Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #351
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Gary Roberts wants to be traded back to Toronto, according to TSN...
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:03 AM   #352
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm
I think Frankie Kaberle would be considered top 4 over Commodore, but the point remains the same. Any of those guys is probably considered 3rd pairing in Ottawa, but as unit, they get the job done.

I don't dispute the notion aside from the fact that Commodore/Hedican was usually the first defensive line on the ice. They were all pretty interchangeable, though.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:05 AM   #353
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Speaking of defensemen... I f*cking hate Andreas f*cking Lilja. It's rare that I hate a current Wings player, but Lilja drives me nuts. He's a big, (appranetly) strong man but he plays pathetically soft and appears to be always out of position. He serves no purpose other than to anger me and be praised for playing great D while, in reality, he's just riding the coattails of Lidstrom.

You left out the part of getting him confused with Peter Worrell...but other than that, right on.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:16 PM   #354
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
Gary Roberts wants to be traded back to Toronto, according to TSN...

Do we really need to take EVERY player that wants to end his career here back?

He's not even a ufa....we would need to give up something to get him.Forget that noise.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:40 PM   #355
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Do we really need to take EVERY player that wants to end his career here back?

He's not even a ufa....we would need to give up something to get him.Forget that noise.
He'd come cheap... a mid-late draft pick or marginal prospect. The salary is a bigger concern.

I'm mixed on Roberts... I loved the guy when he played here, but he apparently tried to badmouth the team to potential FAs after he left which was a low class move.

Fair warning: If the Leafs don't take him I bet the Senators get him.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:08 PM   #356
Johnny93g
College Starter

Put me in the boat that doesnt want Gary back. He's got family concern's, which is why he wants to come back, but he should have thought of that a year ago. An intersting suggestion on the fan 590 today....Trade Domi for Roberts...lol
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #357
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
He'd come cheap... a mid-late draft pick or marginal prospect. The salary is a bigger concern.

I'm mixed on Roberts... I loved the guy when he played here, but he apparently tried to badmouth the team to potential FAs after he left which was a low class move.

Fair warning: If the Leafs don't take him I bet the Senators get him.

ML...We don't need another guy to play 25-35 games a year.We have enough of them.The team started to turn around a bit last season when the youth movement came about.Let them play and learn on the job.

Just curious.....Would anyone trade a first round draft pick for Raycroft.Cause basically that's what we gave for him.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:51 PM   #358
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Ha, I hope so, but I don't see it. Blues have no one on D, new ownership taking over and they need to make a splash. People are going to want to see this kid play, and I think the pressure may cause both sides to cave.

St. Louis isn't used to being a loser (In the regular season anyway) so they're not going to stand pat for multiple years of dispair, even if it's inevitable.

Here's the latest:

Quote:
Erik Johnson, the No. 1 overall choice in the National Hockey League draft by the St. Louis Blues, said it is 50-50 whether he will sign a pro contract or go to the University of Minnesota. "The people from St. Louis are going to visit my home in a couple of weeks, and we will talk things over," Johnson said Wednesday. Close friends of Johnson are convinced he will play a year of hockey with the Gophers before turning pro.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:54 PM   #359
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

TSN reports that Redden has re-signed with the Senators for $6.5 million a year for 2 years.

It would be really interesting to see the kind of money that some of these free agents would have gotten if there was no cap in place.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:10 PM   #360
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

FSN Pittsburgh fires Mike Lange as Penguins play-by-play man!

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06180/702194-100.stm

I'm biased, but one of the great play-by-play guys...I was 15 when I remember him says "Lord Stanley, Lord Stanley, bring me the brandy....the Pittsburgh Penguins win the Stanley Cup"
Old 06-29-2006, 03:12 PM   #361
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
TSN reports that Redden has re-signed with the Senators for $6.5 million a year for 2 years.

It would be really interesting to see the kind of money that some of these free agents would have gotten if there was no cap in place.

I find it kind of strange that players are getting what seems to be fair market value without changing teams. Redden stays, McCabe stays, Sakic stays, Blake and Lidstrom are both expected to stay, Luongo just re-signed. a lot of guys last year signed long term deals a year before hitting UFA.

seems like since there can't be any real significant bidding wars, guys are just staying with their clubs and not really shopping around for better cities/organizations to play in.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:40 PM   #362
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I find it kind of strange that players are getting what seems to be fair market value without changing teams. Redden stays, McCabe stays, Sakic stays, Blake and Lidstrom are both expected to stay, Luongo just re-signed. a lot of guys last year signed long term deals a year before hitting UFA.

seems like since there can't be any real significant bidding wars, guys are just staying with their clubs and not really shopping around for better cities/organizations to play in.

I agree. I think another factor playing a role is that it seems that the earlier you sign the more money you make. It certainly appeared that way last year. As more and more players get signed, caps start getting tighter and tighter.

I also think it's a bit easier to gauge your value thanks to both the cap and the 20% rule.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-29-2006, 03:42 PM   #363
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The $6.5M for Redden is fine, but the two years is odd when most FAs are getting four or five. Sounds like Wade's not 100% sold on Muckler's future plans and wants to keep his options open.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:46 PM   #364
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I'm biased, but one of the great play-by-play guys...I was 15 when I remember him says "Lord Stanley, Lord Stanley, bring me the brandy....the Pittsburgh Penguins win the Stanley Cup"

when i would watch the devils on the center ice package, it always stuck out to me just how awful the pitt announcers were.

i cant say for sure it was Lange's fault...but the odds are 50-50.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:09 PM   #365
Travis
Pro Rookie

Just read an article on yahoo talking about McCabe, and how the reason he's saying that he didn't sign the deal earlier wasn't because of money/content, but because of timing.

Now, I'm fully for a guy wanting to support his wife if she's having health troubles and the like, which is what he seems to be citing, but he also says that it's the same deal that he agreed to in May, and that it didn't change. Then he goes on to say how difficult it is to see his wife getting called out in the paper day in and day out and all that sort of stuff.

So how hard would it have been to just sign the deal and eliminate all those extra headaches if the deal was agreed to at least a month ago? It really makes very little sense that signing a deal he had agreed to would cause him to miss out on being there for his wife, so instead they both get more upset by the rumors that begin to circulate centered around her.

Sounds like some spin doctoring by McCabe to get his wife's name out of the mud, but a poor job at that unless I'm really missing something here.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:13 PM   #366
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Sounds like some spin doctoring by McCabe to get his wife's name out of the mud, but a poor job at that unless I'm really missing something here.
I'm assuming it's either his wife or his infant son. In either case, they may have been thinking that if things took a turn for the worse it would be preferable to sign in Long Island and be near her family.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:52 PM   #367
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

The Pens offered him the job to do pbp on radio as a result of this.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:58 PM   #368
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Just curious.....Would anyone trade a first round draft pick for Raycroft.Cause basically that's what we gave for him.

We traded a 1st rounder for Roloson...so yes.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:21 PM   #369
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
We traded a 1st rounder for Roloson...so yes.

Don't forget the 3rd if we resign him too.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:54 PM   #370
bronconick
College Starter

So, the Avs apparently fucked themselves from contracts of 5 years ago.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_3987191

Quote:
Undisclosed bonus clauses in the previous contracts of Joe Sakic and Rob Blake could make it difficult for the Avalanche to sign its own players and other prospective free agents starting Saturday.
As part of their five-year contracts signed in 2001, Sakic and Blake are due bonus payments of $2.3 million each, money that will count against the 2006-07 NHL salary cap of $44 million.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:56 PM   #371
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Here's the latest:

Again:

EJ will play one year at the U unless St Louis blows him away with a offer and insists that he goes pro.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:23 PM   #372
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
I'm assuming it's either his wife or his infant son. In either case, they may have been thinking that if things took a turn for the worse it would be preferable to sign in Long Island and be near her family.

Yeah, that's what I think this was about... and I really don't understand why a lot of people are jumping on McCabe over this. This is a very different situation than the Pronger/Edmonton one, and shouldn't be compared...
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-29-2006, 10:33 PM   #373
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I think this was about... and I really don't understand why a lot of people are jumping on McCabe over this. This is a very different situation than the Pronger/Edmonton one, and shouldn't be compared...
True... now that we know some details. Given that nobody knew what was going on the past three weeks because McCabe (understandably) wasn't talking, it's not hard to imagine where the rumors came from.

If anything, maybe seeing McCabe break down in front of the TV cameras today talking about JFJ taking the heat for him might erase a small bit of Ferguson's reputation around the league.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:06 AM   #374
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Ok, why are the Leafs going to buy out Domi's contract? If they do they'll save $450,000 but his entire contract of $1.5 Million will count towards the cap because of his status under the CBA. MLSE isn't hard up for cash, so what is the benefit of doing this?
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-30-2006, 12:19 AM   #375
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ok, why are the Leafs going to buy out Domi's contract? If they do they'll save $450,000 but his entire contract of $1.5 Million will count towards the cap because of his status under the CBA. MLSE isn't hard up for cash, so what is the benefit of doing this?

He has the ear of too many players in the dressingroom,which was fine during the Quinn era as Domi was a Quinn supporter.Perhaps he and Maurice do not see eye to eye.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:23 AM   #376
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16
The Pens offered him the job to do pbp on radio as a result of this.

Yeah...but FSN blows. They weren't great to begin with, and now they cut Savran from radio and Lange from TV.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:37 AM   #377
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Stars buy out Guerin, and the purge is complete. *shudder*
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:55 AM   #378
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Stars buy out Guerin, and the purge is complete. *shudder*

They've halted negotiations with Arnott as well.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-30-2006, 09:38 AM   #379
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
They've halted negotiations with Arnott as well.

oh, son of a bitch.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:45 AM   #380
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'd get excited about Arnott...if the Avs had money.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:22 AM   #381
bbor
Pro Starter

Belfour and Domi are expected to be put on waivers today.Looks like Roberts is coming to the Leafs for a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

In other new Bill Barilkos body went missing again.....

Old 06-30-2006, 10:48 AM   #382
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Hurricanes re-sign Andrew Hutchinson for very cheap money (2 years/$950,000). He was mostly a bit player this year, but with the defense corps up in the air this offseason, he may be getting a lot more ice time next year along with Anton Babchuk. Wesley still hasn't decided one way or another about coming back and Wallin and Ward have been tendered offers, but obviously that's only step one. Hedican also hasn't said anything about his plans for next year, though he's currently under contract. He went through a lot of health problems before the lockout enabled him to get the surgery and therapy he desperately needed to get better finally. Now that he has his Cup win, does he want to risk his health further by continuing to play?

Elsewhere for Carolina, rumors continue to come up that Staal and Justin Williams are going to be signing in fairly short order and at least in Staal's case the reason it hasn't been announced yet is that by CBA rules, his signing can't be official until tomorrow. Given that Brindy's still the highest paid player on the team at $4 mill/yr and he got a five-year extension, I wonder if PK/JR are willing to put up a similar big number and time period for someone who could be a perennial all-star. I do so because generally the SOP for Carolina is a general aversion to long-term, big-dollar deals. Of course now that the cap is in place and the lockout is no longer an issue, we may see them loosening things up a bit.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 06-30-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:54 AM   #383
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

The Leafs are planning on going after Jay McKee & Jason Arnott...

A question regarding Belfour... Do the Leafs take a cap hit if they don't pick up his option?
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-30-2006, 10:57 AM   #384
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

A question regarding Belfour... Do the Leafs take a cap hit if they don't pick up his option?

Jay McKee's name has been linked with pretty much every team looking for a defensemen. He is always mentioned as the "B-level" guy everyone wants, since teams will find it hard to stomach the salary demands the likes of Chara, Jovo, Blake (if he doesn't re-sign), etc.

I think Jay McKee will stand to earn a pretty penny this summer.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:00 AM   #385
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm pretty sure they do.

McKee is a nice player who excelled during the play-offs to national exposure.I hope they don't overpay for him because he really is what he is...a stay at home D.4 mil tops for him i would think,but i'd be more comfotable with 3 mil.

Is Arnott a center?Don't we have enough of those already?Would it not be smarter to spend the $$ we have on a winger for Mats?

Old 06-30-2006, 11:00 AM   #386
General Mike
Pro Starter

Anyone know if the Rangers are doing anything?
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #387
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike

Watching Isiah and learning what NOT to do.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:05 AM   #388
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike

The big names that I have heard linked to the Rangers are Chara and Elias. The Rangers have denied that they will be willing to spend the $ necessary to land Chara, which also may mean they wont be willing to spend the $ necessary to get Elias.

The Rangers were also mentioned in the Pronger sweepstakes.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:07 AM   #389
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
There's a $1.5M buyout. That counts against the cap, I think spread out over two years. The rest of his salary does not.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:10 AM   #390
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thrashers re-sign D Steve McCarthy, apparently 1 yr/$775k.

And from http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...thrashers.html

They've chosen not to make qualifying offers to Bondra, Petrovicky, Vigier, and Aubin. Also not receiving offers were several players who spent last year in the AHL and/or ECHL including former enforcer Francis Lessard, defenseman Tomas Kloucek, goalie Adam Berkhoel, D Jeff Dwyer and F Brian Maloney.

Players whose rights the team has retained include goalie Kari Lehtonen, newly acquired center Niko Kapanen, defensemen Brian Sipotz, and forwards Kevin Doell, Karl Stewart and Colin Stuart.

edit to add: GM Waddell says he expects that Bondra will retire.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-30-2006 at 11:46 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:34 AM   #391
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
McKee is a nice player who excelled during the play-offs to national exposure.I hope they don't overpay for him because he really is what he is...a stay at home D.4 mil tops for him i would think,but i'd be more comfotable with 3 mil.

McKee not only excelled during the playoffs but was fantastic during the regular season. An absolute rock on defense. Led the entire NHL in blocked shots by a wide margin.

Buffalo's chances of resigning him are pretty much slim to none. They certainly have the funds after making over $5 million in profit this year (plus they presumably are trading Martin Biron and his $2+ million in salary). They also have plenty of room under the cap, even after signing all their restricted free agents.

However, Buffalo is big on maintaining the proper structure in their salaries. So I can tell you that Jay McKee WILL NOT be paid more money than Chris Drury or Daniel Briere, and rightfully so. That means Buffalo will only offer about $2.5 million a year at most to maintain that structure they've built.

I'll tell you this much. McKee is worth every penny of $2.5 million but someone will without doubt overpay for his services, likely in the $3.2-$3.5 million territory. A stay-at-home defenseman, even with his fantastic leadership skills, isn't worth that type of scratch and fans will likely be disappointed in the return.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:51 AM   #392
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

wow, Lidstrom to Nashville. didn't see that one coming at all
Old 06-30-2006, 11:51 AM   #393
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

(made you look)
Old 06-30-2006, 12:00 PM   #394
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
(made you look)

LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 06-30-2006, 12:02 PM   #395
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
wow, Lidstrom to Nashville. didn't see that one coming at all

Quote:
(made you look)

Dude, seriously. That shit was not funny. I repeat, not funny.

In all honesty, I read that and all the blood either ran to my head or left my head. I am not sure, all I know is that I swooned a bit in my chair.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:03 PM   #396
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

mission accomplished!
Old 06-30-2006, 12:05 PM   #397
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Lidstrom at $7.6 million for two years. He is making exactly the same he made last year. Is Lidstrom worth $1.1 million more than Wade Redden? Yeah, I think so. Pronger? Eh, probably not.

That said, Lidstrom is one of best defensemen in the league and, in all likelihood, will go down as one of the Top 10 defensemen ever in the NHL. In a way, he's taking a pay cut by not asking for the max, so the Wings will have a little more salary to work with than last year.

Next up Osgood and Shanahan. Yzerman said his deadline for deciding is tomorrow, but he has said that before. He's allowed as much time as is needed...
Old 06-30-2006, 12:31 PM   #398
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

TSN reports: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170103&hubname=nhl

Tampa Bay has traded Fredrick Modin and Fredrik Norrena to Columbus for Marc Denis.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:33 PM   #399
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I like Denis, but I think the Lightning got taken on that one
Old 06-30-2006, 12:34 PM   #400
Pyser
Pro Rookie

interesting. in the year of the goalie (not defensemen, damnit!), tb went outside the box.

i assume denis is cheaper than giguere (sp?), nabakov, or any other available western conference goalie.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote