Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #351
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Apparently you can't be a fan of the opposing team in the Buccaneers' stadium? Security: Tampa Bay Handcuffs And Ejects You For Rooting For The Opposing Football Team

/tk

A Raiders fan being ejected from a stadium and he claim he was "just cheering" for his team... Kind of like the guy who gets pulled over while doing 90 in a 45 and asks "What did I do wrong?".
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #352
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Stats aside, I think the biggest knock on Rodgers has been his poor play in close games late. I remember seeing a stat during the Monday Night game and I thought it said his rating was in the 30's.

I don't remember seeing the stat, but Rodgers has put the Packers in position to win games. Crosby gets a FG blocked in Chicago and misses the game winner in Minnesota and it's somehow Rodgers' fault for losing those games.

He gives them 4th quarter leads against Tennessee, Carolina, Chicago, Minnesota, Jacksonville, ties it up late against Houston, and they lose all these games. People just ignore what he does for 3 and a half quarters and put all the blame on him when a punt his Jarred Bush in the leg.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #353
molson
General Manager

No reason for gambling degenerates to wait for this last game:

(from Vegas.com - Caesars/Station odds)

Atlanta -2.5 at Arizona
Philadelphia -3/-2.5 at Minnesota
Baltimore -3 at Miami

Last edited by molson : 12-28-2008 at 08:35 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #354
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
No reason for gambling degenerates to wait for this last game:

(from Vegas.com - Caesars/Station odds)

Atlanta -2.5 at Arizona
Philadelphia -3/-2.5 at Philadelphia
Baltimore -3 at Miami

I have no idea what team to put money on.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #355
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

The Broncos are truly terrible. Blow up the whole secondary and replace them with almost anybody. It really can't get much worse than this.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #356
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
The Broncos are truly terrible. Blow up the whole secondary and replace them with almost anybody. It really can't get much worse than this.

Yes it can...because once this game is over you will realize that there will be no Arena league for you to watch this year.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #357
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Heh. No one is surprised at this but given the Bolts were 4-8, it's still a bit of a shock.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #358
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Stick a fork, knife, and any other silverware you have handy in the Broncos. They're done.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #359
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Deltha O'Neal will be available in the offseason
Old 12-28-2008, 08:38 PM   #360
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Yes it can...because once this game is over you will realize that there will be no Arena league for you to watch this year.
Yeah, I guess I'll have to become an ECHL expert like I used to be 7 years ago. I need something, even if it isn't football.
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Deltha O'Neal will be available in the offseason
After watching the crap Denver's rolled out this season, I'd almost like to have him back.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #361
Jas_lov
College Starter

Denver can make it a 2 score game here. Too bad they can't stop anybody. Bob Slowick was terrible in Green Bay and I don't know why Denver hired him. This is a epic collapse by the Broncos if they lose. After they beat the Jets in New York, it was all but over.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #362
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Denver can make it a 2 score game here. Too bad they can't stop anybody. Bob Slowick was terrible in Green Bay and I don't know why Denver hired him. This is a epic collapse by the Broncos if they lose. After they beat the Jets in New York, it was all but over.

...or Cutler could throw a pick
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #363
Jas_lov
College Starter

Yeah, so much for that. Stick a fork in Denver.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #364
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Seems like a few historic-type collapses this year (Jets and Broncos to name two). The Mets should be taking notes.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #365
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
Seems like a few historic-type collapses this year (Jets and Broncos to name two). The Mets should be taking notes.

Add Tampa to that list.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #366
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Hey, for you drinkers out there, here's a drinking game for tonight. Drink every time the Broncos miss an easy tackle.
If you're playing this game and you saw the Sproles touchdown just now, you are drunk as shit.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #367
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Hopefully Chargers-Colts will live up to the expectations -- two very hot teams playing at the level we expected before the season started.

As someone with an intense dislike of the Broncos and not-so-veiled hatred of Mike Shanahan, this game is very enjoyable.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #368
st.cronin
General Manager

What a terrible weekend of football for me, personally.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #369
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Stats aside, I think the biggest knock on Rodgers has been his poor play in close games late. I remember seeing a stat during the Monday Night game and I thought it said his rating was in the 30's.
One of the ESPN shows explained this a little better. If you look at the close losses to Chicago, Houston, Carolina, Minnesota, Atlanta and Tennessee (1-4 points each), Rodgers led 9 scoring drives for 47 points in the 4th quarter. The defense/st allowed 11 for 61 points (in 4 and OT) and that's why GB lost. And that also discounts missed winning FGs in three of the above listed games.

What seemed to happen is that GB would score with about 4-6 minutes left and take the lead. Then, the defense would allow another score 2-3 minutes later - leaving Rodgers to again drive the length of the field in less than 2 minutes. And, in those situations, he struggled this season. Still, you have to look at the defense and special teams - which gave up almost 150 points in the 4th quarter alone this season.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #370
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
What a terrible weekend of football for me, personally.

Near-perfect for me!

Dolphins win AFC East? Check.

Patriots miss playoffs entirely? Check.

Cowboys miss playoffs entirely in humiliating fashion? Check.

If the Bucs had made it in, it would have been perfect.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-28-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #371
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I guess TroyF was right. But I wondered how many people, including him, thought the Bolts would win the division when they were 4-8 (esp. after losing 5 of 6 and only beating KC with luck) and knowing the only shot they had was to win out. Looks like Norv keeps his job, huh?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:23 PM   #372
Kodos
Resident Alien

Marty is probably annoyed with this result.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:30 PM   #373
st.cronin
General Manager

Brett Favre has not been great, or sometimes even good, in recent seasons. At this point Chad Pennington is undoubtedly a better QB. But I think some people are forgetting how good he was at his best. I still rate him as the best QB I have ever seen play the game - better than Montana, Brady, Marino, Manning, Young, or Elway.

knives out
Old 12-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #374
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Brett Favre has not been great, or sometimes even good, in recent seasons. At this point Chad Pennington is undoubtedly a better QB. But I think some people are forgetting how good he was at his best. I still rate him as the best QB I have ever seen play the game - better than Montana, Brady, Marino, Manning, Young, or Elway.

What?

He has a 61% completion percentage for his career, a qb rating of 85, and has averaged 18 interceptions per year over his career.

Favre isn't as good as ESPN makes him out to be and isn't as bad as some of his detractors say, but he's not in the same league as Manning, Marino, or Elway.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:43 PM   #375
st.cronin
General Manager

Elway's completion percentage: 57
Elway's qb rating: 79.9
Elway averaged 14 ints per season.

Stats aren't everything.

knives out
Old 12-28-2008, 10:44 PM   #376
Atocep
Coordinator

Marino has a comparable rating and completion percentage, but he also played in a era where the west coast offense was a part of every team's gameplan.

Favre's completion percentage and rating are pretty poor for today's qbs. Add to that people seem so willing to give him a pass on the interception problems he's had throughout his career.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:44 PM   #377
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Elway's completion percentage: 57
Elway's qb rating: 79.9
Elway averaged 14 ints per season.

Stats aren't everything.

Different eras. 4 more ints per year over your career is pretty damn big.

Last edited by Atocep : 12-28-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #378
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Marino has a comparable rating and completion percentage, but he also played in a era where the west coast offense was a part of every team's gameplan.

Favre's completion percentage and rating are pretty poor for today's qbs. Add to that people seem so willing to give him a pass on the interception problems he's had throughout his career.

Not sure how you can say that. Favre's career completion percentage would put him in the top ten of this year's qbs.

But, whatever. I'm not interested in arguing Favre's case. There was a time when he was regarded as one of the elite all time qbs, and there will be a time when he will again be regarded that way, after the image of the last few seasons has faded from memory.

knives out
Old 12-28-2008, 11:48 PM   #379
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I don't think it's unreasonable to put the 94-04 Favre in the same class as Elway or Marino. He averaged 31-16 and nearly 4000 yards (without missing any games). And, in 8 of those 11 seasons he had 30 or more TDs and 16 or fewer Ints.

Elway never had more than 27 TDs in his career, despite playing in 6 of those 11 same seasons. Marino had 31 TDs just twice in his career (granted it was a different era). It's also interesting that Favre (1 every 31 passes) had a similar rate of INTs as Marino (1 every 33) and Elway (1 every 32) in their careers. So, I think it's downplaying Favre's career to state he wasn't in the class of Marino or Elway as he was easily the top QB playing in the 1994-2004 era.

Last edited by Arles : 12-28-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #380
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This could go in its own thread, but I'll just put it here. ESPN is reporting that Brady's knee still has signs of the infection in the join, the ligaments are loose, and that it could cost him the 2009 season. It will be very interesting to see if they can convince Cassel to stay as insurance in case Brady won't be back.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:21 AM   #381
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Favre isn't as good as ESPN makes him out to be and isn't as bad as some of his detractors say, but he's not in the same league as Manning, Marino, or Elway.

Oh come on, those other guys you mentioned with perhaps the exception of Marino had much better talent to work with. Elway and Manning had their most succesful seasons when surrounded by superior talent to anything Favre has ever had.

I don't pleasure myself to the image of Favre like many in the media, but he does deserve a lot of credit. He was the only reason the Packers were competitive during his prime. Name some of the big names he's had to throw to. Or perhaps the running backs to take the pressure off him. Edgar Bennett? Dorsey Levens? Antonio Freeman? Robert Brooks? Come on. He was able to polish a turd and made a lot of receivers much richer than they deserved. He never had the offensive line that could give him all day to throw.

Favre is a unique player and tough to judge to others. I think he would have fared much better than Manning with the rosters he has had over the years. However, I don't think he could thrive in a system with players that Indianapolis has had. He's great at turning mediocre teams into great ones. Manning is best at getting the most out of great teams.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:25 AM   #382
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
This could go in its own thread, but I'll just put it here. ESPN is reporting that Brady's knee still has signs of the infection in the join, the ligaments are loose, and that it could cost him the 2009 season. It will be very interesting to see if they can convince Cassel to stay as insurance in case Brady won't be back.

Cassel would be insane to stay. He has had a solid year and will get a nice fat contract from someone like San Francisco, Minnesota or Kansas City.

Favre would actually be a real interesting option for New England. I think he'd have to be assured of being the starter there though for the year. Otherwise I could see them taking a flier at a couple guys with strong arms who have been coached poorly. A guy like Rex Grossman will be available and could get a chance to showcase his arm for a half season under a high powered offense.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:37 AM   #383
st.cronin
General Manager

O'Connell may well be ready to start by 09. He's generally regarded as a better long term prospect than Cassell in Patsland.

I don't see Favre or Grossman making any sense for New England. They could go with a veteran for a year, but it probably wouldn't be either one of those guys.

knives out
Old 12-29-2008, 01:55 AM   #384
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Cassel would be insane to stay. He has had a solid year and will get a nice fat contract from someone like San Francisco, Minnesota or Kansas City.

Favre would actually be a real interesting option for New England. I think he'd have to be assured of being the starter there though for the year. Otherwise I could see them taking a flier at a couple guys with strong arms who have been coached poorly. A guy like Rex Grossman will be available and could get a chance to showcase his arm for a half season under a high powered offense.

Two words: Franchise tag.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:13 AM   #385
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Two words: Franchise tag.

Can the Patriots actually afford to do that? How much salary cap space would be taken by two QBs if they franchise tagged Cassel? I don't know what the pricetag of that would be, but I can't imagine it to be cheap at the QB position.

I can't see the Pats keeping both of them because of that. They will have to gamble one way or another, there is no way you can have like 1/4th of your entire salary cap eaten up by one position.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #386
Logan
Head Coach

It's more like 1/5th but I'll let you have it .

Quote:
Brady’s 2009 salary is $5 million and he’s also due a $3 million roster bonus. Relative to the league’s other successful quarterbacks, he’s a bargain. But if the Patriots opt to franchise Cassel as insurance, that means the team will have close to $20 million in salary to be paid out to their two quarterbacks. Additionally, $6.6 million of Brady’s pro-rated signing bonus will count against their 2009 cap. That would mean the Patriots would be spending close to $26 million of the projected $123 million salary cap on these two quarterbacks.

Curran: Brady behind schedule in recovery from surgery - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

I think the most likely scenario is the Pats tag Cassell but swing him to a team for a #1 pick (as opposed to the 1st and 3rd a team would have to give up by signing him, correct?) and use both their 1sts on addressing that aging D. Roll with O'Connell if Brady can't go, maybe sign a stop-gap veteran as insurance.

Last edited by Logan : 12-29-2008 at 08:00 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #387
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
But I think some people are forgetting how good he was at his best. I still rate him as the best QB I have ever seen play the game - better than Montana, Brady, Marino, Manning, Young, or Elway.

Montana and Manning are better picks almost to a default because they weren't so highly known for throwing rookie INTs even 15 seasons in. Montana's numbers in the playoffs and certainly in the SB are just sick and wrong. If you want to bring up Montana playing for the 49ers, let's not forget his Monday Night game when he was with the Chiefs.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #388
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Story of how bad Peyton's knee actually was this offseason

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../Week17/1.html

How is he not the MVP this year?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #389
Logan
Head Coach

Looks like Mangini is out.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #390
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Matt Schaub might not like Houston much, but...surely Matt Cassel will take a lesson from him and learn that being the backup to the big guy and waiting for a disaster is cute when you've got nothing to do lose, but a poor financial decision when folks will pay you big bucks to bail.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #391
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Excellent news.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:33 AM   #392
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Get a caretaker in there, wait a few years and then get Raheem Morris from Tampa. The guy is Mike Tomlin redux.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #393
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:

That means Favre is probably done as well. Cross my fingers.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:50 AM   #394
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Story of how bad Peyton's knee actually was this offseason

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../Week17/1.html

How is he not the MVP this year?

Holy crap. My admiration for Manning only continues to grow.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #395
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
After watching the crap the AFC West teams rolled out at CB this season, I'd almost like to have him back.

Fixed
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #396
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Very early word makes it seem like Spagnolo will be the top choice.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #397
molson
General Manager

It's so awesome that Pennington won the division over Favre....I think I just grasped that...Did anyone call this scenerio in the Favre drama threads?

Channing Crowder's kind of funny

"Chad beat the hell out of the New York Jets , who let him go to bring in somebody else," said the Dolphins linebacker. "They got rid of him because they thought somebody else was better and now he came back and beat the hell out of him and them at home to win the division championship.

"I love it. I love the Jets' decision to get rid of him. We had all the talent in the world and needed a guy who is a rock, not an off-the-wall, crazy-spinning, underhanded-toss guy."

That's the best description of Favre as a QB I've ever heard.

Last edited by molson : 12-29-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #398
gstelmack
Pro Starter

A fitting end to the Favre era after all the drama he caused. Looks like we called it right when saying he'd be more like the 05/06 Favre than the 07 anomaly.

Sad to see the Pats out, but their inability to stop the Jets in that Monday night game did them in.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #399
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Can the Patriots actually afford to do that? How much salary cap space would be taken by two QBs if they franchise tagged Cassel? I don't know what the pricetag of that would be, but I can't imagine it to be cheap at the QB position.

I can't see the Pats keeping both of them because of that. They will have to gamble one way or another, there is no way you can have like 1/4th of your entire salary cap eaten up by one position.

If you place a player on IR for the season, does it free up that player's cap space for the year?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #400
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't think that has any bearing on the salary cap.