Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2005, 03:30 PM   #351
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I'm really starting to enjoy the passing more now. If you can tell your receiver is going to be open based on where the defenders are and throw right before or as he makes his cut it is working really well for me. This has always been the strategy or course, but last year's super DB's would find a way to make the play anyway. This year feels a lot mroe realistic.

Main problem I have right now is that I've yet to play a close game. In my Miss dynasty I've blown out three teams: Vandy, Memphis and The Citadel, with the Citadel being a 99-21 win! The other two games were wins of 50 popint margins or more. I also played #8 Tennessee and was whomped soundly 77-24. I'm loving the game, I just hope it doesn't stay too easy and too hard. A competitive game would be nice. =)
Old 07-14-2005, 03:39 PM   #352
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Recruiting is improved too and more realistic. Smaller schools (like mu UNLV dynasty) manage to snag up to three four and even a Five star player each season from the big schools.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:44 PM   #353
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

How exactly does the in-season recruitng work? I'll choose 12 or so guys to targer during the year, and each week I adjust the percentage of time spent on that recruit, but is that it? How do you schedule visits? How do you interact with the recruits during visits? Can you pitch them anything (i.e. Prestige, Coaching Style, etc?)
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:49 PM   #354
Its Vanilla
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
Is there a way to turn off the "auto-play" feature during the game? That is, when I start a passing play and I don't hit a button, he'll automatically throw to some random receiver. I got used to letting my QB auto-drop before I took over. But in NCAA it auto-drops, then auto-throws. Do I just need to get into the habit of doing the drop back manually to avoid this problem?

The Easypass feature is on by default. Just go to setting and change passing mode to normal. Then you'll have to hit X to hike the ball and X to bring up your receivers.

Also, what button brings down the passing icons and lets the QB run the ball?
Its Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:50 PM   #355
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its Vanilla
Also, what button brings down the passing icons and lets the QB run the ball?

Nothing - you don't have to pull the passing icons down now, just run with it. Sprint works with the icons up.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:50 PM   #356
mhass
High School Varsity

Either black or white on the Xbox. Can't remember which exactly.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:52 PM   #357
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
How exactly does the in-season recruitng work? I'll choose 12 or so guys to targer during the year, and each week I adjust the percentage of time spent on that recruit, but is that it? How do you schedule visits? How do you interact with the recruits during visits? Can you pitch them anything (i.e. Prestige, Coaching Style, etc?)

Essentially, that's it. You'll be top-8, then they'll all cut their list first to top 5, then to top 3. Any of those points you can be left off this list, and you're out for that recruit.

The week they cut to top 3, you have the chance to schedule a visit and make a pitch. You can pitch them any of the standard ones - Prestige, Style, etc. Sometimes you'll have feedback about what they like before you make the pitch - not sure yet what causes it.

Just be sure you check/adjust the screen weekly. You have to actually look at the recruit in order to schedule the visit.

Kevin
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:54 PM   #358
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass
Either black or white on the Xbox. Can't remember which exactly.

My fault. Those are the pump fake and throw away buttons.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:17 PM   #359
Its Vanilla
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass
My fault. Those are the pump fake and throw away buttons.

Yeah, I have the PS2 version. I can't tell you how many times I accidently threw the ball away.
Its Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:22 PM   #360
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
Essentially, that's it. You'll be top-8, then they'll all cut their list first to top 5, then to top 3. Any of those points you can be left off this list, and you're out for that recruit.

The week they cut to top 3, you have the chance to schedule a visit and make a pitch. You can pitch them any of the standard ones - Prestige, Style, etc. Sometimes you'll have feedback about what they like before you make the pitch - not sure yet what causes it.

Just be sure you check/adjust the screen weekly. You have to actually look at the recruit in order to schedule the visit.

Kevin
Yup. That's a pretty good description. I'm on my second season, and therefore my second iteration of in-season recruiting.

Here are some thoughts:

* When I pick my twelve, I only expect to go after 5 or 6 of them actively. Therefore I tend to pick the areas where I have the most needs and concentrate on them, targeting 2 or 3 players from the same position.

* The above strategy allows me to go for the slightly out of my league player, the player who I probably should go for, and the insurance policy player.

* After the first week I weed out the ones that I'm behind on and focus on the ones where I think I've got a good shot or am in the running. Those that I'm not pursuing will get 0 recruiting points unless I'm still in the running a week or two later.

* The earlier you can determine who you legitimately have a shot at signing, the sooner you can boost the recruiting points and gain an advantage. Early on the AI is most likely spreading points around to all 12 recruits, or at least 8 or 10. By focusing on 5 or 6 you can spend 18 or 20 points on each target and get an early edge.

* Once you make a recruits list of 3 and can offer a visit, try to schedule it in the next few weeks. If you don't they may visit other schools before they get to yours and pick them over you. Also, if you schedule it way out, they feel neglected (as EaglesFan posted).

* I haven't had much success in trying to predict what pitch will work. In NCAA 2004 you could narrow down choices to some degree. If he was looking at schools near his home, location could be important. If he was looking at big name schools, prestige could be important. If he is a JUCO player, playing time was often a factor as they don't want to ride the pines when they only have a few years left. So far those techniques don't SEEM to work.

* If I've have two players who are similar that I'm interested in, I'll go with the one from my pipeline state.

* In the middle stages if I have a few recruiting points to burn, I'll scout a player to see if he will be a discipline problem, or if he seems like he'll have good potential for development. If I'm behind other schools and not gaining ground, a bad disicipline problem will often lead me to cut bait and focus on other players.

EDIT: Celeval mentioned that sometimes you get feedback about what pitch might work with a particular recruit. I wonder if that might be tied to your pipeline states? Would make sense. You've got ties with that high school coach and he can feed you some insider info. That would be pretty neat if that were the case. I'm at work, so I can't verify. Perhaps someone else can.

Last edited by Buzzbee : 07-14-2005 at 04:37 PM.
Buzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:37 PM   #361
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
Toward the end of the season there will be a paper Icon right next to the players names. You can schedule the games yby going to the players card.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:39 PM   #362
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
Toward the end of the season there will be a paper Icon right next to the players names. You can schedule the games yby going to the players card.

Yeah, and when you schedule the visit is when you'll be able to choose which pitch you'd like to make.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:40 PM   #363
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Just played my first game on XBOX vs CPU.

OSU (me) vs. Miami (OH)

Really enjoyed it on AA. I won 31-17, Ginn was a beast. He had a 18-yard reverse which set up a TD and a 38-yard reception which also lead to a score. AJ Hawk was dominant as well, I like this.

Maybe I've missed the dicussion, but at the end of the game when Miami (OH) was running no huddle they ran the same run play over and over. Anyone else see this?
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:45 PM   #364
kcchief19
Pro Starter

In my mind I must have confused the RFTH features with the new Madden put-yourself-in-the-game feature. Am I missing something or is the only difference between RFTH and a dynasty that you are player driven instead of coach drive? You still call the plays, play QB, etc.? I was thinking that you only controlled your player.

Also, for anyone who has played around more than one week with RFTH features, do you ever get to do more than one drill per position? I was a RB and the only drill I could do was the Oklahoma drill. Does that change when you advance past week one?

I'm also fuzzy on exiting the drills. I'm always asked if I'm sure I want to exit because I'll lose stats not saved -- but there is no option to save anything. Just a hitch in the system or am I crazy?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:04 PM   #365
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara
He is playing for sure, so I don't think he would be angry if i answer for him ...
The game was ordered from tronix.com
A great site for selling games. I've done a lot of orders here too. Suggested

Cool, thanks Tara...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:04 PM   #366
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Gamestop by my house has 8 copies. Fuck it. I'm buying it on the way home. I'll go ahead and sleep on the couch tonight (won't really bother me since the Xbox is in the living room, hehehe).
Old 07-14-2005, 05:23 PM   #367
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
Gamestop by my house has 8 copies. Fuck it. I'm buying it on the way home. I'll go ahead and sleep on the couch tonight (won't really bother me since the Xbox is in the living room, hehehe).

Old 07-14-2005, 05:46 PM   #368
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

The video dynasty that I had planned is on hold indefinitely. My internet access is gone at home. The provider will need to send a technician to my place, but nobody is going to be at home during the daytime until the middle of next week after I quit my job and my wife returns from out of town. I need to find out if they'll charge me a fee for performing the service call, also, because I'm not going to bring them out if they're going to charge me. I'm moving across the country in two weeks, and it's just not going to be worth it. Basically, if I can get a free and prompt visit from a technician, I'll get this going within a week. If I can't, it'll probably be at least three weeks, since I'll need to get all my stuff set up in Pennsylvania.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:01 PM   #369
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I ordered from DVDPlanet also, and no sign of my game...

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:26 PM   #370
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards

I was hoping you'd come around.

(glad my wife is at work)
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:28 PM   #371
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Of course, thats what I get for trying to save 10 bucks

Old 07-14-2005, 06:44 PM   #372
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Of course, thats what I get for trying to save 10 bucks

Fry's store has it for 37.99.

do you have the store near you?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:00 PM   #373
General Mike
Pro Starter

Pitch Playing Time if the position is a need for you.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:18 PM   #374
Balldog
Pro Rookie

If you ever play against NC State you better plan on keeping 8 men in to block, their DEs are freaks. I couldn't even run screens against them because one would get in so quick I would have to get rid of it early then the other one would just eat my RB for dinner.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:20 PM   #375
jbmagic
Pro Starter

the CPU likes to call the same play over and over in no huddle.

anybody seeing this?
Old 07-14-2005, 07:24 PM   #376
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
the CPU likes to call the same play over and over in no huddle.

anybody seeing this?

I posted it above, I have seen this both times the CPU has run no-huddle. What makes it bad is they keep calling run plays.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:37 PM   #377
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Fry's store has it for 37.99.

do you have the store near you?

Nah, and I am too lazy to drive around looking for it at that price. I dont mind waiting a week.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:01 PM   #378
jbmagic
Pro Starter

why is deep passes easier than short passes?

it seems kinda easy to throw the deep passes. human and cpu teams.

or maybe i just suck
Old 07-14-2005, 08:19 PM   #379
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
why is deep passes easier than short passes?

it seems kinda easy to throw the deep passes. human and cpu teams.

or maybe i just suck

The key to stopping short passes is good pass coverage. The key to stopping deep passes is good pressure on the QB (get to the QB before the routes can develope). I also use 2 Man Cover defense a lot (the two safeties play deep zone coverage while everyone else is man coverage.

As for the Player getting too many deep passes, you may want to up the CPU's AI Awareness setting a few clicks (I play on AA difficulty and I think my CPU's AI Awareness setting is 75 right now). That seems to work good.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:28 PM   #380
jbmagic
Pro Starter

sabotai

thanks for the tip.

i also think maybe qb accuracy slider if you lower it, makes it harder to complete deep passes a lot for human and cpu.

i know it did for Madden 2005.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:35 PM   #381
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Embarassingly, I've had to lower my difficulty rating to varsity. After going down 27-0 (in the 1st quarter!) to UL Lafayette with Maryland, I'm just figuring out how awful I am. I don't remember thinking the game was this hard last year - I could have sworn I was on AA difficulty and I would easily get 8+ wins a season.

For some reason, I rarely find the holes when running the ball, and everytime I pass (even with a short drop) my offensive line misses someone and my QB gets buried. Whenever I run the option, I sub in my 90 speed quarterback, and yet a defensive lineman from the opposite side runs my QB down before he can get into position to pitch. I'm fumbling, giving up interceptions and huge play after huge play.

I really feel like a detriment to my team and I'm worried that my CPU teammates are planning for me to have an "accident" on the way to the stadium
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:37 PM   #382
CraigSca
Pro Starter

dola - one thing I noticed is the little menu that pops up in the top right-hand corner when you have the ball and time is running out in the half/game - the "spike the ball, hurry-up, call timeout" menu. Nice little touch.
how do you know?

Old 07-14-2005, 08:40 PM   #383
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
dola - one thing I noticed is the little menu that pops up in the top right-hand corner when you have the ball and time is running out in the half/game - the "spike the ball, hurry-up, call timeout" menu. Nice little touch.

You know, that little addition to the game is genius. You don't know how many times I paused the game with 2004 just to look at the manual to find the right buttons.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:56 PM   #384
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
You know, that little addition to the game is genius. You don't know how many times I paused the game with 2004 just to look at the manual to find the right buttons.

Agreed.

I learned my lesson. Don't delay bringing in a recruit you really want. I lost the top HB in the nation as he gave FSU a hard commit after visiting them in week 11. So much, for having him come for my biggest home game of the year in week 15 . If I don't get a top notch HB in the off-season recruiting, I could be set up for a big fall next year, I doubt I will be able to convince Bush not to go pro after this season. The good news is that I got my second recruit to sign, the top FB in the nation (although I'm not that impressed with his poor potential and low field awareness.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:01 PM   #385
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Agreed.

I learned my lesson. Don't delay bringing in a recruit you really want. I lost the top HB in the nation as he gave FSU a hard commit after visiting them in week 11. So much, for having him come for my biggest home game of the year in week 15 . If I don't get a top notch HB in the off-season recruiting, I could be set up for a big fall next year, I doubt I will be able to convince Bush not to go pro after this season. The good news is that I got my second recruit to sign, the top FB in the nation (although I'm not that impressed with his poor potential and low field awareness.)

That stinks! Although I wonder how you would do with a medicore RB?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:04 PM   #386
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Right now, after 8 games, Bush has 2700 all purpose yards with 26 TD's. He is amazing

Bush is averaging about 160 rushing, 90 receiving, and 70 return yards per game

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-14-2005 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:05 PM   #387
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:

Playing as Maryland, I have about 3 or 4 of them. It ain't pretty.
how do you know?

Old 07-14-2005, 09:06 PM   #388
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Right now, after 8 games, Bush has 2700 all purpose yards with 26 TD's. He is amazing

I'm averaging about 160 rushing, 90 receiving, and 70 return yards per game

wow. i might try UCLA. i am a big fan of the pac ten. i love UCLA and USC.

West coast rules

what your record 8-0?

how many rushing attempts vs passing attempts your doing a game.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:06 PM   #389
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Playing as Maryland, I have about 3 or 4 of them. It ain't pretty.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:07 PM   #390
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
wow. i might try UCLA. i am a big fan of the pac ten. i love UCLA and USC.

West coast rules

what your record 8-0?

how many rushing attempts vs passing attempts your doing a game.
If you want to use Bush, make sure you use USC

Yeah, I'm 8-0 and 1st in one poll and 2nd in the other poll. Georgia and FSU are my main competition right. Interestingly, Georgia is 1st in one poll and 3rd in the other poll.

I'm running about 30 times a game (20 with Bush and about 10 with White.)

I'm passing 20-30 times a game with the rare 35-40 pass game (only 1 so far.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-14-2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:11 PM   #391
jbmagic
Pro Starter

its going to be a challenge to face Bush with me playing UCLA.

should be fun.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:12 PM   #392
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
its going to be a challenge to face Bush with me playing UCLA.

should be fun.

Ahhh, I misunderstood
Old 07-14-2005, 09:14 PM   #393
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I've found that the key to defeating Maryland is to suit up 11 players on each side. If you can do that, it's pretty much a lock.
how do you know?

Old 07-14-2005, 09:33 PM   #394
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I've found that the key to defeating Maryland is to suit up 11 players on each side. If you can do that, it's pretty much a lock.
I find that the way to beat Cincinnati is to force me to punt. I can hit a 50 yard FG from a bad angle, but if I am forced to punt the ball goes 7 yards sideways.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:11 PM   #395
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The thing I love about this game is how one play can totally change the face of a game.

I'm tied 0-0 with #29 Oklahoma St., 2nd quarter and I miss their HB on a run up the gut, 40 yards later they are at my 5 yd line and go in for the score on the next play. It's now 17-0 and I'm taking a break because I don't remember what just happened to the 7-0 game??

Brad Smith please heal faster!
Old 07-14-2005, 10:45 PM   #396
Ironhead
College Prospect

hxxp://www.vimeo.com/clip=3443

Reminder to self: If the computer comes out in punt block don't assume the game is like all other years where the computer had no chance to block it:

(Does anyone know where I can get a whole lot of free webspace? I am toying with the idea of a video dynasty)
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:54 PM   #397
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

AHhhhhhhh... I DID adjust in the 2nd half and after making it 17-7 I had a chance to make it 17-14 in the 4th but I hit the mode button on my wireless controller and the QB was taken over by the CPU and threw an INT. Oh how I want to scream right now. We lose 17-7 after another drive that ends on the 8 yard line of Ok. St. that drive could have tied the game for me if it wasn't for that blunder.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:04 PM   #398
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
AHhhhhhhh... I DID adjust in the 2nd half and after making it 17-7 I had a chance to make it 17-14 in the 4th but I hit the mode button on my wireless controller and the QB was taken over by the CPU and threw an INT. Oh how I want to scream right now. We lose 17-7 after another drive that ends on the 8 yard line of Ok. St. that drive could have tied the game for me if it wasn't for that blunder.

Darn, that is a terrible way to lose a game
Old 07-14-2005, 11:25 PM   #399
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I powered off after I switched players to sack the QB...except it switched to my CB who then dove to the ground who then left a WR wide open for a 50 yard catch. The next drive they hit a small pass in the flat that turned into an 80-yd TD catch. It was bullshit. Maybe I should turn it back to Varsity? I was 4-0 in Varsity but am struggling on AA with tOSU.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:29 PM   #400
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
Maybe I should turn it back to Varsity?

Maybe you shouldn't switch defender midplay? It took awhile for me to really learn that lesson.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote