Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #351
Voo
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Gotta say. Outside of teambuilder, it's hard to point to something positive in NCAA 2010 over 2009. I guess they say they've fixed pursuit angles.

The worst thing about this is the game is only a month away. Not exactly a lot of time for them to announce some new feature/improvement before launch.
Voo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #352
Ironhead
College Prospect

I just can't see myself buying NCAA 10 this year. I'll miss my rivalries with some of the FOFC guys but it looks like more of the same. Madden on the other hand looks like it could be really good. Regardless it will seem really fresh since I haven't played it in years.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #353
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
I just can't see myself buying NCAA 10 this year. I'll miss my rivalries with some of the FOFC guys but it looks like more of the same. Madden on the other hand looks like it could be really good. Regardless it will seem really fresh since I haven't played it in years.

This describes me more & more with each passing day. It's a weird feeling. I'm sure I'll at least rent NCAA 10 before I make a decision.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #354
Logan
Head Coach

I'll probably end up with NCAA because a couple buddies will inevitably want to play constantly, but I'm more excited to give Madden a shot for the first time in a few years.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #355
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yep, I'll miss the online dynasties but right now it's hard to pinpoint exactly how NCAA 10 is going to be a better game than 09. It could end up that all the hype around Madden is a pile of BS and NCAA is another solid game, but the silence around the NCAA game is pretty puzzling.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #356
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of NCAA, there is a rumor that the demo will be out this Thursday. If it isn't out then, it almost certainly will be the following Thursday.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #357
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

So many things in this version from what I have seen remind me of NFL 2k5 (including some cut scenes that are almost directly copied from the game.) Now, Pasta Padre has posted the full ratings of every team and the new spread ratings are very similar to NFL 2k5. The Eagles highest rated receiver is Desean Jackson with a 81. Lots of guys in the 60's and 70's and a few in the 50's. Still, not using the full spectrum of ratings but clearly much more differential than any previous madden.

Madden 10 Player Ratings | pastapadre.com
Old 06-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #358
Kodos
Resident Alien

Nothing like posting ratings to start people complaining...

I'm considering canceling my NCAA 2010 preorder. I really don't want to reward microtransactions. And I don't like the direction the series seems to be heading in.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #359
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
So many things in this version from what I have seen remind me of NFL 2k5 (including some cut scenes that are almost directly copied from the game.) Now, Pasta Padre has posted the full ratings of every team and the new spread ratings are very similar to NFL 2k5. The Eagles highest rated receiver is Desean Jackson with a 81. Lots of guys in the 60's and 70's and a few in the 50's. Still, not using the full spectrum of ratings but clearly much more differential than any previous madden.

Madden 10 Player Ratings | pastapadre.com

Quote:
Nothing like posting ratings to start people complaining...

I'm considering canceling my NCAA 2010 preorder. I really don't want to reward microtransactions. And I don't like the direction the series seems to be heading in.

This is tough for me right now.

While I agree with some of what you're saying about NCAA 2010, I just can't buy into the crap that Online Franchise appears to be on Madden. I actually might buy Madden for SP, but I can't get behind a neutered online mode. At the same time, Microtransactions, etc bother me in NCAA - but at least I know the OD is done right for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #360
Kodos
Resident Alien

Except for encouraging people to pay to cheat.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #361
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Except for encouraging people to pay to cheat.

Well, I think your claim of "pay to cheat" is quite a bit of an exaggeration, but yes - except for that.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 06-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #362
Kodos
Resident Alien

How is paying to gain an advantage NOT cheating? Maybe it won't provide a huge advantage (who knows how much advantage it really provides before the game comes out), but I don't see how you can look at it as anything but cheating when someone does decide to pay.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-15-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #363
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
How is paying to gain an advantage NOT cheating? Maybe it won't provide a huge advantage (who knows how much advantage it really provides before the game comes out), but I don't see how you can look at it as anything but cheating.

Taking advantage of a feature that the game producer offers is most certainly not cheating. I don't see how any negative tone could be put towards someone that purchases this feature set - unless they are in a league that specifically forbids it.

I look at this more as an underhanded way to charge for Online Dynasty play. As I stated elsewhere, I'd just assume them charge $12.95 to use the Online Dynasty feature - that really wouldn't bother me. I think some genius at EA decided that this would sit better with people than charging for Online play, I just think they made the wrong choice.

But to call it cheating is just stupid imo. Cheating involves using the game in a way that it was not intended, that is not the case here.

Quote:
–verb (used without object)
4. to practice fraud or deceit: She cheats without regrets.
5. to violate rules or regulations: He cheats at cards.
6. to take an examination or test in a dishonest way, as by improper access to answers.
7. Informal. to be sexually unfaithful (often fol. by on): Her husband knew she had been cheating all along. He cheated on his wife.

I just don't see how any of that fits here.

Quote:
Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #364
Logan
Head Coach

I'm with wade. While the feature sucks, I don't see how it is any different than taking advantage of the training features of a game, or using the second half of blowouts to get your backups in to build their stats which will ultimately boost their ratings.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #365
Kodos
Resident Alien

Alrighty. Perhaps our definitions of cheating differ. Mine is more along the lines of "gaining an unearned advantage". I absolutely will not be paying for this "feature" myself. If that's going to put me at a competitive disadvantage in online dynasties, then they just lost a customer. They had better provide a way for commissioners to turn off this "feature" in online dynasties--something that the EA reps at Operation Sports have notably refused to say they are going to do so far (as of my reading of the thread last night).

Last edited by Kodos : 06-15-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #366
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Will you be able to tell if other teams have paid for those advantages? If not you could always try an honor system if it's a league with a bunch of guys on here.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:07 AM   #367
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Will you be able to tell if other teams have paid for those advantages? If not you could always try an honor system if it's a league with a bunch of guys on here.

My only online dynasty is with people from here. For 2010, I'd lobby for an honor system of not using the paid enhancements. I would also trust people from here to honor that requirement if made. This wouldn't work for the Internet at large, but that doesn't affect me since I'd only play with people here.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #368
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Just looked at the ratings for my 49ers, and in response I have but one word.

Ouch.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #369
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
My only online dynasty is with people from here. For 2010, I'd lobby for an honor system of not using the paid enhancements. I would also trust people from here to honor that requirement if made. This wouldn't work for the Internet at large, but that doesn't affect me since I'd only play with people here.

As long as these things are totally separated, I'm with this -but I don't know if some of these things could be integrated as to where it's impossible to avoid them.

Quote:
Old 06-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #370
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
As long as these things are totally separated, I'm with this -but I don't know if some of these things could be integrated as to where it's impossible to avoid them.

If I find out that it is impossible to avoid them, then I'll choose to avoid the game completely. Micro-transactions for extras is fine, but they are not fine for requirements. I'll boycott those games completely.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #371
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Just looked at the ratings for my 49ers, and in response I have but one word.

Ouch.

In general, I love to play sports games where my favorite team is bad to start a dynasty. As critical as I have been of Madden, I'd love to see good improvement in the game so I could start a dynasty with the Chiefs because I enjoy the challenge of rebuilding a bad team.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-15-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #372
Kodos
Resident Alien

You'd love being an IU football fan then.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #373
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think the solution for the roster issue in NCAA 2010 is just to sim ahead 5 years. That would also solve the problem of identical rosters for created teams. Especially for a Solecismic 8 type dynasty, not having real rosters wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

I guess the honor system would probably work for FOFC leagues.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #374
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I think the solution for the roster issue in NCAA 2010 is just to sim ahead 5 years. That would also solve the problem of identical rosters for created teams. Especially for a Solecismic 8 type dynasty, not having real rosters wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

I guess the honor system would probably work for FOFC leagues.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm not sure that I see the identical rosters as a negative necessarily.

Quote:
Old 06-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #375
sabotai
General Manager

Ok, I'll put the "one of THOSE guys" hat on and talk about my team's ratings....

Most of the Giants offense looks good, although I think Boss is rated a bit too highly and Steve Smith is rated a bit too low. McKenzie is probably rated a bit too high. He's always seemed like the weak link on the G-Men OL to me. But with that OL and Jacobs, it's going to be fun to rush the ball with them.

On defense, with the changes to the pass rush, Tuck and Umenyiora will be pretty scary. And then with Kiwanuka, Canty, Robbins and Bernard rated 80-85, just like what I expect to see this year, I'll be able to rotate guys in and out and keep a fresh, strong, talented DL in the game. The big guys vs. obvious runs, the small speed guys vs. obvious pass and a constantly changing mixture on normal downs.

LBs look good (weak, but that is their weakness right now). For DBs, I'd say Webster is overrated. He's become a good cover corner, but I would not say he's a "overall" 90. Id' say both him and Ross should be ~85 with Webster having strong cover ratings and Ross being more well-rounded.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #376
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, the developer on OS has said they are trying to get it added into NCAA's Online Dynasty an option that would turn off the DLC content since there has been so much negative backlash.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:17 AM   #377
Balldog
Pro Rookie

From what I've seen from that bunch "trying" means its not going to happen. The Madden guys seem to getting shit done this year but I haven't seen much from NCAA that looks different than last year.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:35 AM   #378
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think if I do get this game, it will be a used version from Lamestop. I like teambuilder, improved pursuit angles, and the ability to move teams to different conferences, but microtransactions piss me off (they'd be okay for uniforms or that kind of crap, but not when it comes to competitive abilities).
Old 06-16-2009, 08:42 AM   #379
spleen1015
Coordinator

I know you guys are going to tell me it is EA, but I can't believe they would think this was a good idea.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #380
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I know you guys are going to tell me it is EA, but I can't believe they would think this was a good idea.

You would not believe the things that marketing folks think are "good ideas"...
Old 06-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #381
Logan
Head Coach

You need about 4 people to buy the extra features to make it offset any person who doesn't buy the game. What percentage of the group who buys this game has a clue that this feature has even been implemented? 5%? 10% max? And of that group, maybe 5% will actually not buy it for that reason?

Seems like a pretty big user base to pull additional revenue from. Anyone who is an avid user will most likely purchase it, and people who are only casually into it will end up buying to get the level playing field.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #382
spleen1015
Coordinator

This is the kind of shit games need. Really, I need my kid spending even more of his money on this useless crap on XBOX Live. This sort of thing is right in his wheel house, too. He'd love it if there were cheats like this in his games. He would be all over it.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #383
wade moore
lolzcat

You guys keep using this word cheat, as I said earlier to Kodos - I do not believe it means what you think it means.

Quote:
Old 06-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #384
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
You guys keep using this word cheat, as I said earlier to Kodos - I do not believe it means what you think it means.

You're right. It is not really a cheat. I don't know what we'd call it. Either way, you're shelling out $$$ to make the game easier. They know there are people on there like my kid who would buy it without blinking.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #385
Kodos
Resident Alien

It absolutely is a cheat. You are getting an unearned advantage against your competitors. It may not be exploiting a flaw in the game (since it was part of the design), but it is absolutely cheating if you use it in a multiplayer environment where it hasn't been agreed that everyone can/should use it.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #386
Logan
Head Coach

That's a horrible, incorrect, incomplete explanation.

Last edited by Logan : 06-16-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #387
Kodos
Resident Alien

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cheat

n.
An act of cheating; a fraud or swindle.

One who cheats; a swindler.

A computer application, password, or disallowed technique used to advance to a higher skill level in a computer video game.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:15 AM   #388
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cheat

n.
An act of cheating; a fraud or swindle.

One who cheats; a swindler.

A computer application, password, or disallowed technique used to advance to a higher skill level in a computer video game.

You just proved MY point, not yours.

It is not a rogue application, disallowed technique, etc. It is a built-in part of the game.

Quote:
Old 06-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #389
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
You'd love being an IU football fan then.

so true...so true
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #390
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
You just proved MY point, not yours.

It is not a rogue application, disallowed technique, etc. It is a built-in part of the game.

Right. A built-in part of the game that is called a "cheat".

This is a retarded argument that we are in. I know you like to argue just to argue, but I don't, so I'll just say this and back out of this particular conversation as far as NCAA 2010 goes.

Obviously, if everyone agrees to use it, then it is not cheating, but instead just a pointless way for everyone to agree to line EA's pockets a bit more. I'm saying it is cheating in a multiplayer environment unless everyone agrees that it is okay to use it beforehand. It's certainly not cheating in singleplayer, although I would never use it there either.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-16-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:45 AM   #391
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FWIW.....Tiger Woods 10 had a DLC course (Spyglass Hill) released on the day of release for $7.50. It obviously could have been included given that Spyglass Hill was in previous versions, but it wasn't. Never underestimate the greed of a developer.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #392
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That's pretty lame that they make you buy cheat codes, and then you can use them against people that don't have that particular cheat code enabled.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #393
JediKooter
Coordinator

Looks like I will cheat EA out of the money they would have gotten from me by not buying NCAA.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #394
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It was announced today that those who pre-order from Gamestop will get the Madden demo as an early exclusive. It will feature 4 5-minute quarters of Steelers vs Cardinals with adjustable difficulty levels. I wonder if those who get the demo the conventional method will also get 4 5-minute quarters?
Old 06-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #395
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
FWIW.....Tiger Woods 10 had a DLC course (Spyglass Hill) released on the day of release for $7.50. It obviously could have been included given that Spyglass Hill was in previous versions, but it wasn't. Never underestimate the greed of a developer.
I don't have a big problem with stadiums, courses, teams, uniforms being used as DLC. It's still a business. I've been saying that I'd love to see The Show add historic stadiums and don't have a problem charging us for it.

I do have a problem with DLC that essentially forces you to buy it. Whether it's this or a game that offers better guns for a few bucks. It gives those who pay an advantage and forces everyone to buy it to be on the same playing field. If NCAA wants to sell some extra uniforms or FCS schools as DLC, I'm fine with it, but this sucks.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #396
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:

I didn't want the Princess Bride reference to go unappreciated.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #397
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

A new offline franchise blog is up. Some encouraging info in there:

http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...2-q-amp-a.aspx
Old 06-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #398
RainMaker
General Manager

Offline franchise is my favorite mode so that is encouraging. I'd love for them to get it back up to where it was back in 2002-2003 when I was going 5-6 seasons deep with teams.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #399
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Anybody want a peanut?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #400
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't have a big problem with stadiums, courses, teams, uniforms being used as DLC. It's still a business. I've been saying that I'd love to see The Show add historic stadiums and don't have a problem charging us for it.

There's a distinct difference between providing additional content after release and charging $7.50 on release day for content that has been in previous year versions of the game. That's ridiculous.