Head Coach

I want this kid in 9 years.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #352
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Some really good news for Mizzou fans. Both Sheldon Richardson and Ronnie Wingo Jr. are expected to sign with the Tigers. The main deciding factor for both players was the parent/coach relationships during the recruiting period.

Where are you getting this from?
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #353
MJ4H
Coordinator

I was wondering that, too. Since that post I've looked around for anything about this and haven't seen anything.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #354
Blade6119
Coordinator

The mizzou rivals site talks about both, but not about signings. Apparently the Mizzou coaches are visiting Wingo this week, and Richardson just got two new "major" offers...im guessing its just hear-say, but id love to be wrong.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #355
DeToxRox
Head Coach

What shock .. Mike Farrell fucks up again?

Apparently Taj Boyd is still a Tennessee commit, at least as of now.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #356
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
What shock .. Mike Farrell fucks up again?

Apparently Taj Boyd is still a Tennessee commit, at least as of now.

I'm sure he's still considering BC, though!
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #357
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Actually I am reading this mess .. Boyd may have decommited but Farrell said his schollie was just pulled, and that isn't the case. Kiffin is saying he'd honor it but he may not fit in so the balls in Boyds court.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #358
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2008/...t/?partner=RSS

Tajh Boyd has de-committed from Tennessee following a conversation about his future with newly hired football coach Lane Kiffin.

A source close to Boyd’s recruitment told the News Sentinel that Boyd pulled back his commitment when Kiffin warned him that he might not be happy with UT’s pro-style offensive system. ... Boyd’s scholarship was not pulled despite a report to the contrary from a recruiting Web site Wednesday afternoon, the source said.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-03-2008 at 08:17 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #359
MrBug708
Head Coach

Seems like a simple "We'll honor your scholarship offer if you still want to come here but we dont plan on ever using you in our system"
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:25 PM   #360
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Seems like a simple "We'll honor your scholarship offer if you still want to come here but we dont plan on ever using you in our system"

Well Mike Farrell, the head recruiting expert for Rivals said Kiffin called up Boyd and said his schollie was pulled. There is a difference then saying he said Boyd could stay if he wanted but he might not fit in.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #361
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Saw some comments from 2009 #1 national RB Bryce Brown in a Kansas newspaper. He said he's narrowed his choices down to Oregon and Clemson.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #362
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Saw some comments from 2009 #1 national RB Bryce Brown in a Kansas newspaper. He said he's narrowed his choices down to Oregon and Clemson.

It's basically Miami and Oregon. He had planned to enroll early to Miami but has now backed off that claim. Apparently he is going to enroll in a community college and take classes since he is going to graduate early still, but won't make a choice until closer to signing day.

An interesting note for Michigan is they're really close to getting a commit from a top 3 JUCO kid, DE Pernell McPhee. Now the problem is Michigan rarely accepts JUCO transfers, but under the old staff we had signed like two DE in the last three years, so even if Roh and LaLota coming in, and Brandon Graham announcing he'd be back (which can still change), we need more bodies.

If McPhee can get admitted, that'd be huge for next season.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #363
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
An interesting note for Michigan is they're really close to getting a commit from a top 3 JUCO kid, DE Pernell McPhee. Now the problem is Michigan rarely accepts JUCO transfers, but under the old staff we had signed like two DE in the last three years, so even if Roh and LaLota coming in, and Brandon Graham announcing he'd be back (which can still change), we need more bodies.

If McPhee can get admitted, that'd be huge for next season.

Yeah, UCLA's in the same boat. Not normally a school that goes after JC recruits, because they usually can't get admitted academically (much like UofM, of course, UCLA is one of the best public universities in the county academically). But they have received commitments from two OL and one DT from JUCO, and are trying for others I believe, to help fill the gap at those position groups created by the awfulness that was the Karl Dorrell regime.

Of course, this is all contingent on these players getting their work done in the classroom, and UCLA admissions not being such hardasses about JCs. I have hope for the first, but not so much for the second.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #364
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Yeah, UCLA's in the same boat. Not normally a school that goes after JC recruits, because they usually can't get admitted academically (much like UofM, of course, UCLA is one of the best public universities in the county academically). But they have received commitments from two OL and one DT from JUCO, and are trying for others I believe, to help fill the gap at those position groups created by the awfulness that was the Karl Dorrell regime.

Of course, this is all contingent on these players getting their work done in the classroom, and UCLA admissions not being such hardasses about JCs. I have hope for the first, but not so much for the second.

Yep. At Michigan generally the JUCO's that get qualified were ones who fully qualified out of HS, but went to JUCO schools for whatever reason.

I give McPhee all of 5% chance of getting in, but stranger things have happened.

For schools like UM and UCLA, JUCO's really aren't needed most of the time, but with the circumstance each school is in presently, they need players, quick, so this is one year I wish the schools were so stingent.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #365
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Well Mike Farrell, the head recruiting expert for Rivals said Kiffin called up Boyd and said his schollie was pulled. There is a difference then saying he said Boyd could stay if he wanted but he might not fit in.

COuld very well happen, but in general, recruits lie. About offers, about comments, about what schools they actually like, and to what school they are actually committed to
Old 12-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #366
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
COuld very well happen, but in general, recruits lie. About offers, about comments, about what schools they actually like, and to what school they are actually committed to

Oh I agree .. But what I find laughable about Farrell is he never checks with the Mods of the rival network sites who are in contact with these kids, let alone the kids themselves.

He gets so much second hand info and posts it as credible that he is considered a joke and hardly anyone gives his stories a second glance.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #367
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I thought I'd read something that said that any grad from a California JC has to be admitted to any of the California public universities (at least when talking about athletic recruits)?

I know UCLA self-imposes higher academic entrance requirements for H.S. kids than is stipulated by the NCAA, but does that affect JC transfers as well?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #368
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I thought I'd read something that said that any grad from a California JC has to be admitted to any of the California public universities (at least when talking about athletic recruits)?

I know UCLA self-imposes higher academic entrance requirements for H.S. kids than is stipulated by the NCAA, but does that affect JC transfers as well?

Not sure on that. I can only relay that I know these players have work to do academically to be admitted, and that it has been classified as more unlikely than likely that they could get it done. That may simply be with respect to getting their AA degrees or meeting minimum entrance requirements from a JC to UCLA, I'm not sure. But I know whatever it is, it's far from a done deal that Neuheisel and co. can get these kids in.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #369
MJ4H
Coordinator

Two more recruits today, JuCo OL Zhamal Thomas and WR Lance Ray have both committed to Arkansas. The one most people will want to talk about is Zhamal Thomas who was dismissed from LSU (I believe) for breaking and entering a couple years back. I guess we get to be his second D1 chance.

Well, Petrino has a history of keeping these types in line, so I guess we will see.

Lance Ray is extremely fast (low 4.3s from what I understand) but a bit raw. Word is Paul Petrino wanted him pretty badly, and if he is that interested, so am I.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #370
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Two more recruits today, JuCo OL Zhamal Thomas and WR Lance Ray have both committed to Arkansas. The one most people will want to talk about is Zhamal Thomas who was dismissed from LSU (I believe) for breaking and entering a couple years back. I guess we get to be his second D1 chance.

Well, Petrino has a history of keeping these types in line, so I guess we will see.

Lance Ray is extremely fast (low 4.3s from what I understand) but a bit raw. Word is Paul Petrino wanted him pretty badly, and if he is that interested, so am I.

What history would that be? Im sure im quite ignorant, but the only case i can remember is willie williams.
Demotivation
Old 12-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #371
MJ4H
Coordinator

Petrino's reputation at Louisville was taking players with questionable discipline and keeping them in line. That's why when he left and a non-disciplinarian coach came along (Kragthorpe) he had to kick half the team out. He was not a disciplinarian like Petrino and could not keep the players in line.

To quote Brian Brohm: "There were no discipline problems under Petrino. None."
Old 12-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #372
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Petrino's reputation at Louisville was taking players with questionable discipline and keeping them in line. That's why when he left and a non-disciplinarian coach came along (Kragthorpe) he had to kick half the team out. He was not a disciplinarian like Petrino and could not keep the players in line.

I thought it was the other way around. Petrino was lax and let things go, so discipline problems didn't show up because he let stuff go. But that's an impression built on nothing but a fading memory, I'll admit.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #373
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

That really doesn't make sense. Petrino brought in questionable character guys but was a disciplinarian so he didn't have to suspend or kick off many/any players yet Kragthrope wasn't a disciplinarian so he had to kick half the team out?

The problems were there while Petrino was there. He just tended to look the other way, most likely because he knew he wouldn't be there much longer and wouldn't have to deal with the issues.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:16 PM   #374
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

Kind of. They have to get their AA to get their requirement and I'm not really sure how many actually do get their AA?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:55 AM   #375
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like Mizzou may be picking up a couple former USC players. Joshua Tatum (#13 ranked overall JUCO who was a USC 2006 signing) just committed to Mizzou. As a result, his best friend and former teammate, Vidal Hazelton, is expected to visit Mizzou before the end of the month.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #376
Logan
Head Coach

Heard Hazelton's father would like to see him end up at home at Rutgers. We'll see.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #377
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Heard Hazelton's father would like to see him end up at home at Rutgers. We'll see.

Oh, I'm sure we'll hear plenty of schools mentioned for him in the coming days. This was obviously a package deal that wasn't even available for Mizzou until the past couple of weeks.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #378
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I've heard some of the same things. I'd love to see him go to Rutgers, the only team I really root for besides USC.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:47 AM   #379
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
That really doesn't make sense. Petrino brought in questionable character guys but was a disciplinarian so he didn't have to suspend or kick off many/any players yet Kragthrope wasn't a disciplinarian so he had to kick half the team out?

The problems were there while Petrino was there. He just tended to look the other way, most likely because he knew he wouldn't be there much longer and wouldn't have to deal with the issues.

No. Ask anyone in Louisville at the time. Yes, Petrino brought in guys that others were afraid of because he knew he could keep them in line. And if you think Petrino looked the other way, um, wow. Petrino is one of the most disciplinarian coaches around.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #380
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I thought it was the other way around. Petrino was lax and let things go, so discipline problems didn't show up because he let stuff go. But that's an impression built on nothing but a fading memory, I'll admit.

A lot of the media does, so that is a common perception. It is wrong. Simply talking to Lousiville people (for instance Brian Brohm who was on local radio here recently, but really anyone) should show that that is the problem.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #381
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It's basically Miami and Oregon. He had planned to enroll early to Miami but has now backed off that claim. Apparently he is going to enroll in a community college and take classes since he is going to graduate early still, but won't make a choice until closer to signing day.

I wouldnt be so ssure about that.
He was in Death valey for the Clemson USCjr game and made several comments after thee game how impressed he was with 85,000 in the rain at 40 degrees. Said it was hands down the best environment he has seen and that Clemson would be a factor in any decision he makes moving forward.

He also connected very well with CJ Spiller.

I'm not saying he will be a Tiger, but dont dismiss us either; or better yet go ahead...It was nice when everyone dismissed us on James Davis, CJ, Willy Korn and DeQuan Bowers.... thats a top 10 natioal recruit every year in the last 4 that we had no chance at.

Also of note Craig Loston and Devonte Holloman two of the top 5 DBs in the country have rescheduled visits after previously de-committing following Tommy Bowden's resignation.

Holloman had been a USCjr commit but his recruiter left to go to Tennessee....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #382
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I wouldnt be so ssure about that.
He was in Death valey for the Clemson USCjr game and made several comments after thee game how impressed he was with 85,000 in the rain at 40 degrees. Said it was hands down the best environment he has seen and that Clemson would be a factor in any decision he makes moving forward.

He also connected very well with CJ Spiller.

I'm not saying he will be a Tiger, but dont dismiss us either; or better yet go ahead...It was nice when everyone dismissed us on James Davis, CJ, Willy Korn and DeQuan Bowers.... thats a top 10 natioal recruit every year in the last 4 that we had no chance at.

Also of note Craig Loston and Devonte Holloman two of the top 5 DBs in the country have rescheduled visits after previously de-committing following Tommy Bowden's resignation.

Holloman had been a USCjr commit but his recruiter left to go to Tennessee....

K State is also involved with Snyder back.

The problem is he goes where his brother Arthur goes. Currently Arthur is at Miami but rumor is he doesn't like it and wants to transfer. He can't transfer to Clemson, so I doubt that they'd be a viable option if this is true.

The school that is bandied about most in regards to a transfer?

Oregon.

That's why I think it's just a two team race.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #383
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sad news about a recruit. Billie Joe Johnson evidently shot himself. Was being recruited by several SEC teams........

FOXNews.com - Mississippi Football Star Shoots Self During Traffic Stop - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Old 12-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #384
Logan
Head Coach

Wow, an alleged self-inflicted shotgun wound. Horrible.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #385
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Wow, an alleged self-inflicted shotgun wound. Horrible.

Yeah, a black kid with everything to live for kills himself in a traffic stop by a white officer with no dashboard camera in Mississippi. I truly hope that nothing was amiss.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #386
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Have to wonder....so the officer walsk to the car, obviously he sees the shotgun then goes back to his car leaving the suspect within reach of the shotgun.....strange policy to say the least.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #387
DeToxRox
Head Coach

New Rivals 100 is out shortly. Apparently Reuben Randle is the #1, and Matt Barkley has fallen back to #12. That is all I have heard so far.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #388
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, I know the rankings really do not matter but they make for good debate.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #389
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tridola .. Barkley is #11.

The top 10 is

1. Reuben Randle
2. Bryce Brown
3. Jelani Jenkins
4. Sheldon Richardson
5. Russell Sheppard
6. Devon Kennard
7. Trent Richardson
8. Manti Te'o
9. Patrick Hall
10. Dre Kirkpatrick
Old 12-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #390
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quaddola for the win ..

Barkley is the first #1 to lose his status halfway through the year since 2001.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #391
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Quaddola for the win ..

Barkley is the first #1 to lose his status halfway through the year since 2001.

Rumors are USC is going to pull his scholie offer.

"He's just too far down the list now," Pete Carrolll said.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #392
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I'd suspect that part of the reason Randle is #1 is that he is uncommitted. That sells more subscriptions.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #393
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I'd suspect that part of the reason Randle is #1 is that he is uncommitted. That sells more subscriptions.

I agree with that but Barkley's #'s didn't help him (granted he had no help on his team) but like 22 TD - 18 INT wasn't going to help him stay #1. I know its generally potential based but those numbers are not too befitting #1.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:00 AM   #394
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Penn State's backup quarterback Pat Devlin told the team yesterday that he is transferring. That makes getting a QB in this class imperative for Penn State. If they don't get one, Daryl Clark will be the only scholarship QB on the roster after the Rose Bowl.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:12 AM   #395
Tigercat
College Starter

If LSU gets RR and Debose as WR commits, which isn't a far fetched idea at this point, looks like they will have the best recruiting class in the nation. (And possibly with just one of those two.) Not bad considering how bad we looked on the field this past year.

I really hope we get Randle, but I think Russell Shepard is the better talent/prospect. He's a Percy Harvin athlete only taller and with a BCS school caliber arm.

Last edited by Tigercat : 12-11-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #396
mckerney
Coordinator

It sounds like there's a good chance that former Indiana verbal Kenneth Watkins will switch his commitment to Minnesota tonight.

Former FSU safety Anthony Leon is visiting Minnesota this weekend and says his top 3 is Minnesota, Oregon, and USC
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #397
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
It sounds like there's a good chance that former Indiana verbal Kenneth Watkins will switch his commitment to Minnesota tonight.

Former FSU safety Anthony Leon is visiting Minnesota this weekend and says his top 3 is Minnesota, Oregon, and USC

Taylor Lewan is visiting Michigan this weekend. Outside of Jelani Jenkins, he is the commit I want most, but it still could be Minny's to lose. Should be interesting to see what happens.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #398
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Taylor Lewan is visiting Michigan this weekend. Outside of Jelani Jenkins, he is the commit I want most, but it still could be Minny's to lose. Should be interesting to see what happens.

It's hard to get a read on him of who he prefers between Minnesota and Michigan. Lewan is probably 2nd or 3rd on the list of who Minnesota fans really want to finish out this class. He's a great athlete at whatever spot he winds up on the line and would easily see himself starting in his 2nd year at Minnesota with how desperately the Gophers need linemen.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #399
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
It's hard to get a read on him of who he prefers between Minnesota and Michigan. Lewan is probably 2nd or 3rd on the list of who Minnesota fans really want to finish out this class. He's a great athlete at whatever spot he winds up on the line and would easily see himself starting in his 2nd year at Minnesota with how desperately the Gophers need linemen.

It sounds like he has become Michigan's chief concern. His recruiter, Tony Dews, has been out to see him several times apparently. Plus Craig Roh continually works on him at school.

He keeps mentioning Oregon but still has not set a visit, which makes me think it probably is a two team race.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #400
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
It sounds like he has become Michigan's chief concern. His recruiter, Tony Dews, has been out to see him several times apparently. Plus Craig Roh continually works on him at school.

He keeps mentioning Oregon but still has not set a visit, which makes me think it probably is a two team race.

A visit to him was Tim Davis' first stop after getting hired when he and Dunbar went down to visit him. Lewan said he really liked Davis and his background in the NFL and at USC. Will be interesting to see what he decides. Lewan is considering anouncing his commitment at the UA All American Game, though he could chose to do so before then.