Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2009, 03:57 PM   #3801
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Ok he is signed through 2012 with an option for 2013. that makes me feel a little better, I wasn't sure on that.

Yes, we just extended him last like a year ago. At a cheaper than normer deal for an ace, too. Pisses me off even more
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:57 PM   #3802
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
All for Jake "torn up ankle" Peavy

At least you didn't get stuck with Mister "Oh, you mean there were only two outs" LaRoche as your everyday first baseman & new strikeout threat. I'd rather have Peavy if he had a leg amputated.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:58 PM   #3803
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
And if LaRouche manages to wildly exceed expectations in the next two months he's a free agent at the end of the year. Kotchman, while not particularly good, had 2.5 years left before free agency. Freedie Freeman better be ready soon. I don't understand this trade either.

I understand this trade fully.

I've also been drinking heavily since 8 this morning.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:58 PM   #3804
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
And if LaRouche manages to wildly exceed expectations in the next two months he's a free agent at the end of the year. Kotchman, while not particularly good, had 2.5 years left before free agency.

And at what, about a quarter of the salary.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:01 PM   #3805
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Well, I hope it works out for the Chisox. Buehrle, Peavy, Floyd, Danks does sound pretty good. need a decent 5th starter tho.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:04 PM   #3806
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Apparently Brian Jordan just explained the Kotchman deal on one of the sports talk stations in Atlanta. According to Jordan at least, he was shipped out because he was "too quiet" and didn't fit in with the clubhouse, never hung out with the team outside of the stadium or tried to make any friends.

Somebody get me a third clip for Wren.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-31-2009 at 04:05 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #3807
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Apparently Brian Jordan just explained the Kotchman deal on one of the sports talk stations in Atlanta. According to Jordan at least, he was shipped out because he was "too quiet" and didn't fit in with the clubhouse, never hung out with the team outside of the stadium or tried to make any friends.

Oh... well... in that case... I don't want the team winning to get in the way of partytime.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:12 PM   #3808
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Oh... well... in that case... I don't want the team winning to get in the way of partytime.

Fuck the winning, they just don't want baseball to interfere with fall hunting season.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #3809
stevew
Hall Of Famer

my my count, you now have 2 major building blocks to the Pirates 2008 67-95 success. Good luck with that.

Last edited by stevew : 07-31-2009 at 04:14 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #3810
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Well, I hope it works out for the Chisox. Buehrle, Peavy, Floyd, Danks does sound pretty good. need a decent 5th starter tho.

"Frankly I am flabbergasted that the White Sox would want to make this deal with him in his physical condition," [Peavy agent Barry] Axelrod said.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #3811
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Interesting. Not the first time hints of this have come. About three seasons ago, Kotch missed most of a season with mono, which turned into (or always was and was mis-diagnosed) a more serious form of the disease. Kotch made noises that the Angels' physicians had mis-diagnosed him, even talked about a lawsuit, I think. Or at least being bitter. At the time, he hadn't done anything either, and was a long time coming, so Angels fans were a little put off by all this. He always was quiet, but mostly figured it was that he's just a kid in a clubhouse with a lot of proven vets, so why talk?

I feel a little bad for him. He was basically sacrificed here for a short term fix in Teixeira, and that was after he had finally gotten good playing time and was playing steadily for the Angels. He was with the club that employed his dad and doing well. Then they ship him to the Braves, he loses his mother, and turns into (or back into, perspective) a headcase. Bad start to this year, too, I think.

Now he gets traded to the Sox (second deadline deal in a row) and is described as "too quiet" and "not fitting in".

I am glad he's going to the Sox. If he's not a "fit in" sort, Francona's a good guy to have as a manager, really seems to know how to get the most from his players. And Kotch does work hard and play good D at first (an underrated need, even if it's not like a SS or a C)--I think this can be a good move for him. Hope he gets back to where he can be, although I really hope we don't have some situation in October where he's the one beating the Angels in the playoffs. That would suck.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #3812
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
"Frankly I am flabbergasted that the White Sox would want to make this deal with him in his physical condition," [Peavy agent Barry] Axelrod said.

Umm ... isn't that an odd quote coming from his agent or am I missing something here?

I mean, Peavy had to approve the trade himself, right?
Old 07-31-2009, 04:25 PM   #3813
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Local paper blog says the Angels and Jays were trying to hammer out a deal for Doc right up to the end, but they just ran out of time. They last proposed deal was Saunders and three others (prospects were suggested, but I find it hard to believe the Jays would do the deal without getting Wood or Aybar).

Things got a little nutty for a short while, because the Halos only have one open roster spot, and but had called up both C Bobby Wilson and 2B Sean Rodriguez today. Angels followers/insiders were thinking this might be a prelude to a deal, and people were scrambling around for info.

Turns out Mathis is just sore and seeing a doctor, so Wilson is a "just in case" call up. Rodriguez was called up to fill the known hole in the roster.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:26 PM   #3814
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Umm ... isn't that an odd quote coming from his agent or am I missing something here?

Yeah, that tripped me out, too.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:29 PM   #3815
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Interesting. Not the first time hints of this have come.

Eh, the "not fitting in" stuff says a lot more about the attitude in the Braves clubhouse than it does about Kotchman I think.

It's been a cliquey bunch for a long time. You had the golfers in the starting rotation (which worked very well for them), you had the nightclub group (most of which have retired or are otherwise gone), you had the good ol' boys (basically Chipper & McCann at this point along with some young/role players that come & go). Even younger players were accepted as long as they picked a niche to hang with.

Kotchman meanwhile was a professional who came to work, did his job, and lived his life. He's not the first player to have this happen or so I've heard at least (one of those "know somebody who knows somebody" deals so take that FWIW). Apparently being a professional just doesn't fit into any of the cliques.

I wish the guy nothing but the absolute best in the world, he did what he was paid to do, no muss & no fuss, gave us great defense & hit more than well enough on a team that has chosen to endure such greats as Francouer & Norton while he was here.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:30 PM   #3816
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

Quote:

Well, he is almost by default going to fail the physical. Maybe not saying that Peavy is irretrievably broken as much as "guys, he's still recovering from an injury. I'm surprised they'd give up that much to take the risk of buying low."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:31 PM   #3817
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Well, he is almost by default going to fail the physical. Maybe not saying that Peavy is irretrievably broken as much as "guys, he's still recovering from an injury. I'm surprised they'd give up that much to take the risk of buying low."

That could be it.

It just sounded more to me like Axelrod didn't want him to go to Chicago for whatever reason & Peavy approved the deal over his objections.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:12 PM   #3818
tarcone
Coordinator

Im excited that no one upgraded in the NL Central like the Cardinals did. Their lineup is solid top to bottom and the rotations first 3 pitchers are in the top 14 in the majors in ERA. Things are looking good in St Louis.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:13 PM   #3819
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Lol, Kenny Williams said there was 23 seconds left in the deadline when the deal got done.

I hope Peavy isn't more hurt then people think.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:23 PM   #3820
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS -- Shortstop Orlando Cabrera has been traded from the Oakland Athletics to the Minnesota Twins.

The Twins sent minor league infielder Tyler Ladendorf to the A's for Cabrera and cash. Friday's deal came a few hours before baseball's 4 p.m. ET non-waiver trade deadline.

Minnesota entered the day two games behind Detroit in the AL Central. The Twins need more production up the middle, with Nick Punto and Alexi Casilla struggling to hit this season.

Leading Twins players have also recently expressed their desire to see the team make a move to upgrade the roster. The Twins have traditionally been quiet at the deadline.

Cabrera was batting .280 with four homers, 41 RBIs and 11 steals for Oakland. He was expected to be at the Metrodome for Saturday's game against the Angels.

That'll help.

A year and a half in and Bill Smith still hasn't made a good trade.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:27 PM   #3821
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
News in Chicago is that they expect him back by the end of August. I guess you could say that the move was made not just for this year, but the next few. Gives them an Ace alongside Buerhle, Danks, and Floyd. Definitely one of the top rotations in baseball.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #3822
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

apparently they are gonna have him throw off a mound tomorrow to see where he is at.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:35 PM   #3823
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
hit more than well enough on a team that has chosen to endure such greats as Francouer & Norton while he was here.

Problem is that neither Kotchman nor LaRoche hits nearly well enough for a starting 1B on a team that is even potentially thinking about playoffs.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #3824
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Problem is that neither Kotchman nor LaRoche hits nearly well enough for a starting 1B on a team that is even potentially thinking about playoffs.

I can't speak for him now, but Kotchman was hitting well enough for a team that was certainly going to make the playoffs last year. The Angels already were pretty much locked in before they even dealt for Teix.

That said, agreed, not exactly an offensive force.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #3825
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
LaRoche was dumped out of Atlanta in the first place because he was an inconsistent head case (yeah, I know, it's a mental health issue but still). And he's got a virtually identical OPS to Kotchman who at least tries hard, whereas LaRoche is capable of making Greg Norton look like a hitter & Garret Anderson look energetic.
It's strange from the Boston perspective too because we were unloading Laroche to free up at bats at 1B for Victor Martinez. I guess Kotchman is a better defender, and has potential, so in a trade of lefty 1B we won, but we were trying to get rid of that position since we've now got 3.5 guys whose primary position is 1B (Youk, Ortiz (DH) Kotchman and V-Mart when not at C). Hopefully it means more Youk at 3B and less Lowell, but that still doesn't leave much/any time for Kotchman.

I like the V-Mart deal. Masterson was useful and fairly unique as a long reliever who could go on back to back days and soak up innings but he'll probably always be around league average with his repertoire (basically a hard sinking fastball.) Price has potential as a bullpen arm but hasn't shown much more than 5 other guys in the lower levels. Hagadone has the best potential in it. If the Indians stretch him back out to starter he's probably 2 years away, but if he stayed healthy in our system he would have been a great power lefty out of the bullpen by mid next season. Even coming back from TJ surgery he's been dominant. Still, a fair deal and we kept the important players (Buchholz, Lars, Reddick, Kelly, Westmoreland)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:30 PM   #3826
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Fuck the winning, they just don't want baseball to interfere with fall hunting season.

Then why isn't Peavy a Brave ?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:34 PM   #3827
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You have got to be fucking shitting me. Frank Wren ought to be took out back and shot until the gun is empty. And then we need to reload & empty another clip in the dumb bastard.

LaRoche was dumped out of Atlanta in the first place because he was an inconsistent head case (yeah, I know, it's a mental health issue but still). And he's got a virtually identical OPS to Kotchman who at least tries hard, whereas LaRoche is capable of making Greg Norton look like a hitter & Garret Anderson look energetic.

Fuck me running.

It seems strange to me, especially for a team as cost-conscious as the Braves; I guess Kotchman would have probably been non-tendered at the end of the season. The only silver lining is that LaRoche has consistently been a 2nd half player; to quote: Red Sox Trade: Understanding Adam LaRoche, second-half stud - Small White Ball
- "he hit .323 in the second half of 2006, .328 in the second half of 2007 and .321 in the second half of 2008 after horrendous starts. "
- "according to BaseballHQ.com, he is one of just 3% of batters who show a 'consistent increase or decline' between their first half and second half numbers in home runs, RBI and batting average. "

FWIW, I'd expect him to outperform Kotchman offensively, but give it back on defense for the rest of the season.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:34 PM   #3828
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Im excited that no one upgraded in the NL Central like the Cardinals did. Their lineup is solid top to bottom and the rotations first 3 pitchers are in the top 14 in the majors in ERA. Things are looking good in St Louis.

Dude, didn't you see the Brewers picked up Claudio fucking Vargas?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:00 PM   #3829
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

*hurls*

Really? Masterson + 2 others for VMart?

HE'S NOT THAT FUCKING GOOD!!! HE DOESN'T SOLVE ANY GLARING PROBLEMS THAT YOU HAVE!!!!

*feeling ill*
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:02 PM   #3830
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And thinking about it more and reading the sentiments at SOSH, there's no way that Varitek is just going to be benched or released. So Martinez is basically going to be a platoon player unless Lowell gets hurt again.

or maybe lowell's hurt worse than they've let on...but still...I think they gave up too much to get a player who frankly is a giant turd
Old 07-31-2009, 07:04 PM   #3831
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

Cubs already made a few trades (essentially) with the return of Ramirez a couple of weeks ago and Soriano finally beginning to produce, and will enjoy the return of Soto in the next week. Also, despite the injury to Lilly (he is not expected to be out for the year) Harden has been lights out his last 3 starts and you have to think Dempster will round back into form at least a little following his return from the DL. He was beginning to show signs before his freak toe injury.

Add that to the one actual trade they made to get another lefty in the bullpen and the Cubs are looking pretty solid for making their run to the playoffs.
zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #3832
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I ran some numbers and Rolon + Balentein comes out to a 44-20 record for the Reds over the rest of the season. CHAMPIONSHIP!
Old 07-31-2009, 07:09 PM   #3833
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

daddytorgo (8:06:42 PM): mastersn's a dirty-throwing young reliever who has shown the ability to stretch out and start

daddytorgo (8:07:25 PM): martinez is a mildly above-average c/1b/dh...he can't catch full-time and he's blocked at 1b by a gold-glover (i don't like the idea of moving youk) and he doesn't have enough power to replace the production we should be getting from the roid-head at DH

daddytorgo (8:10:13 PM): do you really think VMart+Youk-Lowell-Masterson makes you that much better than Masterson+Youk+LaRoche+Kotchman?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-31-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:13 PM   #3834
Izulde
Head Coach

Honestly, I think Peavy will be fine. He's signed through 2012 and is still an ace quality pitcher.

If we're still in the thick of it by the time he gets back, he'll be a -huge- boost. Our rotation's gonna be filthy over the next few years.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:28 PM   #3835
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
daddytorgo (8:06:42 PM): mastersn's a dirty-throwing young reliever who has shown the ability to stretch out and start

daddytorgo (8:07:25 PM): martinez is a mildly above-average c/1b/dh...he can't catch full-time and he's blocked at 1b by a gold-glover (i don't like the idea of moving youk) and he doesn't have enough power to replace the production we should be getting from the roid-head at DH

daddytorgo (8:10:13 PM): do you really think VMart+Youk-Lowell-Masterson makes you that much better than Masterson+Youk+LaRoche+Kotchman?

Me: Yes.

That was the conversation we had

BTW, Dodgers just missed out on a major deal.

Via Twitter, Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Padres almost dealt Heath Bell and Adrian Gonzalez to the Dodgers for James Loney, Russell Martin, Blake DeWitt, James McDonald and Ivan Dejesus. Wow.

I think the DOdgers dodged a bullet there.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 07-31-2009 at 08:29 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:48 PM   #3836
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Via Twitter, Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Padres almost dealt Heath Bell and Adrian Gonzalez to the Dodgers for James Loney, Russell Martin, Blake DeWitt, James McDonald and Ivan Dejesus. Wow.

here - this bit from si.com asks the question i'm wondering:

The difference between Martinez's 22.4 runs above replacement and Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek's 13.8 is worth roughly a half a win over the remainder of the season, but a closer look at their seasons reveals that Martinez did most of his hitting in April and May and has hit just .211/.303/.378 since June 1 to Varitek's .238/.366/.389 over the same span. Martinez could very easily rebound down the stretch; his .313/.361/.552 line at Fenway Park is well above his career rates despite the fact that it was compiled against the often excellent Red Sox pitching. As of right now, however, he doesn't represent a meaningful improvement over Varitek behind the plate.
Martinez has split his time between catching and first base this season, but the Red Sox already have the latter position manned by their top hitter, Kevin Youkilis. Youkilis, too, has slowed since June 1, but not nearly as much as Martinez. In fact, Youkilis's line since June 1 (.243/.345/.459) isn't that far behind Martinez's season line (.284/.368/.464), which very nearly matches Martinez's career rates, the latter two of which are no better than league average for a first baseman (.272/.353/.488).
Youkilis could slide over to third base, where he's already started 28 games this season and 150 in his major league career, but Mike Lowell has been one of the Red Sox's hottest hitters since coming off the disabled list two weeks ago, hitting .406/.447/.625 in that span. Martinez or Lowell, who is having a rough season in the field due to the hip injury which prompted offseason surgery, are good candidates to DH, but David Ortiz has that spot locked down, having pulled out of his early-season doldrums by hitting .275/.352/.575 with 13 homers since June 1.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:38 PM   #3837
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I have to say that I am suddenly liking this Lee trade much better. So far a no hitter through 5 in his Phillies' debut and he's faced the minimum (one walk erased on a double play).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:45 PM   #3838
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I jinxed him.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:47 PM   #3839
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Sign Holliday please Mozeliak!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:47 PM   #3840
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You so jinxed it, EF
Old 07-31-2009, 10:49 PM   #3841
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
You so jinxed it, EF

Yep, was hoping that would hook foul. Still a one hit shutout through 6 and he has looked completely in control.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:51 PM   #3842
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

The only aspect I dont understand is Russell Martin. Did Colletti think we had Carlos Santana still in the minors?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:11 PM   #3843
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I have to say that I am suddenly liking this Lee trade much better. So far a no hitter through 5 in his Phillies' debut and he's faced the minimum (one walk erased on a double play).

Still hard to believe that we got an impact player mid-season for pocket lint and loose change. Not to mention that we're still the defending champs.

Is this really the Phillies franchise I've come to know and love?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:18 PM   #3844
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Yep, was hoping that would hook foul. Still a one hit shutout through 6 and he has looked completely in control.

Lee definitely operates fast. Not much waiting between pitches.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:28 PM   #3845
RedKingGold
College Starter

And I guess Lee knows how to hold a bat as well with two hits tonight.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 07-31-2009 at 11:28 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:00 AM   #3846
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah
When you factor in salary and prospect costs Lee was a much better acquisition IMO.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:17 AM   #3847
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
here - this bit from si.com asks the question i'm wondering:

The difference between Martinez's 22.4 runs above replacement and Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek's 13.8 is worth roughly a half a win over the remainder of the season, but a closer look at their seasons reveals that Martinez did most of his hitting in April and May and has hit just .211/.303/.378 since June 1 to Varitek's .238/.366/.389 over the same span. Martinez could very easily rebound down the stretch; his .313/.361/.552 line at Fenway Park is well above his career rates despite the fact that it was compiled against the often excellent Red Sox pitching. As of right now, however, he doesn't represent a meaningful improvement over Varitek behind the plate.
Martinez has split his time between catching and first base this season, but the Red Sox already have the latter position manned by their top hitter, Kevin Youkilis. Youkilis, too, has slowed since June 1, but not nearly as much as Martinez. In fact, Youkilis's line since June 1 (.243/.345/.459) isn't that far behind Martinez's season line (.284/.368/.464), which very nearly matches Martinez's career rates, the latter two of which are no better than league average for a first baseman (.272/.353/.488).
Youkilis could slide over to third base, where he's already started 28 games this season and 150 in his major league career, but Mike Lowell has been one of the Red Sox's hottest hitters since coming off the disabled list two weeks ago, hitting .406/.447/.625 in that span. Martinez or Lowell, who is having a rough season in the field due to the hip injury which prompted offseason surgery, are good candidates to DH, but David Ortiz has that spot locked down, having pulled out of his early-season doldrums by hitting .275/.352/.575 with 13 homers since June 1.

Not very inspiring.

It's really just a depth move. The Sox had Jeff Bailey and Mark Kotsay playing 1B on occasion when Lowell was injured. So it's an upgrade from Bailey/LaRoche to Martinez. And maybe Varitek plays slightly less.

I guess I like the trade just because Martinez is signed for next year. That will further ease Varitek out the door, giving the Sox another year to figure out a long-term answer at catcher.

Last edited by molson : 08-01-2009 at 12:21 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:03 AM   #3848
stevew
Hall Of Famer

LOL-the 2008 Pirates opening day roster

Pitchers:
Matt Capps
Zach Duke
Phil Dumatrait
John Grabow
Tom Gorzelanny
Paul Maholm
Damaso Marte
Evan Meek
Matt Morris
Franquelis Osoria
Ian Snell
Tyler Yates

Catchers:
Ryan Doumit
Ronny Paulino

Infielders:
Jose Bautista
Chris Gomez
Adam LaRoche
Doug Mientkiewicz
Luis Rivas
Freddy Sanchez
Jack Wilson

Outfielders:
Jason Bay
Nate McLouth
Nyjer Morgan
Xavier Nady

Injured
Traded
Released/not retained
Old 08-01-2009, 02:13 AM   #3849
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
LOL-the 2008 Pirates opening day roster

Pitchers:
Matt Capps
Zach Duke
Phil Dumatrait
John Grabow
Tom Gorzelanny
Paul Maholm
Damaso Marte
Evan Meek
Matt Morris
Franquelis Osoria
Ian Snell
Tyler Yates

Catchers:
Ryan Doumit
Ronny Paulino

Infielders:
Jose Bautista
Chris Gomez
Adam LaRoche
Doug Mientkiewicz
Luis Rivas
Freddy Sanchez
Jack Wilson

Outfielders:
Jason Bay
Nate McLouth
Nyjer Morgan
Xavier Nady

Injured
Traded
Released/not retained

that's crazy!!
Old 08-01-2009, 02:27 AM   #3850
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The sad part is, that you have one really good player(Bay), a couple above average player(Sanchez, McLouth), some decent relievers, a few decent hitters, and then a bunch of guys who are mainly just filler.

Around here people act like they traded away the '27 Yankees.