Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2007, 08:54 PM   #351
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
If Brady gets his knee taken out when they're up big late in a game, that will be the highlight of the season.

Edit: And I don't even dislike Brady. It's just the best way to short-circuit the Patriots season in the most poetic justice-type manner.

So you're honestly saying that scoring 1 or 2 more TDs than you need to is worse then intentionally ending a player's season via injury? That's an interesting view of sportsmanship you have.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #352
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Very good point. People are talking as if the old days of football involved all the players kissing each other on the cheek before a big game or something.

We've gone way, way, way in the other direction. Today, the players have the same agents, were on a different team two years ago, and with very few exceptions, pro "rivalries" are between fans of teams now, not players.

No players or coaches are complaining about the Patriots (except one guy with Washington). The media tried to stir shit up with the Bills yesterday, and to a man, no one had a problem with anything the Pats did. How can something possibly be unsportsmanlike when the other team doesn't have an issue with what you're doing?

I don't this this is really as much of an argument as the media seems to be trying to make it though. The "sportsman" crowd seems the clear minority.
+1
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #353
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
While I disagree with ISiddiqui, he does make a valid point and that point has been the basis for the argument who argue for his side. What is the difference between the pros and the other levels of football? Missouri and Kansas play this weekend. Both teams have players on scholarships(often called a form of payment) and both coaching staffs are filled with paid professionals. If one team is up 49-10 and go for it on 4th down and 2, isn't still the other team's job to stop them? They got the same opportunity to practice. I am sure they recruit some of the same players. However, there is no doubt that coach would be skewered for poor sportsmanship. We would expect that coach to do whatever he could to keep the score respectable.

Oh yeah, please don't tell me the coaches are supposed to be worried about the college players' feelings.

I honestly don't care about the college either, so I agree here, its the same thing. I probably draw the line at highschool or pop warner level sports where its different to me and its just kids. The difference there is that its.. well just kids
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:03 PM   #354
molson
General Manager

Agreed that I care less about running up the score in College football either, though I do feel that starters should be pulled earlier there. You have bigger rosters, kids for whom sports isn't a career (and depending on the level of college, may not even be on scholarship), and garbage time should be about getting other people some playing time. Those backups shouldn't have to "take it easy", and it's not really fair to backup WRs, DBs, and QBs that coaches be super conservative at that point. I have no problem with letting the 3rd or 4th screen QB air it out, even if the team has the game well in hand.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:21 PM   #355
Jas_lov
College Starter

They shouldn't be worried about anybody's feelings. If they can't hack it, then they need to find a new profession. This isn't little league where they have rules set up to prevent this kind of thing. The winning team should never care if the losing team gets something positive from the game. It's not their obligation to make sure the losing team feels good about themselves for losing by only 27 instead of 34.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 11-19-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:27 PM   #356
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

If you dont wnat them to run up the score, stop them. Its that simple.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:31 PM   #357
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
If you dont wnat them to run up the score, stop them. Its that simple.

I don't think it's quite that simple. The only reason I'd want them to stop is so I can stop hearing it from all the whiners.

I tend to agree with RA. Belichick plays them hard every down and well past when they need to so when the occasion arises that they need to it's not a foreign situation. I can't think it's good strategy to lay off after the second quarter every week, that's setting up for Schottenheimer like failure.

Last edited by jeff061 : 11-19-2007 at 09:32 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #358
bhlloy
Coordinator

So, Shanahan is the first to get bitten by the last second ice the kicker time out. Hope it costs them the game and nobody ever does it again. Dumb little gimmick.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #359
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
So you're honestly saying that scoring 1 or 2 more TDs than you need to is worse then intentionally ending a player's season via injury? That's an interesting view of sportsmanship you have.

I'm not saying it would be intentional. I'm saying it'd be funny if he is left in for the purpose of running up the score and he happens to get his knee torn up. There are more reasons than just sportsmanship for sitting starters when you are up by a large margin.

Basically, my point is Belichick deserves to have something go terribly wrong because he is leaving his stars in when the game is well in hand. I realize Brady did eventually get pulled out, but he's definitely staying in longer than a lot of coaches would leave him.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-19-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #360
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not saying it would be intentional. I'm saying it'd be funny if he is left in for the purpose of running up the score and he happens to get his knee torn up. There are more reasons than just sportsmanship for sitting starters when you are up by a large margin.

Basically, my point is Belichick deserves to have something go terribly wrong because he is leaving his stars in when the game is well in hand. I realize Brady did eventually get pulled out, but he's definitely staying in longer than a lot of coaches would leave him.

by that logic since you drive to work/the store/insert somewhere else nearby you could reasonably walk to, it'd be funny if somebody slammed into your car and crippled you??

yeahhhh...let's start wishing for people to get hurt. it's not okay just because you don't know the person or anything.

shit...while we're at it why don't we just drop some cluster-bombs on an iraqi village and kill a bunch of schoolkids.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:15 PM   #361
dime
High School JV

patriot fan "logic" and misuse of analogies abound!

here's an analogy for you: when you beat a guy to death, do you need to keep stabbing him for another hour after he's died? do you need to have sex with his corpse? you know, just to "make sure you don't let up" in your next fight?

as for brady, him getting hurt would hurt the team but not nearly as much as moss getting hurt. he's the guy who has made the offense so good, since after a few years of not trying at all he's decided to try. (and you wonder why everyone hates this team!)

I would bet that the pats' worst fear is for denver to win the afc west, win the first round game and end up in razor stadium for round 2. shanahan owns belichick, and champ bailey might be the one guy in the world who could take moss on in single coverage. most importantly, denver seems unlikely to cower under the patriots' boy band bad-boy posturing. new england is mad because they got caught cheating, and they want to run up the score to take "revenge"? boo fucking hoo. the broncos went to a bunch of funerals this year, they're not going to be intimidated by the taunting, the cheap shots, or the tedious hissing and scowling.

when you stand up to a bully...the bully loses his nerve.
dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:26 PM   #362
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime View Post
as for brady, him getting hurt would hurt the team but not nearly as much as moss getting hurt.

This seems to me to be unlikely to be a true statement, to put it mildly.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:32 PM   #363
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
This seems to me to be unlikely to be a true statement, to put it mildly.

+1
Old 11-20-2007, 01:27 AM   #364
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

here's an analogy for you: when you beat a guy to death, do you need to keep stabbing him for another hour after he's died? do you need to have sex with his corpse? you know, just to "make sure you don't let up" in your next fight?

as for brady, him getting hurt would hurt the team but not nearly as much as moss getting hurt. he's the guy who has made the offense so good, since after a few years of not trying at all he's decided to try. (and you wonder why everyone hates this team!)

I would bet that the pats' worst fear is for denver to win the afc west, win the first round game and end up in razor stadium for round 2. shanahan owns belichick, and champ bailey might be the one guy in the world who could take moss on in single coverage. most importantly, denver seems unlikely to cower under the patriots' boy band bad-boy posturing. new england is mad because they got caught cheating, and they want to run up the score to take "revenge"? boo fucking hoo. the broncos went to a bunch of funerals this year, they're not going to be intimidated by the taunting, the cheap shots, or the tedious hissing and scowling.

first off...your entire ending paragraph is comical
second...my analogy was a hell of a lot more applicable than yours...since I was talking about wishing for someone to suffer and injury and how that's never funny whether you know the person or not...versus yours which was some babbling about killing someone and making sure they're dead (not to mention the odd necrophiliac reference).
Old 11-20-2007, 06:49 AM   #365
miked
College Starter

How does it help your team develop and get used to playing if you only let them play 3 quarters per game? I mean, they had like a 40 point half time lead. Is Brady supposed to just sit the second half of all the games they are winning big? How does that help, other than sparing people's feelings that most likely don't care?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:16 AM   #366
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

You lose Moss and they win by a touchdown instead of three. Lose Brady and they don't win.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:23 AM   #367
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
You lose Moss and they win by a touchdown instead of three. Lose Brady and they don't win.

Let's not get too hasty here. We are talking about the Buffalo Bills .
Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #368
molson
General Manager

Quote:

First of all, have you been watching these games? The Pats had guys on the field in the 4th quarter I've never even heard of. Casell played the last 10 minutes against Buffalo, and that number will increase as we get towards the end of the season.

Show me any coaches who are pulling star players in the NFL any ealier in week 10-12 (i.e. the 3rd quarter).

Second of all, you're still insane for for being so upset with a perceived lack of sportsmanship that you hope someone gets injured. That's just disturbed.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:14 AM   #369
molson
General Manager

Quote:

And when should the Pats be pulling players? End of 3rd Quarter? If that's what you think, you disagree and are getting all crazy over 5 MINUTES.

Litterally, your concern (I guess), is that the Bills players will become so emotionally scared over those 5 minutes that they'll suffer some kind of long-term distress. That's so ridiculous, that I can only concern that you're just really upset about a coach you don't happen to like having amazing, record-breaking success. Which is fine, but it's just annoying that people try to express that under this fake guise of "sportsmanship".
Old 11-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #370
st.cronin
General Manager

Heath Evans rushed 10 times for 56 yards. That wasn't the Pats running up the score, that was the Bills giving up.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:20 AM   #371
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I'll ignore the murdering analogy because I'm convinced that your Bellichick rage is rendering you unable to think straight, but I agree with these two points

Brady being FAR more imporant than Moss is obvious - Brady would have his best ever group of receivers even without him, and he'd still win. Moss makes things easy and = blowout.

If the Broncos make the playoffs, the Pats fans shouldn't be comfortable with that matchup. But it's not because of their "attitute" (Personally, I think the Pats are getting it done with talent and execution, not intimidation, as you're clearly implying.). I mean if it's the latter, the rest of the NFL is really a bunch of pussies.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #372
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I mean if it's the latter, the rest of the NFL is really a bunch of pussies.

As far as I can tell, this is true. The NFL this year is the Colts and Patriots, and a bunch of pussies.

knives out
Old 11-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #373
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
As far as I can tell, this is true. The NFL this year is the Colts and Patriots, and a bunch of pussies.

I wouldn't go as far as to call the Colts pussies, but they certainly haven't shown a whole lot of mental toughness since being up late gainst the Pats.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:34 AM   #374
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I wouldn't go as far as to call the Colts pussies, but they certainly haven't shown a whole lot of mental toughness since being up late gainst the Pats.

I was just thinking they're the only team that, when New England first hit them in the mouth, didn't roll over and die.

knives out
Old 11-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #375
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

He didn't. He called everyone else pussies.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:39 AM   #376
st.cronin
General Manager

I'll just point out again that Heath Evans rushed 10 times for 56 yards. The only way that is possible is if the other team has just completely and totally given up. I know the Pats are good, but the Bills completely disgraced themselves on Sunday.

knives out
Old 11-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #377
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
He didn't. He called everyone else pussies.

Right, I didn't mean to imply that he was, it was just funny to see the Colts in the "top two" of non-pussies when they blew a late lead at home and have been flat ever since. If that makes them #2, the rest of the league are big time pussies. (Which is exactly when the people whining about the blowout wins are implying, I don't agree with it myself).

Lets call a spade a spade is all I'm saying. If the Colts beat the Pats 70-0 a few weeks back, those same people would be celebrating Manning's last TD pass in the 4th quarter. This is all about Bellichick, not "sportsmanship".
Old 11-20-2007, 10:45 AM   #378
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Brady being FAR more imporant than Moss is obvious - Brady would have his best ever group of receivers even without him, and he'd still win. Moss makes things easy and = blowout.

I'm not going to disagree here, but I would like to point out one thing that is overlooked. Without Moss, Welker is just another 3rd receiver. Running him underneath constantly is the perfect safety blanket for Brady because Moss will take half the secondary with him wherever he goes. Stallworth, Welker, Gaffney/Washington/Jackson would arguably be on par with the '04 group of Patten, Branch, and Givens.

Moss playing at the level he is right now completely changes the game. Defenses play him like no other receiver and it shows in how successful Welker has been running those 5-10 yard underneath routes.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #379
st.cronin
General Manager

On Randy Moss's last touchdown, the Bills secondary was just jogging around, not even pretending to try to cover anybody.

How people can be angry at the Pats for that is just beyond me. Personally, I was disgusted at the Bills performance.

knives out
Old 11-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #380
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Lets call a spade a spade is all I'm saying. If the Colts beat the Pats 70-0 a few weeks back, those same people would be celebrating Manning's last TD pass in the 4th quarter. This is all about Bellichick, not "sportsmanship".

They would be celebrating because the Pats would be getting a taste of their own medicine. The Pats would hardly be in a position to complain were that to happen (not this year, surely).
Old 11-20-2007, 10:51 AM   #381
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Moss playing at the level he is right now completely changes the game. Defenses play him like no other receiver and it shows in how successful Welker has been running those 5-10 yard underneath routes.

Quite right. Brady is a great QB, but Moss's ability is really elevating Brady to another level. The respect that teams have for Moss (well, a motivated Moss) really changes the game.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:52 AM   #382
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Old 11-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #383
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post

Hahahaha please tell the story.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #384
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Classy, Jets fans. Classy...

At Jets Game, a Halftime Ritual of Harassment

By DAVID PICKER

At halftime of the Jets’ home game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday, several hundred men lined one of Giants Stadium’s two pedestrian ramps at Gate D. Three deep in some areas, they whistled and jumped up and down. Then they began an obscenity-laced chant, demanding that the few women in the gathering expose their breasts.

When one woman appeared to be on the verge of obliging, the hooting and hollering intensified. But then she walked away, and plastic beer bottles and spit went flying. Boos swept through the crowd of unsatisfied men.

Marco Hoffner, an 18-year-old from Lacey Township, N.J., was expecting to see more. Not from the Jets — they pulled off a big upset over the Steelers. He wanted more from the alternative halftime show that, according to many fans, has been a staple at Jets home games for years.
“Very disappointed, because we’re used to seeing a lot,” Hoffner said.
The mood of previous Gate D crowds — captured on video clips posted on YouTube — sometimes bordered on hostile, not unlike the spirit of infamously aggressive European soccer hooligans. One clip online shows a woman being groped by a man standing next to her.

Sunday’s scene played out for about 20 minutes, and at least one woman granted the men’s request, setting off a roar as if the former star running back Curtis Martin had just scored a touchdown. Martin was actually nearby, being honored on the field in the official halftime show, which had a far less intense audience.

Throughout halftime, about 10 security guards in yellow jackets stood near the bottom of the circular, multilevel ramp, located beyond the stadium’s concourse of concession stands and restrooms. One of the guards was smoking a cigarette; many fans do the same during halftime on the giant ramps, which are located at each corner of the stadium. Another guard later said they were not permitted to do anything about the chants at Gate D because of free speech laws. Yet when a reporter tried to interview two security guards after halftime, he was detained in a holding room, threatened with arrest and asked to hand over his tape recorder.

The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, which provides security at Giants Stadium for Jets and Giants games, is aware of the raucous and raunchy halftime show. Patrick C. Aramini, the authority’s vice president for security, parking and traffic for the Meadowlands Sports Complex, said men and women could be expelled and even turned over to the New Jersey State Police to be arrested for their participation — although he said he did not know if anyone was cited Sunday. He added that other measures, like blocking access to the ramps, were being considered.

“The problem is, you got to watch four or five hundred people sometimes in the one particular spiral,” Aramini said.

“What do we do, arrest everybody that starts chanting?”

Such fan behavior is not uncommon at other sporting events in the United States, like Nascar races and the infield at the Kentucky Derby. There was even an infamous undressing in the National Football League’s marquee event: during the 2004 Super Bowl halftime show, a “wardrobe malfunction” exposed Janet Jackson’s right breast before a worldwide televised audience.

But the Gate D tradition at Giants Stadium apparently is unique to Jets games; the Gate D ramps are comparatively empty at Giants games. Perhaps forlorn Jets fans, who have rarely had a winning team to support, are seeking alternative entertainment on game days.

“This is the game,” said Patrick Scofield, a 20-year-old from Poughkeepsie, N.Y., who has attended several Jets games the last two seasons.

Denisse Rivera, a 23-year-old from the Bronx, was on a first date Sunday. When she arrived at the crowd at Gate D, several men pointed at her, signaling men at all levels to chant in her direction. After a brief moment of hesitation, she flashed them. Then she took a bow.

“I don’t care,” Rivera said when told that video clips of previous incidents, taken on cellphones, ended up online. “I love my body and I like what I have, so let everybody share it.”

Two security guards soon approached Rivera. The guards warned her about indecent exposure laws, she said, and let her go.

Jets officials declined to be interviewed about the halftime tradition at their home games. In a statement, the team said: “We expect our fans to comply with all rules at the stadium, and the vast majority do. For those who don’t, we expect and encourage N.J.S.E.A. security to take appropriate action.”

Greg Aiello, an N.F.L. spokesman, said, “I would defer any comment to law enforcement and the people on the stadium authority there that are in charge of fan-conduct issues.”

The State Police staffs every Jets home game. But Sgt. Stephen Jones, a spokesman, said the State Police did not make an attempt to prevent fans from congregating in Giants Stadium. But he said that there were incidents of fans throwing money into the center of the spiral ramps. Those fans then threw objects at children picking up the money. Access to the center of the ramps is now blocked off by a chain-link fence.

“Our emphasis is certainly not general security,” Jones said. “Something like you’re describing, the stairwell behavior, is a matter that the security would handle. Now if they come up with something where somebody needs to be arrested, the troops will go out there and effect that arrest.”
Some parents are not pleased with the halftime activities away from the field.

Randall Lazzaro, a 40-year-old from New Jersey, attended Sunday’s game with his wife and two sons, ages 6 and 9. He was at the base of Gate D shortly before halftime and said that cursing at games was probably the main reason parents did not want to take their kids to games.

When Lazzaro was told what was about to happen on the ramps at Gate D, he said, “That’s a disgusting practice and the police have to get involved, put a stop to it.”
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #385
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You sound like a whiny 4-year old, fyi - and I really don't like the Patriots.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #386
rkmsuf
Head Coach

oh big deal. they are just tits. everybody's got them.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:06 AM   #387
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
I'll just point out again that Heath Evans rushed 10 times for 56 yards. The only way that is possible is if the other team has just completely and totally given up. I know the Pats are good, but the Bills completely disgraced themselves on Sunday.

Or, Mr Evans was nice and rested while the Bills Defense was butt-tired from chasing Patriots most of the night. Doesn't mean they totally gave up, just not as good as the Pats.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #388
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Are you referring to the same Denver Broncos who got blowed out by the Detroit Lions 44-7 at Ford Field? Those Denver Broncos?

If I had to rank the teams the Patriots might be "afraid" to face (I think the list would go from "Not at all Afraid" to "Will Openly Mock"), the Broncos would be pretty far down that list.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:17 AM   #389
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
They would be celebrating because the Pats would be getting a taste of their own medicine. The Pats would hardly be in a position to complain were that to happen (not this year, surely).

So in a true sportsman sense, the proper response to bad sportsmanship is to do the exact same thing to them? Is that what you tech your kids? Please. It's such bullshit that the same people whining about sportsmanship are rooting for injuries and for someone to do the EXACT same "unsportsmanlike" thing to them.

Why is it so hard for people to admit that they just hate Bellichick and root against him? There's no shame in that. I hate Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning. I'd love it if they didn't win another game this year. The difference with me though, is I don't actually wish them injury (not directing that point towards you). And I'm the asshole fan?

I promise you that if the Colts play the Pats again, and the stars align so that they're lucky to blowout the Patriots, those last few TDs won't be motiviated by Manning and Coompany standing up for those poor Bills players who were embarassed.

The Patriots are bullies because they win by too many points. What a world.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #390
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I was just thinking they're the only team that, when New England first hit them in the mouth, didn't roll over and die.

Actually, that's exactly what they did (though New England's first punch to the mouth wasn't until about 10 minutes left in that game). But the Colts rolled over after that.

Oddly enough, the only team that I can think of that didn't fold like a lawn chair once the momentum shifted was the Browns. The Pats dominated the first half there and the Browns played them very tough in the 3rd quarter and kept the score respectable.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #391
MikeVic
Head Coach

I want to see the Steelers/Patriots game a lot. Curious to see if the pass rush can do anything, and if the Steelers just roll over or if they make a game out of it.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #392
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
So in a true sportsman sense, the proper response to bad sportsmanship is to do the exact same thing to them? Is that what you tech your kids? Please. It's such bullshit that the same people whining about sportsmanship are rooting for injuries and for someone to do the EXACT same "unsportsmanlike" thing to them.

Sometimes The Need for Revenge > The Quest for True Sportsmanship.

I have no beef with the Pats scoring as many points as they want (although there are limits... you know, if they were up 78-0, it would be time for the fullback dive every play). I also have no problem saying I hate Belichick. I ALSO have no problem saying that the Patriots are an amazing team that are on the verge of having an unprecedented season that will go down in the history books. Hell, if they fold now, it will STILL go down in the history books as the most amazing 10 game run anyone has ever had.

But at some point, the Patriots run will end. And when it does, don't expect any fans to cut you ANY slack about anything again ever. The need to gloat about every win, and defend every attack is beyond tiresome. So just let it go, man. Let. It. Go.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #393
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

But at some point, the Patriots run will end. And when it does, don't expect any fans to cut you ANY slack about anything again ever. The need to gloat about every win, and defend every attack is beyond tiresome. So just let it go, man. Let. It. Go.

Hey, I haven't gloated. I still don't think they'll go undefeated and I'll be sweating out every playoff game. Their run will surely end I'm enjoying it until it does.

And I don't feel the need to defend against every attack. (Though I agree that I do feel the need more often than I probably should). What annoys me are personal attacks, this sportsmanship stuff, and the constant baiting (which, I admit, I've been WAY too quick to fall for) If someone think Bellichick is just a douchebag and they hope he loses, god bless him, I don't have a response to that.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #394
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I'll gloat.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #395
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Welp, I don't know much about the Patriots or anything like that, but I'm glad that the Broncos were able to overcome the 4 timeouts that Tennessee got in each half last night.

Jeez, I like Mike Shanahan and all, but I thought the ninja timeout was a dumbfuck move last night. I liked it when he did it to Janikowski, but Bironas may be the best long-range kicker in the game these days, and the last thing a coach should do is give him multiple chances to kick a 56-yarder.

I can't blame Nate Webster for the timeout that gave the Titans a touchdown in the second half. The linebackers were confused before the snap, and he was just trying to give his team a fair chance. Still, regardless of the reasoning, the timeout did allow the Titans to get a touchdown that they wouldn't have had otherwise.

I'm not mad about the second timeout. I'm just glad that the Broncos won anyway.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #396
rkmsuf
Head Coach

you should get a wedgie or something if you use the ninja timeout
Old 11-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #397
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
you should get a wedgie or something if you use the ninja timeout
Judging from Mike Shanahan's face, I think he has a perpetual wedgie.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #398
MikeVic
Head Coach

So I was reading some fantasy news on CBS Sportsline, and came across this:

Quote:
Moorehead is the third Colts WR to go down injured this season, after Marvin Harrison (knee), who has only played once since Week 4, and Anthony Gonzalez (hand), who could be back on Thursday against the Falcons. If Harrison and Gonzalez can't go, Craphonso Thorpe will likely get the start in Week 12.

I thought it was a joke, but no... there really is a guy on their team named Craphonso. Do we have a thread for badly-named athletes/people?
Old 11-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #399
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I thought it was a joke, but no... there really is a guy on their team named Craphonso. Do we have a thread for badly-named athletes/people?
Yeah, I remember having that thought a few years ago when I first saw him play in college (Florida State, I think?). It's definitely an... er... interesting name. I would imagine that there's quite a story behind how he got it.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:10 PM   #400
MikeVic
Head Coach

I hope he plays so the announcers explore the origin!