still over 7 million consoles behind 360. It isn't catching MS in '08 and even '09 would be a major stretching considering the number of consoles sold is going to drop after the holiday season.

2.) Regardless of what happens Sony comes out of this generation as the big losers. Neither the PS3 nor Blu-Ray have performed anywhere near as well as Sony hoped and still trailing the 360 in '09 is still worst case scenario for Sony when you look at the expectations the PS3 had. There is no way to spin the way this generation has played out. It has been disaster after disaster for Sony.

3.) You spin absolutely everything in Sony's favor. You could look at those numbers and say that despite the much anticpated price drop the PS3 is still in last place in North America.

4.) The Wii is the winner this genration. There is no way around it, no way to spin it. Right now MS and Sony are battling for the bragging rights that come with 2nd place. The fact that both MS and Sony fanboys ignore the Wii is what makes it funny. They accept that they have no shot at catching it and just want to argue back and forth.

5.) Sony fanboys are a dime a dozen in the industry. They have an opinion, but this generation usually end up being wrong. I'm all in for discussion, but lets look at some numbers that have some basis in fact.

For those keeping score at home. That is Sony in last place and even at the current rate if they outsell the 360 by 200k per month (unthinkable) then its still nearly 3 years before they catch the 360.

I'm still waiting for that analyst who said the 360 would match the Wii sales this holiday season and outsell the PS3 2:1.

1. Sony is behind. That was never questioned.

2. Sony did mess up this generation. That was also never questioned. I'm not sure there's been many disasters of late for Sony, as they have finally put some AAA titles into play and dropped the price, which has generated very positive press and sales numbers.

3. I didn't spin anything. The numbers are right there. The 360 will finish last in worldwide sales this month. One month ago, very few people would have even considered that a possiblity. EF27 countered my prediction that the PS3 would beat the 360 in worldwide numbers this month by saying that I'd have to wait awhile longer for that to happen. That would appear to be incorrect.

4. The Wii is the winner in this generation. That was never questioned and these numbers back that up. Not sure why there's any disagreement there.

5. Cute play on my comments, but I still haven't seen you cite the analyst's article. I didn't do any analysis outside of posting the raw numbers that show that I was correct at the start of this month. Certainly, I've already cited the uphill climb for Sony, but they still have a lot of bullets in the gun in regard to exclusives that will sell a lot of consoles. The next one to watch is the release later this month of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. IMHO, it's nothing more than a glorified demo, but it should provide a nice numbers boost in Japan in December.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-06-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #364
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I can't believe it's been almost a year and we are still arguing with MBBF about this.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #365
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm still waiting for that analyst who said the 360 would match the Wii sales this holiday season and outsell the PS3 2:1.

There is no point to posting it. You don't believe anything written or spoken that goes against what you have already made up in your mind. I didn't say it was solid proof of anything either. If you noticed I opened the comment off with a "fwiw" not insuating in any way what I believe.

You seem to assume everyone in this thread is in one way or another as biased as you. Here are some facts. I do not own a PS3 or 360. I have never played a game on or touched either console. I bought a Wii for my son in March and bought exactly 1 game for myself on the console when I got it. None since. I do not visit fanboy sites for Sony or Microsoft, any info I read is from sites that cover all consoles and PC games (PC games is why I would be on the site in the first place).

Numbers can be posted again and again and again, but Sony is still just over 7 million consoles behind and their chances of catching the 360 before Microsoft launches their next console are slim at best. Its going to take more than a Tsunami to finish 2nd at this point.

My comment about the Wii is because every time you and others mention the console war and someone winning it is always talk between the 360 and PS3. You don't even have to leave this page to see it.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #366
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
There is no point to posting it.

Numbers can be posted again and again and again, but Sony is still just over 7 million consoles behind and their chances of catching the 360 before Microsoft launches their next console are slim at best. Its going to take more than a Tsunami to finish 2nd at this point.

My comment about the Wii is because every time you and others mention the console war and someone winning it is always talk between the 360 and PS3. You don't even have to leave this page to see it.

I certainly would love to see it, but I understand if you're unwilling to post it.

I totally disagree that the PS3 can't catch the 360 in 2 years time. I've stated my reasons for that belief at length.

The battle between next-gen consoles is between the 360 and the PS3 IMO. I fully understand that some may disagree with that. With that said, I cited the Wii's numbers in my post and stated that they were leading in all three regions. I'm not what more credit you would like to see for the Wii. I'd say that's pretty high praise.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:15 PM   #367
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The battle between next-gen consoles is between the 360 and the PS3 IMO. I fully understand that some may disagree with that. With that said, I cited the Wii's numbers in my post and stated that they were leading in all three regions. I'm not what more credit you would like to see for the Wii. I'd say that's pretty high praise.

Going out on a limb, but I'm guessing he was looking for you to actually acknowledge the Wii as a console for this gen. Just guessing, tho. I mean damning with faint praise is always appreciated, too.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-06-2007 at 07:15 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:32 PM   #368
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Going out on a limb, but I'm guessing he was looking for you to actually acknowledge the Wii as a console for this gen. Just guessing, tho. I mean damning with faint praise is always appreciated, too.

SI

I have a Wii myself. I play it quite a bit and enjoy it. But it's not a next-gen system. That's my opinion and nothing more. I'm not sure why he would care whether or not I 'acknowledge' it. I don't see how it matters.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #369
MJ4H
Coordinator

It is absolutely a next-gen system, and your opinion that it is not is stupid.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #370
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fine....call it HD systems vs ED systems then. The Wii is what it is...pretty darn fun. But it's not an HD system like the 360 or ps3.

Last edited by stevew : 12-06-2007 at 07:44 PM.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #371
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Fine....call it HD systems vs ED systems then. The Wii is what it is...pretty darn fun. But it's not an HD system like the 360 or ps3.

The Wii went for next-gen controller and user experience, rather than next-gen processor/video/sound. It's just different next-gen, and doing quite well for that.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #372
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The Wii went for next-gen controller and user experience, rather than next-gen processor/video/sound. It's just different next-gen, and doing quite well for that.

I think that's a fair assessment. Just because it's different does not mean it's inferior.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #373
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

People it's been over a year since these consoles came out. 360, PS3, and Wii are all current-gen now. Next-gen will be the stuff coming out sometime around 2012.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #374
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Has anyone posted this ps3 $299 deal?

Glen from the Sports Gamer blog posted this link: http://sonycard.sony.com/sonygateway...ID=&PROMO=DF01
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:20 PM   #375
Groundhog
Coordinator

Are Wii systems region coded? I can't see myself buying one any point in the near future after spending so much cash on a PS3 and a Macbook over the past few months, but it's a possibility further down the track, if solely for the Mario and Zelda titles.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:28 PM   #376
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yes.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:59 PM   #377
Pacersfan46
H.S. Freshman Team

Sony did well in November in part because on Black Friday they gave away TEN Blu Ray disc movies with the purchase of any PS3. At bare minimum price that's $250 worth of movies if they're the price of a Blu Ray movie the day it comes out, which is cheaper initially.

Microsoft didn't have any real deal, and still was fairly even with the PS3 in that month that they were giving away hundreds of dollars worth of movies to move a PS3.

That's really not such good news.

-- Steve --

Last edited by Pacersfan46 : 12-06-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Pacersfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:34 PM   #378
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
Sony did well in November in part because on Black Friday they gave away TEN Blu Ray disc movies with the purchase of any PS3. At bare minimum price that's $250 worth of movies if they're the price of a Blu Ray movie the day it comes out, which is cheaper initially.

Microsoft didn't have any real deal, and still was fairly even with the PS3 in that month that they were giving away hundreds of dollars worth of movies to move a PS3.

That's really not such good news.

-- Steve --

There were great bundle deals all over the place for the 360 on Black Friday and a lot of people bought them. Most of those bundle deals were store-offered, not MS.

Similarly, the BR offer was a store offer, not Sony. Also, those BR disks only probably cost Sony about $5-10 to create with the movie and the wholesale price was very cheap (not anything close to retail). They weren't giving away anything near the $250 you claim they were handing out.

2/3rds of the sales for the month occurred outside the Thanksgiving week. It wasn't solely based on sales for that week. MS actually claimed a 2:1 sales advantage for the Thanksgiving weekend in a press release. Obviously, those numbers were not even close to correct as Sony had asserted in their follow-up press release.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:07 PM   #379
wade moore
lolzcat

To be fair, 5 of the free Blu-Ray discs were from Sony.

But, yeah - I got a 360 package with a free controller and it was one of several store deals (Guitar Hero II, etc) that i could have chosen from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:02 AM   #380
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
To be fair, 5 of the free Blu-Ray discs were from Sony.

Actually, they weren't part of those 10 BR movies. The deal that Pacersfan is referring to was the Wal-Mart Black Friday PS3 deal. With a PS3 purchase, the buyer got 10 free BR movies from Wal-Mart instantly.

The 5 free BR movies deal that you're referring to was separate, making the total deal actually 15 free BR movies.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:34 AM   #381
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Random FOFC'er: The 360 outsold the PS3 X to 1 this week/month/year/century.

MBBF: No one questions that. Just this week the PS3 sold 4 more units in Kobe, Japan, that's what matters. Plus, the PS3 has a special this week where you get 3 copies of Ishtar on Blue Ray and a 4 dimensional-axis racing wheel. Celine Dion has announced that her next album will be a PS3 exclusive.

Random FOFC'er: But the 360 still outsells the PS3.

MBBF: No one questions that, moron. Sony will soon be announcing a new SKU with a built-in floppy drive and Betamax support. This should make Valentine's Day very interesting!
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 12-07-2007 at 07:16 AM. Reason: That's what I get for posting past my bedtime.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:37 AM   #382
CraigSca
Pro Starter

MBBF: From a purely analytical point of view - tell me, what vested interest do you have in Sony that you feel the need to support them here? Is there anything beyond the typical, "hey, I bought one and I don't want to feel bad that I possibly made the wrong decision"?

I suppose I could say the same for myself, but I'm really not that interested in the day-to-day upkeep that this "responsibility" requires.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 12-07-2007 at 07:17 AM. Reason: see above
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:31 AM   #383
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post

MBBF: No one questions that. Just this week the PS3 sold 4 more units in Kobe, Japan, that's what matters. Plus, the PS3 has a special this week where you get 3 copies of Ishtar on Blue Ray and a 4 dimensional-axis racing wheel. Celine Dion has announced that her next album will be a PS3 exclusive.

MBBF: No one questions that, moron. Sony will soon be announcing a new SKU with a built-in floppy drive and Betamax support. This should Valentine's Day very interesting!

That was almost as funny as the actual posts he makes.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:40 AM   #384
Phototropic
Mascot

Quote:

MBBF: No one questions that, moron. Sony will soon be announcing a new SKU with a built-in floppy drive and Betamax support. This should make Valentine's Day very interesting!
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:45 AM   #385
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I can't believe it's been almost a year and we are still arguing with MBBF about this.

Also confused about why these threads are still so long.

More fun to read than a political debate, though.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:53 AM   #386
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I still love these threads.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:05 AM   #387
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Also confused about why these threads are still so long.

More fun to read than a political debate, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I still love these threads.

I think Butter hit it well. Because this is just video games it never gets THAT serious like a political thread, yet it still has all of the fun and drama of a good partisan fight that just never quite escalates too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:11 AM   #388
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

There is an interesting rumor out there. Based on a new patent applied for by Sega, there is speculation that a Dreamcast 2 might be in the works.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/06-12-2007-7049.html
Old 12-07-2007, 08:15 AM   #389
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
There is an interesting rumor out there. Based on a new patent applied for by Sega, there is speculation that a Dreamcast 2 might be in the works.

That might just be come patent/trademark lawyers trying to bill some more hours by convincing the company that it should renew.

I had a Dreamcast. Good system. Too bad it fell off the face of the Earth.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:47 AM   #390
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
MBBF: From a purely analytical point of view - tell me, what vested interest do you have in Sony that you feel the need to support them here? Is there anything beyond the typical, "hey, I bought one and I don't want to feel bad that I possibly made the wrong decision"?

I suppose I could say the same for myself, but I'm really not that interested in the day-to-day upkeep that this "responsibility" requires.

No one was bitching about my bias earlier in the month when I posted totals showing that the 360 had a good October and the PS3 crapped all over itself. No one complained when I was bashing Sony executives over their PR mismanagement. No backhanded comments were made when I posted news about a new 360 exclusive. Now, the sales numbers switch from heavily in the 360's favor to a slight PS3 advantage worldwide (which no one expected) and everyone tosses the verbal grenades. There's plenty of bias in these threads on all sides. Don't kid yourself. But that shouldn't detract from using information to carry on a discussion and provide points and counterpoints.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:49 AM   #391
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I'm not sure there's any room for a 4th console right now.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:18 AM   #392
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
No one was bitching about my bias earlier in the month when I posted totals showing that the 360 had a good October and the PS3 crapped all over itself. No one complained when I was bashing Sony executives over their PR mismanagement. No backhanded comments were made when I posted news about a new 360 exclusive.
Actually people were doing all those things all along for a year now. You hadn't noticed?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:22 AM   #393
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan
No one was bitching about my bias earlier in the month when I posted totals showing that the 360 had a good October and the PS3 crapped all over itself.

Quote:
First, the raw numbers (numbers are from VGChartz):

1. This month's 360 numbers demonstrate the impact that Halo 3 has on the North American market. Mass Effect is due this month for the 360. Should provide a good software sales boost for the 360.

2. The PS3 will likely overtake both the PS2 and Xbox 360 worldwide in the upcoming month as price cuts hit Japan and North America last week. Europe is also still reporting brisk sales of the 40 GB PS3 with low supply available at this point. The announcement that Singstar will now release in 2007 should help European sales as well (won't release in NA until 2008). Sony also received more good news this week as two third-party exclusives which were originally announced as delayed until 2008 (Haze and Unreal Tournament III), were both announced as being set for December 2007 releases in North America.

Where exactly where you talking about the PS3 crapping all over itself? Yes, you did say the 360 had a good month, but you still turned that into a positive for Sony with a lot of "likelies". THAT'S the point being made here, and you did it in post #1 of this thread!
Old 12-07-2007, 09:35 AM   #394
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Where exactly where you talking about the PS3 crapping all over itself? Yes, you did say the 360 had a good month, but you still turned that into a positive for Sony with a lot of "likelies". THAT'S the point being made here, and you did it in post #1 of this thread!

Read carefully.............

Quote:
.......when I posted totals showing that the 360 had a good October and the PS3 crapped all over itself.

I said I posted the totals, nothing more. I kept the points about the 360 and the PS3 in separate points. Point #1 of the post clearly stated that the 360 had a good October.

Regarding the rest of that post, that was obviously my opinion based on what the market held. Obviously, given the early November numbers I just posted, it would appear that my opinion concerning the worldwide November numbers was spot-on. Is it bias if I was right?

Since some other people said there was no way that the PS3 would win worldwide, is it bias fueling their posts since they were apparently wrong? No, it's opinion and it's a discussion. People have a right to say whatever they want without being attacked for their opinion, even if it does contain some level of bias on one side or the other.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:37 AM   #395
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Actually people were doing all those things all along for a year now. You hadn't noticed?

People were complaining that I was pointing out the weaknesses of the PS3 and its executive group? I'd love to see a link. I certainly haven't seen it, though I think it's blatently obvious why that is.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #396
Butter
Coordinator

Don't understand why MBBF is so hung up on worldwide numbers? We're in the US, who gives a rat's ass if this thing is kicking ass in Sweden (sorry Icy and others)? I want to know what is going on here. And he should too, considering he is in Kansas City, the city in the US with highest ratio of XBox 360's to PS3's (I'll find a link... or maybe I won't).
Old 12-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #397
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Don't understand why MBBF is so hung up on worldwide numbers? We're in the US, who gives a rat's ass if this thing is kicking ass in Sweden (sorry Icy and others)? I want to know what is going on here. And he should too, considering he is in Kansas City, the city in the US with highest ratio of XBox 360's to PS3's (I'll find a link... or maybe I won't).

He doesn't have an argument if he only focuses on the US.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #398
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Completely agree on both points.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:59 AM   #399
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Don't understand why MBBF is so hung up on worldwide numbers? We're in the US, who gives a rat's ass if this thing is kicking ass in Sweden (sorry Icy and others)? I want to know what is going on here.

Obviously, North America is a major player now in the console war. Those numbers are very important. With that said, game libraries and console features are still heavily influenced by what happens in other regions. The region-free aspect of the PS3 highlights that influence even more. MS, Sony and Nintendo all need more than just one region to make these consoles successful and profitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

American car companies thought that way for a long time as well. They nearly all went bankrupt until they finally figured out that a global economy actually existed. I'd also argue that Sony has learned that the hard way through the first year of the PS3's existence. They've had to learn that the economic world does not center on Japan. They're finally more active in the North American and PAL markets, which has resulted in much better results of late.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-07-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #400
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Lots of grumbling by developers over latest 'exclusive demo' move by Microsoft. MS has decided to only allow Gold users to access demos on XBL when they are initially released. After one week, Silver users can then access then access the demo. This obviously limits the number of users exposed to demos, which is something the developers/publishers are not happy about.

From Major Nelson:

Quote:
Just a reminder that if you have a Silver account, you won’t have access to free content on the the Marketplace (like demos) when they are first posted. That content will be available to Gold level exclusively for one week, after which Silver members will have access to the free content.

The Fall update has a special message (above) to reflect this as well. If you have a Silver account and you see a piece of content that has a red circle with a slash through it (like the ‘Ryan Industries Plasmids and Gene Tonics’ content above) you’ll have to wait until a week after the content is released to access it.

This is not done to annoy our Silver members—limited time exclusive access to content is just one of the many benefits of having a Gold Xbox Live account.