Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #351
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Yeah, not really getting all the hate for Will Ferrell. I thought it was known that he was only doing 4 episodes, so he is in no way supposed to be the final replacement. And I actually like the fact that he has, in no way tried to upstage Steve Carrell's role in his last few episodes.

And for me, Ricky Gervais would be perfect. I am hoping that the meeting in the hallway with him in that one episode is foreshadowing.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #352
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Will Arnett ftw! He's been cast on a pilot where he plays a stay-at-home husband with Christina Applegate, so it's probably not gonna happen.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #353
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

end of an era
zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #354
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Cute episode, but idk...felt kind of underwhelmed
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:16 AM   #355
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I loved it. I thought it was a really sweet and fitting ending, with the underlying optimism that differentiated this Office from its British counterpart. And the fact that Pam got the last goodbye is what hit it home for me - as someone on the AV club pointed out, michael going to Pam's art show is still one of the best moment's I've ever seen on TV. There was a mutual self-belief there that was...endearing.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #356
Swaggs
Coordinator

There were a few funny parts (Toby's conversation with his brother over the internet was really funny to me and Creed coming out of the ladies' bathroom and telling Gabe it wasn't cool to be in there) and I liked the paint ball part with Dwight, but overall I didn't like it very well. It felt too out of character for Michael and like they were really reaching to get the full ensemble packed in.

I'll watch it again with my wife and hopefully, I will like it better.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #357
samifan24
Pro Starter

I tuned in for last night's episode after not watching much of the last two seasons (because I lost interest and thought the writers ran out of ideas) and was also underwhelmed. I did like Pam's goodbye, though. Pam and Michael were always the closest, in my opinion, and I'm glad they took Michael's mic off for the goodbye.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #358
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

It was fine I thought. Had its moments. Love how Creed is holding up the mug Michael threw away at the end. Thought Jim/Michael's goodbye was well done, as well as Pam's.

Will Ferrel is still horrible on this show.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:51 AM   #359
Mountaineer
n00b

Seriously, another new cast member? Jordyn?

So, now they have a total of 3 secretaries working there? (Erin, Pam, and now Jordyn)

Last edited by Mountaineer : 05-12-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #360
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post

So, now they have a total of 3 secretaries working there? (Erin, Pam, and now Jordyn)

Unless you have heard something different I got the impression that she was there for just the one epiosode as Will Ferrell's assistant. My guess is that she won't be back.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #361
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Unless you have heard something different I got the impression that she was there for just the one epiosode as Will Ferrell's assistant. My guess is that she won't be back.

Nope, she is going to be a recurring role at the very least, with at least two more new staffers coming next year.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #362
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I actually liked the last weeks episode quite a bit, maybe Will without Michael is not so bad afterall.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #363
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I actually liked the last weeks episode quite a bit, maybe Will without Michael is not so bad afterall.

Me too. My opinion is that Farrell didn't want to upstage Carrell on his last shows but was allowed to be a little more like Farrell last week. I wish we would have gotten a few more epiosodes of him. I don't really mind any of the actors they have coming in for the finale but think they will all have dumb two minute segments like most shows that try to overdo it. (Shades of the stupid Jack Black movie with the old lady from a few seasons ago)
Old 05-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #364
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post

Pam is the office manager, not a secretary...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #365
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Me too. My opinion is that Farrell didn't want to upstage Carrell on his last shows but was allowed to be a little more like Farrell last week. I wish we would have gotten a few more epiosodes of him. I don't really mind any of the actors they have coming in for the finale but think they will all have dumb two minute segments like most shows that try to overdo it. (Shades of the stupid Jack Black movie with the old lady from a few seasons ago)

I would agree with your opinion. I would have liked a few more episodes with him myself.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #366
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Over the last few weeks, I finally caught up on all of the episodes of this show. Say, the last 9-10 or so. I've really enjoyed this season. The show is not where it was in seasons 2 and 3, but I still enjoy it.

I thought they handled the whole Michael/Holly thing exceptionally well. There was a lot more toned down and compotent Michael in those episodes, which is always a good sign. The show has always worked better when he's more of a person and less of a caricature.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #367
Swaggs
Coordinator

I thought this week's was an excellent episode.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:30 AM   #368
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I enjoyed this week's episode, but the massage bit was Two and a Half Men worthy. That being said, Kevin was... awesome.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #369
Logan
Head Coach

One of my favorite episodes in a while.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #370
GrantDawg

Creed! Behind the desk!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #371
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Creed! Behind the desk!

Obviously a whole show would lose steam fast but it would be great if they at least start next weeks show with a Creed staff meeting or Creed talking to Jim or Dwight in his office. That ending was classic. Great episode.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #372
Logan
Head Coach

Guessing next week's credits will end with Creed adjusting Michael's "world's best boss" mug.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #373
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Guessing next week's credits will end with Creed adjusting Michael's "world's best boss" mug.

I am looking forward to that, too.

I had noticed that they totally scrubbed Carrell out of the credits last week (w/ Ferrell in at the end and then Dwight this week). I'd love to see Creed get the final scene in the credits.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #374
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Creed! Behind the desk!

I know! How awesome is that? The person with most seniority, ahahahaha Really enjoyed this episode as well.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #375
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Very good episode indeed!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #376
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I think this episode shows how much the cast can stand up and be a fantastic ensemble without a "head" guy. Not that I ever though Carrell was the "lead", but you get my point. This was one of the best (if not THE best) episode of the season and hopefully a good lead-in to what should be a good (if done right) finale.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #377
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Last episode was great. Really showcased the cast well. Always felt Michael was the character that held the show back over the past few seasons.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #378
Scarecrow
College Prospect

I'm starting to think a James Spader character similar to what he played on Boston Legal would be great for The Office.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #379
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
I'm starting to think a James Spader character similar to what he played on Boston Legal would be great for The Office.

I agreed with this at the time I read it, and after seeing tonight's episode, I agree even more. I think a character of his dynamic would be fun.

I think they did really well with all the guests tonight (although I wanted to see more Carrey, that seemed random at the end, heh) and it will be interesting to see who they end up going with.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #380
Swaggs
Coordinator

Loved seeing a little more Creed than usual and, surprisingly since I didn't really like him at first, I hope Gabe returns.

Did anyone else get the feeling that they were foreshadowing Pam to become the manager? She kind of keeps things together, even though she is not very good at sales.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #381
Logan
Head Coach

Everything involving Creed was a hit for me...everything else was a complete miss. I couldn't wait for it to end.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:38 AM   #382
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Everything involving Creed was a hit for me...everything else was a complete miss. I couldn't wait for it to end.

Outside of Creed, I agree. It kept dragging, way too may "guest" stars, and just seem likes they're throwing stuff at the wall hoping it sticks. This is the first season I haven't followed as closely.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #383
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Loved seeing a little more Creed than usual and, surprisingly since I didn't really like him at first, I hope Gabe returns.

Did anyone else get the feeling that they were foreshadowing Pam to become the manager? She kind of keeps things together, even though she is not very good at sales.

I didn't like the Gabe character at all and won't miss him much if he is gone for good. I also didn't get the vibe that I thought Pam would be managing. With Jim tied up in the interviews, she seemed like the best choice for the person to keep Creed from imploding the company, that is all that I got from those scenes.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #384
darkenigma510
n00b

I more got the impression maybe Jim would take over since he was the only one who seemed to be taking the hiring process seriously...I think they foreshadowed it a few times in the episode although i am sure they are swerves to keep us guessing
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #385
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenigma510 View Post
I more got the impression maybe Jim would take over since he was the only one who seemed to be taking the hiring process seriously...I think they foreshadowed it a few times in the episode although i am sure they are swerves to keep us guessing

Jim won't take the pay cut. Pam isn't up, either. My guess is Daryl, though Andy might be the surprise pick. I was surprised they pulled Gabe out, but they did leave it as he was still their liason, so he'll be back.

James Spader rocked! He was too funny. He won't be casted, but he was great in that cameo. He needs a new show.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #386
Philliesfan980
Banned

I guess i'm in the minority, but I liked the episode, and have pretty much liked the direction the show has taken after Michael left.

I'm excited for the next season.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #387
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
I guess i'm in the minority, but I liked the episode, and have pretty much liked the direction the show has taken after Michael left.

I'm excited for the next season.

I don't think you are the minority at all. I thought it was a great episode.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 05-20-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #388
PineTar
High School JV

I'm w/ the excellents.
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #389
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

thumbs up for me as well
Old 05-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #390
Galaxy
Coordinator

Interesting Ricky Gervais take on the finale:

Ricky Gervais Criticizes 'The Office' Season Finale - Hollywood Reporter

Last edited by Galaxy : 05-20-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #391
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Someone make Gervais go away. Do you need to be British to be able to stand him?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:27 AM   #392
Philliesfan980
Banned

I have an issue with this. He has absolutely no problem taking a paycheck from the show, but now suddenly he thinks the show is basically just a light show, while his was a work of art?

To me, this sounds like sour grapes, because while I don't have the numbers, it seems as though the US version really kicked the british version's ass in terms of overall popularity. I also don't think the guy is funny or really talented at all. Not sure what all the big fuss is about him.

Last edited by Philliesfan980 : 05-21-2011 at 05:27 AM.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:51 AM   #393
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
I have an issue with this. He has absolutely no problem taking a paycheck from the show, but now suddenly he thinks the show is basically just a light show, while his was a work of art?

To me, this sounds like sour grapes, because while I don't have the numbers, it seems as though the US version really kicked the british version's ass in terms of overall popularity. I also don't think the guy is funny or really talented at all. Not sure what all the big fuss is about him.

I don't think that I have ever found him funny in a single show/act/movie that I have seen him on.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #394
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Yeah, he just comes off sounding like a sore loser there. I am excited to see how they go with things next year. The more I think about it, the more I think promoting someone from within and showcasing the cast as they have done the last few episodes sans-Carrell would be the best direction. There are some funny rarely-used cast members on the show that would be fun to delve into.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #395
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

ryan calling jim "james" was awesome.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #396
GrantDawg

So, reports are they want Catherine Tate if they can work around her schedule. Eek.

For those not sure who she is, she was the British woman that interviewed that you wondered if you should have known but couldn't place. She was on Dr. Who and she did have her own sketch comedy show. I am sure she is funny, but really? They are just bound and determined to cast a "flake" character in that role. I could see how they could use her (she doesn't know what she is doing, so everyone ends up taking up her slack and protecting the office from her). But I wish they'd hire either from within, or maybe someone like Spader and really take the job to another direction.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #397
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Huh, I thought she was amusing for that bit cameo. I don't think I could take more than 10 minutes of that character though.

And yeah totally agree. I'd rather than hire from within and Spader was awesome.

Last edited by jeff061 : 05-21-2011 at 10:40 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #398
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think they need to decide how much longer they want the show to run. They could probably swing for the fences and pull in a big-time outsider if they do one more season or, if they want it to continue to run, they could go with Darrell, Andy, or Dwight (or Jim).

The problem is going to be that several of those characters have pretty good movie careers going right now, so they could probably lose any of the primary characters or Darrell (although, Ed Helms and Craig Robinson are probably still under their initial contracts) at any time.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #399
Swaggs
Coordinator

Dola... I didn't realize that the older guy (that was negotiating mileage) was actually Warren Buffett.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #400
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I think they can build an interesting character with Tate and what works with her that you don't have with a bigger name is that she doesn't have to be the center of the show. With a bigger name, they'd have to be in every episode and get a big portion of the storylines. But with Tate, they can make it even more of an ensemble show than it has been.

As for Gervais, he's always praised the show for being really good before, so I'm not sure what's up his ass now. There's no doubt it's easier to keep a show consistently good when you only do 14 episodes, and even at that, he's the one who stuck an artificially happy ending for his main character in the finale.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote