Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-15-2020, 06:36 PM   #3701
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I have no idea how they're going to do it. I'm sure as shit not going to a restaurant to sit down or attend an event with people. Definitely not getting on a plane anytime soon.

We can avoid some death by being careful but you're still going to turn on the news every day and see 1-2k people dying from this it seems if we open things up.

Austria opened up a little today, but initial reports are that people stayed at home regardless. There will definitely be a lag between relaxation and normality
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:37 PM   #3702
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Just out of curiousity - what numbers are we using for that? NYC population vs dying in NYC hospitals? Or metro population?

SI

New York City.

NYC is closing in on 11,000 deaths. About 8 million live in the city. THATS IN A LITTLE OVER ONE MONTH!
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:39 PM   #3703
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I wonder how corporations are going to handle business travel when things start to open up again. I suspect it will be different for each one, will just be interesting to see.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:40 PM   #3704
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

One thing I've noticed is that the anti-shutdown crowd has real blinders on when it comes to that return to normalcy. A meme going around recently has been about how when we open up, there'll be a 2-hour wait at every restaurant and blah blah blah …

No. It will take months of a widespread, safe vaccine for that to happen, if it ever does. I'm not certain there won't be semi-permanent hangover from this. People's patterns will be broken and some of them will find they like a different way of life better than the one they had. The economy is never going back to like it was, for both good and ill.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:42 PM   #3705
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
One thing I've noticed is that the anti-shutdown crowd has real blinders on when it comes to that return to normalcy. A meme going around recently has been about how when we open up, there'll be a 2-hour wait at every restaurant and blah blah blah …

No. It will take months of a widespread, safe vaccine for that to happen, if it ever does. I'm not certain there won't be semi-permanent hangover from this. People's patterns will be broken and some of them will find they like a different way of life better than the one they had. The economy is never going back to like it was, for both good and ill.

With how bad they bungled small business relief, how many small restaurants are even going to be open when people feel safe to eat out?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:08 PM   #3706
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
New York City.

NYC is closing in on 11,000 deaths. About 8 million live in the city. THATS IN A LITTLE OVER ONE MONTH!

To put in in even more mindboggling terms: about 54k deaths were recorded in 2016 (Most recent i found) total from all causes. That is about 4,5 thousand a month.

NYCdata: Population Characteristics: Births, Marriages, Deaths and Infant Mortality
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 04-15-2020 at 07:12 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:12 PM   #3707
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So you're telling me it isn't all a hoax?
Old 04-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #3708
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
So you're telling me it isn't all a hoax?

Might just be. Of course, maybe this is the biggest fake event since the moonlanding, you never know ! I mean, hospitals elsewhere are empty so how come this is so different ? (This is the single most infuriating 'argument' the conspiracy nuts in Germany use)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 04-15-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:36 PM   #3709
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I wonder how corporations are going to handle business travel when things start to open up again. I suspect it will be different for each one, will just be interesting to see.
My brother works from home 3 weeks out of the month, and travels via airplane one week. But he's been working full-time from home since the beginning of March. So I have a vested interest in how this plays out as well. I suspect he personally will not choose to be on a flight anytime soon. Because along with air travel comes rental car, hotel, restaurants, clients, etc. He figures as long as he maintains his deliverables and continued productivity, he should be able to keep working from home. Indeed it will be interesting how quickly Senior Management starts pressuring their direct reports to come in, and then it filters down from there. I hope he won't have to make a "choice" anytime soon.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #3710
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I know there is a growing pent-up demand to start relaxing guidelines and slowly reopening the country. And current indications are that they may do it based on the local/regional data related to COVID-19.

So help me understand the thinking: City#1 has a very low number of cases/deaths. And the number is steady or possibly even trending down. Then this might be a candidate to allow workers in City#1 to get back to work. Ah! But you have to assume %X of the workers don't actually live in City#1. They live in City#2 which is still suffering a higher number of cases/deaths. Why doesn't it then dawn on these decision-makers that by doing it this way, workers from City#2 are likely to bring the virus into City#1 and further the spread?

I truly don't see how this works until we ramp up Testing, Tracing, Public Health Capacity, and ultimately a vaccine. This is of course what many of the Governors are also saying, and all indications are that we are still a long way (months) from having any meaningful ability to handle these issues.

So what am I missing? What's the scenario that "safely" reopens certain sectors? I even heard an example about how sporting events may be restricted to the younger and non-vulnerable populations. But none of these scenarios actually occur in a vacuum. These people will still interact with others which will surely include older & vulnerable populations.

I think the authorities are hoping that there is some level of changed behavior. Maybe we don't stand six feet away but you do stand three feet. Maybe me and my three closest friends decided to visit a beer garden that has spaced out tables as opposed to ten of you heading to the 100 square foot bar that already has 200 people in it. To use your example of work, maybe we decide that we can get away with some working from home options a couple days a week. Maybe Zoom into a meeting from our offices instead of piling into the conference room. People will definitely fall back into normalcy at some point. However, I also think there will be enough of the awkwardness of the guy sticking out his hand out for a handshake and the other guy just looking at it variety to at least make people think.

One thing that can not be forgotten is how much the virus has spread from us just being ignorant and/or defiant about it. We are probably not going to have as many incidents similar to Rudy Gobert jokingly touching and breathing all over his teammates' and reporters' stuff. How many incidents like that contributed to the spread I don't know. I do think it is more than zero.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:14 PM   #3711
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I think it's going to be harder for governors to do restriction orders a second time.

I think there is zero chance that we do restrictions a second time. That is why I really hope we get this one right.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-15-2020, 08:17 PM   #3712
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I don't - I think there's a pretty high chance, esp. in the fall - just hoping to avoid it until then. If people start dying in large enough numbers, there won't be a real choice.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #3713
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Many people unfortunately are too stupid or too impatient. They are like children or dogs -- they're going to have to learn the hard way and/or get smacked on the snout before they learn, I'm afraid.
Let's ballpark some numbers... There's less than a 1 in 200 chance of me dying from this and probably 50% or more of me being completely asymptomatic? A vaccine is probably 2 years away and not even a sure thing? And you're asking me to completely give up any social life including things like hiking that don't pose any risk as long as you stay 5+ feet away from people, but still work in a 3000 person warehouse so I'm over 50% likely to get it anyways?

Yeah... I hope the antigen tests come down in cost quickly and I can take one that shows I've already been exposed (and offers everyone else who has been exposed the chance to going back to living semi-normally again), and I wouldn't want to do it now when we're worried about hospital bed shortages (though that appears overstated) but if you offered me the chance to knowingly get this and self quarantine for 2 weeks vs giving up two years of my life? I'd probably take the former, and while I'm more willing to be honest in a forum like this than many are in general, I wonder how many other (unmarried & childless) people under the age of 40 would say the same thing.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 04-15-2020 at 09:09 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:38 PM   #3714
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

This seems incredibly short-sighted. Once a vaccine is discovered, things will return to normal.

You think everyone who rides the subway in NYC to go to work just isn't going to do it anymore?
Old 04-15-2020, 10:01 PM   #3715
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
My brother works from home 3 weeks out of the month, and travels via airplane one week. But he's been working full-time from home since the beginning of March. So I have a vested interest in how this plays out as well. I suspect he personally will not choose to be on a flight anytime soon. Because along with air travel comes rental car, hotel, restaurants, clients, etc. He figures as long as he maintains his deliverables and continued productivity, he should be able to keep working from home. Indeed it will be interesting how quickly Senior Management starts pressuring their direct reports to come in, and then it filters down from there. I hope he won't have to make a "choice" anytime soon.

I am in an exact same situation as your brother.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:13 PM   #3716
molson
General Manager

The stories I'm reading of people traveling through the airports now sound fascinating. I kind of wish I could go somewhere.

My sense of acceptable risk is impacted by the fact that I live with someone who has contact with hundreds of people a day at her job. There's not much I can do to increase my risk at this point. It probably would be safer for me to get on a sanitized plane and quarantine on a beach somewhere. Which I threaten to do daily, in jest. But I'm definitely getting antsy. I'll be the first in line hunting for travel deals when it's legal and ethical to do so.

Last edited by molson : 04-15-2020 at 10:22 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:25 PM   #3717
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm content to wait until the end of April and see where we are at. Supposedly two weeks is when Arizona will be at the high point, but we really haven't seen much impact so far. My bet is we roll back to shelter in place in May (and start re-opening restaurants for smaller capacity some time in late June). But, we will see
Old 04-15-2020, 10:28 PM   #3718
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Once a vaccine is discovered, things will return to normal.

You think everyone who rides the subway in NYC to go to work just isn't going to do it anymore?

I don't think I said that or implied it. With this specific example, a lot of people will still ride the subway. Some of the jobs people used to ride the subway to go to won't exist anymore. Other jobs will eventually replace them, and some of them will be different jobs than the ones that existed before. I think it's likely, for example, that there will be at least some permanent shift towards more people working remotely; a lot of companies that never did that before have had to figure out how out of necessity. Some will want to keep doing it. The balance of employment between industries won't got back to exactly what it was, ditto for some personal behaviors, etc.

A disruption of this scale never goes back to what it was before. It's highly debatable what will change and what won't, but I think it's simply inevitable that some things will.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:31 PM   #3719
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's so frustrating that we know what needs to happen to reopen, aggressive testing, tracing, and isolation for those exposed, we just aren't preparing to do any of that at a national level. Some states will be able to do that and some won't and we'll be stuck hoping it turns out okay.

Seeing our testing numbers drop from last week to this week certainly gives me no confidence that we're preparing for the next phase. I don't want to spend a year seeing stories like the one out of NJ where they found 17 bodies at a nursing home.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:49 PM   #3720
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

I am in an exact same situation as your brother.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:53 PM   #3721
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Let's ballpark some numbers... There's less than a 1 in 200 chance of me dying from this and probably 50% or more of me being completely asymptomatic? A vaccine is probably 2 years away and not even a sure thing? And you're asking me to completely give up any social life including things like hiking that don't pose any risk as long as you stay 5+ feet away from people, but still work in a 3000 person warehouse so I'm over 50% likely to get it anyways?

Yeah... I hope the antigen tests come down in cost quickly and I can take one that shows I've already been exposed (and offers everyone else who has been exposed the chance to going back to living semi-normally again), and I wouldn't want to do it now when we're worried about hospital bed shortages (though that appears overstated) but if you offered me the chance to knowingly get this and self quarantine for 2 weeks vs giving up two years of my life? I'd probably take the former, and while I'm more willing to be honest in a forum like this than many are in general, I wonder how many other (unmarried & childless) people under the age of 40 would say the same thing.

Perhaps I'm risk averse (though I -- probably like a good portion of this board -- am 1. over 40 and 2. have kids and OH RIGHT 3. married). Or just, you know, fairly content with being a homebody.

But if I'm under house arrest with 2,999 of my closest friends*, and am given the choice of a) staying under house arrest for two years, or b) leaving but upon leaving, 150 of the 3000 (and you don't know which ones) are instantly drowned? I stay under house arrest.

* in blocks of four, but with good internet connectivity

Last edited by cuervo72 : 04-15-2020 at 10:57 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:49 AM   #3722
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Our stay-at-home is through end of April also. However, the restrictions are not as harsh as you guys. How's things going? Hope you and family are doing okay?

The family is doing fine. My son's going stir-crazy being stuck at home though.

Just have to weather the storm and hope that the world's governments figure out a response to the recession.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:39 AM   #3723
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
The family is doing fine. My son's going stir-crazy being stuck at home though.

Just have to weather the storm and hope that the world's governments figure out a response to the recession.

Hope you have a karaoke machine at home !
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:19 AM   #3724
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
New York City.

Eh, that's a little misleading then. NYC is really closer to 20M (List of metropolitan statistical areas) - Wikipedia. Just like Chicago is 9M not 2.7M.

That said, 11K deaths in that time anywhere is staggering.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:24 AM   #3725
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Why can't you go hiking right now? Is it because of park closure? I only ask because I've been outside now more than normal (mainly because the weather is about the best it will be) and I just maintain distance from other people walking.

SI

Old 04-16-2020, 07:29 AM   #3726
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Eh, that's a little misleading then. NYC is really closer to 20M (List of metropolitan statistical areas) - Wikipedia. Just like Chicago is 9M not 2.7M.

SI

Yeah the numbers are wrong
They aren't counting people they find dead. They aren't testing dead people at all.
So we're already at 50K dead, probably 1 Million US people have it/had it
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:41 AM   #3727
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Someone in a car stopped me on my dog walk a few days ago and started telling me that this her family says this is actually a Chinese atheist conspiracy intended to turn us away from god.

I kind of know this lady, she lives down the street. She's older, she may be declining mentally. She's friendly, she has a pitbull that she loves. When she shares stuff like this, I tell her that it's poisonous thinking and she should be look around and be happy at the glorious day we've been given. Then she tells me I'm a wonderful person and that god loves me. We've done this a few times. It's basically my way to get out of the conversation as quickly as possible, but, I'm also really glad she seems to take what I'm saying to heart.

I mock conspiracies, and really dislike people who relish in spreading them, but when you meet a person who shares one like that you see that it's a coping mechanism from someone struggling to process what they're going through. If she came at me in more hostile way, as the conspiracy theorists tend to do on Facebook and such, I wouldn't be able to say anything like that, I'd just walk away and then tell her off if she kept bothering me. But those walls between us on the internet and social media, I think, can mask that fear and coping sometimes. I think now this lady says crazy shit to me because she wants me to gently say that she should ignore it and appreciate what we have.
Thanks for the reminder that sometimes these are used as a coping mechanism as opposed to them truly believing it. My wife came back from walking the dog and our neighbor told her the "latest" news that Dr Fauci worked with the Chinese to create the virus. My wife didn't engage and moved on with the dog.

My first reaction was incredulous. But then I remembered your post and it at least gave me a pause to try and understand where she's coming from. We'll see whether she broaches the subject with me or not. Usually it's her husband who is much more openly political/conspiratorial. But I'd love to be able to ask a couple follow-up questions in a sincere manner to dig a little deeper.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:53 AM   #3728
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder that sometimes these are used as a coping mechanism as opposed to them truly believing it. My wife came back from walking the dog and our neighbor told her the "latest" news that Dr Fauci worked with the Chinese to create the virus. My wife didn't engage and moved on with the dog.

My first reaction was incredulous. But then I remembered your post and it at least gave me a pause to try and understand where she's coming from. We'll see whether she broaches the subject with me or not. Usually it's her husband who is much more openly political/conspiratorial. But I'd love to be able to ask a couple follow-up questions in a sincere manner to dig a little deeper.

His insight was fantastic, and to be able to process that on the fly, and come up with that answer is great. I don't think I would have or could have done that. Typically, if someone wants to engage face to face, and I have to see them pretty regularly, I'm just going to avoid the conversation. Living next to someone is a very different animal. I much prefer the casual hello and small talk, now leave me alone, to the deep socializing and let's get to know one another level of communication. My neighbor right now is pretty much my polar opposite politically, but we can at least have nice conversations about work, family, grilling, and whatever without me feeling like I really know him too well.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #3729
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
His insight was fantastic, and to be able to process that on the fly, and come up with that answer is great. I don't think I would have or could have done that. Typically, if someone wants to engage face to face, and I have to see them pretty regularly, I'm just going to avoid the conversation. Living next to someone is a very different animal. I much prefer the casual hello and small talk, now leave me alone, to the deep socializing and let's get to know one another level of communication. My neighbor right now is pretty much my polar opposite politically, but we can at least have nice conversations about work, family, grilling, and whatever without me feeling like I really know him too well.

So true. My neighbor is the head security guard at my kids school. Retired cop. Great guy. Loves the kids and I truly believe would take a bullet for any one of them.

The other day he was telling me that we have to protect the at risk population then get everyone else back out. He had been to 4 different stores that day, etc...

I was like, ugh, this is the guy responsible for assessing a threat that could keep my kids alive. Great.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:11 AM   #3730
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
My neighbor right now is pretty much my polar opposite politically, but we can at least have nice conversations about work, family, grilling, and whatever without me feeling like I really know him too well.
Yes, this matches our situation as well. We know our lanes and typically stay in the casual conversation mode. And usually his wife "apologizes" for him when we see her separately. So it was that much more surprising that she initiated the conversation with my wife.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:25 AM   #3731
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

37-year-old Brandon COVID-19 victim chronicled disease on Facebook up until death | WFLA

This is what i was trying to post the other day but it was too long. This is a friend of a friend (I'm now 2 degrees of Kevin Bacon away from someone that died of it).

WIthin the article is a link to their facebook account and the first post has a very long, very deatailed account of everything they went through in her 21 day fight with the disease
worth a read
Old 04-16-2020, 08:33 AM   #3732
QuikSand
lolzcat

Thanks for linking, but... I don’t think I can do it. Maybe someday.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:36 AM   #3733
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

SI

How exactly do you know the death totals are indeed for the metropolitan area and not the core city/5 buroughs ?
The Metropolitan Area after all is not an organisational 'entity' (as far as bureaucracy goes) but merely a 'geographical' one. Here it also includes a lot of territory in New Jersey which is counted seperately. The deaths for Newark for example are counted as happening in New Jersey, not the metropolitan area of New York.

If you read any stat (like deaths or births) and it says "New York" this will not include the metropolitan area unless someone goes to the trouble and adds it all up.

Last edited by whomario : 04-16-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:37 AM   #3734
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Thanks for linking, but... I don’t think I can do it. Maybe someday.

it's basically just her giving an account of each day and how she feels and especially the bureaucracy of the florida hospital system.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #3735
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
They aren't counting people they find dead. They aren't testing dead people at all.

Yeah, both the numerator and denominator are wrong. I'm thinking we're closer to the 10-20M range for who has had it but I'm just spitballing now.

SI

Old 04-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #3736
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

The all-cause mortality rates paint an interesting picture, they point to only 30-50% of the coronavirus related deaths being picked up in the official statistics. With the rest being missed because they have died at home, or at nursing homes/long term care facilities, had it attributed to an underlying conditions, etc, etc.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:52 AM   #3737
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
How exactly do you know the death totals are indeed for the metropolitan area and not the core city/5 buroughs ?
The Metropolitan Area after all is not an organisational 'entity' (as far as bureaucracy goes) but merely a 'geographical' one. Here it also includes a lot of territory in New Jersey which is counted seperately. The deaths for Newark for example are counted as happening in New Jersey, not the metropolitan area of New York.

If you read any stat (like deaths or births) and it says "New York" this will not include the metropolitan area unless someone goes to the trouble and adds it all up.

But I suspect that people do go to hospitals in other boroughs if they're closer than the nearest hospital to them and I suspect that NYC proper has a much higher density of hospitals than the other areas.

SI

Old 04-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #3738
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
it's basically just her giving an account of each day and how she feels and especially the bureaucracy of the florida hospital system.

Sorry...not being clear. It’s my mental bandwidth, not a technical issue. I just find myself getting even further depressed every time I read some insider account, particularly focusing on healthcare workers.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #3739
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Our Church's Synod had it's Covid 19 taskforce meeting last evening. We are suggesting not doing in person worship through May. One epidemiologist on the team is a bit more dramatic (but I guess you want one of those in a team like this) who is telling her fellow congregants that she hopes we can have in person worship by Christmas - with how things have been changing on this, I don't think projecting out 8 months or so is all that wise, but maybe it's her way of getting her folks mentally prepared for how serious it is?

My job (federal government) is doing work from home until May 1 - I hope that gets extended, but considering what the President wants, I'm a bit worried.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:28 AM   #3740
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Sorry...not being clear. It’s my mental bandwidth, not a technical issue. I just find myself getting even further depressed every time I read some insider account, particularly focusing on healthcare workers.

This. I almost lost it when I heard about the bus driver in Detroit. All of these lives and all of this suffering is easier to handle from a bit of a distance.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:03 AM   #3741
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Americans Remain Risk Averse About Getting Back to Normal

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-16-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #3742
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Based on the article, I think that poll was taken before the shift in public opinion really started taking hold. In Michigan at least, the extension & strengthening of the stay-at-home order less than a week ago really lit a fire under a lot of people and started cracking the consensus. I'm curious to see what the polls say once we get some that were taken more recently.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 04-16-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:22 AM   #3743
Ben E Lou

The above poll notwithstanding, it does seem that a significant portion of the population is getting....restless...with stay-at-home.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #3744
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I do think that as this settles into another MAGA/Blue State thing, you will see more people line up with their team and the numbers will get closer to 50/50.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #3745
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I do think that as this settles into another MAGA/Blue State thing, you will see more people line up with their team and the numbers will get closer to 50/50.
For a short while. And then 100K people will descend upon Auburn or Athens or Tuscaloosa or Clemson or some other small Southern town that swells to near-bursting seams on a Sat'dy afternoon...

...and then a few weeks later, red states will take it more seriously.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #3746
Ben E Lou

Just checked the schedule. Games on 9/5 in Auburn, Columbia, Fayetteville, Gainesville, and Oxford. If those games happen with crowds and school starts as well for kids, late September is a new tipping point.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #3747
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don’t trust that we will look after our most vulnerable.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/16/us/bo...ome/index.html

I don’t trust that we will look after our most vulnerable.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/sta...241966186.html
Old 04-16-2020, 12:03 PM   #3748
whomario
Pro Starter

Might be that some good news re:kids is close, according to our leading Virologist a couple studies now with indication (not proof !) that their immune system might not only react differently to the virus but have at least some immunity or have low reproduction of viral RNA making them less likely to be big spreaders.
The spread within households is aparently lower than thought, which might point to this.

Holland tested antibodies from blood donations and came up with 3% spread. Of course, blood donations generally come from a less than perfect 'spread' of the population due to rules attached and who does it, but data is data.

Last edited by whomario : 04-16-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:20 PM   #3749
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think you will start seeing a crossover to the "red" side by lower class unemployed. It's easy for many of us to say "wait until the fall" to re-open when many can work from home. It's harder to sell that to someone unemployed who isn't making ends meet.

Outside of hotspots in the NE, Michigan and Louisiana, things seem to be pointing to a slowdown by the end of the month. It will be interesting to see how the governors/Trump start handling May. You may have places like Utah, Arizona and New Mexico with very little remaining impact looking to roll back the shelter in place - while places like New York and New Jersey are still in a fight with this thing.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:26 PM   #3750
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Holland tested antibodies from blood donations and came up with 3% spread. Of course, blood donations generally come from a less than perfect 'spread' of the population due to rules attached and who does it, but data is data.
I think you meant the Netherlands? As far as I can find, it was a nationwide research, not just in Holland. (too much nitpicking?)

But there are a lot of caveats here, the biggest one to me: tabulating of test results is barely over 50% done.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote