Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #351
Izulde
Head Coach

Man, I'm bummed about the OT loss. I mean yeah, I figured we'd go 7-9 at best on the year, but when you have a game like that within reach, to lose just really, really sucks.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #352
14ers
High School Varsity

Anyone know if the NFL tests officials? Ed Hochuli looks like he has been dipping into the HGH pool on Sunday night's game.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #353
molson
General Manager

I'm glad he didn't challenge

I'm tired of the logic embraced by many announcers and coaches - "You HAVE to challenge, because it was such a huge play".

Last edited by molson : 09-09-2007 at 07:50 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #354
TroyF
Coordinator

It's stunning to me. Jones runs around and barely skirts four yards a carry in a good game, while Barber hangs out around the 5 mark and everyone on the
Cowboys acts as though Jones is the better back.

Of course, when they get down in the red zone, they decide to give it to the back who is best at getting yardage. Today they've pounded it with Jones for a nice 2.6 a pop and Barber got 7 yards on his only carry. Oh well, whatever they want I guess.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #355
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I still can't believe they took Jones instead of Steven Jackson.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #356
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Obviously, I'm not a Dallas fan, but I think it is because Jerry Jones is calling the shots which makes me very happy.

Actually Jerry is a big Barber fan and it is Wade Philips that fell in love with Julius Jones during camp/preseason.

Fire Ron Lee.

Last edited by TazFTW : 09-09-2007 at 08:13 PM.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #357
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Barber, yes!!!! Fantasy points baby!

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #358
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... Barber really showing why he should be the starter.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:16 PM   #359
hoopsguy
General Manager

Yep, nothing against Jones but Barber looks like a beast every time I watch him play.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #360
TroyF
Coordinator

Funny thing is I actually wouldn't mind it if Dallas used Jones as the short yardage back and Barber as the every down back. When I watch the two runners, there is never any doubt in my mind about who the best one is.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #361
bhlloy
Coordinator

What are the Giants doing having Kiwanuka out there on obvious passing downs? He looks like he's trying to cover Witten on ice. I don't like him as a linebacker in a 4-3 anyway, but having him trying to play pass coverage is suicidal.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #362
MikeVic
Head Coach

Oh oh... Jacobs out.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #363
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Actually Jerry is a big Barber fan and it is Wade Philips that fell in love with Julius Jones during camp/preseason.

That is surprising. I thought with Parcells gone that Jones was calling most of the shots.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #364
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

kevin everett's out of surgery and in intensive care...12-24 hours till we know more per bob costas
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #365
MikeVic
Head Coach

They just said Everett had surgery, and is in intensive care for the next 12-24 hours. With him the best!

edit: Oops, beaten to the news. Still wish him good luck!!

Last edited by MikeVic : 09-09-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #366
Celeval
Pro Starter

Nice catch by Owens on that score.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #367
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Make some FF owners happy.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:25 PM   #368
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow the Titans beat the Jags in Jacksonville. They held the Jags to 48 yards rushing and 200 passing not bad. All the while they piled up 282 yards on the ground 175 of that from Chris Brown. That is all the more impressive since VY only had 22 yards on the ground. The jags were like 8-1 on opening day at home.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:55 PM   #369
Celeval
Pro Starter

Nice second half for T.O.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:57 PM   #370
Raiders Army
Coordinator

That's pretty much game over. The Giants D looks really tired. If this were Madden, they'd all show up red in the playcalling screen.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:17 PM   #371
Celeval
Pro Starter

That interception is keeping the Giants in the game - but they really need a touchdown here, I think, for the momentum if nothing else.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:18 PM   #372
Celeval
Pro Starter

Speaking of which...
Old 09-09-2007, 10:19 PM   #373
Andiamo
n00b

Great for TO - maybe his head will get so big, it'll explode
Andiamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:21 PM   #374
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

lol, and I thought having Dallas D on my fantasy team was a good thing.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:25 PM   #375
sabotai
General Manager

The Giants defense is so fucking bad. RW McQuarters has got to be the worst starting CB in the league.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #376
st.cronin
General Manager

Jared Lorenzen!

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #377
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Pillsbury Throwboy!
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:28 PM   #378
MikeVic
Head Coach

This guy is huge!
Old 09-09-2007, 10:31 PM   #379
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Go Hefty Lefty!
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:33 PM   #380
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

You are a 285lb (or 265?) QB, and you slide on your knees like a little girl? You get up like the big lard of man that you are and absorb the hit with your girth to get that first down. He could have had that thing.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #381
JS19
College Prospect

I was too disgusted by the Giants D to finish watcing this game. Any word on the injuries to Osi, Jacobs and Eli?
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:53 PM   #382
Celeval
Pro Starter

Coughlin in press conference: Brandon Jacobs hurt his MCL, no more details.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:03 PM   #383
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
Coughlin in press conference: Brandon Jacobs hurt his MCL, no more details.

That sucks. Although I didn't see the Giants being a playoff team this yr, it's still a big blow to the team. He was about the only thing I was looking forward to this yr, seeing how he can do as a full time RB.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:16 AM   #384
kingfc22
Head Coach

Less than 24 hours until kickoff. It's been awhile since I've been able to go to a Monday night game.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:18 AM   #385
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Less than 24 hours until kickoff. It's been awhile since I've been able to go to a Monday night game.

I'm very jealous.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:56 AM   #386
Izulde
Head Coach

FUCK! I fucking hate you jackasses right now, Romo and Owens. You just assfucked me out of an opening fantasy win.

(Unless Vernon Davis does for crap and Larry Fitzgerald goes apeshit to the tune of like 30 points)

Old 09-10-2007, 04:08 AM   #387
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, my asshole feels sore right now with my opponent having a combo of Owens, Romo and Burress from that game. I figured it would be a tight week, but I'm probably going to lose by about 35 cause of Romo.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:52 AM   #388
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

It's real hard being a Browns fan... they are just sooo far away of being competitive team

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:59 AM   #389
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
It's real hard being a Browns fan... they are just sooo far away of being competitive team

They should have kept Lang Campbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:06 AM   #390
QuikSand
lolzcat

A couple of thoughts from a bird's-eye view of the Washington-Miami game this weekend, on beyond the obvious stuff you could gather from the box scores (like the fact that both offenses are nearly impotent).

-Washington is giddy with London Fletcher as a tackler. And he is a good tackler. What is going unreported is that he is, to my eye, just dreadful in coverage. Miami did not have a particularly impressive passing attack on the day (Chris Chambers seems to be the only reliable downfield receiver on the team, period), the one thing they could just *bank* the whole afternoon was a release valve receiver right underneath the Fletcher's zone for about 5-7 yards. I think Fletcher got credited with an impressive 12 tackles on the day, but I'd hazard that at least 6-8 of them came after he just completely conceded the catch (many of these were not pointless 7 yard receptions when it was 3rd and 12, but meaningful gains) underneath, usually to Jesse Chatman (who seemed very, very effective in his many roles, prior to getting dinged late in the game). If I'm a redskins fan (which I'm not), I'd be worried that while their defense looked pretty good overall, there's a serious and very exploitable liability in passing situations right over the middle, and bringing up a safety to help there probably exposes other problems.

-The Dolphins players hate Ted Ginn. He got an ungodly signing bonus (the number that pro players focus on, properly) and he is barely a part of that team. He cannot run patterns, clearly. His role in the offense was only as a decoy. And in the return game, there was a tell-tale moment. He bounced a kickoff return outside, and bolted left to get to about the 50 yard line. In his first game, if this had been a 7th round draft pick or some free agent pickup, the team would have been smacking his ass like there's no tomorrow. instead, a total of one player even approached Ginn with congratulations, and it was the guy making the lead block at the conclusion of the play (who basically had no choice). I'm convinced that his teammates resent him, whether it's due to him being to widely trashed as a thrown-away pick by the talking heads, or maybe he's just perceived as a show pony... he is definitely unpopular in that locker room. A few return TDs or game-breaking plays, and perhaps all will be forgiven -- but right now, they al just wish the team had selected a "football player" in that slot, rather than whatever this kid Ginn is.

Last edited by QuikSand : 09-10-2007 at 10:12 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:09 AM   #391
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
A couple of thoughts from a bird's-eye view of the Washington-Miami game this weekend, on beyond the obvious stuff you could gather from the box scores (like the fact that both offenses are nearly impotent).

-Washington is giddy with London Fletcher as a tackler. And he is a good tackler. What is going unreported is that he is, to my eye, just dreadful in coverage. Miami did not have a particularly impressive passing attack on the day (Chris Chambers seems to be the only reliable downfield receiver on the team, period), the one thing they could just *bank* the whole afternoon was a release valve receiver right underneath the Fletcher's zone for about 5-7 yards. I think Fletcher got credited with an impressive 12 tackles on the day, but I'd hazard that at least 6-8 of them came after he just completely conceded the catch (many of these were not pointless 7 yard receptions when it was 3rd and 12, but meaningful gains) underneath, usually to Jesse Chatman (who seemed very, very effective in his many roles, prior to getting dinged late in the game). If I'm a redskins fan (which I'm not), I'd be worried that while there defense looked pretty good overall, there's a serious and very exploitable liability in passing situations right over the middle, and bringing up a safety to help there probably exposes other problems.

-The Dolphins players hate Ted Ginn. He got an ungodly signing bonus (the number that pro players focus on, properly) and he is barely a part of that team. He cannot run patterns, clearly. His role in the offense was only as a decoy. And in the return game, there was a tell-tale moment. He bounced a kickoff return outside, and bolted left to get to about the 50 yard line. In his first game, if this had been a 7th round draft pick or some free agent pickup, the team would have been smacking his ass like there's no tomorrow. instead, a total of one player even approached Ginn with congratulations, and it was the guy making the lead block at the conclusion of the play (who basically had no choice). I'm convinced that his teammates resent him, whether it's due to him being to widely trashed as a thrown-away pick by the talking heads, or maybe he's just perceived as a show pony... he is definitely unpopular in that locker room. A few return TDs or game-breaking plays, and perhaps all will be forgiven -- but right now, they al just wish the team had selected a "football player" in that slot, rather than whatever this kid Ginn is.

A fucking glorified returner.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #392
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

-Washington is giddy with London Fletcher as a tackler. And he is a good tackler. What is going unreported is that he is, to my eye, just dreadful in coverage. Miami did not have a particularly impressive passing attack on the day (Chris Chambers seems to be the only reliable downfield receiver on the team, period), the one thing they could just *bank* the whole afternoon was a release valve receiver right underneath the Fletcher's zone for about 5-7 yards. I think Fletcher got credited with an impressive 12 tackles on the day, but I'd hazard that at least 6-8 of them came after he just completely conceded the catch (many of these were not pointless 7 yard receptions when it was 3rd and 12, but meaningful gains) underneath, usually to Jesse Chatman (who seemed very, very effective in his many roles, prior to getting dinged late in the game). If I'm a redskins fan (which I'm not), I'd be worried that while there defense looked pretty good overall, there's a serious and very exploitable liability in passing situations right over the middle, and bringing up a safety to help there probably exposes other problems.

Spot-On assessment from what I saw. I'm baffled as to why they let Mitchell go late in the pre-season. For whatever his flaws were, he was at least better than Fletcher at pass coverage - which could have been valuable in these 3rd and long situations. My other concern is that as nice as it is to see Smoot back in a Redskins uniform, he's definitely lost a step. He plays off of the receivers and was giving a sizeable cushion on almost every play. This is the reason Chambers had so many balls thrown his way. Smoot just cannot play tight on elite receivers is what it looks like - which is particularly concerning since he seems to have suplanted Shawn Springs (which is a total shock to me).

The good things I saw from the defense:

- I'm guessing Carlos Rogers is finally improving his coverage. That or Cameron/Green just didn't bother throwing his way. Unfortunately with TV coverage it is hard to tell since you cannot see the whole field, but I have to assume that with so few balls thrown his way he must have been doing a pretty good job.

- No major blown assignments by the safeties - let's face it, it seemed to happen at least a few times a game last year.

Anyway, I do agree with your assessment - they seem overall improved, but that weakness is definitely there. As soon as we play a team that can exploit it (uh, Philly on Monday night anybody) it could really be a problem.

On the offensive side - I like what I see from Campbell. I think a lot of talking heads (and some here?) think he can't be a big time QB. I saw a rocket of an arm that can deliver very precise deep throws that is improving on his touch (although clearly he let quite a few short passes sail on him). The two INT's arguably were not his fault - one was a miscommunication between him and Cooley and one looked like Brandon Lloyd didn't do what you expect a tall, big-contract WR to do - go up and get the damned ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #393
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
If I'm a redskins fan (which I'm not), I'd be worried that while there defense looked pretty good overall, there's a serious and very exploitable liability in passing situations right over the middle, and bringing up a safety to help there probably exposes other problems.

GRAMMAR POLICE! WEE WOOO WEEE WOOO!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #394
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I've got a question about the end of the Broncos game: why didn't they spike the ball rather than rushing the kicking unit out onto the field? I know it worked, and that it was fun and exciting, but wouldn't it have been safer to have Cutler run up, spike the ball to kill the clock, and then get the field goal set up properly?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #395
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I almost feel sorry for Ginn. Almost. I don't think that a few game breaking plays or return TDs is going to do the trick. Ginn, fair or not, is going to be compared to not only the other receivers taking after him. Among Dolphin fans and players, he is going to be compared to Wes Welker. At the very least he has to come close to the numbers that Welker put up last year with a supposedly inferior QB situation.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #396
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

I guess that's a better assessment.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #397
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I've got a question about the end of the Broncos game: why didn't they spike the ball rather than rushing the kicking unit out onto the field? I know it worked, and that it was fun and exciting, but wouldn't it have been safer to have Cutler run up, spike the ball to kill the clock, and then get the field goal set up properly?

I think they wanted to kick on 3rd down maybe?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #398
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think they wanted to kick on 3rd down maybe?

It was actually first down when he kicked (according to the ESPN.com gamelog)

The only thing I can think of is this is something they practiced a lot, and Elam was really comfortable with it.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #399
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

The Cowboys-Giants game ran the whole gamut of emotions. Romo was pretty inaccurate early in the game, but seemed to improve as the game went on. The Dallas defense is going to be hopeless without Newman, Ellis, and now Jason Ferguson likely out for the season (the backup NT was possibly the shakiest spot on the team depth-wise, though you could argue QB and CB as well). There was little pressure on Manning all night and they made the Giants' 2nd/3rd string RB look like Barry Sanders. The offense looked pretty impressive, though it's hard to tell how impressive as the Giants' defense looked absolutely awful when Dallas was passing.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #400
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
The Cowboys-Giants game ran the whole gamut of emotions. Romo was pretty inaccurate early in the game, but seemed to improve as the game went on. The Dallas defense is going to be hopeless without Newman, Ellis, and now Jason Ferguson likely out for the season (the backup NT was possibly the shakiest spot on the team depth-wise, though you could argue QB and CB as well). There was little pressure on Manning all night and they made the Giants' 2nd/3rd string RB look like Barry Sanders. The offense looked pretty impressive, though it's hard to tell how impressive as the Giants' defense looked absolutely awful when Dallas was passing.

So... Ward isn't a good pickup at RB, now that Jacobs is out for a few weeks?