Save 20% on Battlestation: Harbinger on Steam
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #3853
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
My Steam Review of Political Machine 2016:

The game meets a lot of basic functionalities to work as a fun casual diversion at times. The art is suitably fun and light-hearted. The game's mechanics are light as well, but they are more designed with a strategic game, rather than a more authentic political simulator. Indeed, the game's mechaicnes are more ofo a generic strategy one on the gameboard of a USA map rather than a poltical one.

Now havign said that, the game is still fine. I've owned and played every iteration of the game. I've never asked for my money back or anything. And this time, there is an addition of multiplayer for those interested.

But the game's engine lacks a lot of depth, and more importantly, very little change. The first version of the game had the same basic graphics, engine, concepts, and such. You spend your time colelcting various currencies you can use for purchasing things. Dollars and political capital can be spent for ads and endorsements as such.

But I'm going to leave the franchaise alone, barring major changes in the game of a deeper level. I don't need a new skin every few eyars with a new group of candidates that are currently in teh news.

Let me give you an example of one game mechanic that's simple, but could have been more. Endorsements:

In this game there are 11 endorsements. Ten are nromal, and one is a pseudo-endorsement to invest in your campaign structure that you can do later on after the ten are gone, so you won;t waste your points.

Five endorsements are related to each party - Republican and Democrat. If you have a Democrat candidate, then you have to spend double the capital to purchase a Republican affiliated endorsement, and vice versa. A simple game develops where you race your opponent to collect endorsements, and try to get them first. Simple mechanics result - you look at the map to figure out where the best endorsements will help you pull states, try to bring those in from your foe, and then hold serve on your own turf. But the concept is very simple, pure strategy. You could easily reskin the concept to anything else and it's have the same depth.

But you could flesh it out a lot more:

Take Jim Webb as an example. He's nnot a normal Democratic candidate. He's pro-gun, and he was an Under Secretery of Defense under Reagan for 3 years and Secretary of the Navy under him for another. However, in a debate, he stated that he was more "all lives matter" than "black lives matter". So you could give him teh Republication bonus to pull the gun lobby, but give him teh Republication penalty to pull the minority/black lobby.

And you could do this with others. Ben Carson could be easier to grab the black/minority endorsement, Rand Paul the civil rights one, and so forth. You could layer them in, and have more than just normal cost or double cost. Maybe it's 50% harder for a Rand Paul to get the Christian Confederation, or perhaps Bernie Sanders needs a 2.5 cost for pulling the US Chamber of Business rather than the normal penalty.

That would help.

And that's just one mechanic. You could similar flesh out the others. If this game had been really pushed between releases (And there's a lot of time between them, so that'd have been very likely) then you could have had a game that evolved with the times and was a real nice game today. But nope. It's the same game, but now with Donald Trump. Does it have 3rd parties or Independant folk? Nope. Does it have debate mechanics where you can try to go after your opponent live? Nope.

Hopefully you get the point. It's a quick game that you can pick up in a few minutes, win on your first go through, win one or twice more, and then put it down and finish with, "Is that all there is?"

Yes, that's all there is.

Is there a "campaign" mode? In one of the earlier modes, it was fun to make a candidate on both the R and D side and challenge a ladder of opponents. Haven't bought this game since but it was a fun game.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #3854
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I would recommend President Infinity over Political Machine if you want something with more meat to it. Enjoying trying to get my created Independent some kind of backing while watching the parties go at it during the primaries. Just wish the game was on Steam.

Edit: Autocorrect got me, should have said "wish" the game was on steam.

Last edited by EagleFan : 02-28-2016 at 09:46 AM.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:27 AM   #3855
Capital
High School Varsity

ok thanks for the advice on President Infinity...maybe I'll take a look.

For all those playing Darkest Dungeon, fun game and I recommend it. I do have a question for those playing it, I collect gems along the way but cannot seem to find a way to sell them. What am I missing? I could really use the gold for those gems. Seems like it should be obvious but clearly I'm missing something.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #3856
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I bought Don't Starve during the Christmas sale for like $5. Up until this weekend I have been putting off playing it and then yesterday I finally got into it and now I can't put it down.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:14 PM   #3857
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I used to love Power Politics back in the day. It was for the 92 election I think.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #3858
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
For all those playing Darkest Dungeon, fun game and I recommend it. I do have a question for those playing it, I collect gems along the way but cannot seem to find a way to sell them. What am I missing? I could really use the gold for those gems. Seems like it should be obvious but clearly I'm missing something.

I'm not playing it myself but my son has watched a ton of playthrough videos for it so I was curious.

Maybe they changed things since what I'm finding with Googling but it looks as though the gems are auto-sold at the end of the mission.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:18 PM   #3859
hollmt
High School Varsity

That is correct, Jon.

The gems are converted into the gold equivalent and that is added to your mission total at the end.

Also, Capital, it looks like your other question in regards to trinkets was answered in the Darkest Dungeon thread (and you may have meant trinkets in this thread also).

It is important to note that when you shift-click to sell the trinket, you will get a warning message on the first one asking if you want to sell it. Be aware though, that once you start that process (if you sell more than 1) it wont ask you again, so be careful. I think this happens each time you attempt to sell the trinkets, so the next time you try and sell it will ask if you are sure then any additional you sell will just assume you are sure.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:40 PM   #3860
Capital
High School Varsity

That's a good point about the trinkets - you have to be careful because there's an always option. If you press that, which is certainly fine for some of the trinkets, but you don't get another option.

You're right Jon...after I posted that I played another dungeon which I completed and found that it's autosold. It's just not easily seen as they are covered up in the summary by other loot.

Appreciate all of the quick comments.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:17 AM   #3861
Groundhog
Coordinator

With X-Com 2 finished, I picked up Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence yesterday. I love the old SNES version of this (still play it on emulator from time to time), and after a couple of hours I'm really enjoying this, too. The combat is actually pretty fun, although I do think I prefer the turn-based combat of the old SNES game.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:44 AM   #3862
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
With X-Com 2 finished, I picked up Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence yesterday. I love the old SNES version of this (still play it on emulator from time to time), and after a couple of hours I'm really enjoying this, too. The combat is actually pretty fun, although I do think I prefer the turn-based combat of the old SNES game.

oh man i played the shit out of that game on NES
Old 02-29-2016, 02:16 AM   #3863
thesloppy
Pro Starter

me too!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #3864
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...eady-own-.aspx

Glad to see Steam catch up with what gog.com already does.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:28 AM   #3865
PilotMan
Head Coach

Seriously, we need more Rocket League participation. I've been running with a few people I've met playing, but there's no reason other than time that we can't get together here more often. I'm totally hooked on this stupid game.

If you see me on and you want to play shoot me a line and I'd be happy to play with you. I'm not high level, but I am competitive most of the time. I'm going to post something in the RL group and the FOFC Steam group too.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:03 AM   #3866
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

same here. I need to run streams soon, so we'll get together and get shit done
Old 03-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #3867
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Got an extra steam key for KOTOR 1 and 2 if anyone doesn't have it and is interested. Message me.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #3868
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I tried to do that RL get-together about a month ago and I didn't hear from anyone lol. I know a couple of days isn't a lot of notice. I'm just not sure we have the amount of interested people to do anything semi-regularly.
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #3869
MikeVic
Head Coach

I like to plat RL on PC once in awhile, and would be up for scheduled FOFC matches. Like, if we were to say let's shoot for Sunday at 1pm who could make it then? Or something like that. As long as I know in advance and plan around it a bit.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #3870
chinaski
College Prospect

I have RL as well, but yet to play it. Count me in!
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #3871
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Works for me.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #3872
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh, it's more UPlay then steam, but I need to get a multiplayer crew together to check out the Division for a review. Anyone else pick it up on PC?
Old 03-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #3873
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Oh, it's more UPlay then steam, but I need to get a multiplayer crew together to check out the Division for a review. Anyone else pick it up on PC?

I picked it up and will probably be playing tonight. I think my UPlay account name is KingOf7.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #3874
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I still play a bunch of Rocket League.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:54 PM   #3875
PilotMan
Head Coach

We don't even need scheduled Rocket League matches. All you need is 1 or 2 other people to play and run some double or triples matches. I've been using Curse and it all seems to work pretty good.

If we were able to get 4-6 people together we'd just run some private matches. It's all up to what sounds fun for everyone.

Like Steam?

Old 03-10-2016, 07:44 AM   #3876
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe I stayed up late last night playing Stardew Valley. Please don't flame me.. LOL!!!! I had to make sure my plants were watered and spent the day fishing.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-10-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #3877
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I can't believe I stayed up late last night playing Stardew Valley. Please don't flame me.. LOL!!!! I had to make sure my plants were watered and spent the day fishing.

Stardew Valley looks really good, I need to pick it up at some point. There's just too many good games out already this year it's hard to get to them all.

It is great to see how well it's selling. After "four years of self imposed cruch" by the game's dev it's sold nearly 500k copies in around 2 weeks.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-11-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #3878
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Stardew Valley looks really good, I need to pick it up at some point. There's just too many good games out already this year it's hard to get to them all.

It is great to see how well it's selling. After "four years of self imposed cruch" by the game's dev it's sold nearly 500k copies in around 2 weeks.

I have a TON of games too.. but this one is just so relaxing to play, no stress whatsoever. Of course you have things the game wants you to do.. but you don't have to do any of it. You play it your way and it's just so well done.

The best days are when it rains since you don't have to water your plants and can go around town or hit a dungeon or see if Hailey wants to date you yet. (although I suspect she's high maintenance so I might have to pick another single lady)

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-11-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #3879
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
I have a TON of games too.. but this one is just so relaxing to play, no stress whatsoever. )
That's why I bought it.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #3880
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
The best days are when it rains since you don't have to water your plants and can go around town or hit a dungeon or see if Hailey wants to date you yet. (although I suspect she's high maintenance so I might have to pick another single lady)

From what I've seen watching people play on Twitch Leah is best girl.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #3881
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
From what I've seen watching people play on Twitch Leah is best girl.

I'm getting that vibe..
Old 03-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #3882
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Stardew is well worth the 15 bucks. It's the perfect stress reliever. It's just pure fun.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:13 PM   #3883
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post
Stardew is well worth the 15 bucks. It's the perfect stress reliever. It's just pure fun.

So is this game basically Harvest Moon or what?
Old 03-11-2016, 11:25 PM   #3884
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So is this game basically Harvest Moon or what?

It's the evolution of Harvest Moon and a lot of people are saying it's an overall better game.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #3885
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
If a medieval/fantasy turn-based squad-combat RPG with a Mount and Blade-seque world map sounds like your cup of tea, I heartily recommend Battle Brothers. It feels pretty complete (if a little lacking in content) even as an early access - very few bugs. Insanely high difficulty level, but i'm beginning to learn how to keep my guys alive more often than not. Well, except those darn new recruits, may they frequently rest in pieces...

They had a huge update.. so I just bought it for 20% off and about to dig into it.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #3886
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's on my list, but I'm waiting for it to come down in the $10 before I pull the trigger on it.

Like Steam?

Old 03-12-2016, 04:56 PM   #3887
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
They had a huge update.. so I just bought it for 20% off and about to dig into it.
Why do I click this thread?
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #3888
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
Why do I click this thread?

HAHA.. I know, right? Steam is killing me.. like I don't have enough games and DLC for those said games.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #3889
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post

Damn you...
Old 03-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #3890
mckerney
Coordinator

The first trailer is out for Zero Time Dilemma, along with news that the game will release on Steam. The previous 2 Zero Escape games, 9 Persons, 9 Hours, 9 Doors and Virtue's Last Reward could be coming to PC as well.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:20 AM   #3891
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Anyone tried out Polaris Sector from Matrix games? This is a 4X space strategy game that looks pretty cool. Not having a whole lot of experience in these games I figured I would see if anyone else has taken the plunge.

Save 10% on Polaris Sector on Steam
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:40 PM   #3892
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Anyone tried out Polaris Sector from Matrix games? This is a 4X space strategy game that looks pretty cool. Not having a whole lot of experience in these games I figured I would see if anyone else has taken the plunge.

Save 10% on Polaris Sector on Steam

I signed up for Beta a long time ago.. never got an invite though and there is so much coming or has come out via EA, it's something I intended to get on a bigger sale at some point. I do think the tech tree is rather confusing though.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:30 PM   #3893
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

How about a recommendation for a great Space 4x game that will not require an advanced degree to learn and play?
Old 03-24-2016, 09:58 PM   #3894
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
How about a recommendation for a great Space 4x game that will not require an advanced degree to learn and play?

Stellaris
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #3895
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The new Master of Orion (currently in EA)
Old 03-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #3896
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Is the collectors edition of Master of Orio include the early access?
Old 03-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #3897
spleen1015
Coordinator

Yeah. You get the new one and The original, MMO2 & MOO3.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:14 PM   #3898
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Looking over the review of the new one and it is not getting very much love. Might have to play Galactic Civilizations 2 which I just realized I already have on Steam and see if it keeps my interest.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #3899
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Started playing EA game called Wolcen Lords of Mayhem, it's a ARPG similar to Diablo and very early in beta. Shaping up nicely though.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #3900
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Good deal this weekend on Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition. Picked up the collector's edition which actually gives you two copies so I was able to gift one copy to my daughter. That was cheaper than the original price of the standard edition.