Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2004, 07:41 PM   #351
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfg22
Maybe fallacy to you but you have seen what I have typed and when the time comes you will see.

Saying I see it as a "fallacy" says that I'm saying it's not true...when I don't know if it's true or not. I can't believe in it because I don't have any information that would lead me to make a decision, one way or another.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 07:50 PM   #352
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by druez
Wig, while I do agree with you for the most part. You could phrase it in a different way. I mean Bubba Wheels is a bit over the top. But Revrew, is a good example of a person who has faith but isn't condemning others IMO. But, I'm pretty much with you that Religion is pretty wacked in general.

Ha! Where have I 'condemed' anyone? I think that stating the direct position on anything using the Bible as the source is just going to make alot of people mad. If someone else is able to appeal more to your 'sensibilities' than I do, great! But your statement kind of speaks for itself, in that while someone like the others are easier for you to listen to you will still reject the message. And again, my point is not to attempt 'conversion' of anyone, just stating 'the facts, maam,' as the Bible lays them out. There is your real problem.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 07:53 PM   #353
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
I've enjoyed my conversation with you. I think everyone has a right to believe what they wish, its a personal relationship. My beef isn't with god or christians or muslims etc.... its with those who condemn me for having a different belief. I never got that feeling from you or Ng. Now bubba.... Anyway, good stuff and keep the faith!

Again, where have I condemed you? But if I quote the Bible and you feel condemed, well maybe you SHOULD consider the source!
Old 03-25-2004, 08:11 PM   #354
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman
revrew, i'm writing a paper right now on tertullian's quote, "because it is absurd i believe" it's heavy stuff cuz it's getting into metaphysics, but still a blast (if your like me and like this stuff). what i like about the quote is that it shows the brilliance in simplicity and paradox; two things that this thread has struggled with.
most recent quote i came across from tert. was : heresies sprout from a grain of truth

Freaky coincidence. Of course, one of my favorite stories is of a man with severely disabling ALS who went on the Oprah show. He couldn't speak any more, but his wife "just happened" to be a speech therapist. She worked daily with people with severe speech impediments, and she was therefore able to understand her husband as his voice turned to garbled mush. On the show, the wife translated her husband's garblings to the audience.

"What an amazing coincidence," Oprah said, "that you're in such a position to understand your husband.

The husband mumbled something. "He says," said the wife, "'A coincidence is nothing but a small miracle in which God opts to remain anonymous.'"

I love it. Anyways, metaphysics coincidences and "so absurd I believe" coincidences have been fun to watch in this thread. But this thread sort of reminds me of another Tertullian quote: "What has Athens to do with Jerusalem?"
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 03:24 AM   #355
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
If I'm reading this correctly, God is making his point by having millions killed?
The theory is that God doesn't cause any wars to happen or sin to be done, howeveer by giving humans free will they are able to commit both awful atrocities but amazing acts of compassion and kindness ....

God could prevent all wars, but by doing so that would remove humans free-will ....

Time for a bad analogy:

I write evolutionary AI for my games, this learns and adapts as the game operates (which is why people moan that their tactics get 'cracked' in CM) - sometimes the AI does things I'd wrongly and has to make mistakes before learning to succeed - however this doesn't mean that I should purely restrict it to doing the 'right' thing at all times, this would make the engine inflexible and less able in the long run.

I believe humanity is similar to this, we do great harm and can cause devastating damage both to ourselves and the planet we live on, however I believe we (as a species) are slowly learning and heading in the right direction ..
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 08:29 AM   #356
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Facts? Please show me one fact that proves that God exists. I personally don't know if he does or doesn't...but please let's get one thing clear: NO ONE KNOWS FOR CERTAIN.

I'm just curious as to how you would define 'fact.' What are you looking for in terms of a 'fact'?

I'm also unsure how one can substantiate that no one knows for certain. How do we know that no one knows for certain? How could we defend that claim? It seems that to make that kind of general statement, we would have to speak to every single person who has ever lived and lives. How do we know that God hasn't spoken to someone directly, either in history or in our lifetime? I don't think it's as clear as getting this one thing clear.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 09:06 AM   #357
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Facts? Please show me one fact that proves that God exists. I personally don't know if he does or doesn't...but please let's get one thing clear: NO ONE KNOWS FOR CERTAIN.

Have you even seen Anna Kournikova? If that's not proof of God, it's at least proof of the devil. Temptation is the darndest thing...
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 11:13 AM   #358
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab
I'm just curious as to how you would define 'fact.' What are you looking for in terms of a 'fact'?

I'm also unsure how one can substantiate that no one knows for certain. How do we know that no one knows for certain? How could we defend that claim? It seems that to make that kind of general statement, we would have to speak to every single person who has ever lived and lives. How do we know that God hasn't spoken to someone directly, either in history or in our lifetime? I don't think it's as clear as getting this one thing clear.

Here is my thing and I know im going to be called crazy for saying this but here it goes. Since my dedication to Christ I have many a time talked with God. Now no a voice did not come and speak directly but I have talked with Him and yes He responds. Also I can feel the presence of God in me when I am deeply in worship or in prayer with Him. There are many more things in my life that confirm my beliefs but those are a few.
nfg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 11:26 AM   #359
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Here is my thing and I know im going to be called crazy for saying this but here it goes. Since my dedication to Christ I have many a time talked with God. Now no a voice did not come and speak directly but I have talked with Him and yes He responds. Also I can feel the presence of God in me when I am deeply in worship or in prayer with Him. There are many more things in my life that confirm my beliefs but those are a few.

Well said. The only other "fact" I would mention is my daughter. For me, I'm absolutely sure of God everytime I look at her.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:26 AM   #360
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
I believe humanity is similar to this, we do great harm and can cause devastating damage both to ourselves and the planet we live on, however I believe we (as a species) are slowly learning and heading in the right direction ..

I agree Marc 100%. I'm just don't think its the god in the bible that is pulling the strings. I point back to a constant that started it all, but doesn't really care how it turns out one way or another. It doesn't have human characteristics, so how can we expect it to think and act like a human. That is humans writing about what they don't understand.

I to believe that the human species is making slow progress, but In the grand scheme of things we really aren't that old of a species.

Think about this 20 lifetimes could be strung back to back since the day Jesus was born.

i.e. person born 0AD and lived to 100AD person born in 100AD lived to 200AD you get the point.

That isn't that long.....

Anyway, I'm still pretty convinced that souls are recycled and at times when you meet people who are wise when they are young, you refer to them as an old soul for a reason.

Remember energy can't be created or destroyed correct?

Back to the circle of life .........
druez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:32 PM   #361
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Maybe fallacy to you but you have seen what I have typed and when the time comes you will see.

nfg22, just stating something doesn't make it so. Humans have a limited capacity for understanding (i.e., we know through our senses) and just because some people get warm fuzzies when thinking about god, doesn't make it real. I get warm fuzzies thinking that Microsoft may actually produce a secure operating system, but I know that ain't never going to happen. Though somebody might, and that is ok.

If god created us, then he knows that we have a limited capacity. We are all Doubting Thomas' and need to touch things and see them to believe. One trip to a McDonalds drive-thru and you understand that you can't take it on faith that what you believe is in the bag is actually there. You have to stop at the window and check your order.

I believe in gravity and not because of some vague ramblings on paper by Sir Isaac Newton, but because I have seen its effects first hand.

I don't understand why God doesn't show himself to us and make himself known in a real way. If he is worried that this will taint us and get rid of free-will, all he has to do is see that Adam and Eve knew god existed and they still didn't listen. Hell, lucifer was his right hand man and he rebelled. I don't think he has a leg to stand on for an excuse not to make himself known to us in a real way. He will still get his batch of non-believers that he must have in order to feel like he has given free-will to people and he always has satan to push around.

I challenge god... show yourself and stop this invisible shit. You're messing with my soul here. [looks overhead for cumulonimbus clouds]
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:45 PM   #362
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
I challenge god... show yourself and stop this invisible shit. You're messing with my soul here. [looks overhead for cumulonimbus clouds]

Excellent! Go for it, man! Try restating that challenge for 30 days and keeping your eyes open. I would be curious to see the results. Want to do a dynasty?

Okay, now that sounds like I'm joking. But (dynasty aside), I'm not. Have you ever? Actually woke up each morning for a month solid asking the same questions of the heavens? "God, if you're there, show me!" I would really be interesting in hearing what you saw/learned after the 30 days.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:54 PM   #363
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew
Excellent! Go for it, man! Try restating that challenge for 30 days and keeping your eyes open. I would be curious to see the results. Want to do a dynasty?

Okay, now that sounds like I'm joking. But (dynasty aside), I'm not. Have you ever? Actually woke up each morning for a month solid asking the same questions of the heavens? "God, if you're there, show me!" I would really be interesting in hearing what you saw/learned after the 30 days.
Been there many times. As many jokes that i interlace in my comments, I really take this seriously, again because this possibly has to do with eternity.

What I am convinced of, however, is that many people that call on god like this may fall into the horrorscope trap and read into events what they want to see. There could have been 20 things that happened that another person would have seen as "god's reply" and I don't.

What I am talking about rev is I want god to ring my doorbell, show me a few tricks (like how to fold my underwear via mindpowers), maybe act like the ghosts of A Christmas Carol and take me on a little trip and tell me the straight facts.

If he would just do that, then I would say that I was given the choice and if I failed to believe, my bad. I'm sure if he did that, some people would still reject him, but that is fine. They were given a fair shake.

[edit - add this]
The reply i get most from believers when I talk like this is: "that isn't the way it works, you must simply have faith." or "you are seeing it from man's perspective and not god's." As for the last comment, you're damned right I'm seeing it from man's perspective, i don't really have a choice (especially since I'm constantly reminded how I could never understand god's *mind*).

Last edited by Bonegavel : 03-26-2004 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:50 PM   #364
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew

Been there tried that. I called it out, called it names. Called it a liar. Ripped it, dissed it even tried to kiss it. Same shit different day.....
Old 03-26-2004, 06:23 PM   #365
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I believe in gravity and not because of some vague ramblings on paper by Sir Isaac Newton, but because I have seen its effects first hand.

(For the sake of a counter arguement)

But it could be argued that you see creations of God (ie. everything) every day but deny his existance regardless.

You don't know that 'gravity' as a law is accurate or correct, just if you throw something in the air it will fall down ... you have 'faith' that this is due to the lawy of gravity ...

Some people understand the laws of physics (and hence why in theory gravity works) - some however simply accept that it sounds plausible with the information they have to hand and leave it at that.

Peoples believe in God is very similar, some are natural cynics (I am) and question everything several times before deciding which way to jump, where as for some blind faith and the knowledge that many people believe it is enough.

In both situations there is an aspect of 'faith' as the true truth cannot be discerned at present (bear in mind the law of gravity is still a 'theory' - one which could be disproved (unlikely, but possible - the world was flat once )).

Each individual must decide where to put their faith and live with the consequences of that decision, personally I'm hoping someone will disprove the law of gravity so I can learn to fly
Old 03-27-2004, 02:22 PM   #366
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
nfg22, just stating something doesn't make it so. Humans have a limited capacity for understanding (i.e., we know through our senses) and just because some people get warm fuzzies when thinking about god, doesn't make it real. I get warm fuzzies thinking that Microsoft may actually produce a secure operating system, but I know that ain't never going to happen. Though somebody might, and that is ok.

If god created us, then he knows that we have a limited capacity. We are all Doubting Thomas' and need to touch things and see them to believe. One trip to a McDonalds drive-thru and you understand that you can't take it on faith that what you believe is in the bag is actually there. You have to stop at the window and check your order.

I don't understand why God doesn't show himself to us and make himself known in a real way. If he is worried that this will taint us and get rid of free-will, all he has to do is see that Adam and Eve knew god existed and they still didn't listen. Hell, lucifer was his right hand man and he rebelled. I don't think he has a leg to stand on for an excuse not to make himself known to us in a real way. He will still get his batch of non-believers that he must have in order to feel like he has given free-will to people and he always has satan to push around.

How much faith would it take to believe in somthing you see? If God came and talked to you today and showed you 1000 miracles and you beleived is it because of faith or fact? My fuzzys that I get arent like that I can feel somthing in me. No I dont think your below me for not beleiving because I once thought the same thing, then again you could say I make this up so you would believe me, but why would I beleive in somthing I make up? Search and you will find, God will not show himself unless you are serious and seek Him with your lifes intent but then you will be rewarded.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:25 PM   #367
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Been there many times. As many jokes that i interlace in my comments, I really take this seriously, again because this possibly has to do with eternity.

What I am convinced of, however, is that many people that call on god like this may fall into the horrorscope trap and read into events what they want to see. There could have been 20 things that happened that another person would have seen as "god's reply" and I don't.

What I am talking about rev is I want god to ring my doorbell, show me a few tricks (like how to fold my underwear via mindpowers), maybe act like the ghosts of A Christmas Carol and take me on a little trip and tell me the straight facts.

If he would just do that, then I would say that I was given the choice and if I failed to believe, my bad. I'm sure if he did that, some people would still reject him, but that is fine. They were given a fair shake.

[edit - add this]
The reply i get most from believers when I talk like this is: "that isn't the way it works, you must simply have faith." or "you are seeing it from man's perspective and not god's." As for the last comment, you're damned right I'm seeing it from man's perspective, i don't really have a choice (especially since I'm constantly reminded how I could never understand god's *mind*).

This reply sparked somthing in my mind. Now I say that I know for sure and I just thought that maybe the miracle is supposed to be the complete transformation in someone that has accepted Christ. I have changed my whole life but I still dont have the overpowering love that I should for people maybe Im whats wrong in this miracle?
Old 03-27-2004, 08:54 PM   #368
Bonegavel

Quote:
How much faith would it take to believe in somthing you see? If God came and talked to you today and showed you 1000 miracles and you beleived is it because of faith or fact? My fuzzys that I get arent like that I can feel somthing in me. No I dont think your below me for not beleiving because I once thought the same thing, then again you could say I make this up so you would believe me, but why would I beleive in somthing I make up? Search and you will find, God will not show himself unless you are serious and seek Him with your lifes intent but then you will be rewarded.

An invisible *man* has left it up to me to learn of my eternal salvation via a book that was written by fellow humans and is so open to interpretation that few people that read it and believe it come to the same conclusions?

It would seem to me that if eternal life in heaven is paramount (this life is fleeting and eternity is, well, eternal), God would make it a little more concrete for those of us who don't get it on faith alone. We aren't all wired the same and God should know this. Everyone's needs are a little different. I need to poke my fingers in Christ's wounds, if you catch my drift.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:03 PM   #369
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That's why we have His words, so you can see His purpose and works. Ask Him to show Himself to you and He will do so in ways that you wouldn't expect, if your eyes, ears and heart are open!
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 10:40 PM   #370
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
An invisible *man* has left it up to me to learn of my eternal salvation via a book that was written by fellow humans and is so open to interpretation that few people that read it and believe it come to the same conclusions?

It would seem to me that if eternal life in heaven is paramount (this life is fleeting and eternity is, well, eternal), God would make it a little more concrete for those of us who don't get it on faith alone. We aren't all wired the same and God should know this. Everyone's needs are a little different. I need to poke my fingers in Christ's wounds, if you catch my drift.

Well I beleive that the only thing that is immenent to be interpreted is Christ dying for all of us and saving us if we choose to believe in Him, the rest is trivial to this. It is very clear of this message. Would and all loving God condemn you if He didnt give you enough evidence? I would believe that He will give you what you need if you look.(not saying you arent)
Old 03-27-2004, 10:47 PM   #371
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

by the way, what happened to the souls of all those people who lived in North and South America prior to the 1500s? Are they all in hell because they were not "saved" by christ?
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 11:11 PM   #372
Buccaneer
Head Coach

yab, the Scriptures said that God would reveal himself to everyone in many different ways. Psalms specifically spoke of through nature. However, those who have heard the Word and the gospel of Jesus Christ will be held accountable for it. Those (relatively) few that had not heard the Word would have the it presented to them in other ways. I said relatively few because most of the people that ever lived on this earth have been around since mid-20th century (or something like that).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 11:39 PM   #373
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Those (relatively) few that had not heard the Word would have the it presented to them in other ways.

Can you give me a cite for this?

While it is relative, we are talking about hundreds of millions of poeple, including the Mayan, Toltec, and Aztec civilizations, every one of whom died without ever hearing of christ much less being "saved" by him. I'm genuinely interested in the answer to this question.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:46 PM   #374
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
Can you give me a cite for this?

While it is relative, we are talking about hundreds of millions of poeple, including the Mayan, Toltec, and Aztec civilizations, every one of whom died without ever hearing of christ much less being "saved" by him. I'm genuinely interested in the answer to this question.

This has always been a question of mine. What about the buddhist who leads a great life but believes in his God over what the x-tians thing is their God...simply because that's all he knows.

Ridiculous.

Last edited by rexallllsc : 03-28-2004 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:55 PM   #375
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
This has always been a question of mine. What about the buddhist who leads a great life but believes in his God over what the x-tians thing is their God...simply because that's all he knows.

Ridiculous.

I would submit that it may be possible for someone who has never heard of Jesus Christ to still be saved by Jesus Christ (salvation being a 'heart issue', or 'condition') but no one who is ever saved will have been saved by anyone OTHER than Jesus Christ. (Jesus also said that there would be different degrees of punishment, and talked about how Capernum would suffer more in the day of judgement than Sodom and Gommorah would because had the latter seen the Miracles of Christ they would have repented.)
Old 03-28-2004, 01:09 PM   #376
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
I would submit that it may be possible for someone who has never heard of Jesus Christ to still be saved by Jesus Christ (salvation being a 'heart issue', or 'condition') but no one who is ever saved will have been saved by anyone OTHER than Jesus Christ. (Jesus also said that there would be different degrees of punishment, and talked about how Capernum would suffer more in the day of judgement than Sodom and Gommorah would because had the latter seen the Miracles of Christ they would have repented.)

According to who? You and the Bible? Forgive me if I doubt the authenticity of Jesus as the son of God.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:27 PM   #377
Bonegavel

So it seems reasonable then, that we shouldn't be spreading the word of God to other countries. Using the above Budhist, what if he was doing the right thing without knowing god and then a missionary talked to him about Jesus. He stays Budhist and is now going to hell. If the missionary had shut their mouth, he may have been saved by god's *alternate methods* that I hear so much about.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:34 PM   #378
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Is Gandhi suffering the torment of eternal damnation in the flaming pits of hell?
Old 03-28-2004, 05:43 PM   #379
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Its real simple: If and when you hear the Word of God, you become responsible for it. Period. What was being 'speculated' about is those that do not hear the Word of God IN THE CONVENTIONAL sense. That may or may not be a different thing, but that is for God to know and worry about. If you really want to get into it, read Romans. Paul goes to great lengths to lay out the different aspects to God's Law and Grace (2 seperate but related things.)
Old 03-28-2004, 05:49 PM   #380
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Is Gandhi suffering the torment of eternal damnation in the flaming pits of hell?

Interesting you mention Gandhi. I heard a story about him once (no way for me to determine its origin or verocity.) Seems Gandhi attended a Christian church at one point before his political rise. The story goes Gandhi was not well treated by some of the church members (church membership does NOT get you into heaven, by the way) and so he turned his back on Christianity in general. Christians and church members (not always the same thing) will answer to God someday for what they did on earth and especially in His Name, but regardless nothing they can ever do would EVER change a thing in God's Word as regarding who Christ is or what we are expected to become in Him ("Yes, let every man be a liar but God's Word is true.")
Old 03-28-2004, 05:56 PM   #381
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Its real simple: If and when you hear the Word of God, you become responsible for it. Period. What was being 'speculated' about is those that do not hear the Word of God IN THE CONVENTIONAL sense. That may or may not be a different thing, but that is for God to know and worry about. If you really want to get into it, read Romans. Paul goes to great lengths to lay out the different aspects to God's Law and Grace (2 seperate but related things.)

In that case, I don't have to worry, because I've never heard it. You would think that something so all-powerful wouldn't use smoke, mirrors, and guesswork to make his presence known.

Problem solved!

Last edited by rexallllsc : 03-28-2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:06 PM   #382
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Interesting you mention Gandhi. I heard a story about him once (no way for me to determine its origin or verocity.) Seems Gandhi attended a Christian church at one point before his political rise. The story goes Gandhi was not well treated by some of the church members (church membership does NOT get you into heaven, by the way) and so he turned his back on Christianity in general. Christians and church members (not always the same thing) will answer to God someday for what they did on earth and especially in His Name, but regardless nothing they can ever do would EVER change a thing in God's Word as regarding who Christ is or what we are expected to become in Him ("Yes, let every man be a liar but God's Word is true.")

You've got the story wrong, Bubba.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:07 PM   #383
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
You've got the story wrong, Bubba.

Really? Then enlighten me with the real one.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:22 PM   #384
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

We're in the Matrix.... this is not real folks...

Last edited by Noop : 03-30-2004 at 10:49 AM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:54 AM   #385
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:

(This came after my challenge to take up 30 days of prayerful sky-searching for God) - As for me, I'm on day 4,283 right now (granted, I didn't count up the leapyear days, so + or - 5 days). Every day for 4,283 days, I have woken up and asked "God, enough of this invisible shit (okay, those aren't my exact words, but those are the words bonegavel used, and they reflect accurately my thoughts)...show yourself to me today."

Now, if you want to dismiss my story as horoscope self-delusionment, that's your prerogative. But in all that time, God has only rarely gone more than 30 days without making his presence abundantly clear to me. Those 30+ stretches were some of the most difficult days of my life, but they were often followed by some of the clearest revelations of my Christian walk.

Again, you may dismiss it as self-delusionment, but I prefer to think of it the way Billy Graham once said: "I can't see the wind. I can see the effects of the wind, but I can't see the wind." Do I therefore doubt the existence of wind? No. Because I can witness it's effects.

"But the wind is scientifically measurable!" you say. Of course. Science is the measure designed by God to test things physical. Faith is the measure designed by God to test things spiritual.

I can't see God. But I've seen his effects. For 4,283 days and counting.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:51 PM   #386
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Yeah Exactly what I am saying too. You can dismiss the feeling I get and the things that happen in my life by i know they are true.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:09 AM   #387
druez
Banned

I think the biggest problem I have with what you are saying is the lack of control.

Many religious people use the mantra it was gods will. Or in gods plan. If its his will or his plan, then why give us free choice? Once again very contradictive.

I like to take credit for the good things I do in my life, I also like to shoulder the blame when bad things come my way.

Example in 2000 Alison a tropical storm hit in Houston. My 2 story condo was flooded and my wife was about 3 months pregnant at the time. I was living in a neighborhood that wasn't so great. I had no idea at the time being new to the area that the neighborhood was not a very conducive place to raise a child.

Anyway, rather then cry over spilled milk, I got out of my lease because of the flood took a loan out from my company and moved into a very nice neighborhood.

Many of you god type folks, will say it was gods will, or see god works in mysterious ways. Where I go by the mantra shit happens. You deal with the cards you are dealt and make descisions as you go.

It just seems god is for the "weak" minded or "weak" willed. I'm not saying you guys all are, but on the few occasions in my life where crap was going bad, I caught myself about to pray to god for help and stopped and said fuck that I'm stronger then that.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:52 AM   #388
revrew
Team Chaplain

"Shit happens" - did you know that was a biblical quote?

Okay, actually it's stated a bit less crudely - Rich and the poor...good and bad...wise and foolish..."Time and circumstance happen to them all". In other words, shit happens.

But is there no purpose, no meaning, no plan to the shit? Did the sun and moon and earth and carbon and oxygen and H2O and all that just accidentally come together? Am I to believe I am nothing more than a bag of plasma and protein? That there is no purpose or meaning for me being here? To me, that would take a lot of faith. A lot of faith in the power of cynicism to conquer all.

In essence, I see no validity to the "weak mind" argument. I think it takes a weak mind (likewise, not saying that YOU are) to only be able to base value and truth judgments on what the eye can see. In that way, the human mind is no more perceptive or intelligent than a dog. It only believes what images it's optical nerve can process. I think it takes a weak mind to watch a sunset and say, "It's just an accident that that is there." Can that mind not conceive anything greater? Is the human mind so dull that it can not turn patterns of events into evidence of a higher intelligence?

In essence, if faith in God is evidence of a weak mind, faith in the eyeballs alone to determine truth is no less evidence of a weak mind. I could press my point further and argue from a humanities perspective that it's even MORE evidence of a weakER mind, but I won't. I'll simply leave it at this: the weak mind argument, the crutch argument, etc. is mute. We ALL have bases for truth determination that are founded on psychological, emotional, and personal reasons and reactions. Faith in one system is no more weak than the other. We ALL have weak minds. (Of course, that's a biblical quote, too.)
Old 03-30-2004, 11:42 AM   #389
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Many religious people use the mantra it was gods will. Or in gods plan. If its his will or his plan, then why give us free choice? Once again very contradictive.
I look at it this way (time for a very bad analogy again - you lot should be used to them by now ).

As well as doing coding/design at SI, I manage the all the development staff in the company. I do this in what appears to be a very loose manner.

I ensure that everyone works on the areas of the game they enjoy the most and they keep work hours which they prefer (some work 8-5.30, some 11-7 or whatever) and while I oversee the designs for each area, unless I find something which is flawed I let people run with things in the manner they prefer... hence they have a lot of 'free will'.

Most people at SI don't know what everyone else is working on, simply because things tend to motor at a very fast rate - they simply trust me to keep track of things.

I organise all these disparate activities subtly and coordinate all the different threads of activity to give a coherant conclusion which ends in a (hopefully) successful game release for each product.

This is how I view Gods organisation of the world and mankind, we have free-will, but God puts us each in the situations which we need to learn from and has a master plan which he's nudging us in the direction of - some people trust him that he knows what he's doing, some however don't have faith yet ....

Quote:
It just seems god is for the "weak" minded or "weak" willed. I'm not saying you guys all are, but on the few occasions in my life where crap was going bad, I caught myself about to pray to god for help and stopped and said fuck that I'm stronger then that.

I know many people who are far from 'weak minded' or 'weak willed' who are christians, in fact the majority of christians I know are very strong minded individuals - the majority of which still test and question their faith in God on a daily basis.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 03-30-2004 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:17 PM   #390
druez
Banned

Hmm perhaps, I came off in the wrong way. Many still seem to think I don't believe in a force or a god. I do indeed believe in a higher power or as I like to call it a constant. I just don't believe that this force, power etc... has all the human emotions or characteristics we place upon it in the bible. I do not believe that he felt the need to send himself down in human form.

Yes, shit does happen and karma another thing I believe in works in mysterious ways. While a good many of you look at this higher power in a human sense from the bible. I tend to seperate myself from the blinders and think.

What about the rest of the universe, there has to be other civilations out there.
Do they have different beliefs in gods?
Have they figured out more then us?

While, we may never agree on the bible per say, I think we are on the same page in believing there is a force out there. The first cause or constant.

There has to be a balance in all things.

Last edited by druez : 03-30-2004 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:38 PM   #391
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
I tend to seperate myself from the blinders and think.

Here we go again...
Old 03-30-2004, 05:58 PM   #392
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
I think the biggest problem I have with what you are saying is the lack of control.

I like to take credit for the good things I do in my life, I also like to shoulder the blame when bad things come my way.

Example in 2000 Alison a tropical storm hit in Houston. My 2 story condo was flooded and my wife was about 3 months pregnant at the time. I was living in a neighborhood that wasn't so great. I had no idea at the time being new to the area that the neighborhood was not a very conducive place to raise a child.

Anyway, rather then cry over spilled milk, I got out of my lease because of the flood took a loan out from my company and moved into a very nice neighborhood.

Many of you god type folks, will say it was gods will, or see god works in mysterious ways. Where I go by the mantra shit happens. You deal with the cards you are dealt and make descisions as you go.

Maybe God is so loving in His mercy that He was helping you out all along, but doing it more for your wife and kids in a bad situation despite a guy filled with too much pride and spite to ask God for help himself.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:05 PM   #393
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

A man with much faith in God climbed onto his roof one day during a very bad flood. Soon a boat came along and the man said 'Get in!" Man on the roof replied "I'm going to wait for God to save me!"

A little later a man in a rubber raft came along and said to the man on the roof "Get in!" Man on the roof replied "I'm waiting for God to save me!" Water was getting very high now.

Finally a helicopter came along and a man with a bullhorn lowered a rope and said "Grab it!" Man on the roof yelled back...well, you know what he yelled back. Then he drowned and went on to his reward.

As the man stood before God in heaven he asked "Lord, why didn't you save me?" God replied, "I sent you a boat, a raft and a helicopter, why didn't you use one?" Moral of the story is very simple, God is often working all the time, we just often choose to ignore Him. "Why does this generation seek a sign? Only an evil generation seeks a sign, and the sign you will get will be the sign of Jonah." Jesus in the Gospels. Those who know God and commune with Him do not need the spectacular to know that He is there.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 03-30-2004 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:44 PM   #394
Bonegavel

But bubba, God would have known that the man wasn't going to accept the rides.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:50 PM   #395
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Hmm perhaps, I came off in the wrong way. Many still seem to think I don't believe in a force or a god. I do indeed believe in a higher power or as I like to call it a constant. I just don't believe that this force, power etc... has all the human emotions or characteristics we place upon it in the bible. I do not believe that he felt the need to send himself down in human form.

Yes, shit does happen and karma another thing I believe in works in mysterious ways. While a good many of you look at this higher power in a human sense from the bible. I tend to seperate myself from the blinders and think.

What about the rest of the universe, there has to be other civilations out there.
Do they have different beliefs in gods?
Have they figured out more then us?

While, we may never agree on the bible per say, I think we are on the same page in believing there is a force out there. The first cause or constant.

There has to be a balance in all things.

While I respect your veiws because they do come from intellegence, you seem to mix up God needing to send His Son. He did not need, He did it because He wanted to and to show His love to you, so you could have an opportunity to be with Him someday.

God is infused with some human characteristics yes, but He is not modeled after us, yet we are modeled after Him as it says in the bible. Thus the animals do not convey the so called Humanly emotions that we do because they were not modeled after Him.

You say God is for the weak minded to lean on in times of trouble? Well yes that is true, I am weak and I lean on him in times of trouble, yet I also accredit that trouble to being my fault but when in times of prosper I also lean on Him yet I give him credit for those times.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:51 PM   #396
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
But bubba, God would have known that the man wasn't going to accept the rides.

But how can He say to the man I would have sent them but you wouldnt have accepted. Then the man's argument that God wasnt there would have held.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:57 PM   #397
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
because it is something that can't be proven (like Valve software had the source code to Half-Life 2 stolen)

I can prove that...I can't tell you how because it might put me in a bad position, but if I had to, I could.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 10:18 PM   #398
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
I can prove that...I can't tell you how because it might put me in a bad position, but if I had to, I could.

Nice. I don't mean to hijack a holy thread, but I cannot wait for this and Doom III to arrive. Normally, I could care less, but the Half-life demo video was unbelievable and Doom III is, well, Doom III.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:08 PM   #399
sabotai
General Manager

Yes, I'm highly anticipating both (and although I know the code was stolen, I also think they're using it as a convinient excuse to delay the game. It would have been delayed anyway, we all know that. They always get delayed. )

And with that, let the religious discussion continue.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 11:11 PM   #400
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

(again) by the way, what happened to the souls of all those people who lived in North and South America prior to the 1500s? Are they all in hell because they were not "saved" by christ?