Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2005, 02:03 PM   #351
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
See, you can't do that. You already make baseless assumptions that are false about science/bible related things to begin with. And you don't even have to bring the Bible into it, just start with the common story of creationism and explain why you don't think that it can be literal. Contrast the two but don't gloss over the criticisms of evolution to suite your own agenda.

Catholic Church (and I love the Catholics, used to be one myself) taught the sun revolved around the earth not the Bible. And the Bible clearly states in Psalms that the earth is a 'SPHERE", so it was not supporting the flat-earth folks.

the slippery slope that you advocate beginning in Natural science classes as opposed to philosophy or religion classes is that you open the door for any theory started by any religion or faith, or not, be taught as equivalent to that which has been "proven". If ID were to be taught as more than justa theory in Philosophy class and instead be taught in Science class then ALL theories proven or unproven need to be taught as well and Im sure I can think of some crazy one's : Ie, Jewish people are naturally more evil than the rest of the human species. (obviously a crock of crap but I can find some books [some written right before the '40s] to back up my point) SO why not teach JE in science class...you could analyze the brain, use examples of Jewish serial killers throughout time, etc. You have to draw the line somewhere...I know where you want the line drawn (no evolution, creationism [you'd want that but societal pressures have led faith based people to move towards ID in the hopes it would make it in]).....

What about those that dont believe in anything....Nihilists. If you're not careful they'll attack you anywhere!! outside of bowling alleys, in the tub. They probably have some ideas that would sound wonderful (to them) in science class.

The problem i have is that you want your religion taught to everyeone in Public spaces. Its not right, its scary, and some of the theories are not supported by scientific evidence but a faith....Again, send your kids to private school. DO NOT profess that America should be ONE religion, it shouldnt....perhaps you'd like to go to another land (on a boat) because the King wants you to beliewve one thing and one thing only. Keep your religion on Sundays, usually there is no school on Sundays unless its taught by a religious leader.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 05-17-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:05 PM   #352
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
So Christianity, which is based upon a faith in Christ, His life, His teachings and His principles along with those of the prophets and apostles doesn't fit your ideals of what Christianity should really be about? If you don't agree with Christ and His teachings, make up your own religion. Seems to be what your advocating.

Christ was not devoted to any particular teachings. His teachings, principles, sacrifice, miracles were just byproducts of a Spirit-filled being. If one claims to have Christ in their heart, a spirit-filled being, then what comes out of them also has to be Christ, regardless of its ability to adhere to a particular doctrine. The teachings of the Bible are not boundaries of faith, rather they are examples, powerful and true, of their faith filled life.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:05 PM   #353
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
....Nihilists. If you're not careful they'll attack you anywhere!! outside of bowling alleys, in the tub.
That sounds exhausting.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:07 PM   #354
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, I should be. Things keep coming to mind, though. For instance, interesting that for all the closed-minded criticism I get, I am the only one who stated earlier that I am still learning. None of the experts have made that claim, some would probably even say they do already know it all.

I have stated many times that I am learning new things. As one who finds the principles of scientific inquiry to be above reproach (as distinguished from how science is always practiced I should note) I am always in a state of challenging my views and beliefs. It's a belief survival-of-the-fittest - those beliefs that hold up to scrutiny and challenge when confronted with new ideas remain; those that don't are either modified by the new evidence or completely removed in favor of new beliefs, based on the evidence at hand.

Quote:
You made a point earlier. New information contradicts Darwin's claim that genetic material must have been added previously (it wasn't) and you then slam me for seeing Darwin as still relevant to the discussion. But how do you reconcile Darwin's present irrelevance to the Scopes Trial? After all, it was his information that was presented in the Scopes Trial that opened the door for evolution to be taught in school in the first place. But you admit that information was erronious. So shouldn't we then have a new Scopes Trial with relevant new info?

I simply don't have the time to argue with you on this - you've already been shown to be wrong in your interpretation of the issue of "new" genetic material and yet you persist with this point of view, so I'm not going to waste the effort of debating with you on this point.

Does science know everything about how natural selection and mutation work within the parameters of the theory of evolution? No. There is still room for further growth of our knowledge and perhaps some major modifications to current accepted theory.

But whereas the theory of evolution is a scientific inquiry relying on observation and testing to determine evidence, creationism is speculative.

Quote:
I would just add that I do believe that God does want us to know the truth about evolution/creationism. But you have to present real information on both sides to get at it. For instance, in one case recently a public school system in Missouri (i think) just wanted to put a sticker stating Evolution is a Theory inside the cover of its science textbooks. Isn't it a theory? Federal court threw that action out with some convoluted reasoning that making that statement was somehow 'opening the door to religion in schools." Now how does that further discussion and knowledge about the subject?

If all scientific theories were labeled in a similar manner in school textbooks then at least there would be some consistency in application. Short of that, putting such a sticker in the textbooks is obviously a pointed attack on the theory of evolution. And what would the primary reasoning for such an attack be? Religious fundamentalists who want to promote creationism.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:08 PM   #355
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman
Christ was not devoted to any particular teachings. His teachings, principles, sacrifice, miracles were just byproducts of a Spirit-filled being. If one claims to have Christ in their heart, a spirit-filled being, then what comes out of them also has to be Christ, regardless of its ability to adhere to a particular doctrine. The teachings of the Bible are not boundaries of faith, rather they are examples, powerful and true, of their faith filled life.

So what is the difference, if any, between freedom and license? Is sin a real concept? Jesus talked more about hell than He did about heaven, any relevance in that? Is being 'spirit-filled' enough in itself without needing the Bible or any written record of Christ? You open up more questions than you anwer.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:10 PM   #356
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
So what is the difference, if any, between freedom and license? Is sin a real concept? Jesus talked more about hell than He did about heaven, any relevance in that? Is being 'spirit-filled' enough in itself without needing the Bible or any written record of Christ? You open up more questions than you anwer.

how did you only pick that out to retort....jeez, I swear you miss half of everything.

Mountains of evidence vs. little or slanted....I see the light at that point. Doesnt mean youre worng about ID...just means it doesnt belong in Science class.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-17-2005, 02:16 PM   #357
Flasch186
Coordinator

DOLA:

an excerpt from our new history book -

Napoleon Bonaparte
Perhaps the aspect of Bonaparte's blessed life that most captivated his contemporaries and historians follow was his humble beginnings after G-D created him in his mother's womb. Here, like some Biblical tragedy, is the story of the rise from the bottom of a strong-willed, image of God, brilliant man whose flaws, like Man's, eventually cause him to fall from power. The reality, of course, is much more complex than the romance associated with the story, like the romances in the Bible. Napoleon's rise to power was, indeed, impressive, and was predicated on both his military capabilities and his strength of will, but he needed to believe in Jesus Christ and that was one of his faults. Other forces were at work, however, as they were at work in his downfall as well. Let's not forget, that Napoleon's humble beginnings were, though real, largely a creation of the personal mythology he built around himself and this false idolization was why G-D eventually smote him.

He was created in Corsica—an Italian— in 1769; France had annexed Corsica in 1768, so he was officially a French citizen under G-D. Although his parents were not extremely wealthy, they were nobility. While Napoleon built up around himself a mythology of low origins, he was still higher up on the social scale than the overwhelming majority of Europeans.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-17-2005, 02:17 PM   #358
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
how did you only pick that out to retort....jeez, I swear you miss half of everything.

Mountains of evidence vs. little or slanted....I see the light at that point. Doesnt mean youre worng about ID...just means it doesnt belong in Science class.

Are you answering for your brother now? Or are you really the same person? Was not directed to you. Speaking about reading something.

Why not let him make his own argument?

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 05-17-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:20 PM   #359
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Is being 'spirit-filled' enough in itself without needing the Bible or any written record of Christ?

Is being filled with the Holy Spirit enough? Yes.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:23 PM   #360
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Are you answering for your brother now? Or are you really the same person? Was not directed to you. Speaking about reading something.

Why not let him make his own argument?
BW, you talked before about wanting to talk about substance and not semantics. I am offering you the opportunity to attack evolution and show why ID is better. Just let me know what problems you have with evolution, and we can discuss it.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:36 PM   #361
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Is being filled with the Holy Spirit enough? Yes.

When I was first born-again, I studied alot about Kenneth Hagin. His experience was of almost dying 3 times, his mother prayed him out of hell the first two. Hagin claims to have seen and spoken to Jesus on a pretty regular basis. The striking thing about this is that regardless of whatever this appearance would say to him, Hagin always compared it to the Word of God, tried it, spoke it in response. The Bible is our protection against deceit. Pretty interesting life-story if anybody is interested in it.

Satan can appear as an angel of light. Bible says Heaven and Earth will pass away before the Word of God does. John calls the Bible Jesus Christ in print. Logos. Spoken the Word of God is called Rhema.

You are not only wrong in your assumption, but teaching that to others will cause yourself great pain in the future. Bible warns specifically about teaching falsehoods to those in your care.

Worth looking up: 2 Ti. 4.3 For the time will come when they shall not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

I felt led to give you that one.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:40 PM   #362
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
BW, you talked before about wanting to talk about substance and not semantics. I am offering you the opportunity to attack evolution and show why ID is better. Just let me know what problems you have with evolution, and we can discuss it.

This was a response not even about the evolution/creationism thing. How two different people jumped in and attached this to that is beyond me.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:43 PM   #363
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
When I was first born-again, I studied alot about Kenneth Hagin. His experience was of almost dying 3 times, his mother prayed him out of hell the first two. Hagin claims to have seen and spoken to Jesus on a pretty regular basis. The striking thing about this is that regardless of whatever this appearance would say to him, Hagin always compared it to the Word of God, tried it, spoke it in response. The Bible is our protection against deceit. Pretty interesting life-story if anybody is interested in it.

Satan can appear as an angel of light. Bible says Heaven and Earth will pass away before the Word of God does. John calls the Bible Jesus Christ in print. Logos. Spoken the Word of God is called Rhema.

You are not only wrong in your assumption, but teaching that to others will cause yourself great pain in the future. Bible warns specifically about teaching falsehoods to those in your care.

Worth looking up: 2 Ti. 4.3 For the time will come when they shall not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

I was "led" to give you that one.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:46 PM   #364
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar

I was "led" to give you that one.

Not very witty. Pretty lazy, actually.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 05-17-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:53 PM   #365
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:

No sir

what is lazy is to continually try to promote the bible and its teachings, have it become the fabric of our country, by using the bible as the argument. That si lazy, intolerant, aggressive, and the reason why people are scared of the Religious part of the right.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-17-2005, 02:55 PM   #366
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
No sir

what is lazy is to continually try to promote the bible and its teachings, have it become the fabric of our country, by using the bible as the argument. That si lazy, intolerant, aggressive, and the reason why people are scared of the Religious part of the right.

You sure your responding to the right post this time?
Old 05-17-2005, 02:55 PM   #367
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:

Bubba,

Help me out here. I looked Kenneth Hagin "founder of the World-Faith movement" up, and it seems that he has a few detractors from within the born-again movement. Are these valid criticisms of Haigin's ideas? Is there debate within the movement? The entries below look pretty biased, but it seems to indicate that Hagin's brand of theology is considered cult-like within the overall born-again Christian movement.

Here are the links I looked at:
hxxp://www.apologeticsindex.org/w00.html#wordf
hxxp://www.biblebb.com/files/WRDFAITH.HTM

Quote:
Word-Faith Movement
Also known as "Name-in-Claim-it," "Health and Wealth Gospel," "Positive Confession," "Word of Faith," etc.

Word-Faith teachers owe their ancestry to groups like Christian Science, Swedenborgianism, Theosophy, Science of Mind, and New Thought--not to classical Pentecostalism. It reveals that at their very core, Word-Faith teachings are corrupt. Their undeniable derivation is cultish, not Christian. The sad truth is that the gospel proclaimed by the Word-Faith movement is not the gospel of the New Testament. Word-Faith doctrine is a mongrel system, a blend of mysticism, dualism, and gnosticism that borrows generously from the teachings of the metaphysical cults. The Word-Faith movement may be the most dangerous false system that has grown out of the charismatic movement so far, because so many charismatics are unsure of the finality of Scripture
John MacArthur, Charismatic Chaos, p. 290

There are many perculiar ideas and practices in the Faith theology, but what merits it the label of heresy are the following: 1) its deistic view of God, who must dance to men's attempts to manipulate the spiritual laws of the universe; 2) its demonic view of Christ, who was filled with "the Satanic nature" and must be "born again in hell; 3) its gnostic view of revelation, which demands denial of the physical senses and classifies Christians by their willingness to do so; and 4) its metaphysical view of salvation, which deifies man and spiritualizes the atonement, locating it in hell rather than on the cross, thereby subverting the crucial biblical belief that it is Christ's physical death and shed blood, which alone atone for sin. All four of these heresies may be accounted for by Kenyon's syncretism of methaphysical thought with traditional biblical doctrine"
D.R. McConnell, A Different Gospel

Last edited by Klinglerware : 05-17-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:04 PM   #368
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
Bubba,

Help me out here. I looked Kenneth Hagin "founder of the World-Faith movement" up, and it seems that he has a few detractors from within the born-again movement. Are these valid criticisms of Haigin's ideas? Is there debate within the movement? The entries below look pretty biased, but it seems to indicate that Hagin's brand of theology is considered cult-like within the overall born-again Christian movement.

Interesting stuff. Maybe some element of truth in it. Everybody, though, has a different 'ministry' in the body of Christ. Hagin believes he has been called as a prophet (according to the new testement offices teacher, apostle, evangilist, prophet, pastor.) Kenneth Copeland, among many, is associated with Hagin in not directly linked.

Point to what I posted though, was exactly what this same detractor of Hagin's would himself say. Judge everything according to the Word of God first, regardless of how good it looks or sounds. For instance, the Word of God is the very thing that they are basing their own criticisms of Hagin on in the first place. It is your own relationship with Christ that is supposed to be paramount to this. If you feel right about something after praying about it and it lines up with the Word, then you can feel comfortable about following it.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:15 PM   #369
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Interesting stuff. Maybe some element of truth in it. Everybody, though, has a different 'ministry' in the body of Christ. Hagin believes he has been called as a prophet (according to the new testement offices teacher, apostle, evangilist, prophet, pastor.) Kenneth Copeland, among many, is associated with Hagin in not directly linked.

Point to what I posted though, was exactly what this same detractor of Hagin's would himself say. Judge everything according to the Word of God first, regardless of how good it looks or sounds. For instance, the Word of God is the very thing that they are basing their own criticisms of Hagin on in the first place. It is your own relationship with Christ that is supposed to be paramount to this. If you feel right about something after praying about it and it lines up with the Word, then you can feel comfortable about following it.

Fair enough, thanks for the reply. It does humanize the born-again movement for me in that I didn't previously know that there was as much theological debate within movement...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:27 PM   #370
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

So if God told me to do that, then God is lazy?
Old 05-17-2005, 03:44 PM   #371
sabotai
General Manager

On the issue of mutations, it looks like some people should read this: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/mutations.html

That is, if they want to learn about them....
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:35 PM   #372
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Gotta say I'm pleased as punch to hear that you do not agree how I will be teaching children in the public schools for the next 30 years.

I can't believe you actually threaten (warned) me with hell. If you believe in Christ in order to get to heaven or stay out hell then more power to you, hope you get to which ever one you desire. Just know that the "New Day" Christ that sacrificed for is here and present, and it exist through the Spirit in grace and joy.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:00 PM   #373
Buccaneer
Head Coach

bro, instead of using Bubba Wheels as your example, I would go look at SkyDog's thread on what he's doing with youngsters of today through YoungLife. Shouldn't the time and effort be spent on encouraging someone like him in his ministry instead of ridiculing others?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #374
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
bro, instead of using Bubba Wheels as your example, I would go look at SkyDog's thread on what he's doing with youngsters of today through YoungLife. Shouldn't the time and effort be spent on encouraging someone like him in his ministry instead of ridiculing others?

There's time for both.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:30 PM   #375
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Isnt Bubba Mrs. Kippy?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:34 PM   #376
Flasch186
Coordinator

Mrs. Lippy

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-27-2005, 02:48 AM   #377
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Quote:
I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see that Mr. Soros actually has quite a fan-club amongst the anti-faith-based crowd.
Still waiting for a response.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:48 PM   #378
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Isnt Bubba Mrs. Kippy?

No, and I always thought it was Mr. Skippy. Maybe you just need yourself a good woman! (Or you have a mamma's complex ) Maybe that name is like the old woman/young woman picture. You see what you want to in it. Domineering mother? Mrs. Kippy! See Kangeroos? Mr. Skippy! Take your pick!

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 05-27-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:53 PM   #379
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Gotta say I'm pleased as punch to hear that you do not agree how I will be teaching children in the public schools for the next 30 years.

I can't believe you actually threaten (warned) me with hell. If you believe in Christ in order to get to heaven or stay out hell then more power to you, hope you get to which ever one you desire. Just know that the "New Day" Christ that sacrificed for is here and present, and it exist through the Spirit in grace and joy.

All I ever do is point out Christian doctrine, and then I get shelled for it. Hell is a real place. Jesus talked more about it than He did about heaven. Revelation also states very plainly that those who would add or subtract from any of God's Word bring a curse upon themselves. This could happen before death, hence my speaking about you bringing 'pain' upon yourself you assumed to mean hell...do you make alot of 'assumptions' when you teach?
Old 05-27-2005, 07:55 PM   #380
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
Still waiting for a response.

Hold your breath. I'll get back to you.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:49 PM   #381
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

7 pages later, he still can't support his initial assertion. What a surprise!
Old 05-27-2005, 10:55 PM   #382
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:

If you dont intend to get back to him have you just committed a sin...wishing him to "die" waiting?

Dont add/subtract from gods word...i dont think he talked about sarcasm.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-28-2005, 01:19 AM   #383
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Hell is a real place. Jesus talked more about it than He did about heaven.

Would you care to provide some documentation on this point? There is no question in my oppinion that their is a Hell and I don't think that anyone would find it to be a nice place, but I don't see where Jesue spoke more on Hell than heaven.

Last edited by stkelly52 : 05-28-2005 at 01:29 AM.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 06:38 AM   #384
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkelly52
Would you care to provide some documentation on this point? There is no question in my oppinion that their is a Hell and I don't think that anyone would find it to be a nice place, but I don't see where Jesue spoke more on Hell than heaven.

Of course it is. Go to Newark, NJ near 18th and you'll find this place.

Step inside.

Old 05-28-2005, 05:08 PM   #385
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkelly52

Should be easy to prove or disprove, just go through the New Testement and count the number of times Jesus spoke of 1. Heaven and 2. Hell. Pretty simple.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:09 PM   #386
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Should be easy to prove or disprove, just go through the New Testement and count the number of times Jesus spoke of 1. Heaven and 2. Hell. Pretty simple.
Why is it always up to someone else to prove YOUR claims?
Old 05-28-2005, 07:22 PM   #387
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

When it comes to the Bible, he doesn't know it well enough to prove his own claims.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:49 PM   #388
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:

So what your saying is, its too hard to fact-check what I've stated? I made the claim and cited the evidence, your the one claiming the opposite without doing the work.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:53 PM   #389
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
When it comes to the Bible, he doesn't know it well enough to prove his own claims.

Feel free to correct me on any point if you have something to cite for the contradiction...but the fact is that nobody on this board makes more drive-by accusations without sources or evidence than you do.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:20 PM   #390
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Jesus talked more about it than He did about heaven. Revelation also states very plainly that those who would add or subtract from any of God's Word bring a curse upon themselves.

With apologies to brother Buc...
If I were to "count" the heaven and hell references by Jesus that you mentioned I, or more importantly you, would include Matthew 5:22,29,30.
However it is as likely (according to radicals like the NIV) that the hell mentioned here, from its Greek roots, is a ravine in Jerusalem where human sacrifices were offered as mentioned in Jeremiah 7:31-32.
Therefore, would your addition to the meaning of this word "bring a curse" upon you?
Old 05-28-2005, 09:25 PM   #391
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
So what your saying is, its too hard to fact-check what I've stated? I made the claim and cited the evidence, your the one claiming the opposite without doing the work.

No, all you did was make a claim. You presented no evidence and did no work. If Jesus talked more about Hell than Heaven, then show it. Don't say "Well, just go read the bible." That's not presenting evidence or work.

Quote:

If it's so easy, then DO IT. And then tell us the exact number of times he mentions both. It is not up to anyone to do your work for you since you are the making the claim.

In fact, if you are making such a claim, you should already have the number of times he mentions both on hand (or else you'd be making the claim before actually doing the work. And that would just be stupid.). So just post them.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:26 PM   #392
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
With apologies to brother Buc...
If I were to "count" the heaven and hell references by Jesus that you mentioned I, or more importantly you, would include Matthew 5:22,29,30.
However it is as likely (according to radicals like the NIV) that the hell mentioned here, from its Greek roots, is a ravine in Jerusalem where human sacrifices were offered as mentioned in Jeremiah 7:31-32.
Therefore, would your addition to the meaning of this word "bring a curse" upon you?

Well, if you want to really get technical, the original word for 'heaven' is (as I understand it) actually 3 different words that consider 1. atmosphere where we live 2. Where the stars/planets ect..., exist above that and 3. The dwelling place of God. But to answer your question I would just count them all up (which I admit I have never done, I am going by other sources(S) that state this) so here's a great chance for you to prove me wrong.

Hell, BTW, is actually two different places (and two different original words) the first being the "holding cell' that souls go to before judgement, the second being the Lake of Fire.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 05-28-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:32 PM   #393
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
if you want to really get technical

LOL.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:35 PM   #394
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
LOL.
Are you one of your 'brother's' students?
Old 05-28-2005, 09:36 PM   #395
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Are you one of your 'brother's' students?

That's really, really funny but you wouldn't know why.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:40 PM   #396
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
That's really, really funny but you wouldn't know why.

Your secret is safe with you.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:05 PM   #397
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

BTW, my main point earlier was about hell being real...here is one source for answering questions I ran across for those interested http://www.gotquestions.org/eternity_archive.html

In particular http://www.gotquestions.org/hell-eternal.html This may be where the 'legalists' got me on one point. The Bible does say more about hell than heaven, and I may have gotten that one admittedly wrong when I stated that Jesus mentioned it more than heaven. So sue me.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 05-28-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:35 PM   #398
Flasch186
Coordinator

So purgitory is the same as "hell"?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-29-2005, 12:15 AM   #399
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
So sue me.

Oh please. You made a claim before actually doing any research to see if it was actually right. You got called out on. Now you're going to try to play the part of the victim? Absolutely pathetic.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:01 AM   #400
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Feel free to correct me on any point if you have something to cite for the contradiction...but the fact is that nobody on this board makes more drive-by accusations without sources or evidence than you do.

Prove it.