Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #351
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, I don't watch any of the 82-game preseason, and only flit in and out of the postseason -- but I'm trying to follow indirectly as well as watch when I have time.

So... is Chris Andersen making himself a lot of money with this postseason effort? I would think so - he has been visually impressive to me, even beyond the shooting streak, he seems to occupy space and work hard. There's got to be a decent market for that, right?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #352
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

He has certainly increased his stock.

Eastern Conference finals 2013: Chris 'Birdman' Andersen a difference-maker - NBA - Ian Thomsen - SI.com
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #353
korme
Go Reds

Tough call. He can't really create on offense, he fouls a lot, and he's 32. Maybe a mid-level exception guy, but he's best used as a energy big off the bench. Really only valuable is on a contender, which is why Miami is such a good fit. A team with a bunch of cap space that can't realistically win a title next season should have no desire to get him.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #354
whomario
Pro Starter

I don´t see anybody offering him a lot. He´s going to be a 35 year old player depending on his athleticism. He´s the sort of player who won´t really apeal to bad teams (who mostly are those with cap space) as he´s not going to produce exponentially more with more minutes or develop any further. He also doesn´t have any "what a great veteran, we need him to help teach out young guys" thing going for him.
Heck, as great as he´s been: Even the Heat know better than to use him as anything more than strictly a backup, he still plays under 15 MPG in the playoffs.
And good teams by default are limited as to what they can pay anyway.

If i had to make a guess i´d think he gets at most some part of the MLE in the 9/3 range from either the Heat or maybe a team like the Clippers.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-28-2013 at 01:48 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #355
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Tough call. He can't really create on offense, he fouls a lot, and he's 32. Maybe a mid-level exception guy, but he's best used as a energy big off the bench. Really only valuable is on a contender, which is why Miami is such a good fit. A team with a bunch of cap space that can't realistically win a title next season should have no desire to get him.

If he does not come back to the Heat, I would love to see him as Bogut's backup. He is not a starting center at this point of his career. However if the NBA can find a spot for Brendon Haywood, Dasagana Diop, and Kwame Brown should be able to find a spot for Andersen.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #356
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I really don't see him making more than the vet minimum. I think Miami can bring him back if they want.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #357
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

That Manu pass was unbelievable, and I didn't even realise it went through Prince's legs until I saw that animated gif.

Spurs have a shot for sure. I'm officially on the bandwaggon.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #358
Groundhog
Coordinator

Andersen is a good shot blocker, OK defender, OK rebounder, and can finish around the basket. He benefits a great deal from LeBron's drive-and-dishes though.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #359
nol
Banned

He made himself some money in the sense that he was out of a job for the better part of this year and he'll definitely be in somebody's rotation next year. But yeah, he's been around the block enough that teams already know what they're going to get - a guy who can rebound, finish and be active for 10-15 minutes a game. Although, I remember reading some article where he said that he wants to work on his three-point shooting so he can be another floor spacer in Miami's offense. I'm cracking up just typing it, but it's gotten to the point where I'd believe just about anything coming from Birdman.

It will be interesting to see how the Pacers respond tonight; it's by far the biggest game each player on that roster has played and definitely a must-win. The only thing crazier than seeing the record the Heat have put together since the beginning of their winning streak is the fact that it only equals the pace the 95-96 Bulls kept up for an entire season.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #360
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 05-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #361
kingfc22
Head Coach

Joey Crawford doing his typical shitty job.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #362
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm not one to believe in conspiracy theories and the NBA, but this 4th qtr has got me wondering. Lots of very bad calls by the refs that should be obvious, IMO.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #363
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Joey Crawford doing his typical shitty job.

This completely mystifies me. The refs for the postseason are supposed to be the ones that get the highest grades in the regular season. But somehow Crawford is out there every year, even reffing Finals games despite the fact that he officiates with the singular goal of being the only referee casual NBA fans know by name. I've never watched a game and thought, "Gee, I'm glad Joey Crawford is the official tonight. He really has things under control." For chrissake, he once signaled a technical foul with such vigor he broke his finger. There is absolutely no way he is one of the six best officials in the league.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #364
Groundhog
Coordinator

The loss and his fouling out should be the motivation that LeBron needs to drop 35-40 points next game.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #365
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I'm not one to believe in conspiracy theories and the NBA, but this 4th qtr has got me wondering. Lots of very bad calls by the refs that should be obvious, IMO.

What's the conspiracy though? To create an interesting Eastern conference final at the risk of an Indiana/San Antonio final? Don't see the league office directing that one. Maybe it just shows how human refs are and how easy it is for them to get caught up in a moment. (I am going to assume you think the calls were bad against Miami)

Last edited by panerd : 05-29-2013 at 06:10 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #366
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
What's the conspiracy though? To create an interesting Eastern conference final at the risk of an Indiana/San Antonio final? Don't see the league office directing that one. Maybe it just shows how human refs are and how easy it is for them to get caught up in a moment. (I am going to assume you think the calls were bad against Miami)

I was talking about the refs making calls in favor of Miami. The Pacers were up 9 and Hibbert took a shot at the end of the shot clock. The refs missed the ball hitting the rim and the Pacers were called for a shot clock violation after Hansborough made a shot to put them up 11. After that, there was a series of fouls on 3-4 straight Pacers possessions that helped Miami tie the game. I was pretty sure Miami was going to win at this point.

Then, the refs made another series of shitty calls that helped the Pacers win. So, you may be right about refs being human. This was a terribly officiated game.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #367
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I was talking about the refs making calls in favor of Miami. The Pacers were up 9 and Hibbert took a shot at the end of the shot clock. The refs missed the ball hitting the rim and the Pacers were called for a shot clock violation after Hansborough made a shot to put them up 11. After that, there was a series of fouls on 3-4 straight Pacers possessions that helped Miami tie the game. I was pretty sure Miami was going to win at this point.

Then, the refs made another series of shitty calls that helped the Pacers win. So, you may be right about refs being human. This was a terribly officiated game.

Ah, ok was just reading the thread this morning and not in real time and didn't notice when you posted. Yes I agree the calls were pretty bad all around. Also agree with the disgust at Crawford being out there. Why not just throw Donaghy out there? Like the NFL I feel like the NBA is just arrogant about stuff like this but unlike the NFL their league doesn't enjoy the look the other way popularity. Not sure there's any conspiracy just David Stern thinking he can do whatever he wants because he's David Stern.

Last edited by panerd : 05-29-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #368
Desnudo
Coordinator

They're just setting the stage for a horribly one sided game 5. I wish I could bet on number of Miami free throws exceeds Indianas by 20.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #369
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This has all the makings of a 40-15-8 game by Lebron that Miami wins by 20.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #370
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Odd that Birdman didn't get tossed when they threw out Nazr Mohammed for less. Wonder what the difference could be. Hmmmmmmmmmm
Old 05-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #371
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Odd that Birdman didn't get tossed when they threw out Nazr Mohammed for less. Wonder what the difference could be. Hmmmmmmmmmm
It sucks, but it's the NBA. Flagrant act against a star > Flagrant act against a scrub.

Raja Bell just about decapitated a bench player for the Mavs the same season he half nelson-ed Kobe. He got no suspension vs the scrub, but a one-game vs Kobe. If Birdman shoves Paul George, he gets a tossed. He may still get suspended by the league though - but I doubt it.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #372
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Crossed the centerline in suburban Atlanta this afternoon, caused a head-on crash. Blaylock airlifted to nearby hospital, unresponsive & on life support
Former NBA star Mookie Blaylock on life support after Clayton... | www.ajc.com

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-31-2013 at 07:32 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #373
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Color me impressed with the league - they did the right thing and suspended the Birdman for game 6:

2013 NBA playoffs -- Miami Heat's Chris Andersen suspended for Game 6 - ESPN
Old 05-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #374
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Update on the Blaylock story from ajc.com

Quote:
By Friday evening, Blaylock’s condition had improved and he was in stable condition, Allen said. Blaylock has been under treatment for seizures, a family member told police. It was not immediately known if that contributed to the wreck or if Blaylock would face charges.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #375
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

it pisses me off that Mookie is driving round out there with a seizure disorder, crosses into traffic and kills a women and there is barely a mention of her and all these prayers for him. Perhaps he shouldn't have been driving
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #376
Danny
Head Coach

We don't know the details, perhaps his doctor said he was fine to drive with no risk involved.

Looks like about 2.5-3 million people of driving age in us who have some form of epilepsy. Wonder how many drive
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #377
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I realize it is speculation on my part, but the fact a women died is basically an afterthought pisses me off
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #378
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

well were 1 game away from David Sterns worst nightmare coming to fruition. a SA/INDY series. the only thing worse for him would be INDY/Memphis

i think theres no way Indy wins game 7 or that it will be close at the end, Stern will make sure
Old 06-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #379
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
i think theres no way Indy wins game 7 or that it will be close at the end, Stern will make sure

I hope so. I can't think of much that'd be less interesting than a SA/IND series.

I don't particularly care about Miami but at least they're vaguely interesting.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #380
Groundhog
Coordinator

As much as I want Pacers to beat Miami in Game 7... yeah, I do have to admit that a Spurs-Heat final at least gives me a team to cheer against.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #381
Groundhog
Coordinator

dola

LeBron with 35-40 and a Heat blow out in Game 7 is my gut instinct.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #382
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
well were 1 game away from David Sterns worst nightmare coming to fruition. a SA/INDY series. the only thing worse for him would be INDY/Memphis

I think there's no way they win game 7 because Lebron is on the other team.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #383
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
We don't know the details, perhaps his doctor said he was fine to drive with no risk involved.

Looks like about 2.5-3 million people of driving age in us who have some form of epilepsy. Wonder how many drive

Most states place restrictions on driving with a seizure disorder and requires a certain amount of time to pass seizure free before a person can legally drive.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #384
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Most states place restrictions on driving with a seizure disorder and requires a certain amount of time to pass seizure free before a person can legally drive.

Hmm, thanks for the info.

I do know even petite map seizures can cause 1-5 seconds of non awareness, so I understand this may have been a stupid act, I just don't want to rush to judgements yet. Definitely awfu someone died though
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #385
nol
Banned

One thing that started happening toward the end of tonight's game that I think bodes well for the Heat in Game 7 is that LeBron was much more aggressive at taking it to the rim when Hibbert was in there (even the play where he got the offensive + technical foul was pretty clearly a foul on Hibbert). I think the Heat will win, but not in a blowout. You simply cannot underestimate the ability the rest of the Heat have to make things difficult regardless of how well LeBron plays. When was the last time a team won a playoff series despite having the matchup advantage at only one of the five positions on the floor?

This game really encapsulated what I think is the main difference, for better or worse, between LeBron and Jordan. LeBron has the ability to make "the texbook basketball play" a higher percentage of the time than anyone else, Jordan included, thanks to his physical attributes and passing ability. What I mean by this is that in the first quarter of the game, he traveled once because Haslem led him directly into Lance Stephenson with an outlet pass, he had one layup roll in and out (which turned into the Paul George posterization of Bosh after Joel Anthony couldn't corral the offensive rebound that hit him in the chest), and he missed a long three as time expired. Other than that, he was scoring, passing it to an open three point shooter, or passing it to someone closer to the basket who has a 3-on-2 or 2-on-1 opportunity.

In a world where all the other players are equally competent, that's perfect, unstoppable offense. In the real world, MJ has the major edge because he realized that taking a tough shot was a better play percentage-wise than dumping it off to a Joel Anthony or a struggling D-Wade. If LeBron is going to up his scoring and carry the Heat in Game 7, it will more than likely have to come from an uglier, 14-35 with 10+ free throws performance than from being scorching hot like he was in Game 6 against the Celtics last year.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #386
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hmm ... I wonder if Hibbert gets to play in game 7 or if he'll be shipped off to sensitivity training
Old 06-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #387
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Hmm ... I wonder if Hibbert gets to play in game 7 or if he'll be shipped off to sensitivity training

no, he will get into foul trouble early
Old 06-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #388
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Mookie Blaylock will face charges relating to the fatal head-on crash. His condition was upgraded from critical to serious but he will at least be charged with driving on a suspended license. He's also got an outstanding warrant for failure to appear in another county where he was facing drug & DUI charges. Police do not believe alcohol was a factor in Friday's crash however.

Former NBA star Mookie Blaylock faces charges in crash | www.ajc.com
Old 06-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #389
miami_fan
Coordinator

So are they pro Heat or pro Pacer?

Tonight's refs

Scott Foster, Ken Mauer, Mike Callahan

Let's be proactive in calling them one sided.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #390
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Tonight's refs

Why?
Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #391
larrymcg421
Head Coach

One thing I do know about tonight is that the Miami Heat cannot possibly legitimately get more free throws than the Pacers tonight. If they do, it will only be because David Stern ordered it to be that way.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #392
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
One thing I do know about tonight is that the Miami Heat cannot possibly legitimately get more free throws than the Pacers tonight. If they do, it will only be because David Stern ordered it to be that way.
Depends on if Wade decides to finally show up. If he and Lebron get Hibbert into foul trouble, I could see Miami get FTs. Pacers have shot more FTs in every game but one (they were -1 in game 6), so I bet they do shoot more if it's close.

However, check out the home-away splits:

3 games in Indiana:
Pacers +21 on Free Throw attempts
Heat called for 12 more fouls than Indiana

3 games in Miami:
Pacers +14 on Free Throw attempts
Pacers called for 6 more fouls than Indiana

So, it's pretty clear the home team is getting a Lion's share of the calls this series. The Heat have also shot 48% at home and 43% in Indiana. Indiana has shot 48% at home and 46% on the road. I'm guessing one of Allen, Miller or Battier will be on from 3 and one of Chamlers/Cole will also come to play. I think Wade finally has a decent game but Bosh has another no-show.

In the end, Lebron will be too much and the Heat will win by 5-7.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #393
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Tonight's refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

I chuckled.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #394
RedKingGold
College Starter

Put me down for Heat in blowout.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #395
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

In fairness, Scott Foster was likely involved in the betting scandal that involved fixing NBA games.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #396
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Depends on if Wade decides to finally show up. If he and Lebron get Hibbert into foul trouble, I could see Miami get FTs. Pacers have shot more FTs in every game but one (they were -1 in game 6), so I bet they do shoot more if it's close.

However, check out the home-away splits:

3 games in Indiana:
Pacers +21 on Free Throw attempts
Heat called for 12 more fouls than Indiana

3 games in Miami:
Pacers +14 on Free Throw attempts
Pacers called for 6 more fouls than Indiana

So, it's pretty clear the home team is getting a Lion's share of the calls this series. The Heat have also shot 48% at home and 43% in Indiana. Indiana has shot 48% at home and 46% on the road. I'm guessing one of Allen, Miller or Battier will be on from 3 and one of Chamlers/Cole will also come to play. I think Wade finally has a decent game but Bosh has another no-show.

In the end, Lebron will be too much and the Heat will win by 5-7.

Too much solid research and information. David Stern wants Miami to win and he will call in the black helicopters to make sure it happens.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #397
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

if there was a betting line on how quickly Hibbert picks up 2 fouls in the 1st quater and how quicky he gets another once he comes back in, id take the under
Old 06-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #398
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm hoping for 2 borderline calls against Hibbert in the first 4 minutes much in the same way I always hope someone breaks up a no hitter with a bunt in the bottom of the 9th. It's fun to see the crazies freak out.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #399
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah I am also interested on how exactly this goes down. David Stern calls a meeting of the refs every playoffs to tell them how to officiate and nobody ever blows the whistle on the operation? The Pac-12 had a leak about a lead official just saying he would give a vacation away and this would be outright giving the game to Miami. When the people come out of the shadows tonight and claim its rigged please do explain how they go about pulling it off as well.

Home teams always get more calls and so do superstars. That is a plausible explanation. David Stern, a little over the top.

Last edited by panerd : 06-03-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #400
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yeah I am also interested on how exactly this goes down. David Stern calls a meeting of the refs every playoffs to tell them how to officiate and nobody ever blows the whistle on the operation? The Pac-12 had a leak about a lead official just saying he would give a vacation away and this would be outright giving the game to Miami. When the people come out of the shadows tonight and claim its rigged please do explain how they go about pulling it off as well.

Home teams always get more calls and so do superstars. That is a plausible explanation. David Stern, a little over the top.

So you don't believe in relatively simple, small (could be 2-3 people) sports conspiracies, but believe in vast government conspiracies involving big agencies and thousands of employees (if not dozens of directors of agencies)???