Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #3701
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

As much as I hate golf, it's pretty easy to stay away from most of the year. But then there are times like now when the Masters is going, and it's pretty hard to ignore. And I think the thing I hate the most about the sport isn't so much the game (although I've never played and never want to), but the coverage of the game. It's the way the media treats the game and the arrogance that shines through, like the game is somehow more majestic and special than anything on the planet, best signified by Jim Nantz's BS.

Case in point - ESPN.com has a blog for Masters-related posts. They are calling it "Letters from Augusta." Give me a fucking break. It's a blog.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-07-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #3702
molson
General Manager

I've known of a lot of you guys (read your posts, interacted), in some cases for almost a decade. That is f'n weird.

Last edited by molson : 04-08-2011 at 01:24 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:42 AM   #3703
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I know I probably type this once every other week, but Joe Posnanski has to be the best writer on the planet right now.

Honesty

A lot has happened to Nick Charles since I wrote a back page column about him at Sports Illustrated. HBO had him broadcast one more fight. CNN spent a couple of days with him and wrote this beautiful and heartbreaking story about him. I understand that Dr. Sanjay Gupta had an intimate conversation that will be broadcast soon. Nick and his wife Cory are beginning a charity to fight child labor in the Philippines ... more on that soon.

Also, thousands and thousands of people have written to him to say they are thinking about him, they care about him, they are praying for him.

I was talking with another friend about Nick and why it is that his story so moves us. You might know that Nick has Stage 4 bladder cancer, and he will die in the next few months. If that sounds overly blunt, well, that's how Nick Charles wants it. He has no illusions. He wants no illusions. He tried hard for a long time to beat the cancer. But, he says, sometimes you have to know when the fight is over.

Of course, there's the touching part of the story. So many people remember Nick from his days as sports anchor during the early days of CNN. So many people know him from his boxing work the last few years. Television, probably more than any other medium, brings us close to people, makes us feel like we know them in deeper ways. There is no doubt that part of it is just the feeling that something terrible has happened to a friend.

There is something more, though. There is something about honesty that I think touches us in places few other things reach. Nick Charles is an honest man. He is honest about his death. And his honest about his life too. "I have made a lot of mistakes," he told me. "But I never wanted to hurt people. I know that. I know that I never wanted to hurt anyone."

We were talking about this sort of honesty, this friend and I, and I told him a story from my college days ... a story that, for no obvious reason, I have told three or four times in the last couple of weeks. It's funny what sticks with you from school. It's funny what lessons stand out of all the classes and all the lectures and all the friendships and relationships and everything else.

"Have you ever written that story?" the friend asked.

"No," I said.

"I can't believe you've never written that story," he said.

So, here is that story: I took a film class in college. The teacher, and sadly I don't even remember his name, was a Vietnam veteran, and he was in a wheelchair. I mention this because it becomes an important part of the story.

The class was amazing, one of my favorites ... while so much of college is now a blur, that class still seems impossibly clear to me. I remember the way we broke down Citizen Kane ... and Time Bandits ... the way we talked about the copout that was the ending of The Color Of Money ... I remember a lot of things from that class, and almost nothing at all from most of my others. I know this was because of the professor.

Most of all, I remember watching The Stunt Man. There's a scene in The Stunt Man, and I will forget the particulars, where the stunt man is running through a battlefield, and a thousand bullets are chasing him, but, of course, none ever hit him. Only the scene is so long, and there are so many bullets and missiles and bombs, that after a while it becomes clear that the absurdity is exactly what is being emphasized. It gets funny after a while. And so, there was laughter in the room.

The professor stopped the movie then, and told us a story. He said that as absurd as that might seem, he'd actually seen it in real life. He had never talked to us about Vietnam, not that I recall, but in that moment he told us this story of a Vietnamese soldier running through a field, and everyone fired at him, but nobody could hit him. The man just kept running and running, bullets whizzing by him, and it seemed utterly impossible, but there it was, the power of fortune in war, the extraordinary authority of chance over everyone's lives, a man somehow running through bullets.

And then we started watching the movie again and didn't think much more of it.

The next class, the professor began like this: A couple of days ago, I told you the story about the man running through the field. I have always promised myself, ever since I got back from Vietnam, that I would never lie about the war. That was the deal I made with myself. That was how I was going to keep myself sane. I would always tell the truth.

He paused here, and I remember that the room felt airless, suffocating.

What I told you the other day was true. There was a man. And there was a field. He ran through the field, and everyone fired at him, and nobody could hit him. He ran and ran, and nobody could hit him. I have never seen anything like it. Nobody could hit him.

He paused again. His voice was strong. It did not crack.

And he said this: And then, the part I left out: I shot him, and I killed him.

I don't think I've gone a month without thinking about that moment. There is not another moment from college or high school that I remember as vividly. I remember the shock. I remember the pain. I remember the confusion.

I'm still not sure I know the lesson. It changes on me all the time. Sometimes I think it's about the horror of war. Sometimes I think it's about the deals we have to make with ourselves. Sometimes I think it's about the daily terror and outrage and sadness people must endure while nobody notices.

Now, though, I think it's about something else. I have not seen that professor even one time in almost 25 years, but I thought about him again and again as I talked with Nick Charles about what to do when you know you are going to die. "I want to feel everything," he told me, and I thought I knew what he meant. I thought he meant that he wants to breathe in the mountain air, and really taste the calamari, and take in every reaction from his beautiful little daughter Giovanna. And I know he did mean all those things and more.

But I also think he means he wants to feel EVERYTHING. He does not want to lie to himself. He wonders if he has spent too much time lying to himself. He does not want to withdraw even for moment. He knows that people are watching, and they can be inspired. He knows that his wife and daughter are with him, and every moment is precious. He knows that he has so few good days left, and as he told me: "I don't have time for the BS. I just don't. I'm dying."

And if we are honest with ourselves, truly and devastatingly honest, maybe we should ask: Is it really so different for any of us?

That's a great story (the Vietnam part, although all around it's a great article).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #3704
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Anyone follow MarylandMudflap on Twitter? Damn that guy's funny:

"Just the word "Kardashian" makes me picture a vagina that looks like a beef burrito hitting a windshield at 70 MPH"

"Glen Beck seems like the kind of guy who holds his hand still and moves his body to masturbate."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #3705
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

sure wish this board has a place to post pictures of boobs because i can't find boobs anywhere on this board
Old 04-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #3706
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
sure wish this board has a place to post pictures of boobs because i can't find boobs anywhere on this board

Check out the what do you look like thread.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #3707
JediKooter
Coordinator

Is it Caturday yet?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #3708
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Check out the what do you look like thread.
It's just pictures of me... oh, I see what you did there.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #3709
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Is it Caturday yet?

No it's butt hurt Friday.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #3710
JediKooter
Coordinator

I HATE that day.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 04-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #3711
DataKing
Pro Rookie

It's better than "my penis itches" Tuesday...
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #3712
JediKooter
Coordinator

Hopefully they won't combine the two days like they did for Lincoln's and Washington's birthdays.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #3713
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

JK, I have to admit I found that line funnier than I should have

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #3714
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
JK, I have to admit I found that line funnier than I should have

SI

Haha! I think it's one of those that kind of sneaks up on you.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #3715
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, I have to rant about something at work, so I'm going to do it here. All you need to know about my job is that each program has a Program Manager, a person in Job A, and a person in Job B. The person in Job B reports to the person in Job A, and both report to the PM. Job A and Job B are technical leadership roles. In my program, I'm in Job B.

So, there is a part in our design that I think can be removed. I talked about it with the person in Job A on my program and he agreed and asked me to put together a package for the uber-upper-technical management people to review. If they approve, we'll put it in front of the customer and see if we get buy-off. The package took me maybe 10 minutes to put together, and most of that was wordsmith'ing. Basically, if you know our design and read a report that was distributed, anybody in my job (Job B) should be able to put this package together quickly. Actually, if you're in on the design at all, it's easy to figure out why this design change is probably OK.

So on Tuesday, Mr. T, who is in Job B for another program, emails me and asks me if I can send him the package so his program can use it too (apparently he thinks it's a good idea but isn't smart enough to come up with it on his own). I tell him that I'll be happy to share, but right now it's under review, and I can't release it until the review is done.

On Wednesday, the PM for Mr. T's program stops by my office and says he heard that I put together a package and asks if I will share it. I say of course, once it's gone through review. Truthfully, if my customer doesn't buy off on this design change, it's unlikely others will. And if the uber-technical-management doesn't, there's no way it gets in front of my customer to begin with.

On Thursday, Mr. T emails me AGAIN and asks for the package and I tell him it's still under review and AGAIN let him know that once it's reviewed, I'll pass it along.

I just got an email from Mr. J, who is in Job A for the program with Mr. T. He has heard that I've put together a package on this topic and wants to know if I'll share.

A) WHY THE HECK can't Mr. T, Mr. J, and their PM talk to each other?
B) Seriously, are Mr. T and Mr. J qualified for their job? As I said, it's pretty straight forward about why this design change is justified and probably OK to do.

I'm tempted to not share the package I put together, out of sheer annoyance. GRRR.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #3716
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Maybe they really really want it now (for some project they're close to finished on) and they figure if they all ask you eventually you'll break the rules?
Old 04-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #3717
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Maybe they really really want it now (for some project they're close to finished on) and they figure if they all ask you eventually you'll break the rules?

Their project is behind mine in flow. At least 6 months behind mine.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #3718
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Ok, I have to rant about something at work, so I'm going to do it here.

/tk

Sounds like Office Space!

Old 04-09-2011, 03:54 AM   #3719
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Is it Caturday yet?

My dog sure hopes so. He can't resist the taste!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #3720
MJ4H
Coordinator

So is Kate Upton pretty much the hottest chick on the planet now or what?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #3721
MJ4H
Coordinator

hXXp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnEAiuo6E64&feature=player_embedded

EVIDENCE: 3:08, 3:42

Last edited by MJ4H : 04-09-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #3722
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post

who is she and why should i know her
Old 04-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #3723
MJ4H
Coordinator

#3730 plz
Old 04-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #3724
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
who is she

Good question.

Quote:
why should i know her

That, on the other hand, should be kind of obvious (assuming her hotness is as described).
Old 04-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #3725
MJ4H
Coordinator

3:08 and 3:42 in that video are so stunning they could physically knock you to the floor.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #3726
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

oh
Old 04-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #3727
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

Pretty much.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #3728
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
who is she

University student and model. Probably most famous for her Sports Illustrated swimsuit appearance, although she's also done some Victoria's Secret work.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #3729
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
who is she and why should i know her

Don't know why you should know her. But this is her.

Or if you are a fan of In-n-Out

Last edited by DanGarion : 04-09-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:24 AM   #3730
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

nope.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:04 AM   #3731
Suicane75
Coordinator

This board is horny.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #3732
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

thanks for the info guys i never heard of the bitch before but cool
Old 04-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #3733
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I just woke up from a dream where I was roommates with several former Detroit Lions backups like Eric Lynch and US Senator Al Franken. Arianna Huffington called, so I told her that I'd give him the message a giant bear named Arianna called.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #3734
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ok, I have to rant about something at work, so I'm going to do it here. All you need to know about my job is that each program has a Program Manager, a person in Job A, and a person in Job B. The person in Job B reports to the person in Job A, and both report to the PM. Job A and Job B are technical leadership roles. In my program, I'm in Job B.

So, there is a part in our design that I think can be removed. I talked about it with the person in Job A on my program and he agreed and asked me to put together a package for the uber-upper-technical management people to review. If they approve, we'll put it in front of the customer and see if we get buy-off. The package took me maybe 10 minutes to put together, and most of that was wordsmith'ing. Basically, if you know our design and read a report that was distributed, anybody in my job (Job B) should be able to put this package together quickly. Actually, if you're in on the design at all, it's easy to figure out why this design change is probably OK.

So on Tuesday, Mr. T, who is in Job B for another program, emails me and asks me if I can send him the package so his program can use it too (apparently he thinks it's a good idea but isn't smart enough to come up with it on his own). I tell him that I'll be happy to share, but right now it's under review, and I can't release it until the review is done.

On Wednesday, the PM for Mr. T's program stops by my office and says he heard that I put together a package and asks if I will share it. I say of course, once it's gone through review. Truthfully, if my customer doesn't buy off on this design change, it's unlikely others will. And if the uber-technical-management doesn't, there's no way it gets in front of my customer to begin with.

On Thursday, Mr. T emails me AGAIN and asks for the package and I tell him it's still under review and AGAIN let him know that once it's reviewed, I'll pass it along.

I just got an email from Mr. J, who is in Job A for the program with Mr. T. He has heard that I've put together a package on this topic and wants to know if I'll share.

B) Seriously, are Mr. T and Mr. J qualified for their job? As I said, it's pretty straight forward about why this design change is justified and probably OK to do.

I'm tempted to not share the package I put together, out of sheer annoyance. GRRR.

/tk

I have to think the answer for question A) is because he pity the fool.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #3735
cuervo72
Head Coach

That self-aggrandizing Oprah needs to stop slow-reading damned Jeopardy! categories.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:49 AM   #3736
Suicane75
Coordinator

They have a fucking tv show about using coupons now? Life is no longer lived, it's performed.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:51 AM   #3737
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I figure the fucking coupon show will eventually lead to "Extreme Food Hoarders!"
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:56 AM   #3738
Suicane75
Coordinator

"Fat fucks. Next on TLC".

Of course they already have that show with that big girl that I thought was about chronicling her weight loss. Then I saw the preview for season 2 and she's like "I don't know how I gained 60 pounds!"

Really? I have a vague idea how you gained 60 pounds, it's probably from EATING TOO MUCH.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #3739
stevew
Hall Of Famer

"extreme FUPA, next on TLC".
Old 04-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #3740
MJ4H
Coordinator

Apparently there is a new student at the school where I teach. His name is Logan and he is in a wheelchair. He is approximately the same age as my son was and has a very similar affliction.

Logan has made my day much more difficult to get through. He is unloaded from the bus right by my room every morning. I don't know how this is going to work.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #3741
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

/tk

Did you 'Reply All'?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #3742
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
My dog sure hopes so. He can't resist the taste!

There's a joke in there somewhere.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #3743
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Apparently there is a new student at the school where I teach. His name is Logan and he is in a wheelchair. He is approximately the same age as my son was and has a very similar affliction.

Logan has made my day much more difficult to get through. He is unloaded from the bus right by my room every morning. I don't know how this is going to work.

Man - that's tough. Seriously.

Not sure what to tell you - whether it makes more sense to try to like...ignore it (I don't think anyone would begrudge you at this point, especially if you mentioned it to the administration/other teachers) or to try to embrace it and engage with him.

I just dunno.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #3744
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

No fair!!!

My mother's cousin-in-law is a chef. She works for Bertoli (she's one of the chefs who devises the recipes you see on their packages and stuff).

She met Anthony Bourdain a couple months back, and she just posted on FB that she's up in Toronto right now and she just met Susur Lee and he's amazing!!!!

I'M SO DAMN JEALOUS!!!!!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #3745
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Of course they already have that show with that big girl that I thought was about chronicling her weight loss. Then I saw the preview for season 2 and she's like "I don't know how I gained 60 pounds!" Really? I have a vague idea how you gained 60 pounds, it's probably from EATING TOO MUCH.

It's actually Season 4 for Ruby.

While I find her personality a bit hard to take for anything other than very small doses, I think there's actually a decent mini-story (no pun intended) in her weight gain.

It seems very connected to the increasingly unhealthy relationship she's been in, and she's already lost half the weight she had regained (she'd lost over 400 pounds from her peak weight over 700). As a cautionary tale of how losing focus can quickly reverse your gains, it's probably better than the moral of the average reality show story.

Yeah, this one is among the many reality shows that my wife watches, you pick up stuff almost by osmosis in my house.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #3746
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Axemen is really bad. I can't imagine how awful it is trying to find footage suitable for the show. I find myself attracted to the show because it makes me feel intellectually superior.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:10 AM   #3747
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

It's 3:05am and I'm still awake. I need to wake up at 8:00 at the latest. Ideally, I should wake up at 7:30. I don't want to go to bed because my wife has had a horrendously violent cough for several days now, and I'm afraid of jostling her when I get into bed. If I wake her up, she will start coughing again, and frankly, the sound of her cough is starting to gross me out. It's one thing to hear it from three rooms away. It's yet another to hear it from less than a foot away.

I have no idea when I'll go to bed. I'm sleepy because I only got about 3 hours of sleep last night. I'm irritated because I bowled poorly tonight. I'm thirsty, but I don't want to drink water, and the only other thing I have is Mountain Dew. I think I'm also hungry, but if I eat this late, it'll just give me indigestion.

Eventually, I'll have to get into bed and probably wake her up. Then I'll still be awake due to all of the coughing, but I'll be lying in bed with nothing to do. At least if I'm awake now, I can play on the computer. I wish I could just fall asleep in my chair right now, but the chair ain't that comfy.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:31 AM   #3748
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Dola

I just went into the bedroom, and it turns out she's awake. She's watching TV. She saw me, said hello, and then started coughing again. Urgh. I really think she has no idea just how horrible it sounds. She insists that she's fine aside from the cough, but it really does sound vile.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #3749
Logan
Head Coach

She's probably allergic to you.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #3750
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Shes allergic to bad bowling.

Cowboy up.