Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2020, 10:15 AM   #3901
whomario
Pro Starter

Best i could find for an Overview in english:

Coronavirus destroys lungs. But doctors are finding its damage in kidneys, hearts and elsewhere. - SFGate

Coronavirus may cause lasting damage throughout body, doctors fear - The Jerusalem Post

More Bad News on the Long-Term Effects of the Coronavirus

It still could be overreaction simply because of the scope of scrutiny and it being so new of course and in a year it turns out people are largely back to normal. The lung is a damn resillient organ with lots of healing power.
Still, seems prudent to keep in mind when people take the "well, only old people die" approach to extremes.
Lots of shitty effects come from illnesses that don't kill you, too.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 04-19-2020 at 10:18 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:15 AM   #3902
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
From Molson's link:
There is a lot of truth in the above-displayed meme, for instance:

The majority of deaths during the 1918-19 pandemic occurred during the “second wave.”
More people died worldwide during this pandemic (50 to 100 million) than in all of World War I (about 20 million).
The end of WWI and subsequent military parades enabled a resurgence of influenza.
Generally speaking, there was an increase in influenza cases in places where social distancing rules were ignored.

However, the timeline presented in this meme is inaccurate and, contrary to what the text implies, the second wave of this pandemic was not fueled mainly by a lack of social distancing.

Yeah, as I mentioned, most sources blame the end of the war for cases due to parades, etc., but all data (limited) I found, while the second wave overlapped the end of the war, the second wave in most areas preceded it by a month.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:02 AM   #3903
miked
College Starter

We are studying this in my lab and yes, there is lots of damage outside the lungs.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:36 PM   #3904
whomario
Pro Starter

I have a question: Do your supermarkets have protective barriers for the cashiers ? (Like acryllic glas). Read this article and saw the picture without one, which seems crazy considering how cheap and easy to install it is (just hang it from the ceiling)...

Experts say it may be time for grocery stores to ban customers from coming inside - CNN
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 04-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #3905
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I have a question: Do your supermarkets have protective barriers for the cashiers ? (Like acryllic glas). Read this article and saw the picture without one, which seems crazy considering how cheap and easy to install it is (just hang it from the ceiling)...

Experts say it may be time for grocery stores to ban customers from coming inside - CNN

I think it is up to the market. Ours do here but I am in New Jersey.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #3906
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
The people screaming at the storm about economic issues are not looking at this from a big picture angle, they have one focus, money and little else.

Daryl Morey on Twitter: "… "
Old 04-19-2020, 05:14 PM   #3907
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The number of reported cases has really jumped in Ohio the last couple days. Now I'm worried again about the governor shutting my job down.

At least the percentage increase in deaths has slowed.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:18 PM   #3908
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post

Is China going to get pissed at the NBA and people take completely the wrong lesson from this Tweet, too?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:22 PM   #3909
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The virus has me thinking about trying Nutrisytem again, at least doing that would cut out the majority of my grocery shopping.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:26 PM   #3910
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

https://apnews.com/4f0a4ca93cc2fee94d386efb13db31a0
Headline: "‘Cartels are scrambling’: Virus snarls global drug trade"

Quote:
Virtually every illicit drug has been impacted, with supply chain disruptions at both the wholesale and retail level. Traffickers are stockpiling narcotics and cash along the border, and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration even reports a decrease in money laundering and online drug sales on the so-called dark web.

“The godfathers of the cartels are scrambling,” said Phil Jordan, a former director of the DEA’s El Paso Intelligence Center.

Cocaine prices are up 20 percent or more in some cities. Heroin has become harder to find in Denver and Chicago, while supplies of fentanyl are falling in Houston and Philadelphia. In Los Angeles, the price of methamphetamine has more than doubled in recent weeks to $1,800 per pound.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:40 PM   #3911
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
The number of reported cases has really jumped in Ohio the last couple days. Now I'm worried again about the governor shutting my job down.

Deaths are a lagging indicator by 2 to 3 weeks. Sadly if your cases jumped today, your death toll realistically will jump proportionally to that.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:44 PM   #3912
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
The virus has me thinking about trying Nutrisytem again, at least doing that would cut out the majority of my grocery shopping.

Will you try this Soylent thing and let me know Forbidden

FWIW, I'm gaining weight. Snacking all the fraking time.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-19-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:51 PM   #3913
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It is possible it could be a reporting issue though. I'd wait a few more days and see if it's a sustained increase before I really got worried.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:04 PM   #3914
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

Saw the same thing, there is an article about it spreading in a Marion County jail. I wonder if that is driving the numbers?

EDIT: Just read this morning, that is driving the spike in numbers.

Last edited by Warhammer : 04-20-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #3915
kingfc22
Head Coach

Keep on protesting KY and folks anywhere else for that matter, I'm sure COVID-19 will see your signs and leave your area.

https://www.kentucky.com/news/corona...242124556.html

Last edited by kingfc22 : 04-20-2020 at 12:28 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:49 PM   #3916
Galaril
Pro Starter

Well deaths are way down so far today so maybe we are starting to see the end of high death rate tunnel.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:35 PM   #3917
whomario
Pro Starter

Italy with less active cases than the day before for the first time.

Germany opened small businesses and people ignore that small finger and grab the whole hand from what i have seen. Plus media pushing stories about possible Summer vacation, Bundesliga might start soon with empty stadiums (but you just know there will be private viewing Parties)
Think we might be fucked without some major Breaks, people just utterly disapointingly unable to heed simple rules and limit themselves in their free time. If everybody was dilligent there, it would be much easier to allow/do more essential stuff like work and family meetings.

Last edited by whomario : 04-20-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #3918
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That's the fear I had with gradual reopening. People just going hogwild while if they were more cautious things would be ok.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #3919
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We have seen the runs on TP and baking goods. I predict the next one will be sunscreen.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #3920
PilotMan
Head Coach

And Kentucky is officially done with in person classes for the rest of this school year. Not surprised, but disappointed. I really never thought they would go back, but had hoped they'd get the chance.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:07 PM   #3921
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
And Kentucky is officially done with in person classes for the rest of this school year. Not surprised, but disappointed. I really never thought they would go back, but had hoped they'd get the chance.

I feel like our governor in NJ has been pretty proactive in his responses. It is really odd that they haven't called school for the year yet. I just wish they would get it over with at this point.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #3922
Edward64
Head Coach

In the school district my daughter is at they basically said a student can't get lower grade than what they had going into the pause. My daughter has all A's so she is effectively done with her senior year.

She has been accepted to her college of choice. Unknown how that will work out in Aug/Sep though.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #3923
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh God, our Governor (Georgia) is a moron. We are starting reopening on Friday, with gyms (YES, gyms!), salons, bowling alleys and then also restaurant and theaters with 'guidelines'. Our cases are rising daily... this is insane!
Old 04-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #3924
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If we reopen without gauging it to metrics and without a plan for testing and tracing, it really will have all been for nothing.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #3925
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
We have seen the runs on TP and baking goods. I predict the next one will be sunscreen.
Unlikely. We're living on the edge now, why fear skin cancer when COVID-19 is out there to kill you before the cancer can even spread?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:54 PM   #3926
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
bowling alleys

Bowling alleys??
Old 04-20-2020, 04:59 PM   #3927
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Apparently it's really important to open bowling alleys for some reason... I wonder if some bowling guy gave a big donation to Kemp.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #3928
cuervo72
Head Coach

I wouldn't imagine the (any) state would have more than like, four "bowling guys" at this point.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #3929
grdawg
Mascot

Quote:
Oh God, our Governor (Georgia) is a moron. We are starting reopening on Friday, with gyms (YES, gyms!), salons, bowling alleys and then also restaurant and theaters with 'guidelines'. Our cases are rising daily... this is insane!

I've been complaining about him for weeks. This won't change what I do, not going anywhere still. I know it sucks for everyone, I haven't really gone anywhere for 5 weeks, but if we just do this until the end of May, we probably could be in pretty good shape. Now we are going to open too early and have to do this again.
grdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #3930
miami_fan
Coordinator

So, why aren’t they opening up all their pro and college stadiums for games?

All the talk about playing sports without fans is mute, no?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:53 PM   #3931
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Our Governor(McMaster) is also a moron:

403 - Forbidden
Old 04-20-2020, 07:20 PM   #3932
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I am truly flabbergasted.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:32 PM   #3933
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Our Governor(McMaster) is also a moron:

403 - Forbidden
South Carolina's seems a lot saner... opening small retail businesses with restrictions on them, giving discretion to local municipalities to open/close beaches etc as they see fit, and still having police with the authority to disperse even groups as small as 3 people.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:40 PM   #3934
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
South Carolina's seems a lot saner... opening small retail businesses with restrictions on them, giving discretion to local municipalities to open/close beaches etc as they see fit, and still having police with the authority to disperse even groups as small as 3 people.

But if Mayor A opens his beach and Mayor B doesn't, won't the results be Mayor As beach is twice as crowded potentially creating a worse public health crisis?

I live on the Jersey shore, people who want to go to the beach will travel a fuw towns over, or farther even.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:44 PM   #3935
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I still don't think the Governors or Mayors are going to have that much say. This is still going to be a bottom up decision. Just don't see that many people sitting down at a busy restaurant even if they can.

My guess the decision on gyms has to do with memberships and someone lobbying hard. They don't like refunding money and now they can claim they're open for all the people who don't want to risk coming in and working out.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:45 PM   #3936
molson
General Manager

The chain theaters and gyms closed before they were ordered to, I wouldn't expect them to rush out and open as soon as they can in the handful of states where it's allowed. It would make more sense for the national chain theaters to do a coordinated launch. I don't if the gyms are more of an independent franchise thing, but I'd expect them to have national rules and timelines too.

Last edited by molson : 04-20-2020 at 07:46 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #3937
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
But if Mayor A opens his beach and Mayor B doesn't, won't the results be Mayor As beach is twice as crowded potentially creating a worse public health crisis?

I live on the Jersey shore, people who want to go to the beach will travel a fuw towns over, or farther even.
Myrtle Beach said they'd keep them closed, wouldn't surprise me if it broke down along those lines - places where people might come from out of the area to stay could keep them closed, but small towns open up for local residents. I could see it being an issue with Lake Wylie right across the border from Charlotte, and that highlighting how state borders aren't exactly the best way to do things, but with the cat out of the bag it's not the worst thing to have different states trying different approaches.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:26 PM   #3938
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Correct because its going to happen here in Myrtle, Myrtle Mayor said no to reopening, N. Myrtle said yes, still waiting to hear from others.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:02 PM   #3939
tarcone
Coordinator

These protesters that want to open the country up. I saw a report today and the woman was complaining she lost her job. My daughter just got a job at Wal-Mart. Yes, the government just gave you an extra $600 but dont bitch about it and instead of protesting, go apply for a job.

F-ing idiots. This country is far fro shit down

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:02 PM   #3940
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Well deaths are way down so far today so maybe we are starting to see the end of high death rate tunnel.

And if states are starting to reopen, in two weeks it'll explode again.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:22 PM   #3941
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Milwaukee has recorded 7 cases linked to in person voting.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:08 PM   #3942
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 04-20-2020, 10:13 PM   #3943
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So I have a friend who is a doctor and administrator at Emory, one of the largest hospital systems in Metro Atlanta (I think only Piedmont is larger?). He said their ICU beds are full. Opening the state up now is such a bad idea - how about waiting until ICU capacity isn't at max already?

That's not mentioning how South GA (Albany) is one of the big flash points in the county and hasn't slowed down.

Shouldn't the curve flatten even a little bit before you think of doing this?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2020, 10:16 PM   #3944
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
So I have a friend who is a doctor and administrator at Emory, one of the largest hospital systems in Metro Atlanta (I think only Piedmont is larger?). He said their ICU beds are full. Opening the state up now is such a bad idea - how about waiting until ICU capacity isn't at max already?

That's not mentioning how South GA (Albany) is one of the big flash points in the county and hasn't slowed down.

wow in metro atlanta?

I was thinking that the cities are the ones that are finally coming to that peak and MAYBE going down (if they were isolating) and the rural areas are this week coming up the hill of sickbursts.

yikes
Old 04-20-2020, 11:43 PM   #3945
grdawg
Mascot

Quote:

Then this makes even less sense to open up. I assumed that hospital and ICU rates were declining, but it’s not like we got any information from the governor about that like they are getting in New York daily.
grdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:24 AM   #3946
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

If you want to see what they did in Taiwan to crush the curve, I found this interesting reading:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-b8420170203e

amongst the things Taiwan did BEFORE the city of Wuhan shutdown

Quote:
Early and strict travel bans, updated every day.
They centralized the management of mask production, starting at 2.4 million per day (twice their need of 1.3 million at the time).
They set the price to avoid profiteering, initially at USD $0.50 per mask.
The penalty for price gouging for masks and other key items became 1–7 years in jail and a fine up to USD $167,000.
The spread of fake news could be fined with USD $100,000.
Proactive detection of cases: They tested all people who had previously had flu symptoms but tested negative for flu, finding some coronavirus patients.

during the pandemic?

Quote:
The official price of masks was eventually down to ~$0.20 by the end of February.

Eventually, they ramped up production to 10 million masks per day (for a population of 23 million) before the end of March. Masks were rationed and their export banned.

Travel and healthcare databases were connected, so healthcare professionals could know who was at a higher risk of being infected. The Taiwanese CDC could track what was happening on the field in real time.

It triaged travelers based on their risk, from free to enter the country with self-monitoring to mandated quarantines.

Quarantine support with food and encouragement.

Enforcement of the quarantine through people’s existing phone signals. If they don’t have a phone, the government provides them with one. An alert is sent to the authorities if the handset is turned off for more than 15 minutes.
Persons who were not compliant with home quarantine orders were turned over to law enforcement and tracked by police officers.

A couple was fined USD $10,000 for breaking the 14-day home quarantine rule.

Let's go through that next to last one. This was a first person account of someone who traveled to Taiwan during the pandemic.

Quote:
8:30am the next day, I was woken up by early morning call. It was from the local government council to confirm where I am, that I am who I am, and check my travel history and current health issues and symptoms.

14:30 Afternoon, another random call came from local council checking with me. “Standard random checking Mr. Chen. Local officer will do an initial home visit to your place at 15:00. You felt well?”

“I am fine, so you do random calls to ensure us stay home?” I asked.

“Yes, we do, 2–3 times per day. Please do not leave your address and take necessary precautions to protect your family. If you leave home, I am afraid the police will be on their way soon.”

“But how do you know people leave home? I was not GPS-tracked as I have not received any tracking mobile phone device to carry at the airport?” I raised the question.

“No. The mobile phone only will be given if you do not have one. Since you got your own phone, please make sure you have it on at all time for the next 14 days. If you lost your signal, please contact us by other means immediately otherwise it might trigger police attendance at your door step…..”.

“You mean I am tracked already…..? “

“Yes, you provided us your number and that was enough.”

A message was received later at 20:30, asking me to report back to an after hour number. I rang back and asked why as I did not breach any rule.

“You might have lost signal temporarily or did not make any movement for an extended period of time, so the system thought you might have left your phone at home and we can not risk you going out.” The after hour service officer told me. So their system can detect you’re idle if you don’t move much expected…

That is the reason that Taiwan sports were able to resume. Now, without getting political, would you see ANY of the things that Taiwan did working in the US?
Old 04-21-2020, 06:04 AM   #3947
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I talked to a Critical Care Nurse that works for the Atlanta VA today. He told me that normally they see about one death every month. They are currently seeing six a day. He said most of the staff have worked in war zone, but they are not prepared for this. They have called counselors in for support. Good thing our governor wants to open the state back up to make it worse.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:35 AM   #3948
Edward64
Head Coach

I need a haircut but will wait 2-3 weeks to see if cases continue to decrease and if hospitals/ICU/ventilators/healthcare workers are more freed up.

My problem with Kemp is there is no communication. In my line of work, we impact a lot of people with "change". So we tell people change is coming, we tell them what the change is, why the change is happening, how it will impact them, train them for the change, measure their acceptance of the change etc. and then update & mitigate as needed.

On Sun/Mon, Kemp says we are opening up this Fri and here minimal details. But there are no real details, no planning, no training or rules yet. If people could see there was a plan, I can see it being accepted and adhered to better.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #3949
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
wow in metro atlanta?

I was thinking that the cities are the ones that are finally coming to that peak and MAYBE going down (if they were isolating) and the rural areas are this week coming up the hill of sickbursts.

yikes

Oh, it's even worse.. the Governor like 4 days ago converted the Georgia World Congress Center into a makeshift hospital:

Coronavirus Updates: 200-Bed Surge Hospital Nears Opening At World Congress Center | 90.1 FM WABE

Which just started taking patients this weekend:

Georgia Has Started Treating Coronavirus Patients In Atlanta's Convention Center | 90.1 FM WABE

So you open a makeshift 200 bed hospital in the Convention Center and then a few days later talk about opening things up?! How does any of this make sense?!

And Atlanta started a bit later than the California cities and NYC. We are just starting to get into the peak, whereas Albany GA (for whatever reason) has been really bad well earlier than Atlanta.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-21-2020 at 09:34 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #3950
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It’s almost as if a governor who won a rigged election isn’t qualified.