Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #3751
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Saw Avatar in 3D last night. 7.5/10.

This was my first 3D experience and it was kind of cool, although I think directors need to study this film well and learn some do's and don'ts. There were many cases where the 3D actually detracted from the experience and kind of pulled me out of the film, so to speak. Now, there were also a tonne of places where it was totally awesome, don't get me wrong, but it's not 100% goodness.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:07 AM   #3752
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Sherlock Holmes - 9/10: Exceedingly good movie, though more of a summer blockbuster type. Lots of action, but with some great buildup and demonstration of Holmes' analytical mind. There was concern that it wasn't like the books, but I think those people will be pleased with how the Adler story turned out (Holmes avoided any romantic overtures). The story was quite good as well and a great set up for future sequels. Downey Jr was great as Holmes and Law brilliant as Watson. There was also some very good humor in the interplay between the two principal characters.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:00 AM   #3753
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Sherlock Holmes - 9/10: Exceedingly good movie, though more of a summer blockbuster type. Lots of action, but with some great buildup and demonstration of Holmes' analytical mind. There was concern that it wasn't like the books, but I think those people will be pleased with how the Adler story turned out (Holmes avoided any romantic overtures). The story was quite good as well and a great set up for future sequels. Downey Jr was great as Holmes and Law brilliant as Watson. There was also some very good humor in the interplay between the two principal characters.

I enjoyed it, although I think I will need to see it again to catch up with some of the quick dialogue, especially between Holmes and Watson.

It's funny, though, while I would describe the movie as a whole as nothing much more than a functionally well done blockbuster actioneer, I find myself drifting back to the scene a lot, thinking back on the movie. The 1880s London the set and costume designers built up felt very real and well done. I found it to be fascinating (although again, it's in perspective; while watching the movie, although I certainly noticed the well-designed sets/feel, I didn't think much on it more than anything else until well after the end of the movie).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-27-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:42 AM   #3754
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Mongol (8 out of 10) - For a somewhat low budget epic, this really was well done. The story of Genghis Khan in his early life. Not really historically accurate and plays on some of the myths surrounding his life, but still really good. This is apparently going to be a trilogy with the next movie coming out next year. Looking forward to it as this hit the mark. The only negative I have is that it did tend to drag a bit from time to time and they probably could have cut a scene or two.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #3755
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't care for it. The scenery is the only reason it got 6. The story has been told before, and been told much better. I didn't find that I cared at all about any of the characters. I thought the "acting" was flat. Really, I was bored during the movie. This seems like a good time to also mention that I can't stand Star Wars, so my movie preferences are not in line with what most people like (apparently). A solid "meh" from me.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #3756
rowech
Pro Starter

Christmas Edition

A Christmas Story (10/10) -- It's quirky and I think it's definitely more of a 25-40 male movie but it still gets me every time the dad starts talking about what's in the corner there. I still think the kid did a fantastic job of acting throughout this movie and shines in many scenes.

It's a Wonderful Life (10/10) -- Classic. I can't help but wonder everytime they are singing at the end if they were thinking they had just made the all-time holiday classic movie.

Elf (8/10) -- Not at the level of the others but still very funny at times. Is it wrong that I think this is Will Ferrel's only good movie? (other than his cameo in Wedding Crashers)

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (9/10) -- In a way, watching this so much has made it lose a notch for me. Still funny and still laugh at several places but people are constantly quoting it while it's being watched. So much to the point that it's bordering annoying.

Scrooge (10/10) -- Probably my favorite Christmas movie. It's a little known version from 1970 starting Albert Finney and Sir Alec Guiness. It to me is the most realistic portrayal of England at the time and Finney's performance is nothing short of brilliant. Be warned it is a musical but all the songs except one are great.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #3757
rowech
Pro Starter

Extract (5/10) -- Some chuckles here and there. Mila Kunis and all of her hotness. Just not much of a movie here though. I just don't think as much was pulled out of the cast as there should have been. Just fell flat for me.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #3758
Groundhog
Coordinator

The Orphanage - 8/10 - Mental Note: Do not watch these kind of movies home alone at 2am. Very creepy and, best of all, after seeming pretty straightforward and predictable for most of the middle-section of the movie, it has a pretty "neat" ending.

Inglourious Basterds - 8/10 - Out of all the Tarantino movies I've seen, this is probably the only one where I went into it expecting not to think much of it for some reason. Instead, I loved it. Some great Tarantino dialogue, but I found myself forgetting it was a Tarantino movie at times due to the setting, and then the music would kick in... His stamp is all over it, despite being a very unusual movie for him.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #3759
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Extract (5/10) -- Some chuckles here and there. Mila Kunis and all of her hotness. Just not much of a movie here though. I just don't think as much was pulled out of the cast as there should have been. Just fell flat for me.
Totaly agree . Given the cast and the fact it was mike judge I expected alot more.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #3760
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Saw Memento, gotta watch it again though to understand it. Great concept but a little confusing for me.

Although I really enjoyed the interconnectedness of nature, land and people the movie portrayed, it was exactly what I thought it was - an awesome visual effects movie with little story.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #3761
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

District B13 - 8.5/10

Action packed from the moment the movie starts until it ends. Story about a vigilante and a cop joining forces to retrieve a bomb ready to detonate on one of the city's most dangerous ghetto. Great action scenes.

Half Light - 5.5/10

Demi Moore plays a successful novelist whose son dies and she goes to a cottage to try and write a novel but some weird stuff starts happening around her.

I admit I was a little scared during some scenes but thought the movie was predictable.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #3762
sabotai
General Manager

(500) Days Of Summer - 9/10

It's not often that I will watch a movie more than once when I rent it. I watched it twice and have it on as background noise as I write this. Can't add much more than what others have said. The best movie of 2009 that I have seen so far (not that I have seen all that many yet).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:27 AM   #3763
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Up in the Air - 8/10: A very good film about the importance of other people. Clooney does a wonderful job, as always, with the lead character who feels totally content living a transient lifestyle, always on the road, until he realizes there is more to life than that. The movie is very serious at times (Clooney does play a guy who goes around the country firing people), but can be extremely hilarious. And the acting is just top notch.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:07 AM   #3764
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Up in the Air - 8/10: A very good film about the importance of other people. Clooney does a wonderful job, as always, with the lead character who feels totally content living a transient lifestyle, always on the road, until he realizes there is more to life than that. The movie is very serious at times (Clooney does play a guy who goes around the country firing people), but can be extremely hilarious. And the acting is just top notch.

It was great and horrific at the same time.

I won't say how I came out feeling.

6/10
Old 01-03-2010, 06:52 AM   #3765
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
(500) Days Of Summer - 9/10

It's not often that I will watch a movie more than once when I rent it. I watched it twice and have it on as background noise as I write this. Can't add much more than what others have said. The best movie of 2009 that I have seen so far (not that I have seen all that many yet).

I'm not sure if I'd go that far but I watched this and rather enjoyed it. Somewhat quirky I thought but the actor/actress had chemistry which is super important in a movie like this. They played off of each other very well.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #3766
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Spirit of the Marathon - 8/10

Documentary about 6 people and their journey to run the Chicago Marathon. I really enjoyed it and actually teared up when I saw the outcome of their hard work.

Postal - 2/10

I don't even know what it was about. Uwe Boll directed and produced it... enough said.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist - 7.5/10

After the horror that was Postal it was nice to rinse my brain with this sweet romantic comedy.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #3767
Groundhog
Coordinator

Red Beard - 10/10
This was maybe the 4th time I've seen this movie, and it's now became maybe a top 2 or 3 movie for me. Very long, as is usual with Kurosawa movies, but, as is also usual for Kurosawa movies, the time is spent very wisely, creating a bunch of characters that you actually care about. Very touching story.

Well, what can I say. Absolutely loved it. I just wish they weren't making all those sequels, as I can't see how they'd be anything other than a dissapointment, ala the Matrix.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #3768
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Inglorious Basterds - 8/10

I was pleasantly surprised. For whatever reason I wasn't expecting too much, but it was very entertaining. I had to pause the movie a couple of times to explain parts to the gf, but other than that, it was great. Pitt rocked as usual, and Tarantino was himself.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #3769
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Watchmen (7 / 10): I'm a comic book and movie fan, but never read the original series, so I went into this without much in the way of expectations. Overall I felt it was entertaining, but not anything to really write home about. It had some elements that you aren't used to seeing in typical comic-book fare (The Comedian, for example), and I thought Dr. Manhattan's detachment was pretty well done, but it still felt like it could have been so much more.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (9 / 10): Overall a really well done movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The different period-piece elements were good and the supporting case did an excellent job, but Pitt really carried the show here. I especially liked the way that you could see Benjamin's mind grow older even as his body progressed in the other direction.

Gran Torino (7.5 / 10): Pretty well done piece in my eyes, but not the end-all-be-all that some people made it out to be. I felt like Eastwood's direction actually surpassed his acting this time around, as Walt came across as downright comic in his racism and bigotry at times, which I'm not sure was what was intended.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #3770
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Public Enemies - 7/10, Meh it was good solid movie- if the girlfriend or someone wanted to watch it, i'd watch it again, but not a great movie... just good. Some of the things just seemed forced, didn't quite flow great at times.

Last edited by Doug5984 : 01-06-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #3771
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Uprising - 8/10

I have no idea how it ended up on my netflix list, I added it probably 8 months ago and just now got to it. When I received it in the mail, I figured it would just be another generic movie illustrating World War II and the persecution of the Jewish. As far as that category of movie goes, I haven't really found many movies that were necessarily entertaining. Most are down right depressing and often poorly acted. (Obviously I'm not looking for a song and dance routine depicting the holocaust camps, but I'd like for the movie to hold my attention such as say Schindler's List does which I feel is an excellent movie).

Anyways, with my reservations intact before watching this movie, I only half paid attention to the first 10 minutes of the movie. As the movie continued though, I got more and more sucked in. This was actually a made for tv movie about 9 years ago evidently even though I had never heard of it before. In it are quite a few recognizable actors, many of which I felt performed far better than many other movies I had seen them in prior.

The movie is long at about 3 hours, but by the time I was 30 minutes into it, I couldn't turn away and was wanting to watch the next part. I truly enjoyed it and will likely watch it again.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #3772
KWhit
Coordinator

Up In the Air - 9/10

Great movie. So well written and acted. It's a very subtle, smart drama/comedy that doesn't go where you expect it to.

And Clooney was incredible.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #3773
Kodos
Resident Alien

Agreed. Up In The Air was a very good movie. And my wife and I didn't see the curveball coming. Great date movie.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-07-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #3774
Ironhead
College Prospect

District 9 - ?/10

Just finished watching this movie. It definitely had some interesting things going on and I appreciate some of what it had to say.

That being said I wasn't mentally prepared for what the movie was really about. It was tough to watch. As I get older I find it harder and harder to sit through that kind of violence.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:44 AM   #3775
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Up In the Air - 9/10

Great movie. So well written and acted. It's a very subtle, smart drama/comedy that doesn't go where you expect it to.

And Clooney was incredible.

I really want to see this.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:01 AM   #3776
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Agreed. Up In The Air was a very good movie. And my wife and I didn't see the curveball coming. Great date movie.

Wow. It's amazing to see how differently people see things.

I think that this was the antithesis of a date movie.

Clooney was great as usual, but it just didn't deliver for me. Rental movie? Definitely. Full priced movie experience? Hell Fucking No.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #3777
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think it can work as a date movie. The underlying message is that no one can really live in isolation and that we need other people regardless of how happy we think we are being alone.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #3778
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Wow. It's amazing to see how differently people see things.

I think that this was the antithesis of a date movie.

Clooney was great as usual, but it just didn't deliver for me. Rental movie? Definitely. Full priced movie experience? Hell Fucking No.

Let's just face it. We don't agree on entertainment very often.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #3779
NewIdentity
High School JV

District 9 - 6/10

The more I think about this movie the lower the rating goes.

Like the ending....If nothing was broke than what the hell? (-1)

The science in this movie if terrible. They never try to explain why the main character is changing.(-1)

I find it impossible to believe that after 20 years there were no Aliens who were serving mankind. As guards, or in the military? You would think that with these awesome weapons the local government would have created a special division in the military for them.(-1)

The last one is probably my U.S. bias shining through. Here in the U.S. as long as you have something we want, wealth, power, knowledge, we will gladly accept you into our society with open arms. So, I am guessing that most of these Aliens would have been granted U.S. Citizenship after serving 4 to 8 years in the U.S. military.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 01-11-2010 at 10:30 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #3780
KWhit
Coordinator

Paranormal Activity - 9/10

I really loved this. It was the movie that Blair Witch should have been. The low-budget quality combined with some interesting "effects" made for a very convincing movie experience. I thought it was one of the scariest movies I've seen because it was so realistic.

Note, I saw the Bluray and vastly prefer the alternate ending on the disc. Holy cow, that ending will stick with me for a while.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #3781
Calis
College Starter

I got a chance to see Up in the Air also, and I loved it. I actually think the woman who played Clooney's love interest was the show stealer. She did a fantastic job and really portrayed a female-Clooney. He was solid also, just the perfect sort of role for him. I'd say it is a solid 8.5 in my ratings. My wife and I saw it as a date night movie, and both had a great time. I don't know if it'd qualify as a good date movie earlier in a relationship though, it isn't the normal fluffy movie you'd associate with that.

Rented 500 Days of Summer also over the weekend. I didn't hate it, but I definitely had a lot more issues with it than most people here apparently. I'd rate it in the 6.5 range or so roughly.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #3782
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

District 9 (5 out of 10) - Just didn't connect with me really. I thought the story was flat and didn't give enough background on the aliens. Even for an "alien" movie, it was too unrealistic with the science and what he was able to accomplish with a couple alien guns.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #3783
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Youth in Revolt (8/10) - If you like Michael Cera, you'll like this movie a lot. I like Cera so I liked it a lot. It's very dry, almost like a Wes Anderson movie, but it's funny and fairly absurd.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #3784
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Trader Horn(1931) (5/10) One of my New Year's resolutions is to see at least two movies nominated for Best Picture each month. This was the first on the list. Nominated in the 4th year of the Oscars, it is a story of how an African trader and his apprentice /protege and the daughter of a missionary woman captured in deepest darkest Africa escape to civilization. I know this is before nature documentaries, but it seems like a African Travelouge a little too much. The story is ok. But that is all I can say about it.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:34 AM   #3785
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Big Fan (4 out of 10) - Had some modest expectations for this coming in. Seemed like an interesting idea with a unique cast. The story though came across real bland. Patton Oswald plays a diehard fan who gets beaten up by his favorite player. Lot of slow scenes and ultimately, the story didn't go anywhere for me. I kept waiting for the final scenes to give some big perspective on the film and "fandom" but it never did. Just seemed like a real odd way to finish the film. Just following the life of a really pathetic guy who only cares about the New York Giants.

I had originally not found the guy in the story believable, but the UT/Kiffin saga sort of changed my mind tonight. There are fans as pathetic as that guy it appears.

I'd add that Patton Oswald was really good in the role. Never seen that side of him but he really makes the guy seem pathetic, sympathetic, and also someone you just hate at times. He was subtle enough to be realistic. Thought the other characters were horrible and cliched. The ambulance chaser lawyer brother, his trophy wife, the black partying football player.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #3786
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Push (5 / 10): Mildly-entertaining, check-your-brain-at-the-door entertainment, but that's about all. A few spots of witty banter from Dakota Fanning, but nowhere near enough special effects goodness to make this truly worthwhile, and plot holes you could drive a boat through. Don't go out of your way for this one.

Defiance (8 / 10): This one was quite good, and is based off of a true story that I had not heard before. Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber were both excellent, and despite both starting the story as rather cold, detached individuals, one gets a very good sense for how the events that unfold change their characters.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 01-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #3787
rowech
Pro Starter

Moon (8/10) -- Will move way too slow for many people but it's a good movie that presents some interesting questions for scientific purposes. Won't be for everyone but it's a good scifi movie.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #3788
Pyser
Pro Rookie

coraline - 6/10

in the end the last act felt rushed, and way too easy. very, very dark, almost puts burton to shame. cant imagine kids watching some of this. but for as dark as it was, just didnt grab me the whole time.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #3789
Schmidty
Coordinator

It was great fun. I didn't think that the story was as bad as everyone is saying. The only thing that annoyed me was how cheesy the army guy was.

We saw it in 3D, and although it gave me a migraine, it was totally worth it. Spectacular.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:12 AM   #3790
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

The Book of Eli - 8/10

Denzel kicking ass, what more can you ask for? My only problem with the movie was...

Spoiler

But even with this, I thought it was great.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #3791
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Book of Eli 8.5/10

I really liked the movie and agree with Dodgerchick that there were a couple of huh moments. Very good fight scenes solid story and overall i thought very entertaining. Have done a lot of pencil and paper role playing i this was a post apocalyptic role playing game brought to life.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:49 AM   #3792
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It was an interesting movie. I foresaw/thought about one primary aspect of how it would end, but I'll admit I didn't guess the major twist (although to be fair, I am not sure if the moviemakers weren't aiming to intentionally deceive so that it wouldn't be guessed).

DC, I hear ya on that, but that's not the sorta thing that really stands out to me. Of course, I'm a guy, so it wouldn't anyway. Still, I don't know that seems kinda picky to me.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-16-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:48 AM   #3793
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
It was an interesting movie. I saw thought about one primary aspect of how it would end, but I'll admit I didn't guess the major twist (although to be fair, I am not sure if the moviemakers weren't aiming to intentionally deceive so that it wouldn't be guessed).

DC, I hear ya on that, but that's not the sorta thing that really stands out to me. Of course, I'm a guy, so it wouldn't anyway. Still, I don't know that seems kinda picky to me.

It's picky, I know! Some movies get a pass but if they're really trying to be realistic, they have to go all the way. BUT, if the story is good, then I'm be ok with it. The Book of Eli was a really good movie so, meh, it gets a pass. Lord of the Rings - one of my all-time favorite movies had so many things wrong with it (Frodo has the ring with the chain one scene, and missing the next. Frodo's fingernails are bitten and nasty in one scene, but nicely manicured in another...). But even though, I'm willing to see past that because there are so many other things that make it a fantastic movie.

For me, it's all in the details. But I tend to be a perfectionist so take it for what it's worth
Old 01-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #3794
KWhit
Coordinator

The Book of Eli - 9/10

I really enjoyed this. The scenery and performances were excellent, and I'm a sucker for anything post-apocalyptic.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #3795
KWhit
Coordinator

The Lovely Bones - 2/10

Good lord, this was horrible. Just bad bad bad. Skip this one. So many moments that don't make sense. And the tone was all over the map.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #3796
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Legion - 3/10

GOTTdamn, what a horrible movie. Take the first and the last 3 minutes of Terminator, and then fill in the middle with crappy rehashes of scenes from your pick of any recent zombie flicks.

For anybody who has also had the misfortune of seeing this fine film:

Spoiler

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-23-2010 at 07:51 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #3797
DataKing
Pro Rookie

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (7 / 10): Like a lot of kids, I went through a comic book phase growing up, and when I was collecting, Wolverine was my favorite character (Spidey and Batman were runners-up). So yes, I know they took Logan's back-story and really hashed it up to make this movie, but I still enjoyed it. Some good fight/action sequences to be found here, and I rather liked the opening montage as well.

Terminator: Salvation (6.5 / 10): I was actually a little let down by this, but I think my expectations were too high in the first place. While I thought the movie did some things to advance the overall storyline, I was expecting more John Connor than what you actually get in the movie. My only other knock on it was that I didn't get a sense of scope/scale that I did from the futuristic battle scenes in the earlier movies. There were a couple of LOL moments though, especially the use of "You Could Be Mine" by GNR.

Up (8 / 10): I really found this to be quite touching, especially the early sequence where we see Carl and Ellie's life together...very well done. The usual quality I've come to expect from Pixar to be found here. Not as much grownup-oriented humor to be found here as in earlier Pixar flicks, but it didn't feel like much was really necessary.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 01-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #3798
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
The Lovely Bones - 2/10

Good lord, this was horrible. Just bad bad bad. Skip this one. So many moments that don't make sense. And the tone was all over the map.

did you read the book?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #3799
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Up (8 / 10): I really found this to be quite touching, especially the early sequence where we see Carl and Ellie's life together...very well done.

Oh hell yes. I wasn't prepared for that. Great intro, great movie.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #3800
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Oh hell yes. I wasn't prepared for that. Great intro, great movie.

That was quite powerful. I was ready for it, because I had talked to someone had mentioned that particular sequence to me. Being "prepared for that" doesn't really help. In fact, in a way it made it worse, because the room started to get a bit dusty the moment it dawned on me that it was "that scene".
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote