Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-10-2006, 10:34 PM   #351
sabotai
General Manager

Well, the refs were off on maybe two calls that went against the Giants.

But, the Giants had 10 penalties, at least 8 of which were clearly right. Manning's fumbled killed the Giants. A false start on 3rd and inches killed them. Indy going 11-16 on 3rd down. Morton being an idiot on his returns. The Giants doing horrible on the other end of special teams. Feely's missed FG.

None of that stuff were the ref's fault. The Giants need to stop it with the dumb penalties (and it would be nice if they could get a reliable kicker)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #352
aran
High School Varsity

That offensive pass interference call definitely lost the Giants the game.

It's pointless to ignore that call and just blame their loss on other mistakes, because no matter how well a team plays, you can always nitpick your way into rationalizing a loss.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:45 PM   #353
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Damn the Giants screwed that last drive up

Giants beat themselves, but I do think the refs made a couple big mistakes late.

One was ruling that the game clock ran from 1:06 to :57 on an incomplete pass of ~10 yards up the middle. There's no way that play took :09.

I also felt like that last Hail Mary should've been defensive pass interference with the Giants getting one more crack at the end zone. Looked like two of the Colts' DB's were jumping all over the Giant WR, with one guy draped over his back.

Neither of those plays cost the Giants the game, but I do think the refs got them wrong, and I wish they hadn't.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:45 PM   #354
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post

It's pointless to ignore that call and just blame their loss on other mistakes, because no matter how well a team plays, you can always nitpick your way into rationalizing a loss.

Yep, horrible call.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #355
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Harrison just pissed me off. Why couldn't he get that just a yard or two deeper and in the endzone. I have him in 4 of my fantasy leagues.

Because Harrison has himself out of 4 fantasy league.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:49 PM   #356
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Redskins-Dallas. Week two of Football Night in America. Yeah, NBC didn't get screwed on that matchup. *rolls eyes*

Say what you will about the Skins and the Cowboys this year, this matchup will bring ratings. They most certainly did not get screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:50 PM   #357
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Because, you know, it was guaranteed that the Giants would have scored after this play...

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-10-2006, 10:55 PM   #358
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
It's pointless to ignore that call and just blame their loss on other mistakes

It's pointless to blame one call and ignore all of the other mistakes.

Besides, it's not like that was a TD pass called back or deep into Indy territory. That would have put the Giants on their own 37 yard line. They still would have had a LOT of work to do. That call may have ended up costing the Giants a FG or TD, but there's no way you can say that it absolutely did.

Quote:
because no matter how well a team plays, you can always nitpick your way into rationalizing a loss.

True, but with all of the mistakes the Giants did make, you can't call it nitpicking. 10 penalties is inexcusable. Ok, say 1 was BS, 9 penalties is still inexcusable. Feely missing a 40 yard field goal is inexcusable. Having the opposing team go 11-16 on 3rd down is inexcusable. These aren't nitpicking things. These are fundamental things that are wrong with the Giants that need to be fixed if they seriously want to be Super Bowl contenders.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:02 PM   #359
wade moore
lolzcat

You forgot 2 EASY interceptions dropped and 1 catchaple interception dropped.

Quote:
Old 09-10-2006, 11:09 PM   #360
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I hate when the refs make defensive players drop should have been INTs. I also hate when the refs make QBs do crappy handoffs to RBs, resulting in fumbles. And I REALLY REALLY hate when refs make QBs throw inaccurate passes.

I hate refs.

I heart Cringer.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #361
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
You forgot 2 EASY interceptions dropped and 1 catchaple interception dropped.

I didn't forget...I just felt like I piled enough on to make my point. But yeah, 1 INT out of 4 Should haves is not enough, especially when those three misses weren't just within reach, but bounced off both hands all three times.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:01 AM   #362
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

lol, surely you can't be serious.

Can I nominate that as the whiner of the week post?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:51 AM   #363
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
F you, Kwame Harris.

I haven't watched the game yet, but I did manage to watch the 4th quarter at work. Nice to see Harris is up to his old tricks.

Nolan was on a roll this offseason.

Get rid of Lloyd - check
Get rid of Barlow - check
Git rid of Harris - I still have someone to boo when I go to the games this season
Old 09-11-2006, 12:53 AM   #364
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Unfortunately not, at least not on Sunday. NBC has the rights to do the highlight show on Sunday and does it before the Sunday Night Game.

Besides, PTI, Primetime was the only show on ESPN I actually enjoyed.

UGHHH!!! And I was staying up for PrimeTime.

Does that mean no more "jacked up" bits as well?
Old 09-11-2006, 01:42 AM   #365
JS19
College Prospect

Just got back from the Giants game. Here's my take:

Colts have a very well disciplined O-Line. The stadium was loud as hell but Peyton still got all his audibles off and only 1 false start.

Giants have are not very disciplined. False starts killed us.

That "interference" call on Burress was bullshit. Not saying %100 they would have scored, but you kinda had that feeling the way they were moving the ball and the energy in the game that they would have, but who knows.

Feely sucks ass. If he woulda made that FG, the Giants would have had the lead when they had the ball with I think around 4 minutes left and instead of having to pass, they could have run the ball, wasted some clock and Colts time outs, and who knows, maybe picked up some first downs and did some damage.

Peyton is amazing on 3rd downs, or the Giants just suck ass at preventing 1st downs.

Tiki Barber should play every position.

And can someone please tell me what an illegal snap is. Never knew there was a way to illegaly snap a football.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:58 AM   #366
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post

And can someone please tell me what an illegal snap is. Never knew there was a way to illegaly snap a football.

Usually a double clutch, but I think they will also call that if the center flexes his hand to simulate a snap.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:23 AM   #367
Butter
Coordinator

If you didn't watch it, the NFL Blitz on the Sunday night Sportscenter was very NFL Primetime-esque... detailed highlights, just Berman and Jackson, virtually the same thing. Actually, it was more in detail than Primetime had been the last couple of years, when it seemed like they pretty much just had maybe one clip more than the standard ESPNEWS highlight package. Good job by ESPN on something, finally.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:32 AM   #368
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
If you didn't watch it, the NFL Blitz on the Sunday night Sportscenter was very NFL Primetime-esque... detailed highlights, just Berman and Jackson, virtually the same thing. Actually, it was more in detail than Primetime had been the last couple of years, when it seemed like they pretty much just had maybe one clip more than the standard ESPNEWS highlight package. Good job by ESPN on something, finally.
That sounds nice, but if I have to sit through SportsCenter to find this NFL Blitz thing, I don't think it's worth it. I wonder if NFL Blitz will be at a set time every week or if it'll be something that you might miss if you're not watching SportsCenter at the right time. That would determine whether I watch it or not.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 09-11-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:03 AM   #369
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Usually a double clutch, but I think they will also call that if the center flexes his hand to simulate a snap.

Also a new rule this year, dubbed the Olin Kreutz Rule. Center must stay perfectly still at least a full second prior to the snap. Kreutz twitches his off hand when he's lined up, which is now illegal to do.

Lame.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:07 AM   #370
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Also a new rule this year, dubbed the Olin Kreutz Rule. Center must stay perfectly still at least a full second prior to the snap. Kreutz twitches his off hand when he's lined up, which is now illegal to do.

Lame.

Yeah, I know Jeff Hartings was pissed about the new rule as well.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:07 AM   #371
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Lame.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #372
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

Lame.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:21 AM   #373
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post

You should do this all the time jb. It helps your english skills more then anything else you could do.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:29 AM   #374
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
You should do this all the time jb. It helps your english skills more then anything else you could do.

Doh, he forgot to mess up his english!
Old 09-11-2006, 11:11 AM   #375
Daimyo
College Starter

The Colts-Giants game was strange. The Giants should have won the game in a walk, but enough mistakes to give it to the Colts.

As a Colt's fan I'm now very concerned about the team... they look like the Colts teams of three or four years ago (when James was back but still recovering from his injury) that can't run or stop the run effectively. They should still get 10 wins just from Manning, but if they're going to be legit Super Bowl challengers they really need Adai/Rhodes to be effective AND the D-line to stop the run. Hopefully Simon can help with the latter when he's healthy.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:06 PM   #376
MikeVic
Head Coach

stevew is jbmagic?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:09 PM   #377
MikeVic
Head Coach

What the hell is going on during the Vikings/Redskins game?? They're talking to Jamie Foxx, about Tim Cruise, etc. way more than actually calling the game.

So horrible!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:10 PM   #378
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That was one hell of a decleating block on that Redskins punt return.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:12 PM   #379
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
What the hell is going on during the Vikings/Redskins game?? They're talking to Jamie Foxx, about Tim Cruise, etc. way more than actually calling the game.

So horrible!!!

Agree 100% I am a fan of Foxx but this is annoying as hell. Not only that, but Tony and Theisman has absolutely no chemistry what so ever.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #380
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolson View Post
Agree 100% I am a fan of Foxx but this is annoying as hell. Not only that, but Tony and Theisman has absolutely no chemistry what so ever.

I noticed this during the pre-season. There were many awkward moments between the two. Tony has that joking sarcastic attitude, and Theisman takes it serious and just shoots him down.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:20 PM   #381
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Just got back from the Giants game. Here's my take:

Colts have a very well disciplined O-Line. The stadium was loud as hell but Peyton still got all his audibles off and only 1 false start.

Giants have are not very disciplined. False starts killed us.

That "interference" call on Burress was bullshit. Not saying %100 they would have scored, but you kinda had that feeling the way they were moving the ball and the energy in the game that they would have, but who knows.

Feely sucks ass. If he woulda made that FG, the Giants would have had the lead when they had the ball with I think around 4 minutes left and instead of having to pass, they could have run the ball, wasted some clock and Colts time outs, and who knows, maybe picked up some first downs and did some damage.

Peyton is amazing on 3rd downs, or the Giants just suck ass at preventing 1st downs.

Tiki Barber should play every position.

Should've sold your tickets.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:25 PM   #382
MikeVic
Head Coach

It's like Theismann has no sense of humour.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:33 PM   #383
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
It's like Theismann has no sense of humour.

That's probably why he glared at me when I bumped into him (literally) at an airport and asked him if he'd run into Lawrence Taylor lately...

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:47 PM   #384
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Um... did Ricky Waters just call the World Trade Center the tallest buildings in this country? Someone need(ed) to play more games at Soldier Field.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-11-2006 at 08:37 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #385
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I didn't see- any idea who is doing their highlights? Then again, I think the combo of Berman and Jackson was why I liked it, that and the insanely high production values, and NBC won't be able to duplicate the feel of either.
If you replaced Bettis and Sharpe with Len Dawson and Nick Buoniconti, then Football Night in America would be Inside the NFL circa 1987. The format was stale, the pace was slow and the only thing "hip" about it was everybody lounging around on ridiculously sized purple sofa chairs. Which, someone needs to tell them, isn't exactly hip.

The innovation, pace and production values of ESPN are gone. NBC is the new CBS -- this is a highlight show for baby boomers.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #386
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

How come we've never had a Suzy Kolber Hot or Not?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:36 PM   #387
Logan
Head Coach

Joe Namath concurs.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:58 PM   #388
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Is ESPN serious with the clock/score/yardage screen centered near the bottom, floating right in the middle of everything? WTF?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:21 PM   #389
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

As a Jets fan it does my heart good to watch John Hall blow it.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:21 PM   #390
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

and hall misses the 48 yarder... game vikings
Old 09-11-2006, 09:28 PM   #391
wade moore
lolzcat

As a Skins fan this game was both encouraging and discouraging.

The offense did actually move the ball, but the red zone offense was just TERRIBLE.

In addition, the run D really scared me. Against a proven line/RB we could really struggle.

Side note - some more bad officiating. Some pretty inconsinstent and bad calls, but I'm by no means blaming that on the loss. The skins inability to get TD's instead of FG's is what lost the game.

Quote:
Old 09-11-2006, 09:31 PM   #392
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
As a Skins fan this game was both encouraging and discouraging.

The offense did actually move the ball, but the red zone offense was just TERRIBLE.

In addition, the run D really scared me. Against a proven line/RB we could really struggle.

Side note - some more bad officiating. Some pretty inconsinstent and bad calls, but I'm by no means blaming that on the loss. The skins inability to get TD's instead of FG's is what lost the game.

Don't get too down on the Redskins line. The Vikings have an above-average line... and who knows how Chester Taylor will do later onthis season, but he could be decent.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #393
miami_fan
Coordinator

Childress was not just talking when he said he was going to run the ball. He has impressed me in his regular season debut.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:46 PM   #394
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

The Chargers begin their first drive by completely babying Rivers. LT is still a demigod.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #395
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

do they go for it? LT is good for it i think...
Old 09-11-2006, 10:06 PM   #396
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

yup... 4th and goal at the 1, LT gets the TD, this is gonna be a blow out...

hes got 88 yards and a td already and the 2nd quarter only just started
Old 09-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #397
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Damn Raiders
Old 09-11-2006, 10:20 PM   #398
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Damn Raiders

we're all waiting to be surprised when they make the playoffs.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:23 PM   #399
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
we're all waiting to be surprised when they make the playoffs.

They will. Like I said 10-6 record and they will make the playoffs.

One half doesn't make the season.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:25 PM   #400
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
They will. Like I said 10-6 record and they will make the playoffs.

One half doesn't make the season.

You're right one half just makes them look worse then we all even thought...