Old 04-23-2005, 10:00 PM   #351
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

OMG!!!!! Clarrett to Denver!
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:00 PM   #352
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Well, if there's a place for him to shine as a RB...

Of course if he sucks in Denver, then he really sucks.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:00 PM   #353
Pyser
Pro Rookie

sucks for ron dayne!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:01 PM   #354
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

damn.. I should've put the McPherson pic off for a few more minutes.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 04-23-2005 at 10:01 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:01 PM   #355
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

How? What in the heck is Denver smoking? They could have gotten him later, and there are better players available.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:02 PM   #356
miami_fan
Coordinator

Clarett? Unbelieveable!
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:02 PM   #357
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Haha..I think they wanted to jolt the system. And you know he'll sign for almost nothing. I'm looking for McPherson in the 4th round, because of this pick. He's athletic and I think he's even more attractive than one of those other "proven" guys. Especially when you consider that he's the only QB in the draft with any sort of pro football experience.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-23-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:04 PM   #358
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dola

Plus, he's younger than Warner was when came out of the AFL.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:04 PM   #359
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Maurice Clarett???

Idiots!!!!!!

Mike Shanahan and the Denver Broncos are idiots in a lot of things. They are usually morons. They are ripe for criticism about 95% of the time.

But the one thing you NEVER call them idiots on are running backs. They don't miss there. This team understands RB's and has proven time and time again they know what to do with them.

Rather than scream "idiots", which I'm sure most of the NFL will do, they might be thinking "Uh Oh" along the lines of "Maybe Denver knows something we don't"

Mo may go busto, but I will not criticize that pick until he does. They've simply had too much success to do otherwise.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:04 PM   #360
Cuckoo
College Starter

Bad pick - and that's not a comment on his ability or even the other concerns with him.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:06 PM   #361
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Bad pick - and that's not a comment on his ability or even the other concerns with him.

Clarett made a good point. Other than NCAA violations and maybe questionable youth character issues (aka he's a "quitter" or whatever)..he's never been in trouble with the law or anything like that.

And I don't quitting at the combine is even an issue. The guy is hungry. He has a ton to prove. And like you've all said, in Denver..he really can't go wrong.

Undersized sure. But he's young, hungry and well, there are tons of other guys who had real character issues and have excelled in the NFL. He'll be fine. Not a star, but fine.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:07 PM   #362
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm surprised that Torry Holt was a supporter of Clarett. That's interesting.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:07 PM   #363
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Mo may go busto, but I will not criticize that pick until he does. They've simply had too much success to do otherwise.

We can criticize where he was taken, though. They reached.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:08 PM   #364
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson

If the talk was that he was going in the 4th round and that seems to be the buzz..then it might have made sense to pick him up.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:11 PM   #365
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Undersized sure. But he's young, hungry and well, there are tons of other guys who had real character issues and have excelled in the NFL. He'll be fine. Not a star, but fine.

His biggest questions on the field is speed (he's slow) and the only season he played was injury filled. The character concerns only add to the real questions of ability that was going to affect his being picked.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:12 PM   #366
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
If the talk was that he was going in the 4th round and that seems to be the buzz..then it might have made sense to pick him up.

If someone was going to take him in the fouth round, let them reach. This guy is too big a gamble this early.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:13 PM   #367
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Except talk was 6th round at the earliest.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:14 PM   #368
Pyser
Pro Rookie

well, it was a compensatory pick. doesnt justify it, but it is a 'bonus' selection.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:14 PM   #369
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Look at the little figurine on the desk!
Old 04-23-2005, 10:15 PM   #370
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
If someone was going to take him in the fouth round, let them reach. This guy is too big a gamble this early.

I'm not saying I pick him. I'd take McPherson over him, anyday. Or the tons of other proven players in the draft.

But with all the busts in the draft and such alike, you figure that it's worth the reach if he turns out half as good as his potential was. Remember, when this guy rumoured to come out initially, no one doubted he had 1st round talent.

Save being out of football for a while, I don't see how that talent magically goes away. Especially with some time in a pro system, positive reinforcement and given the tools to succeed.

I don't know if it's a smart pick, especially given they could have Berman out there running for 1,000 yards. But...I guess that's why they pay them the big bucks and we watch..

And with all the critics and detractors, I figure they expect that he might go bust. But I tend to like the boldness of the pick.

Especially with all the other players that might have easily gone bust at that position.

I dunno. He won't sign for 3rd round money, though.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:16 PM   #371
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
well, it was a compensatory pick. doesnt justify it, but it is a 'bonus' selection.

Not when you consider they lost their normal 3rd round pick do to salary cap violations.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:17 PM   #372
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Clarett made a good point. Other than NCAA violations and maybe questionable youth character issues (aka he's a "quitter" or whatever)..he's never been in trouble with the law or anything like that.

And I don't quitting at the combine is even an issue. The guy is hungry. He has a ton to prove. And like you've all said, in Denver..he really can't go wrong.

Well, I have no idea whether he'll be fine. I don't know if he'll be a star or a massive bust. But I do think quitting is an issue. It shows what kind of person he is, and it will inevitably effect his relationship with his teammates. Now, can he conquer that? Absolutely. But to say it's not an issue is missing something, in my opinion.

It was a bad pick because, as some have said, he likely would've lasted until the sixth round. Combine that with the fact that Denver already has several pretty good running backs (all as good or better than Clarett in my opinion), and that makes it a bad pick to me. Surely, Denver had more pressing needs. Obviously, they didn't think so, and they're the ones who are accountable. But if it was me, I'd call that a bad pick.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:20 PM   #373
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I dunno. He won't sign for 3rd round money, though.

If he doesn't, it will make him (and Denver) look even more foolish. If he holds out, it will just continue to reinforce the ide this guy doesn't belong on any team.He's lucky to be picked in the third round, and he ought to sign that third round offer sheet and thank his lucky stars he can.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:22 PM   #374
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Not when you consider they lost their normal 3rd round pick do to salary cap violations.

What about their other comp. pick in the 3rd round then?
:P
Old 04-23-2005, 10:24 PM   #375
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
What about their other comp. pick in the 3rd round then?
:P

That one was the throw away one.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #376
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
Excellent point on Thompson and Brown. That does change the needs a little bit if both come here.

They also reached an agreement with Navies today - s'posed to be signed on Monday.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:31 PM   #377
timmynausea
College Starter

I was happy to see the Bengals get Chris Henry. If he can get over his attitude problems he can be as good as any reciever in the draft.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:55 PM   #378
MikeVic
Head Coach

Just saw the Clarett pick.. wow. But I can't say anything until he fails. They have 2 RBs now that most people think can't succeed. Watch them both get 1000 yards next season.

Does anyone have any info. on the other 2 Steelers picks? The TE in the 1st they wanted, but I know nothing of the CB and OL they got in rounds 2 and 3...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:28 PM   #379
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman
Looks more like he's going to be a second day (5th round?) draft pick.

Foot meet mouth.

Yeah I was wrong. Atleast I am man enough to admit it.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:35 PM   #380
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
Yeah I was wrong. Atleast I am man enough to admit it.

I made that picture just for you. Maybe it'd be a nice tiled wallpaper.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 04-23-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:01 AM   #381
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, if any team has shown they can turn ANYONE into a 1000 yard back, it's Denver. If he gets a chance to start for a season, I bet he cracks the mark. Though if I was Denver, I'd have taken Sprouls... or waited a few rounds.

On other draft stuff, Detroit takes Mike Williams? WTF? Have they consigned themselves to the fact that Charles Rodgers will always have a season ending injury? If they are all healthy, they'll have to play a 3 WR formation or else ONE of those 3 1st round WR will get pissed at a lack of playing time.

Atlanta takes another WR in the first round... hope this one is better than Jenkins. He sounds pretty good from what I've read so far.

And the Jets . Usually you don't pick a kicker that early, but seeing what happened in the playoffs last year and taking someone who'll be Vinateri II is a very good strategy. And they got the CB everyone was saying they should have gotten later in the round.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:15 AM   #382
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Maybe so, but keep in mind a couple of things:

1) Denver doesn't have a pick in the fourth round. They just said on ESPN that there were some GM's that felt he'd go in round 4.

2) It was a compensatory pick that couldn't be traded. Denver couldn't trade down ten to twelve spots.

3) Denver doesn't pick RB's unless they feel they are the real deal, especially on day one. I can promise you that Shanahan and company do not think they reached with the pick. Quite the opposite, I think they believe they are getting a steal.

We'll see. I'm not that enamored with the pick. . . but I just can't slam them for making it. Not with the track record they have at that position.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:35 AM   #383
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

There is simply no way Denver can justify this pick.

Maurice had one good year

Injury concerns from just one year of play

Poor workouts

Significant amount of rust

Highly suspect character with several issues, including quitting

So, why draft Clarrett in the third? Those are a LOT of concerns. Where's the upside? A bad combine/workout deson't give hope. Good, but not outstanding collegiate year gives no hope. Numerous character issues does not give hope. Where is the upside? The simply fact is that a 3rd round pick for this player is completely unjustifiable. There were numerous other RBs with more heart, less injury concerns, more game film, and more integrity.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:51 AM   #384
rjolley
College Starter

Well, to look at the other side of grabbing Clarrett...you're getting a back who doesn't have the milage on him that other backs have in the draft, he did show a lot of promise in that one season, and if motivated, he could become a solid back. Maybe not a Pro Bowl runner, but solid.

Plus, where else could a running back go to put up great numbers? Seems like Shenahan and company get the most out of the talent they find at running back year after year. I think they'll get a lot out of Clarrett as well.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:52 AM   #385
Bad-example
College Starter

I think the 49ers did ok on day one. They got the QB that most expected them to get, and a RB to hopefully take some of the pressure off Barlow. In the 2nd and 4th rounds they beefed up on the OL, providing badly needed depth after watching their QBs take an awful pounding last season. I like the selection of Baas in particular, since he can play C and Newberry has had trouble staying healthy.

They still have plenty of needs, including NT (if they follow through on their plan to play a 3-4), WR, CB and S.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 01:18 AM   #386
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Tee Hee

I'm liking it too:

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 01:25 AM   #387
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
And the Jets . Usually you don't pick a kicker that early, but seeing what happened in the playoffs last year and taking someone who'll be Vinateri II is a very good strategy. And they got the CB everyone was saying they should have gotten later in the round.

Nugent was a horrible pick, way to early for a kicker to go. He shouldn't have even been considered for 2 more picks.

That said, I think Marcus Johnson should be solid for the Vikes. 320 pound guard with a mean streak, should fit in well replacing Dixon. Fox has a chance to catch on at safety if he can be more consistant than Willie Offord. Was solid at OSU, will be interesting to see if he can transfer that to the pro level.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:26 AM   #388
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Paging Morten Andersen *sighs*

Or hopefully 'Paging Tyler Jones' tomorrow
Old 04-24-2005, 01:46 AM   #389
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
Nugent was a horrible pick, way to early for a kicker to go. He shouldn't have even been considered for 2 more picks.

He would have been gone most likely by the Jets second 2nd round pick. Their kicking woes have been the stuff of legend, from John Hall to last year... it's been a disgrace. They had Nugent last year and they beat the Steelers. Simple as that.

So, IMO, a GREAT pick. Look at what Vinateri means to the Pats. I'm sure he's been more valuable than a few 2nd round picks they've made in the past.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:50 AM   #390
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
There is simply no way Denver can justify this pick.

Maurice had one good year

Injury concerns from just one year of play

Poor workouts

Significant amount of rust

Highly suspect character with several issues, including quitting

So, why draft Clarrett in the third? Those are a LOT of concerns. Where's the upside? A bad combine/workout deson't give hope. Good, but not outstanding collegiate year gives no hope. Numerous character issues does not give hope. Where is the upside? The simply fact is that a 3rd round pick for this player is completely unjustifiable. There were numerous other RBs with more heart, less injury concerns, more game film, and more integrity.

-Anxiety

Not sure where to start. The first line is 100% wrong.

Denver can justify this pick the same way any team can justify a pick that has been criticized: By developing the player into a solid player vs. the spot he was picked. Understand, he doesn't have to become a superstar in Denver. All he has to do is match up to the picks that fall around him. If he does, the pick is justified, no matter how much everyone else wants to complain about it.

According to more on ESPN, the Cowboys told Clarett and his agent they were taking him in the fourth round. His agents said there were teams sneaking around and showing interest. The Cowboys pick 8th in the fourth round. No way Denver is able to trade up to get him.

We'll never know if the Cowboys really would have made the pick, but the fact the rumors were there goes into what the Broncos might have been thinking.

As for Clarett the player. . . read the Scouts.Inc take on him. It's an interesting read. Look at these lines from his strengths:

Has good size and power as an inside runner. He lowers his shoulder, creates his own running room and pushes the pile in short-yardage situations. He has impressive vision and patience, allowing him to find backside creases and exploit defenses for over-pursuing him. Most impressive asset is his burst through the hole. He does an excellent job of getting through small creases in the line. Once through the hole, his ability to bounce outside and accelerate is uncanny. He is a smooth route runner with very good awareness in the short-passing game. Shows soft hands and the ability to adjust to the poorly thrown ball. Will snatch on the run and does a nice job of getting upfield right away. Is technically sound, aware and physical as a blocker. Is surprisingly efficient in this area for such an inexperienced player. Shows lateral movement skills to pick up the blitz. Shows good leverage at the point of attack and has good initial pop.

OK, so lets look at this. Good in short yardage (Denver SUCKED in short yardage last year). Good at hitting the hole. (all Denver backs must hit the hole, especially backside creases, it's the way the entire offense is set up). Good blocker who is good at picking up a blitz. (another must in the Denver scheme)

So what we have are the character flaws, which have been discussed at length. He quit at the combine. He threw Ohio State under the bus. He had some injury problems his first year.

The negative is why we all don't like the pick. The positive is what caused all the hoopla to begin with.

Denver's draft won't be made or broken by this pick. (I think it was already broken by the ridiculous picking of 3 CB's before that). It'll be determined by all of the players picked, as well as what they do with the two first rounders they have next year.

If he busts, Clarett is just another in the long line of guys picked 101 who didn't make it.

For kicks I went back and looked at pick #101 from 1998 on:

Jax - Tavian Banks, RB Iowa
StL - Joe Germaine, QB Ohio State
Den - Jerry Johnson, DT Florida State
NYJ - Jamie Henderson, CB Georgia
Cle - Kevin Bentley, LB Northwestern
Hou - Dominick Davis, RB LSU
Atl - Demorrio Williams, LB Nebraska

Davis is the best pick of the bunch, but he's got a lot to prove in the coming years.

If Mo becomes a star, which could very well happen if the Broncos history with picking RB's is any indication, a lot of people will be eating crow.

If he becomes an average player who develops into a special teamer and spot starter/backup, the Broncos made a solid pick.

If he busts, the Broncos already had some depth at RB and they took a flier on a guy.

This is about as low risk as you can get. The only thing making it high risk is the idiots out there who think the Broncos future has just been ruined because of one guy. Newsflash for everyone: That's been happening since John Elway retired.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:56 AM   #391
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I just don't see what anyone would see in Clarett.

-ONE season of college football (in which he suffered multiple injuries)
-legal run-ins with the NCAA and the law ($10,000 in stereo equipment anyone?)
-has not played football in two years
-turned around and blamed Ohio State for all of his woes
-showed up to combine #1 in horrible shape
-quit in the middle of combine #2 (yes, he's really matured)
-ran slow as shit at both the combine and his private workout

I just can't see how any team makes that pick with the other backs that are still out there. Maybe Denver works some magic here, but I'm willing to wager they will not.

I'm not crazy about the pick, but i'm just angry in general at the messege it sends.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:09 AM   #392
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000

I'm not crazy about the pick, but i'm just angry in general at the messege it sends.

What's that? That talent or potential will ALWAYS supercede anything else?

I don't like Clarett and I don't like the pick at all, but lets be realistic. His talent and his potential are the reason this pick was made.

You know one of the reasons I don't like this pick? Because I dislike the guy so much, but I understand that Denver rarely makes a mistake with a running back. I'd love for him to be a bust and fail miserably and for "karma" to rule the day.

But with what Denver does with RB's, I doubt he will bust. He comes into camp with his head on straight, he's probably going to get some carries this year and he'll probably be an important part of the offense sooner than later.

I hope to God he really has turned the corner emotionally, because there is nothing I hate more than cheering for bastards who play for my team. (I still cringe seeing Romanowski with the Super Bowl trophy)

We'll see. He's coming into the best situation he could have ever dreamed of being in. He's got the best system for an RB in the NFL. He's going to have great coaching from the RB spot. He has some decent leadership coming from Mike Anderson (a guy who also made some mistakes). And he's under no pressure from the organization to produce early. All he has to do is show up, keep his mouth shut and play.

I'll say nothing more about him until I see him at training camp. We'll see how good he is soon enough.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:16 AM   #393
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think Shanahan should have stole a page from Belichek's playbook and gone for a guy who was more 'team' oriented. Clarett doesn't strike me as that type. I think Sproules or Barber III would fit that better.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:10 AM   #394
Ragone
Pro Rookie

http://www.easports.com/games/madden2006/draft/home.jsp

Check out cedric benson's picture.. it looks like he is crying about the draft process still..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:36 AM   #395
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN article
The Broncos called with some questions, though. They asked [Clarett's agent] Feldman if Clarett was in good shape physically. Feldman said he was. Then they asked if Clarett's head was on straight. Feldman said it was.

Well, at least they did the thorough background check. Looks like a go!
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:41 AM   #396
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Clarett - in his only season - led Ohio State to a national title. Without him, they don't win it.

Period.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:57 AM   #397
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN article

Oh my....
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:58 AM   #398
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Since you are using Scouts Inc data, let's take a look at other RBs still available compared to Mo. Let's start with their overall ranking:

Ciatrick Fason, Florida: 79
Kay-Jay Harris, WVU: 76
Marion Barber III, Minnesota: 72
Good Ol Mo', Not OSU Anymore: 44

Not even close. This is where I said Mo looks good, but not great. Take a look at the same strengths for these three players:

Fason:

Has the size and overall physical tools to become extremely productive as a "between the tackles" runner. Shows good initial burst to and through the hole. Makes sharp cuts when he gets through the LOS and does a good job of bouncing runs to the outside. Shows good COD skills and the ability to hit the cutback with a quick plan-and-drive. Has adequate-to-good top end speed. Shows the potential to turn the corner in the NFL. More of a cut-and-burst runner that shows good vision in the open field and will make good cuts against the grain. Shows a bit of a second gear but won't run away from faster DB's. Is an excellent receiver out of the backfield. Still has room to improve in terms of recognition skills, but is a smooth route runner with excellent hands. Snatches the ball while on the run and also shows the ability to adjust to the poorly thrown ball. Has a lot of upside in this area. Had some nicks as a junior but has never missed a full game because of injury. Will need to do a better job of running with pad-level in order to protect his body in the NFL. However, he doesn't have a major injury to speak of and he also only had 311 carries in three collegiate seasons.

Kay Jay:

Is a raw talent who showed flashes. Has loads of upside if he continues to develop. Has a very good combination of size and speed. Has good initial burst, hits the hole hard and can be a load to take down when he runs with good pad level. Is as powerful as it gets when he runs low and delivers the blow. Is a good athlete for his size. Has a terrific vertical jump for his size. Is a tough runner with good initial power. Has decent hands as a receiver and is a big weapon when he gets the ball in space in the passing game. Also has the size and strength to become a good pass blocker if his awareness and angles improve.

Marion:

He possesses adequate size and adequate-to-good straight-line speed. He has the lower body strength to pick up yards after contact when he runs with leverage. Shows good burst to the line of scrimmage and adequate speed in the open field. Has the ability to change directions quickly and he is capable of making the first defender miss. Rarely drops passes that he should catch and has a good feel as a dump-off receiver that stays with his quarterback in the passing game. He has experience returning kickoffs as well as punts.

So, if you are the Denver GM, you say that Denvers wants a RB with good short yardage skills, a good blocker, and the ability to hit the hole. Fason looks like your man, plus Fason has speed, good hands, no previous injury concerns, the ability to turn corners, and so forth. Harris is a project but all three of his strengths are in alignment with what you what. Good blocker, good at hitting holes, and tough to bring down earily. Marion only seems to have some of the skills that you want, but he brings other things to the table, like special teams.

Therefore, of the top three RBs still on the board, both give Denver what you claim they need, but have many more skills, better upside, and aren't as much of a risk.

Incidentally, you may have noticed that I listed more issues than just the character one. There's injury questions. There's only one season of evaluation. There's been a lot of time between that year and now. There is the whole issue with a lousy combine. There are a lot of issues beyond character, although character is arguably enough of an issue to pass.

Even if Dallas is crazy enough to pull the Clarrett trigger, why should Denver play the game. Suppose that Denver *really* likes Mo. He has a much lower grade than three, and you don't get value by selecting him in the third round. If Dallas or another team really drafted him in the fourth, then they reached to do it, and you can take another RB. Alternatively, you could select a real RB, one who did well at the combine, one we've seen play in the past couple of years, etc. Of course, the whole "going in the fourth round" could be the typical April BS from scouts, agents, GMs, etc, in which case Denver got played.

BTW, I don't believe that Denver's future is ruined, I just believe that this was an amazingly stupid pick.

Either Denver got played, or they drafted a RB when other RBs fit their need more, had more upside, and less risk. Neither is an appealing proposition for them.

-Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Not sure where to start. The first line is 100% wrong.

Denver can justify this pick the same way any team can justify a pick that has been criticized: By developing the player into a solid player vs. the spot he was picked. Understand, he doesn't have to become a superstar in Denver. All he has to do is match up to the picks that fall around him. If he does, the pick is justified, no matter how much everyone else wants to complain about it.

According to more on ESPN, the Cowboys told Clarett and his agent they were taking him in the fourth round. His agents said there were teams sneaking around and showing interest. The Cowboys pick 8th in the fourth round. No way Denver is able to trade up to get him.

We'll never know if the Cowboys really would have made the pick, but the fact the rumors were there goes into what the Broncos might have been thinking.

As for Clarett the player. . . read the Scouts.Inc take on him. It's an interesting read. Look at these lines from his strengths:

Has good size and power as an inside runner. He lowers his shoulder, creates his own running room and pushes the pile in short-yardage situations. He has impressive vision and patience, allowing him to find backside creases and exploit defenses for over-pursuing him. Most impressive asset is his burst through the hole. He does an excellent job of getting through small creases in the line. Once through the hole, his ability to bounce outside and accelerate is uncanny. He is a smooth route runner with very good awareness in the short-passing game. Shows soft hands and the ability to adjust to the poorly thrown ball. Will snatch on the run and does a nice job of getting upfield right away. Is technically sound, aware and physical as a blocker. Is surprisingly efficient in this area for such an inexperienced player. Shows lateral movement skills to pick up the blitz. Shows good leverage at the point of attack and has good initial pop.

OK, so lets look at this. Good in short yardage (Denver SUCKED in short yardage last year). Good at hitting the hole. (all Denver backs must hit the hole, especially backside creases, it's the way the entire offense is set up). Good blocker who is good at picking up a blitz. (another must in the Denver scheme)

So what we have are the character flaws, which have been discussed at length. He quit at the combine. He threw Ohio State under the bus. He had some injury problems his first year.

The negative is why we all don't like the pick. The positive is what caused all the hoopla to begin with.

Denver's draft won't be made or broken by this pick. (I think it was already broken by the ridiculous picking of 3 CB's before that). It'll be determined by all of the players picked, as well as what they do with the two first rounders they have next year.

If he busts, Clarett is just another in the long line of guys picked 101 who didn't make it.

For kicks I went back and looked at pick #101 from 1998 on:

Jax - Tavian Banks, RB Iowa
StL - Joe Germaine, QB Ohio State
Den - Jerry Johnson, DT Florida State
NYJ - Jamie Henderson, CB Georgia
Cle - Kevin Bentley, LB Northwestern
Hou - Dominick Davis, RB LSU
Atl - Demorrio Williams, LB Nebraska

Davis is the best pick of the bunch, but he's got a lot to prove in the coming years.

If Mo becomes a star, which could very well happen if the Broncos history with picking RB's is any indication, a lot of people will be eating crow.

If he becomes an average player who develops into a special teamer and spot starter/backup, the Broncos made a solid pick.

If he busts, the Broncos already had some depth at RB and they took a flier on a guy.

This is about as low risk as you can get. The only thing making it high risk is the idiots out there who think the Broncos future has just been ruined because of one guy. Newsflash for everyone: That's been happening since John Elway retired.

Old 04-24-2005, 04:01 AM   #399
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Well, at least they did the thorough background check. Looks like a go!

Man, I wish all interviews were that strict.. imagine charles manson parole board meetings done by bronco's personnel

Denver Board: Do you feel like you are ready to get back into society and contribute

Manson:I want to eat you

Board: Do you think you will repeat your past crimes again if released

Manson:I'm going to kill your wife and children

Board:He seems fine to me.. let him out

Last edited by Ragone : 04-24-2005 at 04:22 AM.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 04:07 AM   #400
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

BTW, Amos Zereoue was a third round compensatory pick. I remember he was the last man taken a few years ago on the first night.

-Anxiety