Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-10-2010, 04:17 AM   #3851
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Hot Tub Time Machine - 8.5/10

Very funny movie. Yes, the plot is retarded. It's supposed to be. Rob Corddry is amazing.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #3852
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Big Fan - 6.5/10

Dark comedy about a New York Giant's fan that gets punched in the face by his favorite player. It's a bit slow but there's a lot of uncomfortable moments which I really like in comedies. When he calls the radio station it reminded me a lot of a clone calling The Jim Rome Show talking smack. I think if you're a NY Giants fan, you'd probably like this movie. The guy is a pretty hardcore fan.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 03-10-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:35 AM   #3853
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Alice in Wonderland - 8/10: A highly enjoyable movie about Alice going back into Wonderland 10 years later and playing an integral role in war between the red and white queens. I've always liked Tim Burton's vision and it shines in this movie, which is utterly beautiful (and seeing it in 3D was awesome). The CGI was top notch, the story incredibly entertaining and funny, and the acting amazing. Depp is great as the Mad Hatter and Carter is also very good as the Red Queen.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:26 AM   #3854
rowech
Pro Starter

Up in the Air (5/10) -- Don't get what the fuss is about. Good movie? Probably to some but not to me. I didn't turn it off but I was certainly bored by it.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #3855
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Alice in Wonderland - 8/10: A highly enjoyable movie about Alice going back into Wonderland 10 years later and playing an integral role in war between the red and white queens. I've always liked Tim Burton's vision and it shines in this movie, which is utterly beautiful (and seeing it in 3D was awesome). The CGI was top notch, the story incredibly entertaining and funny, and the acting amazing. Depp is great as the Mad Hatter and Carter is also very good as the Red Queen.

I wasn't quite as high on the movie as you. This one was a rare movie for me that I actually thought the story outshined the characters. I didn't find the special effects or 3D part of the film to be anything extraordinary, but perhaps I was comparing it to the other 3d movie I had seen recently (Avatar) which might not be fair.

I'm also a huge Johnny Depp fan, but in this movie didn't really care for his character or his acting of the character, or something about him in that role wasn't as good as I expected. I also didn't like the White Queen's acting at all, and only the Red Queen was ok for me.

The Story however was great, I really enjoyed the plot and the movie itself, which is something very different than most movies that are all effects/acting and very little plot.

Either way, I thought it was a good movie and I enjoyed it.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #3856
NewIdentity
High School JV

Green Zone 10/10

Probably the best movie I have seen in a very long time. I went in thinking it was going to be another Bourne sequel movie, and the story blew me away.

Being a person that hates the hand held camera thing, this movie was so good that I didn't hate it. And, that is saying a lot about how much I enjoyed this picture.

BTW... If anyone knows what is up with the "Graininess" of some of the scenes please let me know. One scene would be perfectly clear and then the a second later it would look like TV footage.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 03-14-2010 at 09:18 PM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #3857
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Good Hair - 8.5/10

Chris Rock's documentary about African American hair. They cover weaves, hot combs, and relaxers, among other things. He asks some tough, thought provoking questions to Al Sharpton, Raven Symone, Ice T, and a bunch of other celebrities. Informative and hysterical. He also covers a hair cutting competition in Atlanta, GA.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #3858
DataKing
Pro Rookie

The Book of Eli (9 / 10): Finally got out to see this one before it disappears from theaters, and boy am I glad I did. I figured with Washington and Oldman in it I would enjoy it, but I was still very impressed. Those two were their usual brilliant selves, and the setting/scenery was just about perfect. I'm a big fan of post-apocalyptic settings, and this one really does a good job of bringing that setting to life. Some of the shots felt like they were right out of Fallout 3 (a good thing IMO). The plot itself was quite good too, with some good surprises along the way. At one point I was sure it was going to take the stereotypical action movie route, and I was surprised to find the story go in exactly the opposite direction. The camera work was excellent too, and the way some of the fight scenes were shot was quite different. Overall a very enjoyable experience, well worth my $10.

The Hangover (8 / 10): Got this one via Netflix finally (took forever to get to the top of the waiting list), and I quite enjoyed it. Sure, it was all very far-fetched, but there was some serious comedy gold in here. And not just the stuff everyone saw in the trailers either. The "tiger song" in particular tickled my funny bone, more than just about anything else in here. Definitely plenty of laughs to be had, the funniest thing I've seen since Superbad.

Bullitt (7 / 10): I've been on a little bit of a car-chase movie kick lately, so when I saw Bullitt available via Netflix Instant I couldn't pass it up. While the chase-scene with McQueen's Fastback Mustang was definitely the highlight of the film for me (love the sound of those old V8's exhaling on a downshift), the rest of the movie was pretty good too. McQueen was his usual cool-as-ice self.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:37 AM   #3859
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Precious (7/10) - Good movie about difficult subject matter. Mo'Nique was simply phenomenal in her role. I will probably never watch it again, but I'm glad that I did watch it.

PS - Why in the blue hell hasn't Paula Patton been in more movies? She's gorgeous.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 03-16-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #3860
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
PS - Why in the blue hell hasn't Paula Patton been in more movies? She's gorgeous.

I had to go see if I knew her in IMDB, and I see she's the girl in Deja Vu, the Denzel flick a few years ago. Yeah, she is pretty awesome, surprised she hasn't done more.

Had the same reaction yesterday after coming back from She's Outta My League and seeing that Alice Eve has been in surprisingly few productions as well.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #3861
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah. And more than just being beautiful, she plays a pretty good role in Precious as well. Nothing mind-blowing, but she's quite solid.

I'll have to go check out Deja Vu, haven't seen it yet.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #3862
Groundhog
Coordinator

Stan Helsing - 1.5/10
This was exactly as bad as any sane person could have expected. For some mysterious reason my flatmate thought it would be worth watching and hired it out. Beer was involved. I don't think I've ever laughed LESS at a "comedy" than I did with this dog of a film. Gets an extra .5 marks because they two main chicks are fairly attractive and for a few seconds here and there made me stop concentrating on the comedic train wreck that was the rest of the movie.

Adventureland - 6.5/10
Not a bad movie at all, and actually pretty damn good at times. It's just that I've seen this exact movie so many times over the past 5 years or so. If this had come out in 2000 it would've been edgy and new, instead it's just familiar.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #3863
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Alice In Wonderland (9/10) - - Expected nothing of this film. The last few Burton films have ended in dreadful disappointment for me. Really really liked this however. Good writing, good plot. Really funny too. Stayed true to the characters and overall weirdness. The thing I most liked were the fact that of all the movies and tv shows and animated movies of Alice in Wonderland, this is the ONLY version where I've absolutely loved the Cheshire Cat and White Rabbit. Stephen Fry and Michael Sheen were just awesome choices and the animation for them superb.

Regarding Depp, I sometimes think he is coming across as too desperate in some of his recent films, this one included. He kind of overthinks things here. A quote from him is he"tried to find a grounding to the character, something that you feel, as opposed to just being mad. In a lot of versions it's a very one-note kind of character and you know his goal was to try and bring out a human side to the strangeness of the character." True, but he may have again gone too far. About his hair: The orange hair is an allusion to the mercury poisoning suffered by many hatters who used mercury to cure felt. According to Depp: "I think he was poisoned, very, very poisoned, and it was coming out through his hair, through his fingernails and eyes."
Interested sure but during the movie I don't know that and really don't care.

Of the movie itself, Burton said "It was always a girl wandering around from one crazy character to another, and I never really felt any real emotional connection." I do agree and am glad that they gave us more than just the original book which we all know. And yet all the themes from the original are still there.

Spoiler

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 03-21-2010 at 06:57 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #3864
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

so nice ya say it twice!
Old 03-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #3865
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

oops! poop!
Old 03-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #3866
rowech
Pro Starter

Big Fan (1/10) -- Horrible. If you want to see a movie about being a fan, watch the British version of Fever Pitch.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #3867
BYU 14
Coordinator

Law Abiding Citizen (8.5/10) - Finally rented this one. One of those rare movies where you root for the "bad guy" to win. Good acting and though the plot is one of those "WTF that could never happen" plots, I still found it fairly unique plot, with some nice early twists. Regardless of content I like a Movie that keeps me watching and this qualifies.

Heading out to see Shutter Island after dinner and looking forward to it.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #3868
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Law Abiding Citizen (8.5/10) - Finally rented this one. One of those rare movies where you root for the "bad guy" to win. Good acting and though the plot is one of those "WTF that could never happen" plots, I still found it fairly unique plot, with some nice early twists. Regardless of content I like a Movie that keeps me watching and this qualifies.

Heading out to see Shutter Island after dinner and looking forward to it.

How "gory/graphic" is Citizen? I just put it on Netflix after listening to my students constantly talk about it.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #3869
Swaggs
Coordinator

2012 (3/10) - I didn't figure this would be great, but I really love natural disaster + survival books and movies, so I gave it a shot. A little too much cheese for my taste -- for example, outrunning the same cloud of volcanic gas first in an RV, then on foot to get to the airplane, and then in the airplane (all in one sequence!). I usually love Cusack, but I'm guessing this role was all about the payday for him. Anyway, pretty good effects and a cool concept for saving humanity, but it should have been better. I'm guessing the effects in the theater, as opposed to my television, might improve the experience a little better.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #3870
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
How "gory/graphic" is Citizen? I just put it on Netflix after listening to my students constantly talk about it.

It has some gore early in the movie that is a little graphic, but most after that is "implied" gore, so you really don't see the end result of things that happen as the movie goes on.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #3871
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Slumdog Millionaire (11/10) - Okay sorry for the "cutesy" scoring but one of the best and original movies I've seen in awhile. I'd say Boyle is right up there in movie-making intensity with Tarentino and Scorsese.
Such a good movie and 100% deserving of the Best Picture Oscar and GOlden Globe that it won. Also nice to see a movie about a culture that we don't really get to see the real story. Main character is awesome.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:13 AM   #3872
NewIdentity
High School JV

Old Dogs 8/10

I wish I had taken my parents to see this movie when it was at the theaters, but I was convinced by all the negative reviews to avoid the movie.

This may not be the best movie, but the "Pill scene" is one of the funniest 20 minutes in a movie I have seen in many years. I couldn't help but be reminded of all the pills my parents and grandparents take on a daily basis. I had to pause the movie because I was laughing so hard; great stuff.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 03-23-2010 at 03:16 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:29 AM   #3873
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

How To Train Your Dragon (7/10) - Really expected an average bit of animation here but I kinda liked it. There were a few predictable spots but all in all it held up. Dreamworks is 2 in a row for me liking their films (Kung Fu Panda was their last good one but I liked that a little better). Still this has some great animation and good moments. Pity tho I didn't get to see it in 3D. I could tell where that would have affected some of the cooler flying shots.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:18 AM   #3874
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Outsourced 7/10 - Solid comedy with a turn toward romance thrown in toward the end - A guy has his job outsourced to India and has to go train his replacement, comedy ensues as he tries to adjust to life in India and the major differences between there and here. It starts relatively slow, and for a while its hard to understand what some of the characters are saying, but then it settles in and delivers a solid result, which was very satisfying since I watched it solely based on a few random reviews I had read. Pretty unique and overall very well made, IMO.

The Warriors (1978) - 10/10 - The "cult classic" was thoroughly enjoyable for its outlandishness (The Baseball Furies, really?) but I loved it, sort of like a post apocalyptic movie that was not post apocalyptic at all. It was loosely based on events that occurred around 400 BC regarding an army of mercenaries escaping hostile territory to the Black Sea, but set in New York and in the 70's using street gangs, along with all the hairdos that accompanied the era.. Quality flick.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #3875
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Outsourced 7/10 - Solid comedy with a turn toward romance thrown in toward the end - A guy has his job outsourced to India and has to go train his replacement, comedy ensues as he tries to adjust to life in India and the major differences between there and here. It starts relatively slow, and for a while its hard to understand what some of the characters are saying, but then it settles in and delivers a solid result, which was very satisfying since I watched it solely based on a few random reviews I had read. Pretty unique and overall very well made, IMO.

I watched this I think about 6 months ago when it came up as a Netflix recommendation for "viewers in your zip code." I think there must be a lot of people watching Indian and Bollywood around here, and lots with small children because most of what's recommended by zip code is Indian movies and Wubsy (spelling?).

Anyway, I agree with JR's analysis of Outsourced. I quite liked it, and would recommend it to others. I think it's on Netflix streaming.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:49 AM   #3876
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Watched a movie on Netflix called Shades of Ray. Indie flick for better or worse, but...surprisingly well acted and full of depth. Worth queuing up.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #3877
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Anyone going to see Hot Tub Time Machine? I really want to see an honest review of it because I am admittedly intrigued.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #3878
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Anyone going to see Hot Tub Time Machine? I really want to see an honest review of it because I am admittedly intrigued.

No promises yet, but I am probably going to go see it tonight.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #3879
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

It's a 64 on metacritic, generally positive reviews (and that's from stuffy reviewers).
Old 03-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #3880
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Hot Tub Time Machine - 7/10

It wasn't great, but it was entertaining enough. Some of the jokes were pretty low-brow/disgusting, but all in all, I had a good time.

/tk
Old 03-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #3881
JediKooter
Coordinator

Hot Tub Time Machine - Laughed my ass off. It succeeded in my really only one true requirement for a movie, entertain me and it did. I laughed more at this movie than I did The Hangover, but, it's probably because I could relate to all the 80's references more than trying to get Mike Tyson's tiger back to him.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:29 AM   #3882
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Hot Tub Time Machine - Laughed my ass off. It succeeded in my really only one true requirement for a movie, entertain me and it did. I laughed more at this movie than I did The Hangover, but, it's probably because I could relate to all the 80's references more than trying to get Mike Tyson's tiger back to him.

Well, I, too, remember the 80s quite well, but my score is more along the line of terpkristin's.

Definitely had some funny moments, and I was entertained. But I did not think it was as good as The Hangover. Just a decent gross out flick.

Keep in mind, as a gross out film, it's probably on or about the same level for that as Old School, and I have also not liked that as much as most others have (and that's from someone who was in a fraternity in college). I would rate Old School and HTTM about the same for me personally.

Spoiler

Old 03-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #3883
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What do you mean by "gross out?" CR
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #3884
rowech
Pro Starter

Rear Window (8/10) -- I like it better than Vertigo and The Birds but not as much as North by Northwest, Psycho, or Suspicion. It never ceases to amaze me how good Hitchcok was at creating suspense from the most mundane things.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #3885
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Low brow, "disgusting", physical comedy and that sorta thing.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #3886
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Some of the jokes were really...physical comedy/gross-out comedy. There was at least one puke joke (where someone pukes on something/someone, violently), blood jokes (where someone/something gets stabbed, maimed, or otherwise bloody), and other jokes that made me and the other girls I went out with to see this movie say "awww, gross" and kind of turn our heads.

I imagine that the ONE GUY friend we brought along was amused by our reactions.

/tk
Old 03-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #3887
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Well, I, too, remember the 80s quite well, but my score is more along the line of terpkristin's.

Definitely had some funny moments, and I was entertained. But I did not think it was as good as The Hangover. Just a decent gross out flick.

Keep in mind, as a gross out film, it's probably on or about the same level for that as Old School, and I have also not liked that as much as most others have (and that's from someone who was in a fraternity in college). I would rate Old School and HTTM about the same for me personally.

Spoiler

I think the gross out stuff was no worse than an episode of South Park. I like that they didn't try to make it too clever or with stupid MTV camera shots. I'd rate it above Old School in my opinion. Old School isn't bad, but, not as many funny moments as in Hot Tub Time Machine.

I definitely agree with what's in your spoiler.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #3888
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Adam - 7/10

Adam has asperger's syndrome. A girl moves in to a neighboring apartment. The movie explore's their relationship from neighbor to potential love.

It was a very touching movie. I don't know too well how accurate Adam's asperger's was to the real life syndrome but the social ackwardness and lonely lifestyle showed the how big of a battle it is for a person with Asperger's to live a normal life. It made me think about things that made me almost feel ashamed of myself. The question I felt being asked was, "Is Adam (asperger's) able to maintain a relationship?"

There were times I felt bad for Beth. I felt that she was not getting the emotional support that she needed from a boyfriend. She was cutting herself off, and driving herself to lonliness, and at a time in her life when she needed the support. Was Adam able to understand her, would he understand what she needed? He could be coached, sure, but would he be able to grasp why he was doing it.

If I were Beth, I could not do it. A friendship with Adam, yes, definitely. He is a very sweet guy. A romantic relationship, I just did not get a sense that it could work.

Only problem I had with the film was that I did not feel I got to know Beth well enough. I didn't really feel connected to her. I also do not know if I felt the side-story with her parents was really done well. I don't know if it was really necessary, I feel that part could have been cut out and more time spent on their relationship, and making it much deeper.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #3889
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

The Dish - 9/10

Movie about what was originally intended to be a backup groundstation for the Apollo 11 moon landing, they ended up being one of 2 primes, Parkes. They got some of the math wrong. But, otherwise, a great flick. I wonder how many of my colleagues got into this industry because of the lunar landing, especially those folks of Optus down under. Nerd movie for sure, but really a good flick.

/tk
Old 03-28-2010, 02:41 AM   #3890
Groundhog
Coordinator

District 9 - 6/10

FINALLY caught this. Sheesh. About as subtle as a sledgehammer, and I mean that in the worst possible way. I'm surprised it didn't have Star Wars-esque scrolling text at the beginning of the movie that said:

"Psssst. The "prawns" in the movie you are supposed to see represent black people. This is also why we chose South Africa as the setting, because people there are racist also! With that in mind, prepare for ironic scenes of black people telling prawns to go home! Your mind will be blown!"

Enjoyable enough movie once it gets going though, but the scenes where it tries to force you to care about the characters is where it falls flat* because, again, it's so damn heavy-handed.

Spoiler
Old 03-28-2010, 03:10 AM   #3891
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

I have NO IDEA what is up with John Cusack? The guy used to make really thoughtful films with great performances. This year he does a hollywood action disaster film and a grossout sex comedy. Midlife crisis maybe? Or maybe big paychecks. It's just so unlike him. Why John why???
Old 03-29-2010, 06:02 AM   #3892
rowech
Pro Starter

The Informant (5/10) -- As we continue watching movies we didn't go to the theater for, I continue to be happy that we didn't watch these movies when they came out. Matt Damon's little ramblings are very funny, the movie's plot is good enough but it just fell flat to me. I think part of it was that the movie was in the middle of being a comedy and a drama. I always feel like a movie should choose one or the other or it better be a really darn good movie to pull of both.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:01 AM   #3893
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I have NO IDEA what is up with John Cusack? The guy used to make really thoughtful films with great performances. This year he does a hollywood action disaster film and a grossout sex comedy. Midlife crisis maybe? Or maybe big paychecks. It's just so unlike him. Why John why???

You must have missed Con Air and America's Sweethearts.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #3894
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
The Informant (5/10) -- As we continue watching movies we didn't go to the theater for, I continue to be happy that we didn't watch these movies when they came out. Matt Damon's little ramblings are very funny, the movie's plot is good enough but it just fell flat to me. I think part of it was that the movie was in the middle of being a comedy and a drama. I always feel like a movie should choose one or the other or it better be a really darn good movie to pull of both.

This is one of those movies where the trailer just had me jacked for. I thought it looked fucking brilliant.

I found the actual movie to be borderline unwatchable.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #3895
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Saw The Informant! on Saturday night too. Agree that Damon's performance was very good, but the movie itself didn't do much for me either. 4/10

Watched Short Circuit last night because I hadn't seen it in a long time. Didn't realize how much Ally Sheedy's character falls in love with the robot in the early going. A bit creeptastic. But other than that, I also forgot how amusingly ridiculous it is. I'm scared to watch The Goonies as an adult, for fear I might discover something I never noticed about it as a kid.

Umm...oh, saw Up In The Air a few weeks ago too. Enjoyed it a great deal. Thought the women actresses did a hell of a job holding the screen with Clooney, which is no easy feat. Maybe not worth all of the hoopla, but still a solid film. 7/10
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #3896
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Pandorum - 6.5/10

Crew members wake up and have no knowledge about why they're on a spaceship or what their missions are. It's no Event Horizon, but I was entertained.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #3897
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

The Dish - 8/10

A story about Parkes Observatory and how it was used to support the Apollo 11 mission. I'm a nerd. I love this kind of thing. They had some of the math right on the chalkboard when they were trying to re-peak the antenna. All in all, my kind of movie.

/tk
Old 03-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #3898
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

dola,

Just realized I never rated The Informant. I pretty much agree with what everyone said, Matt Damon was awesome (of course... when isn't he?). But the movie dragged for me. I give it a 6.5/10
Old 03-30-2010, 01:46 AM   #3899
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Mother (7/10)

Pretty good thriller from South Korean filmmaker Bong joon-ho about a very odd woman whose mentally handicapped son is framed for murder, and she tries to find the real killer. Good suspense sequences and a terrific lead performance overcome some lazy screenwriting towards the end when they randomly turn one of the characters into Jack Bauer.

Chloe (5/10)

Try to imagine one of those late night Cinemax films with a really good cast and that's pretty much what you have here. Chloe is an erotic thriller with Julianne Moore as a doctor who suspects her husband (Liam Neeson) of cheating and thus pays a prostitute named Chloe (played by Amanda Seyfreid) to find out by tempting him. It gets the erotic part right (see spoiler below), but is not thrilling at all because almost every moment is predictable and the ending is stupid.

Spoiler

Hot Tub Time Machine (5/10)

Wasted opportunity here. Premise is amusing and I like the nostalgic casting of Crispin Glover (not to mention Cusack himself), but it felt like they just ran out of jokes and instead decided to throw in as much raunchy humor as possible, most of which was not funny at all. Vomiting on a squirrel? Really?. There were some funny moments (loved the running gag with Glover's arm), so it wasn't a total waste.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-30-2010 at 03:04 AM.
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:07 AM   #3900
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
You must have missed Con Air and America's Sweethearts.

I thought people liked COn Air. Never did see it myself. America's Sweetheart I kind of expected from him. He always was drifting towards romantic comedy albeit he was best playing a slacker in romantic comedies as opposed to someone respectable