Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-14-2008, 12:12 AM   #351
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

a US version of 4 has not been announced, but it is probably just a formality. It is a day 1 purchase for me, as the only American release I haven't played. The cell phone game is a direct sequel to 4, not a remake of the original.

I was wondering if you got a copy of FF4 in english, and I was excited for a moment, until I actually started reading your blog. Whoops. Nice idea, btw.

I actually bought my mom a DS because she pretty much wore her phone out playing Tetris. So I figured I'd get her something designed for games and a few puzzle games to go with it. Then I fiddled around with it at her house and fell in love. Up to that point I hadn't wanted one. Of course this happened right before everyone on Earth bought a DS and it took me until last week to actually find a non-pink one.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:19 AM   #352
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
Is there one Pokemon game better than the others to introduce me to the game? I've never played one. Also, any other RPGs for the system would be good.

As I posted above, this is the order I would tackle them in:
"However, since FR/LG are remakes of RBY, they're a great place to start. Then continue with RSE (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald) which feel more like an expansion pack. Then go with DP (Diamond/Pearl) which just explodes the Pokemon universe from very small to gigantic with all the new stuff in them."

As for RPGs, the library for the DS is still lacking a bit. I think Mario and Luigi: PiT is the only true RPG for the system that's really good. There's a FF XII spinoff but I think it's a more of a tactics type game. A few others like Children of Mana, various Dragon Quest games, the Harvest Moon RPG, Lost Magic, and Magical Starsign that might be worth a look but don't have the pedigree of the ones above.

The GBA library has quite a few more really good RPGs. The biggest thing I would note is to grab Mario and Luigi:SS before playing Partners in Time for the DS. It's not that it's that big of a deal, one way or the other, but they kindof are part of the same series.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:00 AM   #353
MJ4H
Coordinator

We picked up My Spanish Coach last week and are learning Spanish faster via that game than we ever did in school.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:34 AM   #354
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
You know, I just can't explain it. I've tried and I just can't. It's a laid back game like Harvest Moon where there really is no goal except to customize your little corner of the world the way you like it by doing little chores and errands and then show it off to others online. Which sounds really boring but it has some sort of mezmerizing and addicting quality that I just can't explain.

SI

Heh, since I've posted that I picked up Animal Crossing and I'm enjoying it. Now that I have my wifi working I'd like to cross-polinate.

EDIT: Oops, for some reason I mistakenly thought SI had posted this recently. That's what happens when you have 2 tabs with the same thread open in Firefox. D'oh!

Last edited by Bonegavel : 01-14-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #355
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
As I posted above, this is the order I would tackle them in:
"However, since FR/LG are remakes of RBY, they're a great place to start. Then continue with RSE (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald) which feel more like an expansion pack. Then go with DP (Diamond/Pearl) which just explodes the Pokemon universe from very small to gigantic with all the new stuff in them."

As for RPGs, the library for the DS is still lacking a bit. I think Mario and Luigi: PiT is the only true RPG for the system that's really good. There's a FF XII spinoff but I think it's a more of a tactics type game. A few others like Children of Mana, various Dragon Quest games, the Harvest Moon RPG, Lost Magic, and Magical Starsign that might be worth a look but don't have the pedigree of the ones above.

The GBA library has quite a few more really good RPGs. The biggest thing I would note is to grab Mario and Luigi:SS before playing Partners in Time for the DS. It's not that it's that big of a deal, one way or the other, but they kindof are part of the same series.

SI

Yup, I'd go:

FireRed or LeafGreen
Emerald (instead of Ruby/Sapphire)
Diamond or Pearl

You could add the Gamecube games Pokemon Colosseum or Pokemon XD anytime after FireRed/LeafGreen if you want a different flavor of Pokemon gaming.

I'd skip Ruby/Sapphire and go straight for Emerald. Emerald is basically a souped up version of Ruby/Sapphire with much more content after you "beat" the game.

As for RPG's, there are a couple others worth mentioning, I think. Etrian Odyssey is a solid classic RPG with tons of depth. It's a bit old school, in that you use the stylus to draw your own maps, but there's a lot of gaming goodness in this one. Also, I've been playing Orcs & Elves in the past couple of weeks. It's relatively short, one-dimensional, and quite limited on the graphics end, but the gameplay is entertaining enough, and it's cheap: $20.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 01-14-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #356
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Perhaps it's not a true RPG but Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker is a fun game, but yeah it's said to be similar to Pokemon and if you've already got that maybe another genre would be preferable.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #357
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Quote:
The biggest thing I would note is to grab Mario and Luigi:SS

I played this and liked it, so I'll give the sequel a shot for sure. I didn't know know there was one.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:24 PM   #358
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I played this and liked it, so I'll give the sequel a shot for sure. I didn't know know there was one.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually liked M&L: PiT until the very end, and then I hated it. The final boss was just absurd, so much so I spent so much time trying to figure out the right technique to use to beat her, I ended up killing my battery and having it conk out before I finished beating her. I never went back. I think I complained about it on some thread here, about games that are great until the very end. Count me in the camp that considers Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA game) in that group, too.

I HATED HATED HATED Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. HATED it. I think I'd have loved it if I could use the d-pad and the buttons but the forced stylus use was gimmicky at best and ridiculously stupid 99% of the time, especially considering that it hurts for me to grasp pen-like-objects.

I'd 2nd the recommendation for Etrian Odyssey, though I can't bring myself to play it anymore. It was the game I was playing when my grandmother went into the hospital, I was playing it when I got the call that she'd passed, and I was playing it while traveling to/from the funeral, so it's just got some negative emotions for me. Maybe one day I'll go back to it.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #359
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I think Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is the game that came with my daughters DS. She likes it I guess, but the other night got my wife playing it with her/for her. My daughter is odd like that, being the only person I have known who gets as much joy out of watching someone else play a video game as much as playing it herself.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #360
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz View Post
Yup, I'd go:

FireRed or LeafGreen
Emerald (instead of Ruby/Sapphire)
Diamond or Pearl

You could add the Gamecube games Pokemon Colosseum or Pokemon XD anytime after FireRed/LeafGreen if you want a different flavor of Pokemon gaming.

I'd skip Ruby/Sapphire and go straight for Emerald. Emerald is basically a souped up version of Ruby/Sapphire with much more content after you "beat" the game.

Seems that Ruby/Sapphire came out first. Then Fire Red/Leaf Green and then Emerald. With Emerald being Ruby/Sapphire combo's where both Team magma and aqua are bad and there is more stuff tossed in.

Odd however that FR/LG are $19 and R/S/E are $35. I can see Emerald being $35 but the others too? I think the FR/LG only have like ~180 pokemon while the R/S/E have 380ish?

Regardless, I'm having a blast with all of them. I go between Sapphire/FR/LG/Diamond/Pearl.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #361
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
Seems that Ruby/Sapphire came out first. Then Fire Red/Leaf Green and then Emerald. With Emerald being Ruby/Sapphire combo's where both Team magma and aqua are bad and there is more stuff tossed in.

Odd however that FR/LG are $19 and R/S/E are $35. I can see Emerald being $35 but the others too? I think the FR/LG only have like ~180 pokemon while the R/S/E have 380ish?

Regardless, I'm having a blast with all of them. I go between Sapphire/FR/LG/Diamond/Pearl.

FireRed and LeafGreen are updated remakes of the original Red and Green versions, which came before Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. But yes, release-wise, FireRed and LeafGreen came after Ruby/Sapphire.

After you finish the main FireRed/Leaf Green game, you can unlock a much larger Pokedex and trade with Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire/Colosseum. Not sure of the exact number, but it might be the same as Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:01 AM   #362
Terps
College Prospect

I've been looking to get a DS for about a week now, and can't find one anywhere. I'd even buy a pink one at this point, but no one has those either.

Last edited by Terps : 01-17-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:18 AM   #363
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps View Post
I've been looking to get a DS for about a week now, and can't find one anywhere. I'd even buy a pink one at this point, but no one has those either.

Yeah, we've been looking for one for my daughter but it's the same thing here.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #364
Terps
College Prospect

I found a GameCrazy about 10 miles away that has them, but only the pink one. NewEgg.com has the white ones in stock also.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:47 PM   #365
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

You guys aren't alone. Took me a month to find one. Nintendo sold 4 million in November and December.

Anyway, I went ahead and got Pokemon Diamond. It was the only one that particular store had. I have three questions:

1. Am I missing anything big by not playing the earlier GBA versions?

2. Should I be trying to cultivate a strong 6 Pokemon team or is my usual RPG style (focus on one really good guy) going to work?

3. I chose the fire monkey to start and I kind of like him, aesthetically. He's miles better than the lump dog and the bird I keep fighting. Do the early Pokemon stay legitimate through the endgame or will I be dumping this bastard at some point?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I've never so much as seen a Pokemon game before and have no idea how the game works.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:14 AM   #366
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You guys aren't alone. Took me a month to find one. Nintendo sold 4 million in November and December.

Anyway, I went ahead and got Pokemon Diamond. It was the only one that particular store had. I have three questions:

1. Am I missing anything big by not playing the earlier GBA versions?

2. Should I be trying to cultivate a strong 6 Pokemon team or is my usual RPG style (focus on one really good guy) going to work?

3. I chose the fire monkey to start and I kind of like him, aesthetically. He's miles better than the lump dog and the bird I keep fighting. Do the early Pokemon stay legitimate through the endgame or will I be dumping this bastard at some point?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I've never so much as seen a Pokemon game before and have no idea how the game works.

1. The only big thing is that if you are a completist and want to try and "catch them all", then starting with the best, most polished game in the system and working backwards can be tough.

2. You can really just lean on one or two really strong Pokemon if that's the way you want to play it. There are a couple of good things about doing that such as that it will be easier to win and you can just have a couple of silly TM Pokemon where you dump the weaker moves that you need to use on the map (Strength, Flash, etc) since only Surf is actually a good move.

The down side is that if you just have one, you're going to run into that water Pokemon gym, for instance, where fire monkey isn't going to be worth much so you'd better have something in your back pocket to deal with situations like that. This is why getting a pair of complementary Pokemon (like, say, a fire and water type that are your strong ones) can do the job. Plus, if you just have one strong one, you'll have some problems in 2v2 battles.

The only real downside I can see with 2 strong complimentary battlers will come in when you get to the Elite Four but that's not for quite a while- they're well balanced and you're really going to have to buff up your strong ones to face them.

3. The starters are some of the strongest Pokemon you can get in the game, statistically. You'll be good with basing a team around one of them.

SI

Old 01-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #367
Bonegavel

In Pearl I selected Piplup and he worked well. I never really cultivated a strong fire type but I did train a Starly (which was the first, if not one of the very first, pokemon I captured) and that Pokemon almost singlehandedly took down the final 4 for me.

Keep the "what beats what" cheat sheet on you at all times and you will be grateful. I never did but if I was starting over, I would definitely do that.

I also went through the pain of training a Magikarp to 20 to get a gyarados. Love my gyarados. Yes, that gave me 2 water types, but gyarados can take a licking and keep on ticking.

No matter how hard I tried to train a Ponyta, I just couldn't get into it and figured I could do without a fire-type. Also, Pikachu is my favorite Pokemon, but they aren't very powerful (at least up-and-through their 20s).

I've been spending a lot of time lately on Sapphire lately.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #368
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

My son plowed through FireRed with a couple of strong Pokemon. I went through with about eight Pokemon of various types all hovering around the same level. The game is generally forgiving with regards to strategy and team-building, so I'd say to have fun with it and focus on doing things that you like with it.

I think your approach to raising Pokemon will vary with how you want to play the game. If you want to power through the game, I'd think it would be faster to have one or two Pokemon at uber levels pushing you through the content and the badges. Toward the end, you could powerlevel another four Pokemon for the final battle.

I like to take my time, wander around, hunt for a lot of different Pokemon, and build up a solid team from those that interest me. I generally cycle through eight or so Pokemon. But then I'll catch a Pokemon and want to see it evolve, so I'll concentrate on developing that one for a while. I'm pretty random with these things.

For what it's worth, I highly recommend a guide for the game, or at least spending some time looking around the net for some general information. There is easily 80+ hours of content in the game. I'm over the 120-hour mark with LeafGreen over the past six months (about ten percent of that is not actively playing though). The guide was especially helpful for me because I found a lot of information that I wouldn't have looked for on the internet because I didn't know it existed. There is a ton of depth to the game that isn't apparent unless someone points it out.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #369
samifan24
Pro Starter

What games are you playing these days? I now own Mario Kart (it seems too easy...the computer barely puts up a fight and I win consistently and by large margins), Hotel Dusk (I stopped playing for a month out of frustration but picked it back up this week) and Brain Age (I play at least five times a week). I've been thinking about Zelda or Animal World or Rune Factory but I'm not sure. I'm pretty excited for Professor Layton and the Curious Village and the new Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles, both of which come out in a few weeks.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #370
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm semi-looking for a new game too. I don't always beat the games I own, just play them until I get bored or frustrated with them. Right now I'm trying to get all the gold coins in New Super Mario Bros. Before that I played Rune Factory daily for a month or so, and then stopped because I've played Harvest Moon games for awhile already and got bored of Rune Factory after so much play with it. It was a great time killer though.

I've also tried those online multiplayer boss runs in the latest Castlevania. Those were fun. But now I need something new.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #371
MJ4H
Coordinator

Playing the hell out of Elite Beat Agents.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:00 PM   #372
hukarez
College Starter

On my way up to Bella Terra to see Rambo over the weekend, I ended up playing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney all over again... I'll probably get around to the sequel, and then the latest Trials & Tribulations one.

However, I ran into a copy of Final Fantasy XII - Revenant Wings used. Has anyone else here played this?
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #373
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
What games are you playing these days? I now own Mario Kart (it seems too easy...the computer barely puts up a fight and I win consistently and by large margins), Hotel Dusk (I stopped playing for a month out of frustration but picked it back up this week) and Brain Age (I play at least five times a week). I've been thinking about Zelda or Animal World or Rune Factory but I'm not sure. I'm pretty excited for Professor Layton and the Curious Village and the new Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles, both of which come out in a few weeks.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin hasn't left my DS since I got it last week. If you like turn based strategy games you might want to check that one out.

Before last week the answer would have been Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker and Worms Open Warfare 2.

As for upcoming games Civilization Revoultions, Super Dodgeball Brawlers, and maybe Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword are ones I'm looking forward to but they're a few months away and otherwise the DS release schedule looks kinda bleak.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #374
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

After seeing how much fun my wife and I are having with our Wii, I'm thinking about getting a DS to surprise her for Valentine's day. Any essential accessories?

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-29-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #375
MJ4H
Coordinator

Screen protectors for the bottom screen are essential; something to hold your games in is good if you have a lot of games. A carrying case is nice but not essential.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #376
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

What I'm playing right now: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime in the DS slot and FF VI in the GBA slot.

What I'd avoid like the plague: Zelda Phantom Hourglass

My favorite way to carry my games: http://www.penguinunited.com/product...ivp0jvr8799tu1

Other games I'd recommend:
Phoenix Wright series (I have all 3 and have beaten the first 2)
Mario Kart
New SMB

Other games in my "to play" stack:
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (I picked this up now because I know it'll be impossible to find later, but it's not on my radar yet)
Elite Beat Agents
Touch Detective 1 and 2
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
and eventually, Contact, Luminous Arc, and the Castlevania games

Games that get picked up again and again to come back to:
Pokemon Diamond
NYT Crosswords
Mario Kart
New SMB

Game I may actually finish one day, once I get over the negative association I have with it:
Etrian Odyssey

My favorite way to carry my DS Lite: use my PSP sleeve from my first generation (PSP "fat"??) PSP, like this: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/06/21/ds...-gamings-oreo/

/tk
Old 01-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #377
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Screen protectors for the bottom screen are essential; something to hold your games in is good if you have a lot of games. A carrying case is nice but not essential.

+1 for the screen protector.

/tk
Old 01-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #378
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I have never had the need for screen protectors, oddly enough

SI

Old 01-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #379
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin hasn't left my DS since I got it last week. If you like turn based strategy games you might want to check that one out.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm actually playing through Advance Wars 2 for the GBA off of an old cartridge my brother left around the house. I'm having fun and am considering Days of Ruin, mostly for the multiplayer. Have you tried multiplayer? Does it work as seamlessly on WiFi as, say, Mario Kart? Do most games for that matter?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 PM   #380
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I'm actually playing through Advance Wars 2 for the GBA off of an old cartridge my brother left around the house. I'm having fun and am considering Days of Ruin, mostly for the multiplayer. Have you tried multiplayer? Does it work as seamlessly on WiFi as, say, Mario Kart? Do most games for that matter?

I haven't tried the online yet. I want to get a feel for some of the new units before doing that plus I'm having a lot of fun with the campaign.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:45 PM   #381
Terps
College Prospect

Finally got one last week for my birthday. Right now, I'm playing:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Trauma Center: Under The Knife
Castlevania: Portrait Of Ruin
Cooking Mama (Had to get this since I'm a chef, haha.)
Old 01-30-2008, 06:09 AM   #382
Bonegavel

Still playing the hell outta the Pokemons: FireRed/LeafGreen/Sapphire/Emerald/Diamond/Pearl.

When the Pocket Monsters aren't in my DS I can be found playing Chessmaster and even a little Poker. Chessmaster is good while the poker is slightly annoying due to its inability to display the whole table at once and it has to scroll right and left. Ick. And no ability to speed up play. Double ick. Hard to read text. But, it is poker.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:41 AM   #383
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Finally got one last week for my birthday. Right now, I'm playing:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Trauma Center: Under The Knife
Castlevania: Portrait Of Ruin
Cooking Mama (Had to get this since I'm a chef, haha.)

I got the DS Lite right when it came out, and two of the first three games I bought were Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center. Really good games, although I still have to beat them.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #384
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I want to try the Phoenix Wright series but can never find the first game anywhere, everyone says it's much better to play them in order. One of these days I'll have to suck it up and go the ebay route I suppose.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #385
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I have yet to play Trauma Center. I should check those out. Cooking Mama 2 just isn't doing much for me- it's a pure stylus game that I'm not that excited about.

SI

Old 02-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #386
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:
I want to try the Phoenix Wright series but can never find the first game anywhere, everyone says it's much better to play them in order. One of these days I'll have to suck it up and go the ebay route I suppose.

When I walked into GameStop the other day they had 6 copies of the first one, the one I can't find is the second one. I want to beat the first 3 before I get the new one though, Apollo Justice.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:31 AM   #387
Bonegavel

Maybe this question needs another thread, but the DS is starting to get a bit old. Anyone have any info on the DS2?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #388
Terps
College Prospect

The DS is still selling like crazy, I doubt there will be an announcement of new one for a while.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #389
Bonegavel

Quote:
The DS is still selling like crazy, I doubt there will be an announcement of new one for a while.

Agreed. And it seems that Nintendo has really learned some lessons from the past and is playing it very conservatively right now. They understand that hot seller today doesn't mean hot seller tomorrow.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #390
samifan24
Pro Starter

I picked up a used copy of Phantom Hourglass today. I'm a little worried because terpkristin disliked it so much but I've heard good things about it and I enjoyed one of the original Zelda games I had for Game Boy.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #391
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Haven't played multiplayer for the Advance Wars games yet, so I can't comment on that.

If you're liking AW2, I'd highly recommend picking up AW: Dual Strike, the first DS-only version of the series. They did a really good job of taking advantage of the 2nd screen and adding to the already established gameplay. I haven't started playing AW: Days of Ruin yet, but most reports are saying that while it's good, it's a slight step down from Dual Strike.

Also, you might want to pick up the first GBA Advance Wars cartridge - I've had pretty good luck finding out of date old GBA games through Amazon.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #392
hukarez
College Starter

Question

Quote:

I'm halfway through the second one right now - thoroughly enjoyed the first, and am immensely curious about Apollo Justice...

Some others on the GameFAQs boards have mentioned that if you play at least the 2nd and 3rd, you'll be well off though.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #393
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I picked up a used copy of Phantom Hourglass today. I'm a little worried because terpkristin disliked it so much but I've heard good things about it and I enjoyed one of the original Zelda games I had for Game Boy.

Well, to be fair, 80% of the reason I really loathed it was the stylus control. If you can get over that, you'll probably be alright with it. I couldn't. It was awkward for me, fairly unresponsive, and since my hand hurts when gripping things like pens (or stylii), it was a super no-go.

The other 20% of my annoyance with it was that you have to go back through this one "dungeon" (to steal a term from previous Zelda games) after you beat each "level/stage." When you go through the SAME dungeon a bunch of times, it feels like pointless "game-length extension" crap, completely unnecessary and annoying.

Excepting Minish Cap (which I only hated at the end, it was a game on the GBA), I've loved every other Zelda I've played, way back to the original Zelda on the NES, and I still consider Link to the Past to be one of the best-ever Zelda games.

/tk
Old 02-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #394
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
Zero Punctuation's review of Phantom Hourglass expands upon my issues with the game. Though it sounds like Yahtzee didn't have as many issues with the stylus control as I did, he still got sick of it, for more or less the same reasons. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...ntom-Hourglass

/tk
Old 02-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #395
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Are these as hard to find as the Wii? I'm looking online at Gamestop, Bestbuy, etc as I've decided to pull the trigger and everywhere seems to be sold out.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #396
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Are these as hard to find as the Wii? I'm looking online at Gamestop, Bestbuy, etc as I've decided to pull the trigger and everywhere seems to be sold out.

They seem to be, at least lately. You might have better luck looking to buy it online...that's how I ended up getting my Wii, anyway. Also, Circuit City is apparently having some sort of sale for 20% most DS games, so I was visiting circuitcity.com and saw that the new cobalt blue and black DS Lite is supposed to be "available 2/10" so it might be worth trying to go to a store then (or try online) then....earlier in the day, rather than later.

I don't know how long this game sale lasts, but I may be tempted to buy a few...

/tk
Old 02-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #397
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I was out at Best Buy today looking for Professor Layton and noticed that the one near me in Dulles, VA had the new cobalt/onyx DS Lite's in stock. If you're still looking for one, I'd recommend checking out local retailers today.

I did end up picking up Professor Layton. I can't wait to jump into this one, and I'll let y'all know what I think...

/tk
Old 02-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #398
MJ4H
Coordinator

Oh is that out already? My wife is looking forward to that one. Do let us know on that one.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #399
samifan24
Pro Starter

I picked up Professor Layton & the Curious Village tonight and am really enjoying it. So far I've played through about 10 of the 130+ puzzles in the game. It's a good mix of logic puzzles, diagram puzzles, math puzzles and more. The game is an adventure game which "moves you along" by answer puzzles. So far in the early portions of the game the animation, voice acting and story are very engaging and the puzzles are mixed and fun. You can also download a new puzzle each week through Nintendo WiFi. I tried that tonight and was pleased to find that they already had a new puzzle for me to download. Apparently the production company will make a new puzzle available each week for a year. I'd highly recommend this game for any fans of the myriad puzzle games available for the DS.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #400
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Oh is that out already? My wife is looking forward to that one. Do let us know on that one.

I'm enjoying it so far. I haven't played any today, but yesterday I played for 1 hour, 40 minutes. I have 26 puzzles found (25 solved, one of the ones I found is an uber high-level one I'm going to need to come back to). I'm into Chapter 3 now.

The puzzles aren't as challenging as I thought they'd be (and some are just rather stupid), but it's still a good bit of fun. I actually took my DS to work today with Professor Layton on the chance that I could play it if my computer took a long time processing what I was doing....didn't end up using it, but it's been awhile since I've found a game worth doing that with.

/tk