Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #3801
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Wow - Mitt looks so wooden and scared when he walks out to take the questions from the audience.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #3802
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Massachusetts Mitt doesn't scare me, but Ryan budget Mitt sure does.

No worse than Obama's budget.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #3803
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Update Your Browser | Facebook

A group mocking Romney's "Binders full of Women" comment already has 40K plus likes on FB. Things move quick these days
Old 10-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #3804
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Hasn't a Republican Presidency and Democratic-controlled Congress been considered to be the most effective government in the last 40-50 years?

Or Clinton-GOP?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #3805
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
47%! Finally!

I thought that was really well done strategically, drop it right at the buzzer with no chance for Romney to deliver his canned response.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #3806
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Definitely 1-1 in the debates, wonder if we'll see a similar swing to what we saw after the first debate.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #3807
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Or Clinton-GOP?

SI

True. I trying to remember where I read that view though.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #3808
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No worse than Obama's budget.

No. Obama's budget doesn't scare me nearly as much.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #3809
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Difference between Dems and GOP:

Dems always worry they lost.

GOP always insist they won.

Fox sure isn't engaging in the doomsday talk of MSNBC after debate 1.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #3810
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Difference between Dems and GOP:

Dems always worry they lost.

GOP always insist they won.

Fox sure isn't engaging in the doomsday talk of MSNBC after debate 1.

Well, even Fox can't call it for Mitt, they are generally calling it a draw (with some voices saying that Obama won).

And while it was a little overblown, anytime the polls switch to a point where your chance of winning the presidential race has dropped 20-25%, you have to be worried.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #3811
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
No. Obama's budget doesn't scare me nearly as much.

Yikes. Both budgets suck. Neither candidate/party want to make the hard choices, and will curry favor to their interests.

I hate that a guy like Jon Huntsman couldn't get traction.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #3812
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The beauty of FOFC political threads is going back like 5 pages and nobody who actually lives in a legit swing state posts.

And I can't believe the presidency will swing on Ohio. Ohio, the land of urban decay, truck nuts, rebel flags and teenage pregnancy.

Welcome to America!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #3813
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The beauty of FOFC political threads is going back like 5 pages and nobody who actually lives in a legit swing state posts.

And I can't believe the presidency will swing on Ohio. Ohio, the land of urban decay, truck nuts, rebel flags and teenage pregnancy.

Welcome to America!

And heroin. And meth. Lots of it. (at least in my portion of the state)
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #3814
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I forgot...FUPA by the ton.

America's trailer park.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #3815
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Welcome to America!

Whoa, whoa - Alabama wants a word or 6 with you, as does Mississippi.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #3816
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
And heroin. And meth. Lots of it. (at least in my portion of the state)

And The Ohio State University.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #3817
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Not to mention the Cleveland Browns. And the Cleveland Indians. Not to mention, the Cleveland Post-Lebrons.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #3818
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Romney will never be cool until he switches to using this Trapper Keeper.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #3819
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Not to mention the Cleveland Browns. And the Cleveland Indians. Not to mention, the Cleveland Post-Lebrons.

and the Clevelnd guys that work at the cleveland hotspots.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #3820
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

Those arent swing states.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #3821
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

Isn't assuming Alabama as being able to muster six words a bit generous?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #3822
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

"Roll Tide, uh... Roll Tide! Roll Tide!"
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #3823
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

well, "y'all" counts as two
Old 10-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #3824
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

And now back to those three little words I always love hearing..."Previously on Lost"
Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #3825
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm guessing Obama will get a +2 out of this performance in the polling. He wins simply because he at the very least held his own. People needed to see him engaged, unbroken.

That would take the election out of the realm of where a reasonable simulation would find Romney winning a significant amount of the time. I think Romney was at 30% going into today - 2% would take him into the low single digits.

So he'll need a win on Monday to put the states in play that he needs in order to win the election. Mainly Ohio. I think Obama's firewall in Pennsylvania is moving into safe territory. Either this is a nail-biter or it's a relatively easy win for Obama in November.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #3826
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I'm guessing Obama will get a +2 out of this performance in the polling. He wins simply because he at the very least held his own. People needed to see him engaged, unbroken.

That would take the election out of the realm of where a reasonable simulation would find Romney winning a significant amount of the time. I think Romney was at 30% going into today - 2% would take him into the low single digits.

So he'll need a win on Monday to put the states in play that he needs in order to win the election. Mainly Ohio. I think Obama's firewall in Pennsylvania is moving into safe territory. Either this is a nail-biter or it's a relatively easy win for Obama in November.

So either one of them will win or the other won't.
And It will be close unless it's not. Great reporting Sol! Keep up the good work!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #3827
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I don't think this is as cut and dry as everyone is making out here. My wife, who is undecided, early on though Romney was clearly coming out ahead, and was calling out the moderator as being very pro-Obama. Also, Obama not letting Romney finish she thought was a very pro-dick move.

However, late in the debate, she thought Romney ran out of steam. However, she still had a bad taste in her mouth about Romney.

From my point of view, I though Romney hammered Obama on his record. Obama still does not have an answer for why he didn't do some of these things his first term. However, Obama slammed Romney hard on Libya. Plus, holding the 47% until his final statement was very good because that is the last thing most people heard from either candidate.

All in all, people are going to say Obama rebounded from his first debate performance. The backers of either candidate can say their candidate did well. I think that most of the undecideds will break towards Romney since he came across very presidential throughout the debate. EDIT: More presidential than Obama who came across as too much on the attack and not having a great deal of respect for his opponent.

Last edited by Warhammer : 10-16-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #3828
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
So either one of them will win or the other won't.
And It will be close unless it's not. Great reporting Sol! Keep up the good work!

I realize I was introducing a couple of complex concepts in that post. Don't worry if you didn't catch that, I look at things from a simulation perspective rather than a political one.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #3829
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
. I think that most of the undecideds will break towards Romney since he came across very presidential throughout the debate. EDIT: More presidential than Obama who came across as too much on the attack and not having a great deal of respect for his opponent.

Really???
Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #3830
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I just want to know how Obama was supposed to get things done when the republicans did everything they could to shut down every bill he tried to pass. They blatantly made every effort they could to stymie any forward movement so they could use it later in this kind of argument. The "He had 4 years and didn't get anything done" thing is a ridiculous statement to make. He can't vote for those who would conspire to make him look bad with no regard for the well being of the constituents they represent and the country they govern.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #3831
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I just want to know how Obama was supposed to get things done when the republicans did everything they could to shut down every bill he tried to pass. They blatantly made every effort they could to stymie any forward movement so they could use it later in this kind of argument. The "He had 4 years and didn't get anything done" thing is a ridiculous statement to make. He can't vote for those who would conspire to make him look bad with no regard for the well being of the constituents they represent and the country they govern.

Obama had a Democratic-controlled Congress the first two years.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #3832
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post

yup exactly. All that blocking and filibustering everything in site without even discussing shit then blaming him for the problems. Total politics.
Was just reading this about just that issue.

Senate Republicans Block Another Jobs Bill, Face Backlash From American Public
Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #3833
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

For what snap polls are worth....
Colorado voters give Obama a 48/44 victory in the debate- more importantly 58/36 among independents. Sample is R+3

@ppppolls via web

CNN: 46-39 Obama win. Among debate watchers, which isn't representative of overall audience.

@jedlewison via Twitter for Mac The sample of debate watchers was EIGHT points more Republican than the general public, per CNN polling. So even this heavily GOP group gave the victory to Obama.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #3834
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quick turnaround on factchecking that's fo sho! Very good read.

ThinkProgress Liveblogs The Second Presidential Debate | ThinkProgress
Old 10-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #3835
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Wolf Blitzer is such a moron. The CNN poll shows a 46-39 victory for Obama in an R+8 sample and he calls it a draw because he thinks you add the 8 points to the Republican. Spare me this bullshit about CNN being liberally biased.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #3836
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Really???

I'm basing a lot of this on my wife. Plus, I was watching this with my son who is extremely anti-Obama and had to vouch for Obama when he was making some good points (need to keep things on an even keel so my son can learn to see past his own bias).

I think the moderator bias will work against Obama for many undecideds. He came off as too aggressive early (I was wondering if someone was talking in his ear as he backed way off about 1/3 of the way in). My wife felt that Romney was firm in fighting for what he felt was his time and his chance for a retort. Obama flat out calling Romney a liar or saying that Romney was lying is not good form. It works for the base, but it won't work well for the undecideds.

Also, let's not forget, prior to the debate, everyone was saying that Obama was going to win this one because he had the most room for improvement. I think a lot of the reason for the pundits saying he won was a self-fulfilling prophecy. By my own score, I felt Romney was winning for 3/4 of the debate, but sputtered at the end. Obama came back and had the one zinger at the end that will be remembered regarding the 47%. This was as close to a draw as you could get.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #3837
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wolf Blitzer is such a moron. The CNN poll shows a 46-39 victory for Obama in an R+8 sample and he calls it a draw because he thinks you add the 8 points to the Republican. Spare me this bullshit about CNN being liberally biased.

There is no accounting for being a moron.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #3838
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Obama flat out calling Romney a liar or saying that Romney was lying is not good form. It works for the base, but it won't work well for the undecideds. .

So people in your family (note I'm not saying you because I'm not sure you were saying it was you) don't think that it's proper to point out when other people are lying?? Especially when they're intentionally misleading people to try to gain an advantage?

Old 10-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #3839
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think the three most memorable sound bytes that will get replayed favored Obama (the 47% conclusion, Crowley correcting Romney on the Libya/terrorism point, and 5 point plan/1 point plan canned line).

I think Romney looked "presidential" well enough for the most part (particularly early on, before the Libya misstep, which seemed to shake him up). I'd agree with Jim. I think it stops the Obama bleeding and tilts the polls toward him a point or two.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #3840
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Obama had a Democratic-controlled Congress the first two years.

Filibuster?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #3841
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
So people in your family (note I'm not saying you because I'm not sure you were saying it was you) don't think that it's proper to point out when other people are lying?? Especially when they're intentionally misleading people to try to gain an advantage?

In a debate format, no. Obama could have been called a liar several times as well, but I would never go out and call someone a flat out liar in a debate, it is poor form. "I'm sorry Mr. Governor, you need to check your facts. Here's what we have."
Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #3842
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Filibuster?

Still doesn't mean anything.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #3843
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Still doesn't mean anything.

It doesn't mean anything that you need 60 votes for anything rather than 50?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 10-16-2012 at 11:41 PM.
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #3844
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In a debate format, no. Obama could have been called a liar several times as well, but I would never go out and call someone a flat out liar in a debate, it is poor form. "I'm sorry Mr. Governor, you need to check your facts. Here's what we have."

Strongly disagree.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #3845
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
It doesn't mean anything that you need 60 votes for anything rather than 50?

The Dems had 59 seats-60, if you want to count Joe Lieberman, but that may depend on the particular issue.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-16-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #3846
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
The Dems had 59 seats-60, if you want to count Joe Lieberman, but that may depend on the particular issue.

If that's the standard they didn't have 60 for two years, they had it for 8 months. In reality it was even less as Ted Kennedy's health prevented him from being present in the senate before his death.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #3847
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Update Your Browser | Facebook

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 10-17-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #3848
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Crap this is fast

Binders Full Of Women
Old 10-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #3849
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Welcome to America!

I didn't have computer access (though I don't know if Wisconsin is 'swing state' these days).

I will say my favorite moment of the debate wasn't what either candidate said, exactly.

It was when President Obama said that Governor Romney's budget math doesn't add up. He responds with "It absolutely does add up."

The 4 year old watching the debate with the three of us adults stands up, gestures dramatically to the TV screen, and yells "SHOW ME THE MATH!"

The living room lost it at that point. I'm not voting for Romney, and I knew that before tonight, but I have to admit - I couldn't take Romney seriously after that the rest of the night, because the toddler kept repeating the gesture-and-say-something after he'd very seriously try to make a point. What she said varied, but that was the point at which the debate went from 'mee-ow' at the back-and-forth to 'oh god this is hilarious'.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #3850
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hope she doesn't trip over her own feet while backtracking. Err, well, actually, that might be kinda funny.

CNN's Candy Crowley: Romney Was Actually Right On Libya - YouTube