Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #3901
RainMaker
General Manager

The weird thing about the Pirates moves is they didn't really get any great prospsects in return for any of their deals. I mean there's a chance that a few of those guys become big league players, but the odds are that none will be special.

I sort of wonder if they would have been better off packaging some of those guys together to a team for a top prospect instead of unloading them separately for just decent prospects.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #3902
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It would be an interesting exercise to see all the teams but darned if I've got the patience or the energy to do it.

I will do the Braves though, comparing 2008 Opening Day vs today's roster

Pitchers (4) -- Manny Acosta, Rafael Soriano, Jair Jurrjens, and Peter Moylan.
Mike Gonzalez was on the DL last year to start the season, while Tim Hudson was on the roster but is currently on the DL. Gone are Glavine, Hampton, Smoltz (DL), Blaine Boyer, Jeff Bennett, Will Ohman, Royce Ring, and Chris Resop

Catchers (1) -- McCann.
Gone are Brayan Pena & Corky Miller, replaced by David Ross

Infielders (4) -- Jones, Escobar, Johnson, and Prado.
Gone are Texeira and Reuben Gotay, replaced by Diory Hernandez & Adam LaRoche

Outfielders (1) - Matt Diaz
Gone are Francouer & Kotsay, with Gregor Blanco back in the minors. Replaced by Anderson, McLouth, and Church

So a season & a half later, only 10 players remain from Opening Day 2008.

This is another team that I can't figure out. They seem to have this "style" of player that they like and anyone that doesn't fit into the mold is out the door.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #3903
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They seem to have this "style" of player that they like and anyone that doesn't fit into the mold is out the door.

Any player with much in the way of personality doesn't last long. Any player that doesn't sing the praises of the Nose Picker General doesn't last long. Any player who has more career in front of him rather than behind him who isn't perfectly happy sitting behind an underperformer doesn't last long. The exceptions to any of those things are if Cox happens to take a liking to you, in which case as long as you stay out of the newspaper then you're fine. It also helps if you pal around with one or more of the golden children.

I could go on, but yeah, there's definitely a "type".
Old 08-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #3904
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
It also helps if you pal around with one or more of the golden children.

Hahaha, who are the golden children? McCann? Escobar?
Old 08-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #3905
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Hahaha, who are the golden children? McCann? Escobar?

Not too many people who are in Chipper's good graces seem to get shipped out.

Francouer isn't really an exception, as he went from being one of Larry's buddies to being on the outside (not saying that's unreasonable on Jones' part in that case though).
Old 08-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #3906
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The weird thing about the Pirates moves is they didn't really get any great prospsects in return for any of their deals. I mean there's a chance that a few of those guys become big league players, but the odds are that none will be special.

I sort of wonder if they would have been better off packaging some of those guys together to a team for a top prospect instead of unloading them separately for just decent prospects.

The Pirates didn't really have any players that could net them any great players. I don't think packaging several of them together would have helped as they would have needed to find a team with the needs to match and the willingness to part with higher end prospects. And with the way teams value prospects these days that would have been a tough proposition.

That said, I do like the pitcher they got from the Giants. They've also received enough guys in return that they can reasonably hope that a number of them will turn into decent contributors, but not necessarily stars. The stars need to come from the draft and international amateur signings.

I really do like the direction the Pirates are taking and that scares me as a Brewer fan. At least they aren't hanging on to the Jose Mesa's of the world like they used to do chasing that 70th win.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #3907
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't think the Pirates got anyone high end, I mean, as been said before you are never going to get those guys via trade.

The rotation they have now isn't awful, and it's more than acceptable by Pirate standards. The staff ERA(4.32) is solidly in the middle of the national league. Teams 6-12 go from 4.21 to 4.36. They have several arms in the pipeline.

They have something like 5 guys to cover the 2 corner outfield positions for the next several years(Brandon Moss, Garrett Jones, Jose Tabata, Lastings Milledge, Gorkys Hernandez) Out of that group nobody is super special, but I have to think at least 2 will develop into above average major leaguers.

In the corner infield they have Andy Laroche and Pedro Alvarez at third, and some combo of Steve Pearce/Jeff Clement/Alvarez/Jones at first.

Middle infield is a bit weak, for now.

I'm not saying that this team is going to win it all in the next 5 years, but they should snap the losing streak soon.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #3908
samifan24
Pro Starter

The Pirates will be in good shape in a couple of years with a core of McCutchen, Milledge, Alvarez, LaRoche and Sanchez. I think the biggest question is the long term pitching prospects. Alderson is probably the best and most advanced but what about lesser known guys? Will Brad Lincoln ever pan out?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #3909
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Since the game itself has turned into an 8-0 laugher for the Dodgers, it's kind of interesting to notice that the fans in Atlanta are pretty much treating Manny like he's playing a home game. They cheered his nice catch just now & booed when he was given an intentional walk with a base open.

For whatever reason, the guy could pretty much rape a goat on YouTube and then Twitter about it & still be popular.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #3910
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Since the game itself has turned into an 8-0 laugher for the Dodgers, it's kind of interesting to notice that the fans in Atlanta are pretty much treating Manny like he's playing a home game. They cheered his nice catch just now & booed when he was given an intentional walk with a base open.

For whatever reason, the guy could pretty much rape a goat on YouTube and then Twitter about it & still be popular.

Well, considering the recent Atlanta reputation for not selling out games, and Atlanta's (relative) proximity to the Dodgers' old Spring Training stomping grounds, how much of that is road fans and how much is Braves fans cheering on goat rape?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #3911
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dola,

bummer to see Jamie Shields lose his no-hitter.

Went to high school with him in the '90s. would've been neat to be able to say that a classmate wrote a chapter of baseball history.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #3912
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

I couldn't believe Red Sox fans were giving David Ortiz a standing ovation in Baltimore the other game. Not only did he use steroids but he lied about it and not only did he lie about he talked about how users disgrace their families. How do you cheer for someone after that? At least Manny never talked a big game about not using steroids.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #3913
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Well, considering the recent Atlanta reputation for not selling out games, and Atlanta's (relative) proximity to the Dodgers' old Spring Training stomping grounds, how much of that is road fans and how much is Braves fans cheering on goat rape?

As a guy who has owned & worn a Dodgers cap in Georgia for a large part of the last 35 years or so (I think I was about 7 when I got my first one, I'm on at least #4 now) I can tell you with some confidence that there's precious few Dodger fans around Atlanta or that have ever shown up for games here as visitors.

Cubs, Mets, Yankees, maybe the Cardinals, okay I'd buy that. But the Dodgers? Nah, I just don't see it. They aren't cheering everybody else, it's a Manny thing.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-02-2009 at 10:07 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #3914
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Seeing how they highlighted the crowd early in the game (edit: on ESPN) and just recently, there are a very good number of Dodgers fans in the crowd. Plenty of blue in the stands.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-02-2009 at 10:09 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #3915
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Seeing how they highlighted the crowd early in the game (edit: on ESPN) and just recently, there are a very good number of Dodgers fans in the crowd. Plenty of blue in the stands.

I only turned on in about the, I dunno, 6th inning maybe (it was 5-0 whenever it was), so I didn't see it.

All I can tell you in that case is that it's something I've never seen in my lifetime here. If anything, the Dodgers are traditionally one of the more disliked NL teams that come to town (along with the Phillies and Giants).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-02-2009 at 10:12 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:13 PM   #3916
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It may be a result of their record (people jumping on the wagon... or fans coming out of the woodwork).

And some decent cheering for Kemp's catch ending the Braves' threat.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #3917
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As a guy who has owned & worn a Dodgers cap in Georgia for a large part of the last 35 years or so (I think I was about 7 when I got my first one, I'm on at least #4 now) I can tell you with some confidence that there's precious few Dodger fans around Atlanta or that have ever shown up for games here as visitors.

Cubs, Mets, Yankees, maybe the Cardinals, okay I'd buy that. But the Dodgers? Nah, I just don't see it. They aren't cheering everybody else, it's a Manny thing.

As most of the world hates the Yankees, most people our age that grew up in the Southeast (and was not a Reds fan) grew up learning to hate/despise the Dodgers. Every year in the late 70s/early 80s it seemed the Dodgers would always win the West, even the few years where the Braves had an ok team in the early 80s, the Dodgers usually beat them out.

anti-Dodgers in baseball and anti-49ers in football , that will tell you who actually grew up as Atlanta fans vs who just jumped on the Braves bandwagon in the 90s or Falcons bandwagon in the .. well 1 year or 2 they were decent.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #3918
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Or, Hell... were born when I was (1980) or later.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-02-2009 at 10:21 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #3919
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
The Pirates didn't really have any players that could net them any great players. I don't think packaging several of them together would have helped as they would have needed to find a team with the needs to match and the willingness to part with higher end prospects. And with the way teams value prospects these days that would have been a tough proposition.

lungs kindof head the nail on the head- if you're another team, are you going to give up a can't miss prospect for any of the Pirates who just got shipped away, even if you got 3 of them? Or would you package numerous lower prospects? No team is going "I'm the major pieces of a 45-59 team away from contending for a World Series".

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #3920
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
As most of the world hates the Yankees, most people our age that grew up in the Southeast (and was not a Reds fan) grew up learning to hate/despise the Dodgers.

I hadn't thought about it that way specifically, especially since I've got a history of having a diehard Dodgers fan in the family, but you're pretty much on target I think.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #3921
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It's a kick in the gut to see Banny pitching as well as he has been, but I'm still glad to see it. Seems like a very interesting and intelligent guy from the interviews I've seen and I'm a fan of any player who is interested in how sabermetrics can help him as a player.

A friend of mine wants to get a Bannister jersey except for instead of 19, it has pi on it

SI

Old 08-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #3922
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The M's deal with Pittsburgh for Snell & Wilson bugged me a little bit. Cedeno is OK as a 25th guy to play defense in late innings, but his bat is pathetic - no big loss there. And Clement has yet to prove he can stick at C, and while he put up big numbers in AAA last year, he hasn't yet shown his bat will play well in the bigs. He may yet turn into a decent bat at 1B, but he's clearly a disappointment for being the #3 pick in the loaded 2005 draft. He's got some potential still as a decent power hitter, but some questions as well and is unlikely to become a star.

No, the problem I have is the M's adding in 3 promising A-ball arms. Pribanic is the most promising of the bunch - he was running a ridiculous 2.74 GB/FB ratio in the Wisconsin league while also posting a decent K/BB ratio (2.08) and good BB rate (2.69/9 IP). An extreme groundballer with decent control always has a shot at a big league career. Lorin was showing the ability to miss bats (8.83 K's per 9 IP) and good control (3.48 K:BB ratio), though he is a flyballing pitcher. He's got a shot to be a decent reliever, if not a back-end starter. Adcock was working the very pitcher-unfriendly California League (A+ ball) and his numbers were nothing special, but scouts like his stuff.

Out of those 3 pitchers, it's likely the Pirates will get quality major league work out of at least one of them.

Jack Wilson is a nice defensive shortstop, but he's not exactly cheap at $8.4M for next year. Ian Snell is obviously the key to this deal - if his stint at AAA got his head back in the game and the change of scenery improves his attitude (and early indications are good on that) this may still be a fair deal for the M's, but to me, they overpaid.

Regarding Washburn to Detroit, that's a win-win deal - the Tigers get help for their rotation and the M's get some useful parts moving forward for a guy that's going to be an overpriced free agent. The M's weren't going to offer arbitration because he'd cost too much for what he brings, and even if they did and he declined he's still only going to be a Type B free agent.

Washburn is a classic example of why evaluating a pitcher by ERA is highly flawed. He's a slightly better pitcher this year than he has been in the past for the M's, but not by much. He's been helped a great deal by vastly improved OF defense behind him (.758 DER) and has been lucky with men on base (79.5% strand rate). He'll get another big money deal, and meanwhile in Luke French the M's get a guy with very similar skills who costs a fraction of Washburn and is under club control for several more years. Plus, they get a kid in Robles with a live arm - 10.3 K/9 in A+ ball this year, 11.3 K/9 in A ball last year. He's got a little work to do on his control (4.04 BB/9 over the last two seasons) but he could end up as a very useful lefty reliever with that kind of power stuff. And he's also under club control for several more years.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #3923
stevew
Hall Of Famer

good luck with Snell. I can almost guarantee you'll never enjoy watching him pitch. Too many 35 pitch type innings for no goddamn reason, too much nibbling. He's like the anti Buehrle, he works fucking slow as shit and doesn't throw strikes unless he feels like it. Totally doesnt trust his stuff at all. Head case, given like way too many opportunities to pitch. Should have been demoted last year, when he shit all over the bed all season. One of the major factors that caused them to have to consider the nuclear rebuild option.

In short, he's a cunthole.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #3924
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Isn't the "hole" redundant?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:49 AM   #3925
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
good luck with Snell. I can almost guarantee you'll never enjoy watching him pitch. Too many 35 pitch type innings for no goddamn reason, too much nibbling. He's like the anti Buehrle, he works fucking slow as shit and doesn't throw strikes unless he feels like it. Totally doesnt trust his stuff at all. Head case, given like way too many opportunities to pitch. Should have been demoted last year, when he shit all over the bed all season. One of the major factors that caused them to have to consider the nuclear rebuild option.

Well, it obviously didn't work out for him in Pittsburgh. I'm not going to worry too much about him being a headcase for now - at this point it could simply be that the situation was a bad one for him in terms of personalities in Pittsburgh. He obviously had an issue with a manager he felt didn't have his back. Whether that is true or simply sour grapes, I can't know.

I'll say this - maybe he worked slow in Pittsburgh, but he was working very fast tonight - get the ball from the catcher, check the sign and fire. No wasted time with him tonight. I didn't find him hard to watch tonight, but maybe that will change.

Yeah, he nibbles. From the sounds of it, he doesn't have a great out pitch against lefties and that's a big reason why he can ring up some high pitch counts.

Showed a decent fastball, a pretty good breaking ball and a change that he couldn't really command. In short, nothing outstanding, but not really any worse than Washburn, and with the potential to be better (and certainly cheaper).

I still think this deal may come back to bite the M's a bit if a couple of those A-ball pitchers develop, but I can see why Snell was of interest to the M's.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:43 AM   #3926
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
At RoyalsReview, many of us were trying to say "no hitter" as much as possible to break it up

SI

That's the second time this year that the Royals have been no-hit late into a game, only to have the starting pitcher implode when he does finally give up a hit and have the Royals end up winning the game.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #3927
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Here you go dawgfan (and others) - the big deal the Red Sox were/supposedly will be working on again this winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/marinersblog/2009591133_mariners_turned_down_three-way.html#continue
Boston wanted Felix Hernandez and gave the Mariners a list of eight prospects, from which Seattle would be allowed to pick any five. They included:
RHP Clay Buchholz
RHP Daniel Bard
RHP Justin Masterson
LHP Nick Hagadone
RHP Michael Bowden
LHP Felix Doubront
OF Josh Reddick
SS Yamaico Navarro
Seattle turned that down. But that was just the warm-up act to the blockbuster proposal that followed.
a possible three-way deal with Seattle that would send Adrian Gonzalez to the Mariners, along with Buchholz and a couple of other Red Sox prospects.
The Red Sox would get Hernandez.
And the Padres would get Brandon Morrow, Phillippe Aumont and Carlos Triunfel from Seattle, along with a couple of other top Boston prospects.
The 2nd one doesn't even really make sense to me. Assuming Gonzalez and Hernandez are in the same ballpark it seems odd that Seattle would also be trading away some of its best prospects for Boston ones. I guess they thought Buchholz could be the ace-ready guy to replace Felix in the rotation, but it still seems odd. Then again, I don't understand why Seattle was trading away players like Washburn and also trading prospects for an overpaid shortstop and Ian Snell.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 08-03-2009 at 12:52 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #3928
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

but but but...i'd rather have AGon + King Felix

or if I have to pick one of the two...AGon
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #3929
Easy Mac

Quote:

Weird, I was at the Saturday game, and everything Manny did got booed fairly loudly (unless he made an out, then it was a loud cheer). His noodle-armed throw to try and get the Go-ahead run was great. I was sitting right on the left field line and told him to get better steroids. It got a good laugh from the surrounding crowd, but Manny was too busy watching the big screen.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #3930
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Weird, I was at the Saturday game, and everything Manny did got booed fairly loudly (unless he made an out, then it was a loud cheer). His noodle-armed throw to try and get the Go-ahead run was great. I was sitting right on the left field line and told him to get better steroids. It got a good laugh from the surrounding crowd, but Manny was too busy watching the big screen.

Which is in line with what I would have expected (and is why I attributed last night's obvious positive reactions to being Manny-related not Dodgers-related).

{scratches head & then shrugs}

Maybe every Dodger fan in the east just showed up for last night's ESPN game or something.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #3931
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
but but but...i'd rather have AGon + King Felix

or if I have to pick one of the two...AGon
FWIW, Felix has posted higher WAR values than Gonzalez for the last 3 seasons. I'd rather have Felix.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #3932
RainMaker
General Manager

I think I would have taken that deal with Boston. Although I would have made it 3 with 2 PTBNL.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #3933
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Here you go dawgfan (and others) - the big deal the Red Sox were/supposedly will be working on again this winter.The 2nd one doesn't even really make sense to me. Assuming Gonzalez and Hernandez are in the same ballpark it seems odd that Seattle would also be trading away some of its best prospects for Boston ones. I guess they thought Buchholz could be the ace-ready guy to replace Felix in the rotation, but it still seems odd. Then again, I don't understand why Seattle was trading away players like Washburn and also trading prospects for an overpaid shortstop and Ian Snell.
Yeah, I don't get the 2nd option either - either it's bogus, or there's some significant part left out.

FWIW, if the M's can't get a reasonable extension worked out with Felix this off-season (and there's little incentive for Felix to cut the M's much of a deal at this point other than loyalty), I'd be OK with option A. I wouldn't like it, but if the choice is between that and possibly losing Felix with Type A compensation coming back, I'd take it as the better option.

None of those pitchers is likely to end up close to Felix's equal, but there's value in quantity of above-average guys.

Regarding why trade Washburn for prospects and prospects for Wilson and Snell, it's because the M's aren't that far away. Whereas Washburn is going to be an over-priced free agent at the end of the year, Snell is under club control for a few more seasons and is likely to be the better pitcher. Wilson, if they choose to pick up his option, gives the M's a very good defensive SS and provides some overall value, though he'd be a bit overpriced at his option salary. Essentially, the M's at worst stayed at their current win level (if not actually improving) while improving their payroll situation.

Last edited by dawgfan : 08-03-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #3934
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
FWIW, Felix has posted higher WAR values than Gonzalez for the last 3 seasons. I'd rather have Felix.

Acquiring Felix at this point is the same idea as acquiring Pedro in '97. I'd take him over AGon every day of the week. I would really hope they can do something this offseason, though I'd worry about New York getting involved.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #3935
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Acquiring Felix at this point is the same idea as acquiring Pedro in '97. I'd take him over AGon every day of the week. I would really hope they can do something this offseason, though I'd worry about New York getting involved.
Seattle is going to have to offer big money this off-season if they want to lock up Felix beyond 2011 - they've let things go too long to get him at a huge bargain. USSMariner (and FanGraphs) blogger Dave Cameron figures the M's will have to offer something around 4 years/$60M for Felix to seriously consider signing an extension. Seattle Times baseball beat writer Larry Stone thinks it will take more.

Yet another thing to be upset at Bill Bavasi over - he consistently low-balled his long-term offers to Felix, so that's why the M's are in this position.

It may be that Felix enjoys Seattle enough to listen to extension offers rather than insist on going into free agency in the 2011 off-season, but if not, the M's probably have no choice but to shop him. As a free agent, I would imagine that only the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and maybe Cubs would have the resources to bid for him, given that the Yankees would certainly offer him huge money and those are the only other clubs that seem likely to be able to make offers in the same ballpark.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #3936
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
No question if they're both healthy Hernandez is the better player - but without knowing his medical files, there are the obvious injury concerns to do with throwing so many innings at a young age. There's also the question of how they fit - Boston has Beckett/Lester, and I guess Theo is pushing hard for a 3rd ace to lock down a playoff rotation, but a lot of people feel it starts getting redundant - having 3 aces may win playoff series, but you need hitting to make the postseason.
Quote:
Regarding why trade Washburn for prospects and prospects for Wilson and Snell, it's because the M's aren't that far away. Whereas Washburn is going to be an over-priced free agent at the end of the year, Snell is under club control for a few more seasons and is likely to be the better pitcher. Wilson, if they choose to pick up his option, gives the M's a very good defensive SS and provides some overall value, though he'd be a bit overpriced at his option salary. Essentially, the M's at worst stayed at their current win level (if not actually improving) while improving their payroll situation.
If it's more of a trade for Snell where they think they can turn him into a quality starter going forward it makes more sense. It was the Wilson part throwing me off, since he seems to be a rental and then incredibly overpriced if picked up at 8.4 million - even with the most favorable defensive metrics added in.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #3937
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It was the Wilson part throwing me off, since he seems to be a rental and then incredibly overpriced if picked up at 8.4 million - even with the most favorable defensive metrics added in.
FanGraphs has him at 1.8 WAR so far this year, which works out to $8.3M of free market value in their formulas.

Now granted, the actual market for defensive middle infielders may be weaker than that in reality, but I don't think Wilson would be incredibly overpriced at $8.4M next year assuming he doesn't drop off significantly.

The M's under Zduriencik have clearly valued defense, and acquiring Wilson fits with this philosophy. The uptick in value at SS in going from Betancourt to Wilson is huge, even considering Wilson's weak bat, just because Wilson is a top level fielder whereas Betancourt has devolved into a horrific defender and his bat (never better than "OK") has also taken a big dive.

The emphasis on defense this year has already paid off in turning Washburn from a guy they got barely passable offers for last year into a guy that got a decent return a year later even with him being a pending free agent. Maybe they figure if Bedard returns this month and pitches a few good games into the 6th inning and beyond they can get some value for him too, and having Wilson behind him only helps that cause.

As for next year, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have Wilson at $8.4M - not the best situation, but not a crippler like Silva's $12M.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #3938
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The M's under Zduriencik have clearly valued defense

Which is a big depature from his drafting philosophy with the Brewers. At least it shows he's flexible in his philosophies.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #3939
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Fuck you, Bengie Molina.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #3940
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Plus the 8.4 is only for one year - do they have someone coming up behind him they're hoping to be ready for 2011? I know the Mariners have been super-aggressive with their best prospects like Felix and Triunfel. Also, are they going for/have a lot of GB pitchers? You could see how Justin Masterson in particular was hurt by how badly the left side of the RS defense played this year until Lowrie (an average defender, but at least consistent) came back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Which is a big departure from his drafting philosophy with the Brewers. At least it shows he's flexible in his philosophies.
Isn't Miller Park much smaller than Safeco? Plus it could just be the moneyball-esque philosophy - he thought people were undervaluing power, and with the increased testing for steroids lowering numbers he may have been right. He definitely seems like a good GM so far, although it doesn't take much after his predecessor.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #3941
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Plus the 8.4 is only for one year - do they have someone coming up behind him they're hoping to be ready for 2011? I know the Mariners have been super-aggressive with their best prospects like Felix and Triunfel.
Unfortunately, no. They used to have a plethora of SS candidates a few years ago (Betancourt, Adam Jones before switching to CF, Asdrubal Cabrera) but currently the system is pretty slim in terms of true SS. Triunfel has been playing SS, but it's expected he'll probably end up at 2B or 3B on the Majors.

Quote:
Also, are they going for/have a lot of GB pitchers? You could see how Justin Masterson in particular was hurt by how badly the left side of the RS defense played this year until Lowrie (an average defender, but at least consistent) came back.
Well, Felix is a big-time groundballer. After that, not so much at the moment. Snell, Rowland-Smith, Morrow, Vargas, French & Olson are all flyballers. Bedard is closer to neutral, but he's unlikely to return. Silva used to be a groundballer, but his career looks over.

They've got a stud groundballer prospect in the minors in Philippe Aumont, but they converted him to the bullpen this year.

Given the dimensions of Safeco and the outfield defense with Guitierrez, Ichiro and Langerhans/Saunders, going for flyball pitchers isn't a bad strategy, even if in general groundballers are preferable.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:13 AM   #3942
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

A's from 2008 compared to now:

*Current A's Player, Traded, Released or not re-signed

Pitchers

Joe Blanton
Andrew Brown
Santiago Casilla
Lenny DiNardo
Justin Duchscherer (hasn't pitched yet this season and may not)
Alan Embree
Dana Eveland (currently in the minors)
Keith Foulke
Rich Harden
Fernando Hernandez (Rule V pick returned to CWS)
Huston Street

Catchers

Rob Bowen
Kurt Suzuki

Infielders

Daric Barton (currently in the minors)
Bobby Crosby
Mark Ellis
Jack Hannahan
Dan Johnson
Donnie Murphy
Mike Sweeney

Outfielders

Emil Brown
Travis Buck (currently in the minors)
Chris Denorfia (currently in the minors)
Ryan Sweeney
Jack Cust

Of the 11 players still in the organization, 4 are currently in the minors and one has been on the DL since the season started. That leaves six guys from the Opening Day Roster a year ago that are still playing for the A's. Of those 6 players, one is a middle reliever, Casilla, and the other is now a bench player, Crosby. That leaves 4 regular players from last season...Suzuki, Ellis, Sweeney, and Cust. And, taking it one step further, Suzuki and Sweeney had 300 career at bats between the two of them before last season.

Oh, some of you might be wondering where the so-called "Franchise Player" is on the list. Well, Eric Chavez started both last season and this season on the DL and therefore isn't listed on either Active Roster.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:15 AM   #3943
Danny
Head Coach

Los Angeles Dodgers

Starters

Brad Penny

Chad Billingsley
Derek Lowe
Hiroki Kuroda
Estaban Loiza

Bullpen
Jonathan Broxton
Hong Chi Kuo

Takashi Saito
Joe Beimel

Ronnie Troncoso
Scott Proctor

Starter Lineup
Russel Martin
James Loney

Jeff Kent
Rafael Furcal
Blake Dewitt
Andre Ethier

Andruw Jones
Matt Kemp

Bench
Mark Sweeney
Delwyn Young
Chin Lung Hu
Juan Pierre

Gary Bennett
Angel Chavez

Overall, a lot continuity, with two key starting pitchers, three key bullpen members and 6/8 of the starting lineup still on the team.

Last edited by Danny : 08-04-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #3944
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Pitchers (11)
John Bale
Brian Bannister
Zack Greinke
Ron Mahay
Joakim Soria

Gil Meche (DL)
Yasuhiko Yabuta (AAA Omaha)
Jimmy Gobble (released, in White Sox org)
Brett Tomko (released, recently released by Yankees)
Leo Nunez
Ramon Ramirez

Catchers (3)
Miguel Olivo (suspended on Opening Day 2008 so some sites may not list him)
John Buck
Matt Tupman (released, in DBacks org)

Infielders (7)
Billy Butler
Alberto Callaspo
Alex Gordon
Tony Pena Jr.
(DFA'd to AAA Omaha)
Mark Grudzielanek (free agent, in Twins org)
Esteban German (released, in Rangers org)
Ross Gload

Outfielders (4)
David DeJesus
Jose Guillen
Mark Teahen
Joey Gathright (non-tendered, in Orioles org)

So, 14 still on the team (or DL) and another 2 still in the org. The funniest (in a sad clown sort of way) thing is that none of those released/free agent guys are in the majors ("if you couldn't cut it here, you don't have a job anywhere on a MLB roster").

SI

Old 08-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #3945
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The pirates are getting no hit thru 6
Old 08-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #3946
Swaggs
Coordinator

Just for jinx sake, Arizona's Yusmeiro Petit is working on a no-no (against the Pirates, if that counts) through 6 2/3.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #3947
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The pirates are getting no hit thru 7
Old 08-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #3948
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Jose Contreras lost all hell of control in the 3rd inning and got yanked.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #3949
Swaggs
Coordinator

Through the first commercial (Southwest.com), Pirates are getting no hit.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #3950
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Was the Upton outfield error close? Suprised the scorer at home wouldn't have given Cedano a double