Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-28-2006, 07:30 PM   #3751
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Oooooh, I'm terrified.

What's he gonna do? Threaten to release another game?

DEAR GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:33 PM   #3752
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oooooh, I'm terrified.

I didn't say his name is David Banner.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #3753
spcd
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
Yes, that is why I get so frustrated reading posts over there. They are not even attempting to beta test this product and they hate it when someone says something negative about the game (regardless of how much it may help it).

I don't know why it surprises me, given all the other things which have earmarked this as a disaster from the start, but I would have thought that after all the issues Erik and the other testers mysteriously missed, after knowingly indulging in a completely amateur build-build-build with no testing after the game went gold, that they are still doing the same.

I understand that Matrix/Winter have at least tried to get fixes out quickly, but when do any of them realize that what they are doing doesn't work? Unfortunately, this style isn't unique to Winter, but it never, never gets anywhere that couldn't be reached months earlier if it was done right.

I suppose they all think the quickest way out of a maze is simply to run as fast as possible.....or wait for a 3rd party map utility
spcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:43 PM   #3754
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Oooooh, I'm terrified.

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:44 PM   #3755
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcd

I suppose they all think the quickest way out of a maze is simply to run as fast as possible.....or wait for a 3rd party map utility

pretty good, although i might have said "the quickest way out of a hole is to try to dig toeholds in the sand with your fingers...or wait for a 3rd party to throw down a rope"
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:52 PM   #3756
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Pong on the Atari 2600 was much better than this game.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:54 PM   #3757
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Now Elmerlee may be someone here, but I've never seen anyone here post under that name. But of course MaxFanBoy regularly sees him here bashing the game.

you know, when I read that comment over there, my first reaction was that I'd never, ever seen a post by that elmerlee dude. Sure enough, there's an elmerlee registered here, since 2002 actually, but post total shows a big fat zero. Talk about him bashing the game in here...

FM
Old 03-28-2006, 08:06 PM   #3758
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
pretty good, although i might have said "the quickest way out of a hole is to try to dig toeholds in the sand with your fingers...or wait for a 3rd party to throw down a rope"

As long as the 3rd party utility doesn't change the sand into red hot coals and the rope mysteriously turns into dental floss. You know, addons can affect the code in ways the developer never intended!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:15 PM   #3759
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I just finished reading some of the threads over there on the MaxFoot forums and I just had to say

I heart Antmeister71
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:23 PM   #3760
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I didn't say his name is David Banner.

err, Daivd Banner

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #3761
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt
err, Daivd Banner
Dotn make me anrgy. You woulndt like me wehn I'm anrgy.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:27 PM   #3762
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla

No! Hes gettign agnry!!!!!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:58 PM   #3763
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
DEAR GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

From the FAQ at www.maximum-football.com

Quote:
Maximum-Football is going to be the flagship in a line of sports titles for the PC. All bearing the Maximum mark. In the next year you will see Maximum-Hockey and Maximum-Lacrosse. In the distant future I hope to also have Maximum-Baseball.

But for now, Maximum-Football is king.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:01 PM   #3764
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hockey and lacrosse before baseball?? what is this guy...canadian?

definately not a saavy businessman
Old 03-28-2006, 10:06 PM   #3765
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
In the distant future I hope to also have Maximum-Baseball.

Maximu-Baseball must be the next project, it is only in the distant future.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:08 PM   #3766
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
In the distant future I hope to also have Maximum-Baseball.

That reads so wrong...
Old 03-28-2006, 10:13 PM   #3767
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Maximum-football is KING!!!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:30 PM   #3768
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Disclaimer--For the dimwits, I did not make this.

http://www.suicane.com/Max/MaxSam.avi
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:42 PM   #3769
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

classic Sui. man I miss that dude occasionally.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:44 PM   #3770
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar

Well, if you didn't make it for the dimwits, then who did you make it for?
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:58 PM   #3771
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
you know, when I read that comment over there, my first reaction was that I'd never, ever seen a post by that elmerlee dude. Sure enough, there's an elmerlee registered here, since 2002 actually, but post total shows a big fat zero. Talk about him bashing the game in here...

FM

Oooh! Another nominee for Lurker of the Year!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:41 PM   #3772
Dwolfson20
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar

http://www.suicane.com/Max/MaxSam.avi

Nice.
Dwolfson20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:47 PM   #3773
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwolfson20
Nice.

2 posts in 3 years. Impressive.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:53 AM   #3774
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
From the FAQ at www.maximum-football.com

Wait a minute...in the next YEAR? So the idea here is that after taking five years to release one game that's obviously not complete, they're somehow going to release two games in one year? Riight.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:55 AM   #3775
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
This might be the funniest bit of board ignorance since Passacaglia admitted he didn't know what his user name meant.

If only the thread has stayed locked at this point...having the whole MaxFB thread end with a big diss on me would have been the best.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:39 AM   #3776
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla

Will his upper body turn green and his legs turn grey?
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:54 PM   #3777
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Wait a minute...in the next YEAR? So the idea here is that after taking five years to release one game that's obviously not complete, they're somehow going to release two games in one year? Riight.
That FAQ is about 5 years old.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:09 PM   #3778
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Well, here are two unofficial reviews from people who have purchased the game. One somewhat good and one very bad:

http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...d.php?t=162828
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1726
I got Maximum Football Friday afternoon and played with it some this weekend in between family time with my son and wife and typical weekend chores.

I have not played a full half of an actual game, spent most of my time in the play editor figuring things out.

To those that don't know much about it, Max FB is a customizable game that will let you play an Arean league game, a NFL style game, or a CFL game. Basically you have some settable rules and can use 8, 11, or 12 players as well as the appropriate different field sizes.

My initial impressions are good, some things are better than I thought others worse.

Good:
-Player models and graphics are done much better than I would ever have thought. The lighting is pretty good and the models, while only two types (lineman and non lineman) look like NFL Fever 2000 for the PC. Nothing compared to Madden, but better than FB Pro '98.

-The play editor is fairly vast. You can assign several different command points/logic to blockers, recievers, LB's etc... This is better than anything currently out there because your reciever and blocking patterns are not pre-fabbed, but up to you to make. They will follow what you say to a fault, so you have to be on your toes when making the plays.

-With some work the pass plays can look pretty with the QB getting some nice air on the ball like throwing a deep post pattern hitting the WR on the run. This is something I could never do in FB Pro (any version) and even have problems doing it in arcade mode in Madden.

-All art is editable. Stadiums can be made by a 3D editor, but the stadiums incuded with the game are not modifiable. Team logos for the field and jersey's are all editable.

Bad:
-In the play editor, the coverage schemes are basic and somewhat fustrating. You can assign only zone or man 2 man, but can not assign man 2 man on anything that is not a WR. This can cause some wide open guys if you design plays to exploit it.

-Few teams are included. Of course there is no liscense for the game, some CFL, NFL and Arena type teams are included, but only a handfull and none are like their real world counterparts.

-Stock plays are terrible. I have only played a half of a real game due to the plays being so bad and ugly to watch. The stock run plays are acceptable, but the pass ones are not well done. The stock defensive plays look more like somehting you would see in the Pro Bowl than anything else, very vanilla.

-Animations are ugly. They are not motioned capped, meaning the guy had to do them by hand. Because of this they can look silly at times and there are few of them. Some of them look pretty good like the QB ones, but the blocker interaction is not well done and will bother most people. Running animations are poorly done too.

-Only one camera angle. Same angle that Madden uses, raised and behind the QB, can see everyone but the two WRs.

In the end this is a game that competes with the FB Pro crowd. It is in no way meant to be on par with Madden. There is an arcade element, but it is very easy to break the AI by using the joystick, so it is esentially coach mode only. This not a game for the instant gratification crowd since the stock plays and teams are woefull. This is a game that you will have to put much effort into to get anything useable out of it.

For those that want to coach mode and make a play or two but not mess too much with editing, stay away for awhile until all the plays, teams, and art are done by others (as well as patches by Matrix games) to get the game into a workable simulation. For those looking to play arcade style look somewhere else.

For those looking to get rid of FB Pro and jump into the 21st century with football strategy and are willing to go through the early bumps and bruises until things get straightened out this is your game.

Some people are reporting crash bugs, weird season problems etc... I haven't seen any major bugs that keep me from being able to do anything. There are some AI behavior problems mainly with the defensive players that are quirky, but some house rules will have to be figured out when designing plays to keep them from being a problem.

http://www.blindsideblitz.com/forums...ad.php?t=14862
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexan
I am not tied to Matrix Games or need to be 'cordial' and respect friendships with the developer.

That said...
First the bad part:
This game is absolutely atrocious. It looks really really ... really bad. The player animations are not even up to 1995 levels and that's over ten years ago. True they are 3-D contructs and not Wing-Commander/Doom moving 2-D plates, but that still doesn't make you feel any better. For anybody that has played Madden for the past 8 years, this game is going to be insulting.

Even on the Football side of things, Madden plays for more like 'real" football than MaxFB. This is when talking about ball flight, line play, coverage, execution of plays, and so forth. It's important to note because that is what you are going to thinking about when playing the game. Something along the lines of, 'Why should I bother with this instead of Madden?'

I got it and play it solely because it's the only game on the market ( in the world actually ), that allows you a degree of free play design. That in itself is not worth it for playing against yourself. Meaning playing solo with MaxFB is just about as stupid as trying to beat yourself at tic-tac-toe or something. I am hoping that with the small handful of guys that are in the MLF, the price of admission will be worth it.

*The game does allow you to pit your designs against another design in some competitive controlled environment.* ( that's the only selling point for me )

I can't say/review how this is going or will be in the end, because we didn't start yet. I can say that will be crux of the matter/what makes or breaks this game's value. If you win or lose based primarily on your football-like-play designs, then the game is a success.

---

The game can have a heavy CFL element to it and really that's what the guy was trying to do in the first place; make a CFL football game. It allows for too much motion, too few downs, too many yards, too many men, etc. The game doesn't seem to model passing all that well to make the indoor football games that entertaining. Stuff like timed passes, catching on the run, threading coverage, etc.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't throw the 40$ down, if I was on a budget and still had other games to buy. To me the only people that would buy this game to play with themselves are die-hard CFLers.. that's just about the only reason I could see you getting any value out of the game in that manner.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:21 PM   #3779
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ant...even the "good" review isn't good. They're both negative.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:22 PM   #3780
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
Ant...even the "good" review isn't good. They're both negative.

EXACTLY what I was thinking. Rough reviews all around...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:31 PM   #3781
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
This is a game that you will have to put much effort into to get anything useable out of it.

Sounds like a good way to drop $40 to me.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:32 PM   #3782
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Sounds like a good way to drop $40 to me.

Good thing I didn't feel the same way regarding your mom.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:36 PM   #3783
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Good thing I didn't feel the same way regarding your mom.

I'm telling.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:50 PM   #3784
bbor
Pro Starter

Those are not *professional* reviews...right?

Cause that first review needs an editor badly.I can't even take what he says seriously.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:51 PM   #3785
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor

Cause that first review needs an editor badly.I can't even take what he says seriously.

Dave Winters is not a *professional* developer ... right?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:52 PM   #3786
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

"...in the MLF..."

Perhaps this thread will take yet another unexpected, but rather interesting, turn...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:53 PM   #3787
SnDvls
Pro Starter

it sure is gonna suck if bubba comes in and deletes this thread.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:54 PM   #3788
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
David Winters himself is still answering questions, so even he knows that despite the delay this thing is going to be huge when it hits.

It's fun to dig back to the beginnings of this thread...
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:56 PM   #3789
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup

"...in the MLF..."

Perhaps this thread will take yet another unexpected, but rather interesting, turn...

Mexicano Ligua Footballo?
Moms Loathe Fumbling?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:57 PM   #3790
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls
it sure is gonna suck if bubba comes in and deletes this thread.

If he does, he won't have an edit button again.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #3791
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

No...they are from two other message boards.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:00 PM   #3792
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Mexicano Ligua Footballo?
Moms Loathe Fumbling?

You're getting closer with the "moms" reference.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:10 PM   #3793
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
You're getting closer with the "moms" reference.

yeah, it's missing an "I" in there...

FM
Old 03-29-2006, 08:11 PM   #3794
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Quote:

Dave Winters is not a *professional* developer ... right?

LOL!!! for a one minute turnaround, that was quite good

FM
Old 03-29-2006, 08:27 PM   #3795
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
It's fun to dig back to the beginnings of this thread...

Quality pull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:44 PM   #3796
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by reviewer
...playing solo with MaxFB is just about as stupid as trying to beat yourself at tic-tac-toe...

Dude, I almost choked on my diet-Coke.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:48 PM   #3797
Dwolfson20
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
2 posts in 3 years. Impressive.

I try.
Dwolfson20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:55 PM   #3798
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I try.

Hey! You're not related to Calvin Coolidge by chance?
Old 03-29-2006, 08:56 PM   #3799
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I try.

9 words in 3 years. wow.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:56 PM   #3800
spcd
n00b

Quote:
Well, here are two unofficial reviews from people who have purchased the game. One somewhat good and one very bad:

Quote:
I have not played a full half of an actual game

That explains the reasoning behind the good review. As long as no one gets around to playing it then all will be well.

Given that not one of the diehards at Matrix has yet reported playing the damn thing, I would recommend another highly customizbable Football game which will allow them to create uniforms, teams and logos to their heart's content:

http://www.rdg.ac.uk/ITS/info/traini...aint/paint.gif
spcd is offline   Reply With Quote