Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-23-2006, 01:39 PM   #351
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
I just knew after watching that game that the Chelsea fans would be complaining about the refereeing taking them out of the Champions League again. All I can say is that maybe, in truth, the Overlords of British Football just aren't quite up to it in the biggest of games.

Uh-huh. For the record, Chelsea went out last year because our offence went missing for two straight games (which may not be entirely unrelated to our having only one fit winger, to go back to the SWP discussion). Liverpool weren't any great shakes either, but if you can't score over two matches you don't deserve to go through. The lousy officiating was all in previous rounds:

- Drogba's sending off in the first leg against Barca. Turned the game, and if going for a loose ball (which it was, at the time he made the challenge) with your foot at that height is a bookable offence then Luis Garcia should've been shot on the semifinal goal

- Mourinho and Chelsea getting heavily fined, described as "the enemies of football", and repeatedly blasted by UEFA officials before the hearing for complaining about a significant breach of the rules that UEFA's stadium official personally witnessed and mentioned in his report.

- The entire quarterfinal, pretty much. Chelsea overcome our big-game problems to hammer Bayern and go 4-1 up in the first leg, then Ballack gets a silly penalty and it's 4-2. In the second leg, we score first, then Pizarro equalizes from an offside position. Drogba puts us back ahead, then Bayern score twice in some heavily extended stoppage time.

And by the way . . . we beat Barcelona last year from a very similar position to this. We hammered Bayern. We beat Man U and Liverpool to win the Carling Cup last year. We've done the double in the league over Man U last year, Arsenal this year, and Liverpool both years. We do fine in big games. If you want chokers, try Barca; they still haven't beaten Chelsea 11v11, and they made a bit of a mess of their domestic cup semi recently.

I don't think Jose actually defended Robben; just pointed out that focusing more on Robben than on the actual match or on what the hell Reina was doing with the tackle and the face-grab was a rather odd choice. But yeah, if he's going to complain about Messi then he really ought to admit Robben was in the wrong. And there was a certain irony to his complaining before the match that Deco has been known to dive.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:07 AM   #352
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

As an FYI, ESPN2 is not showing the Barca/Chelsea match live because of the World Baseball Classic game between the US and Mexico. They are showing it on tape delay.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:20 AM   #353
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon
If you want chokers, try Barca; they still haven't beaten Chelsea 11v11.

LOL
Old 03-07-2006, 08:41 AM   #354
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dear Santa,
for Christmas, I want a striker who costs less than 30 million pounds (our current outlay), and who can score a bloody goal.

regards,
Every Goddamn Liverpool fan.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #355
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
LOL

If you're going to insist on calling one of the top club teams in the world chokers, then Barca are clearly your men. In a context where they're being compared to other teams besides Chelsea (or Juve & Lyon, to complete the set of elite sides), obviously they're not chokers.

note: I'm not following the match at the moment - too nervewracking if I can't get a visual feed - so if Barca are making me look like an idiot then rest assured I'll realize that when I finally see the score
Old 03-08-2006, 01:37 AM   #356
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Just watched the tape delay, Ronaldinho is a beast. "Get out of my way, John Terry!"

The same thing is happening for the Arsenal/Real Madrid match (being shown on tape delay on ESPN2).

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:40 AM   #357
Desnudo
Coordinator

I'm getting Canada v. South Africa baseball. Yawn. What time is the Arsenal replay on?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:45 AM   #358
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I'm getting Canada v. South Africa baseball. Yawn. What time is the Arsenal replay on?

The Barca/Chelsea match was just airing before this World Baseball Classic game.

Arsenal/Real Madrid will be airing at the same time slot as the Barca/Chelsea match, 12:30 AM Eastern (Thursday) also known as 9:30 PM Wednesday Pacific time.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:52 AM   #359
Desnudo
Coordinator

Thanks. For some reason I thought they played today as well. I did manage to catch the last 30 minutes of Chelsea/Barca. The last 30 didn't exactly inspire me, except Ronaldinho of course. Did Messi play at all?
Old 03-08-2006, 02:06 AM   #360
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Thanks. For some reason I thought they played today as well. I did manage to catch the last 30 minutes of Chelsea/Barca. The last 30 didn't exactly inspire me, except Ronaldinho of course. Did Messi play at all?

Messi started but was subbed out early (middle of the first half) for Henrik Larsson.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:39 AM   #361
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Dear Santa,
for Christmas, I want a striker who costs less than 30 million pounds (our current outlay), and who can score a bloody goal.

regards,
Every Goddamn Liverpool fan.

^^ Amen to that. Have any of our strikers acutally scored a premiership goal in 2006 yet?

Doesn't bode well for today's game needing two goals to advance in the champions league.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:48 PM   #362
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon
If you're going to insist on calling one of the top club teams in the world chokers, then Barca are clearly your men. In a context where they're being compared to other teams besides Chelsea (or Juve & Lyon, to complete the set of elite sides), obviously they're not chokers.

note: I'm not following the match at the moment - too nervewracking if I can't get a visual feed - so if Barca are making me look like an idiot then rest assured I'll realize that when I finally see the score

After seeing the result . . . well. I still think there's as much room for concern about Barca's performance in big games as there is about Chelsea's (not much, for the record), looking at what the two teams have done over the last couple of years. But this Barca team is better than last season's, played very well, deserve to be through, and have to be the favorites now.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:09 PM   #363
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
^^ Amen to that. Have any of our strikers acutally scored a premiership goal in 2006 yet?

Doesn't bode well for today's game needing two goals to advance in the champions league.
I think they're in with a reasonable chance (15 mins in now, still 0-0 - time will tell ).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:11 PM   #364
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
I think they're in with a reasonable chance (15 mins in now, still 0-0 - time will tell ).

Aha,
to sleep, perchance to dream about it.

For the life of me, I don't see why Morientes is starting over Cisse. Cisse at least has pace - but seems forever consigned to the bench - when he starts, he looks good, but Benitez usually has him on the right as opposed to in a striker's role. Cisse and Crouch seem like they would be able to compliment each other. Morientes - man, I dont know what happened to the guy who would poach goals anywhere and everywhere.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:32 PM   #365
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Damnit!
For Simao to score just hurts. Benfica accepted a goddamn offer for him, then changed their mind at the last minute. Its too much to hope for another Olympiakos or Milan game.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 03-08-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:36 PM   #366
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Damnit!
For Simao to score just hurts. Benfica accepted a goddamn offer for him, then changed their mind at the last minute. Its too much to hope for another Olympiakos or Milan game.

We should have upped the ante.

Ah well, it was an uphill battle with Morientes (can't remember the last goal he actually scored) starting, and Traore and Warnock on the pitch. Maybe a good side to face Birmingham City, but not Benifica.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #367
moriarty
College Starter

Dola,

Just for fun take a look at the ESPN soccernet match tracker, shot tracker for the Liverpool game:
Liverpool 25 shots 0 goals. Benfica 7 shots 2 goals.

I miss Mr. Owen.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:41 PM   #368
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Bloody hell, what happened to Morientes ? Seriously ? He's a poacher, and the service at Liverpool, while not up to Madrid level, is still from a midfield of Kewell, Gerard, Alonso and co - has he lost even that ability ?
Old 03-08-2006, 04:43 PM   #369
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Dola,

Just for fun take a look at the ESPN soccernet match tracker, shot tracker for the Liverpool game:
Liverpool 25 shots 0 goals. Benfica 7 shots 2 goals.

I miss Mr. Owen.

If you a pkm of the the game you might want to send this to Marc Vaughan, it's probably the tactics, or the players, but the stats look wrong somehow
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:06 PM   #370
Desnudo
Coordinator

No spoilers please, but is the Arsenal - RM match worth watching?
Old 03-08-2006, 11:18 PM   #371
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'd say yes.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:33 PM   #372
Desnudo
Coordinator

Thanks. Right now I'm seeing Steve Smith instead of soccer which I find unfortunate.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:09 AM   #373
Desnudo
Coordinator

Henry one of the few true sportsman in soccer. Studs up challenge and he stays upright. Ronaldo on the other hand...

Great play-by-play announcer with unmatched horrible analyst. Has this combo ever been topped? It's like putting Bob Costas and Paul McGuire together.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:11 AM   #374
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
No spoilers please, but is the Arsenal - RM match worth watching?

Yes, it's a real cat-and-mouse game. Lot's of interesting stuff
Old 03-09-2006, 02:00 AM   #375
daedalus
Pro Rookie

FUCK. I didn't know the match would be televised so I didn't watch for it. Damn it all.

Still glad we went through, though. And, if what I have been reading about Eboue is correct, I would be damn glad to surrender some players every single year for the ANC if they come back as much improved as he has.

SOME.

Didn't see our game but I feel like Real and Chelsea did their opponents a favour by not starting Robinho and Gudjohnsen.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:20 AM   #376
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
If you a pkm of the the game you might want to send this to Marc Vaughan, it's probably the tactics, or the players, but the stats look wrong somehow

Funny, that was my first thought when I saw the shot chart. If this was FM, someone would have posted it as a bug by now. I think someone on the FM staff must have purposely lowered Morientes' hidden ratings.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:30 AM   #377
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Funny, that was my first thought when I saw the shot chart. If this was FM, someone would have posted it as a bug by now. I think someone on the FM staff must have purposely lowered Morientes' hidden ratings.

If Liverpool had got that many shots in FM, Cisse would have scored 6. He's Player of the Year and averaging over a goal a game in my career, keeps on bursting through defences and smacking in goals. He's not nearly as crap as he is in real life

Watched the AC Milan v Bayern game yesterday, great performance from Milan. Fingers crossed for a Milan v Barcelona final.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:21 AM   #378
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Damn Liverpool fans . . . you're crossing your fingers for a Barcelona v Arsenal final.

Get it right.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:55 AM   #379
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Damn Liverpool fans . . . you're crossing your fingers for a Barcelona v Arsenal final.

Get it right.

I think Milan - Barcelona makes for a better match, but I don't have a problem rooting for Arsenal the rest of the way. I respect the way they play, even if I'll be booing them on Sunday.

Now if it was Chelsea or Man U, forget about it.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #380
Desnudo
Coordinator

Lyon v. Barcelona is what I'm hoping for. Fred \0/
Old 03-09-2006, 01:11 PM   #381
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Didn't see our game but I feel like Real and Chelsea did their opponents a favour by not starting Robinho and Gudjohnsen.

Probably. I haven't seen our game, since staying up til two a couple of days before a midterm just to watch an incredibly frustrating performance seemed somewhat masochistic, but from what I gather keeping possession in midfield and connecting with the front three was our main problem. That's what Eidur's really good for as a midfielder; we certainly don't play him there for his tackling.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #382
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think Milan - Barcelona makes for a better match, but I don't have a problem rooting for Arsenal the rest of the way. I respect the way they play, even if I'll be booing them on Sunday.

Now if it was Chelsea or Man U, forget about it.

Ditto. I like Arsenal as a style of play and as a team - they play good football.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:49 AM   #383
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

http://football365.com/teams/liverpo...y_180848.shtml

apparently, there were legs to the Defoe-Cisse swap story I mentioned earlier - though I'm kind of shocked Benitez went out and said it.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:54 PM   #384
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
http://football365.com/teams/liverpo...y_180848.shtml

apparently, there were legs to the Defoe-Cisse swap story I mentioned earlier - though I'm kind of shocked Benitez went out and said it.

Wow, as a Liverpool fan I'd take that swap in a second. I wonder if Benitez is throwing it out there just to raise Defoe's discontent and force Tottenham's hand. Doesn't seem like something Rafa would do, but maybe he's getting impatient.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:05 AM   #385
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

Since ESPN isnt showing the Ars - Juve game anyone know where i can watch it on the net? I don't mind spending a couple bucks on it if I have to.
-apoc- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:55 AM   #386
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by -apoc-
Since ESPN isnt showing the Ars - Juve game anyone know where i can watch it on the net? I don't mind spending a couple bucks on it if I have to.

The Arsenal game is on Setanta, if you can find a bar that has it.

No idea abouot the net, you may be able to find it messing about with PPLive.

Last edited by Critch : 03-28-2006 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:14 AM   #387
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Love my Setanta Sports

$12 a mo.. for all the Soccer, Rugby and soon Aussie Rules
Old 03-28-2006, 12:16 PM   #388
Critch
lolzcat

Hearts v Hibs Scottish Cup Semi-final is on live on Setanta this weekend. Looking forward to it already.

And I'll believe the Aussie Rules football when it's announced officially and not before
Old 03-28-2006, 01:50 PM   #389
AlexB
Pro Starter

I cannot believe how good Kolo Toure is compared to when he first arrived at Arsenal. Unbelieveable.

On second thoughts, just: I can't believe how good Kolo Toure is. That is all I need to say.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:53 PM   #390
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

I found the game on a chinese ESPN thing. So aside from some slight buffering and chinese commentary im happy
-apoc- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:12 PM   #391
daedalus
Pro Rookie

When he first arrived, Kolo really needed a steadying influence alongside of him (like Sol) to shine. Now, *he* has become that commanding centreback in the back of the line. He was good before the ACN but has become ridiculously good afterward.

As has Manu Eboué, actually.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:14 PM   #392
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Is it just me or is that at least one (if not two) handball in the box that could have been called against Barca?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:30 PM   #393
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I'm fucking pissed. The Arse's game against Juve was suppose to be on at 12PM (according to Yahoo's fucking listing). I turn it on at noon and there's 30 minutes left in Barca's game.

Feh.

At least it's an entertaining game.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #394
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
When he first arrived, Kolo really needed a steadying influence alongside of him (like Sol) to shine. Now, *he* has become that commanding centreback in the back of the line. He was good before the ACN but has become ridiculously good afterward.

As has Manu Eboué, actually.

Eboue has come out of nowhere to the point where even if Lauren was fit again I doubt he would get his place back.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:06 PM   #395
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
Hearts v Hibs Scottish Cup Semi-final is on live on Setanta this weekend. Looking forward to it already.

And I'll believe the Aussie Rules football when it's announced officially and not before

You mean when they've put the first week's up?
Old 03-28-2006, 03:17 PM   #396
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Apparently, his pace is on par with Ash and Clichy. His ability to go forward had been there since he arrived but his defense had been somewhat suspect. I think he's put himself well ahead of Justin Hoyte since his return from the ANC. I *still* think that, unfortunately, Wenger will still start Lauren ahead of Eboué when he returns since Wenger tends to be extremely loyal.

It won't happen but I'd love to see Eboué remain in the first XI and Lauren move over to the defensive midfield slot since I think he can be a better partner for Cesc than Gilberto (who is a quality player, just not a good partner for Cesc).
Old 03-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #397
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
You mean when they've put the first week's up?

It's on the website? I didn't notice anything, only mention I saw of Aussie Rules on Setanta was the post on Big Soccer that you made.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:00 PM   #398
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
It's on the website? I didn't notice anything, only mention I saw of Aussie Rules on Setanta was the post on Big Soccer that you made.

From the Aussie Rules partner in NA

> Any word yet on when the first game will be telecast?

We should know within a few more days but looks very much like mid-April for the full matches as well as the full up schedule on MHz. FSWC will follow suit as they are going to get it from the other two.

All the networks are workly closely with AFANA and have agreed to supply us with schedules.

Personally, one minor upside to the end of the coverage on Fox networks is no more battles with a company that considers forward schedules to be company confidential information.

-Rob de Santos
AFANA Chairman
Old 03-28-2006, 04:40 PM   #399
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
From the Aussie Rules partner in NA

> Any word yet on when the first game will be telecast?

We should know within a few more days but looks very much like mid-April for the full matches as well as the full up schedule on MHz. FSWC will follow suit as they are going to get it from the other two.

All the networks are workly closely with AFANA and have agreed to supply us with schedules.

Personally, one minor upside to the end of the coverage on Fox networks is no more battles with a company that considers forward schedules to be company confidential information.

-Rob de Santos
AFANA Chairman

Now I'm confused. Is that from the Setanta website, or does it mention Setanta in a bit you've snipped? Cos that mentions MHZ only (which is ok for me cos I'm one of the 1% who get it)

Last edited by Critch : 03-28-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #400
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

http://www.afana.com/af_tvinfo.shtml

Here's the relevant part:

Coverage of Aussie rules in 2006 for US fans will be on Setanta Sports STS (DirecTV ch. 615 and Globecast satellite service) and on MHz Worldview (Globecast only) and for Canadians on FOX Sports World Canada. This web page will have schedules below for those networks as soon as they are available