Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #351
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Well, that all depends. The NCAA didn't have their ducks in a row in the Neuheisel case and it forced them (as well as the UW) to have to settle a case they probably should have won.

I'm hoping for a similar situation in this case too! :]

In all seriousness, I want the NCAA in a court case. The more power they are given the better. Jerry Buss can only pay so much
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:04 AM   #352
Poli
FOFC Survivor

USC defensive end Malik Jackson said Monday he will transfer to Tennessee, becoming the second Trojan to take advantage of NCAA-instituted bylaws that allow USC juniors and seniors to transfer without sitting out a year.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #353
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
USC defensive end Malik Jackson said Monday he will transfer to Tennessee, becoming the second Trojan to take advantage of NCAA-instituted bylaws that allow USC juniors and seniors to transfer without sitting out a year.

Not terribly surprised. His brother switched to USC in February from UCLA suspiciously soon before it was determined he did not have the grades to even be extended an LOI from the Bruins (which is a shame, he would have competed for a spot on the line). Last I checked, I don't believe he has been able to enroll at USC yet either, and I believe he is likely headed back to a JC.

I would think the possibility of playing with his brother was one of the last things holding Malik to USC.

Edit: I looked it up and it's already official--Marquis Jackson, upon not getting into USC (and presumeably still not able to get into UCLA), has moved on to Texas Southern.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-06-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:23 AM   #354
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'll take whatever attrition I can get out of USC. I'd love for them all to go to UCLA.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #355
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Not terribly surprised. His brother switched to USC in February from UCLA suspiciously soon before it was determined he did not have the grades to even be extended an LOI from the Bruins (which is a shame, he would have competed for a spot on the line). Last I checked, I don't believe he has been able to enroll at USC yet either, and I believe he is likely headed back to a JC.

I would think the possibility of playing with his brother was one of the last things holding Malik to USC.

Edit: I looked it up and it's already official--Marquis Jackson, upon not getting into USC (and presumeably still not able to get into UCLA), has moved on to Texas Southern.

Yeah, he enroilled in Texas Southern a few weeks ago. He couldn't get his grades together enough to get into USC or UCLA. Texas Southern's standards are considerably lower. With Nick Perry passing him up on the depth chart and his brother not coming to USC, this was one of the players I was worried about leaving.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #356
MrBug708
Head Coach

Bruce Feldman twitter:

Weeks ago, Vols faxed over a list of every JR & SR on USCs roster to the Trojans' compliance office to alert them of their recruiting plan.

Tyron Smith is rumored to be looking at both Miami and Tennessee. I doubt USC lets him leave but if he doesnt and Henderson doesnt make it to campus, USC could have 8 scholarship OL
Old 07-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #357
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Love. This.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #358
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Eags, this has nothing to do with you or your team. It's really about, well, one person.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #359
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Bruce Feldman twitter:

Weeks ago, Vols faxed over a list of every JR & SR on USCs roster to the Trojans' compliance office to alert them of their recruiting plan.

If that's indeed true & accurate, it's one of the funniest things I've read in quite a while.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #360
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That was also in his column today, in a bigger section about Jackson leaving and a 2011 OLB commitment to USC.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #361
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bruce Feldman twitter:

Tyron Smith is rumored to be looking at both Miami and Tennessee. I doubt USC lets him leave but if he doesnt and Henderson doesnt make it to campus, USC could have 8 scholarship OL

USC can't stop him if he wants to leave, and he is another one I'm worried about. He got suspended for academic reasons last year and it didn't sit well with him.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #362
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Eags, this has nothing to do with you or your team. It's really about, well, one person.
Yep. The more this hurts Lane Kiffin, the more it makes me happy. Not that I have any personal investment in him like you did - I just think he's an ass.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #363
MrBug708
Head Coach

Henderson was let out of his LOI
Old 07-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #364
Poli
FOFC Survivor

That's a shame.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #365
MrBug708
Head Coach

"1. Says he sees more players leaving including Mustain.
2. He will help recruit players from USC to UT but will not be pushy about it.
3. Did not know Lane at all. Lane just told him to do what he wanted to.
4. Ed O was really pissed about it and and Monte told him it was a bad move
5. He took his visit without the staff knowing and it is probably the case with others
6. UT was only school that called and wanted him

Malik Jackson interview

http://player.streamtheworld.com/_pl...adel/?sid=2947
Old 07-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #366
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I will be absolutely shocked if Mustain leaves. He has been one of the most emphatic vocal players in saying that he was staying at USC. He believes he can go the Matt Cassel route and he knows he is entrenched as the #2 guy in a system that he now knows very well.

It sucks to lose Seantrel (assuming he doesn't still pick USC by some miracle), as I believe he is going to be a special talent.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #367
MrBug708
Head Coach

Feldman tweeted - UF got apology letter fm USC AD Mike Garrett today saying reports of Gators illegally contacting Dillon Baxter were untrue
Old 07-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #368
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Feldman tweeted - UF got apology letter fm USC AD Mike Garrett today saying reports of Gators illegally contacting Dillon Baxter were untrue

What? Something coming out of USC that wasn't true? I'm shocked I tell you, shocked.

Garrett, however, is likely to appeal the finding, hoping to have the penalty of looking like a clueless horse's ass reversed.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-07-2010 at 09:39 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #369
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
What? Something coming out of USC that wasn't true? I'm shocked I tell you, shocked.

The apology is only so they can buy time to find the phone so the allegations can be proven true.

Maybe OJ will find it along with the real killer.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #370
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Letters went out to all of the schools falsely accused.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #371
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dillion Baxter is slime. Just because your school got busted for cheating, don't try and bring down others
-----------------------------------------------------------------
USC athletic director Mike Garrett has apologized to Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley and Washington AD Scott Woodward for inaccurately alleging that a member from the schools illegally contacted Trojans freshman running back Dillon Baxter, according to a letter Garrett sent to the schools.

In the letter -- which was dated July 1 and seen by ESPN -- Garrett wrote that he spoke with Baxter and "he has now confirmed that he did not receive a call from your institution. Therefore, USC has no intention of pursuing this matter further. I apologize for any inconvenience or embarrassment this matter has caused to you and your institution."

In a letter dated June 11 -- also seen by ESPN -- USC director of compliance Matt Billings informed a Pac-10 enforcement official that Florida, Washington, Oregon, Fresno State and Alabama had allegedly contacted Baxter after the NCAA hit the Trojans with a number of penalties, including a two-year postseason ban, for improper benefits to Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush dating to the Trojans' 2004 national championship.

That letter from Billings to Ron Barker, the Pac-10's associate commissioner for governance and enforcement, stated in part: "I just met with [Baxter] and he told me that he received phone calls from five institutions [June 10th.] All of the institutions asked if he was interested in transferring from USC due to the NCAA decision. Would you please speak with these schools to remind them they cannot speak to this student athlete?"

Baxter had one of the best springs of any incoming freshman in the country, drawing comparisons from USC coach Lane Kiffin to Bush, a fellow native of San Diego. Baxter's highlight-film runs drew thousands of hits on youtube.com.

NCAA rules state that schools can contact juniors or seniors on a team facing a two-year postseason ban, but not other players.

As a senior at Mission Bay High School, Baxter ran for a San Diego-record 2,984 yards on 261 carries (11.4 avg.) with 50 TDs while accounting for a state-record 79 touchdowns on offense. He was named EA Sports Mr. Football USA and Max Preps national player of the year.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #372
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I'd be surprised if Mustain leaves as well, and I agree with what was said about the Cassel route. I think he has a great chance to do just that and get drafted, I loved what little we saw of him at Arkansas and think he could be a decent qb some day.

Also would be surprising if he transfers because its not too often a player transfers twice in his college career and plays for 3 different University's.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #373
MrBug708
Head Coach

Most also dont find themselves as an upperclassman with a chance to transfer again without sitting out. It's a special situation
Old 07-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #374
Logan
Head Coach

How long until Baxter comes out and says he was put up to it by someone at USC (possibly someone whos already been let go)?
Old 07-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #375
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Can the schools affected by this sue the kid for slander? Cause that would be awesome.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #376
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Most also dont find themselves as an upperclassman with a chance to transfer again without sitting out. It's a special situation

ahh I keep forgetting this good point. hmm . If he does decide to bail, hopefully he chooses somewhere he can actually start this time
Old 07-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #377
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I'd be surprised if Mustain leaves as well, and I agree with what was said about the Cassel route. I think he has a great chance to do just that and get drafted, I loved what little we saw of him at Arkansas and think he could be a decent qb some day.

Also would be surprising if he transfers because its not too often a player transfers twice in his college career and plays for 3 different University's.
I can think of a few...but you're right, it's not that often.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #378
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Can the schools affected by this sue the kid for slander? Cause that would be awesome.
Double like.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #379
Logan
Head Coach

I would think they would need to go after USC. The kid made the false accusation to them, the school is the one who reported it in the media.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #380
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Mustain re-iterated today that he "is 100% staying at USC."

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-07-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #381
MrBug708
Head Coach

Was Baxter the one who spoke for Mustain?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #382
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fairly easy to stay at USC when nobody else wants you.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #383
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Mustain is staying, but CB Byron Moore is leaving.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #384
MrBug708
Head Coach

It looks like Baxter contacted Florida and said he was decommiting. I bet once he realized that he couldn't actually decommit and head to Florida, that's when he told USC, to try and save face for not wanting to be at USC.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #385
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

This is the thread where we document players bolting from USC, right? Sounds like D.J. Shoemate is the latest casualty...
Old 07-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #386
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
If he does decide to bail, hopefully he chooses somewhere he can actually start this time

I figured his high school eligibility was used up already.

*I say that as someone who thought Mustain was actually the best prospect of all the SEC QB's who came in together as freshman. But time has certainly proven me wrong on that one.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #387
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is the thread where we document players bolting from USC, right? Sounds like D.J. Shoemate is the latest casualty...

Yep. Off to UConn to get a chance at being a RB instead of a FB. Him and Malik are the only 2 who wouldn't have transferred if there were no sanctions. Tyron Smith said today there is no chance he is going anywhere as Ausmus and his staff are doing a great job of getting him into the best shape of his life.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #388
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I would think they would need to go after USC. The kid made the false accusation to them, the school is the one who reported it in the media.

Reporting has nothing to do with defamation. It gets confusing because the defamation torts require that the statement be "published." But publishing can be merely saying something you know (or should know) is untrue about someone. You become responsible for all future publications of that information, including that of USC to other schools, the Pac 10, and the media.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #389
MrBug708
Head Coach

Henderson will be at the U
Old 07-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #390
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think this is going to help USC's appeal much...
Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #391
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA admission has denied fall admission for the three incoming freshman arrested and are free to attend any school this fall.

Does anyone still think Rick's move is slick?

Last edited by MrBug708 : 07-14-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #392
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think this is going to help USC's appeal much...

That is old news being re-hashed. It was in the initial report as well.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:35 AM   #393
MrBug708
Head Coach

The OC register ripped Carroll a new one

Carroll's book not a champion | carroll, win, usc - Home - The Orange County Register

Quote:
He's promoting a book whose most redeeming quality is that some of the proceeds go to Carroll's urban improvement charity project, A Better LA. Beyond that, it's 228 pages of hypocrisy, philosophical sports clichés and ripoffs of the teachings of late and legendary UCLA basketball coach.

He's practically stealing with his optimal-performance, competition-driven philosophy in his"Win Forever Pyramid" (Page 79) based on practice and maximizing potential.

We've seen this somewhere before. Oh, yes, it's in Wooden's "Pyramid of Success" and the do-your-best principles popularized during his 27 UCLA seasons and 10 NCAA titles from 1963-75. (Wooden wouldn't have used "win," though.)

Carroll, who credits Wooden's for being both influential and inspirational, also writes on Page 109, "At USC I introduced 'Three Rules,' which became the foundational elements of our program: Rule 1. Always Protect the Team; Rule 2. No Whining, No Complaining, No Excuses; Rule 3. Be Early."

At least Carroll changed up the order of the three rules Wooden told his players, among them, NBA Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who recalled the Bruins basics as " Don't be late. Don't swear. Don't criticize your teammates."

Most of "Win Forever" is about how Carroll, who admits to being an undersized but well-intentioned failed football player, fell into coaching, got exposure to great thinkers in sports psychology and went through the "process of self-discovery" to "formulate" a "vision, philosophy, and belief system into a detailed plan for winning."

Quote:
Most troubling, Carroll writes on pages 128-129 about being able to "glean a wealth of information by paying close attention to the actions, mannerisms, and traits of our players. By taking note of the clothes they wear, the hairstyles they choose, their personal interests, and the people they choose to hang out with, we get mountains of information ... to create a profile that would accurately direct our efforts to teach each player successfully."

Last edited by MrBug708 : 07-18-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #394
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I guess this is the best place to post this...

Rumor Mill: With the infractions being handed out and the transfer rules...BYU and Uona Kaveinga are applying to see if Uona can play this season....they are waiting to hear back...if he is granted he delays his mission...if he isn't, he is going on a mission.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #395
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Don't let the door hit you, Mike. I'm glad your comments, your actions, and inaction brought you to this place.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #396
MrBug708
Head Coach

USC is ran by the boosters. I doubt he does anything to change the culture. Even his first statement made me laugh
Old 07-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #397
BishopMVP
Coordinator

USC sends their copy of Bush's Heisman back and promises to eliminate all traces of his (and OJ Mayo's) picture from campus.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #398
stevew
Hall Of Famer

OJ Mayo being dirty in college is probably the least shocking news ever.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #399
molson
General Manager

Can't taking back Daryl Gross in some capacity be a part of the penalty?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #400
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
OJ Mayo being dirty in college is probably the least shocking news ever.

Yet, the NCAA cleared him as USC asked for info from them before they took him on.

Anyway, very happy to see MG go and Pat Haden is a very solid replacement.