Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-22-2004, 11:05 AM   #351
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

anytime is good for me i have a blaster i would like to try out.
ageofquarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:03 PM   #352
JeeberD
General Manager

Let me know what you guys decide on and I'll create a new character...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 03:07 PM   #353
NevStar
High School Varsity

I'd like to get in on this, too, but I'm gonna be out of town until after Memorial day. Could we possibly put this off for a week?
Old 05-22-2004, 03:57 PM   #354
hoopsguy
General Manager

I would be willing to participate as well.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 02:31 PM   #355
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Well, i have a Defender named [drum roll] Bonegavel on Virtue. He is only 5th level, so anyone can easily catch up to this. Can we set some time aside to work on these *new* characters together?

Last edited by Bonegavel : 05-23-2004 at 06:21 PM.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 03:40 PM   #356
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
okay fellas, I have a scrapper (MS-Oswald) that I have been soloing with on virtue. I have looked for some of you but must be on when others are off.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:09 AM   #357
Peregrine
Pro Starter

If you guys make characters on Champion, let me know, I have several characters on there.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 09:45 AM   #358
Bonegavel

I've been spending most of my time with Ramsack trying to discover what the higher levels have to offer and it really is just more of the same. Somehow, however, I'm still having fun (i keep double clicking the icon on my desktop - has to mean something).

Having spent most of my time now with an Energy Blaster (excels at knock back and damage), I created an ice-blaster on another server (can't recall this moment) and I must say that I now much prefer the ice over the energy. Freezing people in their place and doing DoT is very nice and, while i may not remember exactly, I swear it is easier to take down a foe with the ice powers.

The myriad of configurations (Origin, Type, Powers, Enhancement slots, Enhancements) really allows for a great deal of replayability even though the game is pretty much the same (content wise) for each. Depending on your decisions, your role on a team is very different (as you would think). The only 2 that I think blur the line is in Tanker and Scrapper. Both are melee only and one deals more damage and the other has more hit points. I'm not sure I see much more difference than that.

I think my next project will be to coddle a controller.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:21 AM   #359
condors
College Starter

i am still playing mostly as kieran on virtue but i have guys on like every server including the test
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 10:32 AM   #360
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

So has a clear-cut character configuration stood out from the crowd yet? What is the "power-player" of City of Heroes?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 10:33 AM   #361
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel

The only 2 that I think blur the line is in Tanker and Scrapper. Both are melee only and one deals more damage and the other has more hit points. I'm not sure I see much more difference than that.

I think tanker and scrapper are way different. A scrapper sucks and a tanker is useful. In a team as a tanker, with a healer in a team i can hit the boss and a few minions and keep them on me and away from attacking my teammates and survive. As a scrapper ive made the mistake of attacking a boss one level below me and couldnt get healed in time before i get my ass handed to me. Usally i will just attack a minion are a Lt. that only has a ranged attack(I'll attack a Headman Blaster over a Headman Swordsman for example).Ill let the tanker attack the boss and help him after im finished with the weaker guys.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:35 AM   #362
MrBug708
Head Coach

Scrappers are tough to use because their defense isn't that great and their offense isn't any better then a tanker. I use a natural scrapper though and havent recalled ever seeing someone of that combo before. Can't complain with Senor Bug though.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:56 PM   #363
condors
College Starter

i think blaster assault/devices is probally considered the most "powerfull" template but they are changing caltrops so mobs will have a min slow effect(with ignite/caltrops fully slotted is insane for min risk exp) it will affect all slowing powers.

fire tanker burn + provoke is also considered ultra powerfull (also going to be toned down)
Old 05-24-2004, 04:03 PM   #364
Thomkal
Head Coach

So what characters are people planning to play and what day do we want to start this? I haven't decided what character I'm going to make other than the fact that it will NOT be a healer. So someone else make one. I still vote for a less populated server like Champion to play them on too. Let's get some specifics down so we can play sooner.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:06 PM   #365
hoopsguy
General Manager

I've started playing on Victory with a couple of new characters and have found it to be much less populated. Heck, I visited Ms. Liberty and there wasn't another character to be seen at one point. Another time there were 2-3 there. Much fewer drops than Virtue.

I'll take a healer, haven't played one yet.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:14 PM   #366
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Scrappers are tough to use because their defense isn't that great and their offense isn't any better then a tanker.

Actually most scrappers have much better offense than a tanker. I have a level 15 tanker which I enjoy a lot, but I am a defensive-oriented tanker and don't do much damage, I'm usually glad to have a scrapper in my group because they can do some damage (though I keep the mobs taunted onto me, of course.) I mean, I have only two attacks (besides Brawl) and 4 enh slots total between them. That's not much offense.

At higher levels, I've heard scrappers are starting to hack out a useful niche for themselves, some of them at least, by using stealth moves and things like phase shift, they can do hit-and-run attacks where they deliver damage but get out of combat fast before they die. Guess it will remain to be seen how this will work.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:32 AM   #367
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy
I've started playing on Victory with a couple of new characters and have found it to be much less populated. Heck, I visited Ms. Liberty and there wasn't another character to be seen at one point. Another time there were 2-3 there. Much fewer drops than Virtue.

I'll take a healer, haven't played one yet.

Victory sounds fine to me. How does tonight sound? I'm not sure of time (EST) but we can meet here in the PM tonight and discuss or find a chat room somewhere or irc.

I would be willing to take anything other than a blaster as I have 2 of those going on Virtue. A controller/healer/tanker would be my choice in that order but I'm flexible.

We could then use the Victory server as our GROUP server so when we play there we are mostly together and under a super group (once we reach 10th). Playing in a group at early levels is a great way to advance quickly and have tons of fun with people you know. Seems that our virtue characters have too many disparate levels and is hard to team that way. If we can keep our Victory characters pretty much team-oriented only, we should be fine.

just a thought.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:35 AM   #368
condors
College Starter

works for me please post your name on victory
Old 05-25-2004, 10:54 AM   #369
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

So is Front Office Heroes on the Virtue server pretty much done with then?
FloridaFringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:56 AM   #370
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFringe
So is Front Office Heroes on the Virtue server pretty much done with then?

I would say no. I am online just about every evening after 8 or so. You can see in the SG list who has logged on recently and there are a bunch that still do.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:49 PM   #371
condors
College Starter

i wish the sidekick wasn't so rough exp wise for the newer player otherwise we could get everyone up to speed
Old 05-25-2004, 01:37 PM   #372
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm willing to make a character on Victory or wherever, but probably only if we try to have scheduled nights to play. I'm pretty tied up with my chars on Champion and I doubt I could play much on Victory unless we had scheduled play nights or something.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:52 PM   #373
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
I'm willing to make a character on Victory or wherever, but probably only if we try to have scheduled nights to play. I'm pretty tied up with my chars on Champion and I doubt I could play much on Victory unless we had scheduled play nights or something.

I agree whole-heartedly with this. Let's make an attempt to dedicate 1,2, or as many nights a week as we can a week to Victory Front Office Hero Super Group play.

It will probably be a much better experience now that we all have a bunch of characters and hours under our belts. I still want to keep FOH alive on Virtue, but an out of the way server for this is good.

I nominate Tuesday's and Thursday evenings for a start. Say, 2100 EST (9pm on the east coast) to possibly 2300+. My daughter should be in bed by then and I have the rest of the evening/early morning to spend on this.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:43 PM   #374
Thomkal
Head Coach

I have created a Radiation/Radiation defender by the name of Cometflash (had to really stretch to find an unused comet name ) that will be on Victory tonight around 9pm ET. He still needs to go through the tutorial, but that won't take long.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:48 PM   #375
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

i have i new guy named Project Schism he'll be on victory tonight at 9.

Last edited by ageofquarrel : 05-25-2004 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:11 PM   #376
Bonegavel

Making The Black Fedora right now.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:25 PM   #377
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Black Fedora. I love that name

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 06:39 PM   #378
Thomkal
Head Coach

Cometflash is through the tutorial and has visited Back Alley Brawler in Galaxy City to get his new level and power. I'll be off then until 9pm.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:42 PM   #379
condors
College Starter

went with a blaster littlewatt
Old 05-25-2004, 07:36 PM   #380
hoopsguy
General Manager

Doc Evil going through the tutorial as we speak. I'll be online a little after 10PM EST tonight looking for the crew.

Last edited by hoopsguy : 05-25-2004 at 07:50 PM. Reason: time - don't understand AM and PM very well
Old 05-25-2004, 07:38 PM   #381
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
The Black Fedora. I love that name

SI

Thanks...

i also made a tanker Caution Yellow.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:38 PM   #382
Thomkal
Head Coach

BlackFedora, Project Schism, and Cometflash are 3rd level already, where are the rest of you. Give one of us a tell when you get through the tutorial.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:03 PM   #383
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Key West Mike will be checking in
Old 05-25-2004, 09:53 PM   #384
JeeberD
General Manager

I'll make a new character in a few....

Old 05-25-2004, 10:04 PM   #385
hoopsguy
General Manager

Well? We're waiting!

Drops are taking a little bit of the fun out of my run so far tonight. One full drop and a half-dozen disconnects in first hour, guessing the video card is playing a bigger role than full server.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:16 PM   #386
JeeberD
General Manager

GI Jeeber has just been born and is going through the tutorial right now...

Old 05-25-2004, 10:25 PM   #387
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I didn't know we were talking about tonight, I had some other plans. I made a controller named Torus Grimm going forward, though.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:31 PM   #388
JeeberD
General Manager

Just about to visit the Back Alley Brawler in Galaxy City. I'll add you guys to my friends list...

Last edited by JeeberD : 05-25-2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:15 PM   #389
Thomkal
Head Coach

most of us got to level 5 before we called it quits, though Jeeber and hoops were sticking around a bit to catch up. The goal here is to stay at relatively the same level, so anyone we didn't get to team up with tonight can get to that level by Thursday if they want.

Much fun gentleman (even if the lady did thank Jeeber and not me) and in one mission we somehow rescued myself (I named myself in my bio and we had to rescue a guy with the same name)
Old 05-26-2004, 12:20 AM   #390
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
Much fun gentleman (even if the lady did thank Jeeber and not me)

How many times do I have to tell you this? Ladies love the dudes with sexy Tom Selleck 'staches and that wear Army issues camo's...

Last edited by JeeberD : 05-26-2004 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:25 AM   #391
hoopsguy
General Manager

Got to level 5 before dropping connection for the last time tonight. Sorry for not jumping back in Jeebs, but that was about the fourth time on the evening. Should be ready for Thursday night. I've also got a Controller (Gravity/Force Field) and a Tanker on this server about these levels, so if we want to mix up the party if some new people are arriving just let me know.

Was the server better for most than Virtue in terms of less lag/drops?
Old 05-26-2004, 12:33 AM   #392
JeeberD
General Manager

No problem, I understand. I didn't actually have any drops, but the action was fairly jerky for me tonight...

And DAMN, what a sexy beast...

Old 05-26-2004, 12:46 AM   #393
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'll try to get my guy levelled up to 5 in the next couple of days, shouldn't be a problem.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:56 AM   #394
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Found a cool bit of info on the official boards. I'm sure most of you have noticed that if you click on random civilians they will say various things, including bits of real info. Apparently this goes by the letter their name starts with!

(copied from official boards)

The citizens of Paragon City like to read up and memorize information about their favorite heroes. But you need to know who to talk to so you can get the information you need.

When in Paragon City, talk to the following people for the info you need.

Name Begins with the letter - Info they give
--------------------------------------------------

J - Various Stat information
F - Paragorn Official Time
E - Real Time
M - Time Played
N - Number of Logins
K - Damage output for the day

So get out there Heroes and rub elbows!
Old 05-26-2004, 02:05 AM   #395
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
No problem, I understand. I didn't actually have any drops, but the action was fairly jerky for me tonight...

And DAMN, what a sexy beast...

That's not GI Jeeber. That's Sargeant Slaughter

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 05:19 AM   #396
condors
College Starter

i will get a guy to level 5 today in prep for thursday, should i go with my elec/elec blaster or is there something else needed?
Old 05-26-2004, 06:03 AM   #397
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

key west mike logged in, and then was beset by PC problems. another night perhaps.

He is an illusion/weather controller.

I will try to catch up in level earlier in the day and meet with you guys later on.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:51 AM   #398
Thomkal
Head Coach

like hoopsguy I was crashing and/or getting mapserver disconnects that I'd recover from for a good chunk of the night. For me typing in the chat bar, jumping a lot, or getting stuck on something while running seems to trigger these disconnects for me. Anyone else having these problems?

Condors,
Play what you want we've got a lot of variety in the group. A secondary healer might not be a bad idea for someone else though if they haven't created a character yet.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:02 AM   #399
hoopsguy
General Manager

My problems were mostly when I was near the Brawler for levels and when there were a number of trees on the screen. Mostly related to video card ... starting to put some money aside for it now. In other words, I don't think it was the Victory server that was the problem, but my GeoForce2 car (standard one for my PC when I got it 2+ years ago).
Old 05-26-2004, 08:13 AM   #400
Bonegavel

Last night was a blast (apart from hoopsguy's drops).

Cometflash, Project Schism, BlackFedora, and Doc Evil were eventually joined by GI Jeeber (with the Tom Selleck stash) and took a big chunk out of the Hellion's foothold in Galaxy City.

It is really hard to give any kind of account of the activities in the game because so much happens at once and there is no time to stop and write it down.

It goes to show you that teaming up is the way to go as most of us reached 5th level by the end of 2 hours. And... not one death! We had a perfect combo of powers:

2 Defenders. Can't leave home without 'em
1 Blaster (2 with jeebs). When you just need to finish off those baddies that won't die.
1 Controller. Put 'em to sleep and give them migraines.

The typical encounter would go like this...

The Lts. were the first to be mesmerized or dominitated, then frozen in place with ice, then finished off with energy blast. After that, the controller would simply assess the biggest threat to the group and begin immobilizing them to allow the remaining ensemble relative freedom to blast the baddies to hell. It didn't take long for us to begin dissecting groups while taking minimal damage.

Ok... the next session will be Thursday night at 9pm. I guess we should post in here what character we are bringing to the party. Keep in mind that teams can only consist of 8 characters, so if we get more than that, we can simply split up into multiple teams.

If you wern't involved last night and would like to participate, log into Victory and promote a character to the 5th level and then wait for Thursday. I was able to get The BlackFedora up to 5, and I may log in tonight to do the same to my Tanker, Caution Yellow, to be ready for Thursday if we need him.

Having a mix of archetypes was fun to watch in action. To all the whackos on the CoH forums that talk about Blaster's dominance must have never played a blaster. The devs did a great job giving every archetype a function and purpose.