Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-21-2021, 10:30 AM   #3801
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
What about Gavin Newsome? I know another white guy, who I am sure doesn’t meet Rainmaker’s progressive purity test but who else is there?
I don't know enough about him. I think I am probably were the majority of people in America are with him: he is the governor of California who nearly got impeached. That is the extent of my knowledge.
I think (and honestly it would probably be preferable) that the person does not have to be white or male. If it is a POC or female, they are going to have to have Obama level charisma.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:42 AM   #3802
kingfc22
Head Coach

He was never close to being impeached. The vote was 62-38.

CA GOP was successful in wasting millions of tax dollars
Old 11-21-2021, 10:56 AM   #3803
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

Again, I'm saying national perception not what actually happened. All the press going into the vote was that the polls were tight.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:57 AM   #3804
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

Grants comments illustrate why he can't be a viable candidate. Perception is more important than facts or reality
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:03 AM   #3805
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Grants comments illustrate why he can't be a viable candidate. Perception is more important than facts or reality
Eh, I'm not saying he is nonviable. Just that he has a perception to overcome. Just about any candidate will unless they are a complete unknown.
Old 11-21-2021, 11:15 AM   #3806
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

FWIW, on the recall it depends when you were paying attention. A month out the polls were close. In the last week or two they were not and there was wall-to-wall coverage of 'looks like Newsom will remain in office and it won't be close'. Which is what happened. More important is why the polls were initially close; there have been periods where a lot of Californians weren't happy with what Newsom was doing. The challenge for him would be running on that record is a less liberal environment.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:35 AM   #3807
Edward64
Head Coach

The best option is for Biden to provide opportunities for Kamala to shine. There's another 2 years to pump her up.

Admittedly Immigration reform is a lightning rod that could work for/against her so get her something else - overseeing the BBB stuff while Mayor Pete is dealing with the infrastructure stuff.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 05:05 AM   #3808
Edward64
Head Coach

With the House's version of BBB

Quote:
Affordable Care Act. For people who buy their health insurance through the ACA marketplaces, the BBB legislation would extend the federal premium subsidy and other financial enhancements made under the American Rescue Plan through 2025. For those 50-64 years of age, these subsidies provide an average savings of over $950 annually, and all consumers will continue to pay no more than 8.5 percent of their income on ACA health insurance premiums. The bill also would offer tax credits for ACA premiums to people who live in states that have not expanded their Medicaid coverage under the ACA but would otherwise qualify for the program.

The 8.5% max is with the "benchmark" plan which is the Silver plan option and appeared in the earlier Rescue plan this year. This is great news for me as it adds another +3 years (to 2025).

This definitely helps the non-government, early retirees (e.g. before Medicare 65) and I think helps the gig economy folks. Unsure if it helps small businesses. But overall, think this is a great step in making healthcare costs more affordable for some more groups of people.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:56 AM   #3809
GrantDawg

Biden running in 2024 confirmed by Psaki.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:53 AM   #3810
Kodos
Resident Alien

Seems early to make that decision.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:44 AM   #3811
spleen1015
Coordinator

We need someone other than these old geezers running for president. I don't think Biden is going to make it to 2024 as president let along run again.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #3812
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
We need someone other than these old geezers running for president. I don't think Biden is going to make it to 2024 as president let along run again.

Other than his age what leads you to that conclusion?
Old 11-23-2021, 09:23 AM   #3813
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
The best option is for Biden to provide opportunities for Kamala to shine. There's another 2 years to pump her up.

Admittedly Immigration reform is a lightning rod that could work for/against her so get her something else - overseeing the BBB stuff while Mayor Pete is dealing with the infrastructure stuff.

Kamala drawing 1% or less last spring means she's not likely to ever be electable.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:28 AM   #3814
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Other than his age what leads you to that conclusion?

Just all the shit that comes from being old. It's obvious he's not what he used to be mentally.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:31 AM   #3815
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Just all the shit that comes from being old. It's obvious he's not what he used to be mentally.

Other than him occasionally pausing when he speaks what indication do you have he is declining? Not to mention, if Trump is opposing him Biden is light years more mentally stable.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:40 AM   #3816
spleen1015
Coordinator

Did you watch the Town Hall a few months ago?

Trump is an old geezer too. We need better options than either one of these guys.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:54 AM   #3817
PilotMan
Head Coach

What do you mean? These are clearly the ONLY two people in the entire county who should be getting votes! There are literally no other options!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:05 AM   #3818
Kodos
Resident Alien

And votes should only be considered legitimate if they were cast for Trump!
Old 11-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #3819
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
What do you mean? These are clearly the ONLY two people in the entire county who should be getting votes! There are literally no other options!

Is Kanye running again? He's looking better and better with each passing day.

Or maybe Andrew Yang? He formed his own party right?
Old 11-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #3820
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Kamala drawing 1% or less last spring means she's not likely to ever be electable.
I buy that Kamala has problems, but I don't buy this argument. She was one of a couple dozen candidates and not well known among non-politically aware people nationally. If things follow historical patterns, she will face a much smaller field for nomination, is now more of an household name, and will likely have the party apparatus behind her. I think her baggage could holder her back, but I don't think the last election means very much to the next one.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:26 PM   #3821
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Is Kanye running again? He's looking better and better with each passing day.

Or maybe Andrew Yang? He formed his own party right?

Kanye is dead to me. He is nothing without Kim.

Will Yang's UBI also apply to retirees? If so, I'll vote for him.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:05 PM   #3822
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I buy that Kamala has problems, but I don't buy this argument. She was one of a couple dozen candidates and not well known among non-politically aware people nationally. If things follow historical patterns, she will face a much smaller field for nomination, is now more of an household name, and will likely have the party apparatus behind her. I think her baggage could holder her back, but I don't think the last election means very much to the next one.

She's Hillary 2.0 as far as anyone on the right is concerned. Some ambitious woman who doesn't know or understand her place and is trying to 'make' something of herself.

Like Steam?

Old 11-23-2021, 03:11 PM   #3823
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

This. Biden hardly got any votes in the 2008 primaries yet now he is president.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:04 PM   #3824
lungs
Pro Rookie

I sometimes wonder if Dan Price isn’t setting himself up for some kind of political future. Then again, I see he’s got some pretty bad allegations against him by his ex-wife. I do love his progressive populist message and ability to convey that message.

I wish Biden wouldn’t run again. I don’t think Kamala is a winning pick, either.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #3825
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The GOP:

Quote:
On Newsmax, Lauren Boebert challenges Madison Cawthorn to a sprint, with the winner getting to have Kyle Rittenhouse as their intern
Old 11-24-2021, 12:46 AM   #3826
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Democrats are in a bind because they refused to allow any young politicians to shine. It was more important to have Nancy stick around to run her insider trading scams and keep taxes down for her wealthy friends.

To win under the electoral college, you have to do well in the Midwest and Rust Belt. Newsom stands no chance there. He'll be portrayed as an elitist Californian from San Francisco who is out of touch with the people (this is partially true).

Harris has an uphill battle as a woman and PoC. She had a sketchy run as Attorney General and is just terrible at politics. But the nomination will be handed to her if Biden doesn't run. She'll toe the establishment line which is more important than winning to the party.

I think the stink of the pandemic is going to hurt any Governor from running. Even if it isn't their fault, there is just too much anger over how things went down that I think the public will crave an outsider (sort of like we saw in Virginia). That would knock out people like Whitmer.

They're in pretty deep shit with the way things are going. Especially with how many of those battleground states are being setup to overturn election results the ruling party does not approve of.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:07 AM   #3827
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Now if I was the Democrats and hellbent on winning, my pick would be Mark Kelly. Hasn't been in politics long enough to get any stink on him. Popular in a battleground state. And boy does he have a narrative that works on a national level.

How do you attack him? Son of two police officers which makes it tough to pull the soft on crime card. Distinguished military career and was an astronaut for heaven sake. Wife was nearly assassinated and he stood by her through it all.

Doesn't have a long enough voting record to tear apart. Mostly moderate in his policies but also tosses some bones to progressives.

I don't think policy matters much anymore. It's all about narratives and likability. Who in that party can come close to Kelly?

Now if things were totally underwater for Democrats going into 2024, a hailmary pick would be Mark Cuban. Just a guy who will throw punches and doesn't have much affiliation to the party. Basically a complete outsider who might strike a nerve and win. And it doesn't hurt that he has a ton of money to self-fund and wouldn't be as beholden to donors.

Not saying those are my picks, just the ones that would have the best shot to win (Cuban is only an option if Dems are just getting leveld in the polls).
Old 11-24-2021, 01:17 AM   #3828
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
This. Biden hardly got any votes in the 2008 primaries yet now he is president.

Biden went up against a juggernaut (Obama) and an establishment candidate (Clinton). Harris was up against a really weak class and got stomped.

Biden also remained very likable throughout his VP tenure. He's a savvy politician. Complete opposite of Harris.

Biden opting not to run in 2016 will end up being one of this country's biggest turning points. He would have mopped the floor with Trump. The rise of authoritarianism and fascism never come to fruition. Hundreds of thousands of lives would have been saved. Just crazy to think about when seeing the direction the country is going.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:11 AM   #3829
GrantDawg

God, Rainmaker. I just about agree with all of that. I love the idea of Mark Kelly. I agree that Biden not running in 2016 was a huge mistake.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2021, 05:30 AM   #3830
Edward64
Head Coach

Interesting move, seems totally unnecessary (e.g. no pressure to invite Taiwan and Taiwan probably wouldn't have been put out) but pretty significant poke in the eye.

Overall, I like Biden's approach. Keep Trump's sanctions but also doing somethings that Trump didn't do (or do well) ... coalescing other countries such as AUKUS, the Quad, Taiwan, ASEAN summit etc.

Assume this is more Blinken than Biden. But Biden obviously supports. Decoupling continues.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/24/bide...democracy.html
Quote:
The Biden administration has invited Taiwan to its “Summit for Democracy” next month, according to a list of participants published on Tuesday, a move likely to infuriate China, which views the democratically governed island as its territory.

The first-of-its-kind gathering is a test of President Joe Biden’s assertion, announced in his first foreign policy address in office in February, that he would return the United States to global leadership to face down authoritarian forces led by China and Russia.

There are 110 participants on the State Department’s invitation list for the virtual event on Dec. 9 and 10, which aims to help stop democratic backsliding and the erosion of rights and freedoms worldwide. The list does not include China or Russia.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:11 AM   #3831
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
God, Rainmaker. I just about agree with all of that. I love the idea of Mark Kelly. I agree that Biden not running in 2016 was a huge mistake.

I would love to see Mark Kelly, he is very popular here and hard to tear down, plus his wife was popular when she was in office as well. Military vet and as RM said, nothing in his record to serve as fodder for the GOP propaganda machine, dude is sharp and would dismantle Trump in debates.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:31 AM   #3832
Edward64
Head Coach

Fascinating article on the Quad vs China, game theory, and predictions of near term environment. No idea how really valid it is but still worth the read for me.

India, Japan, Australia and US. Japan and Australia are taken for granted. India is the key IMO. Considering how well Trump did in India, unsure how well Biden will do there. But all moving in right direction.

Biden is not supportive of TPP "as it stands". Good to see he is taking his own route.

Game Theory Feature
Old 11-24-2021, 06:38 AM   #3833
spleen1015
Coordinator

Dems definitely need someone who can counter punch Trump, not just stand there and smile or say "Will you shut up, man!".
Old 11-24-2021, 06:55 AM   #3834
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Dems definitely need someone who can counter punch Trump, not just stand there and smile or say "Will you shut up, man!".

Disagree.

Why would you want someone who is going to be dragged to Trumps level and engage in that garbage?

There is no counter punching Trump. You need to let him ramble and come off like the bumbling idiot he is. The only counter to trump is the truth, and we all already know the right has zero interest in that.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:15 AM   #3835
PilotMan
Head Coach

Strictly from a personality perspective, a charismatic performer who can deliver a long string of on the spot one liners is really what they need. Think Al Franken.

Like Steam?

Old 11-24-2021, 07:43 AM   #3836
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Disagree.

Why would you want someone who is going to be dragged to Trumps level and engage in that garbage?

There is no counter punching Trump. You need to let him ramble and come off like the bumbling idiot he is. The only counter to trump is the truth, and we all already know the right has zero interest in that.

Where did I say I wanted someone who will be dragged down to Trump levels?

You can be someone who stands up to Trump's bull shit instead of standing there stunned like Biden did or stand there and smile like Harris will do and not stoop to his level.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #3837
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I think we can all agree that the anti-gerrymandering amendment to the Ohio constitution approved by voters has backfired spectacularly and will only make the problem worse.

Basically instead getting to redraw the map every 10 years, the majority party gets to fine tune their map every 4 years.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #3838
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

In a few states, the GOP has been remarkably effective by saying fuck you after voters pass a non-partisan redistricting commission.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:30 AM   #3839
spleen1015
Coordinator

It is the only way they can win elections.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:40 AM   #3840
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I saw something that ballparked the GOP will win about 80-85% of congressional districts with about 54% registered Republicans.

Edit- in OH.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-24-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:58 AM   #3841
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I saw an estimate that only 10% or so of Congressional districts will be competitive after redistricting is complete. We really don't have much of a democracy anymore.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #3842
GrantDawg

Absolutely. I wish we could basically create a majority 50-50 make up districts. Most congressmen should have to win a district that is competitive. It would radically change how congress works.

Old 11-24-2021, 03:10 PM   #3843
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

One solution is to expand the House. This makes it harder to gerrymander.

The current government is a democracy in name only. The House is heavily skewed through gerrymandering. The Senate is undemocratic by design. And the same can be said for the electoral college.

I can't think of a country where you can have minority rule of each branch of government for long periods of time. And if we start disregarding elections entirely as one party wants to do, I don't know what we are.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:53 PM   #3844
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree that Biden not running in 2016 was a huge mistake.

Beau died in May 2015. Biden admits that he was no where near the right mind space to run in 2016 as a result.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2021, 03:54 PM   #3845
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would pay good money to see Lauren Boebert and Jen Psaki Jello wrestle in bikinis.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:08 PM   #3846
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I would pay good money to see Lauren Boebert and Jen Psaki Jello wrestle in bikinis.

Can Tulsi Gabbert be the guest bikini clad referee?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:10 PM   #3847
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Democracy has failed. We need a Jello-wrestlocracy!!
Old 11-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #3848
Edward64
Head Coach

With the recent change in "qualifying for HoN", the Lauren pics are conservative . Therefore, she is not putting herself out on public domain to be judged on her looks & body.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:24 PM   #3849
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Can Tulsi Gabbert be the guest bikini clad referee?

abso-fucking-lutly
Old 11-24-2021, 05:28 PM   #3850
GrantDawg

Yall are saying the quiet part out loud.