Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #3751
QuikSand
lolzcat

This sort of conversation is just going to be endemic with him. He doesn't read, he doesn't have any interest in learning about history, policy, or government. He's just not that person.

When he talks about these things, he just slides into bullshit mode. Maybe he heard something, somewhere, about Jackson having opinions on the political divides that eventually led up to the Civil War. And he wanted to say something that sounded vaguely insightful. But to a guy like Trump, even that phrase right there "political divides that eventually led up to the Civil War" is beyond his grasp. He's not a 9-word guy, he's a 2-word guy.

Not saying he doesn't deserve the ridicule he's going to get for this. Just saying it's not as simple and fixable as someone who is ignorant of something specific... this isn't Dan Quayle and "potatoe" written on the card handed to him. Trump is a willfully and enthusiastically ignorant person, and that is the root cause for a ton of his flip-flops and gaffes, and will continue for as long as he remains near a microphone.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #3752
Thomkal
Head Coach

I just cannot believe his level of ignorance and arrogance. I'm sure if he was alive then, he would have solved things in five minutes and there would have not have been a civil war. The only reason he was talking about Andrew Jackson was for the photo op, PR, and giving a speech in Tennessee.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #3753
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
To me, the idea that Jackson thinks Trump was alive during the Civil War is not nearly as bad as his idea that pro-slavery Jackson should've been President during that time or the idiotic assertion that no one asks about why was there a Civil War.

yes I guess my six years of college where I studied the Civil War extensively were a failure because I never asked why.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #3754
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
This sort of conversation is just going to be endemic with him. He doesn't read, he doesn't have any interest in learning about history, policy, or government. He's just not that person.

When he talks about these things, he just slides into bullshit mode. Maybe he heard something, somewhere, about Jackson having opinions on the political divides that eventually led up to the Civil War. And he wanted to say something that sounded vaguely insightful. But to a guy like Trump, even that phrase right there "political divides that eventually led up to the Civil War" is beyond his grasp. He's not a 9-word guy, he's a 2-word guy.

Not saying he doesn't deserve the ridicule he's going to get for this. Just saying it's not as simple and fixable as someone who is ignorant of something specific... this isn't Dan Quayle and "potatoe" written on the card handed to him. Trump is a willfully and enthusiastically ignorant person, and that is the root cause for a ton of his flip-flops and gaffes, and will continue for as long as he remains near a microphone.

You're trying too hard Quick. I agree with you and your analysis is spot on, but the only thing that is going to give this the play it deserves is if it's treated with the incredible disdain that it deserves with unrelenting abuse and vilification of the man in charge. His off the cuff, bullying and general ignorance on things he doesn't really care about or care to know about only reinforce to his supporters that feelings about things are much more important than facts. So you respond to that with more feelings and humiliation, because that's how you deal with that personality. He doesn't give 2 shits about what the facts are if he thinks what he meant is more important, even if he was completely, factually wrong. Which would imply that his feelings were predicated on a false belief, but again, his reality is his truth. Steve Jobs was famous for this line of thinking, and he used it to create things that were life altering and move people to his cause. With Trump, his movement is to tear down. You have to call him names, and keep the tide of humiliation rushing against him. He responds to that. Not that it'll change him, but it'll keep drawing out that idiot that resides inside.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #3755
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

I think Andrew Jackson was alive when that show started
Old 05-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #3756
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
You're trying too hard Quick. I agree with you and your analysis is spot on, but the only thing that is going to give this the play it deserves is if it's treated with the incredible disdain that it deserves with unrelenting abuse and vilification of the man in charge. His off the cuff, bullying and general ignorance on things he doesn't really care about or care to know about only reinforce to his supporters that feelings about things are much more important than facts. So you respond to that with more feelings and humiliation, because that's how you deal with that personality. He doesn't give 2 shits about what the facts are if he thinks what he meant is more important, even if he was completely, factually wrong. Which would imply that his feelings were predicated on a false belief, but again, his reality is his truth. Steve Jobs was famous for this line of thinking, and he used it to create things that were life altering and move people to his cause. With Trump, his movement is to tear down. You have to call him names, and keep the tide of humiliation rushing against him. He responds to that. Not that it'll change him, but it'll keep drawing out that idiot that resides inside.

He is the guy that recently said our government system is archaic because it has a system of checks and balances in place. The fact that he can't act as dictator is bad for the country.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #3757
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

As pointed out by Josh Marshall, Trump knows nothing, but thinks he's the smartest person in the room, so when he learns something that everyone else already knew he acts as if he's got some special insight no one else has had. I think it's possible that he really thinks he has something smart to say about Jackson.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #3758
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

fits
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #3759
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So Trump told Bloomberg he'd be open to an increase in the gas tax to pay for an infrastructure package.

If the Dems somehow take both houses of Congress in 2018, I'm going to predict Trump will pass pass far more legislation than in his first two years. I expect he'll largely abandon his current platform and become a Bloomberg style independent. Or he'll get impeached and go to jail. One of those two.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #3760
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

It really is turning into Elmer Gantry. Trump is way more religious than political. The near absolute reliance of emotional appeals on the mythos of America exposes our hypocrisy that rational dialogue and pragmatism are essential qualities we demand in our leaders. In other words, he is exposing human truth:that which gives us the most meaning is mostly abstract.

“He had learned how to assemble Jewish texts, Greek philosophy, and Middle-Western evangelistic anecdotes into a sermon. And he had learned that poverty was blessed, but that bankers make the best deacons.”

“And when Elmer was about to slip out to the kitchen with her to make lemonade, Benham held him by demanding, 'What do you think of John Wesley's doctrine of perfection?'
'Oh, it's absolutely sound and proven,' admitted Elmer, wondering what the devil Mr. Wesley's doctrine of perfection might be.”

Besides, I'm for a free press, for free enterprise... and for whatever the hell the other freedoms are!
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:51 PM   #3761
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It's a big fuck you to big blue states, but those states send a lot of GOP reps to congress. The @30 GOP reps from NY, NJ and CA are going to be a tough sell for any tax bill that eliminates that deduction.

True, but there are a lot of purple states with relatively high state income tax rates. Can't see it going over well in an upcoming election. Iowa and Minnesota get close to 9%. North Carolina and Virginia are over 5%. South Carolina gets to 7%. Even Georgia is at 6%.

I mean it'll get it's votes but I have to imagine that'll be a breaking point for a lot of GOP congressman. How does a rep in Georgia explain to his constituents that their tax bill is going up a few hundred bucks next year?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #3762
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

The weird thing about the Jackson comments is he claimed to have read a book on Jackson a couple months ago.

For anyone interested in Jackson, Robert Remini's "The Life of Andrew Jackson" is phenomenal. It's an abridged version of a trilogy he wrote. Jackson is one of the most fascinating individuals in American history.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:01 PM   #3763
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The weird thing about the Jackson comments is he claimed to have read a book

LOLOL
Old 05-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #3764
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Trump says he would be honored to meet with Kim Jong-Un.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
So Trump told Bloomberg he'd be open to an increase in the gas tax to pay for an infrastructure package.

If the Dems somehow take both houses of Congress in 2018, I'm going to predict Trump will pass pass far more legislation than in his first two years. I expect he'll largely abandon his current platform and become a Bloomberg style independent. Or he'll get impeached and go to jail. One of those two.

Spicer walked this back at the press conference.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #3765
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Trump says he would be honored to meet with Kim Jong-Un.

Spicer walked this back at the press conference.

Yeah. I just think that with the Dem congress, Trump would sign a lot of bills that wouldn't fit with today's version of Trump.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #3766
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post

fits

So does this one...

Dumb and Dumber - We Landed on the Moon! - YouTube
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:51 PM   #3767
Atocep
Coordinator

Did Trump get anything he wanted in the new budget? Obamacare still funded, planned parenthood funded, increases to science and research funding, increase in education funding, and no wall.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:01 PM   #3768
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

1% cut for the EPA, more money for defense and border security. Think that's it.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #3769
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
1% cut for the EPA, more money for defense and border security. Think that's it.

Didn't he ask for a 30%+ cut to the epa though?
Old 05-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #3770
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Rep. Mo Brooks R-AL

Quote:
“My understanding is that it will allow insurance companies to require people who have higher health care costs to contribute more to the insurance pool that helps offset all these costs, thereby reducing the cost to those people who lead good lives, they’re healthy, you know, they are doing the things to keep their bodies healthy,” he said. “And right now, those are the people who have done things the right way that are seeing their costs skyrocketing.”

That isn't a winning political message.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #3771
QuikSand
lolzcat

Alabama, so well known for its residents and their deep commitment to "doing the things to keep their bodies healthy."

Quote:
The Most and Least Obese States in America—Ranked!

5 Alabama
[33.5% obese]

Alabama’s obesity rate has been climbing since the 1990s, and you can tell by the adult hypertension rate—40.3%! That’s second in the nation, after West Virginia.

The Most and Least Obese States in America—Ranked! | Eat This Not That

Liberal propaganda, I know, I know.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:59 PM   #3772
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Alabama, so well known for its residents and their deep commitment to "doing the things to keep their bodies healthy."

The Most and Least Obese States in America—Ranked! | Eat This Not That

Liberal propaganda, I know, I know.

I didn't feel like scrolling through 9,000 pictures, do they actually link to the study anywhere? Sorry if I don't believe what looks like a money making blog with linked headlines like "The Best and Worst McDonald's Breakfasts - Ranked!" It also talks about completely debunked crap like cleanses and literally everything that is linked has an exclamation point after it.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 05-01-2017 at 08:02 PM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #3773
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
I didn't feel like scrolling through 9,000 pictures, do they actually link to the study anywhere? Sorry if I don't believe what looks like a money making blog with linked headlines like "The Best and Worst McDonald's Breakfasts - Ranked!" It also talks about completely debunked crap like cleanses and literally everything that is linked has an exclamation point after it.

Adult Obesity in the United States: The State of Obesity

There are dozens of these and Alabama pretty consistently ranks in the top five. It's neither here nor there, but this isn't exactly a stretch or an alternative fact, bruh.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #3774
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

At least he admitted today that he doesn't stand behind anything he says:

" I don’t stand by anything. I just– you can take it the way you want."

‘I don’t stand by anything’: Trump withers under heat from CBS News’s John Dickerson - The Washington Post
Old 05-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #3775
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Adult Obesity in the United States: The State of Obesity

There are dozens of these and Alabama pretty consistently ranks in the top five. It's neither here nor there, but this isn't exactly a stretch or an alternative fact, bruh.

I'm not disagreeing with the rankings, just the use of a blog full of list posts where several of them are about dietary ideas that have been completely disproven.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:41 PM   #3776
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with the rankings, just the use of a blog full of list posts where several of them are about dietary ideas that have been completely disproven.

It's a website that sells dieting "opportunities" from various franchises.

Right or wrong, it probably isn't going to be the best source for much of anything on a regular basis.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:00 PM   #3777
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

May as well have been the Food Babe or Avocado Wolfe.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:09 PM   #3778
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I'd be curious to see the overall cost of an obese person vs healthy person long term. I remember a study I believe in Sweden that showed smokers actually cost taxpayers less money. Basically if you die at 60 you aren't collecting 20-30 years of social security and using Medicare.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #3779
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bikgLIK9OlU

Start at 3:20 and behold the joy of Trump pretending to work.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:32 PM   #3780
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

Your browsing and clicking preferences are noted. Thanks.

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-03-2017 at 11:59 PM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #3781
PilotMan
Head Coach

Apparently it's handjobs for everyone in the GOP tonight. They say they've got the votes for Trumpcare and will vote tomorrow, before the CBO can score it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:04 AM   #3782
Easy Mac

Quote:
Apparently it's handjobs for everyone in the GOP tonight. They say they've got the votes for Trumpcare and will vote tomorrow, before the CBO can score it.

Its like when I clean the house. Yes, I did a horrible job... and maybe the vacuum no longer works... and maybe I broke a few lamps while dusting... but I cleaned the house. I did something, so my wife should be happy, not mad that we have to buy a new vacuum, new light fixtures, and she has to re-clean the house.

Oh, but I didn't clean my side of the bedroom. It may be dirty, but it still looks cleaner than the rest of the house does now.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #3783
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

40 minutes alloted for discussion before voting on 1/6th of the US economy.

Sounds about right.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #3784
Jas_lov
College Starter

I thought we didn't want to ram bills down people's throats. I don't get why they think they have to do this so quickly and with a slim party line majority. Seems like they're doing the same thing Dems did with Obamacare. Hopefully it dies in the Senate.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #3785
Jas_lov
College Starter

Looks like it's coming up for a vote shortly.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #3786
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Looks like it's coming up for a vote shortly.

It's going to pass. You know a bill is good when it's being pushed through before it's scored and the people voting for it are making themselves exempt.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:18 PM   #3787
miked
College Starter

Wow, they won by a few votes and are now singing, nah nah nah, goodbye. These are the party in charge of your government.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:19 PM   #3788
Jas_lov
College Starter

It passed 217-213. 20 Republicans voted against it.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 05-04-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #3789
Atocep
Coordinator

Well according to Harvard's look into the bill if your household makes less than $75k you likely won't be able to afford Healthcare soon.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #3790
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
It passed 217-213. 20 Republicans voted against it.

As they should have.

Obamacare Lite is nothing to celebrate.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #3791
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
As they should have.

To be fair, a lot of the Republicans who voted no were the moderates you like to hate who think it cut too much .
Old 05-04-2017, 01:39 PM   #3792
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
To be fair, a lot of the Republicans who voted no were the moderates you like to hate who think it cut too much .

Last list I saw (shortly before the vote) had the GOP no's coming largely from my side of the campground. Actual results may vary I guess.

It's a woefully insufficient bad bill that should never have seen the light of day.

Just another in the steadily growing line of missteps from a guy who seems to be living down to some of the more reasonable concerns a number of supporters had. Best of a bad lot of choices, may not amount to much.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #3793
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Last list I saw (shortly before the vote) had the GOP no's coming largely from my side of the campground. Actual results may vary I guess.

Combination maybe. A good portion of the 20 GOP 'no' votes came from NY, NJ, PA. Only ONE member of the Freedom Caucus (Rep Biggs from Arizona) voted no.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #3794
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Old 05-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #3795
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
As they should have.

Millions of poor people will lose coverage, surely that's a start?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #3796
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

In other words, those most concerned about getting beaten.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:25 PM   #3797
Radii
Head Coach

So I wonder with pre-existing conditions, if I'm diagnosed as a diabetic, but have normal A1C values due to diet and need no medication and am told by my doctor to stop coming in for regular diabetic checkups and instead just for a physical once a year, will my insurance still be able to gouge the fuck out of my premium?

OR, do my premiums come down AND I get subsidies (oh sorry, tax credits. Subsidies are evil) and I benefit as someone who uses exchange insurance but makes too much for subsidies on Obamacare by more than double, but who would get a ridiculous tax credit under this new thing.

The bill that comes out of the senate, if anything ever does, won't look anything like this so it doesn't really matter yet. But I can't wait to find out.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #3798
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
In other words, those most concerned about getting beaten.

Well, Ros-Lehtinen already said she's not running in 2018, so she might be in "gives zero fucks" mode
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:26 PM   #3799
Thomkal
Head Coach

The GOP's big lie: Healthcare bill 'protects people with preexisting conditions' - LA Times
Old 05-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #3800
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Wow, they won by a few votes and are now singing, nah nah nah, goodbye. These are the party in charge of your government.
Ummmm...you might want to check your sources there...

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 05-04-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote