Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2017, 08:55 AM   #3851
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'll take Bad Optics for $400, Alex:

Tom Namako (@TomNamako) | Twitter
Old 05-10-2017, 08:58 AM   #3852
Easy Mac

In Soviet Russia, America laughing stock.

Oh.. wait, that's not a joke anymore.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #3853
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Wouldn't Cardiac Care Network be CCN?

Precisely friend.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #3854
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Precisely friend.

That's ol' Duck Hunter for ya.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #3855
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
That's ol' Duck Hunter for ya.

Still only the second dumbest thing a member of that family said yesterday.

White House spokesperson: 'Time to move on' from Russia probes | TheHill
Old 05-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #3856
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'm generally okay with Comey being let go but reserve final judgement until I know who the proposed replacement is. I really don't think the investigation can be shut down.

If this is Trump's version of Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre, I'm looking forward to the drama playing out.

Shut down? No. Being able to stall and get it put on the back burner? Quite possibly and that's almost as good as shutting it down.

No matter what excuse was used to fire Comey it came down to the Russian investigation. Every time it picks up any steam Trump goes on a twitter tantrum trying to point fingers elsewhere and his latest was a couple days before firing Comey.

Until Republicans grow a spine and start calling Trump on his bullshit he's just going to continue doing what he wants.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #3857
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
It's disgusting how anyone attempts to rationalize this. If this happened in some far off eastern European place, we'd be mocking them and pointing out how uncivilized their country is.

This is the UK's general take on it TBH
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #3858
Easy Mac

What do you think Trump's phone call to Roger Stone was like this morning when he asked Stone to deny they speak on the phone?
Old 05-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #3859
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh shit...

Cookies are Not Accepted - New York Times

Quote:
Days before he was fired, James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director, asked the Justice Department for a significant increase in money and personnel for the bureau’s investigation into Russia’s interference in the presidential election, according to three congressional officials who were briefed on his request.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #3860
Butter
Coordinator

I'm torn. Comey is clearly an idiot. But this is a historically bad time for him to get fired.

They need a special prosecutor for this. But someone who can bring the full investigative power and weight of all of our investigative agencies to bear.

I have no idea how this happens, but it doesn't surprise me that Trump did this.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #3861
Easy Mac

Meanwhile

West Virginia journalist arrested after asking HHS Secretary Tom Price a question - The Washington Post
Old 05-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #3862
Easy Mac

Remember the good old days when an argument against electing Hillary was that we didn't want to have to deal with months of congressional hearings and special investigations.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #3863
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

And of course

Woman faces up to a year in prison for laughing during Jeff Sessions hearing
Old 05-10-2017, 01:46 PM   #3864
mckerney
Coordinator

The Deputy White House Press Secretary said today that James Comey committed atrocities so it sounds like Trump may have managed to crack the case of The Bowling Green Massacre.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #3865
mckerney
Coordinator

Oh, and the Deputy Press Secretary did the press briefing today because Sean Spicer didn't come in today after hiding behind bushes yesterday to avoid the press.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #3866
Easy Mac

Well, since the Holocaust didn't actually happen, its clear that Comey's actions are the worst in human history.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #3867
tarcone
Coordinator

Imagine what our government could do if they put as much energuy in helping people as they do trying to win

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

Last edited by tarcone : 05-10-2017 at 04:08 PM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #3868
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Imagine what our government could do if they put as much energuy in helping people as they do trying to win

I definitely agree that if the Trump Administration was full of people with good hearts and good will instead of people who constantly lie about their involvement with a foreign government that spent large amounts of resources interfering in our election process (the trying to win part) that we would all be better off, even if we had some disagreements in how to accomplish things.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #3869
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I'm torn. Comey is clearly an idiot. But this is a historically bad time for him to get fired.

He's a great lawyer, but an awful politician. It doesn't play well for FBI Director...but when he was acting Attorney General, he was fantastic.

(I don't say that because of my namesake.)

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #3870
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Russian State Media allowed into the White House with all their equipmemt. US press not allowed.

America first!
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #3871
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

They need a special prosecutor for this. But someone who can bring the full investigative power and weight of all of our investigative agencies to bear.

I have no idea how this happens, but it doesn't surprise me that Trump did this.

McConnell already said no to that, and Paul Ryan didn't find anything about special prosecutors under Ayn Rand's books, so he probably doesn't know how it would be done.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #3872
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Oh, and the Deputy Press Secretary did the press briefing today because Sean Spicer didn't come in today after hiding behind bushes yesterday to avoid the press.

I laughed hard at the bushes thing yesterday too, but in seriousness, I think it is great and admirable that Spicer still serves in the Navy Reserves and has regular duties.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:28 PM   #3873
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Russian State Media allowed into the White House with all their equipmemt. US press not allowed.

America first!

We're just getting trolled at this point right?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:09 PM   #3874
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I laughed hard at the bushes thing yesterday too, but in seriousness, I think it is great and admirable that Spicer still serves in the Navy Reserves and has regular duties.

I read that and thought I was reading satire. I had to double check the article because I couldn't believe that hiding in the bushes was an actual thing.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #3875
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Trump invents the phrase "priming the pump."

Quote:
But beyond that it’s OK if the tax plan increases the deficit?
It is OK, because it won’t increase it for long. You may have two years where you’ll… you understand the expression “prime the pump”?
Yes.
We have to prime the pump.
It’s very Keynesian.
We’re the highest-taxed nation in the world. Have you heard that expression before, for this particular type of an event?
Priming the pump?
Yeah, have you heard it?
Yes.
Have you heard that expression used before? Because I haven’t heard it. I mean, I just… I came up with it a couple of days ago and I thought it was good. It’s what you have to do.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:47 AM   #3876
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm torn. Comey is clearly an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
He's a great lawyer, but an awful politician. It doesn't play well for FBI Director...but when he was acting Attorney General, he was fantastic.

(I don't say that because of my namesake.)

Yeah, I was actually talking about you.

BOOM, ROASTED, etc. etc.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:02 AM   #3877
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I was actually talking about you.

BOOM, ROASTED, etc. etc.

That cut deep.

We're relatives on different branches. I guess I just wanted to be clear in my fefejse of him. A repirt said he has been considered as someone who tried to do what he felt was right, without regard to the consequences for himself. That's pretty accurate, and why he's out.

As an aside, my rarely used Twitter handle @jcomey has been mistaken, on several occasions, as the account of the former director. I was told I gut-checked America, and many called for my resignation...from the FBI. I have also been tweeted at with Hillary. And Trump. Recently, people tweeted at me, Trump, Preet Bharara and Sally Yates. And Putin.

I'm looking forward to getting back to the twitter private life, and using it just to get more entries to win a Best Buy gift card.

Last edited by Comey : 05-11-2017 at 07:05 AM. Reason: I'm good at producing typos when I type on my phone.
Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #3878
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
McConnell already said no to that, and Paul Ryan didn't find anything about special prosecutors under Ayn Rand's books, so he probably doesn't know how it would be done.

Even if there was stuff about special prosecutors in Ayn Rand's books, he'd just look past that like he does with her anti-religious views.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #3879
digamma
Torchbearer

Hard to come up with a worse day for the Trump presidency than yesterday at this point. At least three different stories regarding the reasoning for the Comey firing (1. at the behest of the DAG, 2. Trump lost confidence over several months, 3. Russia investigation expanding), the Russians in the White House, and being either duped or intentionally allowing Russian press coverage, and Trump hiring outside counsel to respond to Lindsay Graham's business inquiries. But hey, he thrives in chaos and not letting others know what he is thinking, right?
Old 05-11-2017, 09:00 AM   #3880
Easy Mac

Quote:
Hard to come up with a worse day for the Trump presidency than yesterday at this point. At least three different stories regarding the reasoning for the Comey firing (1. at the behest of the DAG, 2. Trump lost confidence over several months, 3. Russia investigation expanding), the Russians in the White House, and being either duped or intentionally allowing Russian press coverage, and Trump hiring outside counsel to respond to Lindsay Graham's business inquiries. But hey, he thrives in chaos and not letting others know what he is thinking, right?

Old 05-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #3881
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
regarding the reasoning for the Comey firing (1. at the behest of the DAG, 2. Trump lost confidence over several months, 3. Russia investigation expanding)

There's this little nugget on that:

Quote:
Rosenstein threatened to resign after the narrative emerging from the White House on Tuesday evening cast him as a prime mover of the decision to fire Comey and that the president acted only on his recommendation, said the person close to the White House, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

Inside Trump’s anger and impatience — and his sudden decision to fire Comey - The Washington Post

I know, anonymous sources and all that.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #3882
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Trump is pledging to release a "certified letter" that will prove their are no Russian connections.

So that's that, I guess.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:33 AM   #3883
digamma
Torchbearer

Can't link the twitters from here, but Trump is apparently preparing to hang a giant county by county election results map in the West Wing. So his response to all of this is simply: Scoreboard.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:37 AM   #3884
PilotMan
Head Coach

I love that people can keep pounding on the Russia thing and he just keeps going and going and going. I keep waiting for him to revive the Lock Her Up chant and start screaming Bengahzi at the press.

Like Steam?

Old 05-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #3885
digamma
Torchbearer

He knows how to play the hits. Rick Dees would be proud.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #3886
QuikSand
lolzcat

A few caveats. I don't know what qualifications this dude has to make this assessment. I'm not vouching for him. And he is undoubtedly vulnerable to the standard ad hominem "Brooklyn hipster" attack, which we have seen here before. But, with that in mind...

David Roberts on Twitter: "OK, y'all, time for some game theory. Ha ha, jk. It's actually time for some theory of mind! Gigantic tweetstorm to follow. Brace thyself."

Reading the full tweet storm (which is what passes for writing these days I guess) I confess I find this to be basically the most compelling assessment of what Trump really is/thinks. I am guilty of being one of those who have been trying to glean insight into his tactics, and trying to sort out the whole stupid/savvy thing. But reading this, I find it the most persuasive summary of him -- he's basically a goldfish.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #3887
miked
College Starter

Why is this unmasking thing a big deal? If you are talking with a known spy about things that are relevant to our country/government, shouldn't the requisite agencies know who you are? I mean, everything from the R's seems to be about the unmasking, nothing about the actual stuff going on with Russia.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #3888
Easy Mac

Quote:
Can't link the twitters from here, but Trump is apparently preparing to hang a giant county by county election results map in the West Wing. So his response to all of this is simply: Scoreboard.

Its not often that people hang things in their office that show how they lost.

It would make more sense to hang an electoral college map.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #3889
QuikSand
lolzcat

The bright red county-by-county map is always visually appealing to the red team, regardless of what it "means." If we voted by acre, we could just cancel elections.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #3890
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
A few caveats. I don't know what qualifications this dude has to make this assessment. I'm not vouching for him. And he is undoubtedly vulnerable to the standard ad hominem "Brooklyn hipster" attack, which we have seen here before. But, with that in mind...

David Roberts on Twitter: "OK, y'all, time for some game theory. Ha ha, jk. It's actually time for some theory of mind! Gigantic tweetstorm to follow. Brace thyself."

Reading the full tweet storm (which is what passes for writing these days I guess) I confess I find this to be basically the most compelling assessment of what Trump really is/thinks. I am guilty of being one of those who have been trying to glean insight into his tactics, and trying to sort out the whole stupid/savvy thing. But reading this, I find it the most persuasive summary of him -- he's basically a goldfish.

Which goes hand in hand with a diagnosis of Narcissism that he's been given. As it relates to ToM and his opinion that he only goes on instinct in the moment and what feels good to him and his desire to dominate:

Quote:
When it comes to narcissism and their ability to read others, we have to note several things. First, narcissists are good at reading certain things about people, like all predators they can see the weaknesses in others. They don't always see if they are hurting the other person, because that isn't important, what they want is to subjugate the other person, make them into an emotional slave who will cater to their wishes.

Like Steam?

Old 05-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #3891
Easy Mac

Quote:
The bright red county-by-county map is always visually appealing to the red team, regardless of what it "means." If we voted by acre, we could just cancel elections.

Of course, from an optics standpoint it looks prettier, but its a lie if you actually look into what its counting... which, I guess doesn't really matter to him.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #3892
PilotMan
Head Coach

How is it that the "master negotiator" was "tricked" by the Russians over the whole photog incident? I mean, it's arguably one of the more embarrassing incidents of this Presidency. If it was Hillary that this happened to, Trump would be all over Twitter talking how she was weak and just gave in on everything and that she is a joke of a President.

Like Steam?

Old 05-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #3893
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well, at least his voters can take solice in the fact that their plan to piss off libtards by voting him into office worked.

Totally worth it.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #3894
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Trump invents the phrase "priming the pump."

I haven't heard of it, I mean I just came up with it...

Old 05-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #3895
mckerney
Coordinator

Shortly after the White House says Trump fired Comey because of the recommendations of the AG and Deputy AG...

Rosenstein Pressed White House to Correct the Record on Comey Firing
Quote:
WASHINGTON—Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein pressed White House counsel Don McGahn to correct what he felt was an inaccurate White House depiction of the events surrounding FBI Director James Comey’s firing, according to a person familiar with the conversation.

Mr. Rosenstein left the impression that he couldn’t work in an environment where facts weren’t accurately reported, the person said. The deputy attorney general objected to statements by White House aides citing Mr. Rosenstein’s critical assessment of Mr.Comey’s job performance to justify the firing.

Last edited by mckerney : 05-11-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #3896
Easy Mac

The deputy press secretary said she heard from countless people in the FBI that they were grateful for Comey's firing. She then ends that thought by saying she doesn't know that many people in the FBI.

Do they just grow them stupid or did they actively seek these people out?
Old 05-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #3897
PilotMan
Head Coach

There are some priceless quotes in this Time article:

http://time.com/4775040/donald-trump...ing-president/

Quote:
But in a short period of time I understood everything there was to know about health care.

Quote:
Hey, I know when I’m successful. I know victory, okay.

Quote:
It sounded bad to me. Digital. They have digital. What is digital? And it’s very complicated, you have to be Albert Einstein to figure it out. And I said–and now they want to buy more aircraft carriers. I said what system are you going to be–"Sir, we’re staying with digital." I said no you’re not. You going to goddamned steam, the digital costs hundreds of millions of dollars more money and it’s no good.

Quote:
Me, I invite people in. ... And it means something, the Oval Office. It means something to them. I’m telling you I’ve had big people, some of the biggest business people, you’ve seen it. They go in they’re like, they can’t believe it. And I’ve seen them cry. It’s weird.

Quote:
See, there wasn’t a second attempt. There was only one attempt. There was a mistake, was we set a date. Now had we not set that date, we would have had one time. What we did was we started off and it changed until three or four days ago when it got passed. But we set a date. And when we didn’t vote, everyone said Trump fails with health care.

Quote:
You know we’ve gotten billions of dollars more in NATO than hat we’re getting. All because of me. I mean it’s not like a bragging thing, I’m just saying. If Hillary Clinton would have gotten in, she wouldn’t even know that we’re getting screwed by everybody.

This one is just the best.
Quote:
We have kids leaving this country because they’re so damned good at the internet, ISIS, they’re better at the internet than Google.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 05-11-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #3898
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
The deputy press secretary said she heard from countless people in the FBI that they were grateful for Comey's firing. She then ends that thought by saying she doesn't know that many people in the FBI.

Do they just grow them stupid or did they actively seek these people out?

And then there was this part.

White House: Removing Comey will help bring Russia investigation to end

Quote:
The White House said Thursday that removing FBI Director James Comey from his post may hasten the agency's investigation into Russian meddling.

"We want this to come to its conclusion, we want it to come to its conclusion with integrity," said deputy press secretary Sarah Sanders, referring to the FBI's probe into Moscow's interference in last year's election. "And we think that we've actually, by removing Director Comey, taken steps to make that happen."

The statement was a surprising admission from the White House that Comey's sudden dismissal on Tuesday may have an effect on the Russia probe. Officials have insisted the removal came because of Comey's handling of an investigation into Hillary Clinton's email server, and was unrelated to his oversight of the look into Russia's election hacking and possible ties between Trump advisers and Russian operatives.

Last edited by mckerney : 05-11-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:22 PM   #3899
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
There are some priceless quotes in this Time article:

http://time.com/4775040/donald-trump...ing-president/

This one is just the best.

Gonna nominate this one too:

Quote:
You know I have a lot of respect for President Xi [Jinping]. I have great respect for him. I think we have a very good mutual liking of each other. And I told you we had tremendous dialogue at Mar-a-Lago.

And Mar-a-Lago is a great place for the dialogue because there’s a warmth to Mar-a-Lago that you just don’t find anywhere else. You can sit down in a chair and just talk for hours. Where in some places you don’t have that.

And this is great. I mean it’s very different. But you don’t have that here. It’s not the same. It’s great in a different way.

Yeah, let's turn a question about China into a two paragraph ad for my private club.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #3900
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I wish I had a job with access to this board in the WH just so I could surreptitiously put a post-it note on the map pointing to Wyoming or someplace with the caption "Nobody lives here." Every damn day.

Last edited by Shkspr : 05-11-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote