Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #3801
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
In other words, those most concerned about getting beaten.

Massie in KY is my Rep. He might have gone to MIT to prove he's smart, but he's also a hardcore libertarian who wrote a bill to end the Dep of Education and co-sponsored one to eliminate the EPA. He pretty much believes that we should all live without a national government and votes "No" on just about everything dealing with it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #3802
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Ummmm...you might want to check your sources there...

I was just coming back. I had no sources, I was watching the vote live and thought it was the winners, apparently is was the idiot losers
Old 05-05-2017, 09:09 AM   #3803
Thomkal
Head Coach

Guess we all need to move to Australia then...

Trump praises Australia’s universal health-care system: ‘You have better health care than we do’ - The Boston Globe
Old 05-05-2017, 09:09 AM   #3804
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Interesting.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #3805
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

Don't think it is any big secret that Trump has always been in favor of this. If he wasn't so obviously short sighted I would question if passing this abomination of healthcare bill is so important for him so in a few years he can argue for the system he really wants in place.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #3806
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Does he really want anything other than money and wins?
Old 05-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #3807
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Power (which is related to wins). He wanted to be president and had a good plan to get there, which included publicly adopting, for the first time in his life, the textbook Republican platform. I think his real views are a lot more moderate and varied, but they're just not an important part of who he is, compared to other things.

Last edited by molson : 05-05-2017 at 10:12 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:22 PM   #3808
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

People cheering

I think dubb93 is accurate. In a world where everyone isn't playing a political game Trump would probably push for Universal Healthcare. Taking down Obamacare is what was getting him strong reactions on the campaign trail though so that's what he's going with.

I doubt he has a strong enough understanding of the Healthcare system to see the impact any Healthcare bill and relies on people around him to tell him what it does. That's why he keeps insisting no one is losing coverage and it covers pre existing conditions.

Trump is getting mocked by Democrats for not being able to replace Obamacare and he needs that feather in his cap as an accomplishment he can advertise to his base to show he's doing stuff. I think some Republicans are taking advantage of this vulnerability to get this particular healthcare plan through.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #3809
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Trump is getting mocked by Democrats for not being able to replace Obamacare

Rightfully so, though not exactly for that reason.

He's failed to deliver since yesterday's misbegotten bill did not repeal. This is precisely the sort of failure neither he nor the party needed. It's a definite box checked off the "ya know, what's the point if they aren't going to do anything" list.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #3810
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Today we have FCC Chief Ajit Pai saying that Net Neutrality actions should be taken preemptively AFTER things are broken. You can't make that kind of stupidity up.

Quote:
"Preemptive regulation is appropriate when there's a major market failure — when the Internet is broken," he says.

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai Makes Case For Tackling Net Neutrality Violations 'After The Fact' : All Tech Considered : NPR

Also, you've got news of 5 major investment banks moving a crapload of jobs from London to Frankfurt in response to the idiocy of Brexit.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-br...-idUSKBN1811GA

Welcome to the potential very near term future of the US folks. 62 million people owe those with functioning human brains an apology.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 05-05-2017 at 12:34 PM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:48 PM   #3811
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Also, you've got news of 5 major investment banks moving a crapload of jobs from London to Frankfurt in response to the idiocy of Brexit.

Brexit should never have been necessary .... if not for the braindead willingness of fools & cowards willing to give up sovereignty in the first place.

Quote:
Welcome to the potential very near term future of the US folks. 62 million people owe those with functioning human brains an apology.

Those who voted for Obama even once owe the planet an apology. Then again, so does his mother.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #3812
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Old 05-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #3813
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Those who voted for Obama even once owe the planet an apology. Then again, so does his mother.

OMG ROASTED
Old 05-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #3814
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Don't think it is any big secret that Trump has always been in favor of this. If he wasn't so obviously short sighted I would question if passing this abomination of healthcare bill is so important for him so in a few years he can argue for the system he really wants in place.

The thing is though that all those Republicans he just begged to do this want nothing to do with this kind of healthcare law.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #3815
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
The thing is though that all those Republicans he just begged to do this want nothing to do with this kind of healthcare law.

True enough. I'm just not sure how committed he is to that party anyway.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #3816
Thomkal
Head Coach

Macron wins French Presidental election and stops the far-right movement in Europe, at least for now.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #3817
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And because we're generally innumerate as a species we'll say the polls were right even though the final margin was further from the polls than the Trump or Brexit polls.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:51 PM   #3818
Atocep
Coordinator

So Trump fired Comey in the middle of his investigation into Trump.

This should be interesting.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #3819
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Will the GOP in congress finally say no?

Doubtful.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:00 PM   #3820
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
So Trump fired Comey in the middle of his investigation into Trump.

This should be interesting.

From a quick reading of the ABC News version of the story, it looks like this was related to last week's inaccurate testimony. If so, he kinda provided the rope for his own hanging.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #3821
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Doubtful.

Only at their own peril I would figure. I'm seeing a consistent tone of "well FINALLY" and "it's about time" from the right on my social media.

Failure to indict HRC seems to be lingering on a lot of hearts & minds where he's concerned I guess.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #3822
Jas_lov
College Starter

Coney had to go. He broke protocol to influence the outcome of an election. Why didn't Obama do this a long time ago?
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #3823
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So the guy that listened to a Lock Her Up chant at his 100 days rally now fires the FBI Director for being too mean to Clinton?

Bullshit.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #3824
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

So Trump has now fired 3 people who were directly investigating him, the Director of the FBI, the acting Attorney General, and the US Attorney of NY.

But at least Comey will get replaced by someone honest and non-partisan.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #3825
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So the guy that listened to a Lock Her Up chant at his 100 days rally now fires the FBI Director for being too mean to Clinton?
Bullshit.

No, that's not what I said (if that was meant for me). I said that his recent testimony was inaccurate, which was the key point highlighted in the breaking version of the story I read. That wasn't my take, that was what was being pointed out by a decidedly not-pro-Trump organization.

I've seen, since that post, the impetus being described as "The Attorney General's office made the recommendation to fire the FBI director to the President based on Comey's announcement back in July of last year the investigation into Hillary Clinton's emails was closed. The Attorney General's office says that wasn't Comey's call to make."

Now if that is the case, I'm not sure why they waited unless the more recent bit of rope he provided (as described by ABC News) pushed the button.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:16 PM   #3826
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm not sure why they waited......

This seems to be a theme with this administration.

Like Steam?

Old 05-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #3827
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Trump and his corrupt team was just looking for an excuse to help beat back everyone that will accuse him of simply firing someone else that's investigating him. Which will hopefully not work.

As for Comey, I don't think he was working to help either side of the aisle, he's just a completly incompetent dunce that loves the spot light. Not a great combination.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #3828
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
As for Comey, I don't think he was working to help either side of the aisle, he's just a completly incompetent dunce that loves the spot light. Not a great combination.

I'm not even sold on the notion that he craves the spotlight insomuch as he was simply overmatched by the job. He kept trying to do -- if I'm being generous -- the right thing ... he just couldn't quite figure out definitively what that was.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:00 PM   #3829
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
This seems to be a theme with this administration.

I'm not at all sure that there isn't a long game there ... in this case I just don't really see what it is.

There is at least one possible "escape hatch" that I can see possibly for the odd thing about this (supposedly? reportedly?) being based on an AG recommendation.

Sessions was confirmed on Feb 8th. Let's be generous (just work with me here, as an exercise if nothing else) and say it took him a week or two to get various things moving, another 4-6 weeks to review Comey's conduct. That could put things at mid/late April for that recommendation to have been made.

Would it be that unreasonable for the chief executive to give such a thing a week's worth of consideration? Something like last week's testimony (if I have the timing of that right) could then conceivably be the sort of last straw that tipped the scales for agreeing with the recommendation.

If, on the other hand, the recommendation was made weeks or months ago but was only now acted on, the timeline gets harder to situate.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-09-2017 at 07:00 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #3830
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm generally okay with Comey being let go but reserve final judgement until I know who the proposed replacement is. I really don't think the investigation can be shut down.

If this is Trump's version of Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre, I'm looking forward to the drama playing out.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #3831
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
I'm not even sold on the notion that he craves the spotlight insomuch as he was simply overmatched by the job.
Yeah. I think he was fine with the run-of-the-mill stuff, but when the stakes got higher, he tended to bungle things.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #3832
Flasch186
Coordinator

My impeachment bet is looking good in the preseason.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #3833
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Mostly because I'm watching house of cards, but I think they were waiting if/when senate went nuclear. Now they can confirm a much more sympathetic director without a filibuster
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #3834
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Doubtful.

Not sure there is a set of testicles in the bunch.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #3835
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Not sure there is a set of testicles in the bunch.

Talking about the Senate committee working on the Health Care Bill again?

Like Steam?

Old 05-09-2017, 09:23 PM   #3836
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I see Trump fired Comey. In Werewolf terms, that is called "bussing"
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:26 PM   #3837
bronconick
College Starter

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/09/politi...sia/index.html
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #3838
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

The leaks that will come out will sure be something.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #3839
digamma
Torchbearer

What a shit show.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:02 PM   #3840
whomario
Pro Starter

Dicatorship 101.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:16 PM   #3841
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
I'm not at all sure that there isn't a long game there ... in this case I just don't really see what it is.

There is at least one possible "escape hatch" that I can see possibly for the odd thing about this (supposedly? reportedly?) being based on an AG recommendation.

Sessions was confirmed on Feb 8th. Let's be generous (just work with me here, as an exercise if nothing else) and say it took him a week or two to get various things moving, another 4-6 weeks to review Comey's conduct. That could put things at mid/late April for that recommendation to have been made.

Would it be that unreasonable for the chief executive to give such a thing a week's worth of consideration? Something like last week's testimony (if I have the timing of that right) could then conceivably be the sort of last straw that tipped the scales for agreeing with the recommendation.

If, on the other hand, the recommendation was made weeks or months ago but was only now acted on, the timeline gets harder to situate.

Bill Kristol‏Verified account @BillKristol 4h4 hours ago

Rod Rosenstein has been Deputy AG two weeks. That's a pretty short time for him to have done the work to make so serious a "recommendation."

Bill Kristol‏Verified account @BillKristol 4h4 hours ago

The Rosenstein memo is dated...today. So there was no real recommendation from DOJ. Trump wanted to do it, and they created a paper trail.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:23 PM   #3842
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And even the most HFC of the HFC is aghast:

GOP's Amash calls for independent commission on Russia after Comey’s firing | TheHill

edit: They didn't think it was going to be a big deal. Apparently, they're the only ones who thought so.

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/862090285584498688

Last edited by SirFozzie : 05-09-2017 at 11:13 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:07 AM   #3843
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Mostly because I'm watching house of cards, but I think they were waiting if/when senate went nuclear. Now they can confirm a much more sympathetic director without a filibuster

Probably this.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:08 AM   #3844
Jas_lov
College Starter

He could nominate Guliani. Not sure if he'd get through even with 51 votes. It has to be someone with no ties to Trump or some senators like McCain and Graham might not go along.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:36 AM   #3845
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
He could nominate Guliani. Not sure if he'd get through even with 51 votes. It has to be someone with no ties to Trump or some senators like McCain and Graham might not go along.

lol

GOP moderates always do what they are told to do. I'm sure Graham and McCain will be very concerned while they cast their Yes votes.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:33 AM   #3846
digamma
Torchbearer

Meanwhile Trump is just spending the morning retweeting Drudge.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:53 AM   #3847
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Meanwhile Trump is just spending the morning retweeting Drudge.

This is who 46% of the country wanted to be President.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:58 AM   #3848
Logan
Head Coach

It's disgusting how anyone attempts to rationalize this. If this happened in some far off eastern European place, we'd be mocking them and pointing out how uncivilized their country is.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:26 AM   #3849
Logan
Head Coach

How does this stay up for over an hour?

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #3850
Bee
Pro Starter

Wouldn't Cardiac Care Network be CCN?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote