Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2008, 09:57 AM   #351
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Bought 2 copies this weekend (me + wife + 5 year-old daughter + 4 computers at home = 2 copies needed). Wife and I both having fun, although we're both still in the Creature phase (although we're working on the last brain expansion). I definitely see things I'd do differently next time through, so I don't think replayability (at least once more) will be an issue.

My daughter is not into the main game, as she doesn't like creatures attacking her. Although, and I'm sure my "no violence on TV" friends here will love this, while watching my wife she has finally realised that some creatures are really mean and just begging to be eaten, so we'll see if that changes. She LOVES the creator though, and is creating some awesome buildings and cars and ships. Looking forward to those populating my world.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #352
RendeR
Coordinator

I worked through a 4th planet last night, went as anti-death as I could in each phase. Couldn't help but destroy 3 of the 5 other tribes though and I used religious eforts to convert every single city on the civ phase.

I am getting ready to start the space age and I'm doing it as a Shaman. The special ability this gives you?

One step return flights to your home planet, no matter how FAR you are away. Thats a HUGE bonus in the space race.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #353
RendeR
Coordinator

I don't see the issue with replayability at all. Every single game can turn into a different result. everything leading up to space is really only there to develope WHO you are in the space segment.

I see where people find the critter stage a little tedious, even frustrating on the hard level (grumbles) but there are enough options in each stage that you can turn out as any of 10 different styles of race once you hit the space age.

I'm trying to see if I can get all 10, somehow I don't think that is going to be easy.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #354
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Did forget to mention: I'm gstelmack in Spore. I'll be adding some of you to the buddy list soon. I have kids, so my content should be safe.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #355
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

why is it so hard to find users on the spore.com page? Type in Thomkal and you get everything but Thomkal. I don't get it.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #356
Bonegavel

Bearcat
JeeberD
RendeR
Kerg01
mrsachmo
UncleMatch
Mayser
CoffeeW
Thomkal
gstelmack

Last edited by Bonegavel : 09-15-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #357
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
why is it so hard to find users on the spore.com page? Type in Thomkal and you get everything but Thomkal. I don't get it.

Well, all I'm doing now is typing in directly

hxxp://www.spore.com/view/profile/username

seems to work

Old 09-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #358
RendeR
Coordinator

I had trouble finding meyser, but everyone else came right up.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #359
Bonegavel

I knew the scroll wheel made pieces bigger/smaller (fat/skinny) but it didn't dawn on my until yesterday that you could do it to the body section. D'oh! I was messing around with the spine but I never made the body section bigger or smaller with the scroll wheel until yesterday. I was always using what shape was resulting from my spine adjustments.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #360
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

On Xspore (and other sites) there are steps to mod your files in order to make attacks and eco disasters occur less frequently so you can actually explore the galaxy.

They are indepth manual steps right now, but hopefully someone will create something more automated if you aren't comfortable changing files.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #361
RendeR
Coordinator

There are things/steps you can take in the game to make them occur less frequently as well, everything that happens in the space stage is based on what you do previously.

I'm tryin to figure out how I could possibly have changed the ways I've done these first games to get those other results, very intriguing.

The depth of this game is far more deceptive than many believe.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #362
RendeR
Coordinator

I just domesticated 3 animals, my next task is to kill the Epic Creature in tribal stage.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #363
RendeR
Coordinator

Ok that went rather easily, though it cost me 6 tribesman. Took down the 1000 hp epic beasty, gave us TONS of food. throwing spears FTW!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #364
RendeR
Coordinator

back in a bit, need food!
Old 09-16-2008, 12:16 AM   #365
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Bearcat
JeeberD
RendeR
Kerg01
mrsachmo
UncleMatch
Mayser
CoffeeW
Thomkal
gstelmack

You add me to the list and I also got kids so my content is safe as well. Our user name is Galaril
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:33 PM   #366
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

So I know there are 2 versions of the creature creator, the free one and the one that isn't free that has more parts. Do you still need to buy that if you buy the game? Or does it come with it?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:42 PM   #367
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Comes with it. The creature creator is, how you say? Oh, yes. Extinct.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #368
spleen1015
Coordinator

When I installed Spore, it uninstalled the Creature Creator.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:03 PM   #369
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Ok thanks guys!
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #370
MacroGuru
Coordinator

My name is macroguru for this.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #371
gstelmack
Pro Starter

So I hit tribal stage last night. Is it normal that when I click a creature and tell him to do something, he gets a question mark over his head and then sits there for a minute or more before going off to do whatever I told him to do?

I swear my creatures would go from full to starving by the time they got over to the animal to hunt it...
Old 09-17-2008, 09:16 AM   #372
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
So I hit tribal stage last night. Is it normal that when I click a creature and tell him to do something, he gets a question mark over his head and then sits there for a minute or more before going off to do whatever I told him to do?

I swear my creatures would go from full to starving by the time they got over to the animal to hunt it...

Are you herbivore or carnivore?
Old 09-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #373
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Are you herbivore or carnivore?

Carnivore into Predator, despite my best Omnivorous efforts...
Old 09-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #374
RendeR
Coordinator

Anyone else have a really hard time finding the probiscus (omnivorous mouth piece) in the tidal pool stage? I've only found it 2x out of 4 tries.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:36 AM   #375
RendeR
Coordinator

DOLA to add, having the probiscus when you move to the critter stage makes the whole food issue FAR easier, its also easier in tribal stage as it allows you to hunt or gather and collect mad amounts of food.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:12 AM   #376
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

After a couple weeks after it's release are you guys still liking Spore? I'm still on the fence about getting this one. I've been told if you like Sims - which I have played and liked - then I should like Spore. But I just don't want to get another game that has no real "lasting appeal"...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #377
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
After a couple weeks after it's release are you guys still liking Spore? I'm still on the fence about getting this one. I've been told if you like Sims - which I have played and liked - then I should like Spore. But I just don't want to get another game that has no real "lasting appeal"...

Actually, I would break it down like this:

if you have kids, buy it now. the fun you can have just making things is well worth it, and then you can bring your creations to life in the game.

if you are just going to play it for yourself, i would wait for the first patch. my favorite stage, space, finally revealed it's annoying side...constantly being called across the galaxy to save my colonies. it's really interrupting to the flow of the game. That means that each level has a pretty big annoyance, and would probably cause many adult gamers to just move on.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #378
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Buddies (please make a note if you have inappropriate content)

Bonegavel - unclematch
Sachmo71 - mrsachmo
RendeR - RendeR
Mustang - kerg01
Bearcat729 - bearcat
JeeberD - JeeberD
spleen1015 - mayser
CoffeeWarlord - coffeew
Thomkal - Thomkal
Yellow5 - Yellow5
Gstelmack - gstelmack
Galaril - galaril
Macroguru - Macroguru
Old 09-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #379
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
constantly being called across the galaxy to save my colonies. it's really interrupting to the flow of the game. That means that each level has a pretty big annoyance, and would probably cause many adult gamers to just move on.

I had made a note up above that there are mods that you can do to reduce this.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:03 PM   #380
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

Bonegavel - unclematch
Sachmo71 - mrsachmo
RendeR - RendeR
Mustang - kerg01
Bearcat729 - bearcat
JeeberD - JeeberD
spleen1015 - mayser
CoffeeWarlord - coffeew
Thomkal - Thomkal
Yellow5 - Yellow5
Gstelmack - gstelmack
Galaril - galaril
Macroguru - Macroguru

You won't see anything inappropriate from me. I like my creatures to be simple, not a lot of crap all over them. I prefer bipeds for some reason was well.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:58 PM   #381
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I had made a note up above that there are mods that you can do to reduce this.

I saw that, but don't want to abandon my current game. Maybe on the next go-round.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #382
darkenigma510
n00b

any good Spore mod sites out there?
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #383
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
if you are just going to play it for yourself, i would wait for the first patch. my favorite stage, space, finally revealed it's annoying side...constantly being called across the galaxy to save my colonies. it's really interrupting to the flow of the game. That means that each level has a pretty big annoyance, and would probably cause many adult gamers to just move on.

I've played through to the space staqge (and into it a bit) 4x now and I have yet to see anything annoying on any level? What have people been reporting?

I've been called to save a colony of an ALIEN race one time, never my own. Maybe I've just been really lucky thus far?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #384
gstelmack
Pro Starter

There were some hints above that actions earlier can affect this. Perhaps violent carnivores get attacked a lot by alien races, while peaceful herbivores do not?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #385
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Not sure. My race is middle of the road, so i can't be sure. Nor can I be sure that the notices are coming more frequently as the game goes on, but I can attest to the fact that there is a lot more to do, and less time to screw around. Then, suddenly, you are bombarded with messages from all over. Some races giving you tribute, some races demanding money, and those take time to deal with. And then every 480 seconds the game checks for aliens\pirates\enviornmental disasters occuring on one of your colonies. Or maybe it checks for EACH colony, so it seems to happen more frequently.

Either way, I can't really play the game the way I want. When I have to go to each colony to get spice, and then trade it to get cash... This is why I would suggest an adult gamer wait for a patch. Or buy the game, suffer through creature, and hack your .exe before you start!
Old 09-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #386
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I've played through to the space staqge (and into it a bit) 4x now and I have yet to see anything annoying on any level? What have people been reporting?

I've been called to save a colony of an ALIEN race one time, never my own. Maybe I've just been really lucky thus far?

I'm a full fledged carnie and I came across 1 race that eventually allowed me to ally with them but I also came across a race that attacks my colonies every other turn. Very annoying. They won't leave me alone and they always have like 8 or so ships that I have to kill. They are relentless.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #387
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
I'm a full fledged carnie and I came across 1 race that eventually allowed me to ally with them but I also came across a race that attacks my colonies every other turn. Very annoying. They won't leave me alone and they always have like 8 or so ships that I have to kill. They are relentless.

Do you have any allied ships with you? they sure make things easier.
A lock-on feature would be GREAT in this game.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #388
Critch
lolzcat

I bought the game the day it was released and I still havent managed to register it so that I can share and receive other user's stuff.

I've got a couple of support questions in there, both that are guaranteed to be answered within 24 hours and both have no response at all after 5 or 6 days. Oh well, at least the game isnt appealing to me so I don't feel I'm missing anything.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #389
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Bonegavel - unclematch
Sachmo71 - mrsachmo
RendeR - RendeR
Mustang - kerg01
Bearcat729 - bearcat
JeeberD - JeeberD
spleen1015 - mayser
CoffeeWarlord - coffeew
Thomkal - Thomkal
Yellow5 - Yellow5
Gstelmack - gstelmack
Galaril - galaril
Macroguru - Macroguru

Had problems finding several of these because it requires an exact match. So several of them need to be capitalized before you can find them, and one needs the capitalization taken off.

UncleMatch
Kerg01
Bearcat
CoffeeW
macroguru

I think those are the ones I couldn't find originally. As you can see from my page, I'm still hanging out in the creature part of the game. Haven't played much, and still getting used to the creature creator.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:31 PM   #390
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Had problems finding several of these because it requires an exact match. So several of them need to be capitalized before you can find them, and one needs the capitalization taken off.

UncleMatch
Kerg01
Bearcat
CoffeeW
macroguru

I think those are the ones I couldn't find originally. As you can see from my page, I'm still hanging out in the creature part of the game. Haven't played much, and still getting used to the creature creator.

I thought I hooked up my account, it is now correct and should be able to add me.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #391
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

UncleMatch
Kerg01
Bearcat
CoffeeW
macroguru

ah, good catch! I must have must have gotten lucky with my caps when I added.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #392
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Not sure if this has been posted but here is a pretty funny review of spore:

hxxp://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/218-Spore

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 09-18-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #393
RendeR
Coordinator

It was kinda funny. I think spore may well out-do the sims over time, Spore seems to have been laid out perfectly for expansion after expansion, added depth in each level, adding new levels, it will go on and on and on.

10 years from now the game may well be what we all had hoped it would be right from the beginning, but they want to be able to squeeze every penny from this cash cow so we'l ave to wait for it to happen over time.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:21 PM   #394
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

So I broke down and purchased Spore. I installed it but I don't see any shortcuts to start the game... I'm having a rough time lately with computer games so this doesn't shock me that I can't find a damn shortcut

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 09-18-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #395
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
So I broke down and purchased Spore. I installed it but I don't see any shortcuts to start the game... I'm having a rough time lately with computer games so this doesn't shock me that I can't find a damn shortcut

This happened when I installed it for my wife on her vista system too. You have to manually create the shortcut yourself. No problem on XP from what I saw.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:40 PM   #396
Bonegavel

Quote:
It was kinda funny. I think spore may well out-do the sims over time, Spore seems to have been laid out perfectly for expansion after expansion, added depth in each level, adding new levels, it will go on and on and on.

10 years from now the game may well be what we all had hoped it would be right from the beginning, but they want to be able to squeeze every penny from this cash cow so we'l ave to wait for it to happen over time.

I will happily pay for this. I don't mind paying folks to make games I want even if I have to take baby steps. Nobody else is even dipping their little toes in waters such as these.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #397
Thomkal
Head Coach

There is a patch out now for Spore. You can download it in game if you load the EA Download Manager first. I didn't download the Download Manager because you supposedly can download the patch without it. I would advise not downloading it quite yet though as some people are reporting problems with it. Like slow loading of certain graphics after not having a problem with them before the patch.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:46 PM   #398
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Anyone else have a really hard time finding the probiscus (omnivorous mouth piece) in the tidal pool stage? I've only found it 2x out of 4 tries.

I've never found it, have a creature in the tide pool now ready to evolve to land, but trying to find that piece so I can try an omnivore. I'm finding it hard just finding the comet pieces at all.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #399
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Urk...downloading patch now.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #400
Groundhog
Coordinator

I haven't played this since 3 days after I bought it.

And I noticed the price had been slashed by $20 since I bought it, too.