Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #3901
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Brothers at War - 8/10

A documentary filmed by Jake Rademacher. Jake, the oldest of a family of seven, explores what the lives of his two service brothers are like over in Iraq. He follows his brother Issac's unit for a few weeks, and then later on another unit that trains Iraqi troops.

Really enjoyed this film. This is neither a pro or anti war film. It isn't about politics. Jake simply wants to share the experiences his brothers are having to better understand them. This isn't even really a war film, as there is very little actual battle going on. It is more a film about the grind of an American soldier and the effect it not only has on themselves but the people they are close to.

I would recommend this.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #3902
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I thought people liked COn Air. Never did see it myself. America's Sweetheart I kind of expected from him. He always was drifting towards romantic comedy albeit he was best playing a slacker in romantic comedies as opposed to someone respectable

Just proferring them up as paycheck movies.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #3903
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Clash of the Titans - 4.5/10

Advance screening.. woot! The movie was in 3D and to be honest, I thought it distracted from the action sequences. Visual effects, costumes, and set designs were pretty good! I haven't seen the 80's version and don't know much about greek mythology so the movie stands alone. I thought it was mediocre. I mean there's CLASH in the title, I expect to see some epic God/Monster ass kicking which there wasn't enough of. Sam Worthington had absolutely no stage presence, I could care less if his character lived or died. There was no chemistry in any of the scenes with anyone.

Edit - The more I think about this movie, the more I dislike it. There were these characters that were awful. They held some kind of eye and the acting was horrible, I felt embarrassed for them. Changed rating from 6 to 4.5... yeah, that bad.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 03-31-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:58 AM   #3904
Kodos
Resident Alien

Surely you enjoyed when they released ... THE KRAKEN!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 AM   #3905
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Yeah that was the best part!... not. It was like a giant water worm with sharp teeth. If it was supposed to look like an octopus they failed.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 03-31-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #3906
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post

Advance screening.. woot! The movie was in 3D and to be honest, I thought it distracted from the action sequences. Visual effects, costumes, and set designs were pretty good! I haven't seen the 80's version and don't know much about greek mythology so the movie stands alone. I thought it was mediocre. I mean there's CLASH in the title, I expect to see some epic God/Monster ass kicking which there wasn't enough of. Sam Worthington had absolutely no stage presence, I could care less if his character lived or died. There was no chemistry in any of the scenes with anyone.

Edit - The more I think about this movie, the more I dislike it. There were these characters that were awful. They held some kind of eye and the acting was horrible, I felt embarrassed for them. Changed rating from 6 to 4.5... yeah, that bad.

I hope your view of this movie ends up not being the same as mine. I can't remember a remake of a movie that I have been as excited to see as this one forever. To have it done poorly will be really tragic for me, as this is one of my favorite movies of all time.

One thing about the Kraken, while in most literature it was always kind of like a colossal squid type thing, in the original Clash of the Titans, the Kraken was never an octopus type creature, it was more of a humanoid type of creature with 4 arms or something like that. I haven't obviously seen it in the new movie, so not sure what you mean by a giant worm-type, but I would not at least expect it to be an octopus type creature at least.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #3907
chadritt
High School Varsity

If you are REALLY looking forward to it Ive heard you should see it 2D. apparently the 3D conversion process is just bad to the point of ruining the film, which doesnt surprise me at all for an action movie.

Last edited by chadritt : 04-01-2010 at 12:54 PM.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #3908
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

I haven't seen the 80's version...

You haven't missed a thing. Did this updated version of have a mechanical owl?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #3909
rowech
Pro Starter

Couples Retreat (6/10) -- Watchable. Vince Vaughn is funny as always. Didn't like the seriousness of Bateman's character and Favreau's character was completely unlikeable. Funny parts scattered throughout, the yoga instruction part is hilarious but just another movie that falls flat overall.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #3910
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I hope your view of this movie ends up not being the same as mine. I can't remember a remake of a movie that I have been as excited to see as this one forever. To have it done poorly will be really tragic for me, as this is one of my favorite movies of all time.

One thing about the Kraken, while in most literature it was always kind of like a colossal squid type thing, in the original Clash of the Titans, the Kraken was never an octopus type creature, it was more of a humanoid type of creature with 4 arms or something like that. I haven't obviously seen it in the new movie, so not sure what you mean by a giant worm-type, but I would not at least expect it to be an octopus type creature at least.

Definitely check out the 2D version like chad recommends. I don't know if the 3D wasn't done right, or if it doesn't work for action movies, but I had to take my glasses off every once in a while which ruined it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
You haven't missed a thing. Did this updated version of have a mechanical owl?

Hmm... I don't remember an owl at all.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #3911
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Couples Retreat (6/10) -- Watchable. Vince Vaughn is funny as always. Didn't like the seriousness of Bateman's character and Favreau's character was completely unlikeable. Funny parts scattered throughout, the yoga instruction part is hilarious but just another movie that falls flat overall.

We watched this recently. Big fan of Bell and Bateman, but this movie was just plain not very funny. 4 out of 10 for me.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #3912
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Hmm... I don't remember an owl at all.

No mechanical owl? Blasphemy!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #3913
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Definitely check out the 2D version like chad recommends. I don't know if the 3D wasn't done right, or if it doesn't work for action movies, but I had to take my glasses off every once in a while which ruined it for me.

I think its going to be a problem with all the movies where the 3d is done in post but particularly bad with non animated films and action movies. The conversion process isnt very clean compared to actually shooting 3d and you really need a different editing style for 3d as well. Titans was neither shot nor, as far as i know, cut as a 3d film before it was converted and apparently thats causing a lot of headaches in the theater. Im actually really interested in this aspect of it all since Im an editor and I think it could be what really holds 3d back.

Last edited by chadritt : 04-01-2010 at 03:00 PM.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #3914
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

World's Greatest Dad - 8.5/10

Good grief, this movie made me feel angry, then sad, then highly uncomfortable. Dark comedy about a dad (played by Robin Williams) who has a jerk of a son. Son dies in a freak accident and dad writes a suicide note to avoid embarrassment. Robin Williams is a hell of an actor. He plays the sympathetic role very well, I felt really bad for him and the way he was being treated by everyone.

It's on Netflix Watch Instantly.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 04-03-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #3915
rowech
Pro Starter

Law Abiding Citizen (8/10) -- Really enjoyed it. Little gross. Lot unbelievable but still a good movie.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #3916
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I started watching Punisher War Zone and after 15 minutes turned iut off and sai, my goodness, this sucks

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #3917
molson
General Manager

Men Who Stare At Goats (7/10)

This was off my radar completely when it was in the theaters. Very amusing premise, very likable movie, but actually too short, and maybe missing that "it" factor that makes a movie stay with you.

Last edited by molson : 04-04-2010 at 10:53 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #3918
Groundhog
Coordinator

Moon - 9/10

Well, this one flew under my radar. Caught it by accident and was very, very impressed. Sam Rockwell is basically a one-man show in this excellent piece of sci-fi that touches on some very interesting ground (without wanting to give away any spoilers).
Old 04-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #3919
KWhit
Coordinator

Yep. Moon is outstanding.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #3920
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Agreed. I had mentioned in the Oscars thread that i felt Rockwell deserved something.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:31 AM   #3921
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
World's Greatest Dad - 8.5/10

Good grief, this movie made me feel angry, then sad, then highly uncomfortable. Dark comedy about a dad (played by Robin Williams) who has a jerk of a son. Son dies in a freak accident and dad writes a suicide note to avoid embarrassment. Robin Williams is a hell of an actor. He plays the sympathetic role very well, I felt really bad for him and the way he was being treated by everyone.

It's on Netflix Watch Instantly.

I always liked Williams better in his dramatic roles than any of his recent comedic roles. Since his "funny" scenes always involve in screaming like a maniac then rolling out 15 penis jokes in a row.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #3922
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
No mechanical owl? Blasphemy!

There is a mechanical owl.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:05 AM   #3923
rowech
Pro Starter

The Men Who Stare at Goats (7/10) -- This movie won't be for everyone but it can definitely be liked. It's about a unique division of the military that looks more into the "mind" aspects of war. Bridges, McGregor, Clooney, and Spacey make the movie roll for sure. I liked all their performances for different reasons.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #3924
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
There is a mechanical owl.

there is? spoiler tag the scene cuz i dont remember one
Old 04-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #3925
Swaggs
Coordinator

No spoiler tag (so do not read further, if you have not seen it), but he briefly looks at the owl in the armory before they leave.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #3926
rowech
Pro Starter

Date Night (8/10) -- I'm not sure why the critics hate it so much. Does it go way past believable? Yes. That said, you're going to get some good laughts throughout and at times you'll let that gut laugh go. If you like Fey/Carrell, it's definitely worth seeing.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #3927
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
No spoiler tag (so do not read further, if you have not seen it), but he briefly looks at the owl in the armory before they leave.

My eyes must have been recovering from one of the bad 3D action sequences that I didn't notice it, my bad.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 04-10-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:19 AM   #3928
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Moon - 9/10

Well, this one flew under my radar. Caught it by accident and was very, very impressed. Sam Rockwell is basically a one-man show in this excellent piece of sci-fi that touches on some very interesting ground (without wanting to give away any spoilers).

I just watched "Moon" tonight and thought it was very well done. I figured out the "twist" pretty quickly but liked where they went with it.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:41 AM   #3929
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Date Night (8/10) -- I'm not sure why the critics hate it so much. Does it go way past believable? Yes. That said, you're going to get some good laughts throughout and at times you'll let that gut laugh go. If you like Fey/Carrell, it's definitely worth seeing.

Just got back and I really liked it also, seemed everyone left the movie theater happy.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:24 AM   #3930
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Date Night was fun. I generally liked it (the story, actors, etc.), and as noted above, had many funny scenes. Definitely worth checking out.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:40 AM   #3931
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I just watched "Moon" tonight and thought it was very well done. I figured out the "twist" pretty quickly but liked where they went with it.

Aye. I was a little bit "wtf" for about 5 minutes until it clicked, but yeah, like you say, they did well with it after that point.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:15 AM   #3932
Atocep
Coordinator

The Art of the Steal (8/10) - I don't know a damn thing about art and I'm not interested in it, but decided to watch this documentary because it sounded interesting. I didn't disappoint. If you want to see a story about how politicians can chip away at someone's will until it's completely void this is your documentary.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:44 AM   #3933
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
I think its going to be a problem with all the movies where the 3d is done in post but particularly bad with non animated films and action movies. The conversion process isnt very clean compared to actually shooting 3d and you really need a different editing style for 3d as well. Titans was neither shot nor, as far as i know, cut as a 3d film before it was converted and apparently thats causing a lot of headaches in the theater. Im actually really interested in this aspect of it all since Im an editor and I think it could be what really holds 3d back.
This is why I don't think 3D is going to last. There are going to be so many bad 3D movies comming out that were not actually shot in 3D that it is going to get a bad reputation and spoil it for the True 3D movies.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 AM   #3934
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Watching Beeswax. Sort of chatty and no real buildup. Just jumps into the story and goes. Dunno what to think. After finishing, it's just a mumblecore flick. Lots of dialogue and sort of an exercise in pedantry. But it's neat in a way because most of the actors aren't trained actors, so that's interesting.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-15-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:02 AM   #3935
korme
Go Reds

An Education (2009) - Had very few problems with it, though one was I thought the end was a bit rushed. Really enjoyed the tone of the movie, it worked well enough where the whole plot seemed believable and didn't come over as, well, creepy. Carey Mulligan was good, not great. After all the hype she got, I really expected more. She's just this year's Amy Adams, which is not a bad thing I suppose. - 7.5/10

Last edited by korme : 04-14-2010 at 01:02 AM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #3936
Groundhog
Coordinator

Sin City - 8/10
Watched it for the first time. Fun movie, very stylish. I think you could have fleshed any of the stories out into a full movie by itself that I'd watch, though the story about the female hooker city (forget the name) was the weakest IMO. Also, Hartnett's character seemed a bit tacked on and unrelated to the other stories. Maybe it made more sense to the folks who read the comics.

Kick-Ass - 9/10
I knew nothing about this movie except that it had the guy from Superbad in it, and a 12 year old girl that says "cunt". I expected it to be a parody comedy, but it's actually very graphic and, though pretty funny at times, quite serious at others (in an exaggerated, graphic kind of way). Surprisingly it's Nicolas Cage that steals the show, with his Adam West impersonation. Quality movie.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #3937
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Moon - 4/10

I don't know what went wrong here. I thought I'd like it. Netflix thought I'd like it. But I was bored to tears by it. I turned it off before it ended. I can't put my finger on what I didn't like, except that I didn't feel engaged. Maybe I'm just going through an anti-sci-fi phase, I can't honestly say that any sci-fi (including books) is catching my eye right now.

Edit to add: I figured out the twist fairly early, it just didn't interest me.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 04-17-2010 at 04:42 PM.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #3938
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Kick-Ass - 9/10
I knew nothing about this movie except that it had the guy from Superbad in it, and a 12 year old girl that says "cunt". I expected it to be a parody comedy, but it's actually very graphic and, though pretty funny at times, quite serious at others (in an exaggerated, graphic kind of way). Surprisingly it's Nicolas Cage that steals the show, with his Adam West impersonation. Quality movie.

Saw it today. Great movie and my wife liked it as well. This is a definite buy on Blu-Ray.

Spoiler

Last edited by Raiders Army : 04-17-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #3939
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Moon - 4/10

I don't know what went wrong here. I thought I'd like it. Netflix thought I'd like it. But I was bored to tears by it. I turned it off before it ended. I can't put my finger on what I didn't like, except that I didn't feel engaged. Maybe I'm just going through an anti-sci-fi phase, I can't honestly say that any sci-fi (including books) is catching my eye right now.

Edit to add: I figured out the twist fairly early, it just didn't interest me.

/tk

Just saw it as well, and I agree, and I think the problem was the two ****** just weren't interesting or sympathetic. Probably because the movie went out of its way to portray them as incomplete characters, or characters that just represent specific human characteristics. The Kevin Spacey robot was the most interesting character in the movie by far.

Did think the opening visuals and scientific setup of the movie were at least a bit compelling. Especially when you consider it wasn't a big budget movie.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #3940
Bad-example
College Starter

Moon - 5/10

Yeah, not much of a twist.

Spoiler

I found it fairly lame but YMMV.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #3941
rowech
Pro Starter

Four Christmases (5/10) -- Funny at parts but it felt like a wasted good setup. Two comedies in a row with Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau and both have fallen flat for me. (Couples Retreat)
Old 04-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #3942
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Kick Ass. Loved it without having read the comic, but I'm likely to buy the all in one edition of it just to see the differences between the two.

Nitpick #1
Spoiler

Nitpick #2
Spoiler

Last edited by Matthean : 04-18-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #3943
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

In America (2002) - 9/10

I unfortunately had never seen this movie before until I got it the other day from Netflix. I thought it was beautiful.. and powerful..

Samantha Morton was awesome. Sarah and Emma Bolger turn in some of the best child performances I have ever seen.

I had only one thing against it and that was the use of a specific character. Not the fact that he was in the movie, but more just how "heavy" he was. It almost felt out of place in the movie.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #3944
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

An Education

Oh my goodness. Carey Mulligan earned her Oscar nom, in my mind, with this one.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-30-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: she's no he, that's for sure.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #3945
Logan
Head Coach

In reference to The Informant!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
This is one of those movies where the trailer just had me jacked for. I thought it looked fucking brilliant.

I found the actual movie to be borderline unwatchable.

Perfect description, except for the inclusion of "borderline". What a complete disaster. I'm not sure how true the movie is to the real story, but here's my tip to screenwriters and those who greenlight these things: if a story is so intensely convoluted, don't even bother with it. I think I mentally checked out of it around the 45 minute mark.

I would give it a 3/10...2 points for Damon's performance, and 1 point for his mustache.

Couple weeks ago I caught Law Abiding Citizen. If I could give split ratings, I would go 9/10 for the first hour or so and a 4/10 for the remainder. I really, really enjoyed everything about Gerard Butler's acting and his character in that first segment (his courtroom performance was awesome), but the story really fell apart at the end (and not just because of the lack of realism). I think the movie would've been better served overall if they went the more formulaic route at the end without trying to do so much.

I'll settle at a 7/10 because I enjoyed the good much more than I hated the bad.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #3946
molson
General Manager

The problem with the Informant was that it really was advertised and branded as a comedy, an "inept guy working undercover" kind of story, when it was really a very complicated, corporate crime movie. There's a reason there's not a lot of movies about corporate crime. It's just too complicated a topic to translate well to the screen.

I admired how ambitious it was, so I'd rate it higher than others here. It did try to tell the real story without dumbing it down. There were also some funny moments if you could hang with the story, which I admit took me some DVD pauses and rewinds to do.

Last edited by molson : 04-19-2010 at 10:26 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #3947
Logan
Head Coach

Fair point molson.

But my head hurt.

Last edited by Logan : 04-19-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #3948
Bad-example
College Starter

Quantum of Solace - 6.5/10

Yeesh. With all the quick cuts during the action series they should have called it The Bond Ultimatum. Nearly gave me motion sickness. I know a lot of people like the series reboot but I can't say I am looking forward to the next film. The dogfight scene was embarrassingly bad.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #3949
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like you guys may save me some time on the Informant. We have it from Netflix and looks like it may not be the movie we were expecting. (Guess that is why Netflix thinks we will give it 2 stars...)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #3950
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Looks like you guys may save me some time on the Informant. We have it from Netflix and looks like it may not be the movie we were expecting. (Guess that is why Netflix thinks we will give it 2 stars...)

Funny that you said this. I've been traveling a bunch lately so have a few netflix movies sitting on my desk at home waiting for me when I finally get a chance to watch them. One of them is the Informant and now I'm suddenly wondering if I even want to waste the time on it

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote