Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #3651
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Enfield was 41-28 in two seasons at FGCU, and became the first coach to lead a 15th seed to the Sweet 16 with wins against No. 2 Georgetown and No. 7 San Diego State before falling to Florida, 62-50. He had a salary of $157,500. Although he was ready to start the third of a five-year contract that guarantees $5,000 annual raises, and got $15,000 in bonuses for making the NCAA tourney and Sweet 16, it ranks low — even by the standards of his A-Sun brethren — and is less than what FGCU women’s basketball coach Karl Smesko earns.

Enfield was making less than the women's basketball coach. Damn.

That said, that AD is a pretty solid guy who knows how to hire. If he managed to get a decent crop of interested candidates before Enfield, surely now he should have no problem selling a guy on that program.

They just better keep playing high flying basketball if they want kids showing up there like Enfield managed to get.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #3652
MrBug708
Head Coach

The thought process for the USC job is basically "what the hell? If it doesn't work, we're basically in the same place as now.

I think Tim Floyd would have been better
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #3653
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

How About a Free Market for College Athletes?

Last edited by Matthean : 04-02-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #3654
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Why not get the flavor of the week who will have zero problems bringing in elite talent and see what happens? Show highlights of FGCU to Andrew Wiggins and tell him he will be on Sportscenter every night and he is likely going to give USC big time consideration.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #3655
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

I wonder if Peter Jurkin will ever read this article, and feel like crap.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #3656
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The #6 prospect nationally (Aaron Gordon) just committed to Arizona this morning:

Arizona for Aaron Gordon

This is a huge get for Arizona. He joins the 19th best recruit (Rondae Hollis-Jefferson) and Duquesne transfer T.J. McConnell (3rd team all A-10 with 11 PPG and 6 assist as a soph), who sat out this season. These are 3 potential starters this year to add to Nick Johnson, Kaleb Tarczewski, Grant Jerrett, Jordan Mays, Gabe York and potentially Brandon Ashley (if he doesn't go pro). If Ashley stays, this is by far Arizona's most talented team since the Bibby/Simon/Dickerson/Jason Terry days. Even if he leaves, this is probably the first real team Miller has had here. He has a true point in McConnell, good defenders, athleticism, shooting and strong bigs.

Last edited by Arles : 04-02-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #3657
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post

Taylor Wayer should go up to Peter and ask Peter for his money.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #3658
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post

With that name, hasn't he been punished enough already?
Old 04-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #3659
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

You can't write an article like that and fail to even mention Title IX.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #3660
cuervo72
Head Coach

That...sounds a lot like what I've been saying.

(though I guess the post predates my thoughts in this thread, though I'm sure I've shared them before in some other thread around here...)
Old 04-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #3661
Logan
Head Coach

Think we talked about this a bit back in December, but here you go:

Practice video shows Rutgers basketball coach Mike Rice berated, pushed and used slurs against players - ESPN

I'm hoping the AD Pernetti survives this. The only thing he has going for him is that the Rutgers President signed off on the suspension that he handed down, so there's someone higher than him who will come under fire.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #3662
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Practice video shows Rutgers basketball coach Mike Rice berated, pushed and used slurs against players - ESPN

I'm hoping the AD Pernetti survives this. The only thing he has going for him is that the Rutgers President signed off on the suspension that he handed down, so there's someone higher than him who will come under fire.

Pernetti looked bad on the Outside the Lines segment. Someone is probably going to have to the fall for it eventually.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #3663
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

This is disgusting. why should kids be subject to this abuse from power-hungry assholes, who can threaten to ruin their lives if they disagree?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #3664
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Pernetti looked bad on the Outside the Lines segment. Someone is probably going to have to the fall for it eventually.

It was a bad move having him on so soon. He is normally fantastic with the media but I agree it didn't go well today.

Not that it matters in the context of what was going on, but I really wish Murdock wasn't being portrayed as some kind of hero in all this. The guy was blackmailing the school with this footage and they wouldn't play ball.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #3665
Jon
High School Varsity

I wonder if Rice will be fired based on "not being told the whole story."

As for Murdoch, they shouldn't be portraying him as a hero. The video is 2 years old and he basically told the school "pay me or this gets out."

Last edited by Jon : 04-02-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #3666
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Some of the AD comments in that article are unbelievable. Talks about it being a first time offense, hence the reason the punishment given was appropriate. I don't care what offense it was, after seeing that video, he'd be gone.

I hope Rutgers has some good negotiators because Eric Murdock is going to get a helluva wrongful termination judgement.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #3667
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Rice will never be able to recruit with this tape out there. I think they need to fire him. It will set Rutgers basketball back by weeks!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #3668
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Rice will never be able to recruit with this tape out there. I think they need to fire him. It will set Rutgers basketball back by weeks!

The funny thing is, if we fired him in December, and had a new guy in already, recruiting would have likely been better for this year since Rice swung and missed at all his top targets this cycle.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #3669
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The funny thing is, if we fired him in December, and had a new guy in already, recruiting would have likely been better for this year since Rice swung and missed at all his top targets this cycle.

Why did they even keep him? He hasn't really improved the program. Why the loyalty???

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #3670
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Why did they even keep him? He hasn't really improved the program. Why the loyalty???

Honestly, I don't know. I think Pernetti believed he could get his behavior under control. At the time, I thought the initial suspension was done for legal reasons to show a pattern of behavior that would be able to justify firing him for cause. But even if he had to fire him and pay out the rest of his contract, Pernetti had the capital at the time to pull it off since it was about a month after he got us into the Big Ten.

I think it would be a real shame if Pernetti paid for this with his job. He basically pulled off the impossible with the conference move but I wouldn't be surprised if this seals his fate.

Last edited by Logan : 04-02-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #3671
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think he should be arrested for assault.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #3672
molson
General Manager

Quote:
At the time, I thought the initial suspension was done for legal reasons to show a pattern of behavior that would be able to justify firing him for cause.

That makes sense to me. I think there's a real paranoid paralysis that a lot of organizations have about firing people. You'd think it wouldn't be too bad in college basketball where people get fired all the time, but in these kind of circumstances, I can see it clouding judgment. I've heard some real horror stories lately about people being kept on too long and the damage caused. In this case, that damage really could include Pernetti's job. Sometimes I want to try to go into employment law to advise for and defend proper firings. It just annoys me when this stuff gets botched and then blows up.

Last edited by molson : 04-02-2013 at 04:11 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #3673
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Haven't watched the tape but read the fairly detailed write-up on espn.

I'll just stipulate that it sounds like a cliche at this point but ... what was described there is less intense than what I saw in high school. And that was an enormously popular coach that virtually everyone on the team loved.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #3674
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

I'll just stipulate that it sounds like a cliche at this point but ... what was described there is less intense than what I saw in high school. And that was an enormously popular coach that virtually everyone on the team loved.

Ya, I'm sure this kind of stuff was pretty common a while ago, and I'm sure it still goes on today in some places. I don't think the students are scarred for life or anything, I'd be more concerned with the bad PR, and about other coaches using this as a recruiting tool to keep students from Rutgers. This just isn't the kind of headline that's helpful.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #3675
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

No Rutgers employee outside of the athletic department would have retained their job.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #3676
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You should watch the video. It's bad, the guy is a class a douchebag.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #3677
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
You should watch the video. It's bad, the guy is a class a douchebag.

Most of what's on video is assault. Plain and simple. Insane that man is able to coach anywhere.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #3678
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Shitty thing is if the kid had defended himself he would be thrown off the team and lost his scholarship.

Side question, but do these tactics even work anymore? The coaches that are seeing success don't seem to be of this mindset anymore.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #3679
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wonder who leaked it in the first place?
Old 04-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #3680
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Also this ESPN comment made me roffle:

Quote:
"Ay former baller here. My coach did this all time and he made us fight lions at midcourt. Players are so damn soft nowadays"
- Internet Warriorz
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #3681
Jon
High School Varsity

It was a former assistant coach who Rutgers fired. He went to the school and said if they didn't pay him then he would release the tape. The tape is a compilation of stuff from his 1st two years on the job.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #3682
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post

Some bro that made sure you never chose the Milwaukee Bucks in NBA Jam.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #3683
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Curious about something, figured I'd throw it out here.

A discussion elsewhere came down pretty hard on Deadspin for having the video of the injury up on Sunday (I assume it's still there). Since then, I've found a version on AJC.com (via WPIX-TV) that's got the injury itself blurred out & from a wide angle replay.

My question is whether in your normal surfing you've come across the unedited video being shown anywhere else online.

In case it isn't clear, I'm not looking for the video (less than zero interest in seeing it, I'll stick with TWD if I want to see something gruesome), I'm interested in whether Deadspin was pretty much alone in showing it in full or if it was at least somewhat common.

Some dumbfuck posted a still photo of it on facebook. I did everything I could to avoid seeing it short of burning my fucking computer, I guess. I was really pissed off.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #3684
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Lol at Sov

Last edited by Balldog : 04-02-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #3685
General Mike
Pro Starter

4th straight Rutgers basketball coach to go down in flames. Must be something in the water.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #3686
Jon
High School Varsity

It should be explained to the BB coaches that you're only to sing about and not lean down and drink " On the Banks of the Ild Raritan"
Old 04-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #3687
MrBug708
Head Coach

Neal hired on at UNM
Old 04-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #3688
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Neal hired on at UNM

There goes Alfords recruiter. Poor UCLA.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #3689
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA has solid recruiters most likely
Old 04-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #3690
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The national media has been all over the story this morning, I have a feeling changes are going to be made, if for no other reason then to control the PR backlash.
Scott has doubled-down on his support for Rush. Bad move. Better for him to just admit he screwed-up in hiring Rush, but instead he's trying to protect his own rep and not admit any fault. That almost always ends up being a lot worse than just admitting to having screwed-up initially.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #3691
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa up by 10 over Maryland with about 15 minutes to go.
Come on Hawks. Finish them.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #3692
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Same reason Penn State didn't cut ties with Sandusky. In the moment they were worried about the program and the school and they figured they could keep it a secret.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #3693
MrBug708
Head Coach

Rutgers would be good to hire Howland
Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #3694
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Rutgers would be good to hire Howland

In my dreams
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #3695
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Same reason Penn State didn't cut ties with Sandusky. In the moment they were worried about the program and the school and they figured they could keep it a secret.

How did they keep it a secret? I'm no insider and I knew what the reasons for the suspension were back in December.

On the flip side I did think he should have been fired then.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 04-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #3696
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Hope Pernetti fires him tomorrow or gets canned himself, though if the Chancellor himself saw it with Pernetti, then he's not going anywhere. I just want them to replace Rice with someone who doesn't suck.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:30 AM   #3697
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

He's going to be fired. With this getting national press and even having the Governor of the state chime in, it's just a matter of time.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #3698
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

I dunno, Rutger bsketball isn't exactly the cash cow PEnn State football is, RU likely loses money on its program.

The AD said this morning he knew the tapes would get out. I just think it was poorly handled, but not necessarly anything nefarious, and certainly not to the Penn State level.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #3699
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Hope Pernetti fires him tomorrow or gets canned himself, though if the Chancellor himself saw it with Pernetti, then he's not going anywhere. I just want them to replace Rice with someone who doesn't suck.

I'd like to see them try to not have the lowest paid coach in a Power conference for once.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 04-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #3700
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

eh, that ain't bad. i'll take a ball to the legs any day over suicide till you puke drills.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote