Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2003, 09:12 PM   #351
mrushh
High School Varsity

Cowtown defeated the T-1st place team, 2-0, to reach 9 games undefeated with 2 wins in a row.

We are now in 3rd place, 2 points ahead of 4th place, who we play in the final game next sunday. A win or tie gives us 3rd.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:48 AM   #352
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by TredWel
On the plus side, my youth squad just hit solid

Woohoo! Congrats!

Quote:
A pleasant guy who is fiery and infamous.

Always dig those fiery, yet pleasant peoples.

Quote:
Stamina: weak Goaltending: disastrous
Playmaking: passable Passing: inadequate
Winger: passable Defending: poor
Scoring: poor Set Pieces: wretched

That is nice indeed!
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 02:04 AM   #353
Vince
Pro Starter

Ok, I'm trying to figure out how terrible my team is in relation to other Division V FOFC Hattrickers...

I just got my team about a week and a half ago, and have played three games. In game 1, I didn't realize I had my team yet, so I hadn't set the lineup (we lost 8-0 to the 3rd place team). In our friendly, we lost 5-1, and my output was quite bad...and finally, in our recent league game we lost 5-1 as well to the #2 team in the series, but my keeper went down early in the second half, as did my starting left wing back, and 3 of the goals were allowed on the backups. Here are my ratings and star output for the two games I actually had an influence on...how do you guys normally fare?

Game 1: Loss 5-1 to Team Groomers (#8 in Division V.150)
13 Total stars (Best was both wingers @ 2, worst was a few at .5)
Midfield: Wretched
Right Side Defense: Weak
Central Defense: Weak
Left Side Defense: Poor
Right Side Attack: Poor
Central Attack: Wretched
Left Side Attack: Poor

Game 2: Loss 5-1 to Epoxy United
19 Total Stars (Best was C. Defender @ 2.5, worst was Left Wing Back replacement with .5, even though he scored my only goal)
Midfield: Wretched
Right Side Defense: Weak
Central Defense: Weak (not so sure about this...my central defender has solid defense, and got the best rating of all my players for the match)
Left Side Defense: Poor
Right Side Attack: Inadequate
Central Attack: Inadequate
Left Side Attack: Passable

Now, game two was the first one when I had my now standard lineup in, and what I feel is a more true measure of my squad's capabilities. Just for comparison, what kind of games do you guys usually put up? How many stars, and what kind of ratings do you shoot for? Inadequate, Passable, Solid?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 02:06 AM   #354
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
And when training, should I train skills 6 weeks (or the recommended for that skill) in a row, or alternate skills weekly?

Just an opinion here, but I'd imagine it depends on what you're looking for. If you're trying to create a particular team strength by solidifying a particular aspect of your team before moving on to another area (see: DK's defense and ardent's scoring), then a longer period at a particular area might be what you're looking for.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:08 AM   #355
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Now, game two was the first one when I had my now standard lineup in, and what I feel is a more true measure of my squad's capabilities. Just for comparison, what kind of games do you guys usually put up? How many stars, and what kind of ratings do you shoot for? Inadequate, Passable, Solid?

I think 25 stars will get you a promotion quite easily. My 23 would get me 2nd place in our division if I had controlled the team the entire year. As for rating, weak/inad midfield is what you really need to shoot for. Aside from that, try to get a couple of solids or highers and make sure everything else is inad or higher. That should get your a promotion in a typical division V. Of course there are some that are much harder and much easier.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 02:13 AM   #356
Vince
Pro Starter

Thanks SI...I was fairly certain that I needed at least a few more stars to really compete. It seems that my division is fairly average, as I can almost hang with the #2 squad now, and I'm quite unhappy with my performance. By the end of next season I'm fairly certain that I'll have one of the stronger teams in the division (listen to me talk...winning that IM basketball game tonight has made me cocky as hell )
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 09:56 AM   #357
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Just a word of caution to all those who care to listen...

Don't pay too much attention to star ratings for your entire team. For rating one player against another, stars are an excellent (or perhaps even formidable? )way to judge performances. But for rating your team against others, it can be misleading.

For example, the team that I defeated this weekend in my league match actually had my team beat by 2 stars, 31-29, yet I defeated them 3-1. In any given week, I think I have never had the highest "star" turnout in my series, yet I am in first place. I know there are a number of other examples of this, where the team with the best "star power" is not going to win their series.

I have devised another (albeit rough) system for judging team strength, that seems to me to be a better way to measure team strength. Simply add up the numerical equivalent of your team ratings from your last match, with midfield counting double.

For example, my last match:

-Midfield: Inadequate (5)
-Right Defense: Brilliant (11)
-Central Defense: Brilliant (11)
-Left Defense: Brilliant (11)
-Right Attack: Passable (6)
-Central Attack: Passable (6)
-Left Attack: Inadequate (5)

10 (midfield*2) + 11 + 11 + 11 + 6 + 6 + 5 = 60

My opponent, despite having me beat by 2 stars, totalled only 53. I won the match, 3-1.

I've been toying with this formula for a little while now, and while it is far from perfect, it seems to be a better measure of team strength than total stars. There is a saying on the Hattrick Conferences that "Stars are EVIL," and I wouldn't want to see you guys fall into the trap of putting too much emphasis on them.

Happy Hattricking!
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:55 AM   #358
Katon
College Benchwarmer

At what point to I begin to have a chance of actually getting reasonable players from my youth squad? It's at poor now, so I assume that I won't get anyone who can actually play from it, but when should I start pulling?
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 12:07 PM   #359
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Katon
At what point to I begin to have a chance of actually getting reasonable players from my youth squad? It's at poor now, so I assume that I won't get anyone who can actually play from it, but when should I start pulling?

I would start at inadequate. If anything you can start pulling keepers and get a couple of inadequates if you are lucky and sell for 10-20k. It also helps in making it a routine so you dont forget later when your youth squad rating is better.

Quote:
Wooohoo...something for Hornedfrog to shoot for

I saw that. Dont tempt me.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:57 PM   #360
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedFrog Purple
I would start at inadequate...

Bah! I pulled an inad defender with a weak youth squad. Anything's possible.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:36 PM   #361
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have devised another (albeit rough) system for judging team strength, that seems to me to be a better way to measure team strength. Simply add up the numerical equivalent of your team ratings from your last match, with midfield counting double.

Hmm... new fun method to possibly include in my dynasty report: Maybe I should call it the DKI (Data King Index).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:19 PM   #362
Havok
College Starter

Well.... i blame you all for what i just did!!

I just signed up for a team at Hattrick.
The Maniacal Misfitz are now awaiting authorization!!

Expect me to be asking alot of questions on these boards. Cause after reading the rules section im already confussed. Even though i played Soccer most of my life i've never got into watching it on T.V. (except Worldcup) So i have no idea how European Leagues are run.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:16 PM   #363
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Marshall Foote (4025852)
24 years, weak form, healthy

A controversial person who is balanced and upright.
Has wretched experience and wretched leadership abilities.

Speciality: Unpredictable

Code:
Stamina: inadequate Goaltending: wretched Playmaking: inadequate Passing: weak Winger: solid Defending: passable Scoring: passable Set Pieces: inadequate

Since I would like to upgrade my stadium I am thinking of listing two players who are on the better side.

Makoto Kunomasu (8328373)
19 years, passable form, healthy

A nasty fellow who is calm and dishonest.
Has disastrous experience and weak leadership abilities.

Nationality: Oceania
Assessed value: 172 000 US$
Wage: 1 704 US$/week including 20% Bonus
Owner: Spring Grove Fighting Eagles
Warnings: 0

Code:
Stamina: wretched Goaltending: passable Playmaking: disastrous Passing: disastrous Winger: disastrous Defending: disastrous Scoring: disastrous Set Pieces: disastrous

Should I list these guys this late in the season, or jsut wait till next season starts? How much should I put them up for, too? Thanks in advance.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:08 PM   #364
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

There was a discussion on the USA conf boards about this.

List them either right before the new season starts, or early, early on. You get all the people who want fresh trainees, and all the people who wanna shore up their weak spots.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 08:26 PM   #365
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Thanks Coffee! Anyone know if you get some kind of prize money for finishing at a ceratin position, or for winning the division?
Old 03-10-2003, 08:49 PM   #366
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999
Thanks Coffee! Anyone know if you get some kind of prize money for finishing at a ceratin position, or for winning the division?

You can go to that site:
http://www.databased.at/hattrick/index.asp

Under tools, then bonuscalc, you should be able to figure out if you'll earn any pesos... 1 euro = 1 US$...

Later, FrogMan.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 08:51 PM   #367
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola

Is it just me or are you having trouble logging in to Hattrick right now?? Right after I paid my supporter subscription, they tell me to log off and then log back on and I keep getting some timeout error...
Old 03-10-2003, 08:54 PM   #368
McSweeny
College Starter

yeah i'm getting an error too... it usually works if you just wait a few minutes and try again later
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 08:55 PM   #369
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by McSweeny
yeah i'm getting an error too... it usually works if you just wait a few minutes and try again later

Yeah that's what I keep telling myself, but I'm an addict now, a paying addict and I WANT MY DOSE, NOW!!!

Later, FrogMan
Old 03-10-2003, 09:05 PM   #370
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Thanks Frogman! As to why teh site is down, aren't they adding new software or something, it said that it will be down for quite awhile on Tuesday. Don't know if it is Tuesday yet in Sweden though.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:06 PM   #371
McSweeny
College Starter

oh yeah i forgot about that
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:03 PM   #372
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Hey, now that you have supporter, you can support the Avengers!

We'll provide you with not only VIP passes, but also whatever our current promotional item is, emblazoned with our logo, and free of charge!

Due to more budget cuts, our Board With a Rusty Nail Through It has been discontinued for the more budget friendly but equally effective Large Rock.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:04 PM   #373
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999
Thanks Frogman! As to why teh site is down, aren't they adding new software or something, it said that it will be down for quite awhile on Tuesday. Don't know if it is Tuesday yet in Sweden though.

It's working now. I had to get offline to go watch Miracles anyway. The upgrade is supposed to be around 9:30, which should around 3:30 eastern for us... Time difference is 6 hours between Sweden time and eastern time (where I am)

Later, FrogMan.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:12 PM   #374
bbor
Pro Starter

Miracles rawked once again...what an awesome show

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:23 PM   #375
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
Miracles rawked once again...what an awesome show

Agreed, it's given me goosebumps more than once since it's started. Really good show. I wonder, do you know if it's doing good ratings wise? I'd hate to see it being cancelled after only half a season...

FrogMan.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:44 PM   #376
bbor
Pro Starter

I dunno how it is doing...but it seems to be a "niche" show...i doubt it would do too well in the ratings....especially going against CSI Miami

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:01 PM   #377
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I think this was the first of 5 straight new episodes, so hopefully it will start to catch on.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:03 PM   #378
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by BishopMVP
I think this was the first of 5 straight new episodes, so hopefully it will start to catch on.

Not to nitpick, but this was the second of 6 straight new episodes Last week's little girl lost episode was really great!

FrogMan
Old 03-10-2003, 11:46 PM   #379
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee Warlord

List them either right before the new season starts, or early, early on. You get all the people who want fresh trainees, and all the people who wanna shore up their weak spots.

Ugh. Thanks for the info. I was thinking about whether or not to list my players. Guess I'll wait now.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:09 PM   #380
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

damn you nevstar- i put a bid in on a player i really wanted, but then i had to go out to eat for dinner...i come back to see someone stole him from...i look and the team name looks really familiar and i see it is you!
Bogdan Kozuchowski - Well I hope he atleast does really good for another FOFCer.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:19 PM   #381
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee Warlord

Corollary question to this... is there signifigant risk to buying players now at the end of the season? I just bought my passable keeper, and my next step is to try to cheaply fill out my midfield and defensive lines with some inadequate players, do i need to wait until the start of the next season to do this?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:25 PM   #382
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Radii
Corollary question to this... is there signifigant risk to buying players now at the end of the season? I just bought my passable keeper, and my next step is to try to cheaply fill out my midfield and defensive lines with some inadequate players, do i need to wait until the start of the next season to do this?

What I understand is that all of your players will be aging one full year at the end of the season, kind of overnight. This means if you are buying youngsters to train them, I wouldn't buy much older than 19 (considering this will be 20 yo in a few weeks)...

Later, FrogMan.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:34 PM   #383
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by FrogMan
What I understand is that all of your players will be aging one full year at the end of the season, kind of overnight. This means if you are buying youngsters to train them, I wouldn't buy much older than 19 (considering this will be 20 yo in a few weeks)...

Later, FrogMan.

Thanks!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 02:09 PM   #384
Masked
College Starter

Just starting out...

I just learned about clowns and how much they can worth even if they have no skills. Well here is my guy.

Matt Keyesj (8726656)
25 years, weak form, healthy

A sympathetic guy who is tranquil and honest.
Has poor experience and solid leadership abilities.

Speciality: Head

Nationality: USA
Assessed value: 71 000 US$
Wage: 1 000 US$/week
Owner: Complex Spikes
Warnings: 0

Stamina: inadequate Goaltending: wretched
Playmaking: poor Passing: weak
Winger: poor Defending: solid
Scoring: passable Set Pieces: disastrous

Career Goals: 0
Career Hattricks: 0
League goals this season: 0
Cup goals this season: 0

Realistically what is he worth? I think he might be pretty valuable considering he is solid at defending and passable at scoring. Should I keep him or should I sell him?
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 02:30 PM   #385
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I would think you'd want to keep Matt on your club. Not only is he a decent team leader, but he can also probably start for you at forward or (more likely) defender.

Personally, I really like one of my defenders to be a head specialist. Not only will they score the occasional header-goal off of a corner kick, but they will also make it more difficult for opposing teams to score on headers against you.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 03-12-2003, 02:47 PM   #386
dacman
College Benchwarmer

What DK said.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:49 PM   #387
Masked
College Starter

thanks
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 02:51 PM   #388
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Anybody looking for a friendly? I forgot to set one up this week.

Team# 71368
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 02:56 PM   #389
PilotMan
Head Coach

I have two huge matches this week. First, I play ardent in the FOFC Cup, a chance to move on to the final four. Starters will most likely see action. Next, after a run of 12 consecutive wins I am poised for automatic promtion. The only problem, I am still in second place and the other team is has a killer offense. We play in my house for the title and the automatic promotion.

1. New England Black S 13 76 - 11 36

2. Midwest Ice Storm F 13 46 - 11 36
3. *Charlotte Hornets* 13 36 - 30 21
4. Parrott Rebels 13 28 - 29 16
5. 6993 13 17 - 32 16
6. Mikes Raiders 13 35 - 31 15
7. Spiffyguys 13 10 - 49 8
8. TommyHawks 13 10 - 65 6

You can definatly say MOTS!!! Great year just going to be a dissapointment when I lose.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 03:01 PM   #390
DataKing
Pro Rookie

PilotMan: Yeah, I'd say you're in trouble in that league match. The New England Black Sox would probably be in 4th place or so if they were in my Div. IV series.

But then again, home pitch advantage can play a pretty big role sometimes, so you never know. Even if you did lose, you'd definitely be the favorite to take the series title next season.

And $45,000 in prize money for 2nd place certainly can't hurt.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 03-12-2003, 03:29 PM   #391
PilotMan
Head Coach

I certainly can be proud of my team though. Look at where I stand all time with teams from my division:

1. Five Lions ---------------------28 135 - 15 72
2. New England Black S -------26117 - 40 58
3. Amburadul --------------------22 115 - 19 57
4. Midwest Ice Storm F --------9 34 - 2 27
5. Canal Rats --------------------8 26 - 3 24
6. Parrott Rebels ---------------11 17 - 27 10
7. 6993 --------------------------6 11 - 15 9
8. *Charlotte Hornets* -------9 8 - 27 9
9. TommyHawks ---------------14 10 - 70 6
10. Mikes Raiders --------------2 4 - 1 3
11. Spiffyguys ------------------5 4 - 23 0

Only games played under the team's current owners counts.

Like Steam?

Old 03-12-2003, 03:40 PM   #392
DataKing
Pro Rookie

You can't do much better than 3 points per match.

Feel the power of the FOFC!
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 03-12-2003, 03:40 PM   #393
fflix
Mascot

hey split, i challenged you just in case if you are still looking for a friendly.
how do you guys usually find opponents for friendlies? i just received my team recently and randomly challenged some people.
fflix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 04:14 PM   #394
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Go to a foreign transfer, list and send a challenge to nearly every team I see, for an international friendly at my place. Otherwise I get contacted.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:34 PM   #395
PilotMan
Head Coach

Question...

Are penalty shots scoring or set pieces?..

or something else?

Like Steam?

Old 03-12-2003, 04:48 PM   #396
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Set Pieces. Player experience, form, and scoring I believe all play a small role as well, but set pieces is the dominant statistic for penalty shots.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 03-12-2003, 04:52 PM   #397
PilotMan
Head Coach

Thanks DK

Like Steam?

Old 03-13-2003, 11:26 AM   #398
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

This 25 team limit for challenges sucks! How can I powerchallenge a country with these restrictions!
Old 03-13-2003, 11:45 AM   #399
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedFrog Purple
This 25 team limit for challenges sucks! How can I powerchallenge a country with these restrictions!

Make sure the teams you challenge are active (regularly play friendly matches) so you aren't wasting any of those 25.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 03-13-2003, 11:45 AM   #400
bbor
Pro Starter

I'm pretty sure they started that rule because of you