Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2005, 08:16 PM   #351
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I think the Marlins did well in the Pierre deal. He's over-rated - not a great base-stealer given his mediocre success rate, and he's been inconsistent with his OBP. Of his 5 full seasons, 2 of them have been bad and the other 3 OK. As a leadoff hitter, those 3 OK seasons have been above average, but that's all he is - a table setter. If he's not leading off an inning, he's not helping you as much.

If he's hitting for a plus-.300 average, his OBP will put him in the above-average leadoff-hitter realm, but he's never going to give you any power and his base-stealing isn't helping you much given his mediocre success rate. Add to that his fielding isn't considered to be that good and basically he's a guy that helps you only if you have a leadoff hitter need, and then only if he's hitting above .300 or so.

On the flip side, the Marlins are getting some good pitching prospects. Between the 3 of those guys (with Pinto looking the best in terms of performance), they ought to get at least one average to above-average contributor.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:44 PM   #352
oykib
College Starter

Am I crazy to think that the Yanks should help LA save face by giving 'em Aaron Small and/or a couple of third-tier prospects for Milton Bradley?

If he produced .275/.360/.450 I'd be more than happy. And I think he's got two arbitration years left. Personally, I think he'd outperform those numbers. You'd just have to have enough depth to cover up for the month of injury time he's gonna have, and I think the Yanks have that depth.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:23 PM   #353
vtbub
College Starter

Overbay to Toronto.

http://www.smart-guys-sports.com/?p=192

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:24 PM   #354
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

whoa. toronto is certainly loading up and looking to make a run at it. looks like pretty good timing too i'd say.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:30 PM   #355
ShaefIllini
Mascot

soriano to washington

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2251887
ShaefIllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:45 PM   #356
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaefIllini
Yuck. I wonder if Texas is going to trade Mench to the Cubs too. Nationals overpaid, huge.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:52 PM   #357
ShaefIllini
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
Yuck. I wonder if Texas is going to trade Mench to the Cubs too. Nationals overpaid, huge.

I was thinking that this could be a move which eventually ends up with Wilkerson going to the Cubs. I know they were real hot on him before the Pierre move.
ShaefIllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:59 PM   #358
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
I was thinking that this could be a move which eventually ends up with Wilkerson going to the Cubs. I know they were real hot on him before the Pierre move.
Patterson for Wilkerson? I'll help him pack.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:07 PM   #359
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Damn. I was hoping the M's could somehow work out a deal for Wilkerson.

Maybe the Rangers would be stupid enough to take Joel Pineiro or Gil Meche and someone like Mike Morse for him?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:08 PM   #360
vtbub
College Starter

Fox has a different deal for Overbay.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5148464

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:10 PM   #361
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Dola - M's re-sign Jamie Moyer for $5 to $5.5M (depending on the source you believe) 1-year deal plus incentives.

He was outstanding at home and awful on the road last year, but prior to that showed no major difference in his home/road splits. Not a bad deal considering the market. We'll see if the M's try to adjust the rotation to get Moyer as many home starts as possible.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:24 AM   #362
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

so i was thinking about this pierre trade a little more, and it seems one major drawback is sub-par defense. however, i think moving from the black hole that is cf in florida to wrigley can only help. he has good range and there is much less ground to cover. so i think that argument will be negated.

also, i think the notoriously slow infield grass may help pierre beat out a few more groundballs/bunts as well. i'm happy they got him, but i do fear they overpaid with some pretty good prospects.. however, after some thought it may not be as bad as i thought for the above reasons.. any thoughts?

-zums
zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:28 AM   #363
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
The Astros are leaning toward not offering Roger Clemens arbitration before Wednesday's deadline, something that would make him ineligible to pitch for the team before May 1.
It wouldn't necessarily end his tenure in Houston. In fact, having Clemens debut in May might be best for both sides. If the Astros are willing to immediately begin spending the $18 million Clemens was due, a Bobby Abreu trade would become a greater possibility. A Manny Ramirez deal would be a real long shot, but even that would make some sense. Dec. 7 - 1:23 am et

He's going to the Rangers.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:29 AM   #364
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

he has no arm. but he was always good range-wise patrolling CF for me in MVP 2005.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:31 AM   #365
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Well, on one hand..it's a GREAT trade for the Nats, as Soriano gives them a legitimate threat on the basepaths and at the plate. And that lineup was anemic last year. The deal was done, because the owners are trying to sweeten the pot for whoever buys the team. That's it and nothing else.

Wilkerson is my favourite major leaguer. A great player, plays all the positions and is a team guy. I hate that the fact that they had to deal him. But it's a lopsided trade, since Soriano is obviously the better player and the Rangers got him as their MARQUEE PLAYER from Alex Rodriguez. So, when you consider that they essentially traded A-Rod for Brad Wilkerson and a spare part...that's a pretty shitty deal, even if they are saving some payroll.

Each MLB team is going to make about $30 million from the sale of the Nats according to a recent report I heard. So, you have to figure that, MLB was like "deal him to the Nats" because not only did they get a reliable outfielder in return, but, they're saving money (and remember, this is the team that signed Chan Ho Park, they can use the cash) and I think that, Roger Clemens will sign with the Rangers this year. He's not going back to Houston, since they failed to offer him arbitration and he can't sign with them until May 1st. And he'll want to stay in Texas, since the Yankees can't sign him after lying about losing all that money and Boston has washed their hands clean of him - and it's far too risky for him to do it (and Beckett wants his No. 21, they should give it to him) and so...that's what I think.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:44 AM   #366
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't know why, but I find the Rule V draft to be kindof fun since it's basically the guys that aren't quite good enough to protect. It's a real diamond-in-the-rough draft.

Unfortunately the Royals are taking the fun out of things for them (that said, they don't really need another RP so it makes sense if they can trade down, get a prospect, and still snag someone like Howard).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB.com
DALLAS -- The first pick of the Major League phase of Thursday's Rule 5 draft will be Fabio Castro, a diminutive left-handed pitcher in the Chicago White Sox system, MLB.com has learned. While the Kansas City Royals have the No. 1 pick, there are strong indications they will not hold onto it. It is very likely they will trade the pick -- Castro -- to another team originally slated to pick later on in the draft.
SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:10 AM   #367
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I don't know why, but I find the Rule V draft to be kindof fun since it's basically the guys that aren't quite good enough to protect. It's a real diamond-in-the-rough draft.

Unfortunately the Royals are taking the fun out of things for them (that said, they don't really need another RP so it makes sense if they can trade down, get a prospect, and still snag someone like Howard).

SI

Wow, they can trade Rule V picks now? I think that's dumb. In the real draft, certainly they should allow trades. But in the Rule V draft? Well..then again..the Rule V draft can be useful for some teams who covet a player or whatever.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:39 AM   #368
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Just a minor FYI - it's the "Rule 5" draft. There's no need to use Roman numerals.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:55 AM   #369
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Just a minor FYI - it's the "Rule 5" draft. There's no need to use Roman numerals.

It used to be the Rule V draft. Now it is the Rule 5 draft. But there was surely a time when they actually used the V for the 5.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:54 AM   #370
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Wow, they can trade Rule V picks now? I think that's dumb. In the real draft, certainly they should allow trades. But in the Rule V draft? Well..then again..the Rule V draft can be useful for some teams who covet a player or whatever.

Well they can draft the player and then trade him to another team. I know the Astros took Willy Taveras from the Tribe several years ago and then traded Jeriome Robertson to the Indians so that the Astros could send Taveras down to AA Round Rock.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:14 AM   #371
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

With Alfonso Soriano no longer a possibility, the Dodgers are now targeting Kevin Mench in trade talks with the Rangers.
Jonathon Broxton still might be on his way to the Rangers. Fellow right-hander Chad Billingsley apparently isn't in the mix, as the Dodgers have labeled him untouchable. Dec. 8 - 4:45 am
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:15 AM   #372
Ksyrup

Uh-oh, Giants fans...

With Kevin Millwood demanding a five-year deal, the Mariners are prepared to move on to Matt Morris, the Seattle Times reports.
It could just be negotiating tactics. The Mariners still look like the favorites for Millwood, although they deny that they've made a four-year, $44 million offer. Dec. 8 - 4:31 am et
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-08-2005, 08:18 AM   #373
Ksyrup

I just realized that Bobby Higginson is off the Tigers' books! It seemed like he signed a 12 year deal or something.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-08-2005 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:18 AM   #374
Ksyrup

Rockies acquired LHP Ray King from the Cardinals for outfielder Larry Bigbie and second baseman Aaron Miles.
King disappointed the Cardinals last season, but he still held lefties to a .214/.313/.360 line. In 2004, lefties hit .150 average and two extra-base hits in 113 at-bats against him. We like the pickup. If King pitches up to his ability, the Rockies could get a top prospect for him in July. Dec. 8 - 1:47 am et
Old 12-08-2005, 08:20 AM   #375
Ksyrup

Newsday says the Mets and Rangers are discussing a deal sending Kris Benson to Texas for Laynce Nix and Juan Dominguez.
The Mets wouldn't seem to have a lot of use for either, but those two are still worth quite a bit more than Benson at $15 million over the next two years. Nix would probably be moved in another deal for relief help (to Florida for Ron Villone?). Dominguez could turn into a setup man if that's how the Mets elect to use him. Dec. 8 - 12:56 am et
Old 12-08-2005, 08:20 AM   #376
Ksyrup

Braves sources told MLB.com that money is the only thing standing between Edgar Renteria and Andy Marte changing teams.
The deal remains close. According to MLB.com, the Braves could include another prospect to get the Red Sox to kick in more money. Dec. 8 - 12:10 am et
Old 12-08-2005, 08:22 AM   #377
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just realized that Bobby Higginson is off the Tigers' books! It seemed like he signed a 12 year deal or something.

That didnt seem like an awful signing, until he decided to suck ass.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:44 AM   #378
Ksyrup

Yeah, 5 years later, and he would have been the first person to come up in the "did he stop taking steroids?" threads. As it is, he's just another one of those guys who, for no apparent reason, completely stopped being even remotely productive.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:47 AM   #379
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Well, on one hand..it's a GREAT trade for the Nats, as Soriano gives them a legitimate threat on the basepaths and at the plate. And that lineup was anemic last year. The deal was done, because the owners are trying to sweeten the pot for whoever buys the team. That's it and nothing else.

Wilkerson is my favourite major leaguer. A great player, plays all the positions and is a team guy. I hate that the fact that they had to deal him. But it's a lopsided trade, since Soriano is obviously the better player and the Rangers got him as their MARQUEE PLAYER from Alex Rodriguez. So, when you consider that they essentially traded A-Rod for Brad Wilkerson and a spare part...that's a pretty shitty deal, even if they are saving some payroll.

Each MLB team is going to make about $30 million from the sale of the Nats according to a recent report I heard. So, you have to figure that, MLB was like "deal him to the Nats" because not only did they get a reliable outfielder in return, but, they're saving money (and remember, this is the team that signed Chan Ho Park, they can use the cash) and I think that, Roger Clemens will sign with the Rangers this year. He's not going back to Houston, since they failed to offer him arbitration and he can't sign with them until May 1st. And he'll want to stay in Texas, since the Yankees can't sign him after lying about losing all that money and Boston has washed their hands clean of him - and it's far too risky for him to do it (and Beckett wants his No. 21, they should give it to him) and so...that's what I think.

No, its a frigging awful deal - Soriano had an OBP under .300 away from Texas last year, and is going to end up making $10 mil this year - which is crazy. Wilkerson is a good player, Sledge is a complementary bat, and the PTNBL is apparently one of Washington's better prospects. Its a dumbass deal, and the fact that Jim Bowden has a job should be worrysome to all.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:59 AM   #380
Booj
High School JV

I don't really like the trade for the Nats... Soriano is good, but I never really liked him but Wilkerson was and is by far my favorite player back to when he was an Expo, and I feel is really underrated. His defense was also outstanding. I liked the prospect of getting Soriano over the winter, but not now that I know Wilkie is gone...

EDIT: This could be a sort of insurance policy if Vidro is bothered by injuries and can't be the player he used to be... Left fielders are easier to come by than second basemen...

Last edited by Booj : 12-08-2005 at 10:00 AM.
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:15 AM   #381
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Braves sources told MLB.com that money is the only thing standing between Edgar Renteria and Andy Marte changing teams.
The deal remains close. According to MLB.com, the Braves could include another prospect to get the Red Sox to kick in more money. Dec. 8 - 12:10 am et

Done deal says Gammons:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2252297

Sox sure did sour on Renteria in a hurry.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:56 AM   #382
Ksyrup

I read on another board that Detroit signed Kenny Rogers. Rotisserie chicken for everyone!
Old 12-08-2005, 11:00 AM   #383
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mark Grudzielanek won't return to the Cardinals, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.
The Cardinals continue to look pretty cheap. According to the report, they weren't interested in exceeding $2 million in a one-year deal for Grudzielanek. The Mets remain the favorites for Grudzy. The Red Sox might see him as an option at shortstop if they trade Edgar Renteria for Andy Marte. Dec. 7 - 8:37 pm et

That's too bad. New Stadium, great year by Gruzzy, cheap ass owners. Yeay!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #384
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
Done deal says Gammons:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2252297

Sox sure did sour on Renteria in a hurry.
I hope Jim Hendry's been working the phones to pry Lugo and Huff from the D-Rays before the Red Sox try for either one.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:06 AM   #385
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah

What is the matter with the Cards' front office? Grudzelaniek at $2m isn't bad at all.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:07 AM   #386
Ksyrup

Amazing that the Sox were criticized for signing Renteria when they had Hanley Ramirez waiting in the wings, and now they have either and need a SS. Whether that trade is good depends on how much cash the Sox are eating. Replacing Furcal at $13M for 3 years with Renteria at, say, $8 or 9M a year, isn't that bad - assuming he gets his chubby ass in shape and plays like he did with the Cardinals.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-08-2005 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:07 AM   #387
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I saw the pics of the final piece of Busch II being demolished this morning, as much as I'm going to love the new ballpark, the old one sure had some memories.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:08 AM   #388
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
What is the matter with the Cards' front office? Grudzelaniek at $2m isn't bad at all.

2 Million is the Cap set by the owners for 2B, Grudz wants a 2 year $6M deal. Reasonable yes, but Jocketty was handcuffed.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:12 AM   #389
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
2 Million is the Cap set by the owners for 2B, Grudz wants a 2 year $6M deal. Reasonable yes, but Jocketty was handcuffed.

Handcuffed? Blah... I don't buy it. Now that the Burnett deal is gone, we should shore up the best DP combo in the league. What else do they want from Gruzzy?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:14 AM   #390
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Handcuffed? Blah... I don't buy it. Now that the Burnett deal is gone, we should shore up the best DP combo in the league. What else do they want from Gruzzy?

You don't believe that the GM was told by the owners not to spend over $2 Million per for the 2B?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:20 AM   #391
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You don't believe that the GM was told by the owners not to spend over $2 Million per for the 2B?

I'm sure it could be true, but LaRussa and Walt have to sell Gruzzy to the owners. I mean damn, the guy was great at 2B. I'm just sour on what they HAVEN'T done so far. Quit being cheap and play players when they perform for your ballclub.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:21 AM   #392
Ksyrup

Very odd behavior, considering they're going into a new stadium, too.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:32 AM   #393
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Very odd behavior, considering they're going into a new stadium, too.

It's certainly not what anyone expected, especially after going for Burnett and even offering 4 years at $10M per. The only thing I can think of is they are going to resign Mulder and are saving some for that. Who knows what some of these people are thinking.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:33 AM   #394
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
It's certainly not what anyone expected, especially after going for Burnett and even offering 4 years at $10M per. The only thing I can think of is they are going to resign Mulder and are saving some for that. Who knows what some of these people are thinking.

They have morris on arbitration...they could be waiting to see how much that runs them before spending money elsewhere. Though letting walker, grudz, and king go would indicate they have more money lying around then they are spending.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:39 AM   #395
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
They have morris on arbitration...they could be waiting to see how much that runs them before spending money elsewhere. Though letting walker, grudz, and king go would indicate they have more money lying around then they are spending.

Morris will never get to arbitration, he will sign before that with the Cards or another team.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:48 AM   #396
Terps
College Prospect

Ramon Hernandez to the O's a done deal pending physical. 4 years/$27 million.

Jeff Conine will also be signed.

Good luck Giants fans with Steve Kline. Glad he's gone.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:51 AM   #397
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The cards just pulled a trade sending Ray King to Colorado for 2B Aaron Miles and OF Larry Bigbie. So, the addition of Miles (who hit .281 in Coors last season and makes 300K) probably means the team isn't all that interested in giving Grudz $3 million per. That may be why the team pulled out of the bidding for him.

Last edited by Arles : 12-08-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:18 PM   #398
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The M's traded C Yorvit Torrealba to Colorado yesterday for a PTBNL. That player is reportedly RP Marcos Carvajal. If so, it's a steal for the M's - Carvajal is a very nice looking young RP with great stuff and pretty good results, especially considering his age.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:34 PM   #399
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
DALLAS -- The Kansas City Royals obtained infielder Esteban German from the Texas Rangers for Rule 5 selection Fabio Castro, Royals Senior Vice President-Baseball Operations/General Manager Allard Baird announced today. Castro was selected by the Royals as the first overall pick in the Major League portion of the Rule 5 Draft Thursday.

German, 27, split time between Oklahoma (AAA) and the Texas Rangers in 2005. The fleet-footed infielder hit .313 with a Pacific Coast League-leading 43 stolen bases in 49 attempts for Oklahoma. He also recorded 27 doubles, six triples, five homers, 68 RBI and 103 runs scored in 117 games. The right-handed batter was a September call-up to the Rangers and hit .750 (3-4) with an RBI and two stolen bases in five games. The 5-9, 165-pounder is currently continuing his stellar 2005 by leading the Dominican Winter League in average (.350), on-base percentage (.462) and stolen bases (25) in 37 games for Azucareros as of Tuesday. He has drawn 30 walks while striking out just 12 times.
So, the Royals traded their #1 pick in the Rule V (c'mon, I like Roman numerals) draft for yet another former A's farmhand. He looks like a little slappy but he is fast. Probably will be our utility IF this year.

I kindof wish they had taken a chance on Howard as he was still out there when the draft ended, but I don't know how full the Royals 40-man roster is.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-08-2005 at 12:36 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:03 PM   #400
primelord
Pro Rookie

I don't see any reason to pay Grudz $3 million dollars. If the Cards have proven anything the last few years, it is they can stick almost anyone at 2B and get reasonable production out of them.

I was pleasently surprised with Grudz defense last year, but he is too streaky of a hitter for my taste. Not to mention he was absolutely worthless in the post-season. I don't know much about Aaron Miles, but I have a feeling he will be reasonably productive in our offense as well. As long as he is solid with the glove I would much rather they took the 2.7 mil they saved at that position and squeezed it into the bullpen, OF, or a starting pitcher.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote