Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #351
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

I'm no Xbox 360 fanboy either. I was planning on buying both systems, and I might still. It depends upon how powerful the PS3 is and if the games are significantly better once they are actually out.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:36 PM   #352
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Thought I would add this since we spent a lot of time talking about how much money Sony is going to lose on the PS3 right away. From cnet:

Quote:
Japanese game software and console maker Nintendo said on Wednesday it is unlikely to lose much money on the launch of its new Wii video game console, in sharp contrast to rival Sony, which expects a hefty loss on the debut of its PlayStation 3.

Game machines manufacturers often lose money on initial console sales, but recoup those losses over the life of the product through software sales. Sony expects to post a 100 billion yen ($884 million) operating loss at its game division in the current fiscal year due to costs related to the PS3 launch.

"We can't promise we won't have even a one-yen loss, but we are not expecting an enormous loss," Nintendo President Satoru Iwata told a news conference. "It is a strange notion that a game console always leads to mounting losses in the beginning."

"We are working to make the Wii business a healthy one from the first year," he added.

Iwata added that even if the company meets its sales target of 6 million Wii consoles in the year to next March and 17 million units of Wii software, Nintendo expected a limited impact on its earnings from sales of Wii for the current business year.

Nintendo, known for games featuring characters such as Mario, Donkey Kong and Pokemon, also said it planned to boost monthly production of its strong-selling DS portable players by almost 38 percent after introducing the thinner, lighter DS Lite in the United States and Europe this month.

The Kyoto-based company will release the Wii, which features a motion-sensor-enabled controller, in the last quarter of 2006, going head-to-head with market leader Sony's upcoming PlayStation 3 console in the nearly $30 billion global video game market.

Unlike Microsoft's new Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3, which boast more power and high-definition graphics, Nintendo aims to win over customers with an affordably priced unit and ground-breaking games, hoping to attract a broader audience than the young males who usually make up the console gaming market.

Nintendo kept prices and exact launch dates under wraps but said it would announce them by September. The company has said the Wii would cost 25,000 yen or lower in Japan and $250 or lower in the United States.

PlayStation 3, which is scheduled to hit the U.S. market on Nov. 17, will be priced at as much as $599, while Xbox 360's premium version that is already in stores costs $399.

Masashi Morita, an analyst at Okasan Securities, said that the accounts will balance if Nintendo sets the price of the Wii console at 25,000 yen, as he expects. "If they succeed in selling in large numbers, in the long run, they will have profits," he added.

Shares in Nintendo closed down 1.55 percent at 18,460 yen. The Nikkei average ended down 1.88 percent.

A key feature of the Wii is its one-handed controller that looks like a television remote control and uses motion-detection sensors that allow players to control the game by wielding it like a sword, waving it like a conductor's baton, or swinging it like a baseball bat.

Helping lift the market
Nintendo has forecast 22 percent operating profit growth this business year, helped by good sales of its DS portable players.

The firm said in May that third-party research showed about 16 million of its dual-screen Nintendo DS machines had been sold worldwide, millions more than Sony's rival PlayStation Portable (PSP) handheld.

Strong demand for DS, and its innovative games such as "Nintendogs" and "Brain Training for Adults" in 2005, helped the entire Japanese game market post growth for the first time in five years.

Iwata said Nintendo will increase its production of the DS series--DS and DS Lite--to 2 million to 2.2 million units a month after summer from about 1.6 million as of May. The company plans to introduce DS Lite in the United States on June 11 and in Europe on June 23.

He also said it would delay the introduction of a Web browser for DS machines by one month to July and would launch a card with a digital television receiver around this autumn.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:02 PM   #353
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
You are simply uninformed. I own NBA2K6 on multiple systems and it isn't just the graphics that are an improvement on the 360. Many facets of the gameplay were fine tuned and are SUPERIOR to other systems.

Not to wade too deep into this, but if you're leaning on sports games and non-exclusives as "quality titles", that's not exactly a strong launch. And that's certainly not everything but PD Zero didn't exactly knock anyone's socks off and some of the other possible good games like Kameo came off as less than stellar.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-07-2006 at 11:03 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:15 AM   #354
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Dola -

I'm no Xbox 360 fanboy either. I was planning on buying both systems, and I might still. It depends upon how powerful the PS3 is and if the games are significantly better once they are actually out.

The latter will not be a significant issue until sometime in 2007, barring a miracle. The PS3 games on display were largely unimpressive at E3, with the possible exception of Assassin's Creed...and there were persistent rumors that it was actually running on a 360. Ubisoft later said PC, but it seems strange that they had the box it was running on covered up so nobody could see it.

Microsoft used PC debugs way back when they were showing off the pre-Xbox launch titles; not sure why that would have been a big deal. The only reason the 360 bit is significant is because, well, Assassin's Creed has been considered a PS3 exclusive up to this point. If it's running on 360 hardware, that may not be the case.

Heavenly Sword looked good, but it also looks like a God of War clone. Might be an apology to PS3 early adopters for having GoW2 be a PS2 title.

Sonic the Hedgehog looked good, but it's multiplatform. If you're buying a PS3, Sonic is worth picking up, but I wouldn't buy a PS3 for Sonic (any more than I would buy a 360 for Sonic, come to that). Wii? Different Sonic game, possibly a different story.

But of the presumptive PS3 launch games I played, there were exactly two I expect to add to my library regardless of whether or not we review the game (Assassin's Creed wasn't playable on the floor, so I don't think it's really fair to count that for or against the total I expect to buy). Xbox 360's Christmas library is going to be a much stronger beast...but PS3 will be in its first generation, just as Xbox 360 was a year ago.

It'll be probably Christmas '07 before you can fairly compare the platform-specific software available for the two.

Last edited by SackAttack : 06-08-2006 at 12:16 AM.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:27 AM   #355
Groundhog
Coordinator

Excluding the stupid name, the Wii is the only new console that has had me excited in god knows how long. Imagine Wii Punch-Out using that controller!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:01 AM   #356
oykib
College Starter

I'm dying for the Wii, as well.

I'd pre-pay now to reserve it. But Nintendo stubbornly refuses to set the price and date. They should capitalize now. They can't get any higher in terms of positive press and exposure.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:17 AM   #357
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, i want to reserve a Wii too.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:31 PM   #358
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

PSM's new magazine just came out with their review of ps3 at E3. These guys are usually giddy about how ps2 rules and ps3 will rule.

However in their report they are a little underwhelmed. They said that ps3 showed nothing at e3 that the 360 couldn't do. Their quote "If Sony plans to charge $200 more than it's direct competitor, we'd like to see a much bigger jump in graphics."

They do claim that final develoement kits are just now reaching developers so another month could make a difference. Also in that time they will get more hands on experience, so they may feel different in a month.

They also mention that Sony put up a slide about their free online services. Multiplayer online gaming was not on the list. No word on if it will still be included or charged for.

Still for these guys the most low energy report I have ever seen.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #359
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Holy shit.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32171

The Cell Processor fall down.. GO BOOM!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17547

Developer refutation on that point, which suggests that, again, theinquirer.net is great at agitation, not so great at getting things right.

On the earlier discussion about Sony, secondhand software, and "illegal," a couple of interesting articles worth looking at.

First, another denial that they're looking to restrict the used games market, either via copy-protection, EULA enforcement, or lobbying to change the law.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17283

Second, and this isn't directly relevant to us, but is worth looking at anyway, comment from UK lawyers that an attempt to restrict the sale of used games software might not pass legal muster under existing law anyway:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17608
Old 08-29-2006, 09:26 AM   #360
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Bump. Cnet just put up an interview with Sony Computer Entertainment of America President Kaz Hirai and he had some interesting things to say. I'm not going to copy over the whole interview as it is quite long but I will linky it.
A couple of quite points. The PS3 will launch Nov. 17th though they actually haven't started production yet . They still are sticking to the ten year lifespan plan for their consoles and don't appear to be too concered that they are going to be the most expensive console on the market. Also he mentioned that about 2 million units will be shipped to the US and shortages might occur.
So FOFC now that the PS3 release date is around the corner is anyone who swore of the PS3 coming back? Is anyone planning on pre-ordering 5 and then reselling 4 on ebay?
Old 08-29-2006, 09:43 AM   #361
wade moore
lolzcat

My gut feeling is that Sony is really going to regret their decisions here.

We'll see though. They continue to push me towards a 360.. although if EA keeps it up, maybe my PS2 will be the best solution anyways .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:16 AM   #362
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well, if you're a console sports game nut, the ps3 might not be a bad choice, we shall see how the rest of the EA lineup does this year on the 360.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:37 AM   #363
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Ubisoft later said PC, but it seems strange that they had the box it was running on covered up so nobody could see it.

I've heard that this was because they still couldn't fit all of the components into the box yet without it being absurdly large. This also raises an interesting question around cooling if they are really going to be packing the components in there.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:12 AM   #364
Kodos
Resident Alien

The 360 is going to make this an easy wait. I love it!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:12 AM   #365
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor

I noticed your name the other day in a urinal I was using. Nice name origin!
Old 08-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #366
MacroGuru
Coordinator

M$ is going to drop the pricing on both versions of the game by at least $100 around November, and they will release a larger HD as well as the HD DVD player for their unit to compete.....
Old 08-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #367
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru
M$ is going to drop the pricing on both versions of the game by at least $100 around November.....

I know that's a popular wish among the fans, but Microsoft denies it and I've seen articles where market experts say it doesn't make sense.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:22 AM   #368
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Well, if you're a console sports game nut, the ps3 might not be a bad choice, we shall see how the rest of the EA lineup does this year on the 360.

I don't think the PS3 EA sports games will be significantly better than the 360 games. I imagine they would use quite a bit of the same code. Of course, if I'm wrong and the PS3 sports games are great that would most likely cause me to break down and get a PS3.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:23 AM   #369
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

What would make you think EA would do anything different on the PS3? The only true exclusive would be MLB: The Show, which could be a system seller for the die hard baseball game player, but I don't see EA, 2K or any of the other biggies making wildly different versions of their game for the 360 vs. the PS3.

As for me, I'm happy with the 360. I have zero plans to grab a PS3 anywhere near launch. The likelihood is next spring, but I'm not even promising that. It's going to be up to Sony to sell me on the system now. So far, I'm still not impressed with the screenshots and games I've seen.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:28 AM   #370
Bee
Pro Starter

My approach will be similar to Troy. I'll probably pick up one at some point, but not until a game or two are out that I can't play somewhere else that I really want. I did the same with the Xbox 360.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:35 AM   #371
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I know that's a popular wish among the fans, but Microsoft denies it and I've seen articles where market experts say it doesn't make sense.

I know they have denied it externally, but my contacts from within have repeated this to me multiple times now.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:44 AM   #372
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru
I know they have denied it externally, but my contacts from within have repeated this to me multiple times now.
BTW, Macro I love having a board member with inside info on things like this. Please keep up the good work. What are your thoughts about Hirai's comment that DVD ROM will be inadequate for HD gaming?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #373
TroyF
Coordinator

hxxp://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.09/sony.html?pg=1&topic=sony&topic_set=
Old 08-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #374
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
What would make you think EA would do anything different on the PS3? The only true exclusive would be MLB: The Show, which could be a system seller for the die hard baseball game player, but I don't see EA, 2K or any of the other biggies making wildly different versions of their game for the 360 vs. the PS3.

As for me, I'm happy with the 360. I have zero plans to grab a PS3 anywhere near launch. The likelihood is next spring, but I'm not even promising that. It's going to be up to Sony to sell me on the system now. So far, I'm still not impressed with the screenshots and games I've seen.

To be honest, I think EA has a hard on for Microsoft. Maybe it's just me, but how can the two big titles, NCAA and Madden have so many f'n issues (mostly Madden as NCAA is just missing a bunch of features) on the 360??

We'll see what happens when Madden comes out for the ps3, but it just seems like they aren't taking the 360 seriously. I'll get back to you after I play NHL 07.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:19 PM   #375
spleen1015
Coordinator

I got a 360 at launch and played for about 2 weeks, then didn't touch it again until Oblivion came out.

Like some others, I think I am going to wait until there are a few games on it that I can't play any where else.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:30 PM   #376
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
To be honest, I think EA has a hard on for Microsoft. Maybe it's just me, but how can the two big titles, NCAA and Madden have so many f'n issues (mostly Madden as NCAA is just missing a bunch of features) on the 360??

We'll see what happens when Madden comes out for the ps3, but it just seems like they aren't taking the 360 seriously. I'll get back to you after I play NHL 07.

I don't see how you can group the 360 and the ps3 seperately.. I think what you're really need to phrase it as is "current gen" vs. "next gen"... The idea that they are coding a seperate game just for the ps3 is hard to believe...

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 08-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #377
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

We've had a ps2 since launch day and I have never played EA games on anything else. But I have read many posts saying that Madden (and other EA games) looked better and played as well or better on the original xbox.

Honest questions..

If EA had a hard-on for MS why wouldn't this have shown up in the ps2 xbox duels?

Doesn't EA puting out a substandard product reflect worse on them than on MS?

As for the issues within the 360 games I couldn't even begin to guess the problems since I have no programming knowledge other than teaching myslef
if-then and goto on a commodore 64

My uneducated guesses would be the complexity of the coding has increased dramatically with the new gen and the programmers that are coding are still learning what can be done?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:38 PM   #378
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I love me c64.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:40 PM   #379
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
The idea that they are coding a seperate game just for the ps3 is hard to believe...

They're doing it for the Wii.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #380
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I love me c64.

yeah,

Load "*",8,1

We've come a long way
Old 08-29-2006, 02:58 PM   #381
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed
yeah,

Load "*",8,1

We've come a long way

Yes we have!
Old 09-06-2006, 05:42 AM   #382
SackAttack
Head Coach

In Europe, at least, the thread title has proven true:

http://www.gamenikki.com/g3/inTheNews/Josh.php?id=142

The BBC is reporting a 50% reduction in expected PS3 units available in Japan and the US in 2006, while the International Herald Tribune is reporting a launch allocation cut of something like 75%.

400k units in the US on the 17th, 100k in Japan on the 11th, way down from the initial 2 million globally Sony trumpeted. They're still saying 2 million in US/Japan by year's end, and 6 million globally by the end of March, but I haven't seen any flying pigs lately.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:10 PM   #383
sabotai
General Manager

I was about to bump this thread (or one of the other "WTF is wrong with Sony!?" threads)

I just read Dubious Quality and Blog For The Sports Gamer (http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/ and http://sportsgamer.blogspot.com/ respectively). Sony has to be delusional at this point. What other explaination is there for the launch plans? XBox 360 had over a million units on release, and were constantly sold out.

Even if Sony can sell out a $600 console that still doesn't come with everything, how can they possibly gain a hold of the market share with only 400k units in the US when there will be over 8 million XBox 360s, easy, come Christmas time? Did someone forget to tell Sony that Final Fantasy 12 and God of War 2 are PS2 games? What launch titles are they even going to have?

And only 100k units in Japan? The 360 is dead in Japan, and they are going to counter a wide open market with 100k units!? Are they already just conceding the market in Japan to Nintendo?

Sony just makes me go

Last edited by sabotai : 09-06-2006 at 02:10 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:30 PM   #384
Airhog
Captain Obvious

It takes a lot of time to ramp up production. I assume that sony is doing all they can to produce as many ps3's by launch date. I am sure that if they could, thye would like to have 6 million units come x-mas. I think the low numbers in Japan, simply means they are more worried about the US market atm.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:37 PM   #385
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog View Post
It takes a lot of time to ramp up production.

Which means they should either have been realistic about launch expectations, or started well before THE END OF AUGUST.

That's not an excuse for this result, sorry.

Quote:
I assume that sony is doing all they can to produce as many ps3's by launch date.

Maybe they are, but they sure as hell aren't ready. I thought Microsoft forcing the issue by launching a new console after only four years was a mistake, but they might have forced Sony to overplay its hand here.

Quote:
I am sure that if they could, thye would like to have 6 million units come x-mas. I think the low numbers in Japan, simply means they are more worried about the US market atm.

They were never going to have six million by Christmas. The six million figure was always end of FY '07 in March. The low numbers in Japan, I think, reflects not that they're worried about the US market - what will 400k units accomplish that 250k or 100k couldn't? - but that they seriously don't see Nintendo as a competitor over there and they realize that Xbox 360 isn't competition there.

So they throw Japan a bone so as not to have to delay launches in TWO territories (never mind offending Japanese sensibilities by seeming to abandon the 'Japan gets new consoles first' tradition), but the reality is that the US is the only country really getting any semblance of a launch this year.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #386
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
The low numbers in Japan, I think, reflects not that they're worried about the US market - what will 400k units accomplish that 250k or 100k couldn't? - but that they seriously don't see Nintendo as a competitor over there and they realize that Xbox 360 isn't competition there.

Do you think that is a huge mistake or not?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #387
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Do you think that is a huge mistake or not?

Depends, I think.

Nintendo's direction has been pretty evident if you've followed the sales and software for the Nintendo DS. They're not looking to carve a chunk out of the 'traditional' market, although they expect a portion of that market to follow them no matter what.

They're looking to blaze new trails among folks who historically haven't been gamers. That untapped market that Nintendo is chasing, I don't think would ever have been really all that keen on a PS3 anyway, unless it was Dick and Jane buying it for Bobby and Charlie.

That's where Sony could wind up getting hurt, is Dick and Jane (or Akishino and Kiko, if you prefer) choosing to buy their kids an available Wii over an expensive (and largely unavailable) PS3.

I don't think it's a MAJOR mistake, for a couple of reasons.

1) Wii is cheap enough that it won't dissuade anybody from buying a PS3 or an Xbox 360. Sony will still ultimately get theirs in Japan. They might see a minor reduction in long-term market share, but nothing like a death knoll. What it WILL do, if it succeeds, is convince software publishers to throw their hat into the Wii ring, which blunts the one advantage Sony has had in the last two generations - the breadth and depth of their software library.

2) Microsoft is in no shape right now to capitalize on that weakness. If they had a ton of games that appealed to Japanese gamers ready to go this November that they could tout on a 360, they could seriously wound or sink the PlayStation behemoth. Because they're not in shape to pick up Sony's slack, and because Nintendo is really primarily aiming at another market, I see this as a misstep for Sony, one that will hurt their credibility in the US and Europe, but not one that will ultimately sink their gaming division.

Now. If you have 100k or 400k units in Japan/USA *and* you have the sort of hardware malfunction/overheating issues that plagued Microsoft last November, *and* you've got a dearth of exclusive software at launch, *and* you've got two competitors with something to offer...that could spell serious trouble. I think PS3 is already in serious short-term trouble out of the gate in the US, and I think Wii could end up stealing quite a chunk of PS3 market share in Europe, but I don't think they're in dire straits in Japan...yet.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:24 PM   #388
TroyF
Coordinator

Just ridiculous. The plans for charging for cables, hard drive mounting kits, even the damned plug that goes into the power brick. when they are charging for necessities like that, the price of the console is going to skyrocket from the six hundred dollar mark into the eight and nine hundred dollar range. (after another controller, a game or two, cables, etc.)

I'll pass.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:30 PM   #389
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Just ridiculous. The plans for charging for cables, hard drive mounting kits, even the damned plug that goes into the power brick. when they are charging for necessities like that, the price of the console is going to skyrocket from the six hundred dollar mark into the eight and nine hundred dollar range. (after another controller, a game or two, cables, etc.)

I'll pass.

Which also makes you wonder about the thread title, huh?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:13 PM   #390
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

I'll pass.

I missed this? Where'd you get this info from?

Quote:
Old 09-06-2006, 11:19 PM   #391
Kodos
Resident Alien

Does it seem to anyone else that Sony is trying to lose a race they had no way to lose in? All they had to do was not totally fuck up and a third consecutive console war would have been theirs.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:24 PM   #392
MikeVic
Head Coach

Despite all of this garbage, I still think the PS3 will do well. I can only say this from what I see around me... out of the friends that play consoles, only one has made up their mind on which one they're getting... and that's the PS3. He said he'll be getting it at launch, and that's just because the next Metal Gear game will come out on it.

Some people are just stuborn and will support a company/brand/product no matter what, and still get their money's worth. I'm the same with Nintendo.

I think there are enough Sony fanboys out there to make the PS3 a success. Although their lead will be a lot less, maybe even 2nd.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:41 PM   #393
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
out of the friends that play consoles, only one has made up their mind on which one they're getting... and that's the PS3. He said he'll be getting it at launch, and that's just because the next Metal Gear game will come out on it.

Unless GameSpot has their info wrong, Metal Gear Solid 4 isn't coming out until sometime in 2007 (they don't even give a month, it's just "2007")

IGN lists it release date at Q4 2007

EDIT: Seems like your friend could be able to wait out a price drop before Metal Gear Solid comes out...

Last edited by sabotai : 09-06-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:46 PM   #394
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sony went all "new Coke" on this generation. They had the top selling, superior item. And cause the opposition was gaining a bit of strength, they let the opposition basically dictate when Sony's new machine was going to come out and how it was going to work.

Instead of utilizing the PS2 architecture in new ways, they came out with new shit. Stuff a PS2Computer, maybe a new lower priced PSX unit, car units, portable units.....stuff like that could have kept them rolling for a couple more years till they could have it come out at a decent price.

Instead it's some cocked up bs machine that will be practically impossible to find, and be exceptionally expensive.

Last edited by stevew : 09-07-2006 at 12:16 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:08 AM   #395
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:

I'll pass.

Where are you getting this info from? From what I read, when you add in a HD-DVD drive for a 360 (making it "equal" with the PS3 Blu-Ray), the prices for the items come out just about even ... although wireless internet connectivity comes built in with the PS3 at no cost (as opposed to the ridiculous $50 price tag for XBox Live Gold).

When you look at things from a even-handed perspective, the 360's only advantage is that it came out earlier, and it's a good advantage. It just seems like there's quite a bit of PS3 bashing from the 360 fans on here.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:14 AM   #396
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
Where are you getting this info from? From what I read, when you add in a HD-DVD drive for a 360 (making it "equal" with the PS3 Blu-Ray), the prices for the items come out just about even ... although wireless internet connectivity comes built in with the PS3 at no cost (as opposed to the ridiculous $50 price tag for XBox Live Gold).

When you look at things from a even-handed perspective, the 360's only advantage is that it came out earlier, and it's a good advantage. It just seems like there's quite a bit of PS3 bashing from the 360 fans on here.

Umm.. The high-end 360 here - http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Console-2...8&s=videogames is $399.99. I don't know what this HD-DVD drive would cost, but firs toff I could care less about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray on my console. So, there most certainly IS a price difference. It's at least $200, and that's if M$ doesn't reduce the cost of their console.

And, love my PS2 and do not own a M$ console of any generation.

Quote:
Old 09-07-2006, 12:23 AM   #397
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Umm.. The high-end 360 here - http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Console-2...8&s=videogames is $399.99. I don't know what this HD-DVD drive would cost, but firs toff I could care less about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray on my console. So, there most certainly IS a price difference. It's at least $200, and that's if M$ doesn't reduce the cost of their console.

And, love my PS2 and do not own a M$ console of any generation.

HD-DVD drive, according to what I read (and I don't remember where I read it, so I could be wrong) will be $200 bucks.

So -- and we're talking about a comparison between the packages, roughly equal bang for the buck:

PS3 -- Blu-Ray Drive, 60G HD, wireless Net out of box for free -- $600
360 -- DVD-HD Drive, 30G HD, Internet "capable" with fee -- $600

Yes, it may be optional, but in order to truly compare features, you have to include the DVDHD drive. Personally, I care for the Blu-Ray not because of the movies, but because of the space it has for games. A game being produced on a Blu-Ray disk will have FAR more space for content than any 360 game. This will make the difference -- not now, but 7 months from release when the first Blu-Ray games come out, and there won't be a comparable port for the 360 due to space limitations.

I just think people are jumping the gun here. There are far too many M$ fans on this board, and they don't figure in the popularity of the Sony systems.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 09-07-2006 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:29 AM   #398
wade moore
lolzcat

You can't do the comparison like that. Because one of the problems I have with Sony is that they are forcing this $200 new technology on me that I don't want. Part of what could push me to M$ is the fact that they give me the option of the $200 cheaper one without the yet to be proven (or standardized) technology.

I think your prediction about space limitations is a bit naive. They will get it on the 360, even if it means multiple disks.

Quote:
Old 09-07-2006, 12:33 AM   #399
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
You can't do the comparison like that. Because one of the problems I have with Sony is that they are forcing this $200 new technology on me that I don't want. Part of what could push me to M$ is the fact that they give me the option of the $200 cheaper one without the yet to be proven (or standardized) technology.

I think your prediction about space limitations is a bit naive. They will get it on the 360, even if it means multiple disks.

Did you feel the same way when the PS2 had DVD technology? This is much the same creature. Would you rather have paid 300 for the PS2 and an extra 200 for the DVD drive, or get the whole thing in one package and not have to upgrade?

Old 09-07-2006, 12:53 AM   #400
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
Did you feel the same way when the PS2 had DVD technology? This is much the same creature.

Not really. When the PS2 came out, there were lots of games that were being released on multiple CDs for the PC and PS. There was a large demand for a media that could hold a lot of content on one disk. That's not the case here. I have not seen a single game for any system, including the PC, that needed more than what one DVD provides. And I'd wager that the vast majority of games out there don't even come close to reaching the space limitations of a DVD. There's just no demand for a larger media right now, nor will there be for quite some time. I'm sure the developers/publishers of Blu-Ray games for the PS3 will fill it with "something", but I doubt it will be anything meaningful or that will enhance the gaming experience.

Last edited by sabotai : 09-07-2006 at 12:54 AM.