Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #351
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I love Community, but worried about rumors that Dan Harmon is leaving the show. He's the mad genius behind it all.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #352
Ryan S
Quarterback

Community is on the fall schedule at 8:30 on Fridays.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #353
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
You know I love Community, and everything but honestly Whitney wasn't bad. In fact I think the guy that plays the boyfriend really stole the show... anyway glad to see it was picked up.

I'm glad someone actually said this because I agree. I thought he was actually quite funny. Whitney was annoying but I got decent laughs out of that show.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #354
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I'm glad someone actually said this because I agree. I thought he was actually quite funny. Whitney was annoying but I got decent laughs out of that show.

We liked it a lot more than we ever expected to. I'm glad it got picked up, but I don't get pairing with Community.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #355
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
I love Community, but worried about rumors that Dan Harmon is leaving the show. He's the mad genius behind it all.

Man the drama just doesn't stop does it. Ever since the Chevy rumors began I thought it was all made up by the cast and crew in hopes that controversy caused more people to watch. Part of me still thinks so.

But Harmon really needs to chill the fuck out. One thing I keep hearing from these articles and from the DVD commentaries especially that he is easily influenced by outside sources. This can be good and can be bad. When told by the execs that he's spending too much money on sets, this led him to create the brilliant one set bottle episode, Cooperative Calligraphy. When told animation would be good, out comes Abed's Christmas. WHen he listened to the fans that Pierce was too much an asshole and he should be kicked out because they wouldn't want to be around him, that laid down the main plot for A Fistful of Paintballs. But since season 3 began this has gone too far. He's mentioned that he's moved Pierce away from the villain role now and more like Clark Griswald because "that's what fans want".

Reading Chevy's latest rant about the direction of the show I somewhat agree with his points. I do think thhe show needs to move back into being about the school and classes so that all the weird stuff has more meaning. For several episodes it's been all weird stuff all the time.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #356
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
nice

Just took a gander at NBC cancellations. They've already cancelled
Are you there Chelsea
Awake
Bent
Best Friends Forever
Chuck
Free Agents
Harry's Law
The Playboy Club
Prime Suspect

and are likely to cancel The Firm

heh they ARE gonna need some shows. Am surprised at Chuck getting the ax.
That's one of the reasons I've read floated about why Community only got a 13-episode order. NBC is having to spend a ton on pilots and new shows, and has less budget for existing shows.

30 Rock is the comparison here ... critically acclaimed but has continued to go in the ratings dumper season by season -- and Community and 30 Rock essentially have the same ratings. I don't think NBC wants to bring either show back but they are to the point they have to bring some shows back, and these are the best choices.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #357
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Community is on the fall schedule at 8:30 on Fridays.
That is probably the final blow to the head for Community. The only good thing you can say is that there is no competition on Friday night ... but there is also nobody watching.

Surprised to see it paired with Whitney as well. I hate Whitney, but for some reason some people like it and NBC seemed high on the show. But Friday night is a death sentence.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #358
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Adult Swim Developing ‘Harold & Kumar’ Animation, and Show Created by Dan Harmon of ‘Community’ | /Film
Old 05-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #359
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
That is probably the final blow to the head for Community. The only good thing you can say is that there is no competition on Friday night ... but there is also nobody watching.

Surprised to see it paired with Whitney as well. I hate Whitney, but for some reason some people like it and NBC seemed high on the show. But Friday night is a death sentence.

Hmmmm I don't know...

People that really like Community probably don't get out much.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #360
kurtism
High School Varsity

kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #361
DanGarion
Coordinator

What a great mix of episodes to finish the season!

#SixSeasonsandaMovie!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #362
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

That was wonderful. Just wonderful. The videogame, the lawyer, the heart of the show. It is oddly endearing.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #363
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Okay that video game was awesome. I want a copy!

I did think the Law & Order ep was the best since the return until now. Now it's the videogame one.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #364
cschex
High School Varsity

I have a feeling Dan Harmon read Ready Player One before filming the video game episode.

I had honestly been a little let down since it came back from hiatus, but these last 3 were an awesome end to the season.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #365
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Fuck - Dan Harmon is out at Community. Sounds like Sony was real classy about it. I'm still watching, but holy shit - the guy was clearly the heart of the show.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/break...mmunity,75385/
Old 05-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #366
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Just saw the last 3 eps. Wow, that was great stuff. The Video Game episode was absolutely classic and Troy winning over the Vice-Dean killer was absolutely hilarious, especially the crazies in the A/C Annex (with the psycho priest).

As for Harmon leaving, it just suck, but after the run in with Chevy Chase a month or so ago, people were hinting it may happen.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:57 AM   #367
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Yeah just saw that. Dan Harmon Officially No Longer Community Showrunner - E! Online

Yeah Harmon may be the center of the show but he seems to have the same social skills as every gamers I've ever known. (aka none). All this war with Chevy Chase and he still hasn't apologized. Every time he goes to apologize for his behavior he calls Chase a prick again. Sheesh. I bet that is why he's leaving. Either the suits are tired of him badmouthing everything or else he's just stomping away (the take his ball and go home method). I don't know.

From what I've read about the Chase argument, the crew actually backed Chase up that even though Chase had disagreements, he didn't act totally unprofessional about it the way Harmon did until Harmon escalated it. And from the overall complaints he has, he's actually right. Chase's character isn't funny anymore and they don't really know what to do with him writingwise anymore. Pierce was a great 2nd season antagonist but then Harmon listened to the fans and made him just bumbling instead of a villain and it didn't really give him much to do anymore. Ah well. I'm sure they'll figure it out. It's not like there aren't any other popculture obsessed people in hollywood with the same crazy aesthetic.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:01 AM   #368
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Dan Harmon Out: "Community" Showrunner Exits After 3 Seasons

Hmmm so it seems there was a lot of crew turnover under Harmon as he wasn't the best manager so they might keep him as a consultant and that's it, but not run things. I really do think Harmon wrote his own exit with his fight with Chevy, further showing his lack of management type skills.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 05-19-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:17 AM   #369
chadritt
High School Varsity

Dan Harmon Poops, HEY, DID I MISS ANYTHING?

Dan Harmons account of what happened and what his future involvement will be.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:07 AM   #370
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Dan Harmon Poops, HEY, DID I MISS ANYTHING?

Dan Harmons account of what happened and what his future involvement will be.

whoa! heavy!
thanks for posting.

I'm not banking this matter is over though. I mean remember when Futurama was granted a 6th season and the voice cast held out and was "fired" and they even held auditions for new cast members.

Maybe something will happen. But I still think Harmon did this to himself with his frequent badmouthing of Chase. Perhaps over the summer things will cool down. They haven't even talked to him yet.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #371
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Maybe something will happen. But I still think Harmon did this to himself with his frequent badmouthing of Chase. Perhaps over the summer things will cool down. They haven't even talked to him yet.

I am not so sure it would just be the Chevy Chase thing. If you have read much of Dan Harmon's writing online, he seems like a nightmare to get along with. The Chevy argument was just a high profile example of that.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #372
DanGarion
Coordinator

I think this pretty much sums up how much the staff and cast loved him...

Old 05-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #373
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I am not so sure it would just be the Chevy Chase thing. If you have read much of Dan Harmon's writing online, he seems like a nightmare to get along with. The Chevy argument was just a high profile example of that.

True. I don't think it was the chevy chase thing. I think it was 3 years of being over budget and behind schedule and "it's my way or the highway" and his ultrahandson-ness when his show still didn't get ratings. I think the public feud and public attitude that was the icing on the cake for the execs to say "fuck him" without realizing what "fuck him" really means to the show. If the show were doing well in ratings I think they'd have been okay with all that other stuff.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 05-21-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #374
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I If you have read much of Dan Harmon's writing online, he seems like a nightmare to get along with.

Quote:
True. I don't think it was the chevy chase thing. I think it was 3 years of being over budget and behind schedule and "it's my way or the highway" and his ultrahandson-ness when his show still didn't get ratings. I think the public feud and public attitude that was the icing on the cake for the execs to say "fuck him" without realizing what "fuck him" really means to the show. If the show were doing well in ratings I think they'd have been okay with all that other stuff.
Here's the winning answer. Almost everyone who works for Dan Harman loves him, almost everyone whom he works for can't stand him. Harman's mistake with his "my way or the highway" approach with NBC and Sony is that his ratings didn't justify it.

I hate that because I love his work. But I wish he could have made it work.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #375
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 05-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #376
Radii
Head Coach

I just re-watched the 8 bit episode, and listened to the Firewall and Iceberg podcast where they spent a segment talking about community without Dan Harmon. Their comments were that any quality TV writer can write for Jeff, or Britta, or Annie... but only Dan Harmon can give us Abed and Abed is the heart of the show. *sigh* This isn't the #sixseasonsandamovie we meant dammit!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:43 AM   #377
Radii
Head Coach

Old 05-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #378
mckerney
Coordinator

Hang back and study their tactics?!?!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #379
Radii
Head Coach

random youtube thing

Last edited by Radii : 05-27-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #380
DanGarion
Coordinator

Community 8-Bit Episode Is Now An Awesome Real Game
Old 06-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #381
Radii
Head Coach

dear god that's awesome
Old 06-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #382
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
dear god that's awesome

What he said.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #383
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Forget that. The stalker girlfriend meme, along with video, is just too awesome.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #384
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Since hulu is finally showing the first episodes of Season 3 of Community for free, I finally got to see the one where Chang keeps tasering Britta with "Hello" by Lionel Ritchie playing overtop. Farewell to LMAO moments like that now that Harmon's gone.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #385
DanGarion
Coordinator

Dan Harmon On What Really Happened With Community in High Definition – G4tv.com

Interview with Dan Harmon talking about what really happened.

Last edited by DanGarion : 07-13-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #386
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Love it!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #387
Radii
Head Coach

I am Dan Harmon, creator of Community, writer of Monster House, and Executive Producer of the upcoming Charlie Kaufman Stop Motion Animated feature Anomalisa, ask me anything! : IAmA

Dan Harmon AMA on Reddit. Lots of thoughtful detailed answers in here.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #388
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

2 hours later and still reading! THANKS Radii!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #389
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Just found The IT Crowd. I can see Community people liking that show a lot. I definitely see an Abed - Moss connection for nerd love.

Like Jen a LOT. Mostly I think because she's not the typical good looking girl that nothing bad or embarraessing happens to. Quite the opposite. Bad things constantly happen to her and her reactions and deadpan are hilarious. Like a female Bob Newhart. And Moss is...well...just hilarious.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 08-29-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #390
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Incidently I find IT Crowd much funnier than big bang theory. I kind of think Roy + Moss = Sheldon
Old 08-29-2012, 01:51 AM   #391
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Just found The IT Crowd. I can see Community people liking that show a lot.

Now what would happen if we combined the two...

Old 08-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #392
mckerney
Coordinator

Joel McHale is way too handsome to play the role of Roy.

EDIT: One of my favorite scenes.

If you like Matt Berry (Douglas Reynholm) on The IT Crowd you should check out some of his other shows, Snuff Box and Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

Last edited by mckerney : 08-29-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #393
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Now what would happen if we combined the two...

now what the HELL was that! Ugh! They need to stop doing that!

Reminded me of the horrible Red Dwarf american pilot where they had Robert Llewelynn still playing Kryten and evewryone else American. Mchale does NOT work in that role and the girl is TOTALLY wrong.

Granted I don't totally like Chris Odell but he's a better fit than mchale.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #394
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Jane Leeves from Frasier as Holly and Developed by Linwood Boomer of Nightcourt and Malcolm in the Middle fame. Just horrible.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #395
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Just found The IT Crowd. I can see Community people liking that show a lot. I definitely see an Abed - Moss connection for nerd love.

Richard Ayoade (the actor who plays Moss) directed the "My Dinner with Andre" episode in season 2 of Community.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #397
Ryan S
Quarterback

New trailer. This gives me hope that the post Dan Harmon era might be OK.

Community Season 4 Premieres... Someday - YouTube

Last edited by Ryan S : 10-19-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Embedding youtube clips never works for me :(
Old 10-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #398
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
New trailer. This gives me hope that the post Dan Harmon era might be OK.

Community Season 4 Premieres... Someday - YouTube

Here you are.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #399
Izulde
Head Coach

"Pillows and Blankets" is still my favorite episode of Community, but the video game one rocked as well, along with oh, a ton of others.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #400
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
"Pillows and Blankets" is still my favorite episode of Community, but the video game one rocked as well, along with oh, a ton of others.

Check it out, the Reddit community has been working on making the game a reality...

Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne